Diclonius
22-04-2023, 03:10 PM
****ing pathetic and run by clowns.

staunchhibby
22-04-2023, 03:12 PM
Shocking decision by var.We should get rid of it

Helensburghhibs
22-04-2023, 03:13 PM
The refs are poor as we have diluted any ability we did have to fill var roles. Get it to ****

eastterrace
22-04-2023, 03:14 PM
If there was no var he would have still been sent off but I agree how can var no see that his foot was low and he won the ball.

Mr Grieves
22-04-2023, 03:23 PM
It's completely pointless when you've got the same useless fuds in control

Gatecrasher
22-04-2023, 03:26 PM
:agree: it's a waste of time and money of it's not going to be used properly.

LunasBoots
22-04-2023, 03:27 PM
Same challenge that just after Christmas twice was deemed non red card for Ryan Jack in two different games, also **** knows where they've plucked this amateur ref from he's atrocious

SickBoy32
22-04-2023, 03:30 PM
The refs are poor as we have diluted any ability we did have to fill var roles. Get it to ****

:top marks

This is the issue, and this is why we need VAR binned

Get these lower league refs back where they belong

HarpOnHibee
22-04-2023, 03:34 PM

Abolishing VAR won't abolish the clowns though. They'll still continue to make the same decisions without it.

The Harp Awakes
22-04-2023, 03:37 PM
Absolutely mental. Refs can make mistakes fine, but for VAR to back Jeggo's red up there is totally insane.

Hibbyradge
22-04-2023, 03:39 PM
They're going to say he went in studs up with a straight leg

Aldo
22-04-2023, 03:39 PM
Look what happened down south.

Officials not getting matches because of incompetence and poor decisions.

Do we think the officials running this utter shambles will apologise and call out the officials errors? Not just the ones on the pitch.

Do I ****.

I expect nothing as there is no consequence for poor performances so they can do what they want and get away with it.

Helensburghhibs
22-04-2023, 03:40 PM
The problem is the initial decision. If it is debatable in the slightest then var can't tell him to look at it under the current guidance. It should be if there is any doubt, not the clear and obvious crap we have now.

GreenCastle
Abolishing VAR won't abolish the clowns though. They'll still continue to make the same decisions without it.

Yup.

Would rather keep it and show how incompetent they are.

It needs better people in charge of it. Not sure part time amateurs- actual professionals from anywhere in the world - not jobs for the boys - who are scared to correct their ref mates errors.

Baader
What is the point if it isn't used to correct ridiculous decisions like today's red?

Scottish football needs to remember fans are paying customers and they're being cheated.

Aldo
22-04-2023, 03:41 PM
They're going to say he went in studs up with a straight leg

Look midweek with Erik Lamellas challenge. He got a yellow after a 30 second review on a red.

Officials in Scotland are shocking and as I’ve mentioned can do what they want as there are no consequences for their shockingly poor performances

GreenCastle
22-04-2023, 03:41 PM
Look what happened down south.

Officials not getting matches because of incompetence and poor decisions.

Do we think the officials running this utter shambles will apologise and call out the officials errors? Not just the ones on the pitch.

Do I ****.

I expect nothing as there is no consequence for poor performances so they can do what they want and get away with it.

Not enough refs here to demote.

Shambles of a set up.

Aldo
22-04-2023, 03:42 PM

Shambles of a set up.

Exactly. Absolute joke

Carheenlea
22-04-2023, 03:42 PM
VAR was meant to be a resource to make the referees job easier by making the correct calls and taking them out of the limelight.
The reality has been the opposite, and puts referees under even greater scrutiny than they were before.

Easily the worst addition to the football in the history of the sport. Todays scandal has to be the final straw, and maybe those pro VAR advocates still clinging by a thread onto some hope of its practicality in Scotland must surely now have to admit defeat.

Needs to be abolished for the future betterment of the game.

Ron D Hibbie
22-04-2023, 03:43 PM
Absolutely mental. Refs can make mistakes fine, but for VAR to back Jeggo's red up there is totally insane.

Ref on var is chris graham the guy who was the ref at ross county when marshall bundled into net.

GreenCastle
22-04-2023, 03:46 PM
Exactly. Absolute joke

I would open applications from other parts of the world but reality is you won’t get English refs as probably pay is less here.

Carheenlea
22-04-2023, 03:47 PM
Ref on var is chris graham the guy who was the ref at ross county when marshall bundled into net.

A clown who obviously thinks his job is to make decisions regardless of whether there is a decision to make.

HarpOnHibee
22-04-2023, 03:50 PM
VAR was meant to be a resource to make the referees job easier by making the correct calls and taking them out of the limelight.
The reality has been the opposite, and puts referees under even greater scrutiny than they were before.

Easily the worst addition to the football in the history of the sport. Todays scandal has to be the final straw, and maybe those pro VAR advocates still clinging by a thread onto some hope of its practicality in Scotland must surely now have to admit defeat.

Needs to be abolished for the future betterment of the game.

But it's clear that VAR as a system itself isn't the issue here. It's the people running the game and that system, the same people who will continue to run the game even after VAR is taken away. At the very least, VAR makes it even more obvious (as if it wasn't obvious enough), that our game is completely corrupt.

overdrive
22-04-2023, 03:51 PM
Not often I agree with that welt Andy Walker but well done Andy Walker for calling out this clear corruption amongst the refs/VARs and shame on the SFA. Shame on Sky for apologising.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/sky-sports-issue-andy-walker-26644732.amp

HoboHarry
22-04-2023, 04:00 PM

Shambles of a set up.

I think there are plenty but unless they come from Lanarkshire or Glasgow they have no chance of getting to the top level.

Just_Jimmy
22-04-2023, 04:02 PM
Scottish football is bent

I've said that so many times on here.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Tambo
22-04-2023, 04:02 PM
Get rid of these 🤡 refs then VAR.

Callum_62
22-04-2023, 04:03 PM
https://streamable.com/5umhln

Incase anyone hasn't seen that vicious tackle by Jeggo

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Unseen work
22-04-2023, 04:05 PM
I genuinely can’t believe anyone, let alone professionals watch that and think it’s a red card.

There is next to no force and is clear his sole intention is to play the ball.

Absolutely laughable and to be honest embarassing that’s given as a red card in our league.

It will get to the point where no one will tackle

RyeSloan
22-04-2023, 04:10 PM
I genuinely can’t believe anyone, let alone professionals watch that and think it’s a red card.

There is next to no force and is clear his sole intention is to play the ball.

Absolutely laughable and to be honest embarassing that’s given as a red card in our league.

It will get to the point where no one will tackle

Unless you are Ryan Jack

https://twitter.com/Zeshankenzo/status/1619365194052009985?lang=en

Mcbizz1998
22-04-2023, 04:11 PM

Exactly, as infuriating as the refereeing is in this country you can almost live with it when they get one look at it.

When they have a team of these incompetents watching replays and still get it wrong, it’s unacceptable and makes one think that it’s more than just an “honest mistake”!

Scotty Leither
22-04-2023, 04:13 PM
https://streamable.com/5umhln

Incase anyone hasn't seen that vicious tackle by Jeggo

Viewing that now back on the bus. I didn’t get a clear view at the match, but I said at the time I thought Jeggo got a touch on the ball. Watching that back, how the **** VAR backs up the referee there is beyond me.

We might have won that game with a full complement of players and it could potentially cost us a European spot. I hope Hibs appeal it and kick up merry hell about it.

Oh and the referee was laughing at the end of the game as he walked up the tunnel.

A total halfwit woefully out his depth.

Since452
22-04-2023, 04:16 PM
Just back to the car. Livid. Absolutely killed the game for us. That ref was abysmal. Little dweeb.

Carheenlea
22-04-2023, 04:18 PM
Number of games ruined has been considerably higher than before its introduction.

VAR is anti-football.

Northernhibee
22-04-2023, 04:19 PM
Ref clearly had some sort of vendetta against Nisbet as well.

Keith_M
22-04-2023, 04:21 PM
Can we have the Maltese Refs back please?

HoboHarry
22-04-2023, 04:22 PM
Number of games ruined has been considerably higher than before its introduction.

VAR is anti-football.

I really don't think VAR is the problem, it's just highlighting the level of decision making that's acceptable to the SFA in Scotland.

Steven79
22-04-2023, 04:24 PM
Ref clearly had some sort of vendetta against Nisbet as well.He couldn't wait to book him.

Utter ****** and I hope his next **** is a hedgehog.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
22-04-2023, 04:27 PM
The solution to awful referees was not to involve even more referees.

Oscar T Grouch
22-04-2023, 04:28 PM
The only way there will be any change is we as supporters refuse to pay and go watch the football. Guaranteed if club CEOs started receiving letters from supporters telling them until something is done about the blatant cheating and or ruining of the game by refs and VAR then no more tickets will be bought. Nothing short of that will change anything because it won’t affect anyone’s pockets. Watch how fast it changes if clubs see a significant drop in attendances and income.

Carheenlea
22-04-2023, 04:37 PM
I really don't think VAR is the problem, it's just highlighting the level of decision making that's acceptable to the SFA in Scotland.

I’d argue that because most decisions in football are matter of opinion rather than matter of fact, VAR is over complicating incidents where before, decisions would be made impulsively, but now are scrutinised to the degree where referees then start to look for things that aren’t there because of pressure to make decisions based on the usage of VAR.

We always got bad decisions, but with VAR we are getting even more than we did before. Not really sure what it’s supposed to have brought to the game other than wreak havoc?

Hibbyradge
22-04-2023, 04:40 PM
He couldn't wait to book him.

Utter ****** and I hope his next **** is a hedgehog.

Nisbet deserved the booking. It was a ridiculous foul.

marinello59
22-04-2023, 04:42 PM
Nisbet deserved the booking. It was a ridiculous foul.

Aye, Nisbet showed a real lack of discipline there.

ACLeith
22-04-2023, 04:48 PM
I think there are plenty but unless they come from Lanarkshire or Glasgow they have no chance of getting to the top level.

HH, I wish I could say you are exaggerating but sadly and angrily, you are merely stating facts. Though for 100% accuracy I would add Renfrew and Ayrshire to the 2 you mention. And I am commenting from direct knowledge.

Northernhibee
22-04-2023, 04:51 PM
HH, I wish I could say you are exaggerating but sadly and angrily, you are merely stating facts. Though for 100% accuracy I would add Renfrew and Ayrshire to the 2 you mention. And I am commenting from direct knowledge.
I honestly see better refs at junior level in Dundee.

Donegal Hibby
22-04-2023, 04:57 PM
I wasn't a fan of VAR before it came into the Scottish game and definitely my opinion hasn't changed on it from what I've seen this season , I think it's actually making the game a hell of a lot worse though the standard of the refereeing and official's have had a major bearing on it .

After that refereeing performance by Craig Napier today there's no way he should get another top flight game again . He was a absolute embarrassment to Scottish football today . These clowns have to go for the good of the game . It really is totally amateur stuff week after week!

Onion
22-04-2023, 05:06 PM

Disagree. Nothing wrong with VAR and everything wrong with the officials.

The little prick in the middle today just smacked of wee man syndrome. He was just far too arrogant to reverse or even look again at his ridiculous Red Card. He could easily have cost LJ his job and Hibs ten/hunderds of thousands of pounds.

We absolutely must KEEP VAR to shine a light on the cheats and incompetent official in our game. Only be repeatedly showing them up fro what they are will we eventually shame them into either being better trained, less biased/corrupt or both.

The beeks will reverse that Red Card and Hibs will get an apology, but this is no compensation.

jacomo
22-04-2023, 05:15 PM

The little prick in the middle today just smacked of wee man syndrome. He was just far too arrogant to reverse or even look again at his ridiculous Red Card. He could easily have cost LJ his job and Hibs ten/hunderds of thousands of pounds.

We absolutely must KEEP VAR to shine a light on the cheats and incompetent official in our game. Only be repeatedly showing them up fro what they are will we eventually shame them into either being better trained, less biased/corrupt or both.

The beeks will reverse that Red Card and Hibs will get an apology, but this is no compensation.

It slows the game down and takes joy away from goal celebrations… for what?

VAR is all downside no upside for me.

worcesterhibby
22-04-2023, 05:17 PM
Its not even a foul. He toe pokes the ball. Nothing remotely dangerous about it unless you are half a second late into the tackle as the st Johnstone player was...his fault entirely..if anything shoukd have been a foul to hibs. So much arguing on here about whether the referees are bent or incompetent when its perfecy obvious they are both.

Callum_62
22-04-2023, 05:17 PM

VAR is all downside no upside for me.It definately has a upside with Offisde goals in particular

We have just made a total mess of it up here

There's some calls in England that are still wrong but for the most part they have it pretty good and have kept some physicality in the game

Callum_62
22-04-2023, 05:18 PM
Its not even a foul. He toe pokes the ball. Nothing remotely dangerous about it unless you are half a second late into the tackle as the st Johnstone player was...his fault if anything shoukd have been a foul to hibs. So much arguing on here about whether the referees are bent or incompetent when its perfecy obvious they are both.Funnily enough I sent a video to my rangers supporting mate captioned 'red card'

He said it was that bad he had to check who actually got sent off

worcesterhibby
22-04-2023, 05:20 PM
It definately has a upside with Offisde goals in particular

We have just made a total mess of it up here

There's some calls in England that are still wrong but for the most part they have it pretty good and have kept some physicality in the game

Really ? Completely disagree, they just draw a wee line wherever they fancy and seem desperate to chalk goals off when its blatantly obvious the attacker is level. VAR is utter pish

Callum_62
22-04-2023, 05:21 PM
Really ? Completely disagree, they just draw a wee line wherever they fancy and seem desperate to chalk goals off when its blatantly obvious the attacker is level. VAR is utter pishI'm talking more about the ones that were flagged offside that were on

GreenGray
22-04-2023, 05:23 PM
Did anyone actually think it would work? Was doomed from the start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worcesterhibby
22-04-2023, 05:25 PM
I'm talking more about the ones that were flagged offside that were on

They appear to be very, very much in the minority

easty
22-04-2023, 05:25 PM
Did anyone actually think it would work? Was doomed from the start

I think most people acknowledged that it would be the same useless refs using it. Rubbish in, rubbish out.

Onion
22-04-2023, 05:26 PM

VAR is all downside no upside for me.

Agree there have been some truly awful examples this season, but in what way was today's game affected by poor use of VAR ? Both goals celebrated straight away, no drama with VAR review and no contentious decisions ..... apart from just one. And that one decision was so badly handled that it highlights the incompetence / corruption of the referee. IMO that progresses the game and gives us a better chance of having fairer / better decisions in future.

ACLeith
22-04-2023, 05:26 PM

For years I have wanted video evidence brought in as I thought it would reduce the number if wrong/corrupt decisions made. Instead, it has increased them.

I agree that the problem is with those running it rather than the technology itself, allied to the shocking Refs. But when I think back to past decades of Refs then are the current mob any worse? I give you Davidson, Tait, McCurry, wharton, etc, etc

JohnM1875
22-04-2023, 05:33 PM
That today might well be the worst example of var ever.

I get the ref on the pitch making a mistake. But for that to go to VAR is honestly beyond a joke. Embarrassing doesn't sum it up.

But again, the unqualified ref won't receive any kind of punishment. Leagues a joke.

FitbaFolkKen
22-04-2023, 05:35 PM
I would open applications from other parts of the world but reality is you won’t get English refs as probably pay is less here.

Part time refs here, that’s the big problem in my view. Make them full time professionals with a decent package that would allow applicants from out side Scotland to consider it a viable job to relocate for.

worcesterhibby
22-04-2023, 05:38 PM
Agree there have been some truly awful examples this season, but in what way was today's game affected by poor use of VAR ? Both goals celebrated straight away, no drama with VAR review and no contentious decisions ..... apart from just one. And that one decision was so badly handled that it highlights the incompetence / corruption of the referee. IMO that progresses the game and gives us a better chance of having fairer / better decisions in future.

The problem is that refs are not just incompetent they are corrupt so introducibg VAR not only slows the game down and costs huge amounts of money...it also gives corrupt refs twice as many opportunities to cheat. VAR is Tom Kite

JohnM1875
22-04-2023, 05:38 PM
That's exactly it though. Our refs have the luxury of ****ing up! It's the easiest gig in Europe.

Something needs to be done about it. It's genuinely embarrassing. Couldn't care less if that means these imposters out of a job.

ancient hibee
22-04-2023, 05:39 PM
That today might well be the worst example of var ever.

I get the ref on the pitch making a mistake. But for that to go to VAR is honestly beyond a joke. Embarrassing doesn't sum it up.

But again, the unqualified ref won't receive any kind of punishment. Leagues a joke.

What do you mean “unqualified ref”? Anything but.Presumably VAR called the on field ref to see it and he still called it red.

Victor
22-04-2023, 05:39 PM
Its not even a foul. He toe pokes the ball. Nothing remotely dangerous about it unless you are half a second late into the tackle as the st Johnstone player was...his fault entirely..if anything shoukd have been a foul to hibs. So much arguing on here about whether the referees are bent or incompetent when its perfecy obvious they are both.

Agree with this. It was not a tackle. Jeggo was going for a loose ball, which he won. The St. Johnstone player was not in possession and got in Jeggo’s way as he cleared. Don’t know which rule book the referee was using, but it wasn’t one that exists in the real world.

easty
22-04-2023, 05:40 PM
Part time refs here, that’s the big problem in my view. Make them full time professionals with a decent package that would allow applicants from out side Scotland to consider it a viable job to relocate for.

I don’t think the part-time argument makes any sense. What’s the need for them to be full time? What benefits does that give our game?

You make these refs full time and they don’t become better refs. They know the rules already, theyre just incapable of doing a good job.

Paying someone more to do a job they’re doing badly is completely the wrong way to go.

Golden Bear
22-04-2023, 05:41 PM
I've just heard John Collins on the radio slaughtering today's Var officials, he said that they should never work again due to their incompetence.

Steven79
I don’t think the part-time argument makes any sense. What’s the need for them to be full time? What benefits does that give our game?

You make these refs full time and they don’t become better refs. They know the rules already, theyre just incapable of doing a good job.

Paying someone more to do a job they’re doing badly is completely the wrong way to go.Pretty much this but maybe it would attract a better level of ref in the future.

Since452
John Collins didn't hold back on the radio. Saying the VAR guy shouldn't work again. Couldn't agree more. That could cost us a European place. He'll probably get a 5 game radio ban.

Aldo
22-04-2023, 05:43 PM
I have watched the clip about a dozen times and I’m really struggling to see why this is even a foul.

****ing corrupt!

They need called out

JohnM1875
22-04-2023, 05:43 PM
What do you mean “unqualified ref”? Anything but.Presumably VAR called the on field ref to see it and he still called it red.

What do you think I mean? Our refs aren't classed as professional. So, for this level of football, unqualified.

Steven79
22-04-2023, 05:46 PM
I have watched the clip about a dozen times and I’m really struggling to see why this is even a foul.

****ing corrupt!

They need called outSame here.

We need to go to town about this.

Aldo
22-04-2023, 05:49 PM
What do you think I mean? Our refs aren't classed as professional. So, for this level of football, unqualified.

As I posted above I cannot see how this is even a foul but the officials have decided it’s a straight red.

If this isn’t rescinded totally on appeal it’s even clearly the officials are corrupt.

There are zero consequences for their poor displays and decisions.

The club better come out and call this for what it is!

JohnM1875
22-04-2023, 05:53 PM
As I posted above I cannot see how this is even a foul but the officials have decided it’s a straight red.

If this isn’t rescinded totally on appeal it’s even clearly the officials are corrupt.

There are zero consequences for their poor displays and decisions.

The club better come out and call this for what it is!

Agree. It's never a free kick in a million years. Jeggo wins the ball

We'll absolutely win an appeal. The decision will be rightfully slaughtered but nothing will change in the standard of refereeing. An absolute ****ing joke.

HoboHarry
22-04-2023, 05:55 PM
John Collins didn't hold back on the radio. Saying the VAR guy shouldn't work again. Couldn't agree more. That could cost us a European place. He'll probably get a 5 game radio ban.

He's right too. The English VAR/referee Lee Mason got canned for his failing to apply VAR protocol. No chance of that happening here though.

Aldo
22-04-2023, 05:57 PM
Agree. It's never a free kick in a million years. Jeggo wins the ball

We'll absolutely win an appeal. The decision will be rightfully slaughtered but nothing will change in the standard of refereeing. An absolute ****ing joke.

The St J player actually kicks Jeggo’s right leg which is tucked under his bum.

The officials in the country are a laughing stock and this just adds another farcical decision. They need called out st every opportunity

If anything I would suggest the St J player gets a retrospective yellow for simulation.

Since452
22-04-2023, 05:57 PM
It's all very well appealing. We'll appeal and we'll win it but the damage is done. Played pretty much the whole second half with 10 men. Took the wind completely out our sails and ruined the game. It's about time they came out and explained their reasoning for decisions.

Aldo
22-04-2023, 06:03 PM
It's all very well appealing. We'll appeal and we'll win it but the damage is done. Played pretty much the whole second half with 10 men. Took the wind completely out our sails and ruined the game. It's about time they came out and explained their reasoning for decisions.

They never have done and never will as long as the current regime is in charge!

worcesterhibby
22-04-2023, 06:03 PM
The St J player actually kicks Jeggo’s right leg which is tucked under his bum.

The officials in the country are a laughing stock and this just adds another farcical decision. They need called out st every opportunity

If anything I would suggest the St J player gets a retrospective yellow for simulation.

Im not sure laughing stock is the right term for corruption. The ref was laughing as he left the field. All referees are west coast stooges and no doubt freemasons as well, just like the police who are so unbiased in the way the treat Hibs and Rangers fans.

Gloucester Hibs
22-04-2023, 06:05 PM

Paying someone more to do a job they’re doing badly is completely the wrong way to go.

It makes plenty sense. Making refs full time opens up a massive pool of potential refereeing talent which is currently limited to the Largs mafia.

Aldo
22-04-2023, 06:06 PM
Im not sure laughing stock is the right term for corruption. The ref was laughing as he left the field. All referees are west coast stooges and no doubt freemasons as well, just like the police who are so unbiased in the way the treat Hibs and Rangers fans.

They are a laughing stock at how amateurish they are.

We already know they are corrupt and today the officials cheated us!

worcesterhibby
22-04-2023, 06:06 PM
It makes plenty sense. Making refs full time opens up a massive pool of potential refereeing talent which is currently limited to the Largs mafia.

The largs mafia will still be in charge, we would just have higher paid cheats. The whole system needs to be torn apart and started again.

worcesterhibby
22-04-2023, 06:07 PM
They are a laughing stock at how amateurish they are.

We already know they are corrupt and today the officials cheated us!

Fair enough Aldo..we are on the same page. Everyone involved in choosing refs needs sacking.

Aldo
22-04-2023, 06:08 PM
Fair enough Aldo..we are on the same page. Everyone involved in choosing refs needs sacking.

Totally agree

JohnM1875
22-04-2023, 06:08 PM

He shouldn't ref at this level again. This decision is going to get a LOT of limelight. Rightly so. But this isn't the first time he's lost control of a game. Useless

Donegal Hibby
22-04-2023, 06:09 PM
The largs mafia will still be in charge, we would just have higher paid cheats. The whole system needs to be torn apart and started again.
LJ says the system is broken in this article.
https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/lee-johnson-blasts-hibs-red-26759682

Gloucester Hibs
22-04-2023, 06:09 PM

Didn’t we all agree that when the Maltese(?) refs took charge they did a pretty good job, what with having no agenda or entrenched bias and all?

Spike Mandela
22-04-2023, 06:15 PM
VAR shouldn’t be scrapped. The decision today was tailor made for VAR. Ref makes a rash decision, VAR ref should look at the pictures we’ve all seen and politely asked the ref to look at the monitor and maybe reconsider his decision.

For a VAR official to just back up his decision smacks of covering up for his pal’s mistake, incompetence or something more sinister. Scotland and the SFA is just **** for integrity and honesty imo.

HoboHarry
22-04-2023, 06:17 PM
Didn’t we all agree that when the Maltese(?) refs took charge they did a pretty good job, what with having no agenda or entrenched bias and all?

That was for a very short time and there had been so much publicity given that even the players were on their best behaviour. That honeymoon period would have ended quickly if the strike had continued.

JohnM1875
22-04-2023, 06:19 PM
VAR shouldn’t be scrapped. The decision today was tailor made for VAR. Ref makes a rash decision, VAR ref should look at the pictures we’ve all seen and politely asked the ref to look at the monitor and maybe reconsider his decision.

For a VAR official to just back up his decision smacks of covering up for his pal’s mistake, incompetence or something more sinister. Scotland and the SFA is just **** for integrity and honesty imo.

So then surely var should get scrapped if it's just offering up the same **** that so many of us hoped it would eradicate.

Else, What's the point in it?!

Mikey_1875
22-04-2023, 06:22 PM
John Collins had it spot on. If a Var official is looking at that multiple times and coming to the conclusion that it’s a red card then they shouldn’t work in the game again.

It’s not even close. It’s unbelievably incompetent and it’s happening every week in games across the country.

Hibbyradge
22-04-2023, 06:24 PM
For years I have wanted video evidence brought in as I thought it would reduce the number if wrong/corrupt decisions made. Instead, it has increased them.

I agree that the problem is with those running it rather than the technology itself, allied to the shocking Refs. But when I think back to past decades of Refs then are the current mob any worse? I give you Davidson, Tait, McCurry, wharton, etc, etc

It hasn't increased them. It's highlighted them where previously they were hidden so it appears there are more than before.

Alfred E Newman
22-04-2023, 06:24 PM

I rest my case mi'lud.

B.H.F.C
22-04-2023, 06:33 PM
Napier was a disgrace today. Totally lost the head and made it all about him. The red card will get the headlines but the way he officiated, and acted, throughout was a joke. His insistence on telling us where to take every throw in from was utterly bizarre. Making the physio come on when Nisbet and the physio said the physio didn’t need to come on was ridiculous. Wee Craig knew best though. CJ was assaulted and he didn’t even speak to the boy, a wee bit of an argument in the dugout was more important. By a million miles the worst I’ve seen in a very long time.

Conj
22-04-2023, 06:39 PM

Graham Grainger was the ref at Ross County

neil7908
22-04-2023, 06:41 PM

Yup. I'll go against the grain here but VAR, done correctly, is a positive imo. Loads of leagues around the world are using it.

But, shock horror, in Scotland we have a football establishment that couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. Unless of course it was for the Lodge.

The technology isn't the problem - the issue is the same as its been for decades. Corrupt or just terrible officials.

Chorley Hibee
22-04-2023, 06:52 PM
LJ says the system is broken in this article.
https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/lee-johnson-blasts-hibs-red-26759682

Pleased he has spoken out, but still to softly, softly for my liking.

We should be all guns blazing here.

LewysGot2
22-04-2023, 06:56 PM
Napier was on View from the Terrace a few weeks back. Think he's a GP. Was on it because he's the first person in top flight Scottish football to come out as gay. In the interview he said he'd been rubbish at playing football so took up refereeing as it allowed him to be part of the game in another way. Unfortunately he referees like hes no appreciation of what it is to play the game. He's also got a very unfortunate man management style - quite officious and condescending for someone built like a whippet (how did he get through the juniors? Maybe he just runs fast). Hope his bedside manner with his patients is better!

As for Graham. Clown.

Ron D Hibbie
22-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Graham Grainger was the ref at Ross County

Sorry my mistake.

Donegal Hibby
22-04-2023, 07:31 PM
Pleased he has spoken out, but still to softly, softly for my liking.

We should be all guns blazing here.
I suppose the manager has to be careful not to land in hot water on the situation though I'm sure the club will have there say once again though for all the good it will do . Surely the SFA have to at some point see that the refereeing is totally well below the standard it should be ! Another article on LJ on redcard.
https://news.stv.tv/sport/bad-as-ive-seen-lee-johnson-hits-out-at-officials-after-horrendous-red-card

22-04-2023, 07:33 PM
Napier was on View from the Terrace a few weeks back. Think he's a GP. Was on it because he's the first person in top flight Scottish football to come out as gay. In the interview he said he'd been rubbish at playing football so took up refereeing as it allowed him to be part of the game in another way. Unfortunately he referees like hes no appreciation of what it is to play the game. He's also got a very unfortunate man management style - quite officious and condescending for someone built like a whippet (how did he get through the juniors? Maybe he just runs fast). Hope his bedside manner with his patients is better!

As for Graham. Clown.

He's rubbish at refereeing too so should maybe take up an admin job at the SFA and he can still be part of the game that way.

percy veer
22-04-2023, 07:34 PM
:top marks

This is the issue, and this is why we need VAR binned

Get these lower league refs back where they belong

Tick in the Box job, utterly dreadful gave nisbet nowt all day deliberately when he refused treatment

Willis1875
22-04-2023, 07:36 PM
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23474133.lee-johnson-eviscerates-craig-napier-broken-refereeing-system/

He steams in here aswell and brings up why not all games were 3pm KO’s today

snedzuk
22-04-2023, 07:37 PM
Napier was a disgrace today. Totally lost the head and made it all about him. The red card will get the headlines but the way he officiated, and acted, throughout was a joke. His insistence on telling us where to take every throw in from was utterly bizarre. Making the physio come on when Nisbet and the physio said the physio didn’t need to come on was ridiculous. Wee Craig knew best though. CJ was assaulted and he didn’t even speak to the boy, a wee bit of an argument in the dugout was more important. By a million miles the worst I’ve seen in a very long time.

This - the VAR and the red card will attract attention but the rest will be forgotten. The throw ins and free kicks being taken from the exact blade of grass - until St J were piling on pressure near the end and could take them anywhere. The incident with our physio (who I was livid with for going on - he should have walked back to the dugout). The clearance in the second half that landed at - was it Hanlons - feet. Ref then blows because St J player down in their box - result - restarts the game with a drop ball at their keeper (while Cadden was going mental). I'm struggling to remember anything as inept as that 'performance', but it will be overshadowed by the red and VAR.

Iain G
22-04-2023, 07:38 PM
We need full time officials who are held accountable

Chorley Hibee
22-04-2023, 07:39 PM
I suppose the manager has to be careful not to land in hot water on the situation though I'm sure the club will have there say once again though for all the good it will do . Surely the SFA have to at some point see that the refereeing is totally well below the standard it should be ! Another article on LJ on redcard.
https://news.stv.tv/sport/bad-as-ive-seen-lee-johnson-hits-out-at-officials-after-horrendous-red-card

More to my liking, but I'd just take the ban etc and call them out for what they are.

GreenCastle
22-04-2023, 07:41 PM
Aberdeen made a statement midweek and while I think Shinnie was a red - serious questions have to be asked about the appeal
Process and level of refs in Scotland.

Hibernian Verse
22-04-2023, 07:41 PM
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23474133.lee-johnson-eviscerates-craig-napier-broken-refereeing-system/

That is excellent and well worthy of the incoming 5 match ban.

Trinity Hibee
22-04-2023, 07:42 PM
Aberdeen made a statement midweek and while I think Shinnie was a red - serious questions have to be asked about the appeal
Process and level of refs in Scotland.

It’s an unfit for purpose process. We have to appeal this and if we don’t win it just highlights the incompetence/bias/whatever you want to call it even further.

snedzuk
22-04-2023, 07:43 PM

Thanks - good stuff rom LJ. It was brought up in the report on the Killie game earlier that it would be wrong to underestimate the importance of Killie knowing the Ross County result before their game.

JimBHibees
22-04-2023, 07:49 PM

Graham Grainger was the ref at Ross county. Same knob that never gave us anything at home to Motherwell.. not Chris Graham.

Not In The Know
22-04-2023, 07:49 PM
There is nothing wrong with the concept of VAR. it’s the total muppets operating it that is the problem. The pea brained self righteous lodge twats operate it like a ***in committee. Eg we can’t over rule brother *****tain as we need to stick together and show solidarity and much staunchness.

Lago
22-04-2023, 07:52 PM
It's an absolute waste of money.

Ron D Hibbie
22-04-2023, 07:54 PM
Graham Grainger was the ref at Ross county. Same knob that never gave us anything at home to Motherwell.. not Chris Graham.

Yeah sorry already apologised. Got my grahams mixed up. 😂😂

Silky
22-04-2023, 08:02 PM

I think he's bang on here. This season's referring has been an absolute disgrace across the board. As much as everyone is competing against each other, clubs need to support each other in instances like this. Come out united and call it out.

JimBHibees
22-04-2023, 08:05 PM
Yeah sorry already apologised. Got my grahams mixed up. 😂😂

:aok:

gbhibby
22-04-2023, 08:25 PM
I have to say that in all my 57 years of watching football that is up there with one of the worst refereeing decisions I have seen. To make matters worse there is another referee watching that and did not ask him to go to the monitor as he made a clear and obvious error. Agree with Michael Stewart that it is not even a booking. We have suffered more than any other club from poor on field decisions and the lack of interventions from VAR. Its time for the clubs to call for a summit and referees to be confronted with examples and clubs given explanations of how a decision was arrived at and also should be made to give explanations of why VAR did not intervene. The decision today and the one at Ross County are only two examples I could list more but these are the most baffling.

Stonewall
22-04-2023, 08:35 PM
I would have sent off the St Johnstone player for recklessly lunging into a tackle he had no chance of winning. This endangering not only his opponent but himself.

Carheenlea
22-04-2023, 08:38 PM

Well said Lee Johnson :top marks

Won’t go down well at all within the hierarchy of the game, but he’s said what’s needed to be said.

1875godsgift
22-04-2023, 08:48 PM

He's gonna get crucified for that but good on him for speaking out :top marks

Carheenlea
22-04-2023, 08:56 PM

If he does, I’d like to think some of his fellow managers would offer solidarity and express their own displeasure with the refereeing system. It’s the only way that pressure would build to actively make improvements. Managers occasionally letting off steam doesn’t really do much to promote the case for the association to seriously strive to up their game to an acceptable level. Collectively, they could.

marinello59
22-04-2023, 08:57 PM

:agree:
He has said nothing wrong.

GreenCastle
22-04-2023, 08:58 PM

It makes sense.

No accountability- small referee pool so same refs keep getting games - allowed to make mistakes and never learn / keep making mistakes.

It’s been a sham in Scotland too long and clubs should get together and demand better standards. Fans / players and the league deserve better.

gbhibby
22-04-2023, 09:05 PM

Well said Lee.

Dmas
22-04-2023, 09:15 PM
It makes sense.

No accountability- small referee pool so same refs keep getting games - allowed to make mistakes and never learn / keep making mistakes.

It’s been a sham in Scotland too long and clubs should get together and demand better standards. Fans / players and the league deserve better.

I think whilst referees are part time in this country they should be afforded a margin of error, the fact we now have people watching replays able to interact with these guys and still getting it wrong is the major worry for me how is VAR not helping, there an argument it’s made it worse, how anyone is watching replays of jeggo’s red card today and not asking the ref to watch it again is at it IMO as clear a mistake as you’ll see which will now be a 3 game ban as SFA won’t over turn both on field and VAR decision

CL0762
22-04-2023, 09:17 PM
VAR is not the issue, the incompetent clowns operating VAR are the issue.

In the GC I’ve counted 9 (pre and post VAR) decisions that have went against us.

Rocky “handball” at Tynie (took 7 mins to decide)
Youan (or maybe Myko?) goal at Tannadice
Sands handball at Ibrox
Youan double yellow at CP
Newell “handball” vs Livingston
Duk penalty at Pittodrie
Fletcher dive at Tannadice
Melkersen “offside” at Rugby Park
Marshall away at Ross County

I genuinely cannot ever remember a season where we have had so many blatant decisions go against us and that’s before the Jeggo red card today.

That’s 10 games out of 33 played where a major game changing decision has been made. And there’s probably more that I just can’t recall right now.

The officiating in this country is an absolute disgrace.

Silky
22-04-2023, 09:22 PM
If he does, I’d like to think some of his fellow managers would offer solidarity and express their own displeasure with the refereeing system. It’s the only way that pressure would build to actively make improvements. Managers occasionally letting off steam doesn’t really do much to promote the case for the association to seriously strive to up their game to an acceptable level. Collectively, they could.

I think that's the problem. Too often it is, as you say, a manager letting off steam. I think the SFA just see it as sour grapes; if managers, and clubs even, start displaying more of a united front then that's the only way something will get done. Either that, or someone takes a case to CAS. Something needs to be done.

1875godsgift
22-04-2023, 09:24 PM

Interesting point he made about the LMA in England - basically a trade union for managers but they seem to have quite a bit of influence with the FA and the governance of the game?

I've never heard of anything similar in Scotland....

GreenCastle
22-04-2023, 09:26 PM
VAR is not the issue, the incompetent clowns operating VAR are the issue.

In the GC I’ve counted 9 (pre and post VAR) decisions that have went against us.

Rocky “handball” at Tynie (took 7 mins to decide)
Youan (or maybe Myko?) goal at Tannadice
Sands handball at Ibrox
Youan double yellow at CP
Newell “handball” vs Livingston
Duk penalty at Pittodrie
Fletcher dive at Tannadice
Melkersen “offside” at Rugby Park
Marshall away at Ross County

I genuinely cannot ever remember a season where we have had so many blatant decisions go against us and that’s before the Jeggo red card today.

That’s 10 games out of 33 played where a major game changing decision has been made. And there’s probably more that I just can’t recall right now.

The officiating in this country is an absolute disgrace.

Funny thing is some other teams have had absolute shockers too.

You can barely have a run of 2 or 3 games without a calamity mistake.

MWHIBBIES
22-04-2023, 09:36 PM
Him literally forcing our physio onto the pitch, so Nisbet had to go off was absolutely mental. Who the **** does he think he is? He obviously thought Kev, who was clearly elbowed in the ****ing head, was at it.

He cannot red card a physio (surely) so the guy should've just laughed and walked away.

Donegal Hibby
22-04-2023, 09:37 PM
John Collins sums everything up here perfectly imo apart from it hasn't cost a team anything bit ! .
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/james-jeggo-hibs-red-card-29784761

overdrive
22-04-2023, 10:25 PM
Him literally forcing our physio onto the pitch, so Nisbet had to go off was absolutely mental. Who the **** does he think he is? He obviously thought Kev, who was clearly elbowed in the ****ing head, was at it.

He cannot red card a physio (surely) so the guy should've just laughed and walked away.

That’s a direct consequence of these cheating incompetents being part-time. He has a conflict of interest there with his day job.

A day job that everyone else in his profession complains about not having enough time to do their job. Yet he can arse about travelling round the country making an arse of himself twice a week.

jakedance
22-04-2023, 10:34 PM
I was in favour of VAR. I thought it might make the quality of refereeing better. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

As has been pointed out above we’ve had terrible game changing decisions against us. Hibs have been pretty mediocre for large parts of the season but we’re not all that far off third and VAR has cost us points. The game’s bent.

Zazu62
23-04-2023, 12:18 AM
How about beating Motherwell and Dundee United instead of scrambling about on the last day before the split trying to make the top 6? Then greeting about VAR

Donegal Hibby
23-04-2023, 12:58 AM
How about beating Motherwell and Dundee United instead of scrambling about on the last day before the split trying to make the top 6? Then greeting about VAR
We have made top 6 after everything that's went on at our club which includes some awful VAR decision that imo have cost us points and I think Hibs fans have a genuine right to be unhappy about VAR and REF decision this year. 5 games to go now , how about we get behind the team rather than looking back in a negative way ?

Callum_62
23-04-2023, 06:30 AM
How about beating Motherwell and Dundee United instead of scrambling about on the last day before the split trying to make the top 6? Then greeting about VARI never knew we could only ever focus on one thing at a time

The Spaceman
23-04-2023, 06:45 AM

If even half of the most ludicrous of VAR decisions given against us this season had been changed, we’d be in pole position for third place and guaranteed European Group Stage football. It’s not that hard to understand.

GreenCastle
23-04-2023, 06:51 AM
John Collins sums everything up here perfectly imo apart from it hasn't cost a team anything bit ! .
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/james-jeggo-hibs-red-card-29784761

The last part doesn’t even make sense.

It has cost many teams this season!

Doubt anything will change and it will be swept under the carpet - LJ will get a ban for his comments and we will appeal and be successful.

But no consequences at all for the incompetent refs ruining the game.

hibsbollah
23-04-2023, 06:55 AM

That’s one of the best interventions I can ever remember seeing from a Hibs manager or ANY manager on the subject.

Good on you Lee.

Onion
23-04-2023, 07:57 AM
Thanks - good stuff rom LJ. It was brought up in the report on the Killie game earlier that it would be wrong to underestimate the importance of Killie knowing the Ross County result before their game.

Everything LJ said is fair comment but I now fear we've scuppered any chance of winning a Jeggo appeal. Just as they lashed out at Aberdeen for the noise they made around the Shinney red card - with an extra match ban, they will punish Hibs for LJ's public outburst.

Not because they don't know the ref/VAR are incompetent but to protect their own hurt feelings and the status quo in Scotland.

We need a breakaway group, tell the SFA and their officials to FRO and set up a new league with full time officials, proper accountability and transparency.

Aldo
23-04-2023, 08:07 AM
Everything LJ said is fair comment but I now fear we've scuppered any chance of winning a Jeggo appeal. Just as they lashed out at Aberdeen for the noise they made around the Shinney red card - with an extra match ban, they will punish Hibs for LJ's public outburst.

Not because they don't know the ref/VAR are incompetent but to protect their own hurt feelings and the status quo in Scotland.

We need a breakaway group, tell the SFA and their officials to FRO and set up a new league with full time officials, proper accountability and transparency.

Onion if the comments made by LJ are taken into account then it’s clear (already is clear tbh) that the officiating in this country is corrupt. I’d also challenge the SFA if LJ gets cited. It’s ok for the officials to do what they want without consequences or transparency but when challenged they say it’s bringing the game into disrepute.

This wasn’t even a foul let alone a red card. So if they don’t overturn the appeal I’d be asking for a full explanation why. I’d then be telling the powers that be the club will look into taking legal action against them.

VAR was supposed to help but it’s just making it worse with some of the most shocking decisions we’ve seen.

Skol
23-04-2023, 08:26 AM
I still don’t buy the corrupt allegation. Rank rotten yes and you will find most teams have good reason to complain about decisions that go against them.

Jones28
23-04-2023, 08:29 AM

Absolutely agree with everything he says here. Well done LJ.

Since452
23-04-2023, 08:32 AM
I still don’t buy the corrupt allegation. Rank rotten yes and you will find most teams have good reason to complain about decisions that go against them.

I'd normally scoff at the corrupt allegation but how can the VAR guy look at that incident over and over again and confirm the red card?

JimBHibees
23-04-2023, 08:35 AM
I'd normally scoff at the corrupt allegation but how can the VAR guy look at that incident over and over again and confirm the red card?

Or the one at Ross county or the handball at Ibrox

Since452
23-04-2023, 08:36 AM
The incident where Nisbet went down and signalled that he didn't need the physio on but was called on anyway by the ref was just plain bizarre. Could not believe my eyes.

Skol
23-04-2023, 08:45 AM
Or the one at Ross county or the handball at Ibrox

Corruption means the decisions will lead to some kind of personal or financial gain. What is the personal or financial gain that is influencing these bad decisions?

CL0762
23-04-2023, 08:47 AM
Funny thing is some other teams have had absolute shockers too.

You can barely have a run of 2 or 3 games without a calamity mistake.

I don’t doubt that at all.

I’m talking from our direct perspective, 10 clear cut wrong decisions in 1 season has never happened to us before as far as I can remember.

JimBHibees
23-04-2023, 08:48 AM
Corruption means the decisions will lead to some kind of personal or financial gain. What is the personal or financial gain that is influencing these bad decisions?

Or being against a particular team no idea. Maybe support Rangers or Hearts don't like Hibs, can't stand the manager etc. That decision yesterday had the potential for him to lose his job and the club hundreds of thousands of pounds.

JimBHibees
23-04-2023, 08:49 AM
I don’t doubt that at all.

I’m talking from our direct perspective, 10 clear cut wrong decisions in 1 season has never happened to us before as far as I can remember.

A few last season also

Same ref same opponents 1 min 20

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zy9d2X-dWXM

Skol
23-04-2023, 08:59 AM
Or being against a particular team no idea. Maybe support Rangers or Hearts don't like Hibs, can't stand the manager etc. That decision yesterday had the potential for him to lose his job and the club hundreds of thousands of pounds.

That for me is bias rather than corruption. That said I cannot imagine Napier and the guy on var are jambos. They could be rangers fans, but even then why would they be biased against hibs when neither of the old firm are involved

The answer is much simpler. The shinnie decision and then appeal outcome has set the stall out for what is expected and the official are just following the standards set by their bosses. Granted we do know it’s unlikely Celtic or rangers would be on the end of such a decision.

JimBHibees
23-04-2023, 09:00 AM
That for me is bias rather than corruption. That said I cannot imagine Napier and the guy on var are jambos. They could be rangers fans, but even then why would they be biased against hibs when neither of the old firm are involved

The answer is much simpler. The shinnie decision and then appeal outcome has set the stall out for what is expected and the official are just following the standards set by their bosses. Granted we do know it’s unlikely Celtic or rangers would be on the end of such a decision.

Your last point corruption then

Skol
23-04-2023, 09:06 AM
Your last point corruption then

Arguable. Is it personal or financial gain? Probably not, possible arguement for personal gain. If their team benefit but I still put it down to bias.

FitbaFolkKen
23-04-2023, 09:09 AM

You get a better quality of applicant with a better package. The hope would be refs from outwith the current goldfish bowl.

Steven79
23-04-2023, 09:24 AM
You get a better quality of applicant with a better package. The hope would be refs from outwith the current goldfish bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThe only problem is it would take years to bring them through unless we got them from abroad.

DaveF
23-04-2023, 09:27 AM
Arguable. Is it personal or financial gain? Probably not, possible arguement for personal gain. If their team benefit but I still put it down to bias.

In what line of work is bias acceptable though? I'd be binned from my job immediately if I showed bias towards any customer / 3rd party.

Northernhibee
23-04-2023, 09:27 AM

As it stands, if refereeing is a ‘side hustle’ then there’s little need to improve. You’ve got your day job.

If you’re a full time ref, expected to put work into being the best you can be, declaring your football loyalty, then it’s your bread and butter. Less potential conflict of interest, more time for refereeing to be evaluated, more time to be trained, more at stake for anyone thinking of using their position to cheat the game.

It’s also the case if being Glaswegian gives you a far greater chance of refereeing games, where’s the incentive to work harder? Give us a fair spread from around the country.

Skol
23-04-2023, 09:29 AM
In what line of work is bias acceptable though? I'd be binned from my job immediately if I showed bias towards any customer / 3rd party.

Agree with that. It’s the corruption allegation I don’t agree with.

JimBHibees
23-04-2023, 09:30 AM
As it stands, if refereeing is a ‘side hustle’ then there’s little need to improve. You’ve got your day job.

If you’re a full time ref, expected to put work into being the best you can be, declaring your football loyalty, then it’s your bread and butter. Less potential conflict of interest, more time for refereeing to be evaluated, more time to be trained, more at stake for anyone thinking of using their position to cheat the game.

It’s also the case if being Glaswegian gives you a far greater chance of refereeing games, where’s the incentive to work harder? Give us a fair spread from around the country.

Agree with every word

JimBHibees
23-04-2023, 09:31 AM
Agree with that. It’s the corruption allegation I don’t agree with.

Kind of semantics is it not corrupt being dishonest or fraudulent

Skol
23-04-2023, 09:35 AM
Kind of semantics is it not corrupt being dishonest or fraudulent

There are differences

Viva_Palmeiras
23-04-2023, 09:41 AM

obv not doing it right ;)

Hibbyradge
23-04-2023, 09:46 AM

We can't afford full time officials.

How many full time posts would be needed?

A referee, 2 assistants and a 4th official at every game plus a reserve pool.

There are 42 teams in the Scottish League so that's 21 fixtures every week therefore we'd need 84 plus reserve.

JimBHibees
23-04-2023, 09:47 AM
There are differences

Assume direct bribery however being dishonest or biased very similar to me. Personally would be amazed if no refs in Scotland were paid given the level of decision making and Glasgowcentric bias in the set up in this country. The Rangers case should tell us that

Skol
23-04-2023, 09:48 AM
Assume direct bribery however being dishonest or biased very similar to me. Personally would be amazed if no refs in Scotland were paid given the level of decision making and Glasgowcentric bias in the set up in this country. The Rangers case should tell us that

So you are agreeing it’s not corruption

Skol
23-04-2023, 09:50 AM
Just reading your post again and your do and then you don’t.

Personally I would be amazed if any ref in Scotland benefited financially for decisions they make.

Donegal Hibby
23-04-2023, 10:00 AM
The last part doesn’t even make sense.

It has cost many teams this season!

Doubt anything will change and it will be swept under the carpet - LJ will get a ban for his comments and we will appeal and be successful.

But no consequences at all for the incompetent refs ruining the game.
Yeah , the last part doesn't make sense as it's cost many teams points. Our own club from the handball at Ibrox to our keeper being taken out in dingwall have lost a fair few points this season due to incompetence from referee's and official's this season .

I also doubt anything will change though any organisation running a football league and can't see there's a problem after the amount of mistakes being made this year there's also something badly wrong with and needs changed too !

Wouldn't be at all surprised if LJ did get a ban for his comments. It was one of the worst refereeing display's I've ever seen and that should be Napier and the guy on VAR finished taking another top flight game again. I think VAR should be stopped being used in our game as its only making thing's worse also.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-debrief-var-letdown-appeal-dilemma-bizarre-nisbet-moment-special-stevenson-4115229

Not In The Know
23-04-2023, 10:01 AM
was it the same guy operating Var yesterday who did the Ross County game, when Marshall ended up in the net?

SickBoy32
23-04-2023, 10:13 AM
That’s a direct consequence of these cheating incompetents being part-time. He has a conflict of interest there with his day job.

A day job that everyone else in his profession complains about not having enough time to do their job. Yet he can arse about travelling round the country making an arse of himself twice a week.

What's his day job ?

Steven79
23-04-2023, 10:23 AM
What's his day job ?GP in Irvine.

Carheenlea
23-04-2023, 10:31 AM
GP in Irvine.

Wonder what his team is…? Proper staunch territory down there.

JimBHibees
23-04-2023, 10:32 AM
So you are agreeing it’s not corruption

No I am arguing it is

Kato
23-04-2023, 10:35 AM
Arguable. Is it personal or financial gain? Probably not, possible arguement for personal gain. If their team benefit but I still put it down to bias.Showing bias in a sport because you want certain participants to succeed and others not is corrupt.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Steven79
23-04-2023, 10:36 AM
Wonder what his team is…? Proper staunch territory down there.https://twitter.com/cjgnapier?t=oHrSdUMN2sbqoCNJZRZozg&s=09

Looks like one of the people. [emoji102]

Kato
23-04-2023, 10:37 AM

It’s also the case if being Glaswegian gives you a far greater chance of refereeing games, where’s the incentive to work harder? Give us a fair spread from around the country.Making sure officials who referee games only come from one part of the country is corrupt.

CapitalGreen
23-04-2023, 10:39 AM
Craig Napier has refereed 64 top flight matches but has never been assigned to a Celtic or Rangers game… why do the Old Firm get treated differently when it comes to referee selection?

Ringothedog
23-04-2023, 10:40 AM

There are 42 teams in the Scottish League so that's 21 fixtures every week therefore we'd need 84 plus reserve.

Not all referees in England are full time. It’s only the top 2 leagues. We could start by only allowing full time referees in our top league. If we feel it works it could move to the Championship. Can we afford not to go down the route of full time officials? I would get rid of VAR and use the money to pay for full time officials, one we have that right we can consider bringing back VAR

oneone73
23-04-2023, 10:42 AM
What's his day job ?

He's a GP

blackpoolhibs
23-04-2023, 10:49 AM

I agree that some of these referee's are as rotten as we've ever seen, incompetant at their job.

Where the hell did that one yesterday come from, who deemed him good enough to officiate at that level, as low as it is?

I also think we have a few who are completely corrupt, completely bent for one reason or another.

The game in Scotland is a joke, and ref's and those at the top table of authority have all made it that.

And the worst bit about it all is, they dont even care we can see it more clearly now.

Skol
23-04-2023, 10:50 AM
Showing bias in a sport because you want certain participants to succeed and others not is corrupt.

So who did Napier and the guy and var want to succeed yesterday, or why did they not want hibs to succeed ?

Kato
23-04-2023, 10:51 AM
So who did Napier and the guy and var want to succeed yesterday, or why did they not want hibs to succeed ?You would have to ask them those questions.

Skol
23-04-2023, 10:54 AM
You would have to ask them those questions.

We need those answers before we declare corruption though. I don’t see any reason to do so. For me it’s still just poor decision making and probably influenced by the shinnie incident and apppeal outcome.

blackpoolhibs
23-04-2023, 10:54 AM
He's a GP

Giant prick.

Aldo
23-04-2023, 10:56 AM
Let’s look at Rugby Union.

They have a team of officials who work together to make everything transparent with each of them having an input going through a process (rules/mitigating factors) t come to a conclusion.

I also like the fact that it’s shown in the big screen with them all being miked up. You hear them all going through what they’ve seen and yes it’s about interpretation but more often than not it’s correct

VAR really should make an officials job easier but no they see what they want etc and I do think other teams benefit from it.

MWHIBBIES
23-04-2023, 10:59 AM
The one on Doyle hays last season, straight leg, over the ball, same opposition same ref was a disgrace. Only a yellow.

Yesterday not even a foul. Shameful decision.

https://twitter.com/DownTheSlope1/status/1650057405286285312?t=Pye48nPW11YKKsVA9rni4Q&s=19

JohnM1875
23-04-2023, 11:10 AM
I'm actually still fuming at how bad a decision that is.

How can the guy be so bad at his job and get away with it?

LaMotta
23-04-2023, 11:15 AM
Not sure if its been mentioned but there is a clip on sportscene of Egan Riley getting absolutely forearm smashed by McLennan on the touchline in front of Douglass Ross, and it wasn't even deemed a yellow card.

These officials shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch, you can tell Napier and Douglas Ross would be the worst players in a casual game of fives at the Corn Exchange.

Aldo
23-04-2023, 11:19 AM
I'm actually still fuming at how bad a decision that is.

How can the guy be so bad at his job and get away with it?

Took this from elsewhere and it’s clear as day when issuing a red…… so answers on a postcard which one or more it was for the official to show the red???

The available angles show the red card tackle to be

Late
Dangerous
Wreckless.

Aĺl the required attributes for the issuing of a red card. Anyone in any doubt should reference Law 12 of the Laws of the Game.

Alfred E Newman
23-04-2023, 11:24 AM
Not all referees in England are full time. It’s only the top 2 leagues. We could start by only allowing full time referees in our top league. If we feel it works it could move to the Championship. Can we afford not to go down the route of full time officials? I would get rid of VAR and use the money to pay for full time officials, one we have that right we can consider bringing back VAR

How did we manage without a 4th official for well over 100 years? Get rid of them as well.

Hibbyradge
23-04-2023, 11:28 AM
So who did Napier and the guy and var want to succeed yesterday, or why did they not want hibs to succeed ?

I'm with you on this.

The sending off was wrong, but in all probability, the Shinnie incident influenced the decision (s).

Every club in the world have fans who think the officials are out to disadvantage their teams, including Rantic who are probably more paranoid than anyone else, but I don't believe anyone deliberately cheats.

Hibs have benefited from poor officiating, but those occasions are quickly forgotten whereas feelings of injustice are much more powerful and long lasting.

I think we need someone to champion the refereeing issue in the press. Someone with significant status who can't be silenced or reprimanded. John Collins fits that bill.

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 11:30 AM
Not sure if its been mentioned but there is a clip on sportscene of Egan Riley getting absolutely forearm smashed by McLennan on the touchline in front of Douglass Ross, and it wasn't even deemed a yellow card.

These officials shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch, you can tell Napier and Douglas Ross would be the worst players in a casual game of fives at the Corn Exchange.

That was assault on Egan-Riley. He never even spoke to the guy but did come over and speak to the Hibs bench for complaining about it.

Think Johnson alluded to it in his post match comments (without actually saying it) but the worst thing about the referee was his manner. The way he spoke to the players and acted. Seemed determined to let everyone know he was there, he was in charge and generally have an argument with whoever he could. Some of the most baffling decisions you’ll ever see.

LaMotta
23-04-2023, 11:38 AM
That was assault on Egan-Riley. He never even spoke to the guy but did come over and speak to the Hibs bench for complaining about it.

Think Johnson alluded to it in his post match comments (without actually saying it) but the worst thing about the referee was his manner. The way he spoke to the players and acted. Seemed determined to let everyone know he was there, he was in charge and generally have an argument with whoever he could. Some of the most baffling decisions you’ll ever see.

:agree: You can tell Napier just doesn't understand football.

Onion
23-04-2023, 11:40 AM
I'm with you on this.

The sending off was wrong, but in all probability, the Shinnie incident influenced the decision (s).

Every club in the world have fans who think the officials are out to disadvantage their teams, including Rantic who are probably more paranoid than anyone else, but I don't believe anyone deliberately cheats.

Hibs have benefited from poor officiating, but those occasions are quickly forgotten whereas feelings of injustice are much more powerful and long lasting.

I think we need someone to champion the refereeing issue in the press. Someone with significant status who can't be silenced or reprimanded. John Collins fits that bill.

True, but anyone at the game yesterday could see this little prick was revelling in being the centre of attention. His forcing the Hibs physio onto the pitch just so he could send Nisbet off, his stoping the game when Hibs had the ball 70 yds away and then restarting it with effectively a free kick to St J (goalie uncontested drop ball), his forcing Hibs time and again to take the ball back 14 inches at free kicks were deliberately pedantic and designed to wind the fans, players and manager up.

There's incompetence and then there's this weirdo.

Hibbyradge
23-04-2023, 11:45 AM
True, but anyone at the game yesterday could see this little prick was revelling in being the centre of attention. His forcing the Hibs physio onto the pitch just so he could send Nisbet off, his stoping the game when Hibs had the ball 70 yds away and then restarting it with effectively a free kick to St J (goalie uncontested drop ball), his forcing Hibs time and again to take the ball back 14 inches at free kicks were deliberately pedantic and designed to wind the fans, players and manager up.

There's incompetence and then there's this weirdo.

You'll get no argument from me on that one.

HIBS NUTS
23-04-2023, 11:53 AM
Abolishing VAR in yesterday’s game, woudnt have changed the red card, the ref made that pathetic decision.
Obviously VAR should have changed it.
But the initial fault was with the ref.

blackpoolhibs
23-04-2023, 11:58 AM
Abolishing VAR in yesterday’s game, woudnt have changed the red card, the ref made that pathetic decision.

Correct, but VAR is there to put those wrong decisions right.

It's a joke, and until such times as they get the proper camera's in place, and full time ref's with full time VAR officials, then i'd scrap it until then.

GreenCastle
23-04-2023, 12:04 PM

Exactly this.

Would love to see which refs have been assigned each team this season.

Like lots of Scottish football it’s all too cozy and it needs called out. Take the bans but call it out for the shambles it is.

Steven79
23-04-2023, 12:05 PM

There's incompetence and then there's this weirdo.He was on a ego trip yesterday and will get away with it while Lee will get the book thrown at him.

We shouldn't let this lie.

SickBoy32
23-04-2023, 12:05 PM

If VAR wasn't in place yesterday, we'd only be needing 5/6 referees for the SPL games

With VAR, that doubles to 10/12 refs required for the Saturday fixtures

I would hazard a guess that the ref yesterday would not be selected in the top 5 refs, and would therefore be given a lower league match, where he undoubtedly belongs (at best)

As bad as they are, I very much doubt any of Beaton, Clancy or Collum would've given a red for that

We don't have the depth of officials to operate VAR, so it has to go - anything else is total fantasy land

Onion
23-04-2023, 12:11 PM

Simply start with 6-8 full time refs who would take the top games. Pay them £100k each but competence, professionalism, respect for players, fans, managers, and personal accountability for decisions are essential.

Linos and others would be P/T, just as many teams are.

Just like players and managers, our best refs would then be cherry picked by other leagues eg England but that's fine. Good problem to have compared with what we have to suffer right now.

Donegal Hibby
23-04-2023, 12:12 PM
Some decisions are taking 4, 5 or 6 minutes , until there's proper people that know what there doing it's not really benefiting the game and it's pointless having it in use as yesterday showed .

easty
23-04-2023, 12:19 PM
Simply start with 6-8 full time refs who would take the top games. Pay them £100k each but competence, professionalism, respect for players, fans, managers, and personal accountability for decisions are essential.

Linos and others would be P/T, just as many teams are.

Just like players and managers, our best refs would then be cherry picked by other leagues eg England but that's fine. Good problem to have compared with what we have to suffer right now.

£100k a year? Is this a whoosh moment? Am I missing a joke here?

Stubbsy90+2
23-04-2023, 12:23 PM
Craig Napier has refereed 64 top flight matches but has never been assigned to a Celtic or Rangers game… why do the Old Firm get treated differently when it comes to referee selection?

It’s stuff like this that makes me sick of Scottish football.

The whole game is rigged. What’s the point?

Onion
23-04-2023, 12:23 PM
If VAR wasn't in place yesterday, we'd only be needing 5/6 referees for the SPL games

With VAR, that doubles to 10/12 refs required for the Saturday fixtures

I would hazard a guess that the ref yesterday would not be selected in the top 5 refs, and would therefore be given a lower league match, where he undoubtedly belongs (at best)

As bad as they are, I very much doubt any of Beaton, Clancy or Collum would've given a red for that

We don't have the depth of officials to operate VAR, so it has to go - anything else is total fantasy land

Maybe we should look at outsourcing VAR, then. VAR can be carried out from anywhere in the world. There could be literally hundreds of decent refs across numerous leagues who might enjoy spending 2 or 3 hours watching a game for a few quid. Might even bring a little more objectivity to decisions ? What's clear is the current model ain't working.

CentreLine
23-04-2023, 12:27 PM

Certainly continue to lash out at Hibs after Paul McGinn made his “incompetence” comment last season. Maybe he’s have simply been better just saying “cheating”. Result would have been much the same

Ron D Hibbie
23-04-2023, 03:29 PM
Certainly continue to lash out at Hibs after Paul McGinn made his “incompetence” comment last season. Maybe he’s have simply been better just saying “cheating”. Result would have been much the same

Notice nick walsh ref for rangers aberdeen game. Wonder if he went up on rangers team bus. 😂😂

Callum_62
23-04-2023, 03:59 PM
Whsts that stat about where top flight refs come from again?

HoboHarry
23-04-2023, 04:03 PM
It’s stuff like this that makes me sick of Scottish football.

The whole game is rigged. What’s the point?

Been saying that for a while. Not one of us would join a game of poker if we knew the deck was rigged. We'll never know now of course but a large part of was hoping when Ron Gordon came on board that he would take on the authorities like the bunnet did for celtic all those years ago.

Conj
23-04-2023, 04:07 PM
was it the same guy operating Var yesterday who did the Ross County game, when Marshall ended up in the net?

No, VAR yesterday was Chris Graham, Ref at Ross County was Graham Grainger.

Donegal Hibby
23-04-2023, 04:24 PM
Notice nick walsh ref for rangers aberdeen game. Wonder if he went up on rangers team bus. 😂😂
Probably has his own seat on there bus 😁 . Think this is his 7th sevco game in charge this season . He has been the referee in charge of more sevco games than any of the other clubs . Coincidence ? 🤔

23-04-2023, 04:26 PM
Probably has his own seat on there bus 😁 . Think this is his 7th sevco game in charge this season . He has been the referee in charge of more sevco games than any of the other clubs . Coincidence ? 🤔

And when he's not the ref has probably been lino or VAR official a few times.

Donegal Hibby
23-04-2023, 04:35 PM
And when he's not the ref has probably been lino or VAR official a few times.
This is also true . Quite sad really that they aren't even trying to hide what's going on in the game now , suppose that's what happens when they keep getting away with it . 😟

madhatter
23-04-2023, 04:43 PM
VAR isn't the problem. It's incompetent and corrupt officials. Napier and the rest of the cronies were trying to influence the game yesterday.

Couldn't have got the red out faster and the farce with Nisbet and the physio as well. Genuinely looked like Napier was trying to help St Johnstone as much as possible.

VAR is showing the corruption now. Incompetence was a bigger argument before, the seemingly selective inconsistencies show corruption though.

Not In The Know
23-04-2023, 09:52 PM
No, VAR yesterday was Chris Graham, Ref at Ross County was Graham Grainger.

Ta

hibbyboy1
25-04-2023, 05:26 AM
Surly it wouldn't cost that much to bring in var officials from another country, that would most likely stop the majority of the bias cheating that happens here

Stewboy
25-04-2023, 09:08 AM
Surly it wouldn't cost that much to bring in var officials from another country, that would most likely stop the majority of the bias cheating that happens here

I suggested that above, just outsource it if done over video link. Could be done by anybody anywhere

blackpoolhibs
25-04-2023, 09:20 AM

I suggested that above, just outsource it if done over video link. Could be done by anybody anywhere

Come on folks, think about it, who's going to allow that?

HoboHarry
25-04-2023, 12:37 PM
There would be a language barrier for a start unless you were expecting other countries to loan out their top (probably FIFA listed) officials who would speak excellent English. Why would those countries do that?

overdrive
25-04-2023, 01:38 PM
There would be a language barrier for a start unless you were expecting other countries to loan out their top (probably FIFA listed) officials who would speak excellent English. Why would those countries do that?

Were Scottish refs not getting sent out to referee the Greek league a couple of years ago?

How bad are Greek refs if they want Scottish ones?

Smartie
25-04-2023, 03:29 PM
Were Scottish refs not getting sent out to referee the Greek league a couple of years ago?

I think they just wanted neutral ones who weren’t going to be swayed by the wants, needs and threats of the big clubs.

But they ended up with the Scottish ones.

HoboHarry
25-04-2023, 03:42 PM

I don't honestly remember that. Christ, the SFA must have needed the money lol. Who was it that went?

Edit - googled it and it was Bobby Madden, oddly enough he bolted out of Scotland and is refereeing in England now.

erin go bragh
25-04-2023, 07:33 PM

Can’t remember that but remember we got Maltese refs as our refs were on strike and not surprisingly they were miles better than our incompetent ones.

CentreLine
26-04-2023, 07:34 AM
VAR simply needs to be open and transparent, in the same way as Rugby referees and VAR are. Let’s have the incident on the big screen and all the interaction between referee and VAR official broadcast as it happens. Then there would be no place to hide and much better understanding of the process, even when they get it wrong.

marinello59
26-04-2023, 07:36 AM
Can’t remember that but remember we got Maltese refs as our refs were on strike and not surprisingly they were miles better than our incompetent ones.

Were they much better? They officiated for one match only and were met with an overwhelming tide of goodwill from supporters. Two or three games in and that goodwill would already have been evaporating.

green day
26-04-2023, 07:57 AM
VAR simply needs to be open and transparent, in the same way as Rugby referees and VAR are. Let’s have the incident on the big screen and all the interaction between referee and VAR official broadcast as it happens. Then there would be no place to hide and much better understanding of the process, even when they get it wrong.

Yep, transparency seems to work in Rugby.

Kato
26-04-2023, 08:04 AM
Yep, transparency seems to work in Rugby.The SFA making refereeing transparent ain't gonna happen.

Hibs4185
26-04-2023, 08:34 AM
Sky can already here the VAR debate. Andy walker said last week that the VAR said it might be easier just to let that one go, or words to that effect.

SFA threatened to pull Sky’s access and sky had to apologise

BoomtownHibees
26-04-2023, 09:07 AM
Sky can already here the VAR debate. Andy walker said last week that the VAR said it might be easier just to let that one go, or words to that effect.

Yeah he heard them say “go with the easy option” I think it was

Stubbsy90+2
26-04-2023, 09:47 AM

Sky should have called their bluff. The SFA were never pulling access for the company that provides the majority of external funding to Scottish football.

overdrive
26-04-2023, 03:14 PM
Yeah he heard them say “go with the easy option” I think it was

Yep. Good on Walker for calling them out. After the "Dougie, Dougie" incident that sparked the strikes, you would have thought they'd be careful with what they say when they are mic'd up.

stalbanshibby
27-04-2023, 06:59 AM
Yup.

Would rather keep it and show how incompetent they are.

It needs better people in charge of it. Not sure part time amateurs- actual professionals from anywhere in the world - not jobs for the boys - who are scared to correct their ref mates errors.

This is VAR's first half season, and I actually think it has helped to spotlight just how poor refereeing is in Scotland, so I'm all for keeping it on the grounds that they HAVE to get better and more impartial. Some interesting comments from Lee Johnson and Mikey Stewart recently about refereeing standards too - Mikey rips ex ref Stuart Dougal a new one in this podcast after his performance in the VARdict, but it also highlights that the refs aren't being trained properly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0fjr6km

It's that condescending attitude of 'we're the only ones who understand the laws of the game, so get in line', that's really irritating, along with the fact that they're not accountable/ secret society thing that Mikey mentions. Some refs treat the players and managers like kids, have a howler of a game, and then you never hear them being held to account. That usually completely spoils the game as a spectacle, and enrages the crowd. But with more money coming into the game, refereeing mistakes have a material impact on clubs, players and managers (article in EEN/ Scotsman about 5 refereeing mistakes the Hibs management have highlighted that has cost us points). With money involved, they CAN'T keep their personal biases, and be dictatorial, they HAVE to meet the clubs half way, so like said, I think VAR has helped show just how poor/ biased refs in Scotland are (we've known this for a long time), and I think the medium to long term outcome will be better refereeing standards.

How can The Rangers have had ZERO penalties against them all season btw??

Eyrie
27-04-2023, 09:06 AM

You must be new to Scottish football.

Once Celtc have been confirmed as champions then Sevco will concede a penalty in the league just to disprove the conspiracy theories and stop that statistic being quoted.

Carheenlea
27-04-2023, 09:15 AM
Another observation with regards to Dougal’s recent drivel on the Jeggo “red”. Why do all Scottish referees speak publicly in the same monotone accent? It’s the same sort of tone as police officers reading statements to the media. Do they get taught this? Probably a west of Scotland thing I guess.

H18 SFR
27-04-2023, 10:08 AM
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/stuart-dougal-03589413

Likes to have a laugh apparently, wonder if he is just taking the piss and having a laugh?

Leithenhibby
27-04-2023, 10:37 AM
This is VAR's first half season, and I actually think it has helped to spotlight just how poor refereeing is in Scotland, so I'm all for keeping it on the grounds that they HAVE to get better and more impartial. Some interesting comments from Lee Johnson and Mikey Stewart recently about refereeing standards too - Mikey rips ex ref Stuart Dougal a new one in this podcast after his performance in the VARdict, but it also highlights that the refs aren't being trained properly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0fjr6km

It's that condescending attitude of 'we're the only ones who understand the laws of the game, so get in line', that's really irritating, along with the fact that they're not accountable/ secret society thing that Mikey mentions. Some refs treat the players and managers like kids, have a howler of a game, and then you never hear them being held to account. That usually completely spoils the game as a spectacle, and enrages the crowd. But with more money coming into the game, refereeing mistakes have a material impact on clubs, players and managers (article in EEN/ Scotsman about 5 refereeing mistakes the Hibs management have highlighted that has cost us points). With money involved, they CAN'T keep their personal biases, and be dictatorial, they HAVE to meet the clubs half way, so like said, I think VAR has helped show just how poor/ biased refs in Scotland are (we've known this for a long time), and I think the medium to long term outcome will be better refereeing standards.

Probably one of the five costly mistakes we have had against us was at Ibrox when Goldson handled the ball when we were winning 1-2 🤔

It's an outrageous stat they have...

JimBHibees
27-04-2023, 12:35 PM
You must be new to Scottish football.

Once Celtc have been confirmed as champions then Sevco will concede a penalty in the league just to disprove the conspiracy theories and stop that statistic being quoted.

Yes can remember it happening when they won the league away in the last game of the season in Perth. Decision meant nothing