13-04-2023, 10:31 PM
Out for the season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisski33
13-04-2023, 10:36 PM
Yes

CMac1988
14-04-2023, 12:42 AM
Given it's another surgery I'd be suprised if he's fit and ready for the start of next season. Tis a shame but if we're likely to get more of the same for the next two season then I'd be looking to move him on if possible. Our midfiled has been needing major surgery for almost 3 seasons now and we can't keep expecting and hoping that Magennis is the answer. On top of that if and when he comes back the level of expectation placed on high is going to be at an all time high. I don't remeber him being nearly as good as some of here would have you think. Better than most of our midfield? If so it's not particularly hard.

Hope he comes good but just can't see it. Hope I'm wrong.

HoboHarry
14-04-2023, 12:49 AM
Given it's another surgery I'd be suprised if he's fit and ready for the start of next season. Tis a shame but if we're likely to get more of the same for the next two season then I'd be looking to move him on if possible. Our midfiled has been needing major surgery for almost 3 seasons now and we can't keep expecting and hoping that Magennis is the answer. On top of that if and when he comes back the level of expectation placed on high is going to be at an all time high. I don't remeber him being nearly as good as some of here would have you think. Better than most of our midfield? If so it's not particularly hard.

Hope he comes good but just can't see it. Hope I'm wrong.
How could we possibly move him on? Other than paying up his contract? Even then he's injured while with us and we have a duty to work with him through the recovery?

CMac1988
14-04-2023, 03:19 AM
How could we possibly move him on? Other than paying up his contract? Even then he's injured while with us and we have a duty to work with him through the recovery?

It's their in my reply... If possible. It's not like similar transfers aren't made elsewhere. Heck we bought him off the back of a major injury. What's to say someone else won't? Also whilst we have a duty of care to help him in his recovery it doesn't mean we can't get place him on the transfer market. If someone comes along we pay up part of the remainder of his contract and he gets a new contract elsewhere. Depending on how much we pay up and how much the new contract is worth he might be better off leaving. This happens all the time. Given his contract he probably holds the cards and may not want to leave and that's fair enough but if he's as good as many think then there'll be a few clubs in this league who'd be interested and it might benefit all parties. Given our struggles in midfield and the poor quality within what's the bigger gamble? Hoping he gets through all these injuries and comes good or moving him on (I admit, easier said than done) and freeing up wages for others.

Again I'd like to see him come good but I just can't see it and my patience has long past weared thin with regards to our midfield. Magennis may not be as obvious as others as being part of the problem but he's far from the solution as things stand and I'd like to see change this Summer. He's in the same boat as the rest of them.

Nicho87
14-04-2023, 06:08 AM
Time to move him on, regretfully. But it’s not happening, staying fit his body won’t allow it. Shame for him.

Trinity Hibee
14-04-2023, 06:10 AM
Time to move him on, regretfully. But it’s not happening, staying fit his body won’t allow it. Shame for him.

Yep. We need to free up the wage bill if we want to improve.

DH1875
14-04-2023, 06:17 AM
Yep. We need to free up the wage bill if we want to improve.

He's going nowhere. No one is giving him the deal he is currently on with us. Why would he give that up?

Trinity Hibee
14-04-2023, 06:18 AM
He's going nowhere. No one is giving him the deal he is currently on with us. Why would he give that up?

We can pay him off surely no? Either way I can’t see him here next season. We have been throwing money away on guys like this too often recently.

If the club want to improve he needs to go to allow us to bring others in.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-04-2023, 06:23 AM
Probably time to accept that he won't play any long term part at the club and look to replace. Real shame for the boy. He's not breaking any rules by seeing out his contract even if he's not playing.

Stubbsy90+2
14-04-2023, 06:24 AM

He doesn’t need to get the same deal though. There’s a middle ground that can be reached.

For ease of numbers, I’m not suggesting this is what he’s on:

If Magennis earns £5k a week that’s £260k per annum. With two more years on his deal that’s £520k. As it stands, we’re locked in to paying that in full.

If say St Mirren want him but will only pay him £2.5k per week, that’s £130k per annum. If we tell Magennis he’s not in our plans and give him a £260k payoff, he’s no worse off and we save £260k over the next two years.

When it comes to getting rid of players it’s not as simple (and often not nearly as drastic a situation for the club looking to get rid) as pay them the lot if you want them to leave.

Obviously we need to find someone stupid enough to sign him. But then again, we were daft enough, so someone else may decide to take the gamble.

green day
14-04-2023, 06:26 AM
He doesn’t need to get the same deal though. There’s a middle ground that can be reached.

If Magennis earns £5k a week that’s £260k per annum. With two more years on his deal that’s £520k. As it stands, we’re locked in to paying that in full.

If say St Mirren want him but will only pay him £2.5k per week, that’s £130k per annum. If we tell Magennis he’s not in our plans and give him a £260k payoff, he’s no worse off and we save £260k over the next two years.

When it comes to getting rid of players it’s not as simple as pay them the lot if you want them to leave.

Its more than that for us, as we pay NI and his medical bills too...........

Stubbsy90+2
14-04-2023, 06:30 AM
Its more than that for us, as we pay NI and his medical bills too...........

I’ve no idea what the figures are, they were really just for illustrative purposes only. I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re paying him a hell of a lot of money though.

Hibernian Verse
14-04-2023, 06:33 AM

When it comes to getting rid of players it’s not as simple (and often not nearly as drastic a situation for the club looking to get rid) as pay them the lot if you want them to leave.

Obviously we need to find someone stupid enough to sign him. But then again, we were daft enough, so someone else may decide to take the gamble.

I think you've just created another hibs net fact :greengrin

JimBHibees
14-04-2023, 06:37 AM
What is the latest news re Kyle? So frustrating and none more so than for the player himself

jacomo
14-04-2023, 06:52 AM
What is the latest news re Kyle? So frustrating and none more so than for the player himself

He’s getting another operation. There’s not much detail.

It would be nice to hear from the player himself.

JimBHibees
14-04-2023, 06:54 AM
He’s getting another operation. There’s not much detail.

It would be nice to hear from the player himself.

Yes they should do a short interview with him. See what he is thinking. Such a talent such a shame

Greenbeard
14-04-2023, 07:47 AM
We can pay him off surely no? Either way I can’t see him here next season. We have been throwing money away on guys like this too often recently.

If the club want to improve he needs to go to allow us to bring others in.
Head of Recruitment: "Come and sign for Hibs. We're a great club. We'll give you a good deal and we look after our players. Mind, if you get a run of injuries we're not going to throw money away so we'll pay you off mid-contract. That ok?"
Player: "Aye ok."

superfurryhibby
14-04-2023, 08:00 AM
Sadly, I think Magennis is done with football. There will be no "moving him on", no club will pay him a wage with his injury history, they'd be throwing money away.

In terms of insurance and medical retirement, I wonder how that works, who decides?

Do surgeons carry on performing operations on people knowing that they are futile, possibly giving cause for issues to arise as a result of the same recurring or associated injuries?

I suppose Hibs could pay his contract in full and release him, that would save on medical costs/insurance costs.

I'm sorry for Magennis, but there's more to life than football. He should be learning a skill and preparing for a new career.

Stubbsy90+2
14-04-2023, 08:12 AM
Head of Recruitment: "Come and sign for Hibs. We're a great club. We'll give you a good deal and we look after our players. Mind, if you get a run of injuries we're not going to throw money away so we'll pay you off mid-contract. That ok?"
Player: "Aye ok."

If they get paid off mid contract with nobody willing to take them then they’d get the remainder of their contract paid in full. I’m not sure why a player would be sad against that as you seem to think they would :dunno:

Forza Fred
14-04-2023, 08:17 AM
I see it more of a personal tragedy for him more than anything else.

Mentally, the repeated bad medical news and uncertainty for the future must be affecting him.

I hope it all works out for him, and that the club continue to give him the appropriate level of support.

B.H.F.C
14-04-2023, 08:39 AM
He’s not going to move on. We absolutely 100% must plan for being without him for the duration of his contract though and recruit appropriately.

eastterrace
14-04-2023, 08:44 AM
Feel for the guy he must be gutted and frustrated (as are the fans) but when some fans come out with guff like just pay him off they must be living in cloud cuckoo land. He is on a contract and we have to honour it.

Stubbsy90+2
14-04-2023, 08:46 AM
Feel for the guy he must be gutted and frustrated (as are the fans) but when some fans come out with guff like just pay him off they must be living in cloud cuckoo land. He is on a contract and we have to honour it.

Hibs can literally pay him off any minute they want to do so. They’d have to pay up his contract, but pay him off is exactly as it says on the tin, pay him.

Some folk seem to be making out like ‘pay him off’ means ‘don’t pay him another penny regardless of his contract status’ :confused:

Since452
14-04-2023, 08:50 AM
Shame. Quality player. He must be gutted and starting to question his livelihood. Feel for him. Hope the club are doing everything to support him mentally.

Donegal Hibby
14-04-2023, 09:12 AM
Feel sorry for him too , it's another massive blow for him . Talk of paying him off is just silly. He's our player and we have a obligation to help the guy with his treatment which I'm sure we will do !

blackpoolhibs
14-04-2023, 09:18 AM
He was probably on one of the top wages when we signed him, yet somehow folk think we could pay him around half of what he's on now, and another smaller club would put him at the top of their wage bill, knowing his fitness record? :faf:

MWHIBBIES
14-04-2023, 09:37 AM
Really feel for him. Hope he is coping mentally.

superfurryhibby
14-04-2023, 09:42 AM
He was probably on one of the top wages when we signed him, yet somehow folk think we could pay him around half of what he's on now, and another smaller club would put him at the top of their wage bill, knowing his fitness record? :faf:

Aye, all one of them.

Stubbsy90+2
14-04-2023, 09:43 AM

Ignoring the fact that nobody suggested anyone puts him at the top of their wage bill, that’s also exactly what Hibs have done. His injury record was guff at St Mirren and he hadn’t even returned from injury when we signed him. We still done it though and I’m sure someone would come along at some point and give him some form of deal.

Trinity Hibee
14-04-2023, 10:29 AM

Why is that mad? It happens throughout football.

I’m not suggesting we take him round the back and shoot him ffs.

Hibs have absolutely ****ed the recruitment with these huge deals to dud players. But we can’t laugh at Hibs either because some on here get upset and start calling folk Jambos. Can’t win

Donegal Hibby
14-04-2023, 11:03 AM
Why is that mad? It happens throughout football.

I’m not suggesting we take him round the back and shoot him ffs.

Hibs have absolutely ****ed the recruitment with these huge deals to dud players. But we can’t laugh at Hibs either because some on here get upset and start calling folk Jambos. Can’t win
It's a pointless argument because there's no way the club's going to just pay off a injured player , they probably be slaughtered for it if they did . Kyle Magennis is due to have a operation in possibly Germany and the club will do all they can with his rehabilitation which is the right thing to do!

I agree about the recruitment being poor , it has been for years , it's why managers aren't doing well and eventually losing there jobs . You only have to look at our current midfield to know how bad it's been . Imo we are in a right mess .As a Hibs fan I don't understand why other Hibs fans would want to laugh at there club but each there own I suppose.

theonlywayisup
14-04-2023, 11:05 AM

Yes, bonkers some of the comments and views on this message board. If I was Kyle, I'd be happy to stay on a decent wage knowing that a club are paying for his medical rehabilitation rather than giving a proportion of that up to join a smaller club.

Trinity Hibee
14-04-2023, 11:06 AM
It's a pointless argument because there's no way the club's going to just pay off a injured player , they probably be slaughtered for it if they did . Kyle Magennis is due to have a operation in possibly Germany and the club will do all they can with his rehabilitation which is the right thing to do!

I agree about the recruitment being poor , it has been for years , it's why managers aren't doing well and eventually losing there jobs . You only have to look at our current midfield to know how bad it's been . Imo we are in a right mess .As a Hibs fan I don't understand why other Hibs fans would want to laugh at there club but each there own I suppose.

probably because if you don’t laugh you’ll cry and many are simply fed up of this nonsense continuing.

GreenGray
14-04-2023, 11:11 AM
Just hope we don't hold off signing a midfielder because we are waiting for him to come back like we did lasts summer.

ErinGoBraghHFC
14-04-2023, 11:16 AM

If you don’t laugh you’ll cry, that’s why

Bridge hibs
14-04-2023, 11:19 AM
Just hope we don't hold off signing a midfielder because we are waiting for him to come back like we did lasts summer.

Hopefully he recovers well from his operation, gets a good pre season behind him and is raring to go, could be like a new signing and if he performs well could even earn a contract extension

Or he might retire

Or I might win the lottery

eastmainsmsh
14-04-2023, 11:26 AM
When we played Rjeika at easter road KM looked the biz it's a pity we haven't seen the best of him due to injuries 😕

PHeffernan
14-04-2023, 11:34 AM

Mentally, the repeated bad medical news and uncertainty for the future must be affecting him.

I hope it all works out for him, and that the club continue to give him the appropriate level of support.

Couldn't have put it better.

He's still only 24.
This groin issue has been running since late September 2021.
I presume they have tried all manner of things including rest and strengthening exercises to put it right and it's probably flared up again when he started putting a full load through it again this season. As ever he won't be the first player to have this issue. Hopefully the right surgeon can help him move on from this long running impediment.

CMac1988
14-04-2023, 11:43 AM

Who said put him at the top of their wage bill?

It's a long shot I agree but the reality is as it stands he's likely to play little football over the reminder of his contract which is of no use to us. Pay up as much of his contract as needed. Let him try and find another club. He ends up better off. The alternative is hoping he can play regularly again and he gets a contract extension or ends up at a better or similar sized club. Just can't see it. If he can't get past his injury woes then might just have to pack it in. As for moving elsewhere the biggest hurdle is his medical requirements and where that fits in to a clubs costs and insurance.

The club needs to do something about the midfield and Magennis is part of it. Again I'd like to see home.overcome all of this and prove me wrong but right now it doesn't seem to be the case. Hope the next surgery is the one to put this issue to rest.

GreenGray
14-04-2023, 11:43 AM
Hopefully he recovers well from his operation, gets a good pre season behind him and is raring to go, could be like a new signing and if he performs well could even earn a contract extension

Or he might retire

Or I might win the lottery

Sounds like Groundhog Day

Since452
14-04-2023, 11:59 AM
He's got the ability, physicality and engine to play at a higher level than Hibs. We took a gamble on him knowing his injury problems. I don't blame Hibs for that. I'd have taken a punt on him as well. Was St Mirren captain if i remember rightly. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. As frustrating as it is for us it must only be a fraction of what Kyle is feeling at the moment.

Donegal Hibby
14-04-2023, 12:09 PM
If you don’t laugh you’ll cry, that’s why

I'm just trying to stay positive ( not easy though ) in the hope we sort out the recruitment . I still don't get why anyone would want to laugh at the club , manager or a player getting injured tbh . Though there does seem to be quite a few that do and some like myself that has found some of things not really amusing. I suppose the happy medium here would be for the ones that want to laugh and joke at the club , manager and players would be to form a " let's all laugh at Hibs" thread then some can really knock themselves out while some of the rest of us avoid it :aok:

blackpoolhibs
14-04-2023, 12:24 PM
Who said put him at the top of their wage bill?

It's a long shot I agree but the reality is as it stands he's likely to play little football over the reminder of his contract which is of no use to us. Pay up as much of his contract as needed. Let him try and find another club. He ends up better off. The alternative is hoping he can play regularly again and he gets a contract extension or ends up at a better or similar sized club. Just can't see it. If he can't get past his injury woes then might just have to pack it in. As for moving elsewhere the biggest hurdle is his medical requirements and where that fits in to a clubs costs and insurance.

The club needs to do something about the midfield and Magennis is part of it. Again I'd like to see home.overcome all of this and prove me wrong but right now it doesn't seem to be the case. Hope the next surgery is the one to put this issue to rest.

If he left Hibs after a pay off, now i'm like you only guessing at the pay off. But the scenario used further down was (If say St Mirren want him but will only pay him £2.5k per week, that’s £130k per annum. If we tell Magennis he’s not in our plans and give him a £260k payoff, he’s no worse off and we save £260k over the next two years.)

That would be i'd guess towards the top of their wage structure, probably more i'd imagine?

Unless of course Man united come in for him and everythings sweet.

He's going nowhere, no matter what folk think about him.

Stubbsy90+2
14-04-2023, 12:26 PM
If he left Hibs after a pay off, now i'm like you only guessing at the pay off. But the scenario used further down was (If say St Mirren want him but will only pay him £2.5k per week, that’s £130k per annum. If we tell Magennis he’s not in our plans and give him a £260k payoff, he’s no worse off and we save £260k over the next two years.)

That would be i'd guess towards the top of their wage structure, probably more i'd imagine?

Unless of course Man united come in for him and everythings sweet.

He's going nowhere, no matter what folk think about him.

“For ease of numbers, I’m not suggesting this is what he’s on”.

I mean I didn’t think it could be any clearer that the numbers were only being used as an example but here I am somehow having to explain that. :faf:

blackpoolhibs
14-04-2023, 12:29 PM
“For ease of numbers, I’m not suggesting this is what he’s on”.

I mean I didn’t think it could be any clearer that the numbers were only being used as an example but here I am somehow having to explain that. :faf:
Ah right, so basically your post was complete bollox.

Stubbsy90+2
14-04-2023, 12:30 PM
Ah right, so basically your post was complete bollox.

Do you even have the slightest grasp of what an example is?

blackpoolhibs
14-04-2023, 12:31 PM
Do you even have the slightest grasp of what an example is?

Yes a made up scenario with nothing to back it up. = bollox.

Stubbsy90+2
14-04-2023, 12:33 PM
Yes a made up scenario with nothing to back it up. = bollox.

Well done. With your new found knowledge of how a hypothetical example works I’m surprised you got yourself so excited about said hypothetical example as if it was a fact.

blackpoolhibs
14-04-2023, 12:34 PM
Well done. With your new found knowledge of how a hypothetical example works I’m surprised you got yourself so excited about said hypothetical example as if it was a fact.

Your welcome.

superfurryhibby
14-04-2023, 12:36 PM
Who decides enough is enough?

Would a surgeon continue to carry out surgery knowing that it's not likely to result in a good outcome?

In terms of insurance and medical retirement, I assume that a qualified doctor has to endorse the idea that Magennis can no longer perform his job ?

Stubbsy90+2
14-04-2023, 12:39 PM
Who decides enough is enough?

Would a surgeon continue to carry out surgery knowing that it's not likely to result in a good outcome?

In terms of insurance and medical retirement, I assume that a qualified doctor has to endorse the idea that Magennis can no longer perform his job ?

I would imagine a player could be medically retired if a medical professional deems that to be the case without any real say from the player. It will definitely need someone with a medical background of some sort to sign off on it though.

If the player wanted to go and carry on playing after that they’d probably become pretty much uninsurable.

Stairway 2 7
14-04-2023, 12:42 PM
A number of our fans no little about football or footballers contracts it seems

superfurryhibby
14-04-2023, 12:46 PM
I would imagine a player could be medically retired if a medical professional deems that to be the case without any real say from the player. It will definitely need someone with a medical background of some sort to sign off on it though.

If the player wanted to go and carry on playing after that they’d probably become pretty much uninsurable.

I genuinely have no idea how this part of football operates.

I wonder if clubs pay for all medical interventions or if their insurance covers part of the cost?

What happens if an insurer says they can't cover such a high risk player anymore?

Gmack7
14-04-2023, 12:47 PM
Haven't read the thread. Has it been disclosed what type of surgery he had?

Donegal Hibby
14-04-2023, 12:50 PM
Haven't read the thread. Has it been disclosed what type of surgery he had?
Read this on it , not much though.
https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/kyle-magennis-hibs-season-over-26694559

Bayern Bru
14-04-2023, 01:11 PM
He had a knee op around this time last year, think he had an injection in his pelvis last month? And the current problem is his groin, looks like he's getting surgery on that too. Don't know if it's the same groin issue that caused him issues before but either way, not good

HoboHarry
14-04-2023, 01:55 PM

You are making it up as you go along here lol.

Ozyhibby
14-04-2023, 02:20 PM
Magennis will see out his contract at Hibs. Hibs will pay him every penny they owe him. As they should.
This situation is not the players fault and he is entitled to every penny he negotiated. We did a bad deal and have to live with it.

Brightside
14-04-2023, 02:23 PM
Magennis will see out his contract at Hibs. Hibs will pay him every penny they owe him. As they should.
This situation is not the players fault and he is entitled to every penny he negotiated. We did a bad deal and have to live with it.

Correct. Imagine next season though. Comes out and has 10 good games in a row. "Get this guy on a longer contract" :greengrin

The Modfather
14-04-2023, 02:30 PM
A lesson for the club to learn. Sign someone like Magennis for maybe 3 years, with an optional additional 2 based on appearances, rather than a black and white 5 year deal. Easier said than done and the player has to agree to it if course.

Billy Whizz
14-04-2023, 02:32 PM

Do we actually know if it was a straight 5 year deal.
Most deals have trigger points that add a further year due to options
Could be a 3 year deal that triggers a 4th, then the 4th triggers the 5th?

I think Kyle, unless I’m wrong, travels from the West to East Mains for training etc
I don’t think it helps that he’s sitting in his car for 3/4 hours every day, can’t he helping the injury

Think Dundee Utd stimulate that you must live within a certain radius of Tannadice

Trinity Hibee
14-04-2023, 02:33 PM

I think Kyle, unless I’m wrong, travels from the West to East Mains for training etc
I don’t think it helps that he’s sitting in his car for 3/4 hours every day, can’t he helping the injury

Think Dundee Utd stimulate that you must live within a certain radius of Tannadice

Think Jim McLean used to enforce that. Would be stunned if they still had that rule in place.

MWHIBBIES
14-04-2023, 02:41 PM

Most deals don't have options. It's common but certainly nothing like a majority. It's a 5 year deal.

Brightside
14-04-2023, 02:48 PM
The other side to this is that he won't be on big money after signing a 5 year deal back then. We spend more on a boy who appears to just be a lucky mascot for the squad.

Stubbsy90+2
14-04-2023, 03:59 PM
You are making it up as you go along here lol.

I thought the ‘I would imagine’ part would have made that quite clear!

hibee-boys
14-04-2023, 04:08 PM
I’m assuming that we’ve had to incur sizeable medical bills on top of his contract, not the lad’s fault but just a horrendous signing. Given the cost of private medical treatment that could run to tens of thousands with all the issues he’s had. Just wondering if the club will have some form of private medical insurance to cover players much like we would have for our own private medical cover🤔

CropleyWasGod
14-04-2023, 04:15 PM
I’m assuming that we’ve had to incur sizeable medical bills on top of his contract, not the lad’s fault but just a horrendous signing. Given the cost of private medical treatment that could run to tens of thousands with all the issues he’s had. Just wondering if the club will have some form of private medical insurance to cover players much like we would have for our own private medical cover🤔

They'd be daft not to.

That's one of the reasons players have to have medicals before they sign.

HoboHarry
14-04-2023, 04:17 PM
I thought the ‘I would imagine’ part would have made that quite clear!

Then you need to realign your imagination to be within at least a faint whiff of reality.

Hillsidehibby
14-04-2023, 04:18 PM
They'd be daft not to.

That's one of the reasons players have to have medicals before they sign.

:agree: All Hibs players have BUPA

Stubbsy90+2
14-04-2023, 04:24 PM
Then you need to realign your imagination to be within at least a faint whiff of reality.

Care to tell us how it works then?

Since90+2
14-04-2023, 04:40 PM
I'd give him a 4 year deal tbh.

tamig
14-04-2023, 04:47 PM
Think Jim McLean used to enforce that. Would be stunned if they still had that rule in place.

They don’t. Consigned to the 80s.

jacomo
14-04-2023, 05:07 PM
A lesson for the club to learn. Sign someone like Magennis for maybe 3 years, with an optional additional 2 based on appearances, rather than a black and white 5 year deal. Easier said than done and the player has to agree to it if course.

There are parallels with John McGinn. In his case we all wish he had signed a longer contract extension.

Every signing is a risk to some extent, unless our advice at the medical was highly incompetent then giving Magennis a 5 year contract looked like a good decision at the time.

Since90+2
14-04-2023, 05:15 PM
Hibs giving any player a 5 year contract, especially a player you'd imagine is towards the top of our wage bill, is a massive risk.

I can't imagine it's a risk we will be taking again anytime shortly given the current financial climate.

On Kyle, he's done nothing wrong, top player when fit and I hope he can get over those issues and continue playing at the top level.

Ozyhibby
14-04-2023, 06:37 PM
I'd give him a 4 year deal tbh.

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/our-club/vacancies/matchday-vacancies

J-C
14-04-2023, 07:11 PM
The only mistake Hibs made signing McGennis was the length of contract, a 2 year deal with an option to extend once he'd proved his fitness was the way it should've gone, a 5 year deal was shocking and it's now proved to be a very bad deal for is.

Bronson
14-04-2023, 09:50 PM
He should retire. Brutal for the lad he’s a good player and should be coming into his peak but his body is telling him something and all these surgeries, injections and repeated injuries can’t be good for him in later life

MWHIBBIES
14-04-2023, 10:19 PM
He should retire. Brutal for the lad he’s a good player and should be coming into his peak but his body is telling him something and all these surgeries, injections and repeated injuries can’t be good for him in later life

Players have got over far worse injuries than this. He should follow advice and if he wants to recover and potentially could, he should do it.

PHeffernan
14-04-2023, 11:04 PM

He's only 24.
Hardly at the end of the road although sorting this issue is already 18 months down the track.
Now we realise surgery is required! Brutal stuff.

Dmas
15-04-2023, 06:30 AM
The only mistake Hibs made signing McGennis was the length of contract, a 2 year deal with an option to extend once he'd proved his fitness was the way it should've gone, a 5 year deal was shocking and it's now proved to be a very bad deal for is.

It’s a gamble the other way as well, he could have got over the injury and hit the ground running and we could have struggled to extend the deal, hindsight’s a wonderful thing

J-C
15-04-2023, 08:22 AM
It’s a gamble the other way as well, he could have got over the injury and hit the ground running and we could have struggled to extend the deal, hindsight’s a wonderful thing

Not if the extension was pro Hibs, look what happened with Paul McGinn, the extension was triggered by him and made it embarrassing as we wanted rid.

Billy Whizz
15-04-2023, 08:24 AM
Not if the extension was pro Hibs, look what happened with Paul McGinn, the extension was triggered by him and made it embarrassing as we wanted rid.

And arguably he hasn’t been replaced adequately

JimBHibees
15-04-2023, 08:25 AM
And arguably he hasn’t been replaced adequately

Agree should have kept him for another season imo

archie
15-04-2023, 08:28 AM
For me we have a contract with Kyle and we have to honour it. He might come good - he might not. But what signal does it send to signing targets if we treat players who get injured really badly? If we expect players to honour contracts then the club has to as well. So the 'get rid' stuff doesn't cut it. And maybe, just maybe, a fit Kyle might still do a job for us.

jacomo
15-04-2023, 09:19 AM

Hindsight is always easy.

Remember that at the time st Mirren were desperate to keep him. Hibs had to offer a big offer if we wanted the player.

Eyrie
15-04-2023, 09:31 AM

The embarrassment wasn't caused by the extension but by Hibs announcing it.

Best policy would have been to keep quiet and let McGinn find another club.

hibstag
15-04-2023, 10:45 AM
Hibs can literally pay him off any minute they want to do so. They’d have to pay up his contract, but pay him off is exactly as it says on the tin, pay him.

Some folk seem to be making out like ‘pay him off’ means ‘don’t pay him another penny regardless of his contract status’ :confused:

I’m complete confused too a poster above suggested using hypothetical figures that paying him 560k now would save us money over paying him for the duration of two years left ? No we would take a massive hit on current cash flow and loads of hibs throw player on scrap heap type headlines

hibsbollah
15-04-2023, 11:02 AM

That’s a great post. Hibs class tocoin a phrase.