PDA

View Full Version : Full Backs

Mikey_1875
09-04-2023, 06:12 PM
We probably have bigger problems at the club but our full backs are the weakest part of our team currently imo. Especially if we are playing LJ’s preferred 4 at the back.

Cadden - A lack of positional awareness and cannot defend at times to save himself. Ripped to shreds today and I can’t quite believe he was our POTY last year albeit at wing back. Does offer something going forward now and again but it is seriously negated on days like today.

Miller - Difficult year for him and he has looked clumsy/naive at times. Promising performance at Parkhead then disappears. Wouldn’t mind seeing more but not sure if he is the answer.

Cabraja - Can deliver a good ball on occasion but suspect defensively. Gets targeted often and weak in the air.

Stevenson - A solid enough defender but doesn’t offer enough going forward against the lesser teams. Will be needing replaced due to age sooner or later.

If we end up with a bunch of dead rubbers after the split then I would play McIntyre and Miller then make decisions from there. Teams are currently targeting us down the wings often and getting too much joy.

Hiber-nation
09-04-2023, 06:22 PM
We probably have bigger problems at the club but our full backs are the weakest part of our team currently imo. Especially if we are playing LJ’s preferred 4 at the back.

Cadden - A lack of positional awareness and cannot defend at times to save himself. Ripped to shreds today and I can’t quite believe he was our POTY last year albeit at wing back. Does offer something going forward now and again but it is seriously negated on days like today.

Miller - Difficult year for him and he has looked clumsy/naive at times. Promising performance at Parkhead then disappears. Wouldn’t mind seeing more but not sure if he is the answer.

Cabraja - Can deliver a good ball on occasion but suspect defensively. Gets targeted often and weak in the air.

Stevenson - A solid enough defender but doesn’t offer enough going forward against the lesser teams. Will be needing replaced due to age sooner or later.

If we end up with a bunch of dead rubbers after the split then I would play McIntyre and Miller then make decisions from there. Teams are currently targeting us down the wings often and getting too much joy.

Yep, good attacking full backs/wing backs are essential and ours are miles short.

Cadden poor crosser and can't defend but very good ball carrier. Cabraja is far too slow and brings nothing going forward. Lewis can only be back up if he gets a new deal.

Miller - who knows.

Crab apple
09-04-2023, 07:42 PM

I actually thought that this afternoon. We were weak on both sides and today we didn’t even benefit from Cadden’s usual strong running with no end product.

Real Emerald
09-04-2023, 07:47 PM
Cabraja is awful and Cadden really can’t defend. Stevenson unbelievably is still the best full back we have and getting rid of McGinn at the time we did was the wrong move. Yes we need better tran Stevenson but Cabraja is not the answer.

madhatter
09-04-2023, 07:50 PM
Cabraja is awful and Cadden really can’t defend. Stevenson unbelievably is still the best full back we have and getting rid of McGinn at the time we did was the wrong move. Yes we need better tran Stevenson but Cabraja is not the answer.

Think Macintyre will be playing next season.

Tyler Durden
09-04-2023, 08:02 PM
Another weird one from Johnson to drop Miller after Celtic game. He had the chance to build some momentum and confidence and we revert to Cadden who has shown he’s not up to the bigger games. Increasingly Cadden is not good enough for the games like today where we are favourites

Donegal Hibby
09-04-2023, 10:46 PM
Chris Cadden is a very good attacking player who's good at crossing and can play in games like today, it was a excellent cross that he delivered for our goal in the Motherwell game and he can play in most games. Defending isn't his strong point though attacking down the right is which is why I see him more as a RM . He is one player of only a few players in our team that's exciting to watch imo.

Vault Boy
09-04-2023, 10:56 PM
Cadds is being asked to do too much in his current role. RWB in a back 5, grand, but RB in a 4 is asking for trouble. He’s one of our better attackers IMO and he’s constantly sprinting the length of the pitch to provide that option, his running stats must be right up there. It creates the issue where teams can overload on his side on the counter attack as we aren’t shaped up to mitigate for his advanced runs. When he does get back to shape up to the opponent, he’s often knackered, which when combined with a lack of natural aptitude for outright defensive work means he’s being beaten quite often.

I actually like him a lot, I just think he’s being horribly misused. There’s no doubt that he’s had a poorer season, but I think he could be a real asset playing further forward. He’s powerful, fit, can create, and seems to have a great character and attitude. Just hope a new manager can get the best out of him.

ChilliEater
10-04-2023, 02:30 AM
Cadds is being asked to do too much in his current role. RWB in a back 5, grand, but RB in a 4 is asking for trouble. He’s one of our better attackers IMO and he’s constantly sprinting the length of the pitch to provide that option, his running stats must be right up there. It creates the issue where teams can overload on his side on the counter attack as we aren’t shaped up to mitigate for his advanced runs. When he does get back to shape up to the opponent, he’s often knackered, which when combined with a lack of natural aptitude for outright defensive work means he’s being beaten quite often.

I actually like him a lot, I just think he’s being horribly misused. There’s no doubt that he’s had a poorer season, but I think he could be a real asset playing further forward. He’s powerful, fit, can create, and seems to have a great character and attitude. Just hope a new manager can get the best out of him.

Agree with this. Not the silkiest of footballers, but powerful and willing runner who creates quite a lot with his forward runs and crosses. I think he needs to improve his crossing, but when he gets it right he gets creates chances for the strikers. Not one I'd be looking to get rid of.

andrew70
10-04-2023, 02:43 AM
Agree with this. Not the silkiest of footballers, but powerful and willing runner who creates quite a lot with his forward runs and crosses. I think he needs to improve his crossing, but when he gets it right he gets creates chances for the strikers. Not one I'd be looking to get rid of.

He’s one I absolutely would be looking to get rid of.

Consistently under performed for numerous managers now.

He offers nothing defensively or in attack.

His running ability is all he has. Mix that with better crossing, better decision making and better in a positional sense then there might be a reason in keeping him.

The Modfather
10-04-2023, 06:46 AM
He’s one I absolutely would be looking to get rid of.

Consistently under performed for numerous managers now.

He offers nothing defensively or in attack.

His running ability is all he has. Mix that with better crossing, better decision making and better in a positional sense then there might be a reason in keeping him.

I’m not a fan. An impressive runner and athlete but an ineffective footballer. Poor defensively and he is one of our most prominent attackers on the right (which to be fair is to his credit given how much ground he has to make up to do so). However for the amount of crosses and advanced positions he gets in he has 2 assists last season and 4 this season. If they don’t hit the defender then they are often just smashed in regardless of where our players are in the box.

Full backs and midfield needing major surgery yet again.

Mikey_1875
10-04-2023, 07:03 AM

That’s an interesting point on Cadden. The first one that springs to mind is the recent Rangers game where in the first half Cadden is pushed so far up the park when Rangers were in possession that it left acres in behind for Kent or Sakala to run into and pick up the ball. You would imagine if that wasn’t part of LJs plan that he would coach that out of him pretty quickly.

What I will say though is that even in one on one defending he isn’t up to scratch and yesterday Behich had the beating of him almost every time. To be fair to Cadden he is never found wanting for effort and I think he enjoys playing for us so I wouldn’t want to go over the top on him. I just feel that a “natural” right back plays the role better than he ever will and a natural right mid/winger will also perform better than him in that position. He is left in no mans land in the current system and I am not sure he is worth adapting how we want to play for.

Smartie
10-04-2023, 09:57 AM

I wouldn’t be getting rid either but we have to learn how to capitalise in his strengths and not expose his weaknesses. I’m not sure Johnson’s the manager to solve that conundrum, but might be the one to hurl him under the bus repeatedly.

wookie70
10-04-2023, 10:22 AM

I agree with much of that. Also he and the left back are essentially the only defence on the wings. McKirdy and Youan don't defend and we let far too many crosses into the box from our byeline. Cadden was very poor yesterday and far too many balls came in from his side.

flash
10-04-2023, 11:12 AM
Left back in particular is a massive problem with neither Cabraja or Stevenson remotely near the required level.

CentreLine
10-04-2023, 12:01 PM
Might have helped if we’d had a recognised centre half alongside Fish to allow our full backs to do their own job. What is Devlin doing that he can’t get a game with Hanlon out?

jacomo
10-04-2023, 07:31 PM
Think Macintyre will be playing next season.

Great I hope he is.

But not offering Lewis a new deal is madness. Even if MacIntyre is as good as Doig, he won’t be able to play every week - that is putting far too much on a young player in their first proper season.

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2023, 07:36 PM
Cadden has been bombing us forward all season, especially at home. Been vital in many wins. To say he offers nothing offensively is just nonsense.

Full backs are an issue, though. Real quality ones would've had us right up the league. Too many games they've been slack.

Tbh, everyone has things they need to improve on. Including Boyle and Nisbet.

BILLYHIBS
10-04-2023, 08:16 PM
Cadden poor defensively and offensively but has a great engine

Probably why so many teams target our right hand side

If he could look up and pick out a man he would be world class

Probably why he is still at Hibs

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Are we expecting more than 6 goal contributions from our right back? Cadden just fine offensively IMO. 1 goal 5 assists. Drives us forward time and again. Are folk expecting Tavernier numbers?

Whittaker never got close to that in his first spell for Hibs for anyone wondering.

He is very poor defensively, though, like a rabbit in the headlights. Gets very little cover, but yes, he is poor.

cameronw-hfc
10-04-2023, 08:32 PM
Cabraja has looked like a different man after his dad died. Really feel for him, started so well but seems to have gone backwards.

Cadds is good as a RWB as he has the right CB to help, but in a back 4 his defending is suicidal at times

BILLYHIBS
10-04-2023, 08:48 PM
Are we expecting more than 6 goal contributions from our right back? Cadden just fine offensively IMO. 1 goal 5 assists. Drives us forward time and again. Are folk expecting Tavernier numbers?

Whittaker never got close to that in his first spell for Hibs for anyone wondering.

He is very poor defensively, though, like a rabbit in the headlights. Gets very little cover, but yes, he is poor.

In his first spell with Hibs Steven Whittaker scored 5:150 appearances

Chris Cadden has scored 4:80 appearances

Steven Whittaker was the better footballer by a country mile with 30 caps for Scotland and a list of honours that I can’t be arsed looking up that he won with the Huns

League Cup winner with Hibs

Some games Chris Cadden looks as though he has never seen a football before

Even one of his team mates says he only delivers one good cross a season ( allegedly) 😀

The Modfather
10-04-2023, 08:55 PM

Cadden basically played as the whole right side of our attack last season. He might be more of a RB this season but he finds himself at the bye line more than a conventional full back would, which is credit to his athleticism. However for someone who has the ball in crossing positions as much as he does his numbers are poor. Crossing is one of his poorest attributes IMO.

JammyDoidger
10-04-2023, 09:16 PM
The problem is again recruitment we've signed boys with no idea of how we are actually going to play, signing for the sake of signing you could say or scattergun, We've got nisbet, hoppe, myko, Youan, McKirdy, and 2 young laddies knocking on the door but play with 1 through the middle. We can't play 3 at the back as it means playing defenders who aren't good enough or fit enough, this team doesn't suit 3 at the back, but without Boyle and McGeady it doesn't suit 4-3-3. Snookered.

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2023, 09:51 PM
In his first spell with Hibs Steven Whittaker scored 5:150 appearances

Chris Cadden has scored 4:80 appearances

Steven Whittaker was the better footballer by a country mile with 30 caps for Scotland and a list of honours that I can’t be arsed looking up that he won with the Huns

League Cup winner with Hibs

Some games Chris Cadden looks as though he has never seen a football before

Even one of his team mates says he only delivers one good cross a season ( allegedly) 😀

What games are these? Cadden has many faults but his offensive play really isn't a major one. Whittaker was definitely a better footballer. Cadden is contributing more goals and assists in a much poorer side, though. 1 goal 5 assists really isn't bad at all.

Whichever teammate said that (allegedly) is without any doubt a moron as it's not true. Puts in at least 1 good cross per match.

BILLYHIBS
11-04-2023, 05:59 AM
What games are these? Cadden has many faults but his offensive play really isn't a major one. Whittaker was definitely a better footballer. Cadden is contributing more goals and assists in a much poorer side, though. 1 goal 5 assists really isn't bad at all.

Whichever teammate said that (allegedly) is without any doubt a moron as it's not true. Puts in at least 1 good cross per match.

Chris Cadden has 3 assists 1 goal and 3 yellows from 30 appearances this season

Another that I would not be bothered if he stays or goes tbh

https://i.ibb.co/bQjXK9W/934-CBBE8-581-F-4131-9890-25-F8-BB5-FBAEF.png (https://ibb.co/vVCkjnw)

https://i.ibb.co/SXBQ48Z/C4777035-C2-E0-43-C8-B78-B-E61033607-FCA.png (https://ibb.co/0jrBRSz)

https://i.ibb.co/1v0QqX0/C0-CD4-D38-B012-415-B-9-A43-E74866527640.png (https://ibb.co/3rTdNFT)
upload picture for url (https://imgbb.com/)

MWHIBBIES
11-04-2023, 06:04 AM
Chris Cadden has 3 assists 1 goal and 3 yellows from 30 appearances this season

Another that I would not be bothered if he stays or goes tbh

https://i.ibb.co/bQjXK9W/934-CBBE8-581-F-4131-9890-25-F8-BB5-FBAEF.png (https://ibb.co/vVCkjnw)

https://i.ibb.co/SXBQ48Z/C4777035-C2-E0-43-C8-B78-B-E61033607-FCA.png (https://ibb.co/0jrBRSz)

He has 5 assists. Aberdeen at home, st Johnstone at home, Livi away, Motherwell at home, Clyde at home.

BILLYHIBS
11-04-2023, 06:11 AM
He has 5 assists. Aberdeen at home, st Johnstone at home, Livi away, Motherwell at home, Clyde at home.

Lies damned lies and statistics

His biggest asset is that he is a natural athlete with a tremendous engine not a great footballer in my eyes if he could work on that side of his game more read the game anticipate more and look up and pick out a pass he would be a fantastic player I still don’t think he looks comfortable on the ball clumsy at times and others are saying he refuses to pass to McKirdy so he must look up sometimes 😀

Edit :

Two other sites saying 3 assists One saying 4 assists

JimBHibees
11-04-2023, 07:12 AM

Agree with that he is basically asked to cover the length of the pitch. Defensively poor especially in one v ones and positionally. Like his attitude and athleticism.