PDA

View Full Version : Lewie

keep the faith
08-04-2023, 02:06 PM
This gave me the fear.

Surely we are not releasing Stevenson??

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-makes-kevin-nisbet-29657001

keep the faith
08-04-2023, 02:07 PM
To save daily record clicks:

Meanwhile, Hibs stalwart Lewis Stevenson is yet to be offered a new contract. The long serving legend has been at the club for 18 years, although could be set to depart in a few weeks. However, Johnson planned to sit down with the left back, but didn’t let on as to whether he would be offered a new deal.

He told Sky Sports: “He hasn’t been offered a contract today as we speak. Funnily enough, directly after this conversation I'm having a good chat with Lew about the short, medium and long-term future. That’s important and he deserves that respect, but it would be unwise of me to discuss it before I’ve discussed it with him.”

MWHIBBIES
08-04-2023, 02:10 PM
Would be ridiculous to release him and then need to sign another player that offers that depth.

Pretty Boy
08-04-2023, 02:13 PM
He'll be 36 mid way through next season. I'm not sure it would be that much of a shock.

Football is a ruthless business, sentiment is for the fans. If Johnson tells him he'll be offered a new deal on reduced terms and isn't going to be considered a starter then LS may feel he wants to look elsewhere. Equally Hibs might feel that it is a wage that can be used better elsewhere.

It's never easy saying goodbye to players who have served us well but we can't be offering long term deals to people based on past exploits again.

JohnM1875
08-04-2023, 02:14 PM
Would be ridiculous to release him and then need to sign another player that offers that depth.

Doesn't make sense at all. He's probably started as many games as anyone else at left back this season as well. Easiest year extension going in my opinion.

B.H.F.C
08-04-2023, 02:15 PM
When Johnson was speaking at the AST event a couple of weeks back he mentioned that Stevenson had a couple of offers from elsewhere and that we hadn’t offered him anything yet. He did mention that we’d been talking to him about a couple of other things, sure he mentioned something to do with recruitment.

My take from it was that if Lewis is still at the club next year it will be in a non playing capacity and if he wants to play he’ll need to move. Might be totally wrong but from what I heard, that was what I took.

Pretty Boy
08-04-2023, 02:19 PM
Doesn't make sense at all. He's probably started as many games as anyone else at left back this season as well. Easiest year extension going in my opinion.

I think that is more down to our failure to recruit a really good LB as much as anything. If Cabraja was to get an offer from elsewhere I could see him being allowed to go and LS staying as cover. I'm certain LB is an area we will be looking to recruit a starter though and it's unlikely we will run with 3 there. With Cabraja having a contract beyond this season then he's likely to be the one who stays if no one else comes along for him.

Billy Whizz
08-04-2023, 02:24 PM
Unless we’re moving on Cabraja in the summer, we’ll have 3 left backs in our 1st team squad
I’m presuming Oscar McIntyre will be part of it next season
Lewis maybe wants to play next season, so maybe his opportunities will be limited, but I still believe he’s a key person in the squad that really cares about Hibs

Donegal Hibby
08-04-2023, 04:04 PM
I think we will see Hibs give him another year deal even at 35 he seems to have plenty energy and stamina and can play a few different positions in the team if needed . Still a very useful player to have at Hibs imo .

archie
08-04-2023, 04:14 PM
I think we will see Hibs give him another year deal even at 35 he seems to have plenty energy and stamina and can play a few different positions in the team if needed . Still a very useful player to have at Hibs imo .

Another team might offer him a longer deal.

B.H.F.C
08-04-2023, 04:19 PM

Or money. Johnson spoken quite a few times about budget. And about a tighter squad. Get the feeling he won’t want to be spending too much on squad players, especially when you still have a contracted left back and a young player (who he even referenced the other day) potentially coming through.

grunt
08-04-2023, 04:28 PM
Surely we won't get rid of Stevenson at this point in his career?

supermcginn
08-04-2023, 04:35 PM
This gave me the fear.

Surely we are not releasing Stevenson??

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-makes-kevin-nisbet-29657001

I'd be amazed if he's not playing for Raith rovers next season.

B.H.F.C
08-04-2023, 04:39 PM
Surely we won't get rid of Stevenson at this point in his career?

Would it really be ‘getting rid’ of him? He’s 35 , 36 half way through next season. One thing he clearly still is, is very fit. Maybe he’ll want to play and we can’t guarantee that.

Cod Boy
08-04-2023, 05:02 PM
Time to bring through Oscar McIntyre next season

SON OF PADDY
08-04-2023, 05:12 PM

I agree with you,but who better to mentor the young lad !

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-04-2023, 05:22 PM

Raith Rovers? 🤔😏

Cod Boy
08-04-2023, 06:31 PM

Northernhibee
08-04-2023, 06:50 PM
Johnson and Ben can leave the club before Lewie. Still our best left back by a mile.

B.H.F.C
08-04-2023, 07:01 PM
Johnson and Ben can leave the club before Lewie. Still our best left back by a mile.

I don’t think he’s significantly better than Cabraja. Certainly not by a mile.

Much of a muchness, hence the chopping and changing.

MWHIBBIES
08-04-2023, 07:02 PM

He isn't miles better than Cabraja. Both are decent. We could do better for first choice

Northernhibee
08-04-2023, 07:05 PM

In terms of positioning and first touch it isn’t even close IMO.

LewysGot2
08-04-2023, 07:17 PM

Defensively there’s a difference. Definitely.

B.H.F.C
08-04-2023, 07:42 PM
In terms of positioning and first touch it isn’t even close IMO.

Doesn’t really significantly improve the team when one is in over the other.

If for instance you have Youan in over McKirdy, huge improvement. Nisbet over Hoppe is the same. Not Stevenson over Cabraja or other way about.

If Cabraja was out of contract and Lewis wasn’t, I’d say don’t offer Cabraja another contract. Same applies this way round for me and I think the only reason it’s really a discussion is because it’s Lewis (which I get).

B.H.F.C
08-04-2023, 07:46 PM
Defensively there’s a difference. Definitely.

Without looking I’d guess there isn’t a great deal difference in our defensive records when you swap one for the other.

Stubbsy90+2
08-04-2023, 07:49 PM
Doesn’t really significantly improve the team when one is in over the other.

If for instance you have Youan in over McKirdy, huge improvement. Nisbet over Hoppe is the same. Not Stevenson over Cabraja or other way about.

If Cabraja was out of contract and Lewis wasn’t, I’d say don’t offer Cabraja another contract. Same applies this way round for me and I think the only reason it’s really a discussion is because it’s Lewis (which I get).

Na not for me.

There’s a good bit of difference when Lewis is in ahead of Cabraja.

Needs to be given another year imo.

matty_f
08-04-2023, 07:56 PM
Going to be a weird time when there’s no Stevenson in the team/squad. There will be adults going to games who have seen Stevenson there their whole lives.

He’ll be missed.

B.H.F.C
08-04-2023, 08:00 PM
Na not for me.

There’s a good bit of difference when Lewis is in ahead of Cabraja.

Needs to be given another year imo.

If I saw a clear improvement in us with him in the team over Cabraja then I’d agree. Just think that we have such an average squad that we can’t have two left backs who will be in and out the team on the books. Bit of a toss up as to who will play and it blocks any chance for McIntyre as well. Just think, if you remove the fact it’s Lewis from the equation, there isn’t much to think about.

B.H.F.C
08-04-2023, 08:02 PM
Going to be a weird time when there’s no Stevenson in the team/squad. There will be adults going to games who have seen Stevenson there their whole lives.

He’ll be missed.

I do agree with that. He’s a big part of the club and been part of the squad, since making his debut, for basically half my life and more than half my Hibs supporting life.

Northernhibee
08-04-2023, 08:06 PM
If I saw a clear improvement in us with him in the team over Cabraja then I’d agree. Just think that we have such an average squad that we can’t have two left backs who will be in and out the team on the books. Bit of a toss up as to who will play and it blocks any chance for McIntyre as well. Just think, if you remove the fact it’s Lewis from the equation, there isn’t much to think about.
When you look at how much Josh Doig benefited from the mentorship of Lewis, there’s no question.

Out of Cabraja and Stevenson, who gets the club more? Who can pass that onto young MacIntyre and other youngsters better? Who has achieved more? Who can understand what it’s like to come through the youth ranks at the club? Who is the better player?

It’s the same answer for all of those questions.

B.H.F.C
08-04-2023, 08:15 PM
When you look at how much Josh Doig benefited from the mentorship of Lewis, there’s no question.

Out of Cabraja and Stevenson, who gets the club more? Who can pass that onto young MacIntyre and other youngsters better? Who has achieved more? Who can understand what it’s like to come through the youth ranks at the club? Who is the better player?

All the questions are irrelevant for me because one has two years on a contract and one doesn’t have a contract. I don’t think we can afford to keep players because they’ve done well in the past or they might have a good influence. If he majorly improved the team, fair enough, but I’m not sure he does. Think we need players that make us a better side above all else.

We have been hampered in midfield this season because we have a lot of average players contracted. I don’t think we can go doing that in other positions now, if we want to improve next year.

Hibees1973
08-04-2023, 08:40 PM
It's time for Stevenson to move on.

To have him in the team at time this season only highlights deficiencies in recruitment.

Time for younger and new blood.

NAE NOOKIE
08-04-2023, 08:53 PM
We need to move on and if that means Lewis moving on then so be it. We cant hold on to players because they might be a mentor to the guy taking their place, start doing that and you will have about 10 players on the books just coaching players in each position like an American football team, we already have David Gray as a coach who knows how to play full back, right or left does it really matter?

Lewis Stevenson will be just fine, I'm pretty sure he has been doing, or has done, his coaching badges and given the fact that he has been a first team football player for near on 17 years, with experience in cup finals, relegation battles, Europe and even played in the Azteca stadium, not to mention having proved a brilliant attitude during all of it, I highly doubt he will be short of offers as a player / coach or even both.

Donegal Hibby
08-04-2023, 09:00 PM
It's time for Stevenson to move on.

To have him in the team at time this season only highlights deficiencies in recruitment.

Time for younger and new blood.
Why is it time for him to move on though? He's still fit , can play different positions and if you've got a young player who's still learning the game Stevenson is a perfect role model for him to learn off.

The reason he's been in the team this season is simply he has turned in consistently good performance's and offer's us something abit different to cabraja and it's nothing to do with deficiencies in recruitment .

Concentrate on improving the quality of the first team squad and keep Stevenson as a squad player . There's far more positive reasons why it would be good to keep Stevenson on next year than letting him go !

McD
08-04-2023, 09:06 PM

Nailed it :thumbsup:

raeburnhibs
08-04-2023, 09:38 PM
we need to move on

Eyrie
09-04-2023, 09:23 AM
The question of Stevenson's new contract isn't about him but about MacIntyre's readiness to be a full time starter for us.

If Macintyre needs a year on loan then Stevenson should get a one year deal to compete with Cabraja at LB next season.

eastmainsmsh
09-04-2023, 09:29 AM
Been a great player and still is hope he is offered a new deal 👍

Keepthefaith
09-04-2023, 09:39 AM
if you read between the lines, with the mention of long term I'd assume his are looking at keeping lewis at his but not in a playing capacity. its green tinted glasses if we thunk he can still do a job on the pitch next season but absolutely we need his values within the club to guide younger players

jacomo
09-04-2023, 09:49 AM
He'll be 36 mid way through next season. I'm not sure it would be that much of a shock.

Football is a ruthless business, sentiment is for the fans. If Johnson tells him he'll be offered a new deal on reduced terms and isn't going to be considered a starter then LS may feel he wants to look elsewhere. Equally Hibs might feel that it is a wage that can be used better elsewhere.

It's never easy saying goodbye to players who have served us well but we can't be offering long term deals to people based on past exploits again.

Yes sentiment is for the fans. And keeping this brilliant pro at our club for his entire career is the kind of sentiment I believe in. It’s so unusual these days.

If LJ doesn’t offer him a new contract pronto he can gtf.

grunt
09-04-2023, 09:58 AM
Cabraja starts ahead of Stevenson today.

Dashing Bob S
09-04-2023, 10:05 AM
Great player but none of them last forever. Down to the manager as to whether he can be replaced with someone better. This day is either now or next year.

Bronson
09-04-2023, 01:25 PM
I love stevenson as a person but he is dreadful at football now he can’t get up and down that left hand side like he used to. He should hang up the boots or be moved on, no space for sentiment in football.

The Modfather
09-04-2023, 01:29 PM
Watching Stevenson & Cadden trying to cross a ball is soul destroying. Certainly can’t have both, probably not either, playing if we are to ever move forward.

Dunbar Hibee
09-04-2023, 01:31 PM
Totally fine as a squad player. We really do need better as a starter though

Spike Mandela
09-04-2023, 01:39 PM
Josh Doig was the ideal replacement for Stevenson but circumstances meant we had to sell him unfortunately.

I have no issues with Stevenson getting another season but he might fancy going to a club like Raith and getting 40 games a season rather than sub appearances at Hibs. He has been an amazing servant to Hibs but sentimentality shouldn’t come into it.

However, if it was a choice between taking a risk on only one contract between McGeady and Stevenson it would be Stevenson all day long.

madhatter
09-04-2023, 01:40 PM
Josh Doig was the ideal replacement for Stevenson but circumstances meant we had to sell him unfortunately.

I have no issues with Stevenson getting another season but he might fancy going to a club like Raith and getting 40 games a season rather than sub appearances at Hibs. He has been an amazing servant to Hibs but sentimentality shouldn’t come into it.

However, if it was a choice between taking a risk on only one contract between McGeady and Stevenson it would be Stevenson all day long.

Neither should be given a contract. We need a strong starting 11 and neither will be part of that.

Dunbar Hibee
09-04-2023, 01:47 PM

Who’s to say Cabraja doesn’t ‘get the club’? Weird statement

jacomo
09-04-2023, 02:36 PM
Neither should be given a contract. We need a strong starting 11 and neither will be part of that.

It’s a squad game, no?

McGruber
09-04-2023, 02:48 PM

It is. Plus, who would you rather have playing in the derby?

madhatter
09-04-2023, 02:54 PM
It’s a squad game, no?

Yes. And our squad is garbage partially due to nostalgia. We gave McGregor and Gray lengthy contracts when they were essentially crippled. Campbell and JDH got new lengthy contracts for doing virtually nothing.

We give contracts out like sweeties.

hibsbollah
09-04-2023, 02:58 PM
Yes. And our squad is garbage partially due to nostalgia. We gave McGregor and Gray lengthy contracts when they were essentially crippled. Campbell and JDH got new lengthy contracts for doing virtually nothing.

Great call giving Campbell that contract. Scores goals,drives us on. He’s on a poor run of form but he’s not a problem.

LewysGot2
09-04-2023, 03:09 PM
Cabraja starts ahead of Stevenson today.

Has had fluid on his knee. Johnson saying that's why he didn't start.

keep the faith
09-04-2023, 04:09 PM

Nonsense. The contracts that are killing us are nothing to do with nostalgia. Gray and Mcgregor are big contributers to the club. I think Lewie would be great to keep around on sensible terms. I personally dont think he should be finishing his career elsewhere. Longs deals for JDH, McKirdy, Jair, Henderson. That's the problem.

HibeeMackenzie
09-04-2023, 06:25 PM
No one can have watched that game today and tell me that cabraja is a better left back than Stevenson

Eyrie
09-04-2023, 06:29 PM
Nonsense. The contracts that are killing us are nothing to do with nostalgia. Gray and Mcgregor are big contributers to the club. I think Lewie would be great to keep around on sensible terms. I personally dont think he should be finishing his career elsewhere. Longs deals for JDH, McKirdy, Jair, Henderson. That's the problem.

Add in the money wasted on the vanity project development squad. Each wage individually isn't much, but add a couple of those to a first team wage and we could sign a better standard of player than we have.

The Modfather
09-04-2023, 06:34 PM
No one can have watched that game today and tell me that cabraja is a better left back than Stevenson

Alternatively, Stevenson wouldn’t have made much of a difference to the flow of the game or outcome. Both much of a muchness IMO. Some good games followed by poor games from both.

EVENTUALLY
09-04-2023, 06:41 PM
Alternatively, Stevenson wouldn’t have made much of a difference to the flow of the game or outcome. Both much of a muchness IMO. Some good games followed by poor games from both.
I think he might have. Lewis Stevenson has his flaws but stopping the cross is not one of them. He consistently gets a tackle or block in. Cabraja and Cadden are very poor defenders and both guilty of allowing crosses to be played into the middle of the defence.

hibee_girl
15-04-2023, 02:11 PM
We can't let him leave.

weecounty hibby
15-04-2023, 02:36 PM
Fantastic. You can see what it means to him every time he pulls on that Jersey. Pity he is now getting on but you wouldn't have known today

LithgaeHibby
15-04-2023, 02:56 PM
Lewie was immense today and showed why it's so important that we keep him. He might not play every week next season, but he will be there if needed, and there will be times when he will be needed.

makaveli1875
15-04-2023, 03:06 PM
He was excellent today , motoring up and down the left . Winning the ball , picking out passes . Couple of lovely through balls .

Vault Boy
15-04-2023, 03:07 PM
So, so good. Our best left back and it’s not even close. Please give him another year or two.

CL0762
15-04-2023, 03:11 PM
I ****ing love him so much.

Willis1875
15-04-2023, 03:12 PM
Won’t realise his worth to us until he’s no longer with us.

Class today

LewysGot2
15-04-2023, 03:34 PM
Bleeds green. Warrior again today

jacomo
15-04-2023, 03:36 PM

How we’ve not offered a new one year contract to Lewis yet is baffling to me. He was a soldier today.

jacomo
15-04-2023, 03:38 PM
So, so good. Our best left back and it’s not even close. Please give him another year or two.

He will happily accept a 1 year deal like he has the past few seasons.

That’s unless Hibs have annoyed him by dithering so long.

HibbyAndy
15-04-2023, 03:40 PM
He's still the best Left back at the club

Get him a new deal pronto !

worcesterhibby
15-04-2023, 03:42 PM
New deal today please !

one day maybe...
15-04-2023, 04:25 PM
Proper Legend. Yes! yes! He should get a rolling contract and given the opportunity to finish his career with Hibs. Anything less is disappointing from the club

hibee_girl
15-04-2023, 04:28 PM
https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/status/1647269802371846154

He's a warrior

Simkin911
15-04-2023, 04:36 PM
Absolutely smashed into a tackle in the first half to stop a loose ball falling to a Hearts player. Was never going to shirk that tackle. He’s been a great servant for Hibs across many years and managers.

Shrekko
15-04-2023, 04:37 PM
Would be absolutely ludicrous if he wasn’t offered a new deal.

Anyone who can perform at that level for us shouldn’t be discarded until we have somebody obviously better which is far from the case at this point.

Add in all the intangibles he brings and it shouldn’t even be a debate.

lyonhibs
15-04-2023, 04:43 PM
Every derby he wins brings an extra wee smile to my face

The Spaceman
15-04-2023, 04:50 PM
He was so good today. He’s 100% worth a contract extension, still very impressive physically for his age/a model Scottish football pro. Hibernian legend.

Diclonius
15-04-2023, 04:58 PM
Lewis Stevenson

Big_Franck
15-04-2023, 05:08 PM
Definitely worth another year, especially considering the wages he'll be on. Great squad player and might even want to start part time coaching next year. He was fantastic and embodied everything that was good about our performance today.

McD
15-04-2023, 05:13 PM
When you consider the dross that’s passed through Easter Road and masqueraded in a Hibs jersey over the last 16 years, we really are lucky to have had such a model pro as LS in our ranks all that time

should go down a genuine legend when he leaves (hopefully of his own choice). There’s not many have a record like his for our club

7Hero
15-04-2023, 05:28 PM
Well deserved another contract, shocking the club don't think so tbh...

Mr Grieves
15-04-2023, 05:30 PM
Fantastic, he knows what it means

Benny Brazil
15-04-2023, 05:38 PM
Love the guy - teams seem to think he is the weak link and stick a big guy out on his side (Humphrey today, Nouble Livi) but he never shirks the challenge and always steps up

Stubbsy90+2
15-04-2023, 05:44 PM
Still one of the best left backs in our league.

What a player, what a man.

I certainly wouldn’t trade him for Kingsley.. or whoever plays LB for anyone else.

Northernhibee
22-04-2023, 04:53 PM
Has to get a new deal. First name on the team sheet.

Since452
22-04-2023, 05:48 PM
He was our best player today.

hibee_girl
22-04-2023, 06:03 PM
Give him whatever he wants to stay.

worcesterhibby
22-04-2023, 06:05 PM
Love him. If we dont give him a new contract it will be an utter debacle

LewysGot2
22-04-2023, 06:39 PM
He was our best player today.

He embodies the spirit, commitment and hard work every Hibs player should seek to be. He is Mr Hibs. Excellent again today. Defies Father Time...

Thank you, thank you, thank you Lewy

Onceinawhile
22-04-2023, 06:39 PM
Has he ever scored a bad goal?

The one against ict, one at ibrox and today were all peaches.

dp00
22-04-2023, 06:41 PM

I thought that earlier , think all of not vast majority of his goals have been crackers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenlex
22-04-2023, 06:43 PM
“I am still as awkward as ever celebrating. I ended up just running to Paul and I think I punched him in the face by accident." 🗣
Lewis Stevenson.

****ing Legend.

Hibs90
22-04-2023, 07:48 PM
Another season, another new contender for the left back spot and he's seen them off again.

Give the man the lifetime contract ffs.

Northernhibee
22-04-2023, 07:56 PM
Another season, another new contender for the left back spot and he's seen them off again.

Give the man the lifetime contract ffs.
I also wonder if his doubters will ever appreciate how good a player he is for us.

Even at 35, he’s one of the fittest players in the league.

lyonhibs
22-04-2023, 07:58 PM
It must be the easiest win in the world to give him a contract extension. Get it sorted Hibs

Svengali
22-04-2023, 09:16 PM
Won’t realise his worth to us until he’s no longer with us.

Class today

This

Svengali
22-04-2023, 09:18 PM
I also wonder if his doubters will ever appreciate how good a player he is for us.

I can’t believe people in our support doubt him. It’s actually bizarre. He’s been a cracking player for Hibs

Eyrie
22-04-2023, 09:45 PM

Too many people focus on his age and not his performances.

It's the latter that matters so he has to get a new deal. If Cabraja stays, then put MacIntyre out on loan for a year.

cameronw-hfc
22-04-2023, 09:47 PM

Fastest way to lose any credibility and show they truly have 0 clue about football is to admit being a Lewis doubter.

It's mainly kids on twitter trying to be edgy and Hibs Facebook Da's

B.H.F.C
22-04-2023, 10:00 PM
Too many people focus on his age and not his performances.

It's the latter that matters so he has to get a new deal. If Cabraja stays, then put MacIntyre out on loan for a year.

My issue with giving Lewis a new deal is Cabraja having another two years on his deal.

I think Lewis has been good the last couple of weeks but over the course of the season he’s been as average as the rest of them.

We’ve got so many average players contracted who will be difficult to move on, that moving on out of contract players might be the only real scope we have to make space in the squad to try an improve it.

I appreciate what Lewis is to the club and I wouldn’t exactly be raging if we gave him a new deal but I think we need to be looking at improving every position we can.

AgentDaleCooper
22-04-2023, 11:33 PM
we see what he has to offer on the pitch, but i can only imagine what an example he sets on the training ground every day. Surely, even if a day comes where he's genuinely not offering much during games, this alone would merit whatever it takes to keep him. I really hope he becomes a coach eventually.

Jones28
23-04-2023, 08:13 AM

The goal he scored against rangers at Easter road was a deflection I think.

Eyrie
23-04-2023, 09:14 AM
My issue with giving Lewis a new deal is Cabraja having another two years on his deal.

I think Lewis has been good the last couple of weeks but over the course of the season he’s been as average as the rest of them.

We’ve got so many average players contracted who will be difficult to move on, that moving on out of contract players might be the only real scope we have to make space in the squad to try an improve it.

I appreciate what Lewis is to the club and I wouldn’t exactly be raging if we gave him a new deal but I think we need to be looking at improving every position we can.

Easily solved. Stevenson can get a one year deal whilst MacIntyre is on loan and it's up to Cabraja to win the starting LB spot.

Northernhibee
23-04-2023, 09:19 AM

We should be looking to be as strong in every position as we can be. Cabraja is OK but not on Lewie’s level. I also wouldn’t be shocked if we got another two or three years out of Lewis, he’s fit as a fiddle.

If another club want Cabraja, we shouldn’t stand in their way.

The Modfather
23-04-2023, 09:37 AM

Agree with this, I think if it wasn’t Stevenson and a random player out of contract, based on the overall season, more would look to move him on and better use his wage elsewhere (midfield) IMO.

Think most would move Cabraja on before Stevenson if possible, I certainly would, but we’re at a point where we still need a mass clear out and not sure keeping two inconsistent left backs helps the rebuild when one is out of contract anyway.

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 09:56 AM
Easily solved. Stevenson can get a one year deal whilst MacIntyre is on loan and it's up to Cabraja to win the starting LB spot.

I think my point is that it leaves us with the same options as we had this year. We’re not going to improve if we just stick with the same options. It’s similar to the long-standing midfield issue for me where we have a whole bunch of fairly average players contracted and as a result we keep seeing the same thing.

If it was the other way about and Cabraja was out of contract and Stevenson wasn’t, I’d be saying the same thing (just the other way around).

Over the course of the season I don’t think we’ve been strong in that position. They’ve shared the responsibilities and I don’t think one has been significantly better than the other. Had Stevenson played the whole season I don’t think we’d be better off for it.

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 10:01 AM
We should be looking to be as strong in every position as we can be. Cabraja is OK but not on Lewie’s level. I also wouldn’t be shocked if we got another two or three years out of Lewis, he’s fit as a fiddle.

If another club want Cabraja, we shouldn’t stand in their way.

Re the last part, if we could move Cabraja on and give Stevenson another year I think that would make sense. But it’s an ‘if’ with his contract situation. We’ve already seen us try to move players on, JDH and Henderson, been unable to do it then end up having to rely on them. I just don’t really want us to end up in a position next year where we have two, what I see, as fairly comparable options as I think we need to improve the position based on what we’ve got from them this year.

.Sean.
23-04-2023, 12:24 PM

This. He’s been as good as he ever has been this year, he seems to be one of these rare outfield players who gets better with age.

He made his debut when I was 15 and I’ll be 33 come the summer! Going to be a very sad day when he’s no longer in a player capacity at the club 😢

Is It On....
23-04-2023, 12:49 PM
Re the last part, if we could move Cabraja on and give Stevenson another year I think that would make sense. But it’s an ‘if’ with his contract situation. We’ve already seen us try to move players on, JDH and Henderson, been unable to do it then end up having to rely on them. I just don’t really want us to end up in a position next year where we have two, what I see, as fairly comparable options as I think we need to improve the position based on what we’ve got from them this year.

But JDH could be potentially be an EPL player according to our manager

Jim Herriot
23-04-2023, 06:13 PM
For info, Lewie's goals so far. He was (relatively) on fire in 14-15.

10-11 . 1 . Hibs 2-0 Inverness CT 26/2/11
13-14 . 1 . Hibs 3-0 Kilmarnock 29/12/13
14-15 . 3 . Hibs 5-0 Cowdenbeath 17/1/15
. . . . . . Rangers 0-2 Hibs 13/2/15
. . . . . . Hibs 4-0 Berwick 8/3/15
15-16 . 1 . Hibs 3-0 Dundee Utd 4/11/15
16-17 . 1 . Bonnyrigg 1-8 Hibs 21/1/17
17-18 . 1 . Hibs 1-2 Rangers 13/12/17
18-19 . 1 . NSÍ Runavík 4-6 Hibs 19/7/18
22-23 . 1 . St Johnstone 1-1 Hibs 22/4/23

.Sean.
23-04-2023, 09:58 PM
For info, Lewie's goals so far. He was (relatively) on fire in 14-15.

10-11 . 1 . Hibs 2-0 Inverness CT 26/2/11
13-14 . 1 . Hibs 3-0 Kilmarnock 29/12/13
14-15 . 3 . Hibs 5-0 Cowdenbeath 17/1/15
. . . . . . Rangers 0-2 Hibs 13/2/15
. . . . . . Hibs 4-0 Berwick 8/3/15
15-16 . 1 . Hibs 3-0 Dundee Utd 4/11/15
16-17 . 1 . Bonnyrigg 1-8 Hibs 21/1/17
17-18 . 1 . Hibs 1-2 Rangers 13/12/17
18-19 . 1 . NSÍ Runavík 4-6 Hibs 19/7/18
22-23 . 1 . St Johnstone 1-1 Hibs 22/4/23

I was at ibrox the night he scored but for the life of me I can’t remember that second game he scored in against them one bit

B.H.F.C
23-04-2023, 10:03 PM
I was at ibrox the night he scored but for the life of me I can’t remember that second game he scored in against them one bit

Put us 1-0 up. Just before Christmas, first season back up.

We absolutely battered them, properly battered them, but somehow managed to lose the game. Another one of those games against The Rangers where you just happened to get an unfortunate decision go against you when one of their centre halves nearly caught the ball. No penalty.

flash
24-04-2023, 09:29 AM
Put us 1-0 up. Just before Christmas, first season back up.

We absolutely battered them, properly battered them, but somehow managed to lose the game. Another one of those games against The Rangers where you just happened to get an unfortunate decision go against you when one of their centre halves nearly caught the ball. No penalty.

David Bates playing basketball if I remember correctly.

Shrekko
24-04-2023, 10:35 AM
Fastest way to lose any credibility and show they truly have 0 clue about football is to admit being a Lewis doubter.

It's mainly kids on twitter trying to be edgy and Hibs Facebook Da's

Usually the said kids and FB Da's cannot mention Lewis without mentioning Paul Hanlon either.

I would love to sit next to those who doubt him and have them point out to me during a game exactly where he is falling short. At this level he is still a very solid, reliable and GOOD performer.

How people can take for granted his level of performance or even denigrate it is actually quite sad. I think it is now a small minority however.

Donegal Hibby
26-04-2023, 10:18 AM
Good article on why it makes sense for Lewis Stevenson to get another contract 😃
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/why-a-new-hibs-deal-for-lewis-stevenson-makes-sense-for-club-player-and-emerging-talent-4118616

Oscar T Grouch
26-04-2023, 10:36 AM
Good article on why it makes sense for Lewis Stevenson to get another contract 😃
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/why-a-new-hibs-deal-for-lewis-stevenson-makes-sense-for-club-player-and-emerging-talent-4118616

Was just about to post that. 18 seasons and only 20 games missed through injury. I love him even more after reading that and I didn't think that was possible!

Donegal Hibby
26-04-2023, 10:40 AM
Was just about to post that. 18 seasons and only 20 games missed through injury. I love him even more after reading that and I didn't think that was possible!
Guys been a unbelievable player for us . Well worthy of another contract .A absolute legend :not worth

Smartie
26-04-2023, 11:20 AM
He's someone who doesn't get enough credit for his technical ability. The first touch and then the finish on Saturday were something else and you could imagine the praise that would be given to a more heralded player for something similar.

New contract asap please.

HibbyAndy
26-04-2023, 12:21 PM

WOW ! Is that right ? That's an unbelievable stat !

Oscar T Grouch
26-04-2023, 02:42 PM
WOW ! Is that right ? That's an unbelievable stat !

I actually thought that this couldn't be right so I decided to go through his career and see :nerd:. I was right, the 20 games figure is wrong, he has missed just 16 games due to injury!
He started playing in the 05/06 season, his first missed game didn't come until 12/13 season when he missed 2 games due to a toe injury!
He then went another 5 years without missing a game through injury, his next being a knee knock that kept him out for 3 games in the 18/19 season.
The following year he missed 1 game with an ankle knock.
The following season (20/21) he missed 5 games again due to a couple of ankle knocks (3 games then 2 games).
He was clear the next season (21/22) and this season at the start he missed 5 games with a hammy problem.

Okay there were seasons where he didn't play much and could have been injured when not in the squad as I don't have those stats but that is bloody impressive going through an 18 year spell at Hibs missing just 16 games through injury. He's a machine!!!

AgentDaleCooper
26-04-2023, 03:04 PM
It's a tragedy we don't have a song for him - no one deserves one more than lewis

Shrekko
26-04-2023, 04:21 PM
It's a tragedy we don't have a song for him - no one deserves one more than lewis

He’s had 2 songs.

WeeRussell
26-04-2023, 05:08 PM
He’s had 2 songs.

Yin for each cup.

Smartie
26-04-2023, 05:29 PM

Tragedy,

When you're here so long but you've got no songs,

It's tragedy,

When you need some verse but they can't be arsed,

It's hard to bear,

Just one year of contract, you're going nowhere...

sleeping giant
26-04-2023, 05:30 PM

What a guy. Professionalism personified.

HibbyAndy
26-04-2023, 05:59 PM
Tragedy,

When you're here so long but you've got no songs,

It's tragedy,

When you need some verse but they can't be arsed,

It's hard to bear,

Just one year of contract, you're going nowhere...

:greengrin:thumbsup::top marks

LewysGot2
27-04-2023, 05:31 AM

He’s got more than one? :confused: