PDA

View Full Version : East Mains - Farm up for sale

Up-the-slope
06-04-2023, 04:32 PM
https://www.onthemarket.com/details/13060033/

Are we looking for more land or buildings?

Up-the-slope
07-04-2023, 07:00 AM
Were there not plans a while ago for a full size indoor pitch as main way to upgrade 1st team facilities? IIRC one of reasons we got permission for original 1/2 astro barn and reason we chose EM originally was the existing buildings meaning planning was much easier. Might this be a case of once chance to have the extra buildings that could make full indoor pitch possible? (I realise spending on more infrastructure right now would make some apoplectic)

Also the housing in Tranent has spread another 2 fields towards EM since we bought it and only a matter of time before Tranent and Ormiston are joined with housing so land values will continue to climb and become more scare.

Jones28
07-04-2023, 07:48 AM
It would be a good investment for the club to buy it and rent the farmland out. That way if EM was ever to be expanded they would have the land to do so.

Up-the-slope
07-04-2023, 08:51 AM
It would be a good investment for the club to buy it and rent the farmland out. That way if EM was ever to be expanded they would have the land to do so.
Maybe if Gordon family would dilute their shareholding another investor could buy this and gain share capital - that way club get benefit and doesnt hit current playing budget investment - Andy Murray must be short of something to spend on? (some may get planning permission for housing in future so could be decent medium term investment)

while EM has transformed things on training side I think (I live locally) the wind / snow / rain (or all 3 together :greengrin) often has detrimental effect when trying to work on specific tactics / formations etc that an ER sized playing surface indoor would allow - also on dark winter nights would give more attraction when selling to parents of the top youth players to start on the Hibs conveyor belt (ive also heard that the lack of facilities for parents who take youngsters long distances to train at EM has been negative - sounds like a 'parents lounge' type affair is something that could reap dividends for not a massive investment)

stuart-farquhar
07-04-2023, 08:57 AM
Maybe if Gordon family would dilute their shareholding another investor could buy this and gain share capital - that way club get benefit and doesnt hit current playing budget investment - Andy Murray must be short of something to spend on? (some may get planning permission for housing in future so could be decent medium term investment)

while EM has transformed things on training side I think (I live locally) the wind / snow / rain (or all 3 together :greengrin) often has detrimental effect when trying to work on specific tactics / formations etc that an ER sized playing surface indoor would allow - also on dark winter nights would give more attraction when selling to parents of the top youth players to start on the Hibs conveyor belt (ive also heard that the lack of facilities for parents who take youngsters long distances to train at EM has been negative - sounds like a 'parents lounge' type affair is something that could reap dividends for not a massive investment)

The wind seems incessant there. It's a windy place that was particularly windy one day.

Up-the-slope
07-04-2023, 09:14 AM
The wind seems incessant there. It's a windy place that was particularly windy one day.

:agree: there was a bit of tree / hedge planting that was supposed to help, but its very flat (which is why it was easier for pitches) and open to the prevailing Westerly wind.

fine generally but when you are playing 2 games a week and training time limited a couple of windy days must really affect what detailed work on 'the grass' that can be done.

Watching games there can be enough of a challenge some days

Pretty Boy
07-04-2023, 09:44 AM
Were there not plans a while ago for a full size indoor pitch as main way to upgrade 1st team facilities? IIRC one of reasons we got permission for original 1/2 astro barn and reason we chose EM originally was the existing buildings meaning planning was much easier. Might this be a case of once chance to have the extra buildings that could make full indoor pitch possible? (I realise spending on more infrastructure right now would make some apoplectic)

Also the housing in Tranent has spread another 2 fields towards EM since we bought it and only a matter of time before Tranent and Ormiston are joined with housing so land values will continue to climb and become more scare.

I don't think it's any great secret that East Mains isn't really fit for purpose in that it doesn't have the capacity for what the club want it to be. It's great as a 1st team training base and can also handle the development side plus a few age group sides but Hibs ultimately want it to be a home for the entire club and as it stands that isn't possible. One full size all weather pitch just isn't enough.

I think the issue is one of cost at the moment. I was told a figure of approx £400-500K to add another outdoor all weather pitch so iId imagine you can add a decent chunk more if it was to be indoor. I think we also looked at one of those big heated domes at one point, not sure if that was to cover a grass pitch or an all weather one though.

JimBHibees
07-04-2023, 09:45 AM
Assuming the indoor full size pitch is still in the back burner

Carheenlea
07-04-2023, 04:14 PM
I’d wager that if Tom Farmer was still involved this land/farm sale would have been of interest to him.

Up-the-slope
07-04-2023, 07:30 PM
I’d wager that if Tom Farmer was still involved this land/farm sale would have been of interest to him.

The other issue is currently im not aware of any friction between club and current owners (but then I don't know much :greengrin) and there is also the risk that a new owner might not be such a good neighbour

J-C
08-04-2023, 04:36 AM
I don'nt know who owns the farm but the guy that owns most of the land around Millerhill, Robin Traquair has just recently sold it all for housing. I wonder if he maybe owns that too.

Hibby70
08-04-2023, 12:31 PM
there is also the risk that a new owner might not be such a good neighbour

Do you mean he won't throw the ball back if it goes over the fence?

Up-the-slope
08-04-2023, 02:48 PM
Do you mean he won't throw the ball back if it goes over the fence?

:faf: sorry but that made me laugh more than it should have ...:greengrin

Have visions of an angry farmer with a pitch fork busting baws

Hibby70
08-04-2023, 03:04 PM
If I win the lottery tonight I might buy it.

I'll then put an tennis umpires chair in the back garden and charge people who want to boo them during training.

gbhibby
08-04-2023, 08:38 PM
Heard that another team are looking for land for their own training facility as they are only renting theirs.😁

NAE NOOKIE
08-04-2023, 09:01 PM
I was always under the impression that the land area Hibs owned at EM was bigger than what the club actually use .... is that wrong then?

Kato
08-04-2023, 09:27 PM
I was always under the impression that the land area Hibs owned at EM was bigger than what the club actually use .... is that wrong then?That's what was said at an AGM not too long ago, iirc. We only use a 3rd of the land we own.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
08-04-2023, 10:07 PM
build a 5 star hotel

with windows and everything

Up-the-slope
09-04-2023, 07:05 AM
Yes there is land not used. As I mentioned previously in thread planning is issue for more buildings - Farmers can pretty much chuck up 'agricultural' buildings / windmills of certain height etc without planning where as hotels / houses etc have no chance until / unless land gets re zoned for such... which is why we have style of buildings we do... and football pitches are not a great diversion from arable crops (plus there is a fair bit of life sciences in surrounding area)

but as others have mentioned plenty farm land has and is being re-zoned on boundaries of existing cities and towns as councils have a legal responsibility to identify land for x-amount of house building in each 'Local Development Plan'

(https://www.gov.scot/policies/planning-architecture/development-plans/ ) link in case your a geek / dont have a life / want to know how you can comment on your local areas one.

Up-the-slope
09-04-2023, 07:10 AM
If I win the lottery tonight I might buy it.

I'll then put an tennis umpires chair in the back garden and charge people who want to boo them during training.

would it not be better to spread ripe manure near the boundary and set up speakers blasting out the sounds of Neanderthals grunting and scoffing grub..... to acclimatise players to trips across the city :dunno:

CapitalGreen
09-04-2023, 09:03 AM
It’s being sold in 2 lots. The farmland for £2.5m and the offices/barns to the right of the HTC entrance gate for £200k. The 2nd lot for £200k seems a no brainer if we are needing extra space for facilities.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/133317215#/media?channel=RES_BUY&id=media8&ref=photoCollage

Up-the-slope
15-04-2023, 08:13 AM
It’s being sold in 2 lots. The farmland for £2.5m and the offices/barns to the right of the HTC entrance gate for £200k. The 2nd lot for £200k seems a no brainer if we are needing extra space for facilities.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/133317215#/media?channel=RES_BUY&id=media8&ref=photoCollage

Yes it is either as a whole or 2 lots.. but its £2.5 for both or £2.3 for main multiple farm buildings, 2 bed cottage & land ....(currently let to life sciences company until spring next year)
Maybe manager to stay in cottage and reduce travel to work and have more time to work on tactics :greengrin

£200k for small separate shed & paddock (that currently has some portakabins as well) used by one of the live sciences companies - animal research

JimBHibees
15-04-2023, 08:22 AM
What impact would this have for the club?

Seems to have gone very quiet on an indoor full size pitch. Would think that would be of huge benefit to the team.

Up-the-slope
15-04-2023, 08:36 AM
What impact would this have for the club?

Seems to have gone very quiet on an indoor full size pitch. Would think that would be of huge benefit to the team.

:agree: mentioned many times... recently we look like we have only been training on the indoor '7 a side'.... like there is no final 1/3 rd :wink:

JimBHibees
15-04-2023, 08:38 AM
:agree: mentioned many times... recently we look like we have only been training on the indoor '7 a side'.... like there is no final 1/3 rd :wink:

You may have a point. :greengrin

That indoor barn isn't really fit for purpose very small.