PDA

View Full Version : Josh Campbell most improved player in the Scottish premier

Donegal Hibby
05-04-2023, 01:58 PM
Seen this article on josh Campbell being the most improved player in the Scottish premier and I wouldn't disagree with it in fairness. Compared to last season the difference in him has been remarkably to say the least, I actually put it mostly down to LJ playing him higher up the pitch this season.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/why-josh-campbell-is-the-most-improved-player-in-this-seasons-scottish-premiership-4092144

SteveHFC
05-04-2023, 01:59 PM
Wanted him out last summer but he’s proved me wrong.

One of our best players this season.

Donegal Hibby
05-04-2023, 02:07 PM
Wanted him out last summer but he’s proved me wrong.

One of our best players this season.
I was also wanting him out as well , thought last season he was poor and never going to make it at Hibs , think he's proved a lot of us wrong :greengrin

Unseen work
05-04-2023, 02:09 PM
He’s been very good this season and is one of the main men.

Even against Celtic when we were down to 10 men, some of his hold up play was brilliant.

Think alot of championship clubs will be in for him in the summer. He suits that league to a tee.

SteveHFC
05-04-2023, 02:28 PM
I was also wanting him out as well , thought last season he was poor and never going to make it at Hibs , think he's proved a lot of us wrong :greengrin

I’m away to delete any negative posts of Josh Campbell. :greengrin

Brightside
05-04-2023, 03:06 PM
Seen this article on josh Campbell being the most improved player in the Scottish premier and I wouldn't disagree with it in fairness. Compared to last season the difference in him has been remarkably to say the least, I actually put it mostly down to LJ playing him higher up the pitch this season.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/why-josh-campbell-is-the-most-improved-player-in-this-seasons-scottish-premiership-4092144

I struggle with a hearts fan being the Hibs reporter on the evening news.

RossScott1991
05-04-2023, 03:06 PM
Decent player with a good habit of popping up with a decent amount of goals.

Feel he’d be a lot better with a better more technical midfield around him as I feel his weaknesses are exposed more when he plays with the guys he started with on Saturday and he struggles to have any impact.

I do feel Hibs is as big a club he will ever play for though and will be the next Hanlon and Stevenson. Not sure I rate him quite as highly as others do in terms of his ceiling and level he can reach.

Smartie
05-04-2023, 03:09 PM
I struggle with a hearts fan being the Hibs reporter on the evening news.

I struggle with the fact that he tends to be more reasonable about us than most of our own supporters.

Personally I have no problem with Fowler whatsoever.

Green Man
05-04-2023, 03:12 PM
I struggle with the fact that he tends to be more reasonable about us than most of our own supporters.

I agree, Fowler doesn’t hide his allegiance and is even handed about both Hibs and Hearts, giving both credit and criticism where they’re due.

Since452
05-04-2023, 03:12 PM
Becoming Pat McGinlayesque. Cropping up with important goals.

Highwayman
05-04-2023, 03:16 PM
Campbell will get my vote for POTY.

Pretty Boy
05-04-2023, 04:52 PM

Mine too.

It's not even close either.

Only other real contenders would be Newell who has just missed a chunk of games injured or Youan but he didn't really hit his stride until after the WC.

Campbell has been consistently good all year and his bad games are a real anomaly.

bingo70
05-04-2023, 04:56 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-midfielder-linked-with-serie-a-switch-as-italians-weigh-up-summer-move-for-josh-doig-4094336

Bologna considering making a move for Campbell in the summer.

wookie70
05-04-2023, 04:57 PM

Mine too. Never leaves anything on the pitch. Makes the best use of the attributes he has and always looking to improve. Heart of a lion and a much better player than given credit for by most. He reminds me a bit of Lewis

Brightside
05-04-2023, 04:59 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-midfielder-linked-with-serie-a-switch-as-italians-weigh-up-summer-move-for-josh-doig-4094336

Bologna considering making a move for Campbell in the summer.

That sounds like a setup. £3m and away probably.....

MWHIBBIES
05-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Massive improvement. Key player now.

He's definitely got to keep working, though. Still games totally passing him by, like Saturday.

bingo70
05-04-2023, 05:14 PM
That sounds like a setup. £3m and away probably.....

You think?

It’s more a report of a report so I’m sceptical how much truth there is in it.

FWIW although Campbell has definitely gone a long way to proving me wrong, im not as big a fan as others on this thread. I think he can be very effective but the key thing for him is how he’s asked to play. I don’t mean this to sound as disrespectful as it maybe does but he’s not someone that I think is particularly good on the ball, I don’t see too much creativity or vision from him. I think what he does have is a hell of an engine and outstanding work rate, when that’s used in an attacking sense it can really disrupt teams and it allows attacking players to get on the ball in attacking areas. I think somewhere like Italy where they could put him on top of a sitting midfielder who’s used to getting more time on the ball he could be a revelation there.

I think LJ deserves a lot of credit as I think he’s recognised the above as well and it’s played to JC’s strengths.

JimBHibees
05-04-2023, 05:44 PM

Agree think he is fair which is all you can ask for

gaz1875
05-04-2023, 06:53 PM
You think?

FWIW although Campbell has definitely gone a long way to proving me wrong, im not as big a fan as others on this thread. I think he can be very effective but the key thing for him is how he’s asked to play. I don’t mean this to sound as disrespectful as it maybe does but he’s not someone that I think is particularly good on the ball, I don’t see too much creativity or vision from him. I think what he does have is a hell of an engine and outstanding work rate, when that’s used in an attacking sense it can really disrupt teams and it allows attacking players to get on the ball in attacking areas. I think somewhere like Italy where they could put him on top of a sitting midfielder who’s used to getting more time on the ball he could be a revelation there.

I think LJ deserves a lot of credit as I think he’s recognised the above as well and it’s played to JC’s strengths.

I'm with you, he can play well but not consistent enough. He has improved thankfully, and on a good day looks like a great prospect.

B.H.F.C
05-04-2023, 07:08 PM
I'm with you, he can play well but not consistent enough. He has improved thankfully, and on a good day looks like a great prospect.

Agree with this. Think, from where he was last season, he’s done very well.

Still don’t think he influences enough games though. Has a good number of goals but they’ve come over about 5 or 6 games. To be fair to him, you’re looking at the midfield on Saturday and looking at him to be your main source of creativity and I still don’t really think that’s his game even though he’s our most attacking midfielder.

Since90+2
05-04-2023, 07:25 PM
I think he's a decent player and he's definitely improved.

Saying that, the fact he's now seen as one of our most important and best players highlights where we are IMO.

He's got a good engine, great attitude and all round he's not bad, but I never watch a game and come away thinking what a player he is, the way I did with our best players of recent years like Griffiths, SJM, Boyle and Allan.

MWHIBBIES
05-04-2023, 07:48 PM

Saying that, the fact he's now seen as one of our most important and best players highlights where we are IMO.

He's got a good engine, great attitude and all round he's not bad, but I never watch a game and come away thinking what a player he is, the way I did with our best players of recent years like Griffiths, SJM, Boyle and Allan.

That's why we have Boyle, Nisbet and Youan. Those guys are actually our best players.

Smartie
05-04-2023, 08:05 PM
That's why we have Boyle, Nisbet and Youan. Those guys are actually our best players.

:agree:

John O'Neil and Ulrik Laursen didn't have the star quality of Sauzee or Lately but they were still excellent players in a good team.

Campbell has really kicked on, is worthy of his regular place and fully merits playing alongside the aforementioned best players.

Since90+2
05-04-2023, 08:09 PM
:agree:

John O'Neil and Ulrik Laursen didn't have the star quality of Sauzee or Lately but they were still excellent players in a good team.

Campbell has really kicked on, is worthy of his regular place and fully merits playing alongside the aforementioned best players.

I think that reinforces my point. O'Neill and Laursen would win our player of the year this year when they played with us at a canter.

Decent player Campbell is and you can't fault his effort, but the fact he's in line for our POY does show what standard we have in the side at the moment IMO.

WeeRussell
05-04-2023, 11:25 PM
The stick Henderson gets this season reminds me a lot of what Campbell was on the end of not so long ago.

neil7908
06-04-2023, 07:47 AM
Being linked in the BBC gossip section this morning with Bologna.

BILLYHIBS
06-04-2023, 07:48 AM
I remember the young Josh Campbell being a silky midfield player almost in the mould of say a Kevin Thomson

He then went out on loan and returned a busy player doing a lot of the hard graft that you did not always notice a real water carrier but even better when he started to chip in with the all important goals

My idea of POTY would be a Kevin Nisbet Ellie Youan or Martin Boyle but based on this season alone to date Josh Campbell has got to be the winner by a country mile

Well done Josh

The thing I really like is the fact that he is a Hibby one of our own

RossScott1991
06-04-2023, 07:54 AM

Couldn’t agree more. We’ve been starved of any real good midfielders since McGinn that I think there’s abit of romance in the way people look at Campbell.

If there’s ever decent money on the table for him I’d take it in a heartbeat. We’ve had a poor midfield for some time, he’s the standout because unlike the others he chips in with the odd goal. Personally don’t think he will ever be near level of Brown Thomson McGinn etc.

MWHIBBIES
06-04-2023, 09:47 AM
I remember the young Josh Campbell being a silky midfield player almost in the mould of say a Kevin Thomson

He then went out on loan and returned a busy player doing a lot of the hard graft that you did not always notice a real water carrier but even better when he started to chip in with the all important goals

My idea of POTY would be a Kevin Nisbet Ellie Youan or Martin Boyle but based on this season alone to date Josh Campbell has got to be the winner by a country mile

Well done Josh

The thing I really like is the fact that he is a Hibby one of our own

Definitely not by a mile. Youan certainly better and Newell been just as good imo. If Fish keeps his form up he'd be right in there too.

JeMeSouviens
06-04-2023, 10:22 AM
Being linked in the BBC gossip section this morning with Bologna.

I just can't get used to this Scottish players to Italy trend. Don't know why, it just seems all wrong!

BILLYHIBS
06-04-2023, 10:30 AM
Definitely not by a mile. Youan certainly better and Newell been just as good imo. If Fish keeps his form up he'd be right in there too.

Na

Youan too inconsistent hot and cold I don’t think even he knows what he is going to do next either

Youan only started playing after the WC

Serious potential though still to be convinced

Newell never thought I would be looking forward to him returning to our team so much on Sunday

Fish jury still out imho

Let the voters decide

May the best man win

SickBoy32
06-04-2023, 10:38 AM
Na

Youan too inconsistent hot and cold I don’t think even he knows what he is going to do next either

Newell never thought I would be looking forward to him returning to our team so much on Sunday

Fish jury still out imho

Let the voters decide

May the best man win

Agree with the above (other than the line about Newell :greengrin )

JC for POTY is a nap - well deserved for his performances and goals this season

BILLYHIBS
06-04-2023, 10:39 AM
Agree with the above (other than the line about Newell :greengrin )

JC for POTY is a nap - well deserved for his performances and goals this season

👍

wookie70
06-04-2023, 11:03 AM
The stick Henderson gets this season reminds me a lot of what Campbell was on the end of not so long ago. I can't recall Campbell ever taking much flak on his lack of effort and not doing his bit defensively. Both certainly took pelters but for different reasons imo. I doubt many are convinced of Henderson yet and I suspect that won't change. If he massively upped his work rate and defended properly he would start to change my mind but it doesn't seem in his make up.

Brightside
06-04-2023, 11:26 AM
You think?

I think anything we put out via Patrick is well planned. This matches our working practice as a club now.

On the player I agree with pretty much all you have said. His energy will get him everywhere in the game. and for me he has more impact over the whole season than any other player we have. The rest have moments of good stuff, JC is very consistent.

WeeRussell
06-04-2023, 11:36 AM
I can't recall Campbell ever taking much flak on his lack of effort and not doing his bit defensively. Both certainly took pelters but for different reasons imo. I doubt many are convinced of Henderson yet and I suspect that won't change. If he massively upped his work rate and defended properly he would start to change my mind but it doesn't seem in his make up.

Yeah you’re maybe right - different reasons but similar levels.

My point being that Campbell perhaps is a fair lesson in how we can be premature in writing players off. And with it being similar, maybe there’s hope for Henderson yet (incidentally better technically than Campbell)

superfurryhibby
06-04-2023, 12:17 PM
Good discussion on Campbell.

Worth noting that he’s nearly 23 and it’s definitely taken until this season before he’s looked like a first team player. With that in mind we should still be giving the likes of Tavares and Henderson a chance, both have talent.

I would love to see Campbell with a more creative midfielder ( or two) playing alongside him. He has the energy to get behind defences with well timed runs and is a goal threat, if he gets the supply.

Talk of Italian football seems a bit odd. For me he doesn’t have the technique to play in a top league.

MWHIBBIES
06-04-2023, 12:32 PM
Na

Fish jury still out imho

Let the voters decide

May the best man win

Campbell hasn't been anymore consistent than Youan.

Up-the-slope
06-04-2023, 12:40 PM
don't want him going anywhere and new lengthy contract means Club are in the driving seat... BUT what figure can our club not turn down should it come to that

Brightside
06-04-2023, 12:44 PM

I'd say at least 70% of fans would disagree with you. Youann has put in some great games post the World Cup. There was plenty slatting him before that.

BILLYHIBS
06-04-2023, 12:51 PM

At least you know what you are going to get with Campbell a hard shift

As I said Youan only really started playing after the WC

Never seen Youan putting in a hard shift yet

Campbell gets my vote and wins in a landslide 😀

MWHIBBIES
06-04-2023, 12:53 PM
I'd say at least 70% of fans would disagree with you. Youann has put in some great games post the World Cup. There was plenty slatting him before that.

I agree. He was poor. So was Campbell after a decent start.

Trinity Hibee
06-04-2023, 01:04 PM
I would think Campbell is currently the front runner for POTY. Nisbet has been very good but obviously injury probably rules him out. Youan potentially the only other but I think I’d vote campbell.

Brightside
06-04-2023, 01:44 PM
I would think Campbell is currently the front runner for POTY. Nisbet has been very good but obviously injury probably rules him out. Youan potentially the only other but I think I’d vote campbell.

Will it not be the case that Campbell and Youan will both be up for YPOTY? I heard Josh won that at the Hibs club. Which is daft when you consider the age of him.

Trinity Hibee
06-04-2023, 02:24 PM
Will it not be the case that Campbell and Youan will both be up for YPOTY? I heard Josh won that at the Hibs club. Which is daft when you consider the age of him.

Quite possibly. So one wins YPOTY and the other POTY

Hibiza
06-04-2023, 02:47 PM
Well done Josh.