PDA

View Full Version : Hibs 8 Killie 1

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-04-2023, 11:47 AM
40 years ago today.😲

Glory Lurker
02-04-2023, 11:48 AM
Wasn't there but remember the flood of updates on Sportsound.

Cat Stanton
02-04-2023, 11:56 AM
40 years ago today.😲

In front of 4,000 fans... A bit of a freak result by a not very good team in a not very good season. Finished 7th out of 10.

It was so long ago that... Dundee Utd won the league that year!

whiskyhibby
02-04-2023, 12:04 PM
40 years ago today.😲

I was there on the day, last ever match I attended with my dad

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-04-2023, 12:07 PM
In front of 4,000 fans... A bit of a freak result by a not very good team in a not very good season. Finished 7th out of 10.

It was so long ago that... Dundee Utd won the league that year!

IIRC it was a Hibs Kids game, that'll be the reason I was in the south stand.

Ronniekirk
02-04-2023, 12:08 PM
I decided not to go and went a drive up the trossachs Had difficulty getting radio in car working When I eventually heard result was gutted I hadn’t gone

Bridge hibs
02-04-2023, 12:10 PM
I was on the East terrace that day, cant remember too much about it other than I was a lot younger, had long straggly hair and I was skinny 😵

He's here!
02-04-2023, 12:14 PM
Freakish but welcome result in an especially grim era for the club. I remember Graham Harvey got one of the goals (possibly on his debut) and was being touted for better things than he went on to achieve.

Hiber-nation
02-04-2023, 12:20 PM
https://fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=21471

I was there. Pat McCurdy's only goal for Hibs.

Liberal Hibby
02-04-2023, 12:25 PM
I was there - think it was 1-1 at half time? Crazy game.

McSwanky
02-04-2023, 12:27 PM
I was also there. Have a recollection of it being 2-1 at half time and there was a tannoy announcement for someone to go home, definitely missed the good bit!

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

eastterrace
02-04-2023, 12:28 PM
Wasn’t at this game but I remember walking at the west end and asking a hibs fan what was the score and he told me with the biggest smile on his face 8-1 and I couldn’t believe it either.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-04-2023, 12:33 PM
https://fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=21471

I was there. Pat McCurdy's only goal for Hibs.

Jackie Mac scored with a trundler along the deck from about 25 yards out IIRC.

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2023, 01:06 PM
My pal left at half time.

He got home in time to see the results on the teleprinter. In those days, freak scores were always confirmed by the number being repeated in words. So... imagine his puss when it came up Hibs 8 (EIGHT) Kilmarnock 1.

Gmack7
02-04-2023, 01:12 PM
It was a nice birthday for me, I've had a couple of dull yins since

BILLYHIBS
02-04-2023, 01:41 PM
Looked a decent side on paper TBF

Hibs Manager Pat Stanton didn’t have his troubles to seek with no money in the biscuit tin and having to rely on youngsters coming through

Hibs Rough Sneddon Duncan 1 Turnbull Rae 1 McNamara 1 Callachan Rice Irvine 2 Thomson 2 and Harvey

Sub McCurdy 1

Attendance 4065

Pat Stanton’s last appearance for HIBS as a player came as a second half substitute for George Stewart in a 9-2 victory over St Johnstone at ER

wookie70
02-04-2023, 03:42 PM
I was there too. A ray of sunshine in a bleak era

Blaster
02-04-2023, 03:49 PM

Yes it was

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2023, 04:02 PM
Jackie Mac scored with a trundler along the deck from about 25 yards out IIRC.

Yep.

Jackie rarely scored. So when we got the free kick, folk around me were screaming for him to have a go. :greengrin

bringbackbenny
02-04-2023, 04:09 PM

That's what I remember, was in the old south 'wing' stand towards the away end. And I think some Killie fans in the enclosure below but not 100% sure.

Bridge hibs
02-04-2023, 04:12 PM
Wonder how many of the hibs kids from back then have kids who are hibs kids now

Keith_M
02-04-2023, 04:25 PM
That's what I remember, was in the old south 'wing' stand towards the away end. And I think some Killie fans in the enclosure below but not 100% sure.

Segregation in those days was nowhere near as strict as it is now.

Aside from games against the OF and Hearts, the South Enclosure and South Wing Stand were pretty much always a mix of fans.

Scorrie
02-04-2023, 04:26 PM
I was there but still can’t quite believe it to this day!

hibeg
02-04-2023, 04:27 PM
Wasn’t there :sick:
Myself and my mate decided to go down to Blackpool for the weekend
Didn’t find out the score till Sunday, gutted :greengrin

Keith_M
02-04-2023, 04:36 PM

Similar tale from me... I went to practically every game that season but it had to be that weekend my parents decided to have a family weekend in the Borders. :grr:

Baldy Foghorn
02-04-2023, 05:16 PM

It was a Hibs kids game, I still remember being there, as you say, we were in the South Stand

Pretty Boy
02-04-2023, 05:24 PM
Wonder how many of the hibs kids from back then have kids who are hibs kids now

A few of them probably have Grandchildren who are Hibs Kids now!

This is a game I had no knowledge of whatsoever, I genuinely can't ever recall hearing about it.

A crowd of 4065 for a league game seems mad.

CB Hibs 68
02-04-2023, 06:17 PM
This thread is looking like Sean Connery delivered my milk.If the attendance was only 4000 or so there is a disproportionate number on here who were there.Doubt Hibs kid’s existed in them days .I was there though.

pollution
02-04-2023, 06:24 PM
I was at Gosforth races that day and met Kevin Keegan.

AFKA5814_Hibs
02-04-2023, 06:28 PM
This thread is looking like Sean Connery delivered my milk.If the attendance was only 4000 or so there is a disproportionate number on here who were there.Doubt Hibs kid’s existed in them days .I was there though.

Hibs kids was around in 1983. I was a Hibs kid at that time.

DaveF
02-04-2023, 06:43 PM
Hibs kids was around in 1983. I was a Hibs kid at that time.

Yep, those days on the south stand were a real treat.

Stand out memory was Bobby Thomson getting a red card for having a go at the lino in a game against St Johnstone (although you will probably remember that better than me!)

In those days, Hibs used to win the odd Hibs kids game, unlike nowadays where we always seem to blow it.

offshorehibby
02-04-2023, 06:49 PM
I was a regular home and away supporter back then but was up in Oban on holiday that week. I can mind hurtling down the stairs in the pub i was in to get to a phone to phone the Clan Tavern to get the low down from the mates.

Missed the last couple of steps spraining the ankle and nearly breaking my neck.

What a blooming game to miss.

AFKA5814_Hibs
02-04-2023, 06:51 PM
Yep, those days on the south stand were a real treat.

Stand out memory was Bobby Thomson getting a red card for having a go at the lino in a game against St Johnstone (although you will probably remember that better than me!)

In those days, Hibs used to win the odd Hibs kids game, unlike nowadays where we always seem to blow it.

Yep, 4-1 game v St Johnstone. Bobby Thomson pushed over the linesman for flagging him offside. Think he got a 6 month ban for it.

Baldy Foghorn
02-04-2023, 06:52 PM

A couple on thread have already said it was a Hibs kids game

McSwanky
02-04-2023, 07:10 PM
Wonder how many of the hibs kids from back then have kids who are hibs kids nowI was a Hibs Kid back then but my kids are too old to be Hibs Kids now....

McSwanky
02-04-2023, 07:12 PM
This thread is looking like Sean Connery delivered my milk.If the attendance was only 4000 or so there is a disproportionate number on here who were there.Doubt Hibs kid’s existed in them days .I was there though.There's only been about 20 people that have said they were there! And most of them were probably Hibs Kids at the time, it was most definitely a thing. Housed in the old South Stand as a few have said above.

Bridge hibs
02-04-2023, 07:18 PM
There's only been about 20 people that have said they were there! And most of them were probably Hibs Kids at the time, it was most definitely a thing. Housed in the old South Stand as a few have said above.

Heres a thread that Hutchy started, also folk saying it was a hibs kids game

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?329743-Hibs-8-Killie-1

He's here!
02-04-2023, 07:22 PM

This is a game I had no knowledge of whatsoever, I genuinely can't ever recall hearing about it.

Crowds of under 5k weren't uncommon back then. It seemed especially sparse in a stadium which must have still had a capacity of circa 50k when you bear in mind how immense the east terracing was.

Scorrie
02-04-2023, 07:30 PM
I was a Hibs Kid back then but my kids are too old to be Hibs Kids now....

Sadly I was too old to be a Hibs kid at that game but given some of the dross we experienced at that time, Hibs scoring 8 was and is, scarcely believable

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-04-2023, 07:35 PM

I'll take a ban but, that's a ***** post.

DaveF
02-04-2023, 07:39 PM

If it gets me extra points I was at a midweek game (I think Montrose but that's a guess) where the crowd was 3000 and change. No doubt a few others were there too.

It just shows the loyalty and longevity of us Uber fans 😄

CB Hibs 68
02-04-2023, 07:55 PM

Just an observation .Maybe everyone that was at the game is on Hibs.net.Suppose if you were at the game you are hard core given the crowd was only 4000.😋Only saying

Hiber-nation
02-04-2023, 07:59 PM

It was indeed. Totally unnecessary.

Glory Lurker
02-04-2023, 08:08 PM

No need to show off, young guy! :-)

Early 80s attendances were dismal. Rangers and Celtic and, when they finally got round to getting promoted, Hearts games would draw 18,000 up. Aberdeen and United would hit 7-8K and everything else would be somewhere between 4 and 6.

The lower leagues were horrific. You'd get sub 1000 at games in the First Division sometimes and over a thousand was a rarity beneath that.

Cinema attendances were also plunging, so who knows what folk were doing for entertainment then!

Glory Lurker
02-04-2023, 08:10 PM
Crowds of under 5k weren't uncommon back then. It seemed especially sparse in a stadium which must have still had a capacity of circa 50k when you bear in mind how immense the east terracing was.

I think we'd skimmed the top off of it by then? Still a massive capacity compared to the crowds we got most weeks.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-04-2023, 08:13 PM
If it gets me extra points I was at a midweek game (I think Montrose but that's a guess) where the crowd was 3000 and change. No doubt a few others were there too.

It just shows the loyalty and longevity of us Uber fans 😄

It was a time you went to the game, talked about it to your pals, then went to the next game.

He's here!
02-04-2023, 08:29 PM
I think we'd skimmed the top off of it by then? Still a massive capacity compared to the crowds we got most weeks.

The top section was still there for that game. It got demolished the next season IIRC and the roof got put on for 85/86 (Kenny Waugh opting for the cheapest construction possible by having it held up by pillars).

He's here!
02-04-2023, 08:33 PM
No need to show off, young guy! :-)

Early 80s attendances were dismal. Rangers and Celtic and, when they finally got round to getting promoted, Hearts games would draw 18,000 up. Aberdeen and United would hit 7-8K and everything else would be somewhere between 4 and 6.

The lower leagues were horrific. You'd get sub 1000 at games in the First Division sometimes and over a thousand was a rarity beneath that.

Cinema attendances were also plunging, so who knows what folk were doing for entertainment then!

Hearts crowds were even worse. I went to Tynecastle with a yam-supporting pal circa 1982 and I remember thinking it seemed almost deserted. Can't remember who they were playing but the crowd was listed as under 3k in the papers the next day.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-04-2023, 08:35 PM
Just an observation .Maybe everyone that was at the game is on Hibs.net.Suppose if you were at the game you are hard core given the crowd was only 4000.😋Only saying

Has there been 3999 posts from the other folk that were there apart from me?

Glory Lurker
02-04-2023, 08:38 PM
Hearts crowds were even worse. I went to Tynecastle with a yam-supporting pal circa 1982 and I remember thinking it seemed almost deserted. Can't remember who they were playing but the crowd was listed as under 3k in the papers the next day.

I'm not going to defend them for a minute but they were in the First Division then.

Two seasons down there after we got back up. I expected us to hammer them when they finally resurfaced :-(

CB Hibs 68
02-04-2023, 08:43 PM

Nope.

BILLYHIBS
02-04-2023, 09:31 PM
I remember a Thursday night game 1979 after we had played Old Co Huns three times in the Scottish Cup Final only 3200 brave souls could be bothered turning up to go through it all again and watch us get a small crumb of revenge defeating Rangers 2-1 in the last game of the season Benny Brazil and Gordon Rae scoring our goals

Was I there ?

TBH at the time I probably cared not a jot

Kato
02-04-2023, 11:09 PM
Yep, 4-1 game v St Johnstone. Bobby Thomson pushed over the linesman for flagging him offside. Think he got a 6 month ban for it.Nope. He pushed the linesman over because he played a St Johnstone player onside. He was onside because Arthur Duncan was laying unconscious in Hibs six yard box. Sent him over the top.

There was a feral enjoyment to it, Scottish officials being Scottish officials - but not advisable.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Kato
02-04-2023, 11:12 PM
Crowds were poor for years early 80s. After the Hampden riot and the new alcohol rules they plummeted. It was one of the reasons Hibs Kids was started as attendances were poor all over. Rangers crowds were pitiful in the main.

Kato
02-04-2023, 11:14 PM
I remember a Thursday night game 1979 after we had played Old Co Huns three times in the Scottish Cup Final only 3200 brave souls could be bothered turning up to go through it all again and watch us get a small crumb of revenge defeating Rangers 2-1 in the last game of the season Benny Brazil and Gordon Rae scoring our goals

Was I there ?

TBH at the time I probably cared not a jotRemember the Hibs fan in a boiler suit running on to give Arthur a cuddle before the game? Big cheer from the crowd.

We were a better team than them and one win out of four over a month came in the wrong game.

southern hibby
02-04-2023, 11:21 PM
Was there as a poor wee 14 year old. Used to go to the away games on the Libby travel back then.

GGTTH

LancsHibs
03-04-2023, 08:14 AM

Haha remember it well, me my dad & my brother travelled up from Blackpool to witness it😆

gringojoe
03-04-2023, 09:49 AM

I was there, probably still have the programme. :aok:

number9dream
03-04-2023, 10:09 AM
It was a nice, warm day and we were lounging in the sun in a sparsely populated terrace. Everyone got up on their feet to celebrate McNamara's rare goal.

Mick O'Rourke
03-04-2023, 10:25 AM
All the above of course was during The Thatcher Years aka The Poverty Years of High Unemployment.
We were all skint !

Maggie is to blame :agree:

BG23
03-04-2023, 10:32 AM
I was also there. Have a recollection of it being 2-1 at half time and there was a tannoy announcement for someone to go home, definitely missed the good bit!

Yes that person was myself. Moving house from Albion Road to Easter Road that weekend.
The van was due to arrive at 5-30pm but came 90 minutes early
My late wife Caroline panicked and as a result missed the 6 second half goals.
I did forgive her about 2 years later !!

BILLYHIBS
03-04-2023, 10:45 AM
https://i.ibb.co/4sPDCB0/F41-C43-E8-AC0-C-47-F0-A563-39-A3-D7753-F2-B.png (https://ibb.co/k3QrzYP)

McSwanky
03-04-2023, 10:53 AM
Yes that person was myself. Moving house from Albion Road to Easter Road that weekend.
I did forgive her about 2 years later !!Amazing, you have been the subject of many conversations in my house in the last 40 years, nice to finally 'meet' you! [emoji16]

BG23
03-04-2023, 11:14 AM
Amazing, you have been the subject of many conversations in my house in the last 40 years, nice to finally 'meet' you! [emoji16]

Cheers. My mates have given me a roasting about this for years now.
Should add that once move was completed I discovered that the driver was a Jambo !!!
He did not go to games and was only a sympathizer.
I am still convinced he was deliberately early.
Not sure who felt worse him or me as we kept hearing the roars from the goals being scored.

Superfurry72
03-04-2023, 11:16 AM
Freakish but welcome result in an especially grim era for the club. I remember Graham Harvey got one of the goals (possibly on his debut) and was being touted for better things than he went on to achieve.

He didn’t score that day, he scored on his debut against Morton in Feb 83.

Superfurry72
03-04-2023, 11:18 AM
Def a Hibs Kids game, I was there in the South Stand. Scored six up the slope!

Pagan Hibernia
03-04-2023, 01:00 PM

:greengrin

I was 6 months old and definitely wasn’t there.

interesting though. Football throws up freak results now and again and by the sound of it that is what this was. In contrast to the 7-0 at Tynecastle for example, which was a case of a fabulous team playing at the peak of their powers.

He's here!
03-04-2023, 01:05 PM
He didn’t score that day, he scored on his debut against Morton in Feb 83.

I stand corrected...pretty sure I remember him playing a part in one of the goals, but it was a long time ago.

He's here!
03-04-2023, 01:25 PM
http://www.mekeke.co.uk/FAB/82_83/Killie.htm

Some scans of reports on the game which were posted on a previous thread about it.

leftpeg
03-04-2023, 01:36 PM
I was there!
Was at Tannadice the week before when we scored three,but it was just a blip in another forgetful season,the most exciting thing to happen was the sheep winning the league at Easter road on the last day of the season and Fergie running about mental.
Things were really grim then and crowds didn't pick up till the late eighties.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

wookie70
03-04-2023, 01:37 PM
I did forgive her about 2 years later !!

I remember hearing your name all those years ago. Had totally forgot that until this thread. You hardly missed a game in those days, what a half to miss

BG23
03-04-2023, 02:01 PM
I remember hearing your name all those years ago. Had totally forgot that until this thread. You hardly missed a game in those days, what a half to miss

Yeah it is never a game when you are 3 or 4 down and want away ASAP Ha Ha

Mick O'Rourke
03-04-2023, 02:04 PM
:greengrin

I was 6 months old and definitely wasn’t there.

interesting though. Football throws up freak results now and again and by the sound of it that is what this was. In contrast to the 7-0 at Tynecastle for example, which was a case of a fabulous team playing at the peak of their powers.

A wee bit off the Killie topic ,but worth mentioning the following game we played Hertz (after The Zorro Game) was the following season,Sept 73,again at Tiny,and we lost 4-1 !
Two of my cousins were over from Indiana that month.
(Hi-bees from The Grassmarket. They emigrated when Gordon Smith signed for Hertz :greengrin!!
Anyway,here is me waxing lyrical aboot the Tornadoes and we all go to this game :confused:
Me with my newly acquired Notre Dame (The Fightin' Irish) cap on,too !

That of course was the old 1st Division.
In that season we finished 2nd......4pts behind Celtic :grr:
One loss more than Celtic (that bluddy 4-1)and a couple more draws.
The same season we bought Harper half way through the campaign and basically dumped Jimmy O' who had still been banging them in along with Alan Gordon.
The hertz finished 8th that season

Sorry for digressing from the Killie/hibs kids chat :greengrin:aok:

GGTTH

He's here!
03-04-2023, 02:16 PM
I was there!
Was at Tannadice the week before when we scored three,but it was just a blip in another forgetful season,the most exciting thing to happen was the sheep winning the league at Easter road on the last day of the season and Fergie running about mental.
Things were really grim then and crowds didn't pick up till the late eighties.

The sheep title win at ER took place in 1980 when they won 5-0 (we were already long relegated). They also gubbed us 5-0 on the final day of the 82/83 season but it was at Pittodrie.

leftpeg
03-04-2023, 04:36 PM
The sheep title win at ER took place in 1980 when they won 5-0 (we were already long relegated). They also gubbed us 5-0 on the final day of the 82/83 season but it was at Pittodrie.Old age kicking in for me!

The Modfather
03-04-2023, 10:03 PM
Did the Killie fans boo their team or were they supportive until the end?