PDA

View Full Version : todays performance

familyman
01-04-2023, 06:59 PM
Today was a disgrace ,you sometimes need to ask have these guys met before?
This is the business end of the season and to turn out a performance like that ws a real shocker...
There can be little excuse for a disjointed non urgent display like that .There has been loads of time on this so called journey to at least
be consistent by now surely.
The only positive is it shows that the Sheik our manager referred to needs to get here asap...
What a shocker..loads to change asap.
Come on Hibs sort it out ,we need ateam to be proud of.
The pie was good though.

Trinity Hibee
01-04-2023, 07:02 PM
You’d never think that team believed they were in with a chance of getting 3rd. They don’t need to think about it anymore though as the chance has now gone

gaz1875
01-04-2023, 07:03 PM
We were all over the place from the kick off, yet again started with the wrong line up, and the midfield and keeper had a day off.

Don Giovanni
01-04-2023, 07:50 PM
We were all over the place from the kick off, yet again started with the wrong line up, and the midfield and keeper had a day off.

Agree :agree:

Thought we looked unfamilair with the formation with players unsure who they were picking up, when to match a run, when to pass a player on. Really poor stuff.

We looked a bit steadier when changing formation - I'll let others decide whether to chastise Johnson for setting the team up poorly or recognising a problem and making a change.

Regardless, I thought we created little throughout and our defence struggled against van Veen and Mandron.

Few good performances out there today. At a push Nisbet and Cadden may get pass marks. Somehow little impact from the substiutions either.

S4uzee
01-04-2023, 08:08 PM
Such a missed opportunity today. The team looked so disjointed and lacking any quality.

Trinity Hibee
01-04-2023, 08:09 PM
Such a missed opportunity today. The team looked so disjointed and lacking any quality.

That’s the disappointing thing. We could have been 2 points off 3rd.

WeeRussell
01-04-2023, 08:14 PM
You’d never think that team believed they were in with a chance of getting 3rd. They don’t need to think about it anymore though as the chance has now gone

Is it? Hearts got beat too.. if we’d both won the chance surely wasn’t gone?

I didn’t think we’d finish third before today’s game and still don’t… but the chance hasn’t gone and is definitely still worth thinking about.

Trinity Hibee
01-04-2023, 08:17 PM
Is it? Hearts got beat too.. if we’d both won the chance surely wasn’t gone?

I didn’t think we’d finish third before today’s game and still don’t… but the chance hasn’t gone and is definitely still worth thinking about.

I actually thought if hearts were going to drop points it would be today. If they’d won I’d have thought it would have been virtually impossible even if we’d won. We’ve now one game less to catch them. Realistically I agree I didn’t think we’d get 3rd but today has confirmed it

Lago
01-04-2023, 08:43 PM
That’s the disappointing thing. We could have been 2 points off 3rd.
And here we are heading to play Dun Utd, fighting for their lives, hibs now effectively fighting to stay in the top 6. Who's your money on?

green day
01-04-2023, 08:46 PM
3rd place? Dont make me laugh, we were awful.

CB Hibs 68
01-04-2023, 08:56 PM
That performance was woeful considering what was at stake.LJ ‘s team selection was perplexing and as far as I could make out the second half substitutions were just a chuck of the dice.No shape or structure just the vague Hope if you have enough forward minded players on the pitch you might score. Not good enough.

chrisski33
01-04-2023, 08:57 PM
I take it the psychologist they brought in has gone or wasnt very good

NAE NOOKIE
01-04-2023, 09:29 PM
There was a lot to play for today, unfortunately for most of that game Motherwell looked like they were the team playing for it not us.

In the end they scored from set pieces two of which could and should have been saved by a keeper well off his game .... but the real disappointment today was our absolute inability to created anything that tested their keeper apart from the one decent cross we scored from.

We lost absolutely every second ball in the first half and looked slow and totally devoid of ideas for most of the game ..... we looked so short of quality against a team who were nothing more than organised and motivated it was scary.

Broxburn Greens
01-04-2023, 10:01 PM
Awful from start to finish.

At times we just can’t cope with a team that presses onto us and often we never seem to press back.

Motherwell happy to let us have the ball as we reverted to the side to side and then back passing as we couldn’t find a way through. They moved the ball sharply and looked dangerous on the counter and well organised at the back.

Only time we moved the ball quick was the move for Nisbets goal.

Awful performance from nearly all players but also wrong line up, wrong tactics so questions for the manager to answer. Added to that our setting up to defend set pieces was awful.

Big chance blown, win today the hunt was 100% on for 3rd and top six long odds on. As it is 3rd now a bigger ask and top six based on the table virtually even money.

Very disappointed today.

Not In The Know
01-04-2023, 10:09 PM
The biggest worry for me was that’s 2 weeks prep. Ffs

ekhibee
01-04-2023, 10:19 PM
Agree :agree:

Thought we looked unfamilair with the formation with players unsure who they were picking up, when to match a run, when to pass a player on. Really poor stuff.

We looked a bit steadier when changing formation - I'll let others decide whether to chastise Johnson for setting the team up poorly or recognising a problem and making a change.

Regardless, I thought we created little throughout and our defence struggled against van Veen and Mandron.

Few good performances out there today. At a push Nisbet and Cadden may get pass marks. Somehow little impact from the substiutions either.
Good points made there, I agree with most of it. Dunno about Nisbet though, I thought he looked totally disinterested in the 1st half. Wasn't impressed with him at all apart from the goal which was pretty straightforward IMO.

ehf
01-04-2023, 10:32 PM
The biggest worry for me was that’s 2 weeks prep. Ffs

Yep, it’s all fine on the training ground but a different story when you actually have to play against an organised, motivated opposition with a game plan and a competent manager.

Nakedmanoncrack
01-04-2023, 10:49 PM
Poorly run club, crap players, zero desire = comprehensive defeats such as today.

Jones28
01-04-2023, 11:13 PM
Poorly run club, crap players, zero desire = comprehensive defeats such as today.

Go to bed.

Nakedmanoncrack
01-04-2023, 11:34 PM
Go to bed.

Hilarious riposte.

basehibby
01-04-2023, 11:52 PM
Abysmal overall performance today. I thought the starting team was far too negative and that's what ultimately cost us as we surrendered the momentum early doors - OK we had 2 up front but with little width and not enough flair or creativity on the pitch to trouble what was a pretty ordinary Motherwell side really. Combined with that Marshall had probably his worst performance in a Hibs shirt to date - being culpable for certainly two of Motherwell's goals.
Marsh wasn't the only one having an off day though - far from it as you would struggle to name a Hibs player that shone - with slack and/or telegraphed passing being the order of the day.
Very disappointing with a great opportunity to close on the Yams scorned - we missed Ellie Youan and I look forward to his return to the team at Tannadice.

matty_f
02-04-2023, 12:07 AM
With everything that was at stake today, that performance was disgusting.

Very hard to find pass marks in the team.

Greenio
02-04-2023, 12:53 AM
It was on the cards wasn't it.

Confident going into it. Chatting about Europe. Missing our biggest goal threat. Manager in the stands and not in the dressing room (didn't realize this) before the game or at half time.

Recipe for a loss

(Oh, and we were awful)

pacoluna
02-04-2023, 03:04 AM
And here we are heading to play Dun Utd, fighting for their lives, hibs now effectively fighting to stay in the top 6. Who's your money on?

Hibs.

JammyDoidger
02-04-2023, 05:31 AM
Streaky lee..feels like every time we have the old firm we go on a rotten run, let's hope it doesn't last too long.

Dashing Bob S
02-04-2023, 05:57 AM

Played like they had no chance in getting sixth

Jones28
02-04-2023, 06:30 AM
Hilarious riposte.

Funnier than yours. Toys well and truly chucked out the pram after yesterday.

Bobby's Cinema
02-04-2023, 07:34 AM
Streaky lee..feels like every time we have the old firm we go on a rotten run, let's hope it doesn't last too long.
Told us during the week we were heading in the right direction. That was a million miles away yesterday. Tired of the inconsistency - when we are bad we are god awful. Totally lacking any plan or direction yesterday, it was pretty clear we were in trouble just looking at the line-up. Several weeks to prepare for that showing yesterday and Hearts going down makes it worse.

B.H.F.C
02-04-2023, 07:56 AM
When I saw the team, even though I don’t think there is a huge amount that could have been done differently, my first thought was how are we creating anything. Simply not got the players. So you find another way to win which is probably going to require a lot of graft and hard work but those on the pitch weren't prepared to do it that way.

Bigger picture, I’m not really sure we’re much further forward than we were when LJ came in. Despite all the players we’ve brought in we still have an unbalanced squad, particularly in the middle of the park. We’ve not really started to build a team and will still be at square one in the summer, particularly with loan players returning to their clubs, loan players returning to us. And then we’ll probably hear more about how we need to move players on again.

OstKurve Hibs
02-04-2023, 08:00 AM
With everything that was at stake today, that performance was disgusting.

Very hard to find pass marks in the team.

Disgusting but far from surprising, how they manage to **** their kecks everytime theres something at stake is beyond a joke !

Pretty Boy
02-04-2023, 08:50 AM
It's one of those games which leaves you wondering if you are overreacting and will you feel a bit differently after the initial 'shock' and anger has worn off.

If anything I find it even more inexplicable today. Yes there were mitigating factors but some of the individual errors, lack of basics and general lethargicness was like an exaggerated comedy sketch of Sunday League football.

It was dire. Johnsons set up, selection and then bizarre choice of HT sub was dire. The players application and execution was dire. A game in which most people went in feeling pretty positive yet again was a total let down from a group of players who have done that far too often.

DaveF
02-04-2023, 08:58 AM
I'm still utterly baffled with Marshall and his penalty effort. I've no idea how he manages to screw that up.

JimBHibees
02-04-2023, 09:02 AM
It's one of those games which leaves you wondering if you are overreacting and will you feel a bit differently after the initial 'shock' and anger has worn off.

If anything I find it even more inexplicable today. Yes there were mitigating factors but some of the individual errors, lack of basics and general lethargicness was like an exaggerated comedy sketch of Sunday League football.

It was dire. Johnsons set up, selection and then bizarre choice of HT sub was dire. The players application and execution was dire. A game in which most people went in feeling pretty positive yet again was a total let down from a group of players who have done that far too often.

Yep it was inexplicably poor

JimBHibees
02-04-2023, 09:05 AM
I'm still utterly baffled with Marshall and his penalty effort. I've no idea how he manages to screw that up.

Agree was watching it from ff upper. Just after contact with Marshall heading across and such a poorly hit penalty going the same way no way was it looking anything other than a comfortable save. Incredible he let it in. Same as Celtic yet though at least that one had some power in it this one he should have putting his cap on it.

B.H.F.C
02-04-2023, 09:10 AM
Agree was watching it from ff upper. Just after contact with Marshall heading across and such a poorly hit penalty going the same way no way was it looking anything other than a comfortable save. Incredible he let it in. Same as Celtic yet though at least that one had some power in it this one he should have putting his cap on it.

He should have saved it no doubt about it.

His attempt at saving it was only half as bad as giving it away in the first place though. The challenge he made was absolutely ludicrous.

flash
02-04-2023, 09:19 AM

His attempt at saving it was only half as bad as giving it away in the first place though. The challenge he made was absolutely ludicrous.
I have watched the penalty incident again and I reckon he just decided to take the boy out knowing the consequences.
Borderline red card for me.

Pretty Boy
02-04-2023, 09:22 AM
I have watched the penalty incident again and I reckon he just decided to take the boy out knowing the consequences.
Borderline red card for me.

Was it Van Veen he took out?

They had that little ding dong on the touchline a few minutes before. I wonder if the red mist has just come down.

BoomtownHibees
02-04-2023, 09:25 AM

They had that little ding dong on the touchline a few minutes before. I wonder if the red mist has just come down.

Na, was Spittal

flash
02-04-2023, 09:28 AM

It wasn't Van Veen but it was a pretty ridiculous lunge.

JimBHibees
02-04-2023, 09:36 AM

Absolutely couldn't believe my eyes seemed to be completely out of character

A Hi-Bee
02-04-2023, 10:16 AM
A day gone past and that performance still ranks with the worst team effort I have witnessed in a long time, Rank rotten from goalkeeper to left wing.
We are just a pretty poor side that can win or struggle and be lucky to stay in the upper six. A hell of a lot of work needs doing at Hibs and still not convinced with the manager but we cannot afford to keep binning them so we are stick with him for the future.
Re-build, re-build, re-build.

ehf
02-04-2023, 11:44 AM
A day gone past and that performance still ranks with the worst team effort I have witnessed in a long time, Rank rotten from goalkeeper to left wing.
We are just a pretty poor side that can win or struggle and be lucky to stay in the upper six. A hell of a lot of work needs doing at Hibs and still not convinced with the manager but we cannot afford to keep binning them so we are stick with him for the future.
Re-build, re-build, re-build.

We are going nowhere under this clown.

Hibernia&Alba
02-04-2023, 11:51 AM
It was really poor. The truth is we are just one mediocre side amongst many in a mediocre league, which means there will be days like yesterday. We don't have the quality required to be consistent; it's case of good one week then possibly really bad the next. It just didn't work yesterday; it was one of the bad days.

NadeAteMyLunch!
02-04-2023, 12:37 PM

Especially since he faced the exact same penalty in our last game and did the exact same thing!! Genuinely unbelievable that he’s allowed the same thing to happen again. The Celtic one was on a wet pitch and had a wee bit power on it which could almost explain him not saving it but zero excuse yesterday

Hibees1973
02-04-2023, 12:47 PM

Marshall must have had the day off when the psychologist came in.

Will need a miracle worker, not a psychologist to turn the likes of McKirdy, Henderson & Tavares into even a competent player at this level.

Just my opinion but in sport psychologists may have a positive impact on elite athletes. Even 1% difference could put an elite athlete up a level. I tend to dismiss and laugh when I hear psychologists are mentioned in conversations at the likes of Hibs and other clubs at our level.

Hibees1973
02-04-2023, 12:49 PM

A Hibs goalkeeper should be saving that. Even the second free kick was abysmal. Not good enough if we want to finish top 4.

Broken Gnome
02-04-2023, 01:00 PM
It was really poor. The truth is we are just one mediocre side amongst many in a mediocre league, which means there will be days like yesterday. We don't have the quality required to be consistent; it's case of good one week then possibly really bad the next. It just didn't work yesterday; it was one of the bad days.

Wasn't even our worst performance of the season. Ross County at home was probably more shambolic, and the Dundee Utd 2-2 game is slightly elevated by the fact we somehow got something out of it.

To have three very winnable home games in a relative short space of time where we've been comically bad - to the point you're genuinely wondering quite what on earth the game plan is, and whether we need an entirely new team - is really a sad indictment on players and management.

Broken Gnome
02-04-2023, 01:03 PM
Absolutely couldn't believe my eyes seemed to be completely out of character

Keepers rushing out like that never seemingly ends well for them. No idea how a bit of experience doesn't kick in where they realise it's not the 50-50 they believe it to be - they should realise this and either back off or stand their ground.

That Marshall launched in knee high was an extra special piece of idiocy as well.

7Hero
02-04-2023, 01:17 PM

hits the nail on the head ...

WhileTheChief..
02-04-2023, 02:23 PM
Is it ok to say Motherwell were good yesterday?!

I thought they played some cracking stuff at times. They fought for every ball and you could see the desire was there throughout the whole game. They played at a decent pace with some nice quick passing.

Pretty impressive turn around of results for them and Aberdeen recently.

B.H.F.C
02-04-2023, 02:34 PM

I thought they played some cracking stuff at times. They fought for every ball and you could see the desire was there throughout the whole game. They played at a decent pace with some nice quick passing.

Definitely showed more fight and desire. Bit of quality for the first free kick.

Marshall should have saved both in the second half which was obviously two goals from dead balls. Guess what I’m trying to say is that I didn’t think they were terribly impressive but they’re showing what a bit of organisation and enthusiasm does for you.

Tambo
02-04-2023, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't say this is the reason we lost but I was a little concerned about the lack of coaches on the touchline, was it just me or did they seem to not bother?

No doubt the worst we have seen this season performance wise and again its up to LJ to get the players ready for the next game.

We can't have a repeat of the bad run earlier on or we could even say goodbye to top 6.

Again it's inconsistent results and especially at home which is costing us 3rd place.

B.H.F.C
02-04-2023, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't say this is the reason we lost but I was a little concerned about the lack of coaches on the touchline, was it just me or did they seem to not bother?

No doubt the worst we have seen this season performance wise and again its up to LJ to get the players ready for the next game.

We can't have a repeat of the bad run earlier on or we could even say goodbye to top 6.

Again it's inconsistent results and especially at home which is costing us 3rd place.

Don’t know about a lack of them. Looked over at one point and Gray, Owens, McAllister and the goalie coach were all standing arms folded having a conversation. Between them (and LJ in the stand) they didn’t do enough to try and change things IMO. When we switched from the back three in the first half it should have been accompanied by a sub or two. We ended up with Campbell on the right wing and Jeggo playing as the furthest forward midfielder. Even the triple sub was too late, thought it should have been done at half time. It was so poor, and so obviously poor from so early, that we needed to totally shake it up earlier for me.

NAE NOOKIE
02-04-2023, 03:57 PM

Yes it is ok to say Motherwell were good. But that's the issue here, it's not as if their recent good form was a secret, we must have known we would be in for a tough game and yet we started as if it was a mid table end of season clash with nothing at stake. Its often the way to dismiss a decent performance by the opposition and just pick fault with Hibs, but in this instance our shortcomings were there for all to see ....... All Motherwell were was organised and motivated, the least you would expect from a club fighting for 3rd place would be to match that, but apart from a spell after we pulled a goal back we simply didn't.

The other thing I'll say is that for all the pointing out of our inability to create chances I lost count of the number of times our forwards made runs yesterday with the guy on the ball failing to play it over the top for them to run on to .... it happened at least 3 times in the second half and at one point you could see Nisbet's frustration as he ran off the shoulder of his defender with the ball he wanted not being played. I know folk see him as a bit of a moaner, but in this case I could see why.
When we did play a through ball I can't be the only one getting frustrated as time and again the pass was over hit giving especially McKirdy, who seemed to be the victim of it about 3 times in the last 15 minutes, no chance of getting on the end of it.

I'll never tire of saying it .... If you don't have the confidence in your ability to hit a ball 20 yards over the top of a defence for a forward to run on to, or when you do the ability to make sure the ball doesn't land 10 yards out of his reach, how the hell did you even end up playing professional football in the first place?

500miles
02-04-2023, 05:02 PM
3 centre halfs and two sitting mids - one of which who's quality is all off the ball. Lee Johson wondering why we gave the ball away so much.

Mind bending that he plays Henderson in games we get limited possession in and gives him less than 10 minutes when we're crying out for someone to be brave in possession.

Hoppe shouldn't be let out of the opposition penalty box - playing him wide or as a number 10 is a waste of time.

These weren't unforeseeable issues - we have players who are strong in some areas an weak in others, and we set up in a way that didn't seem to take that into consideration at all.
Newell will be straight back in that team as well.

DJ HIBBY
03-04-2023, 06:07 AM
Definitely showed more fight and desire. Bit of quality for the first free kick.

Marshall should have saved both in the second half which was obviously two goals from dead balls. Guess what I’m trying to say is that I didn’t think they were terribly impressive but they’re showing what a bit of organisation and enthusiasm does for you.

They missed a couple of sitters in first half too. Thought Van Veen was excellent for them and would definitely take him as a replacement for Doidge.

mcfly
03-04-2023, 10:41 AM
I’m sorry I don’t rate this manager, he talks a great game but we are stuck with him for now as we can’t keep sacking managers.

However I don’t think he will last as we have too many performances like Saturday. Couple of decent performances and then that on Saturday.

European football is still achievable but he needs to sort it and fast

O'Rourke3
03-04-2023, 11:12 AM

They had that little ding dong on the touchline a few minutes before. I wonder if the red mist has just come down.Finally saw sportscene last night. Thought he should have been red carded for the challenge. Thing that's puzzling me is he's never ran out that far but generally stayed on his line in these sutuations.. We've lost a couple of goals when he's had the opportunity to come off the line and clear. That said, Spittal needs cleared out in general....

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Clarence
03-04-2023, 01:55 PM

Or just added to the level of confusion already created by the manager. We all slated Cathro but LJ is up there in terms of the level of drivel he spouts. The players looked like they had no idea what they were supposed to be doing out there. Even the usually composed CJ Egan-R looked a bit unsure when he was in possession.