PDA

View Full Version : TWO minutes of applause today....

basehibby
01-04-2023, 05:31 PM
.... for I've no idea what (Ken Buchanan???).

With all due sympathy and respect for loved ones of deceased, is this getting a bit much or is it just me?

LewysGot2
01-04-2023, 05:32 PM
One was for the 15 year old who died recently. No idea what the other one was for but the name Luke was on a banner.

WhileTheChief..
01-04-2023, 05:38 PM
Didn’t know what either one was for.

I rarely bother with them these days too many to keep up.

chrisski33
01-04-2023, 06:22 PM

With all due sympathy and respect for loved ones of deceased, is this getting a bit much or is it just me?

Just you

cabbageandribs1875
01-04-2023, 06:29 PM
15th minute for the young hearts fan and 21st minute was for the 21 year old hibs fan that passed away

Trinity Hibee
01-04-2023, 06:30 PM

It seems to be the norm nowadays. Can’t say it’s what I would do but if others find comfort in it then fair enough.

andrew70
01-04-2023, 06:48 PM

Not just you. Every week it seems.

Billy Whizz
01-04-2023, 08:12 PM
2 young lads aged 15 and 21 lost their lives so early in the last 2 weeks. Regardless of who they support, the Hibernian family showed some respect to their families today

These are spontaneous applauses

JohnM1875
01-04-2023, 08:17 PM
Just don't applaud if you're not sure? Personally have no issue with it and I'm sure it brings a bit of joy to the family involved during a time where things are ****.

Steve-O
01-04-2023, 08:25 PM
2 young lads aged 15 and 21 lost their lives so early in the last 2 weeks. Regardless of who they support, the Hibernian family showed some respect to their families today

Don’t think they are spontaneous when they are planned on social media.

Has gone a bit OTT it seems though. If the result is people applauding and they don’t even know why, it’s surely a bit meaningless.

Not to say there aren’t occasions when it is appropriate but doing it for every fan that passes away, as seems to the be the case, starts to dilute it.

JohnM1875
01-04-2023, 08:32 PM

Has gone a bit OTT it seems though. If the result is people applauding and they don’t even know why, it’s surely a bit meaningless.

Not to say there aren’t occasions when it is appropriate but doing it for every fan that passes away, as seems to the be the case, starts to dilute it.

Of course it isn't meaningless to the families involved. It's 60 or in todays case 120 seconds out of your day.

Johnny Clash
01-04-2023, 08:34 PM
There has been a few times applause has broken out and I’ve been unaware of the circumstances. It doesn’t really matter to me - I am very happy to clap for 60 seconds and hope this display of respect from the crowd is giving comfort to someone who has lost a loved one.

chrisski33
01-04-2023, 08:55 PM
Can't believe some would question an applause for folk who have passed away especially those so early in their years.

JohnM1875
01-04-2023, 08:57 PM
Can't believe some would question an applause for folk who have passed away especially those so early in their years.

Absolutely mental, agree.

Hibby70
01-04-2023, 09:07 PM
I don't mind when it's young fans or those with a strong connection to the club or city.

Its ridiculous when it's for something totally unrelated to us.

The Baldmans Comb
01-04-2023, 09:18 PM
No harm done if that's your thing but probably best ignored as there are so many these days that it just becomes an irrelavance.

mca
01-04-2023, 09:28 PM

Totally agree -Usually Understand Before the game if someone Famous has passed - Nowadays It seems like a " what the fck is everyone clapping For " could be 16 mins / 25 mins / 41 mins / 61 mins etc.. Just Getting a Bit repetitive..

When I Die Can Everyone Just " Boo " for 5 seconds :thumbsup: ps im 49 but you can Boo Anytime... :greengrin

wookie70
01-04-2023, 09:32 PM

Not really spontaneous when Banner etc are printed. I've stopped clapping, no issue with anyone who does but I really don't like it and I can't help but feel it won't be great for anyone who has lost someone to be reminded of that once or twice every home game when they are there for some entertainment. If the club wants to do it for Ron or someone who we all knew then fair enough and if any fan wants to organise a clap or silence before or after the game then I would support that. During the game is not the time to do it and what happens if someone dies at age 99.

Der Panzer
01-04-2023, 09:43 PM

Agreed. It's difficult to articulate without sounding heartless, but ultimately, I come to the football to escape from reality, not to wallow in the latest tragic event... or support the latest cause the elites are pushing for that matter.

Broxburn Greens
01-04-2023, 09:51 PM
My worry is that these become a bit diluted if you will.

It just seems we are doing these virtually every week now.

With the ongoing demise of the minutes silence due to idiots who can’t keep their mouths shut and the applause becoming the norm I do think people have a point about perhaps reserving them more for the more relevant occurrences.

Obviously 15 & 21 are tragically young ages for anyone to pass and if they were a part of the wider Edinburgh football community then I get it (& yes, I did clap at both despite not knowing the backstory).

As someone said above if it brings comfort to those bereaved then it’s not a problem for me and I will continue to respect them.

Jones28
01-04-2023, 11:09 PM
Are you’s paying per clap? Jeez it’s a minute out of your game. Just applaud ffs.

basehibby
02-04-2023, 12:14 AM
Totally agree -Usually Understand Before the game if someone Famous has passed - Nowadays It seems like a " what the fck is everyone clapping For " could be 16 mins / 25 mins / 41 mins / 61 mins etc.. Just Getting a Bit repetitive..

When I Die Can Everyone Just " Boo " for 5 seconds :thumbsup: ps im 49 but you can Boo Anytime... :greengrin

:tee hee:

CockneyRebel
02-04-2023, 07:54 AM
There has been a few times applause has broken out and I’ve been unaware of the circumstances. It doesn’t really matter to me - I am very happy to clap for 60 seconds and hope this display of respect from the crowd is giving comfort to someone who has lost a loved one.

:aok: