PDA

View Full Version : Murray Johnson

Diclonius
01-04-2023, 04:39 PM
Is he ready to be first choice next season?

cameronw-hfc
01-04-2023, 04:45 PM
Not yet but could be sooner than usual for a keeper. He's the best we've had come through our academy in that role for quite some time according to a few I've spoken to, so I'd be cautious but reasonable with him.

There's a reason he's in the U21 squad at 18 but also a reason he's not getting a game for us yet. Still a little too raw, albeit very talented

Smartie
01-04-2023, 04:50 PM
I know it was only an U19 game but his mistake in that Dortmund game was pretty bad - I’m not sure I’ve seen worse from a Hibs 1st choice.

He’d need to be made of pretty stern stuff to be able to put that out his mind quickly if he did it in the first team.

Pretty Boy
01-04-2023, 05:02 PM
Out on loan next season with a view to coming back and playing 24/25.

Sign a keeper in the summer to compete with/replace Marshall until his contract expires.

Roxyhibee
01-04-2023, 05:06 PM

Sign a keeper in the summer to compete with/replace Marshall until his contract expires.

That’ll be replace

Iain G
01-04-2023, 05:58 PM
Is he ready to be first choice next season?

No

GreenGray
01-04-2023, 06:09 PM
How do we know he’s not ready realistically? Why not just give him a chance he can’t be worse than Marshall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHeffernan
01-04-2023, 06:11 PM

That is exactly what should happen.
Johnson has had two successful loan spells at Airdrie this season.
If we could get him a loan at a Championship team next season that would be perfect.

Daniel 1875
01-04-2023, 06:25 PM
The fact we’ve not got an established second choice first team goalkeeper at this stage of the season has to be questioned.

Jones28
01-04-2023, 06:29 PM
Do we reckon Dabrovski is totally out of the picture then?

I know he’s out on loan but him getting a good bit of first team experience this season might be the kick starter he needs.

GreenGray
01-04-2023, 06:29 PM
The fact we’ve not got an established second choice first team goalkeeper at this stage of the season has to be questioned.

Because we put far too much faith in a 38 year old Marshall for some reason

Pretty Boy
01-04-2023, 06:31 PM
Do we reckon Dabrovski is totally out of the picture then?

I know he’s out on loan but him getting a good bit of first team experience this season might be the kick starter he needs.

He's out of contract in the summer and has been told he won't be offered a new one.

Jones28
01-04-2023, 06:32 PM
He's out of contract in the summer and has been told he won't be offered a new one.

Ah that’s a shame. What was your opinion on him PB?

Pretty Boy
01-04-2023, 06:48 PM
Ah that’s a shame. What was your opinion on him PB?

I quite liked him. A bit unconventional and not sure he was ever quite good enough for us but he'll have a decent career in the Championship if he ends up at someone like QotS next season.

He'll be 25 by the time next season starts and if we don't feel he will be ready to be 1st choice at that point then there comes a point you have to cut your losses and move on. It's why I'd want Johnson to get games next season. The old adage that keepers have to be wrapped in cotton wool for years no longer rings true. Plenty keepers go into 1st teams at 19/20 these days and thrive. He's good enough technically, it really is all about if he is there mentally

1875Sean
01-04-2023, 11:21 PM
Johnson will stay as second choice and maybe get some cup games I reckon with the aim with him become the number one the season after when Marshall is out of contract

MWHIBBIES
01-04-2023, 11:27 PM
Johnson will stay as second choice and maybe get some cup games I reckon with the aim with him become the number one the season after when Marshall is out of contract

So another season of Marshall playing for the opposition then. Cant wait

ErinGoBraghHFC
01-04-2023, 11:31 PM
I know it was only an U19 game but his mistake in that Dortmund game was pretty bad - I’m not sure I’ve seen worse from a Hibs 1st choice.

He’d need to be made of pretty stern stuff to be able to put that out his mind quickly if he did it in the first team.

I remember Simon Brown being nutmegged by a Charlie Adam free kick, that was probably the worst I can remember. Astounding tbh.

JimBHibees
02-04-2023, 08:36 AM
So another season of Marshall playing for the opposition then. Cant wait

That seems a balanced view

Stubbsy90+2
02-04-2023, 08:48 AM
That seems a balanced view

We’ve watched Marshall for 3 quarters of a season. We’ve seen the good and the bad, so I don’t think it’s necessarily unbalanced to have made an opinion on those performances.

Over the piece this season he’s been poor imo. To have been at fault for as many goals as he has in the timeframe he has is really, really poor. Off the top of my head we’ve had earlier this season at Celtic park, both derbies around new year, the recent trip to Celtic Park he probably should have saved the penalty, the Rangers game at ER recently, both goals yesterday. That’s 7 goals he’s been badly at fault for in three quarters of a season and there may have been more that I’ve forgotten.

Bishop Hibee
02-04-2023, 09:39 AM

Agree. Great prospect but not ready for the starting XI every week yet.

The dalmeny
02-04-2023, 02:07 PM

How many times have you seen him play for the reserves u18?

Is this kind of mistake a common occurrence?

Smartie
02-04-2023, 02:47 PM
How many times have you seen him play for the reserves u18?

Is this kind of mistake a common occurrence?

Only the once. I’m led to believe it’s far from a common occurrence and that he’s pretty reliable.

Every goalkeeper makes mistakes, the key is how they respond to them. That’s the unknown with a GK who is 18/19 and I’m not sure playing in goal for an inconsistent Hibs side is a brilliant place to be making mistakes and learning from them. He’d need to be a pretty strong character if we were to be throwing him into the team.

I’m on the fence a bit - can see why we might want to do it, could see that we might ruin a promising career in doing so prematurely.

easty
02-04-2023, 03:04 PM

If he’s not going to be first choice, then get him loaned to the Championship, or wherever he’s going to play every week.

Cannae be any good for his development to be watching games from the bench for a year.

We should bring in a loan keeper to sit on the bench.

The dalmeny
03-04-2023, 08:16 PM
Only the once. I’m led to believe it’s far from a common occurrence and that he’s pretty reliable.

Every goalkeeper makes mistakes, the key is how they respond to them. That’s the unknown with a GK who is 18/19 and I’m not sure playing in goal for an inconsistent Hibs side is a brilliant place to be making mistakes and learning from them. He’d need to be a pretty strong character if we were to be throwing him into the team.

I’m on the fence a bit - can see why we might want to do it, could see that we might ruin a promising career in doing so prematurely.

Saw him a few times at 18s as I had a friend whose laddie played 18s too. Always seemed solid but had major temperament/composure issues on one occasion but I’ve personally not seen that repeated.

I wouldn’t read too much into the dortmund incident. Keepers that age make mistakes all the time, as you say it what you do next. Don’t think being on the bench for us is good for his development. Seemed to do well at Airdrie, would benefit from more of the same I think. Agree 100% on your final comment

The dalmeny
03-04-2023, 08:18 PM
If he’s not going to be first choice, then get him loaned to the Championship, or wherever he’s going to play every week.

Cannae be any good for his development to be watching games from the bench for a year.

We should bring in a loan keeper to sit on the bench.

Ties in with my comment above. Now he’s on a decent contract get him into championship/L1 playing every week. Either sign or loan in a bench warmer.

MWHIBBIES
03-04-2023, 08:40 PM
Ties in with my comment above. Now he’s on a decent contract get him into championship/L1 playing every week. Either sign or loan in a bench warmer.

Sign a first choice goalie. If they aren't here to take a spot, they're not worth signing.

The dalmeny
03-04-2023, 08:51 PM
7319194 (tel:7319194)[/URL]]Sign a first choice goalie. If they aren't here to take a spot, they're not worth signing.

got to have the dosh for that