PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Porteous

JGS56
31-03-2023, 12:23 PM
Just noticed that Hibs appeared to get £300,000 for Ryan with a sell-on clause of around 20%.

Look forward to him getting touted around some Premier League clubs.

Hibernian sell-on clause percentage for Watford man emerges (footballleagueworld.co.uk) (https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/size-of-hibernians-sell-on-clause-for-watford-man-ryan-porteous-emerges/)

Apologies if this has already been raised - not been on the site for a few days.

Jones28
31-03-2023, 12:27 PM
Not seen those figures before - but considering what he had left on his contract that seems like pretty good business.

DH1875
31-03-2023, 12:28 PM
I'm surprised at that to be honest.

Ringothedog
31-03-2023, 12:40 PM
It’s a fantastic deal for Watford and a reasonable deal for us.Watford Sell him for £5m and they make a profit of £4.7m less our 20% of £940k. They make £3.76m we would get a total of £1.240m for a player we developed and had made into a full international. We could end up with more but just as likely we get nothing if he runs his contract down again

HoboHarry
31-03-2023, 12:45 PM
It’s a fantastic deal for Watford and a reasonable deal for us.Watford Sell him for £5m and they make a profit of £4.7m less our 20% of £940k. They make £3.76m we would get a total of £1.240m for a player we developed and had made into a full international. We could end up with more but just as likely we get nothing if he runs his contract down again
Given his performances thus far for Watford and Scotland I'm inclined to think that any club bidding 5m would be told to go and get f****d.

Tambo
31-03-2023, 12:56 PM
"I think Ryan has always been a good player; perceptions change. He’s in a new environment where he's training with better athletes – that Watford squad is strong in terms of the players' athletic nature. I think he probably already is a £20m player,” he states. “Absolutely. I’ve sold players at the clubs I’ve been at and Ryan is as good as all of them. Alfie Mawson, £5.5m; Lloyd Kelly, £22.5m; Adam Webster, £25m; Aden Flint, £7m, Marc Roberts, £3.5m, and James Tarkowski played for England.

Quote from LJ.

Newry Hibs
31-03-2023, 01:09 PM
Hopefully he's on the end of a beating tomorrow (and then picks up and does well again).

Live tomorrow in the 'other' match.

Oscar T Grouch
31-03-2023, 03:41 PM
Ryan said in an interview I listened to that he wanted Hibs to be looked after in his move to Watford, I assume that is the sell on that was inserted, maybe he insisted on it as Hibs weren't really in a position to insert a clause like that, Hibs got cash to the equivalent to what the development fee would have been if he'd stayed in Scotland. Sounds like a great deal for Hibs given the circumstances.

Torto7
31-03-2023, 04:19 PM
Hopefully Watford dont go up and he remains consistent. A prem team will come with a bid north of 15 million. Souttar was 15 million and isnt as good.

Stairway 2 7
31-03-2023, 04:20 PM

They would laugh at a 5 million offer. Look at the price of championship to Premiership transfers its insane. Aberdeen got £6 million for Mckenna, Ryan would be north of 15

If he keeps playing well for them and Scotland then there will be offers.

Stairway 2 7
31-03-2023, 04:20 PM
Hopefully Watford dont go up and he remains consistent. A prem team will come with a bid north of 15 million. Souttar was 15 million and isnt as good.

Snap

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2023, 04:41 PM
Ryan Porteous is a fantastic footballer, but Championship is his level, i read that on here. :faf:

Smartie
31-03-2023, 06:40 PM
Ryan said in an interview I listened to that he wanted Hibs to be looked after in his move to Watford, I assume that is the sell on that was inserted, maybe he insisted on it as Hibs weren't really in a position to insert a clause like that, Hibs got cash to the equivalent to what the development fee would have been if he'd stayed in Scotland. Sounds like a great deal for Hibs given the circumstances.

It does - and fair play to him if indeed that was the case.

Ringothedog
31-03-2023, 08:09 PM
They would laugh at a 5 million offer. Look at the price of championship to Premiership transfers its insane. Aberdeen got £6 million for Mckenna, Ryan would be north of 15

If he keeps playing well for them and Scotland then there will be offers.

It was an example price to show how well Watford could do, not what they would sell him for. My point was that Watford got a great deal, the deal we got was reasonable

Alfred E Newman
31-03-2023, 08:38 PM
It's laughable how much the west coast media and the same opposition fans who subjected Ryan to ridiculous levels of abuse while he was at Hibs, are now singing his praises and coming out with nonsense like, " he has matured" "he has improved his media skills".
You could be excused for thinking he had been down south for a few years not weeks.

Speedy
31-03-2023, 08:48 PM
I'm sure that was mentioned on here earlier today. That's probably the source.

PHeffernan
31-03-2023, 10:01 PM
We may have a good sell on percentage clause in his contract but with the total payable restricted to say £500k so no matter how much he is sold on for we won't get more than £500k. Sadly we were in a weak bargaining position with the Italian player flippers of Watford.

Stairway 2 7
31-03-2023, 10:09 PM
The scotman said at the time a significant sell on was agreed
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/ryan-porteous-watford-and-hibs-agree-fee-as-defender-heads-south-to-complete-move-4001771

cocteautwin
31-03-2023, 10:34 PM
That’s a pretty good deal considering Hearts got less than £100k in the sell on of Hickey to Brentford.

CentreLine
31-03-2023, 11:43 PM
The 20% figure was mentioned at the AGM. Definitely a true figure.

Donegal Hibby
01-04-2023, 02:47 AM
Ryan Porteous is a fantastic footballer, but Championship is his level, i read that on here. :faf:
Wonder what club and league developed him into the fantastic footballer he is :cb

BILLYHIBS
01-04-2023, 06:04 AM
Kudos to Ryan for making sure Hibernian FC is looked after in what was a difficult situation for both parties

Cannot fault his commitment in the green and white

He is truly one of our own

theonlywayisup
01-04-2023, 06:34 AM
We may have a good sell on percentage clause in his contract but with the total payable restricted to say £500k so no matter how much he is sold on for we won't get more than £500k. Sadly we were in a weak bargaining position with the Italian player flippers of Watford.

I may have missed this, but where does the £500k limit come from. Surely we agreed to 20% with no restriction.

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2023, 06:56 AM
Wonder what club and league developed him into the fantastic footballer he is :cb

Watford obviously. :greengrin

chippy
01-04-2023, 07:01 AM
Not seen those figures before - but considering what he had left on his contract that seems like pretty good business.
I think that shows what a good Hibs man Ryan is. There probably was no imperative for him and his agent to get such a good deal for Hibs

Just_Jimmy
01-04-2023, 08:44 AM
Kudos to Ryan for making sure Hibernian FC is looked after in what was a difficult situation for both parties

Cannot fault his commitment in the green and white

He is truly one of our ownCould have signed a contract with an agreement with hibs he'd go when a price was matched. Giving hibs a bigger fee and bargaining. But nah... pitiful amount and hoping he makes us money by moving on. Just like the mcginn money that's never coming

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

easty
01-04-2023, 08:56 AM

What about the clause that we get £50m if they beat a top 4 team in the cup?

Doubt that exists either like.

Smartie
01-04-2023, 09:01 AM
I think that shows what a good Hibs man Ryan is. There probably was no imperative for him and his agent to get such a good deal for Hibs

I’d questioned his “Hibs man” credentials with the way he’d chosen to run down his contract but if he’s insisted that Hibs get looked after in this way then he’s certainly redeemed himself on that front.

He was under no obligation to do this and was entitled to look after himself so fair play if he’s insisted on it.

Whilst he’s entitled to look after himself and he rewarded us with some decent performances along the way, it’s easy to forget that it costs a lot to run an academy and Hibs will have put a lot into developing him as a player.

Rumble de Thump
01-04-2023, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=Smartie;7316799]I’d questioned his “Hibs man” credentials with the way he’d chosen to run down his contract but if he’s insisted that Hibs get looked after in this way then he’s certainly redeemed himself on that front.

He was under no obligation to do this and was entitled to look after himself so fair play if he’s insisted on it.

Whilst he’s entitled to look after himself and he rewarded us with some decent performances along the way, it’s easy to forget that it costs a lot to run an academy and Hibs will have put a lot into developing him as a player.[/QUOTE

He didn't run down his contract. He chose to leave while Hibs would still get some money for him, so both parties benefited.

Donegal Hibby
01-04-2023, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=Smartie;7316799]I’d questioned his “Hibs man” credentials with the way he’d chosen to run down his contract but if he’s insisted that Hibs get looked after in this way then he’s certainly redeemed himself on that front.

Whilst he’s entitled to look after himself and he rewarded us with some decent performances along the way, it’s easy to forget that it costs a lot to run an academy and Hibs will have put a lot into developing him as a player.[/QUOTE

He didn't run down his contract. He chose to leave while Hibs would still get some money for him, so both parties benefited.

I thought he did run down his contract when he refused a new deal tbf , £300,000 for a player we should have got £2 or £3mill for ,yes he looked after his boyhood club very well . Not convinced the 20 % is his idea either more likely the club doing well there . Don't particularly like the guy now even though I've defended him in the past though I'm happy he's doing well mainly because of the 20% sell on clause though . It's amazing though how good the English championship is when not only English but Scottish media really rate him now after 9 games or so at Watford and he's worth £5 , £10 ,£15 mill now . Porto must be right then when he said the Scottish premier is lacking in quality compared to the English championship then!

PHeffernan
01-04-2023, 06:56 PM
I may have missed this, but where does the £500k limit come from. Surely we agreed to 20% with no restriction.

It's made up.
The point I was making is that clauses in the Porteous contract could be absolutely anything at all and the only folk that know exactly what they are will be within the selling club Hibernian and the buying club Watford. Neither the supporters nor the media know any more about the clauses than what the clubs tell them which is generally what they want them to know. As a result both fans and media tend to fill the information vacuum with what they think the clauses are. The club never confirms nor denies whether those guesses are right or wrong.
To get a definitive answer you would have to ask Ben Kensall 3 questions.
1. Is there a sell on clause in the sale contract of Ryan Porteous which will benefit Hibernian in the event of a sale?
2. What is the clause?
3. Is there a maximum limit in the sum that Hibs can receive under that clause?

scoopyboy
01-04-2023, 06:58 PM
The point I was making is that clauses in the Porteous contract could be anything at all and the only folk that know exactly what they are will be within the selling club Hibernian and the buying club Watford. Neither the supporters nor the media know any more about the clauses than what the clubs tell them which is generally what they want them to know. As a result both tend to fill the information vacuum with what they think the clauses are. The club never confirms nor denies whether those guesses are right or wrong.
1. Is there a sell on clause in the sale contract of Ryan Porteous from Hibernian to Watford?
2. What is the clause?

I didn't go to the AGM this year but I'm sure Hibs mentioned a sell on percentage

PHeffernan
01-04-2023, 07:07 PM
I didn't go to the AGM this year but I'm sure Hibs mentioned a sell on percentage

I heard that but I don't know if anyone was cute enough to follow it up by asking a follow up question i.e. if there is a limit to how much we could receive as a result of the clause.

scoopyboy
01-04-2023, 07:30 PM
I heard that but I don't know if anyone was cute enough to follow it up by asking a follow up question i.e. if there is a limit to how much we could receive as a result of the clause.

I've honestly never heard of a limit on a sell on clause.

I dont think anybody questioned the sell on at the AGM but someone who was there may come on and clarify.

JimBHibees
02-04-2023, 09:48 AM

I dont think anybody questioned the sell on at the AGM but someone who was there may come on and clarify.

Yep will likely be a percentage of sell on fee so totally dependent on what that fee is.

Stubbsy90+2
03-04-2023, 10:06 PM

Did hearts not have that with Hickey?

andrew70
03-04-2023, 10:13 PM

Was it not that Hearts “sold” their sell on clause for a quick earner.

03-04-2023, 10:55 PM
It's made up.
The point I was making is that clauses in the Porteous contract could be absolutely anything at all and the only folk that know exactly what they are will be within the selling club Hibernian and the buying club Watford. Neither the supporters nor the media know any more about the clauses than what the clubs tell them which is generally what they want them to know. As a result both fans and media tend to fill the information vacuum with what they think the clauses are. The club never confirms nor denies whether those guesses are right or wrong.
1. Is there a sell on clause in the sale contract of Ryan Porteous which will benefit Hibernian in the event of a sale?
2. What is the clause?

Only needs 1 question. What is the full extent of Ryan Porteous's sell-on clause?

Salisbury Hibby
04-04-2023, 03:57 AM
Hopefully Watford dont go up and he remains consistent. A prem team will come with a bid north of 15 million. Souttar was 15 million and isnt as good.There could be other clauses than a sell on fee. Promotion, number of games, international appearances are sometimes in there too.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Winston Ingram
04-04-2023, 05:42 AM

There was a limit on Ivan Toney’s sell on clauses. When Peterborough originally sold him for £5m to Brentford. There were clauses based on goals scored, Brentford getting promotion and him getting an England cap.

The total fee ceiling was £10m so when he was capped by England last week, Peterborough got her haw as they’d already reached the ceiling as the goal and promotions clauses had already been paid out.

Stubbsy90+2
04-04-2023, 07:03 AM

Ah ok. :aok:

1van Sprou7e
04-04-2023, 10:05 PM

Find that very hard to believe, would be an insane financial decision for any club that's not completely skint

andrew70
04-04-2023, 10:09 PM
Find that very hard to believe, would be an insane financial decision for any club that's not completely skint

Whatever it was they only got a 6 figure sum from a reported £18-20mill sale. Well under the going rate.

PHeffernan
04-04-2023, 10:50 PM
Only needs 1 question. What is the full extent of Ryan Porteous's sell-on clause?

That's an open question, you haven't defined "full extent" so they can run rings round you.

JimBHibees
05-04-2023, 12:49 PM

Was it not they agreed to a set fee (rumoured to be 100k or so) rather than percentage of sell on?

zlatan
05-04-2023, 03:52 PM

It was Livingston that did this with Snodgrass under Massone. Were due a decent wedge and turned out he had sold it off before they went into administration.

gbhibby
08-04-2023, 08:55 PM
https://twitter.com/ConalGTracey/status/1644643842040135680?s=20
That's the way to deal with somebody that stops you taking a quick free kick.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

SickBoy32
09-04-2023, 03:17 PM
Really glad we sold our best defender, and one of the few sources of character and personality in the squad, for literal pennies in Jan

If anything sums up how rudderless we currently are (and have been for at least 18month), it's letting Porto's contract run down - whilst at the same time saddling us with Tavares, Melkerson, Newell, JDH etc for YEARS

What a mess