PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian's best ever tackler

Edina Street
31-03-2023, 05:48 AM
Ok, so according to this thread in the link below John McNamee could be considered Hibernian's hardest ever footballer.
https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?361375-Hibernian-s-hardest-men/page4

According to this thread in the link below, George McNeill is probably Hibernian's fastest ever player.
https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?361811-The-Ivan-Sproule-Debate/page2

So moving on now, who is Hibernian's best ever tackler?

I nominate Alex Cropley. I never actually got to see Alex Cropley play as I was still dead during the Turnbull's Tornadoes era, but not only have I read from members of Hibs.net about how great a tackler he was, I also read an online article about Graeme Souness. I wish I could find this article again so that I could present it, but the premise of the article was that Graeme Souness had a bit of a confession to make. Basically, the Hearts supporter was actually an admirer of Turnbull's Tornadoes, and in particular Alex Cropley. Apparently on Saturday's Graeme Souness could more often than not be found watching Hibs, than Hearts. Graeme confessed that he based his game on that of Alex Cropley. Though he claimed that "he took it to a new level".

For this reason, I vote Alex Cropley as Hibernian's best ever tackler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYAcB6pO8cA&t=68s

Ray_
31-03-2023, 05:54 AM
Ok, so according to this thread in the link below John McNamee could be considered Hibernian's hardest ever footballer.

According to this thread in the link below, George McNeill is probably Hibernian's fastest ever player.

I nominate Alex Cropley. I never actually got to see Alex Cropley play as I was still dead during the Turnbull's Tornadoes era, but not only have I read from members of Hibs.net about how great a tackler he was, I also read an online article about Graeme Souness. I wish I could find this article again so that I could present it, but the premise of the article was that Graeme Souness had a bit of a confession to make. Basically, the Hearts supporter was actually an admirer of Turnbull's Tornadoes, and in particular Alex Cropley. Apparently on Saturday's Graeme Souness could more often than not be found watching Hibs, than Hearts. Graeme confessed that he based his game on that of Alex Cropley. Though he claimed that "he took it to a new level".

Shades, Pat Stanton & John Blackley, from the same team, were all superb.

JimBHibees
31-03-2023, 06:12 AM

What a brilliant video that is. Fearless for a small guy shame about his injuries. Can remember he handed out the awards at my boys club team and at that time was at Arsenal. Can remember him saying he never wanted to leave Hibs though likelihood that was him saying what he thought a young Hibs fan wanted to hear :greengrin

Bostonhibby
31-03-2023, 06:50 AM
I'd give it to Erich Schaedler, just ahead of Cropley and John Blackley.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
31-03-2023, 07:06 AM
Sloop master of reading the game and timing his tackles and interventions hard but fair

Shades man of steel would crash into tackles like a train taking no prisoners

Crops heart of a lion for one so frail totally fearless excellent footballer

GBH Gordon Hunter speed of recovery over 10-15 yards immense forwards knew they had been tackled

Taxi for Farrell tenacious tackler probably one of his main strengths

Omeonga the master of stealthily nicking the ball away from the opposition regaining possession and keeping us on the front foot

Pat Stanton oozed class but no shrinking violet never saw him shirk a tackle total professional fantastic player and hard as nails

DIXIHIBS
31-03-2023, 07:18 AM
Always thought Jackie Mcnamara was a great tackler.

Trinity Hibee
31-03-2023, 07:21 AM
A more modern name is David Murphy. Don’t think he ever lost a tackle.

BILLYHIBS
31-03-2023, 07:40 AM
Always thought Jackie Mcnamara was a great tackler.

👍

Fantastic player for us loved our club and a great guy

Golden Bear
31-03-2023, 07:48 AM
Schaedler for me, he would run thru a brick wall if necessary.

MWHIBBIES
31-03-2023, 07:58 AM
Lewis loves a 50/50.

Mcginn was an excellent ball winner.

Kato
31-03-2023, 08:11 AM
Best ball winner - Des Bremner. An attribute that saw us get relegated when he left and Villa win a title and EC when he arrived.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Jones28
31-03-2023, 08:14 AM
Jay Shields was a brilliant tackler, genuinely can't remember anyone who loved a 50/50 more than him.

Forza Fred
31-03-2023, 08:17 AM
Because he was such a wonderful all round player I think Pat Stanton’s defensive qualities sometimes get overlooked.

I saw Pat deliver many a legitimate crunching tackle on the opposition.

eastmainsmsh
31-03-2023, 08:53 AM
Jay Shields was a brilliant tackler, genuinely can't remember anyone who loved a 50/50 more than him.

Was a cracking wee player

Tyler Durden
31-03-2023, 08:56 AM

You beat me to it!

Was there not a derby goal where he nailed Hartley in the build up?

I loved his attitude. Amazing how only 15 or so years later you really aren't allowed to tackle now. He'd be off every game

gbhibby
31-03-2023, 08:58 AM

Crops and John Collins

Wembley67
31-03-2023, 09:21 AM
Was a cracking wee player

I didn't realise he went on to have so few games in his career...only 100 odd since 2004 :confused:

BILLYHIBS
31-03-2023, 09:23 AM
Crops and John Collins

Many a stramash JC would emerge with the ball with his low centre of gravity and his upper body strength

BILLYHIBS
31-03-2023, 09:24 AM

Loved his attitude

Brilliant

superfurryhibby
31-03-2023, 09:25 AM
David Gray took no prisoners in the tackle.

Shanksaidno
31-03-2023, 09:42 AM
David Gray took no prisoners in the tackle.

My vote goes to Onion. Not many wingers got past him.
Not much between him and Shades, both really fast but John's legs were longer so he 'shades' it .

Edina Street
31-03-2023, 10:09 AM
Crops and John Collins

Some people might be surprised to hear John Collins spoken about amongst Hibernian's best ever tacklers, considering he was one of the finest dribblers in Great Britain at the time. However his defensive attributes were probably better than his goalscoring attributes. JC unfortunately did not quite have the predatory instinct in front of goal that the likes of Paul Scholes may have had. He maybe also lacked the killer pass that the likes of David Beckham could provide. But his dribbling and tackling abilities were superb.

Edina Street
31-03-2023, 10:14 AM
A more modern name is David Murphy. Don’t think he ever lost a tackle.

Out of the players I have actually watched play for Hibs, Gordon Hunter would have to be up there, perhaps above David Murphy. Though you're correct imo, David Murphy was a good tackler. Both were good tacklers that I would not consider dirty. Firm but fair.

O'Rourke3
31-03-2023, 10:29 AM
Erich Schaedler. Stand out in a team full of stand out ball winners.

Wheat Hound
31-03-2023, 10:30 AM
Sauzee sliding in and gracefully emerging with the ball was a sight to behold!

Mentions too, though, to Jay Shields smashing Paul Hartley to set up a goal for Riordan 😀

BILLYHIBS
31-03-2023, 10:32 AM
Verging on the psycho Callum Milne and Willie Miller both very effective nonetheless 😀

Mon Dieu4
31-03-2023, 10:34 AM
In my life time it's Willie Miller, used to crunch into tackles and mostly get the ball and the man, loved him

JeMeSouviens
31-03-2023, 11:22 AM
Some people might be surprised to hear John Collins spoken about amongst Hibernian's best ever tacklers, considering he was one of the finest dribblers in Great Britain at the time. However his defensive attributes were probably better than his goalscoring attributes. JC unfortunately did not quite have the predatory instinct in front of goal that the likes of Paul Scholes may have had. He maybe also lacked the killer pass that the likes of David Beckham could provide. But his dribbling and tackling abilities were superb.

The brilliant thing about Collins, and SJM to an extent, is how often they not only won the tackle, but came away in possession of the ball. Rather than putting it out or sending it somewhere random where we might get it or might not.

Kato
31-03-2023, 11:26 AM
The brilliant thing about Collins, and SJM to an extent, is how often they not only won the tackle, but came away in possession of the ball. Rather than putting it out or sending it somewhere random where we might get it or might not.Under rated quality.

Whenever Collins played for Hibs reserves, which wasn't too many times given he was in the 1st team squad very young, he played at left back.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

AgentDaleCooper
31-03-2023, 11:32 AM
not only seeing, but hearing lewis rattle through a 50/50 is one of my favourite things to witness at a hibs game. Pure commitment.

MikeyS
31-03-2023, 11:41 AM
Ian Murray tackled someone, possibly a Dundee Utd player, around the half way line in front of the dug out and the noise made by the ball was incredible even over in the old east terrace.

Scouse Hibee
31-03-2023, 11:46 AM
I remember Ian Murray tackling a Celtic player in front of the West, think it was Hinkel? Hit him like a train, truly one of the hardest hitsI have seen in a tackle.

BILLYHIBS
31-03-2023, 11:50 AM
Took a Dundee supporting mate to a Hibs game and he could not believe what he was seeing with SDG

The pace and intensity in which he played the game everything 100% fully committed for 90 minutes shirking nothing

Reckoned he must put a tremendous toll on his body and must spend hours on the treatment table

Surprising how many games SDG actually played playing at that intensity

Legend

On another note I remember Alex Cropley making a return to the Amateur ranks and what the Jambo’s in my team were going to do to him

Sodje saw them coming last week and it was they who were limping at the final whistle

Legend

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2023, 11:53 AM
In my time it has to be shades for me, i dont think any player wanted to be up against him when he was in his pomp.

The team he was in that were known as the tornadoes had a team of great tacklers and Alex Edwards, he liked a tackle too, but more often than not it was a late one. :greengrin

jakedance
31-03-2023, 12:07 PM

I couldn’t understand why this lad got so few chances. Looked like a right wee hard *******. I remember in one of his few appearances going Mark Hately (who could put himself about) a tough game.

Wembley67
31-03-2023, 12:14 PM
I couldn’t understand why this lad got so few chances. Looked like a right wee hard *******. I remember in one of his few appearances going Mark Hately (who could put himself about) a tough game.

Hately was years before Shields 🖐️

Jones28
31-03-2023, 12:32 PM

Hately was years before Shields 🖐️

Might be getting confused with Prso who, despite being about 1.5ft shorter, Shields dominated in the air and on the ground.

I think he had his troubles with injuries over the years. He was also in the same team as Whittiker and Kevin McCann, both were better technical players.

Norrieg
31-03-2023, 01:24 PM
Jackie McNamara. Had it down to a fine art.

I'm_cabbaged
31-03-2023, 02:05 PM
Might be getting confused with Prso who, despite being about 1.5ft shorter, Shields dominated in the air and on the ground.

I think he had his troubles with injuries over the years. He was also in the same team as Whittiker and Kevin McCann, both were better technical players.

Can remember him doing Roy Keane and giving him abuse as he lay on the ground

Edina Street
31-03-2023, 02:19 PM
Can remember him doing Roy Keane and giving him abuse as he lay on the ground

Can't say that I have too much sympathy for Roy Keane, I think it was he himself that started the trend of players puting in a malicious tackle and then bend over, looking down at them.

Can't say that a dirty tackler necessarily qualifies for a good tackler though. I would say that a good tackler needs to win the ball clearly without conceding fouls in the process.

I don't know if this rules my nomination, Alex Cropley, out, as I never actually saw him play.

CropleyWasGod
31-03-2023, 04:28 PM
I nominate Alex Cropley. I never actually got to see Alex Cropley play as I was still dead during the Turnbull's Tornadoes era]

I'd like to discuss philosophy with you :greengrin

Malthibby
31-03-2023, 04:40 PM

Bugger, was just about to write that...

CropleyWasGod
31-03-2023, 05:30 PM
Bugger, was just about to write that...

You think you were, or did you just dream it pre-birth?

Edina Street
31-03-2023, 05:45 PM

Certainly. We can discuss anything you want. Put a thread up in the dug-out and I'll pour myself a Jack Daniels lemonade.

Donegal Hibby
31-03-2023, 09:36 PM
Willie miller.
Gordon Hunter.
Yogi .
Matty jack.

WeeRussell
31-03-2023, 10:57 PM
David Murphy sprung to mind for me too. I always remember him thumping right into a tackle on Marc Wilson when he was still at Dundee United (liked him too). Right in front of the old east around the half way line.

As hard and fair as you like. Left Wilson sat on the ground holding his leg (didn’t look best pleased actually) and just trotted back into position like always.

CentreLine
01-04-2023, 06:51 AM
John Brownlie for me, without hesitation. Quick, decisive and uncompromising. Who can forget his trademark sliding tackles that seemed to transition, seamlessly from collecting the ball into his momentum bringing him back upright and starting an attack. The best fullback in Scotland in his playing days and world class at his trade.
That team always looked for a forward pass or to drive forward and Onion was no exception.

chippy
01-04-2023, 07:04 AM
John Brownlie for me, without hesitation. Quick, decisive and uncompromising. Who can forget his trademark sliding tackles that seemed to transition, seamlessly from collecting the ball into his momentum bringing him back upright and starting an attack. The best fullback in Scotland in his playing days and world class at his trade.
That team always looked for a forward pass or to drive forward and Onion was no exception.
Brownlie is my 2nd choice but my first choice was his right back replacement until John returned and then he moved to midfield. European Cup winner with Villa. The hardest tackler and best i saw in a Hibs jersey. Desmond Bremner

BILLYHIBS
01-04-2023, 07:05 AM

Yip seemed to have telescopic legs and as you say would bounce up with the ball at his feet

Great memories of him marauding up the right wing with his cavalier runs highlights being 6-2 Airdrieonians away and a fine individual goal 1-0 versus The Hun at Hamdump

Definitely better than Jardine and McGrain imho without realising his full potential due to his unfortunate horrific injury

Legend

chippy
01-04-2023, 07:08 AM
Yip seemed to have telescopic legs and as you say would bounce up with the ball at his feet

Great memories of him marauding up the right wing with his cavalier runs highlights being 6-2 Airdrieonians away and a fine individual goal 1-0 versus The Hun at Hamdump

Definitely better than Jardine and McGrain imho without realising his full potential due to his unfortunate horrific injury

Legend
What memories, I agree the best Scottish right back from the 1970s forward

Edina Street
01-04-2023, 09:44 AM
It looks like my distant relative whom I never met and would not know me from Adam, John Brownlie, is beginning to get the vote from the older generation?!

Shrekko
01-04-2023, 09:55 AM
Can probably think of a few more but Gordon Hunter was instinctively the first name that came into by head (from my lifetime) when I saw the thread title.

MikeyS
01-04-2023, 11:08 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned Boozy yet, had a very unique style of tackling but very rarely lost one. Never went to ground, always stayed upright and mostly emerged with the ball.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-04-2023, 11:08 AM
Because he was such a wonderful all round player I think Pat Stanton’s defensive qualities sometimes get overlooked.

I saw Pat deliver many a legitimate crunching tackle on the opposition.

I would say much the same about John Collins, whenever he went in for a slide tackle he inevitably emerged with the ball at his feet.

BSEJVT
01-04-2023, 12:08 PM
Schaedler for me, closely followed by Cropley & Blackley if we are talking absolutely rattling folk in a fair tackle.

None of the others mentioned were shrinking violets but IMO their's was more about timing and nicking the ball.

In a straight all in head-on car crash tackle these guys were unbeatable.

gbhibby
01-04-2023, 12:27 PM

Legend
Agree before the leg break he was imperious. In an interview with Tommy Docherty when asked about the best player in squad he said John Brownlie.

WeeRussell
01-04-2023, 01:41 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Boozy yet, had a very unique style of tackling but very rarely lost one. Never went to ground, always stayed upright and mostly emerged with the ball.

And aways looked like he was going to two-foot someone and get sent-off (without going to ground) 😁

Agreed though. A good combative as well as classy midfielder.

BSEJVT
01-04-2023, 01:53 PM
And aways looked like he was going to two-foot someone and get sent-off (without going to ground) 😁

Agreed though. A good combative as well as classy midfielder.

His getting injured against Kilmarnock and never being the same player afterwards, began the issues with the disintegration of Collins team, although the sale of players didn't help.

Boozy was a great player before that.