PDA

View Full Version : Lee Johnson on summer transfers

Donegal Hibby
30-03-2023, 11:33 PM
Hopefully we get some of our younger players to sign new contracts and some of our senior players like Stevenson to sign as well . Our loan signings won't be so easy to sign though maybe one or two might or another loan deal if possible . Interesting summer ahead for Hibs fans .
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/lee-johnson-drops-hibs-summer-transfer-hint-as-club-could-rekindle-interest-in-january-target-4086396

BS44
31-03-2023, 05:47 AM
Hopefully we get some of our younger players to sign new contracts and some of our senior players like Stevenson to sign as well . Our loan signings won't be so easy to sign though maybe one or two might or another loan deal if possible . Interesting summer ahead for Hibs fans .
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/lee-johnson-drops-hibs-summer-transfer-hint-as-club-could-rekindle-interest-in-january-target-4086396

Third place would make all the difference to our transfer policy.

bingo70
31-03-2023, 06:31 AM

Nothing he says a great surprise really and it’s what we hear most seasons about being prepared early. Only thing I would say is if we are bringing in a DoF with a heavy emphasis on recruitment, would it not make sense for them to be in by now? Be good to get an update from the club about that.

Donegal Hibby
31-03-2023, 09:29 AM
Third place would make all the difference to our transfer policy.

Nothing he says a great surprise really and it’s what we hear most seasons about being prepared early. Only thing I would say is if we are bringing in a DoF with a heavy emphasis on recruitment, would it not make sense for them to be in by now? Be good to get an update from the club about that.
Third or even fourth place would make all the difference , a club in Europe I'd imagine would attract better players more easily.

Probably is the normal stuff we hear most seasons though it's good we are trying to get our current senior and youth players on contracts. The loan signings I think we might have a chance of getting two or three to stay either permanently or another loan deal . Youan's one imo we will need to move quickly on as his performance's won't have gone unnoticed. We also probably have some player's to move on and one's coming back possibly like melkersen , McKay , Tait and doidge too.

Our recruitment in the past has been poor and the club have admitted that it's made mistake's though our last signings like Jeggo , Egan Riley, Hoppe etc etc have all imo been good and while it would be good to have a DOF in I suppose it's more important we take our time and get it right . I agree it would be good to hear a update from the cub on it though.

Nutmegged
31-03-2023, 10:17 AM
Third or even fourth place would make all the difference , a club in Europe I'd imagine would attract better players more easily.

Probably is the normal stuff we hear most seasons though it's good we are trying to get our current senior and youth players on contracts. The loan signings I think we might have a chance of getting two or three to stay either permanently or another loan deal . Youan's one imo we will need to move quickly on as his performance's won't have gone unnoticed. We also probably have some player's to move on and one's coming back possibly like melkersen , McKay , Tait and doidge too.

Our recruitment in the past has been poor and the club have admitted that it's made mistake's though our last signings like Jeggo , Egan Riley, Hoppe etc etc have all imo been good and while it would be good to have a DOF in I suppose it's more important we take our time and get it right . I agree it would be good to hear a update from the cub on it though.

Third, fourth and fifth will be in Europe next season, the difference is 3rd are guaranteed European group stage football until Christmas.

There's no real difference between finishing 4th and 5th

4th - UECL 3rd Rd Qualifier (10th of August)
5th - UECL 2nd Rd Qualifier (27th of July)

Finishing 3rd would be a game changer, straight into the Europa League Play-Offs (24th August), means guranteed Conference League group stage football at the very least and at least €5m in terms of prize money and gate receipts, the later start to the European campaign would also allow us to properly plan for the season early and allow us to focus on the League alone in the early part of the season, no Europe or League Cup games, it would give the club so much more leeway in how we go about our business.

This is what we're up against, not getting third means Aberdeen or Hearts will have that advantage over the summer heading into the new season.

Donegal Hibby
31-03-2023, 01:47 PM
Third, fourth and fifth will be in Europe next season, the difference is 3rd are guaranteed European group stage football until Christmas.

There's no real difference between finishing 4th and 5th

4th - UECL 3rd Rd Qualifier (10th of August)
5th - UECL 2nd Rd Qualifier (27th of July)

Finishing 3rd would be a game changer, straight into the Europa League Play-Offs (24th August), means guranteed Conference League group stage football at the very least and at least €5m in terms of prize money and gate receipts, the later start to the European campaign would also allow us to properly plan for the season early and allow us to focus on the League alone in the early part of the season, no Europe or League Cup games, it would give the club so much more leeway in how we go about our business.

This is what we're up against, not getting third means Aberdeen or Hearts will have that advantage over the summer heading into the new season.
Third place would be fantastic with group stage games and the money on offer though maybe it's just me that thinks it might be to much a ask for us , even though hertz have had a few bad results they have 3 very winnable games in killie , St mirren and Ross county .

PHeffernan
31-03-2023, 10:57 PM

Youan is in the bag.
None of the other loans are an option to buy so won't be available permanently. We might have a chance of getting some of them back on loan until January especially given the opportunity to play European football.
Young guns Aiken, O'Connor and Laidlaw are still to sign contracts and Aiken is away down to Hull this weekend to see what they have to offer.
A high possibility Stevenson will be offered a years extension.
Interesting to see if David Gray gets an extension on his coaching contract.

McGeady, McGregor and Dabrowski are out of contract and will all leave.
Lots of the young guys in the U19's sadly won't be offered contracts either.
As you say lots of Hibs players are out on loan and it will be interesting to see how many of them as well as other fringe players move on.
As ever you need outs to get ins so it will be an interesting summer.

scoopyboy
31-03-2023, 11:43 PM
Youan is in the bag.
None of the other loans are an option to buy so won't be available permanently. We might have a chance of getting some of them back on loan until January especially given the opportunity to play European football.
Young guns Aiken, O'Connor and Laidlaw are still to sign contracts and Aiken is away down to Hull this weekend to see what they have to offer.

As you say lots of Hibs players are out on loan and it will be interesting to see how many of them as well as other fringe players move on.

Are there that many of the under 19 team that haven’t been offered contracts?

CapitalGreen
01-04-2023, 06:57 AM

That’s what I was thinking, only one would maybe be McCulloch I think.

Johnson - 2027
O MacIntyre - 2026
J MacIntyre, Zaid, Megwa, Blaney, Hastie, McAllister & Molitnikov - 2025
Hamilton - 2024

bingo70
01-04-2023, 08:57 AM
Alan Nixon saying he’s doing a story on Hibs tomorrow. Interesting to see what it is.

Heisenberg
01-04-2023, 09:22 AM
Alan Nixon saying he’s doing a story on Hibs tomorrow. Interesting to see what it is.

Guessing it’ll be Jonny Williams.

Donegal Hibby
01-04-2023, 10:11 AM
Guessing it’ll be Jonny Williams.
I see a few stories mentioning we might try to sign him again , know nothing about the guy and wonder what kind a player he is and if he's any good?

bingo70
01-04-2023, 10:20 AM
I see a few stories mentioning we might try to sign him again , know nothing about the guy and wonder what kind a player he is and if he's any good?

Plays as a number 10 I think.

Small, tricky and creative player. Like a lot of these players I think there’s question marks over his consistency and how he would cope with the physicality and speed of the Scottish game. Suspect there’s a decent highlights reel of his best bits but probably a lot of games he’s very quiet.

J-C
01-04-2023, 10:27 AM
Youan is in the bag.

Would be surprised if McGregor leaves, he's a player/coach and will probably retire to carry on in his coaching capacity with the youngsters.

Donegal Hibby
01-04-2023, 10:55 AM
Plays as a number 10 I think.

Small, tricky and creative player. Like a lot of these players I think there’s question marks over his consistency and how he would cope with the physicality and speed of the Scottish game. Suspect there’s a decent highlights reel of his best bits but probably a lot of games he’s very quiet.
Coming from the same club as Mckirdy I'd be slightly worried if he'd adapted to a better league , not saying he's a bad player cause I don't know anything about him though Mckirdy has struggled with stepping up to a better league imo.

MWHIBBIES
01-04-2023, 12:23 PM
Coming from the same club as Mckirdy I'd be slightly worried if he'd adapted to a better league , not saying he's a bad player cause I don't know anything about him though Mckirdy has struggled with stepping up to a better league imo.

He's played in much better leagues than ours already.

PHeffernan
01-04-2023, 01:00 PM

Fortunately not many given the informative post of capital green above.
I think they were a fantastic team in all their European games this season and it would be great if they could continue their journey together.
Loads of Hibs players out of contract in 14 months time and lots of these guys could be ready to take over if we can hold onto them.

Donegal Hibby
01-04-2023, 01:02 PM
He's played in much better leagues than ours already.
Sorry , know nothing about the guy , what leagues has he played in that's better than ours ?

Bridge hibs
01-04-2023, 01:16 PM
Sorry , know nothing about the guy , what leagues has he played in that's better than ours ?

He played for Crystal Palace, Ipswich, Forest, Sunderland, Charlton and Cardiff as well as 33 games for Wales

PHeffernan
01-04-2023, 01:18 PM
Would be surprised if McGregor leaves, he's a player/coach and will probably retire to carry on in his coaching capacity with the youngsters.

There are not many players out of contract this summer and they are the low hanging fruit to move on to make room in the budget for new players and staff.
Daz, SDG, McGeady, Dabrowski, Stevenson, Laidlaw, Aiken and O'Connor are the only players and coaches that I know are out of contract in the summer.

J-C
01-04-2023, 01:28 PM
If Daz gets a new contract offer it is likely to be for a fraction of what he currently earns.
However, there are not many players out of contract this summer and they are the low hanging fruit to move on to make room in the budget for new players and staff.
Daz, SDG, McGeady, Dabrowski, Stevenson, Laidlaw, Aiken and O'Connor are the only players and coaches I know that are out of contract in the summer.

Daz isn't playing 1st team football and has played just a handful of games, he'll have to retire at some point and his wages will obviously drop going unto coaching.

Unseen work
01-04-2023, 01:29 PM
Expecting a lot of movement again, some maybe more difficult than others to move on.

Returning from loan;

Doidge - 1 goal for Killie?
Kenneh - Seems to be doing well on loan and recently capped. Would he get a game next to/ahead of Jeggo, Newell and JDH?
Tait - Surprisingly doesn’t seem to play much now?
Mackay - plays alot, 2 goals and 4 assists. Only 21, could he get a chance?
Melkersen - Think he’s played even less games, don’t think anyone is surprised by that though

You also have guys like Hauge and Delferriere that were out on loan earlier in the season.

I wouldn’t be surprised to try and get all of our current loans back in some capacity and I think we might just manage with Youan (option to buy), Fish and Kuharevych.

MWHIBBIES
01-04-2023, 01:30 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Williams

JohnM1875
01-04-2023, 01:31 PM
We can sign Jonny Williams now for next season right? Pretty sure he's in the last few months of his contract.

Donegal Hibby
01-04-2023, 01:32 PM
He played for Crystal Palace, Ipswich, Forest, Sunderland, Charlton and Cardiff as well as 33 games for Wales
Quite a impressive list of teams apart from Sunderland of course 😂. 33 day caps for Wales as well is good .

bingo70
02-04-2023, 07:14 AM

Nixon tweeted all his stories but you need to pay to be able to read them and there’s no danger I’m doing that.

Looking at the headlines I’m guessing it’s linked to Wigan midfielder that’s wanted both sides of the border or Liverpool sending out young Scot on loan.

Brightside
02-04-2023, 07:16 AM
Low level league rubbish

Bridge hibs
02-04-2023, 07:18 AM
Low level league rubbish

How many times have you seen him play and what kind of midfielder is he ?

Donegal Hibby
02-04-2023, 08:37 AM
Don't know how much truth is in this article about a signing target btw ?
https://the72.co.uk/2023/04/02/fleetwood-town-and-hibernian-set-sights-on-wigan-athletic-midfielder/

Smartie
02-04-2023, 09:12 AM
https://the72.co.uk/2023/04/02/fleetwood-town-and-hibernian-set-sights-on-wigan-athletic-midfielder/

Has he not had a fairly terrible season at Dundee United?

Donegal Hibby
02-04-2023, 09:29 AM
Has he not had a fairly terrible season at Dundee United?
Thought he was good at St mirren and we just missed out on signing him when Ross was manager , didn't workout for him at Wigan and to be honest I've not actually noticed him when we have played Dundee Utd , 3 goals and 2 assists in 24 games this year I think.

eastmainsmsh
02-04-2023, 09:47 AM
Goss and Van Veen would improve our midfield and attack Van veen is underrated

Just_Jimmy
02-04-2023, 09:56 AM
Goss and Van Veen would improve our midfield and attack Van veen is underratedHe's scored 20 ish goals for Motherwell this season. Must be worth a look just on that.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

green day
02-04-2023, 11:23 AM
He's scored 20 ish goals for Motherwell this season. Must be worth a look just on that.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I think Van Veens going to China for a megabucks salary

J-C
02-04-2023, 12:31 PM

Another meh! signing, we don't need more bang average mid/lower level players, we're trying to get rid of ours, not add to them.

Donegal Hibby
02-04-2023, 01:42 PM
Another meh! signing, we don't need more bang average mid/lower level players, we're trying to get rid of ours, not add to them.
I thought when he was at St mirren he looked good for them , scoring 12 in 60 games . He got capped by Ireland and put in a couple of impressive displays , one were he got MOTM and at the time when we missed out on him over paperwork I was disappointed though I tend to agree with you now that he's done nothing of note at Dundee Utd and would doubt he's any better than what we need to move on . Don't know how good Alan Nixon's rumours are though maybe he's just coming up with this cause we tried to sign him before !

Unseen work
02-04-2023, 03:28 PM
Think McGrath would be the perfect fit for us and us for him.

Having strikers like Nisbet and wingers like Youan, Boyle and McGeady would help him flourish. He would also have guys behind him doing the dirty side of the game and he would be the creative spark.

He’d be able to link the play, use our wingers pace to set them away and also drop into gaps. His threat from outside the box would also open up space for others.

At United he is playing in a midfield that doesn’t have a defensive midfielder so they’re often over run. He has a static striker in Fletcher who can’t stretch the game and they don’t have much threat out wide, it closes a lot of his options.

I’d personally be happy with it and think he’d do well.