PDA

View Full Version : Is SJM the best Scottish player since Dalglish?

PatHead
28-03-2023, 11:06 PM
He may not be a world class player like Kenny Dalglish but I can't think of a player who has consistently performed like the Hibs man.
Would fit into any team.

Edina Street
29-03-2023, 04:05 AM
He may not be a world class player like Kenny Dalglish but I can't think of a player who has consistently performed like the Hibs man.
Would fit into any team.

He does not have the skill that John Collins had. One thing that people also might overlook about John Collins is that JC was also very good defensively. Surprisingly John Collins could also have been a professional Rugby player, if he had not chose football. Pat Stanton, in his book, was also of this opinion about John Collins, and stated that John Collins would also have made a very good left back. My one criticism about John Collins was that for all his world class ability, he could sometimes be a bit ineffective, and John McGinn with his own hard working style does seem to be more effective than John Collins.

I also thought similar about Pat McGinlay. There is no doubt that John Collins was a class above Pat McGinlay, but I sometimes felt that Pat McGinlay was more effective than John Collins.

Luckily, it does not really matter who the better player is, because there would be room for both players in the Scotland squad.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2023, 07:00 AM
The only thing SJM has in common with King Kenny is shielding the ball from opposition players with his big erchy

SJM’s form for Scotland has been truly outstanding

I remember’The King’ receiving criticism in some quarters for some of his performances in blue but his world class quality always shone through

Hoping SJM gets the move he richly deserves

hibsbollah
29-03-2023, 07:03 AM
He looked incredible from the highlights I saw. He did go missing in the Ukraine game, so I don’t think the consistency of Dalglish is quite there yet. And of course, very different positions on the pitch. But the fitness power determination are all very similar.

J-C
29-03-2023, 07:56 AM
Being played in his correct position makes a difference.

eastmainsmsh
29-03-2023, 08:19 AM
Like having extra man in team brilliant

Pretty Boy
29-03-2023, 08:21 AM
There is sometimes a tendency among some to see the worst in Scotland teams but this one is packed with talent. Of course there are weaker areas but across the board there is some real quality.

Kieran Tierney is different class and he was sensational last night, if he could get a prolonged period of fitness then he would be something else. He's a close 3rd to McGinn and Porteous when it comes to my favourite Scottish players. Porteous has slotted in well at CB and doesn't look our of place at international level. Hanley was much maligned but he's a rock for Scotland. We have Hickey and Paterson battling it out for the starting spot on the right, both talented, young and playing at a high level then we have Robertson on the left with Tierney able to cover there and if you factor in Josh Doig our 3rd choice LB or LWB is playing in Serie A.

In midfield Callum McGreggor is a massively underrated player for Scotland and you see his quality in a game like last night. McGinn is just different class in a Scotland strip and if you could bottle his aggression, tenacity and energy then you would be a millionaire. McTominay rarely lets Scotland down and will play anywhere for the cause. Those 3 pick themselves really then you have Armstrong and Christie battling it out for the other spot. As back up you have guys like Billy Gilmour, Lewis Ferguson, Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean. All solid options, again a back up for Scotland playing in Serie A seems mental.

Up top Dykes is key to what Scotland do and his goal return isn't shabby either. We probably need a real out and out goalscorer; hopefully Nisbet or Shankland can step up to the plate. I'd also be getting Ben Doak involved now. Give him time with the squad, time off the bench and get him ready to be the main man in 2 or 3 years. If it doesn't work out then so be it.

It's easy to get carried away after a result like last night but this is up there with the best Scotland squads I can remember. If Clarke can get it consistently equaling the sum of it's parts then we should be at a few major tournaments in the coming years.

Stubbsy90+2
29-03-2023, 08:35 AM
100% imo.

Easily the best Scotland player in my lifetime.

superfurryhibby
29-03-2023, 08:51 AM
There is sometimes a tendency among some to see the worst in Scotland teams but this one is packed with talent. Of course there are weaker areas but across the board there is some real quality.

Kieran Tierney is different class and he was sensational last night, if he could get a prolonged period of fitness then he would be something else. He's a close 3rd to McGinn and Porteous when it comes to my favourite Scottish players. Porteous has slotted in well at CB and doesn't look our of place at international level. Hanley was much maligned but he's a rock for Scotland. We have Hickey and Paterson battling it out for the starting spot on the right, both talented, young and playing at a high level then we have Robertson on the left with Tierney able to cover there and if you factor in Josh Doig our 3rd choice LB or LWB is playing in Serie A.

In midfield Callum McGreggor is a massively underrated player for Scotland and you see his quality in a game like last night. McGinn is just different class in a Scotland strip and if you could bottle his aggression, tenacity and energy then you would be a millionaire. McTominay rarely lets Scotland down and will play anywhere for the cause. Those 3 pick themselves really then you have Armstrong and Christie battling it out for the other spot. As back up you have guys like Billy Gilmour, Lewis Ferguson, Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean. All solid options, again a back up for Scotland playing in Serie A seems mental.

Up top Dykes is key to what Scotland do and his goal return isn't shabby either. We probably need a real out and out goalscorer; hopefully Nisbet or Shankland can step up to the plate. I'd also be getting Ben Doak involved now. Give him time with the squad, time off the bench and get him ready to be the main man in 2 or 3 years. If it doesn't work out then so be it.

It's easy to get carried away after a result like last night but this is up there with the best Scotland squads I can remember. If Clarke can get it consistently equaling the sum of it's parts then we should be at a few major tournaments in the coming years.

That's a good summary of where the team is at.

Hopefully Gunn's rise sees us with a top class goalie for years to come. The emergence striker of some quality would boost this side enormously. Dykes and Adams have their merits, but we could do with someone outstanding in that role.

Clarke has to get full credit for what he's doing at Scotland. There have been blips, but it's coming together very nicely. Such a disciplined approach last night, resilient and dogged. Our second half was a great example of how we can play against sides with better players. Spain couldn't keep up the intensity and unravelled after the second goal, becoming a shambles at times. A third goal would not have been an unreasonable reward for us by the end of the match.

Oh aye, McGinn. He's a machine, relentless energy, with skill and power. He's not the most gifted player technically since Dalglish, but he's a massive influence. He's in his prime and Scotland will get the benefit of that over the next couple of years, hopefully in tournaments.

weecounty hibby
29-03-2023, 08:56 AM
I miss him 😢 probably my favourite Hibs player ever. Just about remember Pat, Ally McLeod was my hero growing up, loved Collins, weir, etc. Sir David obviously but Super John as a player and a character is just head and shoulders above in my opinion

MWHIBBIES
29-03-2023, 09:02 AM

Amazing how this myth persists despite so much evidence. Mcginn played poorly many times in his correct position for Villa last season and beginning of this.

Brilliant that he's found his form again though. Great player.

bingo70
29-03-2023, 09:11 AM
He looked incredible from the highlights I saw. He did go missing in the Ukraine game, so I don’t think the consistency of Dalglish is quite there yet. And of course, very different positions on the pitch. But the fitness power determination are all very similar.

Dalglish was before my time but presumably he had some quiet games for Scotland too?

Off on a tangent a wee bit but I remember when I was wee going to the testimonial he played in for Hibs, think it was against Aston Villa? When we left my dad was gushing about him and I remember just saying was that it? He wasn’t even that good! Think it’s probably fair to say I didn’t appreciated what he brought to the party back then.

cameronw-hfc
29-03-2023, 09:31 AM
Amazing how this myth persists despite so much evidence. Mcginn played poorly many times in his correct position for Villa last season and beginning of this.

Brilliant that he's found his form again though. Great player.

And strangely has found his form out on the right wing. That alone should dispell the position myth

hibsbollah
29-03-2023, 09:32 AM
Dalglish was before my time but presumably he had some quiet games for Scotland too?

Off on a tangent a wee bit but I remember when I was wee going to the testimonial he played in for Hibs, think it was against Aston Villa? When we left my dad was gushing about him and I remember just saying was that it? He wasn’t even that good! Think it’s probably fair to say I didn’t appreciated what he brought to the party back then.

I’m sure that’s true, I was only young at the time so can’t recall every game, but he just had that strikers knack for scoring goals out of nothing when he’d been otherwise quiet. (He also knew how to ‘win’ a free kick) And he played with the all round ferocity of a midfielder, so he had value when we didn’t have the ball. Those were the days when Scotland games were often on free to air tv so he was a bit of a household name, him and Zico were the player everyone wanted to be, in our playground anyway :greengrin. And of course, became a Liverpool legend and one of the best in Europe.

Gordy M
29-03-2023, 09:52 AM

Dalglish did get quite a lot of critisism when he played for Scotland, because he didnt have the same impact as he did playing with Liverpool. Proabably due to that Liverpool team probably having better players around him. Tbf the same went for Souness as well around the same time. Its also happened a few times to others, Gary McAllister and Paul McStay spring to mind.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2023, 09:54 AM
Remember going on holiday in ‘77 to Spain and this Liverpool fan spotting my Hibs top asked me if this Dalglish kid was any good?

‘ Buchan on the overlap … Oh ! What a goal ! ‘

Was at Hampden the night he curled in a beauty against Spain on a sodden night his face just lit up like a big beacon with a huge grin both arms out stretched high and wide in the great delight in which he greeted every goal

Quality

wookie70
29-03-2023, 09:54 AM
Dalgleish is in a different class all together from SJM but one thing is sure and that is SJM has dragged this Scotland team through with goals and grit and it now looks like a team full of players who will not leave anything on the park. SJM is a massive part of that for me. The team has lots of quality but for me the big thing is we are playing is the way I want Scotland to play. Make use of Scottish traits like grit and determination and don't try to be something we aren't. We look capable of knocking the ball about too but I think our best quality is energy and togetherness and that is the way we are playing. Steve Clarke deserves huge credit for getting a squad all playing together and looking more like a club team. There is talent, no doubt, but it is the harmony and common purpose that is shining through for me. I also think there is more to come and having the likes of Shankland and Nisbet to give us that penalty box striker who can take a chance also gives us another option if we are chasing a goal. It is so good to be looking forward to watching Scotland again and to get a similar feeling to watching Hibs.

Northernhibee
29-03-2023, 09:55 AM
I don’t think there’s much point comparing him to other players because where he couldn’t do some of the things that John Collins, Kenny Dalglish, or others could do, there are things that SJM does that they likely couldn’t do.

SJM is a bit of a unicorn in footballing terms, not the most skillful but skillful enough to be far from a throwback to days gone by. When he eventually gets too old for the Scotland team (hopefully some time before that happens) I don’t know how you replace him because he’s a pretty unique player.

Kevvy1875
29-03-2023, 09:57 AM
His goal return from midfield makes the case by itself tbh. All the other good things he does just strengthens that view.

WeeRussell
29-03-2023, 11:00 AM

Agree with a lot of your assessment - particularly Tierney being a machine. A real shame he can’t seem to sustain prolonged fitness.

Only minor contentions would be that the midfield doesn’t quite pick itself each game. Jack started on Saturday, and Clarke said as much that he’s got a squad that needs to be utilised across the fixtures pretty much regardless of performances. I was saying last night that it’s funny when Gilmour got into the team we pretty much thought that was him there for good if fit, but didn’t seem to be considered from the bench over these fixtures. We really do have a lot of quality about our squad now.

And Adams is still our first choice striker, albeit not 100% sure if him or Dykes would have got the nod last night had he been fit.

Haven’t seen much of Ben Doak yet but heard great things. I’d agree be good to see him involved soon.

Isn’t Hickey a left back playing on the right? Presumably he’s another ‘ahead’ of Doig right now, depending on other positions and availability. But another exciting young player we’ve got available regardless.

Regards the OP. I’ve said a few times that McGinn is the best player I’ve see in a Scotland shirt, admittedly I’m biased. I think him and Tierney are the most important players to have available when international fixtures come round.

Torto7
29-03-2023, 11:17 AM
I want to see Doig in Ryan Christies position in a friendly. He's playing very high up for Verona. His running power and dribbling causes mayhem. On McGregor he's some player, not big, fast or athletic but his stamina is off the charts when it gets to 70 mins he's still performing like the first minute and he barely misses any games. Rory Wilson and Mebude along with Doak are likely internationals in the next few years as well. We really need wee Gilmour to get a move to a club he will play for week in week out and preferably higher up the pitch than the deep lying role he usually has, Gilmour has a skillset you don't often see in Scottish players.

Pretty Boy
29-03-2023, 11:27 AM
I want to see Doig in Ryan Christies position in a friendly. He's playing very high up for Verona. His running power and dribbling causes mayhem. On McGregor he's some player, not big, fast or athletic but his stamina is off the charts when it gets to 70 mins he's still performing like the first minute and he barely misses any games. Rory Wilson and Mebude along with Doak are likely internationals in the next few years as well. We really need wee Gilmour to get a move to a club he will play for week in week out and preferably higher up the pitch than the deep lying role he usually has, Gilmour has a skillset you don't often see in Scottish players.

Gilmour is another who would do well to get himself abroad. Italy in particular really seems to be looking at Scottish talent now.

He just has a style that would seem custom made for a league like Serie A. I really hope he doesn't come back up the road to Rangers (I'm not sure they could either afford him or if he has any desire to do so but it seems a story that makes the press gossip columns every so often).

SteveHFC
29-03-2023, 11:30 AM
One of the greatest midfielders to ever play for the club.

NAE NOOKIE
29-03-2023, 11:42 AM
I don't know about being the best player, but there's little doubt he's the most popular ... when when was the last time a Scotland player had the crowd singing his name regularly? He has that never say die battling attitude fans love and backs it up with not a little ability, as witness the way he shielded the ball from two players and then played a superb pass to set up an attack last night.

A player loved wherever he plays .... St Mirren, Hibs, Villa and Scotland will all remember him fondly not just as a player but as a person as well ... I saw a wee video on a Villa fan site the other day praising him as the guy who never walks past fans waiting for autographs and selfies outside the stadium.

Because of the high energy his game relies on I can't see him still ripping it up at the highest level past his mid 30s ... but when he does start that drop down ... hopefully back to Hibs :greengrin .... what a career he will have had.

Kato
29-03-2023, 11:43 AM
Dalglish suffered from his rep late70s/early 80 even against the better teams they would double up on him and sometimes have a third player keeping an eye. This meant he seemed anonymous in certain games but the value of playing him was those tactics from the opposition made space for other players. First pick every time for Scotland back IMHO.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Nutmegged
29-03-2023, 11:45 AM
Gilmour is another who would do well to get himself abroad. Italy in particular really seems to be looking at Scottish talent now.

He just has a style that would seem custom made for a league like Serie A. I really hope he doesn't come back up the road to Rangers (I'm not sure they could either afford him or if he has any desire to do so but it seems a story that makes the press gossip columns every so often).

I'd love to see Gilmour in Italy, the problem for him might be his wages, I suspect it'd only be the genuinely tip clubs who could afford him and that might mean he'd be going to yet another team he isn't guaranteed playing time

Shrekko
29-03-2023, 11:57 AM
Could probably make a very strong case for McGinn being a more effective/influential player for Scotland than Kenny was- which is remarkable.

And no... I'm not saying SJM is in the same class as a natural footballer - just that those intangibles he brings to the national side in most games he plays are just what we need as a kind of mid ranking nation.

DH1875
29-03-2023, 12:13 PM
Super John McGinn

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cDO76wwypwM

WeeRussell
29-03-2023, 12:21 PM
Could probably make a very strong case for McGinn being a more effective/influential player for Scotland than Kenny was- which is remarkable.

And no... I'm not saying SJM is in the same class as a natural footballer - just that those intangibles he brings to the national side in most games he plays are just what we need as a kind of mid ranking nation.

Know exactly what you mean. And I actually think he’s more technically talented than some would give him credit for, because of his unorthodox looking style.

He’s got a great touch for instance.

Torto7
29-03-2023, 01:05 PM

Yeah good shout on Italy. Rangers could maybe afford a loan although agree not ideal for his development. Ajax was rumoured before he moved to Brighton.

Fergus52
29-03-2023, 03:40 PM

Last two games for Scotland he's basically been playing as an inside forward on the right (albeit a very defensive one coming deep and central against Spain).

I'd never call that his best position though.

Fergus52
29-03-2023, 03:42 PM
Agree with a lot of your assessment - particularly Tierney being a machine. A real shame he can’t seem to sustain prolonged fitness.

Only minor contentions would be that the midfield doesn’t quite pick itself each game. Jack started on Saturday, and Clarke said as much that he’s got a squad that needs to be utilised across the fixtures pretty much regardless of performances. I was saying last night that it’s funny when Gilmour got into the team we pretty much thought that was him there for good if fit, but didn’t seem to be considered from the bench over these fixtures. We really do have a lot of quality about our squad now.

And Adams is still our first choice striker, albeit not 100% sure if him or Dykes would have got the nod last night had he been fit.

Haven’t seen much of Ben Doak yet but heard great things. I’d agree be good to see him involved soon.

Isn’t Hickey a left back playing on the right? Presumably he’s another ‘ahead’ of Doig right now, depending on other positions and availability. But another exciting young player we’ve got available regardless.

Regards the OP. I’ve said a few times that McGinn is the best player I’ve see in a Scotland shirt, admittedly I’m biased. I think him and Tierney are the most important players to have available when international fixtures come round.

He mainly played left back for hearts, but is completely ambidextrous and has been playing right back for Brentford in the prem this season.

Del Boy
29-03-2023, 05:26 PM
Hickey is equally comfortable at left or right back and is going to have a fantastic career.

McGinn has been brilliant for Scotland, but Tierney, Robertson, McGregor and McTominay have all been great for a few years now and are all certainties to start when fit.

Best Scotland squad in 30 years in my opinion.

Hibbyradge
29-03-2023, 05:51 PM
Would fit into any team.

Mibbes aye, mibbes naw.

jacomo
30-03-2023, 02:10 PM

Gilmour seems ambitious and unlikely to return to Scotland anytime soon.

His move to Brighton hasn’t worked out yet but he has very good midfielders ahead of him. If one or both get sold this summer he may find himself first pick.

HoboHarry
30-03-2023, 02:21 PM
Mibbes aye, mibbes naw.
I'm auld enough to know what you did there :greengrin

Hibbyradge
30-03-2023, 02:45 PM
I'm auld enough to know what you did there :greengrin

😃👍

Brightside
30-03-2023, 03:18 PM
Would fit into any team.

Mcgregor is a better player tbh, and probably the closest Scotland have to being World Class.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2023, 04:17 PM
Mcgregor is a better player tbh, and probably the closest Scotland have to being World Class.

It depends on what you mean by better player.

McGregor's contribution to Scotland performances are a fraction of SJMs.

If you had to drop one of those two, it wouldn't be SJM.

greenlex
30-03-2023, 04:19 PM
We were offered Calum McGregor on loan but wanted, and got, Liam Henderson instead. I wonder how things might have turned out if it had been the other way?

Tyler Durden
30-03-2023, 04:21 PM

It's all subjective so not really worth debating but Andy Robertson is surely world class by any measure.

He's arguably the best left back in the world but definitely in the top 3. Davies and Cancelo probably the others. Not sure there is anyone else who gets close to those 3.

Nakedmanoncrack
30-03-2023, 05:05 PM
I don't know about being the best player, but there's little doubt he's the most popular ... when when was the last time a Scotland player had the crowd singing his name regularly? He has that never say die battling attitude fans love and backs it up with not a little ability, as witness the way he shielded the ball from two players and then played a superb pass to set up an attack last night.

A player loved wherever he plays .... St Mirren, Hibs, Villa and Scotland will all remember him fondly not just as a player but as a person as well ... I saw a wee video on a Villa fan site the other day praising him as the guy who never walks past fans waiting for autographs and selfies outside the stadium.

Because of the high energy his game relies on I can't see him still ripping it up at the highest level past his mid 30s ... but when he does start that drop down ... hopefully back to Hibs :greengrin .... what a career he will have had.

:agree:

Has been the most popular Scotland player of his generation for a while, now the most popular I've ever known in 40+ years of watching the national team. Only player to come close was James McFadden who was another who always produced his best performances in a Scotland shirt.

Since452
30-03-2023, 05:58 PM
We were offered Calum McGregor on loan but wanted, and got, Liam Henderson instead. I wonder how things might have turned out if it had been the other way?

Liam takes a better corner.

Brightside
30-03-2023, 06:25 PM
It depends on what you mean by better player.

McGregor's contribution to Scotland performances are a fraction of SJMs.

If you had to drop one of those two, it wouldn't be SJM.

I'll never understand people having this view about McGregors performances for Scotland. He just oozes class and is first pick for us.

gbhibby
30-03-2023, 06:27 PM
It's all subjective so not really worth debating but Andy Robertson is surely world class by any measure.

He's arguably the best left back in the world but definitely in the top 3. Davies and Cancelo probably the others. Not sure there is anyone else who gets close to those 3.
He is not the best left back in the Scotland team.

Brightside
30-03-2023, 06:30 PM

He's up there, but for me not as good as he was a couple of years ago. We have probably the best squad we've ever had. Just not sure I agree with SJM being the best since Dalgliesh.

WeeRussell
30-03-2023, 06:44 PM
I'll never understand people having this view about McGregors performances for Scotland. He just oozes class and is first pick for us.

Very good player. Absolutely not first pick.

WeeRussell
30-03-2023, 06:46 PM

Also correct. Great to have so much quality that we are even able to have these arguments though.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2023, 06:52 PM

Tierney is a great player, but he isn't first choice at his club. Zinchenko is certainly one of the best left backs in the world on his current form.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2023, 06:56 PM

I disagree.

McGinn is the first name on the teamsheet.

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2023, 07:37 PM
I disagree.

Got to agree with Brightside, McGregor for me is our best player alongside Tierney with SJM close behind.

And Gunn is the first name on the team sheet. :greengrin

superfurryhibby
30-03-2023, 07:50 PM
I disagree.

For me too, no contest between the two, McGinn has been a more effective player for Scotland, by a long way.

In terms of technical ability there have been lots of better footballers for Scotland since Dalglish but in terms of overall contribution, McGinn has been very good.

Pretty Boy
30-03-2023, 08:00 PM
I always think McGregor is one of those players who will always be a bit under appreciated by fans of Scottish football. We sometimes struggle to see the best in players like him, see also Paul McStay or Barry Ferguson (immediately ducks for cover). There's a definite preference for your more blood and thunder types.

There was a guy in the pub on Tuesday moaning about McGregor from 1st to last. 'All he does is pass it sideways', 'boring', 'Callum McSideways'. I'm convinced his eyes must have been painted on because no one who's football knowledge fills more than the back of a fag packet could possibly think that.

McGregor absolutely ran the show when Celtic beat us at ER recently. He was everywhere and if it wasn't against my team it would have been a pleasure to watch. It's a shame he'll probably never leave Celtic and test himself elsewhere. Not a shame for his bank balance or medal collection but it would be good to have seen just how good he could have been. At 29 it's just not going to happen though.

Like BH above I'd rank McGregor and Tierney as our most technically gifted players. Both of them just ooze class. That's not to say they have always been our most effective but they are two for the purist if you like.

superfurryhibby
30-03-2023, 08:04 PM
I always think McGregor is one of those players who will always be a bit under appreciated by fans of Scottish football. We sometimes struggle to see the best in players like him, see also Paul McStay or Barry Ferguson (immediately ducks for cover). There's a definite preference for your more blood and thunder types.

There was a guy in the pub on Tuesday moaning about McGregor from 1st to last. 'All he does is pass it sideways', 'boring', 'Callum McSideways'. I'm convinced his eyes must have been painted on because no one who's football knowledge fills more than the back of a fag packet could possibly think that.

McGregor absolutely ran the show when Celtic beat us at ER recently. He was everywhere and if it wasn't against my team it would have been a pleasure to watch. It's a shame he'll probably never leave Celtic and test himself elsewhere. Not a shame for his bank balance or medal collection but it would be good to have seen just how good he could have been. At 29 it's just not going to happen though.

Mc Stay was a class above MacGregor, for club and country. At the peak of his career he could have played for a top club in any European league. I don’t think MacGregor is at that level.

Pretty Boy
30-03-2023, 08:12 PM
Mc Stay was a class above MacGregor, for club and country. At the peak of his career he could have played for a top club in any European league. I don’t think MacGregor is at that level.

I only saw the latter stages of his career, much of his peak I saw onyl from highlights or matches watched in retrospect but from that limited knowledge I'd agree.

My point was more that he got the same 'Paul McSideways' patter from some fans because he wasn't steaming into tackles and shelling it into the channels at every opportunity. A cursory glance at any Celtic page on social media tells you that those who watched him every week rank him as one of their very best which really settles any debate.

cameronw-hfc
30-03-2023, 08:50 PM

Like BH above I'd rank McGregor and Tierney as our most technically gifted players. Both of them just ooze class. That's not to say they have always been our most effective but they are two for the purist if you like.

Mcgregor is unfortunately an outstanding player. Good for Scotland, crap as a Hibs fan though. He's also a real leader, I think he could play at a much higher level.

Tyler Durden

Maybe if Tierney was playing season after season for a top team. Of course Tierney is incredible on his day. Credit to Clarke for getting the best out of them both

B.H.F.C
There are two players in the team, for me, that transform the way we play and, if they weren’t there, we’d have a big problem. One is McGinn and the other is Tierney. And the funny thing is, I don’t think either are playing in their best or most position.

I thought McGregor was outstanding the other night but I think he’s struggled at times for Scotland over the years. Less so in more recent times.I think we have other players can come in, or we could tweak things in his absence. But the impact Tierney (who plays that position brilliantly) and McGinn (with his goal threat) is almost irreplaceable with what we have, for me.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2023, 09:01 PM
Got to agree with Brightside, McGregor for me is our best player alongside Tierney with SJM close behind.

And Gunn is the first name on the team sheet. :greengrin

Without McGinn, McGregor doesn't see anywhere as much ball. The amount of possession SJM gets, and keeps, is phenomenal.

Very good re Gunn.

ErinGoBraghHFC
30-03-2023, 09:09 PM

McGregor is a great player, personally think he’s a bit ****in boring tbh, but then most centre mids would be in that Celtic team, they seem to constantly have the ball at the edge of the box with teams backed right up against a wall. He’s clearly a very talented guy and a real leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
30-03-2023, 09:17 PM
I was quite late to the party with McGregor as I didn’t see much in him earlier in his career. Not sure whether he’s improved beyond recognition or I’ve learned to appreciate him but I now think he’s a top notch player. He’s been outstanding in a good Scotland team and possibly the best player in an excellent Celtic side lately. Maybe he’s one of those who doesn’t look as good with poorer players around him though?

McGinn is a wonderfully versatile player. Whilst I like him playing centrally and getting from box to box - his “Hibs” position - the reality is that he has the skill set, the fitness and the personality to make a good fist of it in almost any position.

WeeRussell
30-03-2023, 10:07 PM
I only saw the latter stages of his career, much of his peak I saw onyl from highlights or matches watched in retrospect but from that limited knowledge I'd agree.

My point was more that he got the same 'Paul McSideways' patter from some fans because he wasn't steaming into tackles and shelling it into the channels at every opportunity. A cursory glance at any Celtic page on social media tells you that those who watched him every week rank him as one of their very best which really settles any debate.

I’m no having social media pages settling any debate, least of all Celtic social media pages!! 😁

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2023, 06:55 AM
Without McGinn, McGregor doesn't see anywhere as much ball. The amount of possession SJM gets, and keeps, is phenomenal.

Very good re Gunn.

Na,I'd say McGinn gets more space because McGregor retains the ball more than anyone else in the side, and that gives McGinn more opportunities to get forward more. I agree with you on Gunn.:wink:

J-C
31-03-2023, 07:17 AM
I always thought McGregor never really turned up for Scotland and left his Celtic form at Parkhead but recently he's been outstanding and has shown why he's the best player in Scotland in his position, the midfield really compliments each other and with Jack and Armstrong we have a very strong midfield as good as any in the competition.

Just_Jimmy
31-03-2023, 07:21 AM
We were offered Calum McGregor on loan but wanted, and got, Liam Henderson instead. I wonder how things might have turned out if it had been the other way?Mcgregor went on loan to Notts County in 13-14. By march 2017 he'd made his 100th celtic appearance.

Why would they be wanting to loan him to Hibs in 2015-16? Doesn't add up.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
31-03-2023, 07:37 AM
Mcgregor went on loan to Notts County in 13-14. By march 2017 he'd made his 100th celtic appearance.

Found it strange as well especially a player who would go on to become Celtic captain and probably their best player from 2019 on but in fairness to the OP it does ring a distant bell

‘ Henderson to deliver! ‘

Stubbsy90+2
31-03-2023, 11:23 AM
Mcgregor went on loan to Notts County in 13-14. By march 2017 he'd made his 100th celtic appearance.

it was definitely rumoured at the time. Looking back though McGregor had played 30 and scored 5 in 14/15 so I’m not sure why it was even a rumour. He was well out our league at that point.

overdrive
31-03-2023, 11:33 AM
Found it strange as well especially a player who would go on to become Celtic captain and probably their best player from 2019 on but in fairness to the OP it does ring a distant bell

‘ Henderson to deliver! ‘

It rings more than a bell with me. I distinctly remember it being said at the time that Celtic offered McGregor. Hibs asked for Henderson instead. Celtic initially refused but Hibs held firm that they wanted Henderson and got him.

BILLYHIBS
31-03-2023, 12:02 PM
It rings more than a bell with me. I distinctly remember it being said at the time that Celtic offered McGregor. Hibs asked for Henderson instead. Celtic initially refused but Hibs held firm that they wanted Henderson and got him.

I believe you

Shrekko
01-04-2023, 10:33 AM
McGregor seems to be that guy folk lazily claim doesn't do much for Scotland (and gets real vitriol from wee daftys on social media) but he's been absolutely outstanding in his role the past 2/3 years. Sets the table for the likes of SJM and McTominay to get forward at will, and controls the game just behind them.

Not saying he necessarily he would be a first pick for any of the Euro giants but he would not look out of place at ANY level. 50 caps already and well on the way to being a Scotland great in what is going to be a very decent international team in the next few years,

Allant1981
01-04-2023, 06:44 PM
Cracking goal tonight for mcginn

WeeRussell
01-04-2023, 07:11 PM
Cracking goal tonight for mcginn

Screamer. And MOTM.

Since90+2
01-04-2023, 07:22 PM
McGregor seems to be that guy folk lazily claim doesn't do much for Scotland (and gets real vitriol from wee daftys on social media) but he's been absolutely outstanding in his role the past 2/3 years. Sets the table for the likes of SJM and McTominay to get forward at will, and controls the game just behind them.

Not saying he necessarily he would be a first pick for any of the Euro giants but he would not look out of place at ANY level. 50 caps already and well on the way to being a Scotland great in what is going to be a very decent international team in the next few years,

McGregor is a good player, exceptional at Scottish League level, but I think it's stretching it to say he could play at ANY level. He's nowhere near good enough for Man City, Bayern Munich ect.

Haymaker
02-04-2023, 12:12 AM
Of course he is, man's better than Zidane. Says it clearly in the song.

Sent from my SM-A426U1 using Tapatalk

SanFranHibs
02-04-2023, 02:57 AM
Of course he is, man's better than Zidane. Says it clearly in the song.

But not obvious to everyone

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/c7X8B2KYDfE

Haymaker
02-04-2023, 02:59 AM
But not obvious to everyone

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/c7X8B2KYDfEAnd that person should be banned from every thing.

pacoluna
02-04-2023, 03:09 AM
I was quite late to the party with McGregor as I didn’t see much in him earlier in his career. Not sure whether he’s improved beyond recognition or I’ve learned to appreciate him but I now think he’s a top notch player. He’s been outstanding in a good Scotland team and possibly the best player in an excellent Celtic side lately. Maybe he’s one of those who doesn’t look as good with poorer players around him though?

McGinn is a wonderfully versatile player. Whilst I like him playing centrally and getting from box to box - his “Hibs” position - the reality is that he has the skill set, the fitness and the personality to make a good fist of it in almost any position.

This is an SJMg thread.