PDA

View Full Version : The Ivan Sproule Debate

Edina Street
26-03-2023, 06:31 PM
I was going to post a thread named "Hibernian's fastest ever player", and post a poll with Ivan alongside other Hibernian sprinters such as Martin Boyle, Gordon Hunter, Gordon Durie, Gordon Smith, Gareth Evans. However, I have changed the title to "The Ivan Sproule Debate" due to the fact that when I went to get some facts together about Ivan Sproule and what actual speed he could run at, I could find none. In fact, he does not even make the top twenty fastest players in the world in most articles on the internet. I personally think this is just poor journalism.

So, I am going to scrap the Hibernian poll, and instead put Ivan Sproule up against the other fastest footballers in the world, as I genuinely think Ivan Sproule would have been the fastest of all of them.

Fastest footballers ever - According to FootySamba
https://footysamba.com/who-is-the-fastest-football-player-of-all-time/

1. Cristiano Ronaldo- 24.854848 MP/H
2. Adama Traore- 23.4797532 MP/H
3. Gareth Bale – 23.03 MP/H
4. Antonio Rudiger– 22.80432 MP/H
5. Jeremie Frimpong- 22.760827 MP/H
6. Jeremiha ST. Juste- 22.760827 MP/H
7. Mykhailo Mudryk- 22.760827 MP/H
8. Ousmane Dembele- 22.74219 MP/H
9. Mohamed Salah- 22.74219 MP/H
10. Moussa Diaby- 22.692476 MP/H
11. Alphonso Davies- 22.692476 MP/H
12. Darwin Nunez Fastest Speed- 22.68005 MP/H
13. Rafael Leao- 22.68005 MP/H
14. Claudio Caniggia- 22.64 MP/H
15. Federico Valverde- 22.55577 MP/H
16. Erling Haaland– 22.55577 MP/H
17. Karim Adeyemi- 22.4315 MP/H
18. Kylian Mbappe- 22.3694 MP/H
19. Theo Hernandez- 22.30723 MP/H
20. Kamaldeen Sulemana- 22.18295 MP/H

According to FeedMeGoal
‹https://feedmegoal.com/top10-fastest/

1. Arjen Robben – 37 KM/H
2. Alphanso Davies – 36.51 KM/H
3. Kylian Mbappe – 36.08
4. Erling Haaland – 36.04
5. Antonio Valencia – 35.1 KM/H
6. Theo Walcott – 35 KM/H
7. Gareth Bale – 34.7 KM/H
8. Cristiano Ronaldo – 33.6 KM/H
9. Leo Messi – 32.5 KM/H
10. Frank Ribery – 30.7 KM/H

I will post a poll now. Who do you think is the fastest footballer of them all?

DIXIHIBS
26-03-2023, 06:46 PM
I must be getting auld...ive never even heard of half these players!!

cabbageandribs1875
26-03-2023, 06:49 PM
i didn't realise Haaland was so quick until i saw him sprint in a man city game just a few weeks back

HibbyAndy
26-03-2023, 06:53 PM
Gareth Evans was rapid but i think Sproule was quicker

Bellerin was quicker than Henry over a 100 yards apparently

Bishop Hibee
26-03-2023, 06:56 PM
Sproule was quick. Other notables for Hibs were Arthur Duncan, Gordon Durie and Didier Agathe.

Edina Street
26-03-2023, 07:00 PM
Sproule was quick. Other notables for Hibs were Arthur Duncan, Gordon Durie and Didier Agathe.

Could probably add Kenny Miller to that list.

But imao Ivan Sproule was on a different list from the rest of the names. Ivan's pace was supernatural.

Jones28
26-03-2023, 07:04 PM
His acceleration and pace are like nothing I’ve ever seen in a Hibs shirt.

Fastest player I’ve seen in person.

DaveF
26-03-2023, 07:08 PM
Sproule was the fastest player I've seen. He roasted everyone he came up against in terms of speed.

Must admit, I dont recall Durie being overly fast but that might just be my memory.

26-03-2023, 07:18 PM
I was going to post a thread named "Hibernian's fastest ever player", and post a poll with Ivan alongside other Hibernian sprinters such as Martin Boyle, Gordon Hunter, Gordon Durie, Gordon Smith, Gareth Evans. However, I have changed the title to "The Ivan Sproule Debate" due to the fact that when I went to get some facts together about Ivan Sproule and what actual speed he could run at, I could find none. In fact, he does not even make the top twenty fastest players in the world in most articles on the internet. I personally think this is just poor journalism.

So, I am going to scrap the Hibernian poll, and instead put Ivan Sproule up against the other fastest footballers in the world, as I genuinely think Ivan Sproule would have been the fastest of all of them.

Fastest footballers ever - According to FootySamba
https://footysamba.com/who-is-the-fastest-football-player-of-all-time/

1. Cristiano Ronaldo- 24.854848 MP/H
2. Adama Traore- 23.4797532 MP/H
3. Gareth Bale – 23.03 MP/H
4. Antonio Rudiger– 22.80432 MP/H
5. Jeremie Frimpong- 22.760827 MP/H
6. Jeremiha ST. Juste- 22.760827 MP/H
7. Mykhailo Mudryk- 22.760827 MP/H
8. Ousmane Dembele- 22.74219 MP/H
9. Mohamed Salah- 22.74219 MP/H
10. Moussa Diaby- 22.692476 MP/H
11. Alphonso Davies- 22.692476 MP/H
12. Darwin Nunez Fastest Speed- 22.68005 MP/H
13. Rafael Leao- 22.68005 MP/H
14. Claudio Caniggia- 22.64 MP/H
15. Federico Valverde- 22.55577 MP/H
16. Erling Haaland– 22.55577 MP/H
17. Karim Adeyemi- 22.4315 MP/H
18. Kylian Mbappe- 22.3694 MP/H
19. Theo Hernandez- 22.30723 MP/H
20. Kamaldeen Sulemana- 22.18295 MP/H

According to FeedMeGoal
‹https://feedmegoal.com/top10-fastest/

1. Arjen Robben – 37 KM/H
2. Alphanso Davies – 36.51 KM/H
3. Kylian Mbappe – 36.08
4. Erling Haaland – 36.04
5. Antonio Valencia – 35.1 KM/H
6. Theo Walcott – 35 KM/H
7. Gareth Bale – 34.7 KM/H
8. Cristiano Ronaldo – 33.6 KM/H
9. Leo Messi – 32.5 KM/H
10. Frank Ribery – 30.7 KM/H

I will post a poll now. Who do you think is the fastest footballer of them all?

This guy! 🤔

https://i.ibb.co/DVcSZXN/6788fee1507f7806ea834e44934a9aeb-crop-exact.jpg (https://ibb.co/6n9fkh2)

Edina Street
26-03-2023, 07:21 PM
This guy! 🤔

https://i.ibb.co/DVcSZXN/6788fee1507f7806ea834e44934a9aeb-crop-exact.jpg (https://ibb.co/6n9fkh2)

Usain Bolt? Perhaps he was faster than Ivan Sproule. But couldn't Ivan have been an Olympic sprinter if he had not chose football? I am sure I read somewhere that he could have been. Can't find the source any more though.

Glory Lurker
26-03-2023, 07:23 PM
Never had more faith in a player to win a one on one than I did in Ivan. It wasn't even faith, it was a given - first spell, anyway.

But maybe AOB was faster? The lack of the end result has maybe skewed my thinking?

Donegal Hibby
26-03-2023, 07:37 PM
Ivan sproule definitely the fastest player I seen at Hibs . Huns couldn't live with him when he got his hattrick at Ibrox, Scott brown looked nippy enough then too :greengrin.
https://youtu.be/N5lIvoRWsGo

cameronw-hfc
26-03-2023, 07:38 PM
Usain Bolt? Perhaps he was faster than Ivan Sproule. But couldn't Ivan have been an Olympic sprinter if he had not chose football? I am sure I read somewhere that he could have been. Can't find the source any more though.

The only player I've seen that could rival for pace Ivan was Bellerin when he burst through at Arsenal. He did chose football over 100m sprinting, not really quick now due to injuries but his first few seasons at arsenal he was frightenly quick. I remember one interception he made and he must have made up 40 yards on the boy to get back and make the tackle

Only 40 seconds worth here but before his knee injury he was rapid

https://youtu.be/tVEZMedIaq8

I also think Boyle has lost half a yard of pace from his first knee injury at Hibs but its turned him into a better player. He's still rapid, but I remember his first season he was Ivan like with his pace, was almost unbelievable at times how quick he was, although I think losing half a yard has made him a much better player as he no longer relies on it as much

Paul1642
26-03-2023, 07:51 PM
Ivan’s speed was superhuman and easily one of my all time favourites. That list is just lazy and clearly only measures recent players from the top leagues.

Without any bias I am certain the Sproule was faster than Ronaldo by yards and I bet there have been countless others not in the top leagues to have been faster.

cameronw-hfc
26-03-2023, 07:55 PM
Ivan’s speed was superhuman and easily one of my all time favourites. That list is just lazy and clearly only measures recent players from the top leagues.

Without any bias I am certain the Sproule was faster than Ronaldo by yards and I bet there have been countless others not in the top leagues to have been faster.

Mbappe and Hernandez being so low shows this list up. I think Adama is the quickest on that list followed by those two, it's a strange one. Valverde is absolutely rapid as well

Mick O'Rourke
26-03-2023, 08:03 PM
George McNeill from Turnent,! who older supporters here will remember at Hibs in the mid 60s, was a World Professional Sprint Champion.

George disqualified from representing UK in amateur athletic events as he had played sport as a pro (paid)

I know sprint times have got faster since George's day .But he was fast !

He recorded quicker times than the top Olympic runners of that era.
He also beat Olympic champion,the American Tommy Smith
(we older ones remember Tommy's black glove clenched fist at the medal ceremony)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_McNeill_(sprinter)

So George is the fastest man to play for Hibs or any team, apart from Bolt.!

J-C
26-03-2023, 08:15 PM
Must be a shout out for Boyle for this, when fit he's one of the most rapid players I've seen, Sproule also.

J-C
26-03-2023, 08:18 PM
George McNeill from Turnent,! who older supporters here will remember at Hibs in the mid 60s, was a World Professional Sprint Champion.

George disqualified from representing UK in amateur athletic events as he had played sport as a pro (paid)

He also beat Olympic champion,the American Tommy Smith (clenched fist)

Used to go and see him running the New Years day sprint at Musselburgh race course.

McSwanky
26-03-2023, 08:18 PM
If we're pitching Sproule as one of the fastest players of all time, then Alan O'Brien must be off the charts...

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Edina Street
26-03-2023, 08:20 PM
Sproule was the fastest player I've seen. He roasted everyone he came up against in terms of speed.

Must admit, I dont recall Durie being overly fast but that might just be my memory.

I seem to remember a lot of the old boys that will mostly be dead now, state that watching Gordon Durie run down the right wing brought back memories of Gordon Smith. So he must have been fast.

I do believe Gordon Durie suffered a bad injury whilst at Hibs though, and a lot of people said at the the time he was still good when he recovered, but not quite the same player as he was. Perhaps he lost a bit of pace.

Mick O'Rourke
26-03-2023, 08:21 PM
Used to go and see him running the New Years day sprint at Musselburgh race course.

Indeed J-C
Powderhall dog track before that on NYD event
Run for Fun!!

Sproule ,O'Brien,Durie ?
They woodnae catch George !

Pretty Boy
26-03-2023, 08:22 PM
Bizarrely the only player I can recall always seeming to be able to manage Sproule's pace was Aberdeen era Michael Hart.

There was a game against Aberdeen when Calderwood switched Hart to the left of their defence to match up against Sproule and he never got a kick. He was then played on the left the next time we played them.

Sadly he was slower than a week in jail by the time we signed him.

Edina Street
26-03-2023, 08:26 PM
If we're pitching Sproule as one of the fastest players of all time, then Alan O'Brien must be off the charts...

If only we had some actual stats to settle this with. Because just like I thought Andy Goram was one of the best goalkeepers in the world whilst still playing for Hibs, and Russell Latapy was one of the best attacking midfielders in the world whilst playing for Hibs, I seriously believe that Ivan Sproule was the fastest footballer in the world whilst playing for Hibs. Though I would like to find some stats to make a definite comparison with other contenders.

Mibbes Aye
26-03-2023, 08:30 PM
As mentioned above, Hector Bellerin was ridiculously fast for a spell with Arsenal.

I’m a little disappointed that we don’t seem to be discussing Lewis here though. He is probably past his career-best but he could move at his peak.

I recall a home game against Rankgers, a few years back now where Lewis starting deep in his own half, absolutely bombed it up the wing supporting an attack, ending up in their box or thereabouts. The Huns won the ball back and immediately counter-attacked down their right. Having just sprinted the length of the pitch in one direction, Lewis did it all over again, racing Nicky Clark the other way.

I think the ball went out or ended up with the keeper and Lewis just stopped, hands on hips, leaning forward, taking massive gulps of air, looking like he had been hit in the stomach with a sledgehammer. Ten or twenty seconds later and he was off and running again...

Donegal Hibby
26-03-2023, 08:36 PM

(we older ones remember Tommy's black glove clenched fist at the medal ceremony)

He certainly was fast , another one I've been checking up on . Thanks Mick 👍.
https://youtu.be/GjYlwCZPiY4

J-C
26-03-2023, 08:39 PM
Indeed J-C
Powderhall dog track before that on NYD event
Run for Fun!!

Sproule ,O'Brien,Durie ?
They woodnae catch George !

Still holds the world 120yd record.

Edina Street
26-03-2023, 08:40 PM

Thanks for that. Another player I have never heard of whom we can award an accolade to.

Hibernian's hardest ever man - John McNamee
Hibernian's fastest ever man - George McNeill

I still suspect that Ivan Sproule at his peak would dispute this though.

ancient hibee
26-03-2023, 09:18 PM

George could have given them all a start. He usually had to in his races.

Soldiersteve
26-03-2023, 09:20 PM
I seem to remember a lot of the old boys that will mostly be dead now, state that watching Gordon Durie run down the right wing brought back memories of Gordon Smith. So he must have been fast.

I do believe Gordon Durie suffered a bad injury whilst at Hibs though, and a lot of people said at the the time he was still good when he recovered, but not quite the same player as he was. Perhaps he lost a bit of pace.
Does nobody else think Peter Marinello was super fast?

greenginger
26-03-2023, 09:24 PM

I remember George McNeill and Arthur Duncan having a 100yard spring challenge at a pre season fun day at Easter Road in the early 80’s .

Arthur got a 20 yard start handicap but George beat him easily without getting out of first gear

Of course George was a fully trained professional sprinter by then , big difference from a fast footballer.

ancient hibee
26-03-2023, 09:24 PM

Memories of Gordon Smith? Probably on the lines of “if only he could play like Gordon Smith”:greengrin

Smith wasn’ t particularly fast -just particularly good. By the time I started watching in the early 1950s Willie Ormond was the fastest player in the team.

davemcbain
26-03-2023, 09:27 PM

Thank you for that - was trying to remember who "Ivan Sproule on a motorbike" was. Shame no-one considered how difficult it was to pass the ball whilst riding a motorbikewhen they signed him.

Iain G
26-03-2023, 09:27 PM
Was Didier Agathe not pretty speedy?

Mick O'Rourke
26-03-2023, 09:42 PM
I remember George McNeill and Arthur Duncan having a 100yard spring challenge at a pre season fun day at Easter Road in the early 80’s .

Arthur got a 20 yard start handicap but George beat him easily without getting out of first gear

Of course George was a fully trained professional sprinter by then ,big difference from a fast footballer.

George was the fastest footballer in Scotland and probably anywhere else,during his playing days !
In 1969,he retired from football after a spell with Stirling Albion.
He was record breaking world sprint champion the next year.
But your point is made regards the race with Arthur, many years later.
Indicates, even though it was a fun event, just how fast George was to leave Arthur standing!
I was at that event,too. But had forgotten till you mentioned it.
Bobby Prentice of Hearts i think raced against Arthur .Bobby was quick
Maybe Powderhall in a charity race ?

The opening post posed the question.
Hibernian's fastest ever player ?
The answer is George McNeill
Not as good a footballer though as some other speed merchants mentioned here
Jimmy O knew George well in his early days at ER
Same age

When the players used to do pre season runs from the ground up and round Arthur Seat.
On the way back getting close to the ground, someone would shout
"Last one back is a hairy kipper "
It would never have been George !!

Edina Street
26-03-2023, 10:12 PM
George was the fastest footballer in Scotland and probably anywhere else,during his playing days !
In 1969,he retired from football after a spell with Stirling Albion.
He was record breaking world sprint champion the next year.
But your point is made regards the race with Arthur, many years later.
Indicates, even though it was a fun event, just how fast George was to leave Arthur standing!
I was at that event,too. But had forgotten till you mentioned it.
Bobby Prentice of Hearts i think raced against Arthur .Bobby was quick
Maybe Powderhall in a charity race ?

The opening post posed the question.
Hibernian's fastest ever player ?
The answer is George McNeill
Not as good a footballer though as some other speed merchants mentioned here.

Actually, I thought it was pretty much general consensus amongst Hibs fans that Ivan Sproule was the fastest Hibernian footballer ever. That is why I skipped the process of making this thread only about fastest Hibs players, and jumped straight to presenting Ivan amongst the fastest footballers in the world. However your historical knowledge of Hibernian is first class, and I am glad that yet again you have taught me something new, and I concede that it is entirely probable that George McNeill was faster than Ivan Sproule, which must have been a sight to behold, because Ivan's speed always made me gasp!

ehf
26-03-2023, 10:27 PM
Paul Cairney.

Dunbar Hibee
26-03-2023, 10:28 PM
Absolutely loved Ivan. Still do infact

O'Rourke3
26-03-2023, 10:33 PM

So George is the fastest man to play for Hibs or any team, apart from Bolt.!I saw him running once at a professional meeting at Meadowbank. I always imagined he was the Alf Tupper of sprinting, feeding on fish suppers etc.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Mick O'Rourke
26-03-2023, 10:35 PM
Actually, I thought it was pretty much general consensus amongst Hibs fans that Ivan Sproule was the fastest Hibernian footballer ever. That is why I skipped the process of making this thread only about fastest Hibs players, and jumped straight to presenting Ivan amongst the fastest footballers in the world. However your historical knowledge of Hibernian is first class, and I am glad that yet again you have taught me something new, and I concede that it is entirely probable that George McNeill was faster than Ivan Sproule, which must have been a sight to behold, because Ivan's speed always made me gasp!
You are quite correct to hail Ivan.
He played a far more prominent role at the club than George .
George didnt really break into the first team,but was at Easter Road for a few years.
Ivan's displays against the hun will go down in Hibs folklore/history.
Memorable and unforgettable.

ekhibee
26-03-2023, 10:41 PM
The fastest player I've seen was Dennis Rommedahl, he was Danish and played for PSV and Ajax amongst other teams.

heidtheba
26-03-2023, 10:46 PM
Sadly, the player I thought was the fastest I ever saw at ER wasn't one of ours. A week after the 'Wayne Foster Derby', it was cold, misty and miserable and we played Dundee United. Jerren Nixon (I think the then DU manager was Ivan Golac? and he had rated Nixon at a ridiculous amount - 15m?). Anyway. Nixon went for the ball like a greased whippet and scored. Didn't do much else in the game (or his career). But by God he was quick. Utterly miserable day.

Edina Street
26-03-2023, 10:54 PM
At the time of posting this YouTube video of 30 fastest sprints in football, I have no idea if Ivan Sproule Is going to be one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLtS3ZnZWEg

B.H.F.C
26-03-2023, 11:02 PM
His third goal for the hat trick at Ibrox was incredible speed. Ricksen must have had a good 7 or 8 yards on him and he made it up over no distance at all. Brown in the same game (before he was turned in to a holding midfielder) absolutely leaving Lovenkrands (who was very quick) for dead at the second goal as well.

gbhibby
27-03-2023, 05:53 AM

Did George not run off scratch 110 metres on a wet track at Meadowbank an insane time which over 100 meters would have broken the 100m world record at the time.

Edina Street
27-03-2023, 06:14 AM

George McNeill (born 19 February 1947) is a Scottish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_people) former world professional sprint champion and the only man to have won both of the most famous professional footraces in the world – the New Year Sprint (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year_Sprint) (1970) in Scotland and the Australian equivalent – the Stawell Gift (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stawell_Gift) (1981). McNeill had previously played professional football (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football) in the Scottish Football League (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Football_League) for Hibernian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernian_F.C.), Greenock Morton (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenock_Morton_F.C.) and Stirling Albion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_Albion_F.C.).

McGruber
27-03-2023, 06:20 AM
Ray Wilkins

McGruber
27-03-2023, 06:22 AM
Remember Mowbray saying he had worked with players as fast as Ivan but Ivan's acceleration over the first 10 yards was electric and the quickest he'd seen

Mick O'Rourke
27-03-2023, 07:47 AM
I saw him running once at a professional meeting at Meadowbank. I always imagined he was the Alf Tupper of sprinting, feeding on fish suppers etc.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Indeed
The similarities in taking on all comers.

The great Alf Tupper..... Tough of the Track

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alf_Tupper

Alf: "well that was some race,George"

George: "it wiz that, Alf, another bluddy dead heat !:"

Alf : Some race George,fancy a chippie?

George: Aye,ok then,Alf,al race ye there !

BILLYHIBS
27-03-2023, 08:01 AM
Arthur Duncan

roc1
27-03-2023, 09:21 AM

Joe Tortolano …. Pretty sure Jack Charlton described him as the fastest he had seen when Joe first made the Hibs first team

Kato
27-03-2023, 09:29 AM
Never seen him in his pomp but going by his rep Joe Baker was no slouch as a youngster.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

where'stheslope
27-03-2023, 09:33 AM
If I remember correctly, did Hertz not sign a flying winger from Belgium, he was fast, but a S***E footballer!!!:greengrin:greengrin

The_Exile
27-03-2023, 09:36 AM
The fastest player I've seen was Dennis Rommedahl, he was Danish and played for PSV and Ajax amongst other teams.

Came on to post this. Saw him live for Charlton around 2005. He is by far the quickest I’ve ever seen. Sproule was rapid but not as quick as Rommedahl, his acceleration to top speed was almost instant.

Mon Dieu4
27-03-2023, 10:06 AM
This could have all been solved if Hibs had taken the time to answer me when I emailed them about 2am one weekend asking how fast Ivan could run 100m, funnily enough I never did get an acknowledgement

Kato
27-03-2023, 10:13 AM
If I remember correctly, did Hertz not sign a flying winger from Belgium, he was fast, but a S***E footballer!!!:greengrin:greengrinDidn't he speed himself onto their injury table as fast as he could?

Mick O'Rourke
27-03-2023, 10:15 AM

It is understandable that many Hibs fans have not heard of George.
It was a long time ago ! And he mostly played for the reserve team.
Most clubs had a reserve team and the reserve league was very competitive back then.
Many fans who could not attend away games would go to Easter Road to watch "the reserves "
So a lot of pensioners and youngsters in the old enclosure !:greengrin (lower west)

So say if Hibs played Celtic away. The reserves would likely play Celtic reserves at home the same afternoon.
The ER pitch back then would get a good pounding, as it was often used during the week for training.

More info on George McNeill

https://speakout.uk/speaker/george-mcneill-speaker-sprinter/

http://www.wonderfools.org/mcneilloftranent

On the reserve team back in the day.
First team players coming back from injury/suspension would maybe get some games in the reserves.

Easter Road back then, being so huge,was like an echo chamber when there was only a wee crowd in attendance.
You could hear individual shouts/comments half way down St Clair Street !

One story is Bertie Auld playing in the reserves was getting it tight from a character in the enclosure.
Bertie could hear every effin word !
He eventually got fed up and ran over to the wall,dug the guy oot,and shouted out.
"Me and you efter the game ,pal"
The place erupted in laughter :greengrin

Onceinawhile
27-03-2023, 10:18 AM
Usain Bolt who used to play in Australia was pretty rapid.

hibsbollah
27-03-2023, 10:24 AM
Ousmane Dembele and Mbappé are the two fastest players I’ve ever seen in the flesh.

Sproule by far the fastest player I’ve seen in Scotland, almost impossible to judge if he could win a footrace with those twa because of the different standards of athlete on the pitch at the same time. The two Frenchmen could also move at pace and change direction with the ball at feet seamlessly, which is the real attribute and which they beat Ivan on.

I recall Lewis Stevenson was regularly timed as the second fastest when Sproule was with the club.

stu in nottingham
27-03-2023, 11:57 AM
Never seen him in his pomp but going by his rep Joe Baker was no slouch as a youngster.

I was going to mention Joe Baker. Saw him as a kid in the mid-1960s playing for Forest and he was like greased lightening. He had amazing acceleration, combined with quick thinking that would take him well clear of defenders.

Kato
27-03-2023, 12:20 PM
I was going to mention Joe Baker. Saw him as a kid in the mid-1960s playing for Forest and he was like greased lightening. He had amazing acceleration, combined with quick thinking that would take him well clear of defenders.That must have been a treat to see him then, even after his accident.

Often in football it's not the speed over 100 or even 50 yards that matters, the acceleration over 10 to 30 yards is everything.

JeMeSouviens
27-03-2023, 12:31 PM
Alex Harris was fast as f before that Motherwell big clogger knackered his ankle. :grr:

gbhibby
27-03-2023, 03:47 PM
I was going to mention Joe Baker. Saw him as a kid in the mid-1960s playing for Forest and he was like greased lightening. He had amazing acceleration, combined with quick thinking that would take him well clear of defenders.
Good shout my dad had the pleasure of playing against Joe when he was farmed out to Armadale, he mentioned how quick Joe was nobody could get anywhere near him. Scored 5 goals against my dad who was in goals that day, he could have easily doubled that as he relaxed after his 5th.

Mick O'Rourke
27-03-2023, 04:29 PM
Good shout my dad had the pleasure of playing against Joe when he was farmed out to Armadale, he mentioned how quick Joe was nobody could get anywhere near him. Scored 5 goals against my dad who was in goals that day, he could have easily doubled that as he relaxed after his 5th.

Superb
What a brilliant memory for your Dad .
Good pub banter :greengrin
"Hey lads ,wait till i tell you about the time Joe Baker put 5 past me !!

When Joe returned to Hibs,Jimmy O' and others called him Guiseppe.
Italian for Joseph . Torino Joe !
Jimmy idolised Joe and would have watched him in his goal scoring record breaking year 59/60
And his dream came true when he played alongside his hero.

Edina Street
27-03-2023, 04:40 PM
Superb

Jimmy idolised Joe.
And his dream came true when he played alongside his hero

Joe Baker was also my father's favourite player, along with Gordon Smith.

I remember once my father fancied taking in an English FA cup tie. He chose Wrexham v Arsenal. So off we went to Wales. Before the match I had been sat next to him in a pub that was full of Arsenal supporters, and my father turned to them and asked: "So what do you think of Joe Baker then"?. The Arsenal supporters all looked at each other, and one replied: "who"?. My father was a bit disappointed and he did not bother explaining whom Joe Baker was. Instead he turned to me and said: "Pfft, what type of Arsenal supporters are these that have never heard of one of their record goalscorers of all time"?. I think my father was extremely happy when at full-time the match ended Wrexham 2-1 Arsenal.

Mick O'Rourke
27-03-2023, 04:55 PM
Joe Baker was also my father's favourite player, along with Gordon Smith.

I remember once my father fancied taking in an English FA cup tie. He chose Wrexham v Arsenal. So off we went to Wales. Before the match I had been sat next to him in a pub that was full of Arsenal supporters, and my father turned to them and asked: "So what do you think of Joe Baker then"?. The Arsenal supporters all looked at each other, and one replied: "who"?. My father was a bit disappointed and he did not bother explaining whom Joe Baker was. Instead he turned to me and said: "Pfft, what type of Arsenal supporters are these that have never heard of one of their record goalscorers of all time"?. I think my father was extremely happy when at full-time the match ended Wrexham 2-1 Arsenal.

Shocking
Then again as was with the England squad in Joes first spell at Hibs.
Although they had players like Jimmy Greaves up front ,too many of the ignorant ones,Joe was a Jock playing for an inferior Scottish football team.
Good article which also details Joe's England debut.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/12/07/how-joe-baker-one-of-britains-most-underrated-strikers-saw-his-career-turn-after-a-tumultuous-year-at-torino/

Kato
27-03-2023, 05:32 PM
Shocking
Then again as was with the England squad in Joes first spell at Hibs.
Although they had players like Jimmy Greaves up front ,too many of the ignorant ones,Joe was a Jock playing for an inferior Scottish football team.
Good article which also details Joe's England debut.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/12/07/how-joe-baker-one-of-britains-most-underrated-strikers-saw-his-career-turn-after-a-tumultuous-year-at-torino/https://youtu.be/_uLb31pq7WY

Bakers debut for England, a goal and an assist.

the_ginger_hibee
27-03-2023, 06:31 PM
https://youtu.be/_uLb31pq7WY

Bakers debut for England, a goal and an assist.

Great footage, thanks for sharing! How close was Joe to a call-up to the 66' squad, anyone have any insight?

gbhibby
27-03-2023, 07:24 PM
Superb

Jimmy idolised Joe and would have watched him in his goal scoring record breaking year 59/60
And his dream came true when he played alongside his hero.
Further to that Mick my dad found out that he was a cousin once removed related to Joe and Gerry Baker. He met Joe about 3 years after when he visited some relations in Wishaw I only saw Joe play in his second coming, wish I had seen him play at his peak.

EdinMike
27-03-2023, 09:18 PM
I wonder if Ivan was playing now in his prime, with the advancements in such a short time in medical and sports science how fast he would be.

It’s not weird to see Caniggia there as I do remember his footwork being mesmerising.

ancient hibee
27-03-2023, 09:30 PM
Great footage, thanks for sharing! How close was Joe to a call-up to the 66' squad, anyone have any insight?

It was believed he was he was in the preliminary 40 that Alf Ramsay had drawn up but it was never published and of course he didn’t make the final cut.

Kato
27-03-2023, 10:46 PM
It was believed he was he was in the preliminary 40 that Alf Ramsay had drawn up but it was never published and of course he didn’t make the final cut.Joe was injured, as was Jimmy Greaves closer to the tourney. I think Joe got his last cap from Ramsey early 1966.

stu in nottingham
27-03-2023, 10:55 PM
Joe was pretty much at the peak of his powers still in that era. After a spell with Arsenal of 3-4 seasons where he scored heavily, (his scoring records there stood for years) he was transferred to Forest to the Forest faithful's disbelief and amazement in 1966. He quickly became a folk hero at the City Ground due to his exploits and his memory still is. He carried on his rick vein of scoring form until he was injured badly by Brian Labone of Everton and was never quite the same again, sadly. Cherished memories, I feel fortunate to have seen this great Hibs Hero at something like his best.

ErinGoBraghHFC
27-03-2023, 11:19 PM
Paul Cairney.

I mean, he’d have left me in a cloud of dust but I’m fond of a drink and a packet of players so that’s no surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kato
27-03-2023, 11:37 PM
Joe was pretty much at the peak of his powers still in that era. After a spell with Arsenal of 3-4 seasons where he scored heavily, (his scoring records there stood for years) he was transferred to Forest to the Forest faithful's disbelief and amazement in 1966. He quickly became a folk hero at the City Ground due to his exploits and his memory still is. He carried on his rick vein of scoring form until he was injured badly by Brian Labone of Everton and was never quite the same again, sadly.

Forest contending for a League and Cup double at the time iirc?

Game is here. Baker tackled at 3.50secs.

https://youtu.be/U_ZoUJiqens

hibsbollah
28-03-2023, 08:21 AM

Amazing footage, thank you.

Mick O'Rourke
28-03-2023, 09:44 AM
Further to that Mick my dad found out that he was a cousin once removed related to Joe and Gerry Baker. He met Joe about 3 years after when he visited some relations in Wishaw I only saw Joe play in his second coming, wish I had seen him play at his peak.

I met Joe socially with my brother.
Also his brother Gerry,who you know was no slouch in the goal scoring stakes, came to our house a couple of times when giving Jimmy a lift home from training. My hero at the time along with The Rebel.(Eric Stevenson.my profile pic)
Our old man came from Lanark,so i have relatives/cousins near Wishae and neighbouring towns.
Jimmy and i went to Joe's funeral at St Patrick's in Wishaw.

stu in nottingham
28-03-2023, 12:02 PM

Terrific footage, many thanks.

They were indeed, it was nip and tuck through the season and what probably scuppered Forest's hopes were that brutal tackle by that b***tard Labone on Joe. They finished runners-up, four points behind Man Utd and lost to Spurs in the F Cup semi-final.

Labone is still hated at the City Ground for that incident by the way. Without their talisman, Joe, things began to falter. Joe never again found his former form and it was a sad and slow decline from the world class striker he had been. Heartbreaking really.

Mick O'Rourke
28-03-2023, 12:25 PM
Terrific footage, many thanks.

They were indeed, it was nip and tuck through the season and what probably scuppered Forest's hopes were that brutal tackle by that b***tard Labone on Joe. They finished runners-up, four points behind Man Utd and lost to Spurs in the F Cup semi-final.

Labone is still hated at the City Ground for that incident by the way. Without their talisman, Joe, things began to falter. Joe never again found his former form and it was a sad and slow decline from the world class striker he had been. Heartbreaking really.

How threads grow legs ,eh?
From Ivan To Joe !
He was indeed world class in his prime.
Indeed ,England did well in 1966 ! .... and had good strikers,of course.
With Greaves, Hurst and Roger Hunt.
Where they at the time of the England Squad selection for the finals all better than Joe? ��

Dilemma for Ramsey,but guess he got the Final correct.
Hurst instead of Greaves.

PS
Now had var been around then :greengrin

Edina Street
28-03-2023, 12:35 PM
Few goals here of Joe Baker in a Hibs strip. (Apologies if it has already been posted).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFR_ebmDv1o

stu in nottingham
28-03-2023, 12:44 PM
How threads grow legs ,eh?
From Ivan To Joe !
He was indeed world class in his prime.
Indeed ,England did well in 1966 ! .... and had good strikers,of course.
With Greaves, Hurst and Roger Hunt.
Where they at the time of the England Squad selection for the finals all better than Joe? ��

Dilemma for Ramsey,but guess he got the Final correct.
Hurst instead of Greaves.

PS
Now had var been around then :greengrin

If Joe had been playing the ball would have actually gone over the line. :wink:

Speaking of speed, just imagine a forward pair of Joe Baker and Denis Law at Torino - they wouldn't have come much quicker than that!

BILLYHIBS
28-03-2023, 12:56 PM
Few goals here of Joe Baker in a Hibs strip. (Apologies if it has already been posted).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFR_ebmDv1o

My Dad said

“ Joe Baker was the greatest thing since sliced bread “

Sounds familiar

lugz
28-03-2023, 01:27 PM
Not sure if he was as fast as Sproule but Scott Brown was extremely quick during his time with us. One lasting memory is from the sproule hatty where brown runs away from lovenkrands (who himself was very quick) with the ball at his feet, incredible.

hibsbollah
28-03-2023, 01:33 PM
Not sure if he was as fast as Sproule but Scott Brown was extremely quick during his time with us. One lasting memory is from the sproule hatty where brown runs away from lovenkrands (who himself was very quick) with the ball at his feet, incredible.

:agree: Speed WITH the ball is the real trick.

lugz
28-03-2023, 02:30 PM
:agree: Speed WITH the ball is the real trick.

Completely agree watching guys such as Messi, Ronaldinho, Mbappe with the ball at their feet is a sight to behold, just gliding past people with ease.