PDA

View Full Version : Director of football

Greencore
21-03-2023, 07:18 PM
Mods, feel free to merge.(just can't find the thread)

Anyone heard anything about potential DOF?

bingo70
21-03-2023, 07:22 PM
There is another thread about it but it keeps dropping off the front page as there’s not much to say really.

FWIW I think it’ll be Steve Kean.

Greencore
21-03-2023, 07:24 PM
There is another thread about it but it keeps dropping off the front page as there’s not much to say really.

FWIW I think it’ll be Steve Kean.

I've actually heard good things about SK when it comes to the youth team. I wouldn't see it as a bad thing if he was appointed, however I hope we go for someone with a bit more experience with Scottish football.

cameronw-hfc
21-03-2023, 07:37 PM
Think it got put on hold over Rons death. Don't think anything has changed ie, still bringing one in, just a setback behind the scenes of sorts.

JammyDoidger
21-03-2023, 07:49 PM
Steve Kean DOF, bring in Kevin Thomson to work with the youth? Heard worse shouts tbf.

Clarence
21-03-2023, 07:56 PM
Steve Kean DOF, bring in Kevin Thomson to work with the youth? Heard worse shouts tbf.

Not many though. KT will be holding out for a role picking up the cones at Murray Park or whatever they call it these days.

Donegal Hibby
21-03-2023, 08:03 PM
He's happy being a pundit for the club he supports on Hun TV .

cameronw-hfc
21-03-2023, 08:32 PM
Still don't think it'll be Keane. If it was, why the wait? It'll be someone else.

Torto7
22-03-2023, 01:33 PM

Thomshun will end up teaching them the words to the sash. He's puke inducing when I hear him on Hun Tv. I get that it's worth money to him but there's a level of crawling one shouldn't resort to. Craig Patterson managed to never reduce himself to their level.

Since452
22-03-2023, 01:36 PM
Don't think it'll be a prominent ex player or manager. Nick Hammond would have been my shout but think he's doing other things now.

Tyler Durden
22-03-2023, 03:45 PM
This is taking far too long, regardless of the challenges faced in the last month.

We’re at the point where the delay is going to really cost us in the summer window

worcesterhibby
22-03-2023, 05:00 PM
Personally I think the insistence on so one with lots of experience of the Scottish league is a mistake, I really can’t see who is a standout candidate, but would love to be corrected. What we desperately need is somone who has ideas beyond the Scottish football “Largs mafia” gravytrain.

bingo70
22-03-2023, 05:04 PM
Personally I think the insistence on so one with lots of experience of the Scottish league is a mistake, I really can’t see who is a standout candidate, but would love to be corrected. What we desperately need is somone who has ideas beyond the Scottish football “Largs mafia” gravytrain.

I agree with the general point however for me, John Park is the stand out candidate. I think he ticks every box BK listed when he have his initial interview about the role.

If he’s not available then I think you’re right. In the recent interview BK did with the podcasts he said there would be flexibility in the criteria though and if someone had good experience then they would be considered.

Donegal Hibby
22-03-2023, 05:33 PM
Don't think it'll be a prominent ex player or manager. Nick Hammond would have been my shout but think he's doing other things now.
Was he not the guy at Celtic that didn't do well?

Lago
22-03-2023, 06:39 PM
Totally, completely agree, this obsession with "someone who knows Scottish football" to me is not relevant, get someone who understands football period.

O'Rourke3
29-03-2023, 10:45 PM
Personally I think the insistence on so one with lots of experience of the Scottish league is a mistake, I really can’t see who is a standout candidate, but would love to be corrected. What we desperately need is somone who has ideas beyond the Scottish football “Largs mafia” gravytrain.On the other hand we've a thread about a loanee from England underestimating the standard and the way the game is played up here. You dont have to be part of the SFA coaching setup to know the type of player you need in the context of our league. So some experience is a requirement. If not you get a team of Velas and Jameses

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Waxy
30-03-2023, 07:28 AM
We need people around who will get the best out of everyone at the club. Sport psychology must help.

bingo70
30-03-2023, 08:12 AM
On the other hand we've a thread about a loanee from England underestimating the standard and the way the game is played up here. You dont have to be part of the SFA coaching setup to know the type of player you need in the context of our league. So some experience is a requirement. If not you get a team of Velas and Jameses

I want to disagree with you as I think it seems crazy to limit ourselves to someone with experience of Scottish Football when there’s a whole world of footballing expertise out there. There would be some brilliant fresh ideas and people with contacts others might not have if we expand our search a bit.

In saying that though, you’re right, there is a tendency to underestimate what is required for Scottish football, especially from people down south.

I suppose we need someone with a good understanding of Scottish football, that doesn’t necessarily mean experience in it though.

I still think it’ll be Steve Kean and we are waiting on the right time to announce it. I’m still not discounting the possibility the club could be sold and that’s what the hold up is.

Jones28
30-03-2023, 08:18 AM

Born-again hun Thomson?

Great player, but no thanks.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2023, 09:04 AM

I'd be interested to hear a few of the "worse shouts" you've heard and from whom.

Jones28
30-03-2023, 09:49 AM
I'd be interested to hear a few of the "worse shouts" you've heard and from whom.

I heard someone say the other day Rishi Sunak deserves to be given a chance.

Actually I think thats still a better shout than bringing Thomson back.

O'Rourke3
30-03-2023, 10:16 AM
I want to disagree with you as I think it seems crazy to limit ourselves to someone with experience of Scottish Football when there’s a whole world of footballing expertise out there. There would be some brilliant fresh ideas and people with contacts others might not have if we expand our search a bit.

In saying that though, you’re right, there is a tendency to underestimate what is required for Scottish football, especially from people down south.

I suppose we need someone with a good understanding of Scottish football, that doesn’t necessarily mean experience in it though.

I still think it’ll be Steve Kean and we are waiting on the right time to announce it. I’m still not discounting the possibility the club could be sold and that’s what the hold up is.I never said only Scottish football....

bingo70
30-03-2023, 10:33 AM
I never said only Scottish football....

Sorry if I’ve picked you up wrong then but what do you mean? I thought your concern was if we don’t get someone with experience of Scottish football we could get someone that underestimates our game and signs the likes of Josh Vela and Tom James.

Not looking for an argument, genuinely curious as it’s an interesting point I think. Scottish football is probably quite unique in some ways but in other ways, it’s still just football.

King Cosell
30-03-2023, 10:39 AM

I haven't heard worse shouts, Kevin Thomson is the worst shout I've ever heard.

Hibstrooper
30-03-2023, 04:00 PM
Wonder if this will still happen or go on back burner now things seem to be going a bit better on the pitch. Season Ticket sales might dictate, if they are low then we will need as much money invested on the pitch as possible.

O'Rourke3
30-03-2023, 09:00 PM
Sorry if I’ve picked you up wrong then but what do you mean? I thought your concern was if we don’t get someone with experience of Scottish football we could get someone that underestimates our game and signs the likes of Josh Vela and Tom James.

Not looking for an argument, genuinely curious as it’s an interesting point I think. Scottish football is probably quite unique in some ways but in other ways, it’s still just football.Simply whoever it is needs to have some understanding of/ or experience in Scotland. About to contradict myself but Postecoglou knew how he wanted his team to play and had the financial clout to bring players he knew. . We don't have the money to bring in those top players, nor the time to get them competitive. Even the stickies got it wrong with Pedro Caixinha...

JimBHibees
31-03-2023, 06:16 AM
Simply whoever it is needs to have some understanding of/ or experience in Scotland. About to contradict myself but Postecoglou knew how he wanted his team to play and had the financial clout to bring players he knew. . We don't have the money to bring in those top players, nor the time to get them competitive. Even the stickies got it wrong with Pedro Caixinha...

To me core is someone that is capable knows the game and can communicate and engage with and be on the same page with key people at the club particularly the coach. While some experience or knowledge of the game here may be desirable should imo be a secondary element to the choice. Personally would think Kean would be a decent shout.

Unseen work
05-04-2023, 03:57 PM
Anyone heard any update?

Transfer rumours seem to be starting and we’re getting close to the end of the season, need one in very very soon.

If they can’t find someone within 3/4 months then that’s a worry.

JeMeSouviens
05-04-2023, 04:09 PM
I heard someone say the other day Rishi Sunak deserves to be given a chance.

Actually I think thats still a better shout than bringing Thomson back.

What does he know about Scottish football? :rolleyes:

bingo70
05-04-2023, 04:15 PM
Anyone heard any update?

Transfer rumours seem to be starting and we’re getting close to the end of the season, need one in very very soon.

BK said hopefully by the end of April I’m sure I read.

marinello59
05-04-2023, 07:49 PM
BK said hopefully by the end of April I’m sure I read.

It must be a pretty extensive search.

CL0762
05-04-2023, 07:54 PM
Anyone heard any update?

Down to 5 candidates.

Final interviews are happening, appointment expected by the end of April.

Unseen work
05-04-2023, 08:21 PM
Down to 5 candidates.

Cheers 👍🏻

Any idea on who the 5 are? Appreciate you might not be able to say who

CL0762
05-04-2023, 08:25 PM
Cheers 👍🏻

Any idea on who the 5 are? Appreciate you might not be able to say who

Unfortunately no idea on names, not even a hint or a teaser.

WestCoastHibby
06-04-2023, 10:06 PM
I read “knows Scottish Football” as having been on the Scottish football merry go round.
Take the blinkers off and spread the net wide

Trinity Hibee
07-04-2023, 06:17 AM
I read “knows Scottish Football” as having been on the Scottish football merry go round.
Take the blinkers off and spread the net wide

Bringing someone in to this role with little or no knowledge of Scottish football wouldn’t be a smart move IMO. Need to have someone who is familiar with the types of players we need to bring in and in my eyes that is young scottish players.

zitelli62
07-04-2023, 08:33 AM
What's craig levien up to these days.

Gmack7
07-04-2023, 08:39 AM

Advising His prodigy hopefully

Hibbyradge
07-04-2023, 10:36 AM
Advising His prodigy hopefully

Religion has no place in football.

GreenGray
09-04-2023, 07:35 PM
Is this still happening? Surely we need to appoint someone soon as you don’t want to go into a summer transfer window without someone who has been in place for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatHead
10-04-2023, 02:52 PM

Hanging about the Hearts shop waiting on his beloved Anne giving him a........,.............call.

cabbageandribs1875
10-04-2023, 03:05 PM
get wee Gogs Strachan :agree:

bring him home i say

:)

cameronw-hfc
10-04-2023, 03:11 PM

bring him home i say

Aye and have Mark Mcghee as our next manager or his son? No thanks. His nepotism is absolutely shocking when in a position of power

Torto7
10-04-2023, 03:14 PM
My mate seems convinced Jolean Lescott is the guy they want not that he'd know tbf.

Ozyhibby
10-04-2023, 03:18 PM

bring him home i say

Hard to think of a worse appointment.

bingo70
10-04-2023, 03:19 PM
My mate seems convinced Jolean Lescott is the guy they want not that he'd know tbf.

Interestingly he’s someone that ticks literally none of the Boxes BK spoke about initially, he is however currently employed by the City group as loans manager so if rumours are to be believed it’s not impossible they could be seeing him in this role.

cabbageandribs1875
10-04-2023, 04:56 PM
Aye and have Mark Mcghee as our next manager or his son? No thanks. His nepotism is absolutely shocking when in a position of power

Hard to think of a worse appointment.

ok then, next :whistle:

jacomo
11-04-2023, 12:30 PM
If we are looking to hire another London geezer with a high opinion of himself then Paul Ince has just become available…

CockneyRebel
11-04-2023, 07:26 PM
Down to 5 candidates.

Hope Pat Nevin is in the mix.

Unseen work
18-04-2023, 09:56 PM
https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/john-hughes-feels-hibs-disrespect-26728542

Yogi saying he applied but never heard anything back at all, then says he heard back saying thanks for your application and we’ll be in touch etc.

Also applied for Motherwell and Aberdeen and got a similar response.

Hibbyradge
18-04-2023, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure I understand what a D.O.F. would bring to Hibs that we haven't already got?

When I say "I'm not sure", I mean, "I don't!" :greengrin

cameronw-hfc
18-04-2023, 11:15 PM
I'm not sure I understand what a D.O.F. would bring to Hibs that we haven't already got?

When I say "I'm not sure", I mean, "I don't!" :greengrin

A good D.O.F can be the most important part of a club. Look at Zorc at dortmund. Getting players like Lewandovski, Hartland, Sancho and Dembele and the fees they got for them(besides Lewa).

Barca one as well. Went from a shocking squad to a very, very strong squad in no time with the guy they appointed last year.

They can lead recruitment and often have a network of scouts they use outwith the club.

For my money, Ragnick is one of the worlds best D.O.F. They are often part of the board, but tend to have a football head. So whilst the rest of the directors will look at things from a business point of view, a sporting director/D.O.F will look at things from both sides and focus on how to use what they have to get the most out of the footballing side of things.

19-04-2023, 02:08 AM
https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/john-hughes-feels-hibs-disrespect-26728542

Yogi saying he applied but never heard anything back at all, then says he heard back saying thanks for your application and we’ll be in touch etc.

Maybe he shouldn't have a go at clubs' players if he might be applying for a job there a couple of years later. 🤔

https://www.facebook.com/bbcsportscotland/videos/468118181210027/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

WeeRussell
19-04-2023, 04:49 AM
Religion has no place in football.

That’s just what Jesus said, sir

CyberSauzee
19-04-2023, 05:28 AM
Are we going full moneyball aka Brighton and Brentford or just doing it half heartedly and getting a 'name' in to appease us?

Trinity Hibee
19-04-2023, 05:58 AM

Just listening to it now on the podcast. Pretty poor if Hibs can’t reply to a former captain and manager when he’s applied for a job.

bingo70
19-04-2023, 06:20 AM
Are we going full moneyball aka Brighton and Brentford or just doing it half heartedly and getting a 'name' in to appease us?

My guess is somewhere in between.

Regarding Yogi, I think it’s poor of the club not to reply to him given his background. I get why not every applicant can get a reply but former managers and players should get a bit more respect IMO. Not a massive deal though in all honesty, seems to be the norm now when applying for jobs.

Billy Whizz
19-04-2023, 06:35 AM
Just listening to it now on the podcast. Pretty poor if Hibs can’t reply to a former captain and manager when he’s applied for a job.

I heard a preview of it. You’d have thought would have at least replied to him, pretty poor if not!
As of Yogi saying he applied for the Dons and United jobs, think he’s stock is low now after the Pars relegation

HibeeSince85
19-04-2023, 06:51 AM
Was it not the end of April BK told a poster we would be making an appointment? We should have one in the door in the next week and a half then.

I still hope it's John Park but you would think if it was him he'd be in by now. I have no idea of his commitments though.

Hibbyradge
19-04-2023, 06:55 AM
My guess is somewhere in between.

Regarding Yogi, I think it’s poor of the club not to reply to him given his background. I get why not every applicant can get a reply but former managers and players should get a bit more respect IMO. Not a massive deal though in all honesty, seems to be the norm now when applying for jobs.

I thought they had replied to say they'd be in touch, no?

bingo70
19-04-2023, 07:03 AM
Was it not the end of April BK told a poster we would be making an appointment? We should have one in the door in the next week and a half then.

I still hope it's John Park but you would think if it was him he'd be in by now. I have no idea of his commitments though.

He’s one of the names in the frame for the head of recruitment job at Rangers apparently.

Who was the poster that spotted the recent connection between Ben Kensell and Brendan MacFarlane who’s now at the City Group on LinkedIn? Any more recent connections for BK that could be a clue?

Trinity Hibee
19-04-2023, 08:05 AM
I thought they had replied to say they'd be in touch, no?

They did send a holding reply but that could have easily been an automated response. not really a reply worthy of someone with his relationship with the club.

Since452
19-04-2023, 09:18 AM
Do we really need one of these? Doesn't seem to be doing Hearts much good.

bingo70
19-04-2023, 09:27 AM
Do we really need one of these? Doesn't seem to be doing Hearts much good.

I was having the same thoughts the other day, I think we do need one but it isn’t the guarantee of success in the recruitment department some think it will be.

Whether people like it or not, recruitment at all clubs is done by a committee now. Rightly or wrongly, the days of managers just getting to sign who they want are long gone. I’ve never really understood the animosity towards the whole committee side of it, just seems like common sense to me and everybody involved will play their own part, whether that’s through stats analysis, scouting, the financials or even just the manager liking someone based on the eye test. Any new director of football is likely to just be another voice on the committee, hopefully it’ll be one with good contacts and ambition though.

I think we need one as there’s not a lot of football experience above the manager, with the ownership at the club being as it is just now, it doesn’t sit right with me that if the owner has football related questions or if they’re concerned about the manager, they need to go to the manager. I think there needs to be someone overseeing the whole football side of the club.

Nicho87
19-04-2023, 09:44 AM
I’d still say

Pat Nevin
John Collins
John Park

bingo70
19-04-2023, 09:52 AM
I’d still say

Pat Nevin
John Collins
John Park

Has Pat Nevin done anything in football recently other than media work?

I’m still holding out hope for a Jonny Foreigner I’ve never heard of before. Somebody who can be a bit revolutionary and bring new ideas to the table and have contacts other clubs in Scotland are less likely to have. I think the Dutch guy at Queens Park is doing a good job so someone like him (but not actually him)

Failing that I think John Park is the obvious choice.

If you’re going to put a gun to my head for a third name I would be interested in what Mark Warburton had to say, he’s about to get punted by West Ham by the sounds of it and I think he was instrumental in setting up the Brentford model that has been so successful. I think he would be better suited to a role like this than a managers job.

Unseen work
19-04-2023, 10:08 AM
I think some think a DoF will miraculously change and improve our recruitment.

However, the DoF could recruit terrible players.

At clubs all over the world they’ll go through phases of recruiting well and poor. Hearts were praised for theirs when they finished 3rd and now savage is getting slated, there was Hibs fans saying he was the type of guy we needed.

Rangers fans hated Ross Wilson.

Ian Gordon in recruitment got dogs abuse, now when you look at some of the signings over the season you’d think they’re pretty good.

The top clubs in the world with all the money to spend get it wrong.

I’m not really sure anyone knows what a DoF does day to day, it just seems like another person to point the finger at when it goes wrong.

bingo70
19-04-2023, 10:15 AM

At clubs all over the world they’ll go through phases of recruiting well and poor. Hearts were praised for theirs when they finished 3rd and now savage is getting slated, there was Hibs fans saying he was the type of guy we needed.

Ian Gordon in recruitment got dogs abuse, now when you look at some of the signings over the season you’d think they’re pretty good.

I’m not really sure anyone knows what a DoF does day to day, it just seems like another person to point the finger at when it goes wrong.

I think Hearts big problem is the guys they’ve paid good money for have totally bombed. The boy kio or whatever it was from Germany and Jorge Grant have been terrible. Has the Japanese lad kicked a ball for them yet? The Australian wonder kid won’t be a cheap loan deal either.

I get all signings are risky but when clubs like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen start to spend relatively decent sums of money on players they need to be exceptional and clearly better than what can be picked up for free.

GreenGray
19-04-2023, 10:17 AM

It’s not just about improving the players we bring in though.

It’s about having someone there as an ever present who knows what kind of football we want to play and who can target players to fit that style.

So when we change managers, like we often do, we are not having to do full on rebuilds every time. Johnson moaned about basically having two former managers squads a DOF will hopefully stop that.

superfurryhibby
19-04-2023, 10:55 AM
Having read about the salary our CEO takes from the club (£320.000/year). I started wondering as to how much money our whole management and senior backroom infrastructure costs. There will be full time or part time posts covering physio, strength and conditioning, goalkeeping, nutrition, coaching at first team and development level.

I appreciate football has moved on a bit since the days of a manager, coach and physio running the show, but do clubs in other countries with a comparable turnover to Hibs have such a plethora of positions?

I wonder why Steve Kean hasn't been considered. He's spent a lifetime in football as player, manager, coach and director of youth football? he's well connected and must surely have credentials for the job (especially compared to some of the names put forward on here, some of whom are guys who have been out of the game for years).

bingo70
19-04-2023, 11:01 AM
Having read about the salary our CEO takes from the club (£320.000/year). I started wondering as to how much money our whole management and senior backroom infrastructure costs. There will be full time or part time posts covering physio, strength and conditioning, goalkeeping, nutrition, coaching at first team and development level.

I appreciate football has moved on a bit since the days of a manager, coach and physio running the show, but do clubs in other countries with a comparable turnover to Hibs have such a plethora of positions?

I wonder why Steve Kean hasn't been considered. He's spent a lifetime in football as player, manager, coach and director of youth football? he's well connected and must surely have credentials for the job (especially compared to some of the names put forward on here, some of whom are guys who have been out of the game for years).

Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if Steve Kean got the job. Probably quite well suited for it too, even if he wouldn’t be the most exciting of names.

I also wonder if BK’s salary last year was so high as he was doing the work of a DoF as well? Might not get as big a bonus this year once the DoF is in place?

GreenGray
19-04-2023, 11:02 AM

I wouldn’t mind if Kean got it. In fact, more I think about it the more it makes sense. He’d already have plenty knowledge about our youth players and who can make the step up.

jeffers
19-04-2023, 11:19 AM
Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if Steve Kean got the job. Probably quite well suited for it too, even if he wouldn’t be the most exciting of names.

I also wonder if BK’s salary last year was so high as he was doing the work of a DoF as well? Might not get as big a bonus this year once the DoF is in place?

As far I was told he’s not being considered for the position, but is doing an excellent job in his current role.

Unseen work
19-04-2023, 11:27 AM
It’s not just about improving the players we bring in though.

It’s about having someone there as an ever present who knows what kind of football we want to play and who can target players to fit that style.

So when we change managers, like we often do, we are not having to do full on rebuilds every time. Johnson moaned about basically having two former managers squads a DOF will hopefully stop that.

Again it comes down to how good that person is though.

What if the manager, who has managed and played at a top level identifies a player or problem area of the team that he wants to strengthen and the DoF goes nah that doesn’t fit in with my plan?

Most will say the same, good attacking football with an intensity, sign good players who we can sell for profit and promote youth. Heard it hundreds of times.

Lennon showed signing some older players he knows and trusts - Stokes, Commons, Holt etc can work wonders.

Johnson said about having two managers squads but most the players and labelled as signings of the recruitment team. So that fits the consistent approach you mentioned, but it’s not worked.

GreenGray
19-04-2023, 11:34 AM
Again it comes down to how good that person is though.

What if the manager, who has managed and played at a top level identifies a player or problem area of the team that he wants to strengthen and the DoF goes nah that doesn’t fit in with my plan?

Most will say the same, good attacking football with an intensity, sign good players who we can sell for profit and promote youth. Heard it hundreds of times.

Lennon showed signing some older players he knows and trusts - Stokes, Commons, Holt etc can work wonders.

Johnson said about having two managers squads but most the players and labelled as signings of the recruitment team. So that fits the consistent approach you mentioned, but it’s not worked.

Yes, I’m not saying that no matter what the DOF is going to work, obviously we have to get the right person in. If the recruitment team had signed better players for those former managers I can’t imagine Johnson would have had as big of an issue.

You could argue that Lennon having the power to sign those players was because we didn’t have a DOF to stop him.

It’ll be important for manager and DOF to be able to work together, I don’t think it’ll be a case of one getting their own way the whole time. Remember DOF is not just focused on recruitment but also the whole football operation, youth etc.

Since452
19-04-2023, 11:55 AM
I wouldn’t mind if Kean got it. In fact, more I think about it the more it makes sense. He’d already have plenty knowledge about our youth players and who can make the step up.

Kean has done a brilliant job with the development departmet so wouldn't be against it.

superfurryhibby
19-04-2023, 12:10 PM
As far I was told he’s not being considered for the position, but is doing an excellent job in his current role.

Interesting, I wonder why not?

Finding someone already employed, potentially adds to the costs of the appointment. Kean is a known quantity in terms of character and he's already part of the senior staff team at Hibs. He's been a successful appointment and has the credentials.

Brightside
19-04-2023, 02:57 PM

I thought Kean also but mainly due to the money being spent on BK at the moment. We really cannot afford to spend 450k in a couple of non playing roles.

Hibernian Verse
19-04-2023, 03:04 PM

There's a thread on the private board that quoted Dempster's salary. IIRC Kensell's is only 10% higher than hers after you adjust for inflation which given his premiership experience seems reasonable. Must be the going rate.

Hibernian Verse
19-04-2023, 03:06 PM
I thought Kean also but mainly due to the money being spent on BK at the moment. We really cannot afford to spend 450k in a couple of non playing roles.

I'm at risk of sounding like a Tory here after two posts defending Kensell's salary but if he continues to increase our turnover like he has then it's difficult to argue that 320k for him plus 130k (in your figures) for a Director of Football is something we can't afford or shouldn't be paying.

Iain G
19-04-2023, 03:10 PM
They did send a holding reply but that could have easily been an automated response. not really a reply worthy of someone with his relationship with the club.

Probably took them a few days to stop pishing themselves with laughter 😁

offshorehibby
19-04-2023, 03:16 PM
A lot of people mentioning Kean and he's not been considered. Did he actually apply for the job?

superfurryhibby
19-04-2023, 03:43 PM
A lot of people mentioning Kean and he's not been considered. Did he actually apply for the job?

Who knows whether he's not been considered or who has applied for the job? My assumption is that also, but I and a few others feel he has the credentials, based on his broad football experience, success at the club thus far and being a current employee.

offshorehibby
19-04-2023, 03:56 PM
Who knows whether he's not been considered or who has applied for the job? My assumption is that also, but I and a few others feel he has the credentials, based on his broad football experience, success at the club thus far and being a current employee.

I don't dispute all the above but if he's not interested in DoF. Maybe he's just found a roll he's happy with and not as much pressure.

Saying that, when DoF was first mentioned he was my first thought

Diclonius
19-04-2023, 04:14 PM
Would be happy with Kean.

CapitalGreen
19-04-2023, 04:17 PM
This would rule Kean out for me - ”We want someone with a recruitment bias, they need to have experience in that area.”

cameronw-hfc
19-04-2023, 04:25 PM
This would rule Kean out for me - ”We want someone with a recruitment bias, they need to have experience in that area.”

Add in the fact he nearly bankrupted Blackburn after being allowed to negotiate contracts etc whilst in charge there. Signed some hilariously poor players as well.

Doing a good job but let's keep him as far away from first team as possible, there's a reason his only 'success' came in India or something. By all means looks like a good coach and is doing well with the kids though.

RyeSloan
19-04-2023, 04:56 PM

Everything can be interpreted I suppose.

To me that’s someone that understands how to negotiate with the clubs and players…in other words landing our targets for the best possible deal.

Others will see it as someone who will be instrumental in the identification of players.

Maybe Hibs see it as both.

A DoF can come in many flavours and it will be interesting what Hibs assign as their responsibilities. For me they should be focussed on the footballing structure and be accountable for having the right people in the right places doing the right things.

That means the manager is still responsible for results, the recruitment team for player ID, the head of development for player progression etc.

But the DoF retains overall ownership of making sure there is the optimum set up for these areas to be joined up and operating as an effective whole.

Lancs Harp
19-04-2023, 05:01 PM
Perhaps simply put the link between the suits and the tracksuits 😀

ancient hibee
19-04-2023, 06:28 PM
Perhaps simply put the link between the suits and the tracksuits 😀

No decent manager is going to allow that. The most important relationship is between chairman and manager.

Smartie
19-04-2023, 08:55 PM
I keep hearing that Kean is doing a great job with the youths.

But if he really was, would we not have players starting to see a glimpse of first team action? And if he was doing a really good job, would we have this weird situation with some of the best young players’ contracts running down?

I don’t know enough about the finer details but there seems to be too big a blockage on that conveyor belt for me to be comfortable that everybody is doing such a great job.

Dmas
20-04-2023, 05:40 AM

But if he really was, would we not have players starting to see a glimpse of first team action? And if he was doing a really good job, would we have this weird situation with some of the best young players’ contracts running down?

I don’t know enough about the finer details but there seems to be too big a blockage on that conveyor belt for me to be comfortable that everybody is doing such a great job.

The young guys have won trophies the last 2 seasons, he’s not the man who offers first team contracts or the man who picks first team squads, it’s unfortunate there hasn’t been more involvement for these young guys but they won’t be the first or last successful youth players not to make the grade it’s a giant step up to make

Hibbyradge
20-04-2023, 09:08 AM

He can be doing a great job by getting the youngsters to punch above their weight, but that doesn't mean they're good enough for the first team, yet. Tbh, they may never get to that level but that's not necessarily a reflection on their coach.

The Modfather
20-04-2023, 10:10 AM
He can be doing a great job by getting the youngsters to punch above their weight, but that doesn't mean they're good enough for the first team, yet. Tbh, they may never get to that level but that's not necessarily a reflection on their coach.

To be fair to Kean it’s still early days, and Johnson also has to take a share of the blame in seemingly not being interested in providing a pathway - Bojang has played more minutes than all the U19s combined. However is Keans remit not to provide a bridge between the U19s and the first team? Rather than just have successful youth teams.

On Keane I’d ask him how many of the youngsters are closer to being first team ready than they were in the summer. Was keeping the team together for Europe, with little to no B team games, better for their development than a season on loan? It’s nice to be able to pat ourselves on the back at the European run but we’ve still got the likes of O’Connor & Laidlaw, as examples, playing at a level they look, from the outside, to have long since outgrown.

The B team fixtures never really materialised and it looks like we’re in the process of unpicking and moving on the development team idea. Like most things at Hibs the last few years, the ideas were good but the execution of them very poor.

I’m not sure I see much being different next season. A bloated squad we need to trim & lots of first team players needing signed. How do we create a pathway next season without the manager taking a short term hit, which isn’t in his or any managers interest, and taking the financial hit of freezing players out to create the pathway.

chippy
20-04-2023, 10:16 AM
To be fair to Kean it’s still early days, and Johnson also has to take a share of the blame in seemingly not being interested in providing a pathway - Bojang has played more minutes than all the U19s combined. However is Keans remit not to provide a bridge between the U19s and the first team? Rather than just have successful youth teams.

On Keane I’d ask him how many of the youngsters are closer to being first team ready than they were in the summer. Was keeping the team together for Europe, with little to no B team games, better for their development than a season on loan? It’s nice to be able to pat ourselves on the back at the European run but we’ve still got the likes of O’Connor & Laidlaw, as examples, playing at a level they look, from the outside, to have long since outgrown.

The B team fixtures never really materialised and it looks like we’re in the process of unpicking and moving on the development team idea. Like most things at Hibs the last few years, the ideas were good but the execution of them very poor.

I’m not sure I see much being different next season. A bloated squad we need to trim & lots of first team players needing signed. How do we create a pathway next season without the manager taking a short term hit, which isn’t in his or any managers interest, and taking the financial hit of freezing players out to create the pathway.
Part of the solution is to join the new B team league in the new 5th tier. That will help many of the players, but some of the better ones need to be in the 1st team pool or out on loan to championship sides

Dmas
20-04-2023, 11:28 AM
Part of the solution is to join the new B team league in the new 5th tier. That will help many of the players, but some of the better ones need to be in the 1st team pool or out on loan to championship sides

I don’t see it being a solution to be honest I think the 2nd part of your post is the route we should be going down if we can get young guys into league teams early then try and move them up the ladder each season it would be more beneficial than playing in this new 5th tier getting lumped up and down of some guy just finished his work

Alfiembra
20-04-2023, 01:28 PM
Just finished listening to the Scottish football podcast on the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fhchp7?origin=uk.co.bbc_sport-app&partner=uk.co.bbc&campaign=cross-promotion

Yogi on saying he applied for the DoF job at Hibs and hasn’t had any response from the club. As much as I like JH I just don’t think he would fit in with the current structure within the club however Hibs should have at least responded to his application even if it’s just to say thanks but no thanks. Also said that he applied for the managers jobs at Motherwell and Aberdeen and similarly got no responses or acknowledgements from the either.

Hibbyradge
20-04-2023, 01:32 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fhchp7?origin=uk.co.bbc_sport-app&partner=uk.co.bbc&campaign=cross-promotion

Yogi on saying he applied for the DoF job at Hibs and hasn’t had any response from the club. As much as I like JH I just don’t think he would fit in with the current structure within the club however Hibs should have at least responded to his application even if it’s just to say thanks but no thanks. Also said that he applied for the managers jobs at Motherwell and Aberdeen and similarly got no responses or acknowledgements from the either.

I thought that he said a reply was sent acknowledging the application.

Why's he running off to the papers to slag us off, though? On the face of it, that's not the kind of person I want directing anything at Hibs.

Partyraiser
20-04-2023, 01:35 PM

I listened to that also. The whole thing was like a glorified linkedin page for Yogi to put forward why he'd be suitable for any job available in Scottish football right now

Trinity Hibee
20-04-2023, 01:38 PM
I thought that he said a reply was sent acknowledging the application.

Why's he running off to the papers to slag us off, though? On the face of it, that's not the kind of person I want directing anything at Hibs.

A reply acknowledging receipt isn’t really a response to the application itself. A former Hibs captain and manager should get a better response than that even if it’s just a no thanks

Hibbyradge
20-04-2023, 01:39 PM
A reply acknowledging receipt isn’t really a response to the application itself. A former Hibs captain and manager should get a better response than that even if it’s just a no thanks

Have Hibs considered it yet?

Trinity Hibee
20-04-2023, 01:46 PM
Have Hibs considered it yet?

I don’t know but I presume you are going to tell me if they have?

Hibbyradge
20-04-2023, 02:02 PM
I don’t know but I presume you are going to tell me if they have?

I've no idea if they have, but they haven't announced a D.O.F. so if they haven't made a decision yet, they wouldn't have sent anything to Hughes.

Even if turns out that it is poor comms from Hibs, Hughes shouldn't be running around bad mouthing us in the media. What's he trying to achieve by doing that?

Trinity Hibee
20-04-2023, 02:08 PM
I've no idea if they have, but they haven't announced a D.O.F. so if they haven't made a decision yet, they wouldn't have sent anything to Hughes.

Even if turns out that it is poor comms from Hibs, Hughes shouldn't be running around bad mouthing us in the media. What's he trying to achieve by doing that?

He’s venting I imagine. Although he didn’t end well at Dunfermline he has won a Scottish cup so is probably entitled to feel he’s due a shot at another team again. Especially when you see the revolving door of managers in the SPFL

I agree it’s probably not the best look when applying for a job.

Onceinawhile
20-04-2023, 02:17 PM
He’s venting I imagine. Although he didn’t end well at Dunfermline he has won a Scottish cup so is probably entitled to feel he’s due a shot at another team again. Especially when you see the revolving door of managers in the SPFL

Or Raith Rovers. Or Hibs.

Iain G
20-04-2023, 02:17 PM

Empty vessels make the most noise, or fitba folk ken what's going on?!

Either way don't really think he is director of football material.

Heisenberg
20-04-2023, 02:20 PM

He’s probably due another shot somewhere but it’s at a level significantly lower than the jobs he’s applying for.

Dalianwanda
20-04-2023, 02:23 PM

He should get the same response as any other applicant. Anything else just shows inconsistency and bias no matter his previous links.

Trinity Hibee
20-04-2023, 02:24 PM
Or Raith Rovers. Or Hibs.

Does any manager end well anywhere? Maybe 1% do but the rest don’t.

Hibernian Verse
20-04-2023, 02:29 PM
Does any manager end well anywhere? Maybe 1% do but the rest don’t.

I was speaking to my mate about this last week. The last time a manager went from Hibs to better things was Tony Mowbray, the time before that was Alex McLeish. Stubbs you could argue left on a high but ultimately fell short in the league and jumped asap to the heady heights of Rotherham.

Unless I'm forgetting anyone.

CallumLaidlaw
20-04-2023, 02:30 PM
I was speaking to my mate about this last week. The last time a manager went from Hibs to better things was Tony Mowbray, the time before that was Alex McLeish. Stubbs you could argue left on a high but ultimately fell short in the league and jumped asap to the heady heights of Rotherham.

Could argue Hecky

Trinity Hibee
20-04-2023, 02:31 PM

Virtually every manager gets sacked for underperforming, a lot of them more than once. It’s is the norm not an abnormality.

Again takes us back to the crazy world of football management and why someone overseeing the football operations, as a DOF, is probably quite important in the modern game. It at least brings some continuity.

Trinity Hibee
20-04-2023, 02:32 PM
Could argue Hecky

We sacked him though for poor performances although I agree he’s gone on to better

Hibernian Verse
20-04-2023, 02:35 PM
Could argue Hecky

Didn't end well here though

SaulGoodman
20-04-2023, 03:15 PM

Has he apologised to Boyle/Hibs yet for slandering him after the match v Ross County?

Trinity Hibee
20-04-2023, 03:22 PM
Has he apologised to Boyle/Hibs yet for slandering him after the match v Ross County?

Eh?

superfurryhibby
20-04-2023, 03:25 PM
He should get the same response as any other applicant. Anything else just shows inconsistency and bias no matter his previous links.

Disagree, Hibs aren't the equalities act and a bit of polite respect bias wouldn't have hurt in the case of an applicant with strong connections to the club.

Brightside
20-04-2023, 03:26 PM
Disagree, Hibs aren't the equalities act and a bit of polite respect bias wouldn't have hurt in the case of an applicant with strong connections to the club.

After listening to the podcast I doubt he will be getting any contact from any CEOs or Chairman. He needs to be looking lower level if he wants back in the game.

weecounty hibby
20-04-2023, 03:27 PM
I'd be amazed to see Yogi in a top league managerial position ever again. And I've no idea why he thinks he is the man for DOF at Hibs. Has he applied for any other roles like that at any other clubs? Yesterday's man I'm afraid. He did well for us as a player, was average at best as our manager. I wouldn't want him back.

SaulGoodman
20-04-2023, 03:28 PM
Eh?

Boyle won a pen v County when Yogi was manager.

Yogi on sport sound after the match said that Boyle conned the ref and he should’ve been wearing speedos.

Seemed to start a weird pattern on Sportscene where they would analyse every incident where Boyle would be fouled.

Trinity Hibee
20-04-2023, 03:37 PM
Boyle won a pen v County when Yogi was manager.

Yogi on sport sound after the match said that Boyle conned the ref and he should’ve been wearing speedos.

Seemed to start a weird pattern on Sportscene where they would analyse every incident where Boyle would be fouled.

Ah right. Sort of rings a bell

Dmas
20-04-2023, 04:27 PM
Yogi surely can’t be serious he’s just throwing his hat about for a job somewhere, when did he last recruit well back in his Falkirk days with the loan guys from arsenal etc? that was about 20yrs ago the fact he was serious when he replaced stokesy with Daryl Duffy should be enough evidence he’s not DOF material

Iain G
20-04-2023, 04:30 PM
Yogi surely can’t be serious he’s just throwing his hat about for a job somewhere, when did he last recruit well back in his Falkirk days with the loan guys from arsenal etc? that was about 20yrs ago the fact he was serious when he replaced stokesy with Daryl Duffy should be enough evidence he’s not DOF material

The old boys network in Scottish football is still rife and guys like yogi have delusions of where they should be working. His recent track record should make it very clear he isn't up to it.

JohnM1875
20-04-2023, 04:33 PM
If Ben Kensell wasn't spouting pish in hospitality the other week, the appointment should be announced soon. End of April he said.

Probably wait until after Saturday. Finish bottom,six announce the DoF and say we know we need to do better and the wheels are in motion. Secure top six keep the good vibes going.

superfurryhibby
20-04-2023, 05:40 PM
After listening to the podcast I doubt he will be getting any contact from any CEOs or Chairman. He needs to be looking lower level if he wants back in the game.

Yogi thinks he still has something to offer to the game. Fair enough, he may well be right, but definitely not at Hibs. However, that wasn't really the point I was making. I just think a politeness says a man who served Hibs well as a player and manager could maybe be given an acknowledgement. There again, dog eat dog world, everyone's so busy, no soul, disconnect etc, etc

Hibbyradge
20-04-2023, 05:43 PM
Yogi thinks he still has something to offer to the game. Fair enough, he may well be right, but definitely not at Hibs. However, that wasn't really the point I was making. I just think a politeness says a man who served Hibs well as a player and manager could maybe be given an acknowledgement. There again, dog eat dog world, everyone's so busy, no soul, disconnect etc, etc

He was given an acknowledgement.

superfurryhibby
20-04-2023, 05:47 PM
He was given an acknowledgement.

Yogi must have forgotten because he was in the Record moaning about not being acknowledged after he sent applications in (not just at Hibs).

Hibbyradge
20-04-2023, 05:48 PM
Yogi must have forgotten because he was in the Record moaning about not being acknowledged after he sent applications in (not just at Hibs).

He said elsewhere that his application was acknowledged.

Hibbyradge
20-04-2023, 05:51 PM

"I have had a reply to say thanks and we will be in touch, that kind of thing."

Stubbsy90+2
20-04-2023, 06:01 PM

"I have had a reply to say thanks and we will be in touch, that kind of thing."

Yeah but it sounds like they’ve never got back in touch. That’s the issue.

He’s kidding himself on if he thinks he was going to get anywhere near that job but I would agree with others. Someone who has the history he has with the club deserves to be told he’s been unsuccessful imo.

Dalianwanda
20-04-2023, 06:03 PM

So folk with strong connections to the club should be shown to get a different approach? How should this past connection be measured? Where to you define strong and cut it off? I don't disagree a polite response to let him know hes been dingied would be the right thing to do (following acknowledgement of his application). I do disagree that someone should be treated any differently anywhere through the recruitment process until a decision is made.

Pretty Boy
20-04-2023, 06:04 PM

He’s kidding himself on if he thinks he was going to get anywhere near that job but I would agree with others. Someone who has the history he has with the club deserves to be told he’s been unsuccessful imo.

Is a lack of further acknowledgement all that unusual? I've applied for many jobs and had an automated email if I was lucky.

Are there many people in senior positions at the club aware of Hughes and his history here? When all is said and done he's just one name among many who have applied for a vacancy and he's not a particularly strong candidate either.

Stubbsy90+2
20-04-2023, 06:08 PM
Is a lack of further acknowledgement all that unusual? I've applied for many jobs and had an automated email if I was lucky.

Are there many people in senior positions at the club aware of Hughes and his history here? When all is said and done he's just one name among many who have applied for a vacancy and he's not a particularly strong candidate either.

To be fair I would argue everyone who applies for a job should get a response to say they’ve been unsuccessful. It’s always been a bug bear of mine.

As for folk at the club knowing who he is, I’d be concerned if they didn’t know who he was given he was our manager not all that long ago, has been involved in Scottish football very recently and attends events for the club etc.

Tyler Durden
20-04-2023, 06:12 PM
The man is a slaver. He should count himself lucky he’s got a job on the radio.

Hibbyradge
20-04-2023, 07:08 PM

Has he been unsuccessful yet?

Brightside
20-04-2023, 09:31 PM
To be fair I would argue everyone who applies for a job should get a response to say they’ve been unsuccessful. It’s always been a bug bear of mine.

As for folk at the club knowing who he is, I’d be concerned if they didn’t know who he was given he was our manager not all that long ago, has been involved in Scottish football very recently and attends events for the club etc.

I’m sure everyone on here has applied for jobs over the years and got nothing back. It’s the norm. If Yogi wants a role in senior football I’d suggest getting into one of the youth programmes and showing what a good coach he is.

superfurryhibby
20-04-2023, 10:25 PM
So folk with strong connections to the club should be shown to get a different approach? How should this past connection be measured? Where to you define strong and cut it off? I don't disagree a polite response to let him know hes been dingied would be the right thing to do (following acknowledgement of his application). I do disagree that someone should be treated any differently anywhere through the recruitment process until a decision is made.

I think I already defined his connection, former player and manager. There can’t be many of them applying?

Is there room for a tiny bit of respect / sentiment in football. That’s the only different treatment I suggested. Call me old fashioned but. I think that kind of gesture isn’t too much to ask for and you agree.

No one’s saying he should be interviewed

The Tubs
20-04-2023, 11:36 PM
I think I already defined his connection, former player and manager. There can’t be many of them applying?

Is there room for a tiny bit of respect / sentiment in football. That’s the only different treatment I suggested. Call me old fashioned but. I think that kind of gesture isn’t too much to ask for and you agree.

If he wants respect from Hibs, he shouldn't go around calling Boyle a diver.

JimBHibees
21-04-2023, 06:11 AM

Don't think he is too respectful to the club mouthing off to the press about it.

21-04-2023, 09:39 AM

Pretty much my thoughts too.

superfurryhibby
21-04-2023, 09:57 AM

Even if it's sometimes true? :greengrin

Unseen work
21-04-2023, 10:34 AM
I thought yogis comments about Boyle were quite funny at the time, did he not say something like Tom Daley would have been proud of it?

I’m sure he had a laugh with Boyle about it after the game too.

No big deal with those comments imo.

Hibbyradge
21-04-2023, 10:45 AM
I thought yogis comments about Boyle were quite funny at the time, did he not say something like Tom Daley would have been proud of it?

I’m sure he had a laugh with Boyle about it after the game too.

No big deal with those comments imo.

Hughes claimed the forward had 'conned' referee John Beaton on the day and stated 'the last time I saw a dive like that the boy had Speedos on' as he criticised Boyle for going down under a challenge from Alex Iacovitti.

But Boyle has defended himself following the criticism from Hughes and insisted Beaton was right to award a spot-kick as Hibernian went on to beat County 2-1 thanks to a Nisbet winner.

Boyle said: “I felt those comments were a bit bizarre at the time and I haven’t commented on them before now but that one up there was a clear penalty...

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/19226425.hibernian-star-martin-boyle-opens-dive-rangers-bizarre-john-hughes-comments/

archie
21-04-2023, 10:51 AM
Based on no evidence whatsoever, my gut feel is that we have a Director of Football, who hasn't been announced for contractual reasons.

PHeffernan
21-04-2023, 11:01 AM
Based on no evidence whatsoever, my gut feel is that we have a Director of Football, who hasn't been announced for contractual reasons.

I reckon it is being held up for strategic reasons and will be announced next week so that if we fail to make top 6 it can help take the heat off.

superfurryhibby
21-04-2023, 11:26 AM
I reckon it is being held up for strategic reasons and will be announced next week so that if we fail to make top 6 it can help take the heat off.

If so, it seems pretty remarkable that their identity has been kept from the people ITK on here and in the media.

CapitalGreen
21-04-2023, 11:34 AM
If so, it seems pretty remarkable that their identity has been kept from the people ITK on here and in the media.

Last week they were holding off making an announcement until after the derby in case we lost.

This week they are apparently holding off until after the St Johnstone game in case we lose.

If we beat St Johnstone, they’ll no doubt then be holding off until after the next derby in case we lose that.

While in reality, nothing has been announced yet because it’s not been finalised yet.

JimBHibees
21-04-2023, 11:36 AM
Last week they were holding off making an announcement until after the derby in case we lost.

This week they are apparently holding off until after the St Johnstone game in case we lose.

If we beat St Johnstone, they’ll no doubt then be holding off until after the next derby in case we lose that.

While in reality, nothing has been announced yet because it’s not been finalised yet.

Source for this?

whiskyhibby
21-04-2023, 11:37 AM
Big Mixu on the Brussels to Edinburgh flight just now 🤔

BoltonHibee
21-04-2023, 11:44 AM
Big Mixu on the Brussels to Edinburgh flight just now [emoji848]

He works for UEFA/ FIFA. The report in the DR a couple of months ago wasn’t accurate, he wasn’t in for that job.

superfurryhibby
21-04-2023, 11:46 AM

Yep, sometimes there is no mystery and the simple explanation is the best explanation

whiskyhibby
21-04-2023, 11:48 AM
He works for UEFA/ FIFA. The report in the DR a couple of months ago wasn’t accurate, he wasn’t in for that job.

That will explain it

Torto7
21-04-2023, 12:58 PM
Big Mixu on the Brussels to Edinburgh flight just now 🤔

He used to stay in Dalgety Bay. Maybe he's still got that house here?

BoltonHibee
21-04-2023, 01:17 PM
He used to stay in Dalgety Bay. Maybe he's still got that house here?

Yes, he lives there

Dalianwanda
21-04-2023, 03:49 PM

Yes i’ve agreed a reply saying he’s not being considered would be the right thing to do (as would for any unsuccessful candidate.)

Whether he’s been with hibs before is neither here nor there in how he’s treated in the process. A consistent approach is the only fair one.

Anyhoo it’s no big deal.