PDA

View Full Version : Sky's analysis of weekend referee decisions

Tyler Durden
20-03-2023, 10:24 AM
Andy Walker on SSN this morning. Says Youan's sending off was a joke, doesn't even think the first was a yellow. Second one he says Youan was fouled.

Doesn't think either of Celtic's were penalties and slates the ref. All good Andy!

But wait for it.........doesn't think Hibs penalty was a pen either :confused: To be fair overall his point is that the bar is set so low for any foul and any contact in the box is being penalised. Also says that Scottish refs apply the rules differently from those down south - totally agree.

Interested to hear what Dermot Gallagher says later....

GRA
20-03-2023, 10:34 AM
Carter-Vickers is fouling Youan and ducks his head to header his boot... he also had Hanlon's arm pinned against him for Celtic's penalty... Imagine how much they'd get methodically reviewed if that was Porto for both those incidents and he was still playing for us :rolleyes: beyond a joke!

Stubbsy90+2
20-03-2023, 10:46 AM
Andy Walker on SSN this morning. Says Youan's sending off was a joke, doesn't even think the first was a yellow. Second one he says Youan was fouled.

Doesn't think either of Celtic's were penalties and slates the ref. All good Andy!

But wait for it.........doesn't think Hibs penalty was a pen either :confused: To be fair overall his point is that the bar is set so low for any foul and any contact in the box is being penalised. Also says that Scottish refs apply the rules differently from those down south - totally agree.

I actually don’t think ours was a penalty either, or at the very least it was soft. Would find it hard to argue with any of what he says.

bingo70
20-03-2023, 11:00 AM
I actually don’t think ours was a penalty either, or at the very least it was soft. Would find it hard to argue with any of what he says.

That’s what LJ said but I don’t get it.

Celtic player is clearly pulling Hanlon back to stop him running. You’re not allowed to do that and is quite clearly a foul? That’s not one you see 10 times every game and isn’t the same as two strong players wrestling each other that you do see every corner.

Feels to me our penalty is just getting lumped in with the other decisions to try and provide a bit balance as otherwise it would just look like we were moaning about a biased ref rather than an incompetent one which is never likely to get much traction, would just look like we were whinging.

blackpoolhibs
20-03-2023, 11:05 AM
Of course ours is a penalty, ffs he's grabbed his shirt and stopped him running? Is shirt pulling not a foul anymore?

I suppose this is not a foul either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfvdtxm_XUg&ab_channel=ManuMarko

Tyler Durden
20-03-2023, 11:08 AM
Of course ours is a penalty, ffs he's grabbed his shirt and stopped him running? Is shirt pulling not a foul anymore?

Yeah every fan and pundit I'd heard from until now agreed ours was a stonewaller.

bingo70
20-03-2023, 11:10 AM
Yeah every fan and pundit I'd heard from until now agreed ours was a stonewaller.

Funny that LJ doesn’t think it was though?

I just don’t get it, was an absolute stone Waller, even if the referee did try and look for a possible angle that would stop him giving it.

Carheenlea
20-03-2023, 11:13 AM

Such incidents are so common that despite such grappling occurring numerous times in each game you tend not to claim for them.
When the new rule first came in we were seeing a ridiculous amount of penalties from corners and the referees seemed to scale back a bit from what they deemed worthy of a penalty.

I was at the game and not one fan around me made a shout for a penalty. It was obviously at other end so not the closest of views, but while it was a surprise to get it, when viewing the TV footage it’s a clear as day shirt pull. Delighted to get the award, but those type of offences aren’t being punished in the same way every week.

GreenNWhiteArmy
20-03-2023, 11:17 AM
Youan bookings correct as was our penalty according to Gallagher. Absolute nonsense

bingo70
20-03-2023, 11:20 AM
Such incidents are so common that despite such grappling occurring numerous times in each game you tend not to claim for them.
When the new rule first came in we were seeing a ridiculous amount of penalties from corners and the referees seemed to scale back a bit from what they deemed worthy of a penalty.

I was at the game and not one fan around me made a shout for a penalty. It was obviously at other end so not the closest of views, but while it was a surprise to get it, when viewing the TV footage it’s a clear as day shirt pull. Delighted to get the award, but those type of offences aren’t being punished in the same way every week.

I disagree, shirt pulling when someone is trying to run is completely different from grappling in the box where both players are at it.

Hibernian Verse
20-03-2023, 11:26 AM
Youan bookings correct as was our penalty according to Gallagher. Absolute nonsense

He probably can't be arsed having his name dragged through the mud on twitter by Celtic fans if he'd called it properly.

gbhibby
20-03-2023, 11:35 AM
Gallagher seems to contradict himself all the time. I have stopped watching this as he is about as consistent as our refs and VAR officials. You can allow a ref watching in real time some leeway but for VAR officials there is no excuse not spotting clear and obvious errors.

NAE NOOKIE
20-03-2023, 12:31 PM
VAR is simply becoming a joke.

How could anybody review the Considine handball in the Killie v St Johnstone game and not give a penalty, it was clear as day FFS. Same with the penalty given to St Mirren against Dundee Utd ... the contact, if there even was any, on Main was so negligible it wouldn't have knocked over a 90 year old on two walking sticks, never mind a unit like him.

It is also time that second yellow cards resulting in a sending off can be appealed .... If you can appeal a straight red why not a second yellow, after all the effect is the same in that you end up a man down and he gets a ban for future games. That would help in cases like Youan's .... in what universe could he possibly have known Carter-Vickers was going to dive over him and try to head the ball 4 feet off the ground? Something McLean for reasons only he could possibly explain chose to ignore.

I do agree with something I saw others mention ..... At the first booking the ref must have been 40 yards away and couldn't possibly have seen any contact, if Youan hadn't made such a good job of making himself look guilty by holding his hands up and checking to see if the player was ok he might not even have been spoken to, never mind booked .... lesson learned Elie.

matty_f
20-03-2023, 12:44 PM

Celtic player is clearly pulling Hanlon back to stop him running. You’re not allowed to do that and is quite clearly a foul? That’s not one you see 10 times every game and isn’t the same as two strong players wrestling each other that you do see every corner.

Feels to me our penalty is just getting lumped in with the other decisions to try and provide a bit balance as otherwise it would just look like we were moaning about a biased ref rather than an incompetent one which is never likely to get much traction, would just look like we were whinging.

Spot on. It's as clear as you like.

My reference point will always be the penalties Rangers got against us where Rocky touched the boy and he went down.

Not one pundit argued against it being a penalty and it was as blatant a dive d you'll see, but because Rocky touched him, that was enough for the penalty.

If that's the bar, Hanlon's isn't even debatable.

matty_f
20-03-2023, 12:45 PM

What was his rationale for the second booking being correct?

matty_f
20-03-2023, 12:46 PM
VAR is simply becoming a joke.

How could anybody review the Considine handball in the Killie v St Johnstone game and not give a penalty, it was clear as day FFS. Same with the penalty given to St Mirren against Dundee Utd ... the contact, if there even was any, on Main was so negligible it wouldn't have knocked over a 90 year old on two walking sticks, never mind a unit like him.

It is also time that second yellow cards resulting in a sending off can be appealed .... If you can appeal a straight red why not a second yellow, after all the effect is the same in that you end up a man down and he gets a ban for future games. That would help in cases like Youan's .... in what universe could he possibly have known Carter-Vickers was going to dive over him and try to head the ball 4 feet off the ground? Something McLean for reasons only he could possibly explain chose to ignore.

I do agree with something I saw others mention ..... At the first booking the ref must have been 40 yards away and couldn't possibly have seen any contact, if Youan hadn't made such a good job of making himself look guilty by holding his hands up and checking to see if the player was ok he might not even have been spoken to, never mind booked .... lesson learned Elie.

VAR has to be changed to look at second yellow cards, otherwise you're as well hoping for a straight red so you can appeal it.

Baader
20-03-2023, 12:50 PM
Having refs on TV give opinion on decisions is a complete waste of time. There's a refs union so you're never going to get them come out and slate decisions and performance despite what they think. Anything controversial they usually try to explain it away, obviously with a bias and consideration to those in their profession. They tend to be more forthright when it's overseas refs in European competition as they won't know them.

Tyler Durden
20-03-2023, 12:53 PM

He didn’t really say it was correct IIRC, they were flying through it and he just referenced that it could potentially be seen as reckless. Think he acknowledged that it could also be construed as a free kick to us.

He did his usual or just making general points to vaguely defend the ref. For example “the referee can’t take into account that it’s a second yellow”.

Nonsense basically

Tyler Durden
20-03-2023, 12:55 PM
Having refs on TV give opinion on decisions is a complete waste of time. There's a refs union so you're never going to get them come out and slate decisions and performance despite what they think. Anything controversial they usually try to explain it away, obviously with a bias and consideration to those in their profession. They tend to be more forthright when it's overseas refs in European competition as they won't know them.

Agreed. “Let’s go to Peter Walton”. Get to *****!

matty_f
20-03-2023, 12:59 PM
He didn’t really say it was correct IIRC, they were flying through it and he just referenced that it could potentially be seen as reckless. Think he acknowledged that it could also be construed as a free kick to us.

He did his usual or just making general points to vaguely defend the ref. For example “the referee can’t take into account that it’s a second yellow”.

Nonsense basically

Sounds about right for him. Reckless rather than dangerous being the argument here. I thought it should have been out free kick but actually if the ref had just played on I don't think anyone would be putting any analysis on the challenge, it could have gone either of neither way, and if he hadn't booked Youan but gave them the foul we'd have more or less accepted it.

Gloucester Hibs
20-03-2023, 01:08 PM
Agreed. “Let’s go to Peter Walton”. Get to *****!

Was a game recently where Peter Walton said he expected a decision to go a certain way, ref then gives the opposite decision. Walton: "yes, because of x, y, z he has arrived at the correct decision". Just admit you were wrong ya f**ny! :rolleyes:

NadeAteMyLunch!
20-03-2023, 01:44 PM
Peter Walton must have the easiest/best gig in the world

Donegal Hibby
20-03-2023, 01:50 PM
A strange one :rolleyes:.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/ex-ref-and-former-hibs-and-celtic-forward-have-say-on-parkhead-incidents-its-a-contact-sport-4071412

hibstag
20-03-2023, 04:24 PM
He probably can't be arsed having his name dragged through the mud on twitter by Celtic fans if he'd called it properly.

That’s how I saw it , they seemed to cut away from his analysis mid speech too in the bit I saw as they rushed through it

Itsnoteasy
20-03-2023, 05:39 PM
St Mirrens penalty at weekend a shocker. Even after a var check.

greenlex
20-03-2023, 05:45 PM
St Mirrens penalty at weekend a shocker. Even after a var check.
It’s possibly the worst VAR decision to date IMO

Gmack7
20-03-2023, 06:00 PM
It’s possibly the worst VAR decision to date IMO

I've not seen it but it must be bad if it's worse than the duk dive at Pittodrie or the foul on Marshall at Ross County

gbhibby
20-03-2023, 06:11 PM
VAR what is it good for? Absolutely nothing, say it again

Roxyhibee
20-03-2023, 06:27 PM

Very good 😂

Stonewall
20-03-2023, 06:32 PM

It's supposed to be a booking.

PatHead
20-03-2023, 09:29 PM
VAR has to be changed to look at second yellow cards, otherwise you're as well hoping for a straight red so you can appeal it.

You would have to look at all bookings. What if they shouldn't have been booked in the first place but the second was a fair cop?

matty_f
20-03-2023, 11:47 PM
You would have to look at all bookings. What if they shouldn't have been booked in the first place but the second was a fair cop?

Player knows they're on a booking already though, so it's just tough luck. First bookings are pretty inconsequential unless you get booked again.

hibsbollah
21-03-2023, 05:40 AM

Kudos for that one.

JimBHibees
21-03-2023, 06:06 AM

Agree strange we have gone done that route though as you say likely trying not to be seen as serial moaners. Starfelt has loads of time to let go Hanlons shirt but chooses not to do so a clear penalty to me. Most embarrassing is that McLean is looking straight at it and sees nothing wrong. Compare with the Celtic one where don't think he has any view of it and gives immediately. He was desperate to even up. No idea why that wasn't reviewed relentlessly as it was very very soft and imo not a clear foul.

McGruber
21-03-2023, 06:16 AM

Same mistaken rationale as the others that try to justify it and mention in same breath as Vassell at Easter Road. High feet and kicked him in the head. Even Johnson with the 5 foot 2 chat.

1 it was more like 3 foot and waist height.

2 He doesn't kick him in the head, Carter Vickers heads him in the foot. What I mean is Vassell is challenging toward the player. Youan is playing the ball and Vickers dives over him into his path (fouling him to do so).
By Gallacher's definition, any head kick is a red - start the game and have folk dive bomb headers at players kicking the ball off the deck, just get your head along the deck.
Total nonesense trying to justify it.

Danderhall Hibs
21-03-2023, 06:35 AM
Same mistaken rationale as the others that try to justify it and mention in same breath as Vassell at Easter Road. High feet and kicked him in the head. Even Johnson with the 5 foot 2 chat.

2 He doesn't kick him in the head, Carter Vickers heads him in the foot. What I mean is Vassell is challenging toward the player. Youan is playing the ball and Vickers dives over him into his path (fouling him to do so).
By Gallacher's definition, any head kick is a red - start the game and have folk dive bomb headers at players kicking the ball off the deck, just get your head along the deck.

To be fair there were a good few posters on here saying any kick to the head is a red card and the player doing the kicking is the one that has to anticipate a challenge coming in after the Vassel one the other week. That doesn’t explain why Youhan only got a yellow though.

Danderhall Hibs
21-03-2023, 06:36 AM
Agree strange we have gone done that route though as you say likely trying not to be seen as serial moaners. Starfelt has loads of time to let go Hanlons shirt but chooses not to do so a clear penalty to me. Most embarrassing is that McLean is looking straight at it and sees nothing wrong. Compare with the Celtic one where don't think he has any view of it and gives immediately. He was desperate to even up. No idea why that wasn't reviewed relentlessly as it was very very soft and imo not a clear foul.

Ref guessed at that one and I assume VAR went for the “attacking player was clever” option. Bit similar to Porteous vs Aberdeen.

matty_f
21-03-2023, 07:36 AM

That's interesting because I didn't (and don't) think it was a booking either, I thought the free kick should have gone our way or, if the ref had played on as her initially did, nobody would have been looking for anything really either way and it wouldn't have been talked about at all.

Rumble de Thump
21-03-2023, 08:08 AM
We need referees who understand the rules and are willing and able to apply them. Until that happens, the rules are irrelevant. In any matches involving Celtic and Sevco the officials will continue to make them up as they go along. It won't change because the football authorities don't want it to change.

Stubbsy90+2
21-03-2023, 08:41 AM
To be fair there were a good few posters on here saying any kick to the head is a red card and the player doing the kicking is the one that has to anticipate a challenge coming in after the Vassel one the other week. That doesn’t explain why Youhan only got a yellow though.

No, there wasn’t. The posts all had reasons given that explained why the Vassel one was a red, not simply that it was a red because it was a kick to the head.

Nutmegged
21-03-2023, 08:42 AM

Same Andy Walker who encourages players to take a dive and 'give the ref a decision to make' anytime there's the slightest contact, a mantra he's been using since Scotsport days, next time he's on commentary he'll be contradicting himself again.

Danderhall Hibs
21-03-2023, 08:49 AM
No, there wasn’t. The posts all had reasons given that explained why the Vassel one was a red, not simply that it was a red because it was a kick to the head.

Aye there was mate - in fact you said

“it really is bizarre that people seem to think being kicked in the head isn’t dangerous which is really what this boils down to”

That was the post - no missing context or selection of words.

Stubbsy90+2
21-03-2023, 08:59 AM
Aye there was mate - in fact you said

“it really is bizarre that people seem to think being kicked in the head isn’t dangerous which is really what this boils down to”

That was the post - no missing context or selection of words.

And what was that in response to? People suggesting Vassels kick wasn’t dangerous? It was also after numerous posts from myself as to why his actions were dangerous.

So aye.. no missing context? You’d be correct in saying that… if it wasn’t for the fact you’d deliberately omitted the whole discussion around why his kick was dangerous that had been previously discussed on that very thread.

Danderhall Hibs
21-03-2023, 09:04 AM
And what was that in response to? People suggesting Vassels kick wasn’t dangerous? It was also after numerous posts from myself as to why his actions were dangerous.

So aye.. no missing context? Good one.

It was in response to someone asking if a boot to the head when the opponent goes to header the ball is dangerous.

Stubbsy90+2
21-03-2023, 09:16 AM
It was in response to someone asking if a boot to the head when the opponent goes to header the ball is dangerous.

And it is. As I’ve said numerous times in response to Youan. The difference in the Vassel one is that he caused the danger by raising his foot to head height. Youan didn’t cause that danger.

Getting kicked in the head is always dangerous, whether that’s in football or on the street, whether it’s at ankle height or head height. The difference in these two situations is that one player was the sole cause of the danger, the other wasn’t.

There was never any suggestion that any kick to the head is a straight red card as you suggested. The context of the Vassel thread makes that pretty clear imo.

Danderhall Hibs
21-03-2023, 09:18 AM
And it is. As I’ve said numerous times in response to Youan. The difference in the Vassel one is that he caused the danger by raising his foot to head height. Youan didn’t cause that danger.

Getting kicked in the head is always dangerous, whether that’s in football or on the street, whether it’s at ankle height or head height.

He kicked him in the head and didn’t take the appropriate measures to reduce the risk.

Maybe this law isn’t as clear cut after all.

Edit - your last sentence was added after I posted. There definitely was that inference.

Stubbsy90+2
21-03-2023, 09:19 AM
He kicked him in the head and didn’t take the appropriate measures to reduce the risk.

Maybe this law isn’t as clear cut after all.

Youan is entitled to play the ball at that height. Vassel wasn’t entitled to play the ball at the height he did.

It’s perfectly clear cut.

Also, there was no inference that any kick to the head was a red. That much is pretty clear but doesn’t suit your agenda.

Danderhall Hibs
21-03-2023, 09:20 AM
Youan is entitled to play the ball. Vassel wasn’t.

It’s perfectly clear cut.

Yeah - sometimes a kick is a red sometimes it isn’t.

Stubbsy90+2
21-03-2023, 09:21 AM
Yeah - sometimes a kick is a red sometimes it isn’t.

See, you’re getting it now.

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2023, 09:22 AM
So its ok to kick someone in the head sometimes.

Danderhall Hibs
21-03-2023, 09:22 AM
See, you’re getting it now.

Which isn’t what was discussed when I suggested it in the Vassel thread. I thought it was only my kids that tried to gaslight me.

Stubbsy90+2
21-03-2023, 09:26 AM
Which isn’t what was discussed when I suggested it in the Vassel thread. I thought it was only my kids that tried to gaslight me.

The thread where people explained numerous times why Vassels actions specifically were dangerous? Yeah, it’s safe to say it was discussed.

Steve-O
21-03-2023, 09:29 AM
So its ok to kick someone in the head sometimes.

Are you suggesting a player could dive head first at someone’s feet as they kick the ball, get kicked in the head, and the kicker would have to be sent off?

Danderhall Hibs
21-03-2023, 09:30 AM
The thread where people explained numerous times why Vassels actions specifically were dangerous? Yeah, it’s safe to say it was discussed.

It was definitely discussed but seems depending on which team that do it the rules can be interpreted differently. Fair enough - at least that’s now been made clear by you.

Danderhall Hibs
21-03-2023, 09:31 AM
Are you suggesting a player could dive head first at someone’s feet as they kick the ball, get kicked in the head, and the kicker would have to be sent off?

Possibly a yellow like on Saturday? Think Stunnsy and others have said the “kicker” had to anticipate.

Stubbsy90+2
21-03-2023, 09:38 AM
It was definitely discussed but seems depending on which team that do it the rules can be interpreted differently. Fair enough - at least that’s now been made clear by you.

You’re tying yourself in knots here. A few minutes ago it wasn’t discussed, now you’re saying it was definitely discussed. :confused:

Your attempts to find something that isn’t there in terms of claiming people declared that any kick to the head is a red are becoming a bit silly now, I’ll leave you to it.

scm70nyd1973
21-03-2023, 09:58 AM

Nope it’s definitely not - did you see how the player left his oversized jersey hanging out of his shorts just hoping it would get pulled - flagrant attempt to lull a player into catching his jersey on an opponent’s hand as he passed him by - cheating, pure and simple - at least that is how most VAR officials seem to view it when it’s a non old firm situation 🤭

Danderhall Hibs
21-03-2023, 10:01 AM
You’re tying yourself in knots here. A few minutes ago it wasn’t discussed, now you’re saying it was definitely discussed. :confused:

Your attempts to find something that isn’t there in terms of claiming people declared that any kick to the head is a red are becoming a bit silly now, I’ll leave you to it.

You’re going to have to. You’ve consumed things so much you’ve tied everyone up in knots I think.

Hibbyradge
21-03-2023, 10:42 AM
Possibly a yellow like on Saturday? Think Stunnsy and others have said the “kicker” had to anticipate.

If a player throws himself to head a ball at someone's feet and gets kicked, it's the diving player who should be punished for dangerous play, not the kicker.

Also, contact is irrelevant when considering dangerous or reckless play although I'm sure referees often wrongly take it into consideration.

My view is that Youan was perfectly entitled to attempt to kick the ball at the height it was. Had he not connected with the Celtic player's head despite his attempt to head it, would Youan still have been booked? If the answer to that is no, then it wasn't dangerous play, even though he did actually catch him.

Mon Dieu4
21-03-2023, 10:47 AM
If a player throws himself to head a ball at someone's feet and gets kicked, it's the diving player who should be punished for dangerous play, not the kicker.

Also, contact is irrelevant when considering dangerous or reckless play although I'm sure referees often wrongly take it into consideration.

My view is that Youan was perfectly entitled to attempt to kick the ball at the height it was. Had he not connected with the Celtic player's head despite his attempt to head it, would Youan still have been booked? If the answer to that is no, then it wasn't dangerous play, even though he did actually catch him.

You are spot on, I'd go as far as to say if Youan never got booked and a free kick just went either way then no one would even be mentioning this at all, it's just one of those things that can happen during a game, the ref highlighted it by Youan getting a second yellow and being sent off for it

hibsbollah
21-03-2023, 10:55 AM
Nope it’s definitely not - did you see how the player left his oversized jersey hanging out of his shorts just hoping it would get pulled - flagrant attempt to lull a player into catching his jersey on an opponent’s hand as he passed him by - cheating, pure and simple - at least that is how most VAR officials seem to view it when it’s a non old firm situation 🤭

:agree: Goading.

Danderhall Hibs
21-03-2023, 11:19 AM
You are spot on, I'd go as far as to say if Youan never got booked and a free kick just went either way then no one would even be mentioning this at all, it's just one of those things that can happen during a game, the ref highlighted it by Youan getting a second yellow and being sent off for it

Totally agree with this.

Danderhall Hibs
21-03-2023, 11:19 AM

I think you’re right - just thought it contradicted the views on the Vaseline thread.

matty_f
21-03-2023, 11:31 AM
That's what I said about it as well, the ref was going to play on initially and only brought it back because of the head knock. If the defender had just got back up nobody would have thought twice about the incident.

scm70nyd1973
21-03-2023, 12:43 PM
:agree: Goading.

Nah just having a bit of a laugh at the absurdity of the so called VAR experts - nothing would surprise me if no foul was given to HIBS if there was a repeat of that video clip had it been another fitba club involved ☹️

Kato
21-03-2023, 12:49 PM
I think you’re right - just thought it contradicted the views on the Vaseline thread.It doesn't though.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
21-03-2023, 01:16 PM
It doesn't though.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

From my “side” it was suggested on the Vassel thread it’s not always a red card for a kick to the head and there’s an element of interpretation. This was shot down as ridiculous as it’s always a red.

Now it’s being said it’s not always a red and there’s an element of interpretation (which I agree with btw).

archie
21-03-2023, 04:20 PM
Really interesting read on England's referees https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/21/inside-world-premier-league-football-referees-pgmol-howard-webb-andre-marriner-darren-england

JimBHibees
21-03-2023, 04:53 PM
Really interesting read on England's referees https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/21/inside-world-premier-league-football-referees-pgmol-howard-webb-andre-marriner-darren-england

What a brilliant article that is.

Interesting extract from it

(Every official must declare their allegiances, and will not be assigned that team’s matches or those of their closest rivals. Other factors that determine appointments include how many times an official has refereed each club that season, how close they live to the stadium, and which teams their family members support.)

Dublin07
21-03-2023, 05:01 PM
What a brilliant article that is.

Interesting extract from it

(Every official must declare their allegiances, and will not be assigned that team’s matches or those of their closest rivals. Other factors that determine appointments include how many times an official has refereed each club that season, how close they live to the stadium, and which teams their family members support.)
To be fair that is also done in Scotland but then used to assist 2 teams rather than make it fair for all teams. Refs are asked to declare their team in Scotland and if it’s the rangers they get them every second week!