19-03-2023, 12:59 PM
Some achievement this season with Sheff Utd

Pagan Hibernia
19-03-2023, 01:17 PM
Pleased for him.

Stonewall
19-03-2023, 01:20 PM
Delighted for Hecky.

As the saying goes - it’s a funny old game.

19-03-2023, 01:59 PM
Glad the Blackburn guy that went down holding his face didn't manage to con the ref like Cantwell did yesterday. I'd be fuming if one of our players did that and arguably cost us the chance of getting to a cup semi. He could easily have challenged for the ball and maybe stopped the Sheffield Utd attack.

Hibernia&Alba
19-03-2023, 02:08 PM
He's a nice guy and is enjoying life at Sheffield United. Good on him.

hibby rae
19-03-2023, 02:11 PM
Some achievement this season with Sheff Utd

Mental what he's managed to do with them, and yet there is no way I'd ever want him back here!

Viva_Palmeiras
19-03-2023, 02:28 PM
My thoughts on Hecky fWIW

A few things were telling:

he appeared to stick with his convictions and system iirc
Things did not click with some key players - case in point Doige who then went on a spree
he apparently hung Newell out to dry playing him outside of his preferred position.
he alluded part of the problems was confidence/belief (ie in their heads) when he spoke to the Hibs.net folks there to mark the contribution towards the upgrade of the “sports bras” and what that meant.
He was intense, protective, knew his stuff. Maybe a little aloof?

but I think it was clear he had a determination and vision. Pity it never worked out. But I think his time was up.

jacomo
19-03-2023, 02:33 PM
He seemed to be another who underestimated Scottish football. There was little to suggest it would have worked out at Hibs.

Anyhow, it’s all come good for him since and good luck to him. Maybe he used his experience at Hibs to make himself a better manager.

Willis1875
19-03-2023, 02:37 PM
My thoughts on Hecky fWIW

A few things were telling:

he appeared to stick with his convictions and system iirc
Things did not click with some key players - case in point Doige who then went on a spree
he apparently hung Newell out to dry playing him outside of his preferred position.
he alluded part of the problems was confidence/belief (ie in their heads) when he spoke to the Hibs.net folks there to mark the contribution towards the upgrade of the “sports bras” and what that meant.
He was intense, protective, knew his stuff. Maybe a little aloof?

but I think it was clear he had a determination and vision. Pity it never worked out. But I think his time was up.

Did he not keep playing Scott Allan at Right Midfield aswell?

Lancs Harp
19-03-2023, 02:39 PM
He seemed to be another who underestimated Scottish football. There was little to suggest it would have worked out at Hibs.

Anyhow, it’s all come good for him since and good luck to him. Maybe he used his experience at Hibs to make himself a better manager.

Not sure he underestimated it more he didnt understand it and was on his way out before he did. Hes a decent fella and a good coach it just didnt work out for him north of the border

Dunbar Hibee
19-03-2023, 03:04 PM
Always came across as an arrogant guy to me. Seem to remember him being a cocky prick in interviews too.

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2023, 03:16 PM
Decent manager. Had to go, though. Results weren't good and Hibs fans as toxic as I'll hopefully ever seen them. This place was terrible.

Had Boyle been fit for him, probably a different story.

Since452
19-03-2023, 03:18 PM
Thought he was a likeable guy. On a hiding to nothing from the get go from some fans as he was an outsider, a bit like our current manager. Did very well to sort out the carnage Lennon left to get us top six. Not understanding Scottish football is a lazy accusation.

hibby rae
19-03-2023, 03:51 PM
Thought he was a likeable guy. On a hiding to nothing from the get go from some fans as he was an outsider, a bit like our current manager. Did very well to sort out the carnage Lennon left to get us top six. Not understanding Scottish football is a lazy accusation.

I think there's some validity to that argument. An example I'd give was the decision to find no replacement for Bartley or Milligan. In this league you usually need to have someone who will just sit and break up the other team, I don't think it's a coincidence our results have improved since Jeggo came in, or that we took 3rd once we brought in Gogic. Most teams in the Prem will need someone to do that.

Was Josh Vela meant to take on some of that role? Maybe, but he's arguably the worst player I've ever seen play for Hibs. Still couldn't tell you his role.

Hibernia&Alba
19-03-2023, 04:00 PM
Always came across as an arrogant guy to me. Seem to remember him being a cocky prick in interviews too.

To be honest, I don't remember him being like that. I thought he was okay.

Dunbar Hibee
19-03-2023, 04:08 PM
To be honest, I don't remember him being like that. I thought he was okay.

That’s fine. I do.

The Modfather
19-03-2023, 04:14 PM
I think there's some validity to that argument. An example I'd give was the decision to find no replacement for Bartley or Milligan. In this league you usually need to have someone who will just sit and break up the other team, I don't think it's a coincidence our results have improved since Jeggo came in, or that we took 3rd once we brought in Gogic. Most teams in the Prem will need someone to do that.

Was Josh Vela meant to take on some of that role? Maybe, but he's arguably the worst player I've ever seen play for Hibs. Still couldn't tell you his role.

Heckingbottom should probably be afforded the same mitigation that Ross gets in terms of being let down by the recruitment team. Was Heckingbottom, and his midfield options, the same failings as Ross faced?

I wonder if he had to go through an experience like at Hibs to become a better manager as he’s showing at Sheffield Utd.

hibby rae
19-03-2023, 04:29 PM
Heckingbottom should probably be afforded the same mitigation that Ross gets in terms of being let down by the recruitment team. Was Heckingbottom, and his midfield options, the same failings as Ross faced?

I wonder if he had to go through an experience like at Hibs to become a better manager as he’s showing at Sheffield Utd.

Perhaps, but there are 3 fairly successful windows in between those 2, just checking online, and Heckingbottom was happy with the way it had went.

RIP
19-03-2023, 05:56 PM
Hecky made a mistake taking on the Head Coach role at Hibs.

Reporting to Mathie, having to play Lennon picks such as Vela and other signings by the recruitment team.

He should have held out for a manager's job like the role he has at Utd.

B.H.F.C
19-03-2023, 06:23 PM
Hecky made a mistake taking on the Head Coach role at Hibs.

Reporting to Mathie, having to play Lennon picks such as Vela and other signings by the recruitment team.

He should have held out for a manager's job like the role he has at Utd.

Hecky had been and left before Mathie was in the Sporting Director role. The structure he came in to had generally served us well for the previous 4 or 5 years.

B.H.F.C
19-03-2023, 06:31 PM

He actually did well to get more from under performing players when he initially came in. All went tits up in the summer but there is no way he didn’t play a part in a number those signings. He then went on to do some strange things. Seemed determined to pick a fight over how he used Allan, after sticking him on the right wing. Then we had Mallan playing out there as well.

He’s done well since he moved on but he didn’t here. Sometimes happens with managers I suppose. Remember a lot of his chat and think he was quite a studious guy so probably did learn a bit from what he did here.

Edina Street
19-03-2023, 07:16 PM

I am also of the opinion that his major failing was underestimating Scottish football.

Pagan Hibernia
19-03-2023, 07:26 PM
I’ll remember him fondly for delivering our first win at tynecastle for 6 years.

apart from that there’s not much. I remember a lot of games where we took the lead and didn’t win.

Cat Stanton
19-03-2023, 07:57 PM

Bang on with the "underestimation" point. He got rid of Bartley (and Milligan too? Struggling to remember) so our midfield was powder-puff. Then brought in quite a lot of mince from English lower leagues. He was pretty much a disaster at Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
19-03-2023, 08:02 PM
Dont know what it was, but i never took to the man at all, found him very good at telling me how we'd lost a game and why, but never seemed to learn himself much and address the situation.

angus hibby
19-03-2023, 08:02 PM
There’s an interview with him in The Times yesterday.

Brief mention of Hibs when he talks about the whole dynamic of the club changing when Ron came in. Says he only found out the day before it was announced that Tom Farmer was selling to Ron.

angus hibby
19-03-2023, 08:04 PM
And despite not featuring much under him, I recall Bartley saying his training sessions/coaching was the best he’d played under.

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2023, 08:15 PM
Bang on with the "underestimation" point. He got rid of Bartley (and Milligan too? Struggling to remember) so our midfield was powder-puff. Then brought in quite a lot of mince from English lower leagues. He was pretty much a disaster at Hibs.

Newell, Jackson and Doidge were all good signings. Vela and Tom James less so.

Letting Marv and Milligan go was a good decision. They just weren't replaced well. Neither was good enough to take us forward

Forza Fred
19-03-2023, 08:48 PM

He was the one who made the decision to cancel Milligan’s contract.

Milligan was settled at Hibs and wanted to stay.

He said he did it because he wanted the team to play a different way.

It did, but not in a better way.

hibby rae
19-03-2023, 10:14 PM
Newell, Jackson and Doidge were all good signings. Vela and Tom James less so.

Letting Marv and Milligan go was a good decision. They just weren't replaced well. Neither was good enough to take us forward

They weren't replaced at all, letting them go put us backwards.

MWHIBBIES
20-03-2023, 05:08 AM
They weren't replaced at all, letting them go put us backwards.

Presumably vela was intended to replace them.

It's bizarre that people think we missed them more than the trio that left a year earlier. Our midfield was in trouble while they were still here, as they weren't anywhere near as good as mcginn and McGeouch. Marv was hardly even playing. Whittaker was playing more and better in midfield than him.

Some good performances from Omeonga got us to the end of the previous season, not Milligan and Marv.

We signed Docherty in January who again was better than both Milligan and Marv.

hibby rae
20-03-2023, 11:10 AM
Presumably vela was intended to replace them.

It's bizarre that people think we missed them more than the trio that left a year earlier. Our midfield was in trouble while they were still here, as they weren't anywhere near as good as mcginn and McGeouch. Marv was hardly even playing. Whittaker was playing more and better in midfield than him.

Some good performances from Omeonga got us to the end of the previous season, not Milligan and Marv.

We signed Docherty in January who again was better than both Milligan and Marv.

Losing the others didn't put us in a relegation battle by October, granted it meant we weren't the contenders we had been but what was a gradual decline dropped off a cliff. Doherty is a completely different player from the other two.