PDA

View Full Version : NHC MoTD Shearer & Wright

Pages : [1] 2

Lago
10-03-2023, 06:42 PM
Both pundits have pulled out of Saturday match of the day, will they really be missed or is it a chance for younger fresher face ex footballers to make their mark?

Jones28
10-03-2023, 06:43 PM
Think it’s brilliant they’ve pulled out. MOTD never the same without GL.

Jermaine Jenas to host? I’ve got tins of soup with more character.

bingo70
10-03-2023, 06:45 PM
Alex Scott and Micah Richard’s ruled themselves out as well.

I suspect MOTD tomorrow will just be match highlights with no punditry. Either that or Matt Le Tissier is brought in 😜

bod
10-03-2023, 06:46 PM
Where’s his solidarity with the other hosts ?

monarch
10-03-2023, 06:47 PM
At this rate MOTD will have Kenny McIntyre presenting it with Dick Foster and Kenny Miller providing the punditry.

10-03-2023, 06:48 PM
Alex Scott and Micah Richard’s riled themselves out as well.

I suspect MOTD tomorrow will just be match highlights with no punditry. Either that or Matt Le Tissier is brought in 😜

At this rate it'll be matty_f! 😮

Jones28
10-03-2023, 06:51 PM
At this rate it'll be matty_f! 😮

None of the Longbangers team have ruled themselves out yet, disgraceful.

MWHIBBIES
10-03-2023, 07:02 PM
Lineker is an excellent presenter, and a decent bloke judging by this situation.

Good for them and all the others for standing up for what they believe in. Hope the show gets cancelled tomorrow.

Bostonhibby
10-03-2023, 07:04 PM
They will want good solid Tory types, as Jimmy Saville isn't about I'm thinking Jacob Rees Mogg and Nadine Dorries will meet the new standards of impartiality that seem to be required.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

The Baldmans Comb
10-03-2023, 07:08 PM
Imagine Scottish people paying a license fee to support either the overbearing senior management at the BBC or any of these ridiculous self important English ex players who really genuinely believe anyone cares that their opinions or presentational skills matter to a football highlights show.:rolleyes:

HibeeSince85
10-03-2023, 07:08 PM
What a crazy world we live in. BBC seen to have spectacularly shot themselves in the foot with this. Good on Lineker and all the other pundits backing him on social media.

Northernhibee
10-03-2023, 07:11 PM
Think it’s brilliant they’ve pulled out. MOTD never the same without GL.

Jermaine Jenas to host? I’ve got tins of soup with more character.

He's ruled himself out.

blackpoolhibs
I quite like Lineker and Wright, even Shearer, the show is good and insightful.

Now Micah Richards i can do without, hopefully he comes out in solidarity and never comes back.

Iain G
Imagine Scottish people paying a license fee to support either the overbearing senior management at the BBC or any of these ridiculous self important English ex players who really genuinely believe anyone cares that their opinions or presentational skills matter to a football highlights show.:rolleyes:

God help you if that's all you are taking out of this whole fiasco. This is government meddling and closing down freedom of speech and controlling the supposedly impartial BBC. All in an attempt to normalise their hideous anti immigration stance.

Eyrie
10-03-2023, 07:12 PM
Good on Wright, Shearer and the others.

This is the usual crap from politicians who don't like being criticised.

The license fee pays for the likes of Thomson and Foster up here on a programme with zero analysis and an inability to cover five games fairly in an hour.

blackpoolhibs
God help you if that's all you are taking out of this whole fiasco. This is government meddling and closing down freedom of speech and controlling the supposedly impartial BBC.
:agree: Nothing said against Alan Sugar for quotes in the past.

MWHIBBIES

Its an extremely successful show, and they play a big part in it.

Why does them being English matter, by the way?

jacomo
10-03-2023, 07:16 PM
Lineker is an excellent presenter, and a decent bloke judging by this situation.

Good for them and all the others for standing up for what they believe in. Hope the show gets cancelled tomorrow.

They are standing up for free speech. The BBC should be too but they are pathetic.

Smartie
10-03-2023, 07:20 PM
This'll become a "mind that time we had the Maltese refs" moment.

My money's on Jim Davidson and Kenny Miller presenting it.

Alex Trager
10-03-2023, 07:23 PM
God help you if that's all you are taking out of this whole fiasco. This is government meddling and closing down freedom of speech and controlling the supposedly impartial BBC. All in an attempt to normalise their hideous anti immigration stance.

Yet stayed absolutely silent when Alan Sugar was critiquing the strikes at xmas time

Hibby70
10-03-2023, 07:26 PM
I'm busy looking through all of Steven Thompson and Michael Stewart's tweets as we speak.

Hibs4185
10-03-2023, 07:39 PM
I quite like Lineker and Wright, even Shearer, the show is good and insightful.

Now Micah Richards i can do without, hopefully he comes out in solidarity and never comes back.

Not as good as Steven Thompson, Mikey Stewart and James McFadden. Dunno how lucky we’ve got it up here

Stairway 2 7
10-03-2023, 07:46 PM
Silencing your presenters who call out abhorrent racist policies is all a bit 1930s Germany, woops that's me lost the motd gig too

Bristolhibby
10-03-2023, 07:47 PM

Gary Linker has 8.7 million followers on Twitter. I’d say he’s well thought of.

J

Bristolhibby
10-03-2023, 07:50 PM
The BBC has created a situation where anyone prepared to present MOTD tomorrow immediately becomes a de facto supporter of the Tory Policy.

J

LewysGot2
10-03-2023, 07:55 PM
BBC have lost the dressingroom...

Nobody with any credentials will cover for them tomorrow.

Which might mean a wee step up for Queen Margaret Drive 🤣

LewysGot2
10-03-2023, 07:56 PM

You want chips with yer chips? 😁

10-03-2023, 07:59 PM
The BBC has created a situation where anyone prepared to present MOTD tomorrow immediately becomes a de facto supporter of the Tory Policy.

J

Sir Stanley Johnson it is then. 🤔

Northernhibee
10-03-2023, 08:02 PM
Sir Stanley Johnson it is then. 🤔

According to the host of Question Time last night, his friends have said that he only broke his wife's nose once.

Perfectly fine for that to be aired.

Victor
10-03-2023, 08:07 PM
If GL was on ITV would he be facing the same outcry. Or is it only because he is on the ‘impartial’ BBC? Do they really think that GL has massive influence and that all MOTD viewers will now vote Labour? Total nonsense and a massive OG by the BBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vault Boy
10-03-2023, 08:11 PM
Well done to GL and co. What a **** situation.

Ronniekirk
10-03-2023, 08:13 PM
No one should step in and do it and I hope tomorrow fans at all gsmes make Thier views known
Tories leaning on the Chairman who helped Boris get his £800 grand loan before he then got appointed to his job
Plenty petitions going around to be signed to get him reinstated

hibsbollah
10-03-2023, 08:17 PM
I think Chick Young is the man to step up to the hot seat.
The English won’t know what day of the week it is when he opens his mouth.

J-C
10-03-2023, 08:21 PM
I had Lineker in the taxi a few years back and he was a thoroughly decent bloke. The show isn't just about showing highlights, it's about the analyses after each game, it could be a case of getting a presenter to just present the highlights and nothing more. It's a disgrace the BBC have come to this decision.

hibee_girl
10-03-2023, 08:27 PM
Going ahead tomorrow with no presenter or pundits. Just a highlights show.

SteveG
10-03-2023, 08:27 PM
No disgrace from the BBC from me, right thing to do, smug GL should apologise for his comments.

10-03-2023, 08:28 PM
What's Jeremy Clarkson doing these days?

Northernhibee
10-03-2023, 08:28 PM
Confirmed, no in studio punditry tomorrow night and will only focus on match action.

Northernhibee
10-03-2023, 08:29 PM
No disgrace from the BBC from me, right thing to do, smug GL should apologise for his comments.

What's he said that's incorrect?

Stairway 2 7
10-03-2023, 08:29 PM

I'd bet most would think you are a bigot apologist, but your allowed your opinion as this isn't Nazi Germany.

SteveHFC
10-03-2023, 08:30 PM
Confirmed, no in studio punditry tomorrow night and will only focus on match action.

Wonder if we will still have commentators on the highlights?

Stairway 2 7
10-03-2023, 08:30 PM
What's Jeremy Clarkson doing these days?

He tweeted well done to Ian Wright which I was surprised about

Scotty Leither
10-03-2023, 08:33 PM
I think Chick Young is the man to step up to the hot seat.
The English won’t know what day of the week it is when he opens his mouth.

It’s not a weegie-centric show, so Young would be a fish out of water. I heard him speak at a Sportsman’s dinner a few years ago and he was dire. Tired, cliched ***** from start to finish.

Bristolhibby
10-03-2023, 08:34 PM

No he shouldn’t. Anyone thinking he should supports this horrific policy. Which I assume you do.

Just awful.

Our great club that we all love remember was set up by immigrants facing daily persecution just for being Irish.

If you know your history.

J

hibsbollah
10-03-2023, 08:35 PM
I had Linaker in the taxi a few years back.

:tumble:

hibsbollah
10-03-2023, 08:37 PM
but you’re allowed your opinion as this isn't Nazi Germany.

I’m confused. Is this or isn’t this the 1930s?

cabbageandribs1875
10-03-2023, 08:37 PM
i don't even watch any football highlights shows but damn well done Lineker et al

J-C
10-03-2023, 08:38 PM
:tumble:

What's with the tumbleweed, it is factually correct. :rolleyes:

SteveG
I'd bet most would think you are a bigot apologist, but your allowed your opinion as this isn't Nazi Germany.

What a great response. Don't think we live in 1930's Germany, quite free to speak our mind where I live. Never been called a bigot apologist before either. I'm Jewish and found his comments out of order.

PatHead
Wonder if the Sportscene presenters will walk out in sympathy if they are not allowed to make their pro The Rangers comments?

Stairway 2 7
10-03-2023, 08:43 PM
What a great response. Don't think we live in 1930's Germany, quite free to speak our mind where I live. Never been called a bigot apologist before either. I'm Jewish and found his comments out of order.

Douglas Ross is Scottish but he doesn't speak for all Scots. We're clearly not free to speak our mind.

Auschwitz Memorial
@AuschwitzMuseum
At Auschwitz we see the end of the process, but the Holocaust did not start from gas chambers & murder.

The hatred developed from marking a victim who could not escape its fate, from ideology & words, through legal exclusion, violence & dehumanization.

Auschwitz took time.

heretoday
10-03-2023, 08:45 PM

That's progress in my view.

You never learn much from three blokes in shirts and matchday trainers.

Let the action speak for itself.

GreenNWhiteArmy
10-03-2023, 08:47 PM
"Football's backlash against @BBC intensifies over its treatment of @GaryLineker. Many @premierleague players keen to show support for ex-pro pundits who step aside from @BBCMOTD. And @PFA will also fully support players who face fines for not completing required broadcast duties"

Sounds messy, be interesting to see which clubs refuse to speak to BBC over the weekend

Clarence
10-03-2023, 08:48 PM
Andy Gray and Richard Keys waiting in the wings.

Lendo
10-03-2023, 08:48 PM

Member since 2007 with only 22 posts but chooses this thread to comment on….

Stairway 2 7
10-03-2023, 08:49 PM
Member since 2007 with only 22 posts but chooses this thread to comment on….

Burner account for someone else

Northernhibee
10-03-2023, 08:49 PM
What GL pointed out is how inflammatory the language being used towards asylum seekers is, and the parallels of pre war 1930s Germany. Nowhere did he compare the government with nazis, nowhere did he say that the government were nazis, or even compare policies with that of the nazis.

Plenty of horrendous moments in the history of humanity have come from deeply inflammatory language. We've already seen vile protests outside accommodation housing asylum seekers, a terrorist attack on a refugee camp, and yet the rhetoric is being ramped up further. 48 hours after the petrol bombing of the refugee centre, Tory MP Jonathan Gullis named a hotel that was due to house asylum seekers on live TV.

We're already down the road of violence and aggression being shown by the far right towards asylum seekers. The language used by Braverman recently ramps up the rhetoric further and I fear where we're going from here.

I'm with Gary Lineker on this, find it telling that so many Tory supporters want to make people think that he's called the government nazis (which he hasn't), and am filled with admiration for Ian Wright, Alan Shearer, Alex Scott, Jermaine Jenas, and anyone else wanting to distance themselves from the BBC over their treatment of one of their contractors who are under sustained media and government attack.

JimBHibees
10-03-2023, 08:52 PM
BBC run by Tories yet they demand impartiality despicable

marinello59
10-03-2023, 08:59 PM

Maybe people at the BBC have let this run its course knowing it would result in a two finger salute to the Tories.

Onceinawhile
10-03-2023, 09:03 PM

They don't demand impartiality. They demand that people tow the tory party line.

hibby rae
10-03-2023, 09:04 PM

Out of interest why do you think he should apologise? Nothing he said was incorrect

jacomo
10-03-2023, 09:17 PM

Exactly.

All these fools who claim they are ‘not allowed’ to speak their mind these days and then demand Lineker be sacked for speaking his mind.

Do you believe in free speech or not?

DIXIHIBS
10-03-2023, 09:22 PM
Great to see such a high profile figure stand up to this tory government. This could backfire badly on the BBC.

norhfc
10-03-2023, 09:24 PM
BBC even talking impartiality is ridiculous. Their director donates to the Tories, maybe why he got the job ?
They have picked the wrong fight here, apart from the far right nutters most will support GL and free speech.

neil7908
10-03-2023, 09:26 PM
Andy Gray and Richard Keys waiting in the wings.

Whats Ron Atkinson doing these days?

Diclonius
10-03-2023, 09:29 PM
For all you free speech lovers looking in - this is what "cancel" culture looks like. Disciplined by your employer for speaking out against bigotry.

Northernhibee
10-03-2023, 09:45 PM
Commentators reportedly in talks with unions in regards to not contributing to the show.

McHibby
10-03-2023, 09:45 PM
Douglas Ross is Scottish but he doesn't speak for all Scots. We're clearly not free to speak our mind.

Auschwitz Memorial
@AuschwitzMuseum
At Auschwitz we see the end of the process, but the Holocaust did not start from gas chambers & murder.

The hatred developed from marking a victim who could not escape its fate, from ideology & words, through legal exclusion, violence & dehumanization.

Auschwitz took time.

Exactly. The Nazi Party didn't start and end with the second world war. They came to power in 1933 and introduced divisive and dehumanising messaging about their target group. This was stepped up in intensity over several years, until the wider population accepted the propaganda as fact.

Anyone who has even a cursory knowledge of Europe in the 1930s knows that there really is a sinister parallel in the language being used then and the language being used now.

Lago
10-03-2023, 09:53 PM
That's progress in my view.

You never learn much from three blokes in shirts and matchday trainers.

Let the action speak for itself.
Yip more football and no waffle, some of the pundits well past their sell by date, a £1 million for Shearer, ridiculous.

Iain G
10-03-2023, 09:59 PM

What did you find out of order about them? He is pointing out certain parallels between the language and words used by the Tories and similar rhetoric jaeed in 1930s by the German government. It's him picking up on this point and a warning to people of the parallels.

Nowhere has he said anything other than this.

NAE NOOKIE
10-03-2023, 10:18 PM
The guy is a football pundit. He isn't a reporter or host of Question time or a news reader, he doesn't present a politics show or have a say in the corporation's news or political editorial policy.
He made a political comment on his private twitter account, which as a member of the public he is perfectly entitled to do. This is utter nonsense from the BBC and if anything shows the sinister way their bias is now being directed far more than any threat to it's so called 'impartiality' from the likes of Gary Lineker.

Ryan91
10-03-2023, 10:20 PM
Rather ironic, outside Broadcasting House, there is a statue of author George Orwell and the quotation "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"

If the BBC had any sort of journalistic integrity they would be holding those in power to account over their erosion of our rights and the demonisation of immigrants and asylum seekers. Yet here they are, attempting to silence someone who works for them who has dared to attempt to criticise those in power.

Stairway 2 7
10-03-2023, 10:26 PM
Ooft no commentary either now

@Wilsonfooty
·
4m
As commentators on MOTD, we have decided to step down from tomorrow night’s broadcast. We are comforted that football fans who want to watch their teams should still be able to do so, as management can use World Feed commentary if they wish.

Iain G
10-03-2023, 10:39 PM

@Wilsonfooty
·
4m
As commentators on MOTD, we have decided to step down from tomorrow night’s broadcast. We are comforted that football fans who want to watch their teams should still be able to do so, as management can use World Feed commentary if they wish.

This show gets worse!

gbhibby
10-03-2023, 10:42 PM
Good that they are all coming out in support of a colleague. The BBC are viewed abroad as the bastion of free speech so this will do more damage to the BBCs reputation than Gary Linekers.

gbhibby
10-03-2023, 10:55 PM
https://twitter.com/FreefromTorture/status/1634249965236002827/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1634249965236002827&currentTweetUser=FreefromTorture

Is Gary Lineker wrong you decide.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

pollution
10-03-2023, 10:58 PM
I liked him as a presenter on MOTD.

At least he is now free to express himself as he so wishes.....

Hibbyradge
10-03-2023, 11:04 PM

Nope. I don't believe you.

He's here!
10-03-2023, 11:05 PM
Great to see such a high profile figure stand up to this tory government. This could backfire badly on the BBC.

Might also backfire on the pundits when folk realise their analysis is superfluous?

hibby rae
10-03-2023, 11:10 PM

@Wilsonfooty
·
4m

Players contacting the PFA to say they don't want to take part in interviews either

He's here!
10-03-2023, 11:11 PM
Good that they are all coming out in support of a colleague. The BBC are viewed abroad as the bastion of free speech so this will do more damage to the BBCs reputation than Gary Linekers.

Said it on another thread. Lineker can just walk away - then he can say whatever he likes.

Onceinawhile
10-03-2023, 11:12 PM
Players contacting the PFA to say they don't want to take part in interviews either

Where have you seen this?

hibby rae
10-03-2023, 11:14 PM
https://twitter.com/joelycett/status/1634269971512426498

Host sorted

hibby rae
10-03-2023, 11:15 PM
Where have you seen this?

BBC Sport of all places has reported it!

He's here!
10-03-2023, 11:17 PM
Yip more football and no waffle, some of the pundits well past their sell by date, a £1 million for Shearer, ridiculous.

Their 'solidarity' with Lineker is 'bourgeois Socialism in action' according to Laurence Fox.

overdrive
10-03-2023, 11:21 PM
I assume Michael Stewart will also be asked to step back from Sportscene? Tweets political stuff, tried to stand for a political party whilst working for the BBC.

jacomo
10-03-2023, 11:26 PM
Their 'solidarity' with Lineker is 'bourgeois Socialism in action' according to Laurence Fox.

No need to pay attention to anything that prick says.

gbhibby
10-03-2023, 11:26 PM
Will the sportscene and sportsound presenters please show their support of Gary Lineker this weekend. This will do us all a favour this weekend 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

gbhibby
10-03-2023, 11:48 PM
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk-politics/2018/01/britain-s-treatment-refugees-fleeing-nazis-story-brutality-cloaked-bureaucracy

History repeating itself?

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

The Baldmans Comb
11-03-2023, 12:44 AM
Add in the commentators boycotting the show as well and this is just magnificent slapstick comedy that you could only get from such a ridiculous bloated English institution that just revels in its own self importance and is long past giving any money to.😥

There is a serious underlying point and as always you can only just stand back and admire English people in general and their sense of injustice and fair play and they can spot a mile away that is nothing to do with overpaid windbags and everything to do with freedom of expression and the abuse of political power.👏👏

neil7908
11-03-2023, 04:42 AM

Alan Shearer is a classic bourgeoisie socialist after all 😂😂😂😂

Jack
11-03-2023, 05:04 AM
I wonder what ChatGPT is up to this weekend?

hibbydog
11-03-2023, 05:41 AM
Can’t Steven Thompson and Michael Stewart start making political tweets too?

Iain G
11-03-2023, 05:48 AM
Alan Shearer is a classic bourgeoisie socialist after all 😂😂😂😂

Let them eat Greggs! 🤣

Rottenstink
11-03-2023, 05:52 AM

Lineker breached bbc impartiality guidelines. He is a perfect example of the elite preaching luxury beliefs to us plebs because they are largely unaffected by any of the outcomes of their beliefs - it won’t be happening in their neighborhoods ( yes, Gaza took in an “ immigrant” for 10 days, but only in response to accusations of hypocrisy- and his lodger was a law student )

Iain G
11-03-2023, 05:58 AM
Lineker breached bbc impartiality guidelines. He is a perfect example of the elite preaching luxury beliefs to us plebs because they are largely unaffected by any of the outcomes of their beliefs - it won’t be happening in their neighborhoods ( yes, Gaza took in an “ immigrant” for 10 days, but only in response to accusations of hypocrisy- and his lodger was a law student )

Was he wrong in his tweet?

Or are you saying he was insincere?

It's hardly a "luxury belief" to say that Duke of the wording and phrasing being used by the government has echos of similar words and phrases used in Germany.

Jones28
11-03-2023, 06:11 AM

He’s not beholden to those guidelines because he’s not a news presenter.

Dmas
11-03-2023, 06:15 AM

He can’t be asked to spend a month in Qatar preaching the wrongs of human rights records over there and the oppression the people face and then to stay quiet when the government of this country attempt to force through a bill which is against the UN’s Human Rights Convention and largely seen as illegal anyway, his tweet was correct, the actions of the bbc on behalf of the Tory party only strengthen his point further.

Stairway 2 7
11-03-2023, 06:16 AM

Bet your OK with sugar criticising Corbyn all the time

Stairway 2 7
11-03-2023, 06:17 AM

Not sure you could have put up better praise for Lineker than quoting that mental case covid denier

Stairway 2 7
11-03-2023, 06:35 AM
@TheAnfieldTalk
·
Bournemouth and Liverpool will take a stand for the Premier League tomorrow in the early kick off and refuse to speak to the BBC, pre and post match.

All Premier League clubs are expected to follow the same procedure. [
@talkSPORT

Jones28
11-03-2023, 06:38 AM
@TheAnfieldTalk
·
Bournemouth and Liverpool will take a stand for the Premier League tomorrow in the early kick off and refuse to speak to the BBC, pre and post match.

@talkSPORT

Holy moly. Well done to them all.

It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so serious.

hibsbollah
11-03-2023, 06:49 AM
@TheAnfieldTalk
·

@talkSPORT

All premier league clubs and players? I can’t see that happening but good for them. This is starting to feel like some of these NBA player power campaigns. Culture wars are fine for targeting marginalised groups, but if the Tory party up go after the national working class man’s sport…that’s a tough battle, especially when it’s those exact people you’re trying to influence to vote for your nasty wee policies.

JimBHibees
11-03-2023, 06:52 AM
Maybe people at the BBC have let this run its course knowing it would result in a two finger salute to the Tories.

Think you are right. Think quite a bit of push back and criticism by unions of Richard Sharp debacle

JimBHibees
11-03-2023, 06:54 AM
BBC even talking impartiality is ridiculous. Their director donates to the Tories, maybe why he got the job ?
They have picked the wrong fight here, apart from the far right nutters most will support GL and free speech.

Definitely why he got the job

matty_f
11-03-2023, 07:09 AM
None of the Longbangers team have ruled themselves out yet, disgraceful.

We have made our position clear to the BBC that we’ll definitely not present Match of the Day. :greengrin:

J-C
11-03-2023, 07:32 AM
Said it on another thread. Lineker can just walk away - then he can say whatever he likes.

Why should he walk away, he has freedom of speech and as far as I can see he didn't he didn't slander anyone, he compared a new government policy to a similar policy from Germany in the 1930's, something millions of people agree with. The BBC is meant to be impartial but it is now showing it's true colours, it's a disgraceful situation caused by the BBC and their friends in high places.

MWHIBBIES
11-03-2023, 07:45 AM

Wtf are you talking about? His views are his own. BBC do not control that. It's a job nothing more. He is not owned by the BBC.

What a ridiculous post. Because he's well off his opinion doesn't matter? He's absolutely spot on about the Tories.

Glory Lurker
11-03-2023, 07:55 AM
I couldn't stand Lineker back when he was knocking them in for England and coming across like a right boring wee goodie two shoes.

Called that one wrong!

More power to his elbow, and to everyone in broadcasting and the game that backs him up.

Moulin Yarns
11-03-2023, 08:04 AM
Greg Dyke is now asked about whether the BBC not being able to control its highest paid presenter is an issue.

The former director general says "the money to some extent is irrelevant" as Lineker could make “far more” if he went elsewhere.

"There is a long established precedent in the BBC that if you are an entertainment presenter or a sports presenter then you are not bound by those same rules," he says.

"The real problem today is that the BBC has undermined its own credibility by doing this."

He says it could create the impression that the "BBC has bowed to government pressure".

heretoday
11-03-2023, 08:05 AM
BBC should take the opportunity to ditch boring old Lineker, Shearer and Wrighty, and get some new personalities. I suggest the Lampard family - good guy Frank, the lovely Christine and loveable Uncle Harry with his cockney patter.

Tommy75
11-03-2023, 08:25 AM
Wtf are you talking about? His views are his own. BBC do not control that. It's a job nothing more. He is not owned by the BBC.

What a ridiculous post. Because he's well off his opinion doesn't matter? He's absolutely spot on about the Tories.

Of course his views are his own but I assume when he signed his contract (worth 1.3m according to a quick google search) he would have agreed to impartiality rules. If he wanted to breach the rules to express his opinions he should have resigned.

Bostonhibby
11-03-2023, 08:30 AM
BBC should take the opportunity to ditch boring old Lineker, Shearer and Wrighty, and get some new personalities. I suggest the Lampard family - good guy Frank, the lovely Christine and loveable Uncle Harry with his cockney patter.Nigel Farage is a good solid Blokey type right winger who should make the sort of comments that will be entirely welcomed by the cabal of Tory donators, supporters and failed constituency candidate who were appointed to fill the senior positions on the BBC boards.

mvteng
11-03-2023, 08:42 AM
Of course his views are his own but I assume when he signed his contract (worth 1.3m according to a quick google search) he would have agreed to impartiality rules. If he wanted to breach the rules to express his opinions he should have resigned.

Neither you or I have any idea what his contract says or what guidelines he has agreed to accept. Respectfully, what you assume is pretty much worthless

Dmas
11-03-2023, 08:47 AM
Neither you or I have any idea what his contract says or what guidelines he has agreed to accept. Respectfully, what you assume is pretty much worthless

He’s also a freelance tv presenter is he not? So not directly and solely employed by the bbc how much control can they have over what he does, they either choose to hire him for MOTD or they don’t, the nonsense about trying to come to an agreement is to save the headlines for sacking him for his tweet and bundled it big time which isn’t surprising considering the government’s record of making a pigs ear of absolutely everything

McSwanky
11-03-2023, 08:49 AM
Greg Dyke is now asked about whether the BBC not being able to control its highest paid presenter is an issue.

The former director general says "the money to some extent is irrelevant" as Lineker could make “far more” if he went elsewhere.

"There is a long established precedent in the BBC that if you are an entertainment presenter or a sports presenter then you are not bound by those same rules," he says.

"The real problem today is that the BBC has undermined its own credibility by doing this."

He says it could create the impression that the "BBC has bowed to government pressure".Quite telling that Dyke is wading in here with overt criticism...

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Greenbeard
11-03-2023, 08:50 AM
I'm going to watch it for once. Football, football, football, without endless analysis and opinions, verbal diarrhoea, and the usual parrot-like post match interviews with players and managers. Bring it on.

MrSmith
11-03-2023, 09:01 AM
We should all stand firm on this because the BBC has now gone past its impartiality policy and we are paying for it!

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/bbc-fans-call-for-fiona-bruce-and-laura-kuenssberg-to-be-investigated-after-martine-croxall-is-taken-off-air-337634/?fbclid=IwAR0U0g0XrvH6CqNt4rfmZYg8Jcj1-9JXoaTSqwM5fPneFZbuhiVqm9eBk14

He's here!
11-03-2023, 09:13 AM
I'm going to watch it for once. Football, football, football, without endless analysis and opinions, verbal diarrhoea, and the usual parrot-like post match interviews with players and managers. Bring it on.

https://twitter.com/TimesRadio/status/1634490803019034624?s=20

'People might prefer watching football without commentary. I think this could be a good thing.'

I'm inclined to agree. TBH the only football I watch these days is Hibs games, but the excessive amount of punditry/analysis which goes with the game has long struck me as way OTT. Football's simplicity is what makes it so popular and the overwhelming majority of folk who watch it don't require anyone to tell them what's going on. I'd rather see extended highlights than hear, say, Alan Shearer's thoughts on a game.

Kato
11-03-2023, 09:17 AM

'People might prefer watching football without commentary. I think this could be a good thing.'

I'm inclined to agree. TBH the only football I watch these days is Hibs games, but the excessive amount of punditry/analysis which goes with the game has long struck me as way OTT. Football's simplicity is what makes it so popular and the overwhelming majority of folk who watch it don't require anyone to tell them what's going on. I'd rather see extended highlights than hear, say, Alan Shearer's thoughts on a game.Me, me, me.

What a selfish attitude. You want a programme you don't watch broadcast in a style that suits you because of a political storm which you seek to distort.

Millions of kids watch Match of The Day. Having pundits on the programme explaining tactics and situations is a valuable part of being educated in the game. Sometimes I'll listen sometimes I won't but I recognise that match analysis isn't always aimed at seasoned viewers.

You can act as flippantly as you want over the subject but the selfishness is revealing.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

easty
11-03-2023, 09:23 AM
Me, me, me.

What a selfish attitude. You want a programme you don't watch broadcast in a style that suits you because of a political storm which you seek to distort.

Millions of kids watch Match of The Day. Having pundits on the programme explaining tactics and situations is a valuable part of being educated in the game. Sometimes I'll listen sometimes I won't but I recognise that match analysis isn't always aimed at seasoned viewers.

You can act as flippantly as you want over the subject but the selfishness is revealing.

Explaining tactics is a stretch to be fair.

You get about as much explanation on tactics from the Match of the Day lot, as you do from Greg Wallace about cookery techniques on Masterchef.

Kato
11-03-2023, 09:38 AM

You get about as much explanation on tactics from the Match of the Day lot, as you do from Greg Wallace about cookery techniques on Masterchef.

That's your take. Fact remains millions of kids like the game being explained and some pundits can be very good at it, some not so much.

Tommy75
11-03-2023, 09:40 AM

I respectfully disagree and find your post patronising.

Kato
11-03-2023, 09:41 AM
I respectfully disagree and find your post patronising.What is in his contract?

Dmas
11-03-2023, 09:41 AM
Me, me, me.

MOTD is a great program IMO I don’t think it goes too hard on tactics, I think it does highlight game situations very well and it’s good to have 3 guys who know the game talk about it rather than the usual presenter and former players being questioned, it’s a Saturday night entertainment program and it needs to hold the attention of each teams fans, I think it works really well, I won’t be watching tonight though but I can’t say il never watch again

hibby rae
11-03-2023, 09:42 AM

I'm inclined to agree. TBH the only football I watch these days is Hibs games, but the excessive amount of punditry/analysis which goes with the game has long struck me as way OTT. Football's simplicity is what makes it so popular and the overwhelming majority of folk who watch it don't require anyone to tell them what's going on. I'd rather see extended highlights than hear, say, Alan Shearer's thoughts on a game.

Not me, I really enjoy the analysis. I like getting other perspectives of the game, and learning more about it from those who have been involved in it and/or are very knowledgeable of it. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't know what is going on otherwise.

I've seen shows which just feature highlights and not much else and they can be a bit dull imo.

gbhibby
11-03-2023, 09:46 AM
Why should he walk away, he has freedom of speech and as far as I can see he didn't he didn't slander anyone, he compared a new government policy to a similar policy from Germany in the 1930's, something millions of people agree with. The BBC is meant to be impartial but it is now showing it's true colours, it's a disgraceful situation caused by the BBC and their friends in high places.
There were people in high places in this country in the 1930s who admired what Germany was doing. The BBC have got this spectacularly wrong.

Stairway 2 7
11-03-2023, 09:54 AM

Don't assume it makes you look foolish

Stairway 2 7
11-03-2023, 09:57 AM

But your a tory are you not. Its easier for some to take what's best for them and chuck principle in the bin. I know you'd counter saying your not going against your principles as you don't agree with linkers comments, but your different to the many on that awful take

DaveF
11-03-2023, 10:01 AM
But your a tory are you not. Its easier for some to take what's best for them and chuck principle in the bin. I know you'd counter saying your not going against your principles as you don't agree with linkers comments, but your different to the many on that awful take

A labour voter apparently. This next labour govt is going to have to be ultra right wing to appease people like him.

Tommy75
11-03-2023, 10:04 AM
Don't assume it makes you look foolish

Thanks for the advice

The dalmeny
11-03-2023, 10:12 AM
Presenters off final score now, wonder what the bbc scotland position is

DaveF
11-03-2023, 10:13 AM
Bargain hunt replaces football focus at lunchtime.

MountcastleHibs
11-03-2023, 10:20 AM

As a non-news presenter, he is not bound by the same impartiality guidelines that news presenters are.

Box 17
11-03-2023, 10:22 AM
Bargain hunt replaces football focus at lunchtime.

C'mon the Reds.

Lendo
11-03-2023, 10:23 AM

And here’s another one. Member since 2018, 12 posts.

Admins, what’s going on with these troll accounts? They only seem to appear on these types of threads.

DaveF
11-03-2023, 10:28 AM
I'm assuming all the radio presenters and commentators are going ahead as normal? If so, seems a bit hypocritical if the likes of Mark Chapman can show support by refusing Motd but quite happy to present on radio.

Edit - just seen a post elsewhere suggesting 5live sport cancelled.

The dalmeny
11-03-2023, 10:28 AM
And here’s another one. Member since 2018, 12 posts.

Admins, what’s going on with these troll accounts? They only seem to appear on these types of threads.

interesting post history for sure, suspect may have more than one account on here

MWHIBBIES
11-03-2023, 10:32 AM

I highly doubt he signed something saying he's entitled to no opinion ever, even outside of work hours on a separate platform.

The BBC aren't doing this because of impartiality. It's because they're Tories and he's upset them by very correctly saying the language being used is similar to that of nazi Germany in its early days.

CropleyWasGod
11-03-2023, 10:36 AM
Here are the BBC Guidelines on the use of social media:-

https://www.bbc.com/editorialguidelines/guidance/social-media/#personalactivity

c. Grunt on the Holy Ground :greengrin

Smartie
11-03-2023, 10:37 AM

The next chapter in this story is them getting record breaking viewing figures and then having to try and figure out why.

I haven’t watched it for years, support Lineker’s comments but fully expect to watch it tonight for novelty factor.

Kato
11-03-2023, 10:38 AM
Presenters off final score now, wonder what the bbc scotland position is"1690, up the bears"?

CropleyWasGod
11-03-2023, 10:42 AM
We have made our position clear to the BBC that we’ll definitely not present Match of the Day. :greengrin:

You mean you'll be on here?

Aw naw.....

Bishop Hibee
11-03-2023, 10:44 AM
Get the ‘Refugees Welcome Here’ banner back up permanently on display at Easter Road.

Jones28
11-03-2023, 10:48 AM
Get the ‘Refugees Welcome Here’ banner back up permanently on display at Easter Road.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

He's here!
11-03-2023, 10:51 AM
Me, me, me.

You're reading too much into that. I'd say the same had the whole Lineker issue not occurred and the BBC were, say, experimenting with a pundit-free programme. Just my (unselfish) opinion though and as such pretty much redundant as it will have zero bearing on how the BBC plan their football coverage.

He's here!
11-03-2023, 10:55 AM

I don't disagree the government proposals are controversial, I just felt Lineker's analogy was inaccurate and as he's probably the BBC's most high-profile presenter I can understand why they felt they had to step in.

Tactical Tory list voter in the last couple of Holyrood elections BTW as a means to help deprive the SNP of a majority (an approach adopted by many voters). Labour voter in all other respects.

hibby rae
11-03-2023, 10:58 AM
I don't disagree the government proposals are controversial, I just felt Lineker's analogy was inaccurate and as he's probably the BBC's most high-profile presenter I can understand why they felt they had to step in.

Tactical Tory list voter in the last couple of Holyrood elections BTW as a means to help deprive the SNP of a majority (an approach adopted by many voters). Labour voter in all other respects.

In what way?

Baader
11-03-2023, 11:02 AM
Lineker isn't BBC staff, he's a freelance broadcaster on a non exclusive contract. Unfortunately the BBC is being infiltrated by Tories with the aim of turning the state broadcaster into a pro government propaganda machine. That's a worry.

Eyrie
11-03-2023, 11:04 AM
I highly doubt he signed something saying he's entitled to no opinion ever, even outside of work hours on a separate platform.

The BBC aren't doing this because of impartiality. It's because they're Tories and he's upset them by very correctly saying the language being used is similar to that of nazi Germany in its early days.

The BBC haven't suspended Lineker because they're Tories but because they're being pressured into it by Tory politicians and the right wing. It's another example of cancel culture.

Al my life I've seen the BBC being criticised by whichever party is in power and its supporters simply because the BBC is trying to do its job and ask the awkward questions that politicians don't want asked about beliefs that their supporters don't like being asked to think about.

pollution
11-03-2023, 11:06 AM
I despair sometimes.

heretoday
11-03-2023, 11:07 AM

They spend most of the time analysing VAR situations and admiring each other's leisure wear.

Kato
11-03-2023, 11:09 AM

You are misrepresenting what he said.

He said the policy was "cruel" not "controversial".

He didn't make an analogy with the language he made a direct comparison with it. Something which seems undeniable.

He wasn't tweeting on behalf of the BBC, he's tweeting as himself.

mvteng
11-03-2023, 11:10 AM
I respectfully disagree and find your post patronising.

What part of what I said do you disagree with?

Kato
11-03-2023, 11:11 AM
They spend most of the time analysing VAR situations and admiring each other's leisure wear.They don't really though.

Alfred E Newman
11-03-2023, 11:13 AM

By all accounts the vast majority of the people risking their lives crossing the channel in small boats are not refugees though.

Box 17
11-03-2023, 11:15 AM
The BBC haven't suspended Lineker because they're Tories but because they're being pressured into it by Tory politicians and the right wing. It's another example of cancel culture.

Al my life I've seen the BBC being criticised by whichever party is in power and its supporters simply because the BBC is trying to do its job and ask the awkward questions that politicians don't want asked about beliefs that their supporters don't like being asked to think about.

It's a lot more straightforward than that. He's been suspended because he has breached the BBC impartiality guidelines.

Somebody posted them earlier Guidance: Social media - Editorial Guidelines (bbc.com) (https://www.bbc.com/editorialguidelines/guidance/social-media/#personalactivity)

Lago
11-03-2023, 11:32 AM
They don't really though.

The var part is true and the so called analysis borders on what you hear in a pub after a couple of pints, Ian Wright saying bam at the end of every sentence does my nut in.

Just Alf
11-03-2023, 11:33 AM
let me get this right...

a young girl gets lifted off the streets somewhere in South Sudan. she's then trafficked to the UK and held against her will and forced into prostitution, a punter realises things are not right and raises it with the authorities (all similar to that case in Glasgow a couple of years ago).

The new law will mean that after she's saved, she has no legal way to claim asylum/remain in the UK (in fact she's actively barred from applying), instead she's to be deported back to the location of her original kidnap.

People are supporting the authorities that are trying to stop well known personalities from questioning this and trying to raise the issue higher in the public consciousness?

Lendo
11-03-2023, 11:34 AM
It's a lot more straightforward than that. He's been suspended because he has breached the BBC impartiality guidelines.

Somebody posted them earlier Guidance: Social media - Editorial Guidelines (bbc.com) (https://www.bbc.com/editorialguidelines/guidance/social-media/#personalactivity)

I can’t find their impartiality rules for Director Generals who organise massive dodgy loans for a British Prime Ministers who have ties to Russian FSB agents.

Bostonhibby
11-03-2023, 11:36 AM
Bargain hunt replaces football focus at lunchtime.This is what the nasties have been planning all along, audience crammed with their supporters.

The antiques road show will replace MOTD and the coup de tat is complete.

Just need to get Bozo's dad in his rightful place on the throne at Buck House and it's job done.

Kato
11-03-2023, 11:38 AM
The var part is true and the so called analysis borders on what you hear in a pub after a couple of pints, Ian Wright saying bam at the end of every sentence does my nut in.That doesn't really happen either.

Lago
11-03-2023, 11:54 AM
That doesn't really happen either.

Certainly does

Rumble de Thump
11-03-2023, 12:01 PM

The Conservative Party placed Tories at the top of the BBC's management to ensure it is not impartial.

leithsansiro
11-03-2023, 12:01 PM
Lineker compared the immigration policy and the ethos being shown by the current government to being akin to 1930s Germany. He didn’t call them Nazis. He drew parallels with the way in which people were dehumanised and marginalised. The way in which certain groups of people were set up as something to be feared.

- Jacob Rees Mogg recently said in a speech that Stephen Lawrence’s mum should “go home”
- Home Secretary Suella Braverman has spoken about an “invasion” of immigrants coming to the country, with “millions” and (laughably) “billions” of people coming
- Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick twice on Question Time stated that “these people are breaking into our country”

There are numerous other examples. The current British government, and by proxy the country, is becoming dangerously right wing.

People will look back on this period and regret what the country becomes unless there’s a change.

easty
11-03-2023, 12:07 PM
Lineker compared the immigration policy and the ethos being shown by the current government to being akin to 1930s Germany. He didn’t call them Nazis. He drew parallels with the way in which people were dehumanised and marginalised. The way in which certain groups of people were set up as something to be feared.

- Jacob Rees Mogg recently said in a speech that Stephen Lawrence’s mum should “go home”
- Home Secretary Suella Braverman has spoken about an “invasion” of immigrants coming to the country, with “millions” and (laughably) “billions” of people coming
- Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick twice on Question Time stated that “these people are breaking into our country”

There are numerous other examples. The current British government, and by proxy the country, is becoming dangerously right wing.

People will look back on this period and regret what the country becomes unless there’s a change.

Exactly this.

There’ll be thousands of raging twitterers out there who haven’t actually read what he said, and are just assuming he called tories “nazis”

Lago
11-03-2023, 12:15 PM
Wonder if Sportscene results comes out in solidarity with fellowship down south?

Moulin Yarns
11-03-2023, 12:33 PM
As a non-news presenter, he is not bound by the same impartiality guidelines that news presenters are.

From the guidlines, not rules.

Who is covered by this Guidance Everyone who works for the BBC should ensure their activity on social media platforms does not compromise the perception of or undermine the impartiality and reputation of the BBC, nor their own professional impartiality or reputation and/or otherwise undermine trust in the BBC.
The rules set out above (section 2) apply to all colleagues using social media for both work and personal purposes.
Additionally for some roles at the BBC, personal social media activity must also comply with the BBC Editorial Guidelines as though it were BBC output including:

Individuals who work in news and current affairs (across all Divisions) or factual journalism production.
All senior leaders in any area of the BBC Group.

Anyone who is using social media for official BBC purposes must follow this guidance as well as the Editorial Guidelines. The Editorial Guidelines apply to all BBC content, regardless of platform.
The extent to which a non-staff member, contributor or presenter is required to comply with the Editorial Guidelines will be set out in the BBC’s contractual relationship with them.
It is generally expected that irregular or occasional contributors would not be required to apply the full requirements of the Editorial Guidelines to their social media use.

Actors, dramatists, comedians, musicians and pundits who work for the BBC are not subject to the requirements of impartiality on social media.

Independent production companies that produce social media content which is directly or indirectly associated with the BBC should ensure that this Guidance is followed. Companies should refer to their usual commissioning contact to discuss the application if required.

Newry Hibs
11-03-2023, 12:36 PM
I wonder how many of the presenters and their precious principals managed to hide them enough when they ****ed off to Qatar for the world cup

Fergus52
11-03-2023, 12:42 PM
From the guidlines, not rules.

Funny how they're happy to turn a blind eye to Andrew Neil tweeting biases nonsens for years while presenting the BBC flagship politics programme

Lago
11-03-2023, 12:46 PM
I wonder how many of the presenters and their precious principals managed to hide them enough when they ****ed off to Qatar for the world cup
Ah but that was different, everyone who was anyone left their principles at home in the hurry to be there.

Fergus52
11-03-2023, 12:47 PM

What you describe used to be the case, but the BBC have been heavily biased to the Tories for nearly a decade now. They don't ask any difficult questions of the government.

Peter Oborne, who himself is/was a Tory and is certainly centre right, has written extensively on it. Some of his articles on the subject are really insightful

Glory Lurker
11-03-2023, 12:49 PM

No doubt their going over there raises awkward questions for all involved.

It's a wholly different issue to this one though, where what's happening is Lineker being censored. In this country. By the state broadcaster.

MWHIBBIES
11-03-2023, 12:52 PM

They didn't, though. They spoke about it numerous times, exactly as they are speaking about this.

Newry Hibs
11-03-2023, 12:56 PM
They didn't, though. They spoke about it numerous times, exactly as they are speaking about this.

Yes. Spoke about it in the stadiums built by the very same people they were so concerned with.

Bostonhibby
11-03-2023, 01:03 PM
The Conservative Party placed Tories at the top of the BBC's management to ensure it is not impartial.Here they are, absolutely impartial

https://twitter.com/armoaning/status/1634462498924421120?t=S46uAi2ZaH9vN6NjLa5NuQ&s=08

.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230311/3470f23091c99ec9995aa39750870dda.jpg

GreenNWhiteArmy
11-03-2023, 01:04 PM
They've got coverage for 2 live FA Cup games next weekend. Interesting week ahead for sure

He's here!
11-03-2023, 01:05 PM
Wonder if Sportscene results comes out in solidarity with fellowship down south?

Sky Sports News must be loving this afternoon/evening.

MWHIBBIES
11-03-2023, 01:07 PM
Yes. Spoke about it in the stadiums built by the very same people they were so concerned with.

Yes, in front of hundreds of millions. Quite a powerful statement. Says a lot about you if that's all you took from it.

Newry Hibs
11-03-2023, 01:15 PM
Yes, in front of hundreds of millions. Quite a powerful statement. Says a lot about you if that's all you took from it.

Could have said the same things to the 'hundreds' of millions from the studios in the UK.

Billy Whizz
11-03-2023, 01:17 PM

Sportsound have gone off air, playing podcasts now

H18 SFR
11-03-2023, 01:20 PM

Seriously?

Billy Whizz
11-03-2023, 01:25 PM
Seriously?

Yup

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/64857964

Kato
11-03-2023, 01:29 PM
Yes. Spoke about it in the stadiums built by the very same people they were so concerned with.But they didn't hide the opinions, as you stated above.

He's here!
11-03-2023, 02:05 PM

You make a valid point. The human rights atrocities perpetuated in getting Qatar ready for the World Cup were a great deal more outrageous than a proposed UK govt policy to deal with illegal migrants, yet the whole thing went ahead regardless. Lineker & co coming out with a few barbed comments about the regime meant next to nothing. Fitba had to win out ken? It was a disgraceful the World Cup was played there.

Of course by endorsing their pundits' criticism of the regime the BBC weren't exactly showing their impartiality.

Iain G
11-03-2023, 02:05 PM

It does seem like every cloud has a silver lining 🤣😁

He's here!
11-03-2023, 02:06 PM

That doesn't seem to be the case. Unfortunately ;-)

Moulin Yarns
11-03-2023, 02:39 PM

Seriously?

They had full coverage og Hearts v Celtc and are now covering Morton Partick. Just no analysis of the cup game.

Alfred E Newman
11-03-2023, 02:41 PM

It makes you wonder why so many people want to risk their lives to come here if it’s such a bad place. Why not just stay safely in France or other EU countries?
I don’t think there were many Jews or other persecuted people desperate to make their way to Germany in the 1930s.

Since452
11-03-2023, 02:43 PM
Might watch MOTD now. Dont really need the pundits anyway. Will be more enjoyable without the likes of Shearer who would eat himself if he could.

gbhibby
11-03-2023, 02:45 PM
Might watch MOTD now. Dont really need the pundits anyway.
You can get the highlights on YouTube from Sky well before match of the Day

The Tubs
11-03-2023, 03:01 PM
It makes you wonder why so many people want to risk their lives to come here if it’s such a bad place. Why not just stay safely in France or other EU countries?
I don’t think there were many Jews or other persecuted people desperate to make their way to Germany in the 1930s.

Once you've taken the much riskier crossing of the Mediterranean on, a short trip across the channel, where friends or family may be waiting, probably seems straightforward. It also has the benefit of ensuring the UK doesn't freeload on other European nations and takes its fair share, especially as, at the end of the day, our willingness to start wars and obtain plunder — unlike other European nations in this century — has led to the existence of many of these asylum seekers.

Lago
11-03-2023, 03:11 PM
You can get the highlights on YouTube from Sky well before match of the Day
Or watch ITV4 at 9pm and catch up EFL highlights, watch Porto/Watford and Maloney /Wigan for a bit of Hibs interest.

Alfred E Newman
11-03-2023, 03:21 PM
Once you've taken the much riskier crossing of the Mediterranean on, a short trip across the channel, where friends or family may be waiting, probably seems straightforward. It also has the benefit of ensuring the UK doesn't freeload on other European nations and takes its fair share, especially as, at the end of the day, our willingness to start wars and obtain plunder — unlike other European nations in this century — has led to the existence of many of these asylum seekers.

But the majority seem to be coming from Albania now. What are these young men seeking asylum from?

Iain G
11-03-2023, 03:27 PM
But the majority seem to be coming from Albania now. What are these young men seeking asylum from?

They want to live in a country where they have pundits on their national football highlight shows, in Albania they just have the game with no sounds and no analysis due to totalitarian government interference.

They love that Micah Richards.

Moulin Yarns
11-03-2023, 03:29 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64926313

Sportscene affected too.

Iain G
11-03-2023, 03:30 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64926313

Sportscene affected too.

"Limited sports programming", how could we tell the difference this week compared the normal limited pish they serve up? 🤣

Lago
11-03-2023, 03:33 PM
"Limited sports programming", how could we tell the difference this week compared the normal limited pish they serve up? 🤣
Guess David Currie will not be reading out the English football scores, only the Scottish ones 😂

Bostonhibby
11-03-2023, 03:33 PM
"Limited sports programming", how could we tell the difference this week compared the normal limited pish they serve up? [emoji1787]I think limited sports programming is just the standard advertising description here.

He's here!
11-03-2023, 03:36 PM

Indeed. This sounds like a potential improvement.

Moulin Yarns
11-03-2023, 03:36 PM

Of course it's limited, there is only last night's game and today's

Glory Lurker
11-03-2023, 03:37 PM

If we could process asylum claims at a better fraction of the rate we used to, we'd be able to find out.

Lago
11-03-2023, 03:44 PM
Vast improvement to Sportscene, been replaced by the repair shop:greengrin

Just Alf
11-03-2023, 03:58 PM
But the majority seem to be coming from Albania now. What are these young men seeking asylum from?Apparently that's arguable and driven by the Daily Express types etc.

That said, if that is actually the case, why bother with the new legislation when we already have an agreement with the Albanian government about returning economic migrants?

gbhibby
11-03-2023, 04:08 PM
Vast improvement to Sportscene, been replaced by the repair shop:greengrin
Well done Gary Lineker😁

A Hi-Bee
11-03-2023, 04:13 PM
The answer is in the name-British Broadcasting Corporation, it is an arm of the British Government, always has been and always will be, why do you think you also have to pay a tax for it (they call it a T.V. Licence)
Dont even like his adverts for Walkers crisps, but what he says means nothing to me and dont see why he should not be allowed his own opinions same as all the rest of us, even if he speaks a load of sheite.
Above is of course all in my own humble opinion.

Calidad
11-03-2023, 04:21 PM

A lot are drawn to the grey economy; the perception that it’s much easier to find work in the UK. That’s also why the majority are young men.

hhibs
11-03-2023, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=Stairway 2 7;7305304]I'd bet most would think you are a bigot apologist, but your allowed your opinion as this isn't Nazi Germany.[/QUO.

Yet !!

Donegal Hibby
11-03-2023, 04:38 PM
Gary Lineker reportly offered a new Job with BT sports ( according to the sun)

Stairway 2 7
11-03-2023, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=Stairway 2 7;7305304]I'd bet most would think you are a bigot apologist, but your allowed your opinion as this isn't Nazi Germany.[/QUO.

Yet !!

He's allowed it he wouldn't be banned for it, but I have the freedom to say its bigoted crap. I don't mind people in government disagreeing with GL I do mind the government censoring him

A few on this thread would have told our founding players to go back to their own country as there is no room here, why were they allowed to come from Ireland just for a better life

Lago
11-03-2023, 05:14 PM
Gary Lineker reportly offered a new Job with BT sports ( according to the sun)
Does he not already do work for them, sure I've seen him Jenus and others on BT doing European ties, also Wright repeatedly popping up on ITV doing punditry for them.

Dalianwanda
11-03-2023, 05:15 PM
Could have said the same things to the 'hundreds' of millions from the studios in the UK.

Your having a bit of a mare here......the point is it was ok to be political if it wasnt against the ****show of a tory government

Newry Hibs
11-03-2023, 05:50 PM
Your having a bit of a mare here......the point is it was ok to be political if it wasnt against the ****show of a tory government

My original point was about the faux outrage of the other presenters who have suddenly found their solidarity which was missing in their jolly to qatar.

I actually think linekar ahould be able to say what he wants

Donegal Hibby
11-03-2023, 06:06 PM
Does he not already do work for them, sure I've seen him Jenus and others on BT doing European ties, also Wright repeatedly popping up on ITV doing punditry for them.
I think he has already worked for BT sports though article says BT sport's are changing over in the summer and will be called TNT sports and want Lineker as there presenter though it is the ' sun ' so might be a load of tom kite .

Dalianwanda
11-03-2023, 06:14 PM
My original point was about the faux outrage of the other presenters who have suddenly found their solidarity which was missing in their jolly to qatar.

Faux outrage or just standing up for what they believe in in terms of freedom of speech (and back up a college/friend)...Qatar was a horrible decision and right from the off the BBC made sure their presenters (wherever they were) made it clear of their views...The problem here is someone outside of bbc communication channels has been censored for doing the same but in relation to our own government. The problem is the hypocrisy & lack of consistency around the approach to being impartial. They did stand up against the qatar decision (whether that was just lip services is open to review)

Baader
11-03-2023, 06:33 PM
I think he has already worked for BT sports though article says BT sport's are changing over in the summer and will be called TNT sports and want Lineker as there presenter though it is the ' sun ' so might be a load of tom kite .

He presented Champions League for BT Sport but gave this up in 2021. There's no truth at all in that story about him being approached.

hibsbollah
11-03-2023, 06:43 PM

The most numerous nationality on the boats is actually Afghanis.
I’m assuming we don’t need a history lesson as to why they might be crossing the channel without a paddle.

Just Alf
11-03-2023, 06:51 PM
The most numerous nationality on the boats is actually Afghanis.
I’m assuming we don’t need a history lesson as to why they might be crossing the channel without a paddle.It really is crazy...according to a home office FOI answer, they can't apply for asylum unless they're in the UK.
Our government is introducing a law that states they can't apply for asylum once in the UK.

??????

Glory Lurker
11-03-2023, 06:51 PM

But the two things are different. This is about Lineker being censored by the state broadcaster. Qatar is irrelevant.

Zazu62
11-03-2023, 06:53 PM
No pundits on sportscene

A Hi-Bee
11-03-2023, 06:56 PM
No pundits on sportscene

Now that is a real shame, it might just be watchable now.
:greengrin

number9dream
11-03-2023, 07:14 PM
Might watch MOTD now. Dont really need the pundits anyway. Will be more enjoyable without the likes of Shearer who would eat himself if he could.

Twenty minute show with no commentary either... Not sure it will get the record audience many were predicting.

leithsansiro
11-03-2023, 08:15 PM
But the two things are different. This is about Lineker being censored by the state broadcaster. Qatar is irrelevant.

Agreed!
There’s a bit of whataboutery sneaking into this thread where people are comparing Qatar hosting the World Cup to the Lineker tweets. Yes, he presented from Qatar. He also quite publicly spoke out against the context of the tournament. He exerted his ability to use free speech in the current situation to speak up for those who don’t have a voice and question the political motives of those leading our country.

The values here are consistent and there’s not an hypocrisy.

“Oh but he’s a millionaire. Why doesn’t he give all his money to these refugees then?” There’s not enough eye rolls in the world that can be done in response to some of the nonsense like this that Daily Mail-reading, government apologists are spouting on social media

jacomo
11-03-2023, 08:29 PM
By all accounts the vast majority of the people risking their lives crossing the channel in small boats are not refugees though.

You are factually wrong.

You are entitled to your opinion but you are not entitled to make up the facts.

You’re also missing the point spectacularly.

Box 17
11-03-2023, 08:47 PM
The football punditry community all coming out to support Lineker's right to free speech.
Where were they when Matt Le Tissier was sacked by Sky for voicing his opinions on government policy?

Glory Lurker
11-03-2023, 08:52 PM
The football punditry community all coming out to support Lineker's right to free speech.
Where were they when Matt Le Tissier was sacked by Sky for voicing his opinions on government policy?

Sky isn't the state broadcaster.

matty_f
11-03-2023, 08:54 PM
You mean you'll be on here?

Aw naw.....

Sorry about that.

Box 17
11-03-2023, 09:22 PM
Sky isn't the state broadcaster.

So what? It's the same principle.

Brightside
11-03-2023, 09:44 PM

They are all self employed. Which makes the BBC stance even worse. They have no input to what any one them say on their own platform. BBC is too linked to the Tory government unfortunately. Anyone that watches QT would have seen that for years.

Rumble de Thump
11-03-2023, 09:46 PM

Sky Sports said they dropped Le Tissier, along with Charlie Nicholas and Phil Thompson, due to cost cutting measures in response to the pandemic. Le Tissier feels he was dropped because he was sharing dangerous conspiracy theories and misinformation on social media. Lineker stated a fact.

Brightside
11-03-2023, 09:51 PM
MLT is a nut job.

easty
11-03-2023, 09:58 PM

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Such convoluted nonsense.

Le Tissier and Lineker situations are nothing alike.

Baader
11-03-2023, 10:02 PM

It's not at all.

Lago
11-03-2023, 10:07 PM
Twenty minute show with no commentary either... Not sure it will get the record audience many were predicting.
Just watched it and found I missed the match commentary along with the after match manager's interview. Didn't miss the expert pundits waffle so much, I think that part of the show could be trimmed quite a bit.

hibby rae
11-03-2023, 10:28 PM

What's your source?

Not according to the UNHCR:

“Based on currently available Home Office data, UNHCR considers that a clear majority of those recently arriving to the United Kingdom by boat are likely to be refugees. Refugees and asylum seekers are not, and should not be described as, ‘migrants’,”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/02/clear-majority-of-people-crossing-channel-are-refugees-says-unhcr

Around 2/3ish are are refugees

https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/latest/news/majority-of-people-on-small-boats-crossing-channel-last-year-are-refugees-new-analysis-shows/

Box 17
11-03-2023, 10:41 PM
Sky Sports said they dropped Le Tissier, along with Charlie Nicholas and Phil Thompson, due to cost cutting measures in response to the pandemic. Le Tissier feels he was dropped because he was sharing dangerous conspiracy theories and misinformation on social media. Lineker stated a fact.

No. Lineker stated his opinion.

Whether or not Le Tissier's opinions were dangerous conspiracy theories or not, they were his opinions. Where were all the pundits supporting his right to free speech?

Glory Lurker
11-03-2023, 11:12 PM

It completely isn't. Sky is paid for by advertisers. They can call the shots. It's a commercial channel.

The BBC is supposed to be special. That's why we pay for it.

Baader
11-03-2023, 11:38 PM

Whether or not Le Tissier's opinions were dangerous conspiracy theories or not, they were his opinions. Where were all the pundits supporting his right to free speech?

Sorry but this misses the point. The BBC is a publicly owned state broadcaster, as they are quite proud of showing Jimmy Reid in their most recent promo state, "it belongs to all of us." Its state owned and publicly funded and its supposed to be impartial. Sky isn't. Nor is something like GB News to use an extreme case in point.

It means those working for the latter are not subject to the same rules and guidance as the BBC. The like of GB News can hire and fire as they choose and their content can be dictated and controlled by those who own the channel as a private enterprise - providing it falls within Ofcom guidelines.

That's not the case with the BBC as a public broadcaster. I've worked in sport broadcasting for 20 years and I'm ex BBC London. The accountability as a public broadcaster is very different to the likes of Sky or BT Sport (I've worked for both.) And rightfully so.

For what it's worth I think the BBC has potentially breached its own guidelines here by standing Lineker down. And that's not an opinion, it's an interpretation of their own policy. The Beeb has had Tory plants for years now trying to turn it into a pro government propaganda machine and this is ultimately what is playing out.

MWHIBBIES
11-03-2023, 11:42 PM

Le Tissier's opinions are things that can be factually proven to be lies with science. Linekers opinion is an actual opinion, which certainly leans towards being truth. The language is similar to fascist regimes.

He's here!
11-03-2023, 11:45 PM
Just watched it and found I missed the match commentary along with the after match manager's interview. Didn't miss the expert pundits waffle so much, I think that part of the show could be trimmed quite a bit.

I made a point of tuning in for a bit just to see what it was like. Quite enjoyed it. Had a rawness about it with just the crowd noise. As you say the punditry is a bit of a cushy gig that I could happily live without.

Baader
11-03-2023, 11:57 PM
I made a point of tuning in for a bit just to see what it was like. Quite enjoyed it. Had a rawness about it with just the crowd noise. As you say the punditry is a bit of a cushy gig that I could happily live without.

Each his own. I thought it was s**te

Crunchie
12-03-2023, 06:01 AM
How it should be from now on, save millions and spare us some ex pros analysis on a football match that no one really cares about anyway.
Mind you, there are people out there that hang on every word they say.

Jack
12-03-2023, 06:05 AM

Just the crowd noise?!?!

The crowd should have supported GL and remained silent 🤫

(This is sort of a lighthearted joke BTW)

Carheenlea
12-03-2023, 07:24 AM
Has an air of Lineker having already presented his last MotD. Be interesting to see what develops if that is the case.

Might even be the last ever MotD as none of Gary Lineker’s peers appear willing to present/commentate/pontificate without him.

Complete rebrand on its way perhaps.

Svengali
12-03-2023, 07:32 AM
Makes you wish Sportsound pundits would tweet something controversial.

Having them off air would be superb

Carheenlea
12-03-2023, 07:38 AM
Makes you wish Sportsound pundits would tweet something controversial.

Having them off air would be superb

One of the decent ones did and found himself out of a job.

Picked the wrong club to tweet about.

Stairway 2 7
12-03-2023, 07:40 AM
Hope the scabs that said they would prefer the lack of commentary liked the rubbish last night. Just watched a clip of it online awful

DIXIHIBS
12-03-2023, 08:00 AM
Each his own. I thought it was s**te

Ive just watched MOTD just now and thought it was crap without the commentary.

Greenbeard
12-03-2023, 08:12 AM
Hope the scabs that said they would prefer the lack of commentary liked the rubbish last night. Just watched a clip of it online awful
I think most folk said they were interested to see it without the analysis and punditry, not for there to be no commentary. I was one and I stand by that. But I agree that not having a commentary wasn't great. Sometimes I've wished for an option to mute the commentary but still to have the crowd noise, but having watched last night I'd only favour that for games where I know the majority of the players.

heretoday
12-03-2023, 08:16 AM
Gary's remarks on Twitter are his own opinion. Fair enough.

But he owes his profile to the BBC who are employing him and that's a special position to be in. Frankly, he's a football pundit and should not get mixed up in politics. If he had said something about the Royal Family would that be OK?

What if he was a right winger, politically? Pardon the allusion!

Would it be ok then?