Praying for the guy.

Took ages for emergency services to get to him

Hiber-nation
08-03-2023, 09:44 PM
Anyone know if he is ok? Was scary from
Where i was sitting. Didn't look good.

Praying for the guy.

Took ages for emergency services to get to him

From where I was sitting he seemed to be conscious when the paramedics took him away. Very scary.

18Craig75
08-03-2023, 09:58 PM
I was close to the incident and I just want to say how pathetic the response was from stewards, police and paramedics.

After being alerted from a fan, the steward walked to get his supervisor (no radio comms??). The supervisor then took an age to get to the patient, then stood looking gormless for a few minutes.

By now we’re on probably 7 minutes since the patient collapsed/sought medical attention. The only attention they have received is from a fan.

Another couple of minutes pass and no further help arrives. Fans then start waving frantically at paramedics sitting in the FF stand, one fan runs down the stairs and over to the FF where he finally gets their attention (what we’re they doing??). The same fan points out the incident, paramedics take a leisurely stroll. The fan then physically pushes the paramedics along knowing the urgency of the situation.

So probably 12 minutes pass before the paramedics arrive.
Genuinely shocked at how poor the response was. Hope the person is okay.

Edit: Kieran Power arrived during the incident., I hope he will feedback to the club how inadequate the response was. At the end of the day the club outsources security and safety on a match day; standards tonight were way below what you’d expect.

Hiber-nation
08-03-2023, 10:10 PM
I was close to the incident and I just want to say how pathetic the response was from stewards, police and paramedics.

After being alerted from a fan, the steward walked to get his supervisor (no radio comms??). The supervisor then took an age to get to the patient, then stood looking gormless for a few minutes.

By now we’re on probably 7 minutes since the patient collapsed/sought medical attention. The only attention they have received is from a fan.

Another couple of minutes pass and no further help arrives. Fans then start waving frantically at paramedics sitting in the FF stand, one fan runs down the stairs and over to the FF where he finally gets their attention (what we’re they doing??). The same fan points out the incident, paramedics take a leisurely stroll. The fan then physically pushes the paramedics along knowing the urgency of the situation.

Edit: Kieran Power arrived during the incident., I hope he will feedback to the club how inadequate the response was. At the end of the day the club outsources security and safety on a match day; standards tonight were way below what you’d expect.

Aye it was dreadful. The paramedics looked across as if to say "what us?". The female steward seemed to think it was all a bit of a laugh, not sure what planet she was on. The policeman had a word in her ear and told her to calm it.

dp00
09-03-2023, 05:43 AM
It’s always surprised me that the stewards aren’t in radio contact , they walk up and down the steps of the east for example , what are they meant to do if something happens when they are at the top ? Walk all way back down then go find someone who can get help ?

Hopefully tonight can highlight the need to review and change so if anything happens again we can get quicker response

Hope the fan is ok

hibbyboy1
09-03-2023, 05:52 AM

One of the paramedics was mor interested in rangers scoring as he was having a casual stroll across.

Bristolhibby
09-03-2023, 06:11 AM
Reading this I'm dumbfounded by the response.

Totally unacceptable. Hope the guy is alright.

Everyone knows in these situations seconds count literally life or death.

Sounds like they reacted like my son looking for his school shoes before he leaves the house.

J

Svengali
09-03-2023, 06:14 AM

I was at the game with the fan who ran down to FF to get some attention.

If a player had collapsed on the pitch they’d have received medical attention straight away and it would be said how lucky they were to be in that place when something happened.

As someone else said female steward seemed to think it was a big laugh

HH81
09-03-2023, 06:24 AM
Hope the person is all good.

As for the steward, let's hope she is no longer seen at ER. Awful behaviour.

Trinity Hibee
09-03-2023, 06:41 AM
Sad to read that the response was poor and hope the person is alright. Did see people in front of me looking backwards but didn’t see anything myself.

Hopefully the club raise this with the stewards/police so it doesn’t happen again.

oconnors_strip
09-03-2023, 06:44 AM
I seen the man being unwell from my seat (I sit a few rows in front and over the stairs) so I ran up to help. I have the same condition as him so as soon as I seen him I knew how to give first aid and make him safe, and also speak to his son who knew what to do. I timed how long the episode lasted due to the type and it was concerning how long the first aiders arrived to give that aid. I went back to my seat after ensuring the fan was getting the medical attention he needed. The first aiders and paramedics took the gentleman out on a evac chair, he was conscious and had oxygen.

I am also concerned at the time it took for the security guy to get his supervisor who then I presumed radioed for help. His supervisor could have been down the other end of the east stand, all these seconds/minutes matter, especially if the person is needing treatment within a certain timescale to help save them. Whilst I was helping the unwell gentleman, a big security supervisor was shouting and pushing a fan because the fan was shouting about getting medical help quickly, that supervisor should not have responded like that in any situation.

Hopefully Hibs, the security and the medical responders have a debrief about this and can learn for when they may need to respond to another medical incident.

Trinity Hibee
09-03-2023, 06:47 AM
I seen the man being unwell from my seat (I sit a few rows in front and over the stairs) so I ran up to help. I have the same condition as him so as soon as I seen him I knew how to give first aid and make him safe, and also speak to his son who knew what to do. I timed how long the episode lasted due to the type and it was concerning how long the first aiders arrived to give that aid. I went back to my seat after ensuring the fan was getting the medical attention he needed. The first aiders and paramedics took the gentleman out on a evac chair, he was conscious and had oxygen.

I am also concerned at the time it took for the security guy to get his supervisor who then I presumed radioed for help. His supervisor could have been down the other end of the east stand, all these seconds/minutes matter, especially if the person is needing treatment within a certain timescale to help save them. Whilst I was helping the unwell gentleman, a big security supervisor was shouting and pushing a fan because the fan was shouting about getting medical help quickly, that supervisor should not have responded like that in any situation.

Hopefully Hibs, the security and the medical responders have a debrief about this and can learn for when they may need to respond to another medical incident.

Well done! Shocking to hear a supervisor is pushing back at a fan in a situation like that. Sounds like it’s not the right job for him.

neil7908
09-03-2023, 06:47 AM

Sounds like the official response was poor but well done on your reaction and help.

oconnors_strip
09-03-2023, 06:49 AM
Sounds like the official response was poor but well done on your reaction and help.

Thanks, I just done what a lot of people would do or would like to do.

Hiber-nation
09-03-2023, 07:06 AM
Thanks, I just done what a lot of people would do or would like to do.

Saw you coming up to help, well done.

Pretty Boy
09-03-2023, 07:12 AM
There was an incident in front of me in the FF Upper a few years back and I remember commenting at the time that the response from the stewards, first aiders and Paramedics was poor. I was shouted down at the time but it's interesting to read it still seems to be an issue.

The biggest problem seemed to be a lack of knowledge of the stadium. I remember people screaming at the paramedics and first aiders, who were making their way from the West, to hurry up and it did look like they were just taking a leisurely stroll. In reality I think they just didn't really know where they were going. They got to the corner that has the TV studio set up and were just sort of standing about looking for guidance and eventually a steward went and got them but the delay was a good 3 or 4 minutes which in a lot of situations is crucial. A bit concerning to read there still seems to be similar issues.

Maybe something for Hibs to consider looking at going forward.

Broxburn Greens
09-03-2023, 07:12 AM
Hope the person makes a full recovery.

Saw the guy running down the touchline to get the first aiders and then having to literally shove them along. Also watched the paramedics strolling across the front of the FF a few minutes later towards the incident. Seemed a total lack of urgency.

Seen there was an ambulance came past the back of the FF to the East at HT as well.

JimBHibees
09-03-2023, 07:21 AM
There was an incident in front of me in the FF Upper a few years back and I remember commenting at the time that the response from the stewards, first aiders and Paramedics was poor. I was shouted down at the time but it's interesting to read it still seems to be an issue.

The biggest problem seemed to be a lack of knowledge of the stadium. I remember people screaming at the paramedics and first aiders, who were making their way from the West, to hurry up and it did look like they were just taking a leisurely stroll. In reality I think they just didn't really know where they were going. They got to the corner that has the TV studio set up and were just sort of standing about looking for guidance and eventually a steward went and got them but the delay was a good 3 or 4 minutes which in a lot of situations is crucial. A bit concerning to read there still seems to be similar issues.

Maybe something for Hibs to consider looking at going forward.

Yep I remember that one in ff upper. The reaction to what was clearly an emergency was incredibly poor.

DIXIHIBS
09-03-2023, 07:53 AM
Happened just a few rows down from me and the guy seemed to be conscious but on a drip. Agree to all comments regarding the lack of action from the stewards. Spoke to the guy at half time who literally ran from the east to the FF to get the medics attention. Needs to be looked at seriously. Hope the man makes full recovery.

Svengali
09-03-2023, 09:13 AM
Thanks for update folks, been concerned about the guy since it happened.

Greenbeard
09-03-2023, 09:23 AM
Makes you wonder what sort of training the stewards get. I coach voluntarily in another sport and it is about to be compulsory to do a basic first aid course as part of your coach licence. Also have defib/cpr training due at my golf club. Surely as professionals working in such an environment the stewards are trained how to respond to such incidents. As with head knocks on the pitch, initially they should treat any collapse such as described as if it is really serious - potentially life threatening.

Trinity Hibee
09-03-2023, 09:29 AM
Makes you wonder what sort of training the stewards get. I coach voluntarily in another sport and it is about to be compulsory to do a basic first aid course as part of your coach licence. Also have defib/cpr training due at my golf club. Surely as professionals working in such an environment the stewards are trained how to respond to such incidents. As with head knocks on the pitch, initially they should treat any collapse such as described as if it is really serious - potentially life threatening.

You’d think there is some basic training but basic common sense should tell anyone to deal with a medical issue with some kind of urgency especially if those around the person are asking for it.

Mon Dieu4
09-03-2023, 09:33 AM
There were plenty of police kicking about as well, saw a guy at halftime complaining to a policeman about the shambles, the policeman just told him to take it up with the club which made it worse

Santa Cruz
09-03-2023, 09:36 AM

I'm going back 20 odd years, first aid training was a mandatory part of the full induction course, would think it's still the same. Very basic, maybe about a 4hr class. I've done first aid training for adults and kids, every class I've attended everyone passes and gets their cert. The thing is like most training it can be difficult to remember what you've learnt if you're not having to use your new knowledge frequently enough to retain it. It could also be a confidence issue where you could be fine in a training scenario environment, then when it comes to real life you either freeze or panic.

Hope the man is now recovering, and well done to the poster who assisted him.

Golden Bear
09-03-2023, 10:51 AM
Back in the day, if someone needed medical attention then fans in the vicinity used to wave white hankies to alert the medics that they were needed urgently.

After reading some of the previous posts then its obvious that the present "system" is failing miserably and needs addressed urgently.

green&left
09-03-2023, 11:35 AM

There is no training for most stewards, there's not even a requirement to speak English with some of the firms. Join an agency, get picked up at Glasgow or Livingston if they can't get enough from Edinburgh, get £9.50 an hour and your yellow jacket and get told were to stand for 3-4 hours. The SIA guys and supervisors will have training and potentially mic'd up but the majority aren't.

sadtom
09-03-2023, 12:00 PM
Happened about 20 seats to the left of me. I hope the fella is ok.
As others have said the length of time and the apparent lack of urgency shown was both disgraceful and worrying.
If someone requires medical attention then they should be sprinting across the pitch to help, without permission from the ref. F*** the fitba, I don’t care if it costs us a goal the only consideration should be for the life of the person. That should be their instructions.

I hope the fans rep, Keiran, reads this and comments on this thread, as it was totally unacceptable.

LunasBoots
09-03-2023, 12:09 PM

Loads work cash in hands and recieve no training, they ha e to report to a supervisor, I know multiple people who work the games like this, security firm just doesn't haven't the number qualified for the demand of games

Hibernian Verse
09-03-2023, 12:11 PM
Loads work cash in hands and recieve no training, they ha e to report to a supervisor, I know multiple people who work the games like this, security firm just doesn't haven't the number qualified for the demand of games

Off topic but as I was leaving the ground two young kiosk staff members were walking behind me talking about whether or not they'd get paid for this week as they still hadn't been paid for the previous game.

danhibees1875
09-03-2023, 02:06 PM
There is no training for most stewards, there's not even a requirement to speak English with some of the firms. Join an agency, get picked up at Glasgow or Livingston if they can't get enough from Edinburgh, get £9.50 an hour and your yellow jacket and get told were to stand for 3-4 hours. The SIA guys and supervisors will have training and potentially mic'd up but the majority aren't.

I was a steward about 10 years ago and there was no training, at least not for those without SIA license. They're not there for half the things people think they're there for - although it sounds like could/should have reacted better in this particular situation regardless!

Getting everyone trained and licensed and wired up with microphones/radios would probably cost Hibs a fair bit of £ every week - if G4S (if they're still the ones used) were even able to staff such a request.

gbhibby
09-03-2023, 02:21 PM
There were plenty of police kicking about as well, saw a guy at halftime complaining to a policeman about the shambles, the policeman just told him to take it up with the club which made it worse
Makes you wonder what type of training the police get. Are they not meant to be in the group of first responders.