PDA

View Full Version : West Ham

Colr
04-03-2023, 10:59 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/03/west-ham-used-club-money-to-donate-conservative-party-2022

Interesting! Won’t make them popular with their landlords London Borough of Newham.

SJNB Hibby
04-03-2023, 11:49 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/03/west-ham-used-club-money-to-donate-conservative-party-2022

Interesting! Won’t make them popular with their landlords London Borough of Newham.

Alf Garnett will be rolling over in his grave

GordonHFC
04-03-2023, 11:57 AM
Alf Garnett will be rolling over in his grave

He was a Tory wasn't he?

SJNB Hibby
04-03-2023, 12:07 PM
He was a Tory wasn't he?
Maybe? was it the son who was a Liverpool supporter that was the Labour voter?
I'm getting old

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2023, 12:08 PM
That's just incredible. I don't think I would be able to adequately express my anger if Hibs were to do such a thing, football clubs supports are a broad church and a club simply can't be seen to support a particular political party. The owners and board members can do what they want with their own money and bang the drum for whatever their personal politics are if they want. But donating the actual clubs money .... bloody hell !!!

Imagine how many fans we would lose if it was discovered that even 1% of the season ticket money was going to the f'ing Tories?

Lancs Harp
04-03-2023, 12:12 PM
He was a Tory wasn't he?

Alf Garnett was a tory and supported West Ham
Warren Mitchell was a Labour man and supported Spurs

JGS56
04-03-2023, 12:12 PM
Maybe? was it the son who was a Liverpool supporter that was the Labour voter?
I'm getting old
Alf was a Tory supporter and his son-in-law was a Labour supporter.
It was very funny at the time, but would not be allowed on the TV nowadays.

SJNB Hibby
04-03-2023, 12:14 PM
That's right. Alf complained that England wore Red shirts in the WC Final because Labour were in power at the time

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-03-2023, 12:15 PM
I'm far from being serious here but, it's a small price to pay for Boris sorting out the Olympic Stadium for them! 🙄

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2023, 12:17 PM

Anthony Booth who played Alf son in law is the father of Cherie Blair wife of erstwhile PM Tony Blair :greengrin

HarpOnHibee
04-03-2023, 01:52 PM
I reckon we'd all be pretty shocked if it was revealed to us just how much money ultimately get's funnelled into that party. Including through our own purchasing choices.

heretoday
04-03-2023, 02:33 PM

Silly old moo!

Is It On....
04-03-2023, 02:39 PM
He was a Tory wasn't he?

Actually a Spurs fan in real life..

ErinGoBraghHFC
04-03-2023, 02:43 PM
Now imagine the rage in the daily mail comments section if Liverpool for example were donating to the Labour Party or Hibs/Celtic/Aberdeen or whoever to the SNP. Would be enough gammon to keep David Cameron and his pals occupied for a good while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarpOnHibee
04-03-2023, 02:45 PM
Now imagine the rage in the daily mail comments section if Liverpool for example were donating to the Labour Party or Hibs/Celtic/Aberdeen or whoever to the SNP. Would be enough gammon to keep David Cameron and his pals occupied for a good while.

Tom Farmer donated 100k to the SNP once IIRC. But I believe he's donated to other parties as well.

ErinGoBraghHFC
04-03-2023, 02:50 PM
Tom Farmer donated 100k to the SNP once IIRC. But I believe he's donated to other parties as well.

That’s different to Hibernian FC donating to the SNP though, is it not?

HarpOnHibee
04-03-2023, 02:52 PM
That’s different to Hibernian FC donating to the SNP though, is it not?

Correct. But I'm sure it didn't stop some people from having a moan about it anyway. :greengrin

McHibby
04-03-2023, 03:17 PM
I'm far from being serious here but, it's a small price to pay for Boris sorting out the Olympic Stadium for them! 🙄

The sentiment is probably not too far off the mark, tbf. People/ businesses who give money to political parties aren't doing it out of the goodness of their heart.

Liam6270
04-03-2023, 04:04 PM
Money well spent

StirlingHibee
04-03-2023, 05:22 PM
That's just incredible. I don't think I would be able to adequately express my anger if Hibs were to do such a thing, football clubs supports are a broad church and a club simply can't be seen to support a particular political party. The owners and board members can do what they want with their own money and bang the drum for whatever their personal politics are if they want. But donating the actual clubs money .... bloody hell !!!

Imagine how many fans we would lose if it was discovered that even 1% of the season ticket money was going to the f'ing Tories?

Imagine how many fans we would lose if it was discovered that even 1% of the season ticket money was going to the f'ing SNP!!

Jack Hackett
04-03-2023, 05:48 PM
Imagine how many fans we would lose if it was discovered that even 1% of the season ticket money was going to the f'ing SNP!!
That's a broad assumption

ErinGoBraghHFC
04-03-2023, 05:57 PM

I’d imagine it’d be a much lower number than if it was going to the selfservatives, however I see your point. Not keen on clubs donating to political parties full stop

GreenNWhiteArmy
04-03-2023, 06:05 PM
I'd imagine they'll be on the hunt for a new gaffer before the evening is done

ian cruise
04-03-2023, 08:16 PM

I think regardless of supporter's political leanings this is accurate.

Every season we have fans upset about anything that is not the first team (stadium, hospitality, women's team, development team, etc.), just giving money away to any political party instead of spending of the club would surely prove unpopular.

scoopyboy
04-03-2023, 08:26 PM

Or any political party, not just the tories.

JimBHibees
04-03-2023, 08:50 PM

Or any political party though if they were to choose one snp in terms of social integrity would probably be the one to chose. Options are way worse :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2023, 12:47 AM

Well, to be fair I kind of hinted at that at the start of my post mate, I don't think Hibs should ever give money to any political party. I simply picked on the Tories to illustrate my point because like it or not Edinburgh North and East where the majority of our support comes from isn't exactly noted for it's Conservative leanings is it ... I don't think I would be all that inaccurate if my guess was that we would lose far more fans over a donation to them than the SNP, Labour or the Greens :greengrin

That being said .... I doubt any fan would be happy with donations to any political party, including me.

StirlingHibee
05-03-2023, 03:35 PM
Well, to be fair I kind of hinted at that at the start of my post mate, I don't think Hibs should ever give money to any political party. I simply picked on the Tories to illustrate my point because like it or not Edinburgh North and East where the majority of our support comes from isn't exactly noted for it's Conservative leanings is it ... I don't think I would be all that inaccurate if my guess was that we would lose far more fans over a donation to them than the SNP, Labour or the Greens :greengrin

That being said .... I doubt any fan would be happy with donations to any political party, including me.

You're right mate - you did by referring to fans of football clubs as a broad church which is true and I guess that's the beauty of belonging to a football club that it brings together people from all walks of life or persuasions. Hibs supporters are made of unionists, pro-independence, multiple faiths etc but all that's left behind when we get together to follow our team!

Torto7
05-03-2023, 03:46 PM
That lot as West Ham are involved in plenty of dodgy areas. The 'long fella' being one of them.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2023, 03:48 PM
You're right mate - you did by referring to fans of football clubs as a broad church which is true and I guess that's the beauty of belonging to a football club that it brings together people from all walks of life or persuasions. Hibs supporters are made of unionists, pro-independence, multiple faiths etc but all that's left behind when we get together to follow our team!

Amen to that :flag:

Dunbar Hibee
05-03-2023, 09:11 PM
That lot as West Ham are involved in plenty of dodgy areas. The 'long fella' being one of them.

Eh?

Is It On....
05-03-2023, 10:21 PM

Less than 1 days wages for Declan Rice. I don't think it's right but in the £billionaires Premier League it's really just chicken feed.