PDA

View Full Version : Paul Heckingbottom

Percy Vere
01-03-2023, 10:22 PM
Thought it was worth a wee thread about our erstwhile manager.
Much maligned by many and as usual not given enough time to settle at Hibs. On target for promotion with Sheffield Utd to the Premiership and tonight knocking Tottenham out of the FA Cup. Taking out no less than Wrexham on the way! Quarter final at home with Blackburn, so great chance for semis. Good luck PH

ZitellZeTime
01-03-2023, 10:57 PM
I saw he was doing well with them and was wondering when **** was going to hit the fan but aye he seems to be doing a good job. I do think he was given time though. We played absolutely dreadful and the players looked like they had no clue what they were doing under him. He refused to change the way he did things.

Maybe he is good at his job and he learned lessons from mistakes he made at Hibs but I do think we were right in sacking him. I mean our signing policy has been **** as it is but I'm sure he was of the mindset that any player who was doing half decent in even league 1 in England would stroll it up here for a side outside the old firm.

He actually paid a fee for Tom James, he was a ****ing disaster and he was in the papers talking about how great he was for a whole week and how much we were going to be impressed by him. WBA or someone got a bid accepted by Yeovil for 400k the transfer window before us but he didn't agree personal terms. Guessing either wages or the role he was told he would have at the club in terms of what they saw him as. We got him the next window for an undisclosed fee, I'm guessing it was lower than 400k, or I hope anyway but must have been around 250k if thats the money they were getting offered for him the window before.

He might be a decent manager as he's still doing great in the league and that was a brilliant result for them but I don't think he'd ever watched a Scottish football game in his life or like tons down south think our league is as bad as the welsh league apart from them ***** through west.

It's maybe a bit of both, he's learned from some mistakes made here and more suited to down south. I definitely didn't want him to stay. Think we'd probably have been relegated by now while he plays FM on his laptop and we hear about his degreees etc. Obviously does know what he's doing but I don't think it was the wrong choice to get rid of him at all.

Pagan Hibernia
01-03-2023, 11:12 PM
Glad to see him doing well, nothing against him at all, but I have no regrets whatsoever that he lost the Hibs job when he did. It wasn’t working.

King Cosell
01-03-2023, 11:27 PM
I saw he was doing well with them and was wondering when **** was going to hit the fan but aye he seems to be doing a good job. I do think he was given time though. We played absolutely dreadful and the players looked like they had no clue what they were doing under him. He refused to change the way he did things.

Maybe he is good at his job and he learned lessons from mistakes he made at Hibs but I do think we were right in sacking him. I mean our signing policy has been **** as it is but I'm sure he was of the mindset that any player who was doing half decent in even league 1 in England would stroll it up here for a side outside the old firm.

He actually paid a fee for Tom James, he was a ****ing disaster and he was in the papers talking about how great he was for a whole week and how much we were going to be impressed by him. WBA or someone got a bid accepted by Yeovil for 400k the transfer window before us but he didn't agree personal terms. Guessing either wages or the role he was told he would have at the club in terms of what they saw him as. We got him the next window for an undisclosed fee, I'm guessing it was lower than 400k, or I hope anyway but must have been around 250k if thats the money they were getting offered for him the window before.

He might be a decent manager as he's still doing great in the league and that was a brilliant result for them but I don't think he'd ever watched a Scottish football game in his life or like tons down south think our league is as bad as the welsh league apart from them ***** through west.

It's maybe a bit of both, he's learned from some mistakes made here and more suited to down south. I definitely didn't want him to stay. Think we'd probably have been relegated by now while he plays FM on his laptop and we hear about his degreees etc. Obviously does know what he's doing but I don't think it was the wrong choice to get rid of him at all.

Tom James is doing alright at Orient. Top of League Two, 11 points clear.

RIP
01-03-2023, 11:30 PM
Paul wasn't appointed as our manager. He was only Head Coach reporting to Graeme Mathie, who was in charge of signings.
Is this any different to the role he has at the Blades? Or is it simply that he's closer to home and knows the league better?

Hibbyradge
01-03-2023, 11:44 PM
Paul wasn't appointed as our manager. He was only Head Coach reporting to Graeme Mathie, who was in charge of signings.
Is this any different to the role he has at the Blades? Or is it simply that he's closer to home and knows the league better?

He's at probably the richest club in the league and he's got them second, behind Burnley.

I could be manager and they'd be high up the league.

I'll be having a bet on him getting his jotters next season.

NAE NOOKIE
02-03-2023, 12:05 AM
His time at Hibs was so meh if it wasn't for the job he is doing at Sheffield Utd I honestly would be at the point of forgetting he had actually been our manager.
Horses for courses I suppose so fair play to him for getting a tune out of his current club, but as others are saying you can't help thinking he totally lacked any knowledge of the league he had taken a job in and also under estimated the standard of players he needed to be competitive in it.

An absolute footnote in the clubs history, and that's being kind in all honesty.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2023, 04:32 AM
We were taking the lead almost every week under him. Without our best player in Boyle. Hecky had us doing a lot right.

heretoday
02-03-2023, 05:06 AM
He's found his niche after several attempts. I liked the way he spoke. Real Yorkshire.

Since452
02-03-2023, 05:30 AM
I have absolutely no ill feelings towards Hecky at all. Win at Tynecastle was a good memory. Sometimes it just doesn't really work out. Good luck to him.

Forza Fred
02-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Wish him well

However thought he didn’t really get Scottish football compared to his knowledge and understanding of what is required in the Championship.

I also thought he made a huge mistake in releasing Mark Milligan, and after that he struggled.

Gloucester Hibs
02-03-2023, 05:41 AM
We were taking the lead almost every week under him. Without our best player in Boyle. Hecky had us doing a lot right.

Weren’t we second bottom when he left?

Edit: just checked, 4th bottom, not as bad as I remembered. Still a point off bottom though and I’m glad we acted when we did

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2023, 05:54 AM
Weren’t we second bottom when he left?

Edit: just checked, 4th bottom, not as bad as I remembered. Still a point off bottom though and I’m glad we acted when we did

It wasn't working overall, but I don't think it was miles away. Had we just held a few of those leads and built some confidence who knows.

It was right for him to go, our fanbase both online and at games was absolutely horrific at that time. So, so toxic.

Libby Hibby
02-03-2023, 05:58 AM
I still haven’t forgiven him for allowing Bartley and Mark Milligan to leave.

Perhaps never replacing them until now with Jeggo.

I live in hope Big Marv comes back to our club in some capacity at some point.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2023, 06:01 AM
I still haven’t forgiven him for allowing Bartley and Mark Milligan to leave.

Perhaps never replacing them until now with Jeggo.

I live in hope Big Marv comes back to our club in some capacity at some point.

You'd think they were actually key players the way some folk go on. Marv especially hardly played in 18 months. Milligan was okay.

Losing mcginn and McGeouch properly caught up with us. Not losing Marv and Milligan.

We finished 3rd with Gogic playing every week. Far more than Marv or Milligan achieved in the top flight for us.

Libby Hibby
02-03-2023, 06:09 AM
You'd think they were actually key players the way some folk go on. Marv especially hardly played in 18 months. Milligan was okay.

Losing mcginn and McGeouch properly caught up with us. Not losing Marv and Milligan.

We finished 3rd with Gogic playing every week. Far more than Marv or Milligan achieved in the top flight for us.

True. Bartley more for his character around the place, he just got us. MM was a strange decision at the time.

JimBHibees
02-03-2023, 06:15 AM
True. Bartley more for his character around the place, he just got us. MM was a strange decision at the time.

Milligan seemed a strange one as looked like he was getting better at Hibs. Even stranger was we didn't really replace him. In saying that the guy we were trying to replace with Ojo looked terrible for the sheep. The least said about Vela the better not sure there have been many worse performances than his in the league cup semi v Celtic. Thought Hecky seemed a decent guy didn't work out at Hibs probably much more settled living at home with his family. Not sure his assistant at Hibs was a great fit though may be completely unfair with that. Wish Hecky well.

BILLYHIBS
02-03-2023, 06:30 AM
I thought he seriously underestimated the standard of Scottish football and was in awe of the Uglies

His signings largely did not work

The Scottish Cup tie versus Celtic at home where we surrendered possession until they got into our box still haunts me up there with 1-3 versus them but that is a different story

Still waiting on the high press and hunting in packs

No regrets whatsoever seemed like a genuinely nice guy and I wish him every success for the future

BILLYHIBS
02-03-2023, 06:56 AM
I got the impression that MM really liked it here he was settled and really bought into the club

I only recall him only being caught out the once Celtic 2-4 away

Probably shocked to be let go but maybe more to do with his reported wage at the time

Since452
02-03-2023, 06:56 AM

Exactly this. Bartley especially has become far better in the eye's of many since he left. He couldn't really get a game for a reason. Not suited to a team on the front foot trying to dictate play. Decent against the old firm and Hearts where we had to defend for long periods. FWIW I thought Milligan was a much better footballer than Bartley.

Smartie
02-03-2023, 07:13 AM
His issue was certainly in relation to the midfield, probably a combination of all of the above points. If Vela (another one who has had a decent career down South) had hit the ground running, it might have been very different for him.

I also thought his stubborn refusal to play anything other than a 451 when he clearly didn’t have the players to do it justice scuppered him.

It was a shame because I thought he’d done well the previous season and the players clearly believed in him.

I have no hard feelings towards him even if I can’t forget how bad the football was under him and that he probably deserved to be sacked.

G15 Hibs
02-03-2023, 08:21 AM
The way things were going, would it have worked out for him at Hibs? Probably not. Were Hibs right to get rid of him when they did? Probably. Does that mean he's a terrible manager? Clearly not.

Sometimes things don't work out at clubs. Hibs and Heckingbottom weren't a match at that time, for whatever reason. The right mix is there at Sheffield Utd. Claiming he's only doing well because they've got money is utter nonsense, given the clubs that have had riches in that league and been useless.

Good on him, he always came across as a decent man.

Baader
02-03-2023, 08:34 AM
Probably improved his managerial skills since being with us. His stats with us were similar to his win percentage at Barnsley. With Sheffield Utd its comparatively different so seems a good fit for them.

As mentioned above, his refusal to play any other system other than 451 showed a real lack of understanding. One up front at home to St Johnstone, not going to get anyone excited. Signings seemed to suggest if you can play in League One, Scottish top flight is a breeze. Just doesn't work like that. Wasn't working and club were right to get rid.

Stubbsy90+2
02-03-2023, 08:36 AM
We were right to get rid of him when we did but I always felt a bit sorry for him. In his second season we seemed to take the lead most weeks and then throw it away late on and we also had Doidge missing a sitter almost every week. Just never worked out.

Tyler Durden
02-03-2023, 08:53 AM
He's a good coach - all the Hibs players were clear about that. His issue was recruitment and clearly he had a big hand in the players signed that summer. Majority were poor and he also didn't really back the likes of Doidge. He hardly played him as he stuck rigidly to 1 striker.

It wasn't an issue for me that he let the likes of Milligan go.... it was the failure to replace him adequately. Also every player signed was really slow, he didn't seem to recognise the need for pace. Less said about Tom James the better.

At Sheff Utd he has a great squad for that level and he's delivering what's expected. Good luck to him.

Hibbyradge
02-03-2023, 09:37 AM
The way things were going, would it have worked out for him at Hibs? Probably not. Were Hibs right to get rid of him when they did? Probably. Does that mean he's a terrible manager? Clearly not.

Sometimes things don't work out at clubs. Hibs and Heckingbottom weren't a match at that time, for whatever reason. The right mix is there at Sheffield Utd. Claiming he's only doing well because they've got money is utter nonsense, given the clubs that have had riches in that league and been useless.

Good on him, he always came across as a decent man.

I may have a bit of the Jeffers/Johnson syndrome but I didn't like Heckingbottom and I didn't rate him as a manager.

I thought he was patronising and thought way too much of his own knowledge and ability.

Am I being unreasonable? It's a possibility but I just can't like the man.

DH1875
02-03-2023, 09:38 AM
Never mind Heckingbottom. The real mind blowing WTF regarding previous players and managers is that Matt Doherty is paying for Atletico Madrid.

Tyler Durden
02-03-2023, 09:48 AM
Never mind Heckingbottom. The real mind blowing WTF regarding previous players and managers is that Matt Doherty is paying for Atletico Madrid.

I don't really get this train of thought........ Doherty has been at Spurs for a few years. It's not a jump to go from there to La Liga and Atletico?

Spurs can be a bit of a joke granted but in the last 5/6 years they are easily on a par with Atletico Madrid.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2023, 09:54 AM
I don't really get this train of thought........ Doherty has been at Spurs for a few years. It's not a jump to go from there to La Liga and Atletico?

Spurs can be a bit of a joke granted but in the last 5/6 years they are easily on a par with Atletico Madrid.

Atletico have won the league and Europa league in the last few years. Spurs are not at that level.

You're general point is correct, though. Doherty is a decent player.

DH1875
02-03-2023, 10:25 AM
Atletico have won the league and Europa league in the last few years. Spurs are not at that level.

And Heckingbottom is an ok manager. I thought we were looking back to their time at Hibs to where they are now and what they are achieving.

Scottie
02-03-2023, 10:46 AM
Good luck to Hecky he had nothing but good words to say about us. Just unfortunate that his time here didn’t work out for him and us. Comes across as a decent chap. Mind you different budgets and players can make a job easier than it may have been but he’s got Sheffield Utd playing the right way with what he’s got.

If they make the FA cup semis I’ll try and go and give him the Hibs ‘Hecky’s at the wheel’ :greengrin

SaulGoodman
02-03-2023, 10:50 AM
Out of interest, what were Doherty’s comments about Hibs?

Tyler Durden
02-03-2023, 11:22 AM

I actually forgot about that 2021 La Liga win

theonlywayisup
02-03-2023, 11:35 AM
Nothing against Hecky. He seems a decent bloke and a decent manager. But just didn't work out for him at Hibs.

I'm no expert, but I do think a lot of the managers we've recruited over think things when they come into the Hibs job. Understanding Scottish Football isn't rocket science. Any team that has a solid goalkeeper, a robust and resolute defence, a mix of bite and creativity in midfield, with pacy forwards is going to do well in our league. The ability to move the ball forward to create spaces and opportunities to score is all that's needed, whilst not giving away easy goals. That and having a good mix between youthful and experienced players.

In all my years watching Hibs, it was Mowbray who IMO got the basics right, albeit we did have some bad results. I'm discounting McLeish as he recruited the quality of players we can only dream about now.

Hibees1973
02-03-2023, 12:30 PM
Got to give Heckingbottom credit for the job he is doing at Sheffield Utd.

From what I saw last night they are a seriously tough team to play against. Robust, strong and have a real edge to them. From his time at Hibs, from what I remember, we were nowhere near this mould. We lost numerous goals late in games and not for the first time were soft at the core. Maybe given more time he could have turned it around for us, but we were only a point or two off bottom spot when Dempster sacked him.

As BlllyHibs said earlier one game sticks in my mind in Heckingbottoms' tenure at Hibs. A SC QF against Celtic at home. It was a Saturday early evening fixture and we never laid a glove on them. Think it was 0-0 up to around 60 mins and prior to this we didn't even have a shot on goal. Understand it was Celtic but I remember that game we were toothless and it was just waiting on Celtic scoring.

Hibs and him just did not fit, sadly.

Some on here not giving him much credit for the job he has done so far at Sheffield Utd. There are other clubs in the Championship who have spent way more than Sheffield Utd. He is also working under restrictions due to an uncertainty of the ownership of the club.

Anyway, good luck to him. Hope he gets Sheffield Utd promoted and into the FA Cup semi finals.

KeithTheHibby
02-03-2023, 12:36 PM
I think he underestimated Scottish football, pure and simple.

Trinity Hibee
02-03-2023, 12:39 PM
Nothing against Hecky. He seems a decent bloke and a decent manager. But just didn't work out for him at Hibs.

I'm no expert, but I do think a lot of the managers we've recruited over think things when they come into the Hibs job. Understanding Scottish Football isn't rocket science. Any team that has a solid goalkeeper, a robust and resolute defence, a mix of bite and creativity in midfield, with pacy forwards is going to do well in our league. The ability to move the ball forward to create spaces and opportunities to score is all that's needed, whilst not giving away easy goals. That and having a good mix between youthful and experienced players.

In all my years watching Hibs, it was Mowbray who IMO got the basics right, albeit we did have some bad results. I'm discounting McLeish as he recruited the quality of players we can only dream about now.

Completely agree with all of this.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2023, 03:48 PM
And Heckingbottom is an ok manager. I thought we were looking back to their time at Hibs to where they are now and what they are achieving.

Doherty was a good player for Hibs too. Could tell he had a lot of talent, just a young lad coming into a shambles and his attitude wasn't great.

He was important in us staying up.

Stubbsy90+2
02-03-2023, 03:57 PM
Doherty was a good player for Hibs too. Could tell he had a lot of talent, just a young lad coming into a shambles and his attitude wasn't great.

:agree:

Docherty was very decent. His comments after the final have clouded peoples judgments. I’d have been delighted had we kept him.

02-03-2023, 03:58 PM

That's just hearsay.

stantonhibby
02-03-2023, 04:10 PM
That's just hearsay.

😀

Libby Hibby
02-03-2023, 04:13 PM
That's just hearsay.

Pure and simple, I’ll be there for you.

Jones28
02-03-2023, 06:46 PM

Maroons my favourite colour, anyway off I go to my Rover now.

BigKev
02-03-2023, 07:40 PM
He's at probably the richest club in the league and he's got them second, behind Burnley.

I could be manager and they'd be high up the league.

I'll be having a bet on him getting his jotters next season.

The richest club in the league that’s under a transfer embargo and can’t pay instalments on transfers?

Hibbyradge
02-03-2023, 07:46 PM
The richest club in the league that’s under a transfer embargo and can’t pay instalments on transfers?

Yes, them. :greengrin

RIP
02-03-2023, 09:47 PM
Still a few posters with false memory syndrome about Paul. He was never offered a manager's role nor given much input into signings or releases.
Vela was a player identified by Lennon and signed by Mathie who was in charge of recruitment don't forget.
The squad was a bit of a shambles at that time and PH was unable to get any better a tune out of them than Neil had.
Ross had knowledge of the SPL and did a lot better.

B.H.F.C
02-03-2023, 09:56 PM
Still a few posters with false memory syndrome about Paul. He was never offered a manager's role nor given much input into signings or releases.
Vela was a player identified by Lennon and signed by Mathie who was in charge of recruitment don't forget.
The squad was a bit of a shambles at that time and PH was unable to get any better a tune out of them than Neil had.

He did get a better tune out of the squad he inherited and improved our league position. When the squad drastically changed in the summer, that’s when it went all tits up. He might not have been totally in control of signings (no Manager or Head Coach or whatever they happen to be called is these days) but it wasn’t a coincidence that a lot of them came from the same place he had.

AgentDaleCooper
02-03-2023, 10:00 PM

Imo Stubbs got the recuitment down very well too.

ZitellZeTime
02-03-2023, 10:44 PM

Can't remember his exact words. Just remember him one of the loan players who actually looked decent but seemed like he didn't really want to be here some weeks.

After that terrible cup final can remember the videos of him laughing and joking right after it, can't remember what was said though.

I didn't include him in my list as we've had loans like him and that Vaz Te or whatever he was called in the past who were clearly talented but in Vaz Te case he seemed like he never got out of first gear much. I know he wasn't under hecky and youth might have played a bit of difference in Doherty acting like a prick after that cup game. None were under hecky though but good example of some loan players who were talented but didn't seem to want to be here.

I remember thinking Claros was a pish player at that point then the next season he was like a different player and I was gutted he was gone.

But aye we've paid fees for quite a few under hecky, before and after him too who have done well in lower leagues and played championship level etc as permanent players. Do ***** then go back home.

I just feel Hecky assumed any player good in league one or bit part player in the championship would automatically stroll it for us. Maybe im wrong.

I don't dislike the boy, wish him well as he's doing outstanding where he is just now but im glad we let go of him when we did.

ZitellZeTime
02-03-2023, 10:53 PM

Yeah Vela was definitely linked before Lennon left the building but Tom James was deffo one of his signings, he said so himself. Was in the papers talking about how he had spotted him at previous club and we're lucky his talks with WBA broke down as we were in for a treat and going on about how brilliant he was.

With him bigging him up so much then checking and seeing WBA did agree a fee for £400k the window before I think it was but personal details broke down. With that combined I was excited af to see him lol. Says we paid undisclosed fee but must have been atleast 250k or something. Can't see them dropping from 400k to almost nothing so quickly.

But aye your right we got a new manager bounce with Hecky to begin with but then it went tits up and just kept getting worse and he didn't instill any confidence in the way he was talking about how we were playing or any changes.

Probably a good manager but sometimes some jobs just don't suit certain people or the timing etc. Jack Ross came in and did a brilliant job for a while. Wasn't always great to watch but he managed to grind out draws and wins from games we would have lost before so I think that was a no bad move.

BILLYHIBS
02-03-2023, 11:05 PM
Hecky’s record slightly better than LJ’s

Lee Johnson P 31 W 13 D 4 L 14

Hecky P32 W 13 D 10 L 9

JamesHFC
03-03-2023, 12:23 AM
Happy for Hecky, I don’t think he was given enough time with us. Highly regarded by those who have worked with him.

JimBHibees
03-03-2023, 07:05 AM

Yes he was. Team were obviously a shambles were we not arguing about bonuses the day before that final. Unforgivable really. Don't blame Doherty one bit for not wanting to come back

MikeyS
03-03-2023, 07:25 AM

I can't remember what he said, do have the memory of him joking after the final but his actions were no where near as embarrassing as Garry O'Connor, Stack and afew others who were up the toon singing and dancing hours after the game.

Stonewall
03-03-2023, 08:37 AM

I think he overestimated it.

I think it was Lewis who said that we were playing Hamilton on the Saturday and spent the whole week working on defensive shape out of possession only to watch the ball flying around above our heads all afternoon so the whole week's training had been irrelevant.

Northernhibee
03-03-2023, 08:40 AM
I had a decent chat with him when he was our manager and he was an absolute gent, full of good words about out club and outstandingly knowledgable about football.

I’m not surprised he’s gone on to be a success somewhere else. Maybe wrong club at the wrong time with us, but he’s a good man.

patlowe
03-03-2023, 12:15 PM
Heard a podcast interview with him from a year or so back, and reflecting on Hibs it sounded like he was almost a bit spooked by how intense and frenetic things are up here, on and off the pitch. Restless fans, feeding frenzy in the press, bad challenges constantly unpunished etc. The players all clearly thought he was a great coach but I just don't think his more considered style quite 'clicked' with the beautiful madness of Scottish football :greengrin

Since452
03-03-2023, 12:24 PM
I can't remember what he said, do have the memory of him joking after the final but his actions were no where near as embarrassing as Garry O'Connor, Stack and afew others who were up the toon singing and dancing hours after the game.

Infuriating. I barely felt like leaving the house for a week after the game and i'm sure other fans were the same. Yet these dafties were out living it up? GO'c especially should have known what it meant. Glad our 2016 team were all very likable as they deserve to be legends. Not that lot.

Northernhibee
03-03-2023, 01:37 PM
Yeah Vela was definitely linked before Lennon left the building but Tom James was deffo one of his signings, he said so himself. Was in the papers talking about how he had spotted him at previous club and we're lucky his talks with WBA broke down as we were in for a treat and going on about how brilliant he was.

With him bigging him up so much then checking and seeing WBA did agree a fee for £400k the window before I think it was but personal details broke down. With that combined I was excited af to see him lol. Says we paid undisclosed fee but must have been atleast 250k or something. Can't see them dropping from 400k to almost nothing so quickly.

But aye your right we got a new manager bounce with Hecky to begin with but then it went tits up and just kept getting worse and he didn't instill any confidence in the way he was talking about how we were playing or any changes.

Probably a good manager but sometimes some jobs just don't suit certain people or the timing etc. Jack Ross came in and did a brilliant job for a while. Wasn't always great to watch but he managed to grind out draws and wins from games we would have lost before so I think that was a no bad move.
Tom James wasn’t nearly as bad as he was made out to be. A little slow for the league and had a bad game against one of the arsecheeks but otherwise was reasonably solid defensively.

AgentDaleCooper
03-03-2023, 01:49 PM
Infuriating. I barely felt like leaving the house for a week after the game and i'm sure other fans were the same. Yet these dafties were out living it up? GO'c especially should have known what it meant. Glad our 2016 team were all very likable as they deserve to be legends. Not that lot.

errr...stokes...? legend, but also clearly a bell end.

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2023, 02:30 PM
Tom James wasn’t nearly as bad as he was made out to be. A little slow for the league and had a bad game against one of the arsecheeks but otherwise was reasonably solid defensively.

Had an absolute stinker St Mirren at home went walkabout Saints just lifted the ball over his head to their man time and time again and he did not have the pace to recover

Hooked at halftime for young Mackie he was that bad

lyonhibs
03-03-2023, 02:37 PM
No ill feeling towards him like I do Butcher or Calderwood but we were mostly unrelentingly crap under him

MWHIBBIES
03-03-2023, 04:38 PM
Had an absolute stinker St Mirren at home went walkabout Saints just lifted the ball over his head to their man time and time again and he did not have the pace to recover

Hooked at halftime for young Mackie he was that bad

Was injured

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2023, 04:48 PM
Was injured

Was very poor

Should never have started in that case

No record of any injury as far as I am aware

Slower than slow

Did not play for about six weeks after but looked ok up until half time nothing that a rocket wouldn’t solve 😀

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2023, 05:01 PM
Check out #17 the master of running beside players without putting in a challenge injured my ….

https://youtu.be/kl0QaSLBbzI

Conj
03-03-2023, 05:04 PM
Was very poor

Slower than slow

Did not play for about six weeks after but looked ok up until half time nothing that a rocket wouldn’t solve 😀

Definitely took a knock in the St Mirren game, from a challenge about 10 minutes before half time.

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2023, 05:09 PM
Definitely took a knock in the St Mirren game, from a challenge about 10 minutes before half time.

OK he was very poor for 35 minutes then

Found it sustained ankle ligament damage

Sticks in my mind because I couldn’t believe what I was seeing from our right back

SquashedFrogg
03-03-2023, 06:03 PM
Was very poor

Slower than slow

Picked up a nasty injury in that game. Ankle Ligaments.

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2023, 06:13 PM
Picked up a nasty injury in that game. Ankle Ligaments.

Yip said that happened on the stroke of half time according to Edinburgh Live

Taken off injured 43 mins

Smartie
03-03-2023, 06:40 PM
Check out #17 the master of running beside players without putting in a challenge injured my ….

That was his problem.

He liked to run alongside players without putting in a challenge. They seem to accept that more down South, you have a section of our support having heart attacks when you do it up here.

He had a great view of James Scott tearing him to shreds at Fir Park one time and he was finished in the eyes of many after that game.

I always thought there was something in there but he was never a full back. Not sure what he was though.

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2023, 06:45 PM
That was his problem.

He liked to run alongside players without putting in a challenge. They seem to accept that more down South, you have a section of our support having heart attacks when you do it up here.

He had a great view of James Scott tearing him to shreds at Fir Park one time and he was finished in the eyes of many after that game.

I always thought there was something in there but he was never a full back. Not sure what he was though.

Starting to feel bad about having a go at the guy but he was dreadful

Only calling it as I saw it

He got injured and had to come off

Scored a cracker against Alloa IIRC

Johnny_Leith
03-03-2023, 06:56 PM

That kamberi offside goal is absolutely laughable. Forgot how bad it was.

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2023, 07:03 PM
That kamberi offside goal is absolutely laughable. Forgot how bad it was.

Up there with his disallowed goal in Elgin 😀