PDA

View Full Version : McGeady

HFCbingo
01-03-2023, 08:29 PM
Any news on the extent of his injury?

Also, do you think we will see him at us beyond this season?

Despite his age he looked really fit to me and with regular games I see him contributing to the team a lot.

Hibbyradge
01-03-2023, 08:41 PM
I'm not convinced we'll see him again this season never mind next. That would be a shame as he still has a lot of offer.

PHeffernan
01-03-2023, 08:49 PM
Any news on the extent of his injury?

Also, do you think we will see him at us beyond this season?

Despite his age he looked really fit to me and with regular games I see him contributing to the team a lot.

Almost certainly a grade 2 and possibly a grade 3 hamstring tear so 2-3 months out.
As such I don't expect him to play again this season.
He will be 37 in a month. Father time says time up.
Would be madness to give him another contract.
I'm gutted as he was a great watch.

HFCbingo
01-03-2023, 08:53 PM
I think another team in the league will give him a contract if we don't.

I think he's been unlucky with the two injuries and he can have a great season next year.

ErinGoBraghHFC
01-03-2023, 08:58 PM
Just offer him a two year deal, even if he’s only fit for half those two seasons he’d still have plenty to offer imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KWJ
01-03-2023, 08:58 PM
Unless his contract is heavily weighted towards appearances, which I doubt he'd accept, then I'd spend the cash elsewhere.

The Modfather
01-03-2023, 09:27 PM
He’s been poor value for money, without being a bad player. Only 14 games, no goals and two assists. A, presumably, big wage we could put to a lot better use next season IMO. Hope we don’t give him a deal beyond this season.

hibsbollah
01-03-2023, 09:34 PM
I think he’ll be back this season. Maybe at the split.

B.H.F.C
01-03-2023, 09:37 PM
He’s been poor value for money, without being a bad player. Only 14 games, no goals and two assists. A, presumably, big wage we could put to a lot better use next season IMO. Hope we don’t give him a deal beyond this season.

I think he’s a superb player. Had he stayed fit for the rest of the season I think we’d have seen a fair improvement in his numbers. He’s a big reason for our upturn in form for me, he’s just so comfortable on the ball that it helps calm the rest of them down.

All that said, it’s difficult to argue that we’ve had anywhere near value from him. And with his injury problems last year and this along with his age, it would be a big risk keeping him.

California-Hibs
01-03-2023, 09:55 PM
He's a massive part of our upturn in fortunes. He's so comfortable with the ball, still glides past players even at his age, he gets us up the pitch at speed and with control.
Folk shouldn't underestimate just how big ablow his injury is to us.

I think he's been unlucky and would give him another year for sure. Be great if we get him back for the split!

ZitellZeTime
01-03-2023, 11:19 PM
Just offer him a two year deal, even if he’s only fit for half those two seasons he’d still have plenty to offer imo

He is good when fit, but he had an injury the year before signing us, then that injury at the beginning. He does create chances from nothing but this is another quite bad injury then he's going to be even older next season.

Even though he's slowed down he still has his technical ability but he also has enough in his legs for that little burst past a player after he takes them on, every injury especially at this age is going to take that away.

The idea of that sounds ok but he's going to be 37 soon so he'd be signing a contract on what im guessing is a decent wage until the age of about 39 and we don't even know how he's going to look after this injury then the summer, if we were only going to get him fit for half that. that means another 2 or 3 pretty bad injuries as he keeps aging. I fear that little burst of pace that helps him for upto 10 yards after he beats his man would be gone by then and wouldn't be the same player.

I had the same worries when he got injured at the beginning of the season though and he has been class when he plays, was like a new signing when he came back but by the end of the season he'll have played 9 games for us, turned 37 in April and has just had another bad injury. I don't know his exact wage but I doubt he came to us for peanuts.

As good as he has played and helped changed games that's another bad investment, albeit due to bad luck rather than talent with him but can't gamble on the same not happening again, every injury catches up with you and so does father time.

Maybe a pay as you play deal if they still do those, but even if they do I don't think he'd accept that.

It's a shame as he has looked class but dont want to pay a wage for 18 games over the next 2 seasons unless it was a pay as you play or if he would take a reduction in wage and maybe have him as a player/coach or something.

Think we need to be targetting replacing him for someone who hopefully won't be injured along with the many other positions we need.

Hopefully what Kensall was saying about this new director of football and LJ liking the idea of it and recruiting better and having learnt from mistakes is correct and we bring in a few players of quality and get rid of some more deadwood like was mentioned too.

ErinGoBraghHFC
01-03-2023, 11:22 PM
He is good when fit, but he had an injury the year before signing us, then that injury at the beginning. He does create chances from nothing but this is another quite bad injury then he's going to be even older next season.

Even though he's slowed down he still has his technical ability but he also has enough in his legs for that little burst past a player after he takes them on, every injury especially at this age is going to take that away.

The idea of that sounds ok but he's going to be 37 soon so he'd be signing a contract on what im guessing is a decent wage until the age of about 39 and we don't even know how he's going to look after this injury then the summer, if we were only going to get him fit for half that. that means another 2 or 3 pretty bad injuries as he keeps aging. I fear that little burst of pace that helps him for upto 10 yards after he beats his man would be gone by then and wouldn't be the same player.

I had the same worries when he got injured at the beginning of the season though and he has been class when he plays, was like a new signing when he came back but by the end of the season he'll have played 9 games for us, turned 37 in April and has just had another bad injury. I don't know his exact wage but I doubt he came to us for peanuts.

As good as he has played and helped changed games that's another bad investment, albeit due to bad luck rather than talent with him but can't gamble on the same not happening again, every injury catches up with you and so does father time.

Maybe a pay as you play deal if they still do those, but even if they do I don't think he'd accept that.

It's a shame as he has looked class but dont want to pay a wage for 18 games over the next 2 seasons unless it was a pay as you play or if he would take a reduction in wage and maybe have him as a player/coach or something.

Think we need to be targetting replacing him for someone who hopefully won't be injured along with the many other positions we need.

Hopefully what Kensall was saying about this new director of football and LJ liking the idea of it and recruiting better and having learnt from mistakes is correct and we bring in a few players of quality and get rid of some more deadwood like was mentioned too.

Not sure if he’s interested in moving into coaching but if he is, I’d get him signed as player/coach ASAP he’s been there and done it at the highest level, wouldn’t do any harm passing that onto the younger players for a few years. Added bonus if we get to see him play whenever fit for a wee bit longer. ****in love the guy tbh

NAE NOOKIE
02-03-2023, 12:16 AM
You have to respect the career the guy has had, but IMO he's done. Youan has been playing well on the left and by the time next season rolls around we would have to hope that Boyle is back on the right. Even if Youan doesn't stay I would be far from happy to see a guy become an integral part of the team who I can't help thinking would be a sprint away from another injury every time he plays.

I simply don't want to see another season like this one that has been blighted by injury after injury to so many players and I'm even getting to the stage of thinking we would be better trying to offload Magennis as well, how the hell can you build a team around a guy who cant manage 5 games without being out injured for the next 10?

Don't get me wrong, I rate both players, but they might as well be me if they aren't on the pitch.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-03-2023, 04:08 AM
Fair and Mackay likely to return?

JimBHibees
02-03-2023, 06:04 AM
He's a massive part of our upturn in fortunes. He's so comfortable with the ball, still glides past players even at his age, he gets us up the pitch at speed and with control.

I think he's been unlucky and would give him another year for sure. Be great if we get him back for the split!

That's where I am we have looked a different team going forward with Aiden imo a key part of that. Would offer him another contract for sure hope he gets back. Has been frustrating how long he has been out though

superfurryhibby
02-03-2023, 07:53 AM
You have to respect the career the guy has had, but IMO he's done. Youan has been playing well on the left and by the time next season rolls around we would have to hope that Boyle is back on the right. Even if Youan doesn't stay I would be far from happy to see a guy become an integral part of the team who I can't help thinking would be a sprint away from another injury every time he plays.

I simply don't want to see another season like this one that has been blighted by injury after injury to so many players and I'm even getting to the stage of thinking we would be better trying to offload Magennis as well, how the hell can you build a team around a guy who cant manage 5 games without being out injured for the next 10?

Don't get me wrong, I rate both players, but they might as well be me if they aren't on the pitch.

I would agree with this. McGeady looked good for a few weeks, but he's out again. he's barely kicked a ball over the past two seasons, why would it change if we offered him another year...that would be madness

BILLYHIBS
02-03-2023, 07:58 AM
Didn’t think we would see him again when he limped off tbh

Would love it if he came back to help us out fully fit in the top six

🙏

Pretty Boy
02-03-2023, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him announce his retirement in the summer. He's already said he contemplated it after his recent injury. 2-3 months out with a hamstring tear and not playing a lot of football. At 37 the thought of another pre season might just be too much.

I wouldn't really blame him. When he's been available he's still offered plenty and the injuries have been unfortunate more than anything else, particularly the one sustained against Norwich.

J-C
02-03-2023, 08:07 AM
I don't think anyone is saying he's a bad player, he's shown when fit how good he is, just age and injuries have caught up with him, we need more consistency and unfortunately we can't rely on him.

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-03-2023, 08:21 AM
Frankly he's a waste of time and don't think we can rely on him anymore. Sad but true.

Spike Mandela
02-03-2023, 11:15 AM
When you sign someone like Aiden you take a risk. If we were lucky we would have got two years in the swansong of a fine player. If we were unlucky we would have an injury riddled veteran who spends most of the time in the treatment room

We were unlucky, but that’s the gamble.

HFC93
02-03-2023, 11:44 AM
I think he’s been good when he has played but not convinced he is value for money. His age seems to be catching up with him.

GreenGray
02-03-2023, 12:28 PM
You surely offer him a contract based on the amount of appearances he makes. He is clearly brilliant who has been a massive part of our recent form.

He is loaded by all accounts so is playing for the fun of it at this point, a play to pay contract could suit both parties.

Donegal Hibby
02-03-2023, 12:41 PM
Quality player who like so many others in our team have been unfortunate with injuries this season . I'm quite prepared to wait and see how he recovers from this injury. Replacing a player of his quality is never easy or cheap and I wouldn't rule him coming back stronger for next season either.

NAE NOOKIE
02-03-2023, 01:52 PM
Quality player who like so many others in our team have been unfortunate with injuries this season . I'm quite prepared to wait and see how he recovers from this injury. Replacing a player of his quality is never easy or cheap and I wouldn't rule him coming back stronger for next season either.

I get that, but there are two kinds of injured players. You have guys like Boyle who needed an operation, probably well before he had it, and guys like Rocky who just pick up a bad one that keeps them out for a number of weeks.

But then you have guys like Mitchell and Magennis who cant string more than a few games together before once again they miss 5 or 10 games through injury.

McGeady had a really bad injury at Sunderland, followed by another bad one at Hibs that kept him out for months, he then breaks down after a decent run, you can't help but think that kind of wear and tear will just catch up with him and despite his best efforts he will be an injury prone player going forward.

It might be harsh, but we are not Celtic or Man United who can afford to carry players who are proven to be injury prone ... and no I'm not suggesting we bin players at the drop of a hat ... but neither can we afford to persist forever with players like the aforementioned Mitchell who simply aren't giving value for what little money we have.

1875Sean
02-03-2023, 04:40 PM
If he can get 10-15 next season then he’s worth another year

Bishop Hibee
02-03-2023, 05:16 PM
He’s been decent for us when fit but I’d rather see Boyle and Youan on the wings next season.

wookie70
02-03-2023, 06:12 PM
I'd rather spend teh cash on Youan. He still looks like he is up to the task but plays so little it is irrelevant. Youan is far mor effective as is Boyle.

Gmack7
02-03-2023, 06:30 PM
He’s been decent for us when fit but I’d rather see Boyle and Youan on the wings next season.

Can't argue with that. He would be good back up though if we needed something different or if either of them were injured

Hibiza
02-03-2023, 06:31 PM
Spot on 👍

Onceinawhile
02-03-2023, 08:27 PM
Don't think we'll see him in a hibs strip again tbh.

A decent player for us, but would rather have Boyle and youann

He's here!
02-03-2023, 09:44 PM

Agreed. He was integral to turning things around when we were fast heading towards a relegation battle.

ZitellZeTime
02-03-2023, 11:00 PM

Aw is he possibly back for the split? I didn't know that. I read that he's likely out for the season. If thats the case then be stupid not to atleast offer him another year if he's still the same.

I read atleast a couple of months, then have to get back to match fitness etc but Nisbet was back and fit before I expected so maybe where I read that is just a lot of *****.

If that is the case would offer him a year like you suggested, if thats true and he looked the same if he does return for the split but still think it would far be too big a gamble offering him a 2 year deal.

JamesHFC
03-03-2023, 12:29 AM
I rate McGeady highly but that’s two serious injuries this season. I wouldn’t be surprised if he just calls it a day in the summer.

Would love to see Youan, Nisbet & Boyle next season as our front three. Mykola back too hopefully.

heretoday
03-03-2023, 04:56 AM
He's finished. Like Antti Niemi.

JimBHibees
03-03-2023, 06:27 AM
Aw is he possibly back for the split? I didn't know that. I read that he's likely out for the season. If thats the case then be stupid not to atleast offer him another year if he's still the same.

I read atleast a couple of months, then have to get back to match fitness etc but Nisbet was back and fit before I expected so maybe where I read that is just a lot of *****.

If that is the case would offer him a year like you suggested, if thats true and he looked the same if he does return for the split but still think it would far be too big a gamble offering him a 2 year deal.

Don't think we have been told how bad his injury is however LJ seemed to be suggesting could be bad. I think it was suggested that he had never had a hamstring before which could I think mean he may come back earlier as hammys tend to reoccur.

Northernhibee
03-03-2023, 09:06 AM
Excellent player, not a good signing. It’s truly a shame for him and for us, but wouldn’t be renewing his contract.

Since452
03-03-2023, 09:17 AM
McGeady is quality but we would never have been able to sign him if it wasn't for his injury record and age in the first place. We took a wee chance, it's not really worked out as much as we would have hoped but he has been one of the reasons for our recent upturn in form. I've found him a joy to watch lately. Terrific player.

MrRobot
03-03-2023, 12:48 PM
Out for 4-6 months.

As good as he has been, I think we need to either look at not renewing his contract or only on a pay as you play deal.

Trinity Hibee
03-03-2023, 12:49 PM
Excellent player, not a good signing. It’s truly a shame for him and for us, but wouldn’t be renewing his contract.

Yep. A real game changer but we haven’t had the opportunity to see that. Hasn’t worked out well at all.

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2023, 12:50 PM
Let him go in the summer if that’s when his deal ends. Sounds like he probably wouldn’t even be available for pre season so he’s no longer worth keeping on imo.

GreenGray
03-03-2023, 12:50 PM
He's finished. Like Antti Niemi.

People said that after his last injury, I wonder when they’ll learn

Ozyhibby
03-03-2023, 12:51 PM

They were right?

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2023, 12:52 PM

It’s kind of been proven right though. He’s managed 14 appearances over a full season due to injury which was the concern with him.

Trinity Hibee
03-03-2023, 12:53 PM

Bit of an odd comment given his injury record this season.

Ozyhibby
03-03-2023, 12:54 PM
If he can get 10-15 next season then he’s worth another year

Who’s to say he can but also, when did Hibs become a rich club that can hire layers for 10-15 games a season. And we already have Magennis for that although he doesn’t manage that many.

Dunbar Hibee
03-03-2023, 12:54 PM
Gutted with that, such a good player. Shame.

JamesHFC
03-03-2023, 12:56 PM
Could tell at the time it was a bad one. Potentially 6 months out will probably rule out any deal next season. Had a great career, all the best to him.

Diclonius
03-03-2023, 12:57 PM
That'll be him then. Thanks for a few great games.

JamesHFC
03-03-2023, 12:58 PM
Injuries have torn us apart this season. If we manage to get top 4 with the amount of injuries we have had to key players including the loss of Porteous, that is some achievement all things considered.

B.H.F.C
03-03-2023, 01:19 PM
Wouldn’t be surprised to see McGeady retire now.

Shame as the ability and sharpness was still there when fit. We can’t take the risk again next season though, IMO.

Spike Mandela
03-03-2023, 01:46 PM
Wouldn’t be surprised to see McGeady retire now.

Shame as the ability and sharpness was still there when fit. We can’t take the risk again next season though, IMO.

Especially on the back of a £1.5m loss.

jakedance
03-03-2023, 01:51 PM
It's a real shame because it's no coincidence that we started picking up points again when he came back in to the team. For all the deserved criticism of the club there has been this season we would have been a different team with McGeady, Boyle and Nisbett playing every week. In hindsight this deal wasn't worth the risk but you can see why the club took the gamble. He's quality.

PHeffernan
03-03-2023, 01:56 PM
Who’s to say he can but also, when did Hibs become a rich club that can hire layers for 10-15 games a season. And we already have Magennis for that although he doesn’t manage that many.

Magennis is only 24, he played 23 games in his 1st season at Hibs, 13 in his 2nd and 13 so far this season and has had no further bad injuries this season.
McGeady is 37 in a months time and will play 14 games for Hibs this season. He has now had 3 back to back bad injuries.

Magennis has a chance to move forward now, McGeady is done.

Donegal Hibby
03-03-2023, 02:36 PM
Knew it was a bad injury at the time and didn't expect to see him back this season . Made a real difference to the team since he's been back and is without doubt one of our best players when playing . Been said he hasn't many goals or assists , I think this has been because he's regularly had two or three men going to close him down because of his quality which in turn creates space for our other players .

Will we see Mcgeady in a Hibs shirt again ? Honestly I don't know . He might retire , Hibs get him back fit and he moves on to another club though I won't be ruling out us getting him fit and getting another season out of him either. Personally I still think he got the quality , pace and sharpness for another season. He's definitely not motivated by money (even though he was called a wage thief) . I will wait and see what Hibs , Mcgeady decide and how his recovery goes before righting the guy off just yet .

I'm Spartacus
03-03-2023, 03:41 PM
That'll be that then.

We move on and hopefully learn.

Hibees1973
03-03-2023, 03:58 PM
Facts about McGeady.

1. Age 36
2. Injury prone before he joined us.
3. Injured after a couple of games at the start of the season.
4. Played a handful of games before getting injured again
5. Performed well when available, albeit rarely

Based on this and given the financial loss we have made over the last season, we cannot afford to hand out contracts to players who we know have a poor injury record. We have had our fingers burned with McGeady and Magennis. I have sympathy with the two of them and they must be gutted, but it must be doubly difficult for Johnson and team continuity if these guys are not robust enough.

I understand players can get unexpectedly injured, but Johnson has said he wants to have a smaller squad so we should not offer contract extensions to McGeady & Magennis.

Since452
03-03-2023, 04:11 PM
Facts about McGeady.

1. Age 36
2. Injury prone before he joined us.
3. Injured after a couple of games at the start of the season.
4. Played a handful of games before getting injured again
5. Performed well when available, albeit rarely

Based on this and given the financial loss we have made over the last season, we cannot afford to hand out contracts to players who we know have a poor injury record. We have had our fingers burned with McGeady and Magennis. I have sympathy with the two of them and they must be gutted, but it must be doubly difficult for Johnson and team continuity if these guys are not robust enough.

I understand players can get unexpectedly injured, but Johnson has said he wants to have a smaller squad so we should not offer contract extensions to McGeady & Magennis.

Is Magennis injured again? Sorry just catching up.

Hibees1973
03-03-2023, 04:23 PM

Just looked at the Team V Livi thread and Johnson has said Magennis has had an injection and is not available again tomorrow.

PHeffernan
03-03-2023, 04:43 PM

No he's fine.
Will play his 50th game for Hibs on Saturday.

Caveat, LJ said a couple have sustained knocks in training but not saying who.

B.H.F.C
03-03-2023, 04:50 PM
No he's fine.
Will play his 50th game for Hibs on Saturday.

Caveat, LJ said a couple have sustained knocks in training but not saying who.

Quote from LJ in the EEN.

"Kyle Magennis is out; he’s had an injection so we’ll see how that settles down. Jake Doyle-Hayes is also out; he’s had an injection as well. There’s been fits and starts in terms of what we can get out of him in training. He’s still aggravated by the injury and I think we just need to look after him, holistically at the moment.

"Joe Newell is also out. He had an injection for his ankle on Monday and it needs time to settle, plus it wouldn’t have been ideal to play him on the AstroTurf, so we’ll see where we are after this game.”

Onion
03-03-2023, 04:55 PM
Real pity as he's clearly still able to compete in Scotland but Hibs need to have fully fit effective players. Let him go in the summer and move on.

worcesterhibby
03-03-2023, 04:59 PM

"Kyle Magennis is out; he’s had an injection so we’ll see how that settles down. Jake Doyle-Hayes is also out; he’s had an injection as well. There’s been fits and starts in terms of what we can get out of him in training. He’s still aggravated by the injury and I think we just need to look after him, holistically at the moment.

"Joe Newell is also out. He had an injection for his ankle on Monday and it needs time to settle, plus it wouldn’t have been ideal to play him on the AstroTurf, so we’ll see where we are after this game.”

To be honest I wouldn’t want to be risking any players coming back from injury on the Livi pitch, it’s horrendous and quite simply shouldn’t be allowed in the top flight.

lyonhibs
03-03-2023, 05:01 PM
Had a few great performances of late, clearly still got it at this level but his injury record since he joined his been unfortunately rank. Assuming that's the last we see of him, he's not lived up to expectations or investment

Nakedmanoncrack
03-03-2023, 05:09 PM
Career over I would have thought.

e2los
03-03-2023, 05:25 PM
This sounds grim, I'm hoping we haven't seen the last of McGeady iin a hibs shirt or as a coach for us.
Good luck to him regardless of whatever happens

Donegal Hibby
03-03-2023, 05:39 PM
Magennis is only 24, he played 23 games in his 1st season at Hibs, 13 in his 2nd and 13 so far this season and has had no further bad injuries this season.
McGeady is 37 in a months time and will play 14 games for Hibs this season. He has now had 3 back to back bad injuries.

Magennis has a chance to move forward now, McGeady is done.
Mcgeady is in his late 30s so was Strachan , modric and a host of other players too and reaching 37 doesn't necessarily mean your finished as a footballer. It's not good getting bad injuries at Mcgeady's age though the guy might still come back from it and saying he's done is abit premature. LJ has said it's the clubs duty to get him fit again , so who knows what will happen . As to Magennis having a chance to move forward he's been injured on and off since we got him and his injury record's even worse than Mcgeady's though I'd still like to see him getting more of a chance before dismissing him as done too !.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kyle-magennis/verletzungen/spieler/399258

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2023, 05:44 PM
Just looked at the Team V Livi thread and Johnson has said Magennis has had an injection and is not available again tomorrow.

:rolleyes:

Potentially our worst value for money signing in a generation.

Just Alf
03-03-2023, 05:55 PM
:rolleyes:

Potentially our worst value for money signing in a generation.Aye... my high hopes are soundly in tatters... :-/

Keith_M
03-03-2023, 06:07 PM
Had this discussion on another thread but, while I agree that McGeady is a fantastic player (not always, but mostly) to have in your side when he's actually fit, I can't help but feel that signing him has turned out to be a mistake.

Ten games in one season is not exactly what I'd call value for money.

JamesHFC
03-03-2023, 06:32 PM
Had this discussion on another thread but, while I agree that McGeady is a fantastic player (not always, but mostly) to have in your side when he's actually fit, I can't help but feel that signing him has turned out to be a mistake.

Ten games in one season is not exactly what I'd call value for money.

It’s a mistake if it doesn’t come off. In this case it hasn’t, just like Magennis & Boyle since his return (who cost way more money). **** happens, I don’t think it was a bad signing at the time though.

GreenGray
03-03-2023, 06:57 PM
Bit of an odd comment given his injury record this season.

Finished would imply he was finished as a player, did he look finished to you?

GreenGray
03-03-2023, 06:58 PM
They were right?

Did he look finished to you?

J-C
03-03-2023, 07:45 PM

Spoke to Doyle Hayes near his flat at Lawrie Reilly PL, he said he'd had an op on his ankle but when he trains or plays it starts flaring up, says he's needing cortisone injections and is going back to see a specialist, sounded rather peed of about it.

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2023, 07:57 PM
Finished would imply he was finished as a player, did he look finished to you?

If your seasons now consist of 10 - 15 appearances then you’re finished as a player.

Much like Magennis, being a decent player once in a blue moon isn’t enough.

CB Hibs 68
03-03-2023, 08:33 PM
If your seasons now consist of 10 - 15 appearances then you’re finished as a player.

Much like Magennis, being a decent player once in a blue moon isn’t enough.
Yup.Magennis is a player.That’s what I think based on his occasional performances for Hibs.Sadly he is f:::::d all the time.Feel for him but if you can’t string more than 4 or 5 games together then you are no use.Hibs have been patient with Magennis but sadly he is our sick note.

Silky
03-03-2023, 09:55 PM

Boyle has only made 12 appearances this season and I believe he wasn't cheap. He, too, has also had his share of serious injuries. But it's ok, cos it's Boyle.

Lancs Harp
03-03-2023, 10:06 PM
If theres ever going to be a zimmer frame world club championship we'll pish it.

cameronw-hfc
03-03-2023, 11:02 PM
I'd keep him for a year. Let him get fit and go again, if we don't get much from him next year call it quits, but he got fit, looked good and done his hammy for the first time ever apparently, so would give him another go based on the performances we got.

Bridge hibs
04-03-2023, 04:34 AM
Shame, McGeady was always going to be a risk but I think his injuries have caught up with him. I was happy we signed him and on his day can be levels above and great to watch, vastly experienced player to have in and around the team. Hopefully he can recover and get himself fit again

Libby Hibby
04-03-2023, 05:47 AM
I’d keep him, purely for his experience, high standards and influence. And if he does get back to fitness, he’s shown he can still play at this level. Perhaps a pay as you play deal would suit both parties.

Greenio
04-03-2023, 07:15 AM
Shame, as we've been a stronger team when he starts.

Without him and Newell, we are far worse off for todays match

neil7908
04-03-2023, 07:26 AM
Does any footballer ever actually accept a pay as you play deal? My feeling is fans talk about them a lot but I rarely hear about them in practice, for obvious reasons.

Unless we can agree one of these miraculous deals, or a very low weekly wage with some incentives for games and goals then I can't see any case for McGeady staying beyond the end of the season.

We already have some great potential options for next season in Nisbet, Boyle and Youan so we need to considering carefully how we allocate our budget, and I can't see any sensible business case to keep him.

He's had a great career though and clearly still has the skills and mentality, his body just isn't up to it anymore.

JimBHibees
04-03-2023, 08:34 AM
I’d keep him, purely for his experience, high standards and influence. And if he does get back to fitness, he’s shown he can still play at this level. Perhaps a pay as you play deal would suit both parties.

Don't think it would suit the player

JimBHibees
04-03-2023, 08:35 AM
Does any footballer ever actually accept a pay as you play deal? My feeling is fans talk about them a lot but I rarely hear about them in practice, for obvious reasons.

Unless we can agree one of these miraculous deals, or a very low weekly wage with some incentives for games and goals then I can't see any case for McGeady staying beyond the end of the season.

We already have some great potential options for next season in Nisbet, Boyle and Youan so we need to considering carefully how we allocate our budget, and I can't see any sensible business case to keep him.

He's had a great career though and clearly still has the skills and mentality, his body just isn't up to it anymore.

Nisbet will be leaving in the summer won't he

easty
04-03-2023, 08:56 AM
Nisbet will be leaving in the summer won't he

More than likely aye. I don’t think that should influence our decision about McGeady though.

When Nisbet is away we’ll need another quality striker.

easty
04-03-2023, 08:58 AM
Don't think it would suit the player

Neither do I. It’s effectively a zero hours contract.

I highly doubt that McGeady needs the money enough to accept that kind of deal.

GreenPJ
04-03-2023, 09:09 AM
Neither do I. It’s effectively a zero hours contract.

I highly doubt that McGeady needs the money enough to accept that kind of deal.

Not sure how zero hours would work where there is obligation to train and he would have to be remunerated for that training. I suspect it will all come down to the second opinion.

easty
04-03-2023, 09:27 AM
Not sure how zero hours would work where there is obligation to train and he would have to be remunerated for that training. I suspect it will all come down to the second opinion.

You get paid to train on a pay as you play deal?

So it’s not a pay as you play deal at all?

MWHIBBIES
04-03-2023, 09:44 AM

Never actually been given a proper example of "pay as you play" deals existing. Utter myth. Any player would be an absolute idiot to sign that.

Smartie
04-03-2023, 09:56 AM
Never actually been given a proper example of "pay as you play" deals existing. Utter myth. Any player would be an absolute idiot to sign that.

Did George Best not have one at Hibs?

(Your point is reasonable though, they’re not exactly commonplace).

Green Reaper
04-03-2023, 10:00 AM
Did George Best not have one at Hibs?

(Your point is reasonable though, they’re not exactly commonplace).

Not sure if it was a pay as you play for Best but, if I recall correctly, Tom Hart was paying his wages, about £2000 p/w

Donegal Hibby
04-03-2023, 10:17 AM
Not sure if it was a pay as you play for Best but, if I recall correctly, Tom Hart was paying his wages, about £2000 p/w
Been trying to check up on what Mcgeady's wages are and what I've read ( probably a load of tom kite btw ) is that he's on between £1,700 to £2,500 a week and Ewan Henderson on over £3,000 .

easty
04-03-2023, 10:22 AM
Been trying to check up on what Mcgeady's wages are and what I've read ( probably a load of tom kite btw ) is that he's on between £1,700 to £2,500 a week and Ewan Henderson on over £3,000 .

Just goes to prove that everything you read online about player salaries is a nonsense

JimBHibees
04-03-2023, 11:14 AM
More than likely aye. I don’t think that should influence our decision about McGeady though.

When Nisbet is away we’ll need another quality striker.

Totally agree totally unrelated

Hibbyradge
04-03-2023, 01:06 PM

George Best was an idiot?

There have been other deals like that but I can't remember who the players were and they're very very rare.

weecounty hibby
04-03-2023, 03:10 PM
I'd give him another season.

Northernhibee
04-03-2023, 03:13 PM
George Best was an idiot?

There have been other deals like that but I can't remember who the players were and they're very very rare.
Michael Owen at Man United was one.

I’m really not keen on them. If a player is training and working for the benefit of the club, they deserve to get paid.

hibee-boys
04-03-2023, 03:24 PM
Hibs would need to pay a minimum wage like every other employer in the UK. This ’pay if you play’ is nonsense these days. Hibs could of course pay minimum wage with defined bonuses.

silverhibee
05-03-2023, 12:35 PM

I was all for giving him another year if he stayed fit, that’s not happening so for me he can leave at the end of the season.

GreenGray
06-03-2023, 10:32 AM

When it’s your only option though?

I’m certain it’s been used before particularly with aging players.

Onceinawhile
06-03-2023, 11:17 AM
I think a pay as you play deal would need to cover a basic wage for training etc... then a bonus for playing.

Additionally there would need to be some element for when the gaffer just doesn't pick you.

The Tubs
06-03-2023, 11:50 AM

I’m really not keen on them. If a player is training and working for the benefit of the club, they deserve to get paid.

I think Chico had one too:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/nostalgia/remembering-when-chic-charnley-fired-hibs-opening-day-win-over-celtic-1997-2928417

Jim44
06-03-2023, 12:58 PM
As somebody said back a bit, McGeady, albeit a very good player, is not value for money in the bigger scheme of things. If LJ is going to take us to the level we want to be at, he has to get players who are regularly fit and available, not players who will be available for the odd game and vulnerable to further injury. Unpopular and disappointing as it may be, McGeady has to be released at the earliest opportunity.

easty
06-03-2023, 01:03 PM
Even if a "pay as you play deal" was a realistic option, we've got a finite budget and we'd have to budget for him playing every week, because he might.

Which would mean not bringing in someone else to play there. Which would leave us short when he misses over half the season injured.

He'll not be here next season, hopefully we're already looking into replacements.

Tyler Durden
06-03-2023, 05:05 PM

Owen was on something like £30k a week and then he got bonuses for appearances and goals.

It wasn’t like he didn’t earn if he didn’t make the squad

Big_Franck
06-03-2023, 05:10 PM
Get rid. Not worth the wage that could be better used elsewhere.

Hibbyradge
06-03-2023, 06:19 PM
Get rid. Not worth the wage that could be better used elsewhere.

And he can take Boyle with him.

Big_Franck
06-03-2023, 06:46 PM

Very slight difference in their contributions to Hibernian FC over the years. Just a tad.

Highwayman
06-03-2023, 07:05 PM
I like McGeady.A player of proven quality,but with his injury history and age it wouldn’t be realistic for Hibs to offer him a new contract.

As a possible replacement will we ever see Dan Mackay in a Hibs jersey again.

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2023, 07:08 PM

Are you for real?

Kato
06-03-2023, 07:11 PM
Are you for real?The clue is in the name :greengrin

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Smartie
06-03-2023, 07:22 PM
Does it not depend on what he's looking for?

You'd expect a player who has played for the clubs he has to want a few quid.

But maybe he doesn't? Maybe he knows he'll be a long time retired, maybe he really enjoyed still being able to contribute what he could when he was fit? Maybe he realises the age he is and maybe he realises that he's a huge risk for a club to pay top dollar for?

Therefore, maybe he wouldn't be looking for that much? And maybe there's common ground to be found between a very useful but ageing and injury prone player and a club who can see the impact he makes when fit but who would have question marks over how often he'd be in a position to make such a contribution?

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2023, 07:26 PM

But maybe he doesn't? Maybe he knows he'll be a long time retired, maybe he really enjoyed still being able to contribute what he could when he was fit? Maybe he realises the age he is and maybe he realises that he's a huge risk for a club to pay top dollar for?

Therefore, maybe he wouldn't be looking for that much? And maybe there's common ground to be found between a very useful but ageing and injury prone player and a club who can see the impact he makes when fit but who would have question marks over how often he'd be in a position to make such a contribution?

He’s also probably happy to be back up the road. If he still wants to play, wants to stay in the central belt and wants to potentially challenge for Europe next season then he’s not exactly got many better options than Hibs. Nobody else will be offering him big bucks either.

HoboHarry
06-03-2023, 07:43 PM
The clue is in the name :greengrin

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Think the radge is a good fisherman too, reeled in a couple there :greengrin

IberianHibernian
06-03-2023, 08:51 PM

Therefore, maybe he wouldn't be looking for that much? And maybe there's common ground to be found between a very useful but ageing and injury prone player and a club who can see the impact he makes when fit but who would have question marks over how often he'd be in a position to make such a contribution?Good points . Even this season , did he not say in one of his interviews that he wasn``t playing for financial reasons but because he likes playing ? Apart from still being a fantastic player , he seems to have a good attitude and LJ mentioned how hard McGeady had worked to get back to full fitness . We don`t know if he wants to keep playing ( he probably won`t know himself till he sees his fitness situation in summer ) but if he does , I hope we sign him for another year . Already doing courses to be coach and sports manager so maybe some contract mixing playing with other duties might be possible .

Hibbyradge
07-03-2023, 09:11 PM
Are you for real?

Yeah, of course. :rolleyes:

wookie70
07-03-2023, 09:27 PM
As a possible replacement will we ever see Dan Mackay in a Hibs jersey again.

Not likely. He hasn't done that well at ICT. From the 3 or 4 times I have seen him he is barely good enough for them and their support haven't taken to him,

Bridge hibs
08-03-2023, 04:42 AM
Not likely. He hasn't done that well at ICT. From the 3 or 4 times I have seen him he is barely good enough for them and their support haven't taken to him,Strange one, Im sure the Inverness fans were pretty disappointed when he left to sign for us, similar to Raith fans when we signed Tait. Shame the lads just havent stepped up and I doubt we will see either in the hibs first team now

Bobby's Cinema
08-03-2023, 05:42 AM
We don't know the impact he may have had in the dressing room also, could be another factor for LJ wanting to keep him around.

I thought his return to fitness and inclusion seemed to co-incide very much with our new found confidence and bringing Youan out of his shell with the two of them linking up.

Having said that, I don't fancy another half season where he is contracted to Hibs and listening to him on sportsound in far flung places in europe doing Celtic games.

I wouldn't mind a short term extension for him because I enjoy watching him. But it needs to be on the understanding that he is a bit-part player, not to be relied upon every week and our transfer window should make sure we have players in place good enough that that's all he's asked to be. That's where we've fallen short and into a trap on this one and in other areas.

HFCbingo
28-03-2023, 01:21 AM
https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/aiden-mcgeady-hibs-injury-boost-26548996 sounds promising :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
28-03-2023, 06:13 AM
https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/aiden-mcgeady-hibs-injury-boost-26548996 sounds promising :thumbsup:

Doesn't really give much info wonder if any chance he could be back this season would doubt it.

Superfurry72
28-03-2023, 09:22 AM
Strange one, Im sure the Inverness fans were pretty disappointed when he left to sign for us, similar to Raith fans when we signed Tait. Shame the lads just havent stepped up and I doubt we will see either in the hibs first team now

A shame it hasn't really happened for him at Hibs. Especially as I used to go out with his auntie when I was at school!

Hibbyradge
28-03-2023, 01:11 PM
A shame it hasn't really happened for him at Hibs. Especially as I used to go out with his auntie when I was at school!

:hilarious

That's in the running for the lamest ever humblebrag award! :greengrin

Superfurry72
28-03-2023, 03:45 PM
:hilarious

That's in the running for the lamest ever humblebrag award! :greengrin

Ha ha! You could be right there

PHeffernan
28-03-2023, 04:30 PM
Doesn't really give much info wonder if any chance he could be back this season would doubt it.

No chance he will be back this season.
Some level of hamstring injury to need surgery.

PHeffernan
28-03-2023, 04:37 PM

Hibs told us all that information last week

PHeffernan
28-03-2023, 06:26 PM

Great player but 3 back to back horrendous injuries. Game over.
Has played 9 games this season. Magennis averages twice that amount and gets abuse.

Donegal Hibby
28-03-2023, 08:37 PM
Great player but 3 back to back horrendous injuries. Game over.
Has played 9 games this season. Magennis averages twice that amount and gets abuse.
Quality player no doubt . We don't know what both Mcgeady or Hibs will decide on yet, he's had his operation and it's went well and Hibs will help him with his rehabilitation. So the ' Game over ' comment is abit premature at this stage . Magennis and Mcgeady's situation's are totally different, Mcgeady was only signed in the summer and Magennis has been at us 3 years and in that time he's been mainly injured . I don't know if this is correct but I read he's only played about around 40 odd games for us in 3 years . I'm all for players been given a fair chance after a injury like Mcgeady though 3 years of injuries has me wondering should it be GAME OVER !

Northernhibee
28-03-2023, 08:54 PM
It would be the height of stupidity to offer McGeady a new contract. That's nothing to do with his ability, mind you.