PDA

View Full Version : RIP Allan McGraw

StevieT
01-03-2023, 09:51 AM
Not seen this posted anywhere else https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64809988

Hiber-nation
01-03-2023, 10:19 AM
RIP Allan. He was one of the first Hibs players I remember watching back in the mid 60s.

eastterrace
01-03-2023, 10:32 AM
I remember him playing at tynecastle in league cup semi final against dundee with big bandage on his leg and he scored the winning goal. RIP

madsen5
01-03-2023, 10:37 AM
I remember him playing at tynecastle in league cup semi final against dundee with big bandage on his leg and he scored the winning goal. RIP
I was there as well great player RIP.

BILLYHIBS
01-03-2023, 10:52 AM
Deepest sincerest condolences to family and friends

RIP Legend

leith lynx
01-03-2023, 10:56 AM
Sad to hear, one of the first football chants I heard was "feed McGraw, McGraw, he's always on the ba'" a well loved Hibs player and by all accounts a very nice man, like Arthur Montford a big Greenock Morton man, his son Mark also played for us. Rest in peace Allan.

Alfred E Newman
01-03-2023, 11:03 AM
Stanton, Madsen, McGraw great memories.
RIP

Mick O'Rourke
01-03-2023, 11:13 AM
Sad to hear, one of the first football chants I heard was "feed McGraw, McGraw, he's always on the ba'" a well loved Hibs player and by all accounts a very nice man, like Arthur Montford a big Greenock Morton man, his son Mark also played for us. Rest in peace Allan.

I was about to quote the same song for Allan.
Of course the main memory of those who saw him would be that LC semi final at Tynecastle.
Allan went off injured, only to return with his leg heavily strapped and he scored the winning goal in "injury time" !
He suffered throughout his footballing career from constant leg/knee pain.
Despite that,his goal scoring tally at Morton was remarkable.

RIP Allan McGraw

leith lynx
01-03-2023, 11:22 AM
Of course the main memory of those who saw him would be that LC semi final at Tynecastle.
Allan went off injured, only to return with his leg heavily strapped and he scored the winning goal in "injury time" !

RIP Allan McGraw

Good to see you posting again Mick, yes they don't make them like Allan McGraw anymore!

Since452
01-03-2023, 11:44 AM
My late father spoke about McGraw often. Said he was a great player. RIP.

gbhibby
01-03-2023, 12:05 PM

RIP Allan McGraw
RIP Allan McGraw was there that night.

heretoday
01-03-2023, 12:11 PM
He didn't have any qualms about sticking the ball in the net. Like Joe McBride.

What great players we had in the sixties. They're far too often overshadowed by the Tornadoes.

belhavenbill
01-03-2023, 12:46 PM
A hero of mine , especially after that semi-final. RIP Allan.

Roxyhibee
01-03-2023, 12:58 PM
Remember his name well and was there to witness that last gasp Semi Final goal at Tyne he put in, despite being injured! Guy was a warrior for Hibs no doubt.

As someone has already said, what a crop of players we had coming and going in the mid to late 60’s when I first started going - Cormack, Stevenson, Simpson, Martin, Quinn, McNamee, Davis, Stanton, Marinello, McBride, Stanton, Stein, O’Rourke, McGraw… In any other period, you’d think that talent would have won something but Stein was rapidly making one of the best teams in Europe then and even Rangers were regularly in European QFs, semis and a couple of finals.

hibeg
01-03-2023, 01:29 PM
RIP Allan

archie
01-03-2023, 02:01 PM

RIP Allan McGraw
Because of the impact of injuries on him I recall he wouldn't let players take injections to play.

heretoday
01-03-2023, 02:13 PM
Remember his name well and was there to witness that last gasp Semi Final goal at Tyne he put in, despite being injured! Guy was a warrior for Hibs no doubt.

As someone has already said, what a crop of players we had coming and going in the mid to late 60’s when I first started going - Cormack, Stevenson, Simpson, Martin, Quinn, McNamee, Davis, Stanton, Marinello, McBride, Stanton, Stein, O’Rourke, McGraw… In any other period, you’d think that talent would have won something but Stein was rapidly making one of the best teams in Europe then and even Rangers were regularly in European QFs, semis and a couple of finals.

The thing is Stein could have done the same at Easter Road, had he stayed. I'm convinced of that.

He's here!
01-03-2023, 02:29 PM
Because of the impact of injuries on him I recall he wouldn't let players take injections to play.

Yep I think he was left with lifelong mobility issues due to the number of jabs he got in his knees to enable him to play. We get frustrated by the length of time players are out injured these days but you simply can't take the sort of shortcuts used in his day. In saying that, I think Rafa Nadal's long-running knee troubles may be related to similar issues.

I actually thought Allan had passed away a while ago. I hoped for big things from his son Mark at Hibs but it never really happened for him.

Mick O'Rourke
01-03-2023, 02:52 PM
Looking back
The frequency and use of cortisone injections given to some players in Allan's era was appalling and unethical.
I read that Allan had 25 injections during one season when at Morton.
He knew later on and sadly for him,the long term mobility issues partly caused by these jabs.

BILLYHIBS
01-03-2023, 03:08 PM
Alan Gordon took a few injections IIRC

Mick O'Rourke
01-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Allan scored a penalty against Hibs in the replay of the LC semi final 63/64 at ibrox
The only goal of the game . I was at both games.
Went through on the St Giles bus.
Morton had some great crowds back in those days.
Surprising knowing the amount of OF gloryhunters down Inverclyde way.

https://www.gmfc.net/scottish-league-cup-memories-1963-64/

Allan was responsible for some of Morton's greatests moments,both as player and manager
A stand is named in his honour.
Am sure Allan had some great memories of his time at Cappielow(and at Hibs!)
He was, i understand from the Morton fans forum, still recently attending matches.
Certainly the folk of Greenock will aye remember Allan McGraw............

Mr Morton

Feed McGraw
01-03-2023, 05:33 PM
Sad to hear, one of the first football chants I heard was "feed McGraw, McGraw, he's always on the ba'" a well loved Hibs player and by all accounts a very nice man, like Arthur Montford a big Greenock Morton man, his son Mark also played for us. Rest in peace Allan. Obviously it was that very same chant I chose my user name from. R.I.P. Allan and thanks for the great Hibee memories you made, especially that amazing semi v Dundee.

Jonnyboy
01-03-2023, 05:34 PM
Was a wonderful player for Hibs.

RIP Allan

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2023, 06:07 PM
Stanton, Madsen, McGraw great memories.
RIP

Scott Quinn Stein Cormack and Stevenson.

A good side that funnily enough got better after selling Stein and Cormack when we reached the 70s.

Mick O'Rourke
01-03-2023, 06:42 PM
Scott Quinn Stein Cormack and Stevenson.

A good side that funnily enough got better after selling Stein and Cormack when we reached the 70s.

Am not so sure about that BH ��
Had Bob Shankly in 1969 not resigned in protest at the board not backing his ambitions.
(selling best players and no funds to replace them)
There was some turmoil after Bob left.
Our owner the bookie Harrower selling to Hart the builder !.
Dave Ewing signing the Great Joe Baker and telling everyone that rAngers are rubbish !
Willie McFarlane falling out with Hart over team selection and getting sacked #!
He was good to.(Willie) in the short time he was with us.

Who knows ?
The term "Turnbull's Tornadoes" might never have been coined,had Bob stayed.
I thought Bob was a great manager and many of his peers in management did also including Jock Stein.
He won the league with Dundee, early sixties, beating oldco by 3 pts and reached semi final of the then European Cup.

Onion
01-03-2023, 07:41 PM

:agree: Remember being at school and reading next day about Alan going off injured, then coming back on to score the winner in that game. Instant hero to me.

Then, seeing a documentary many years later about how he was regularly given painkilling injections during his career which had messed up his knees/ankles and caused him such problems later in life. I felt awful, and almost wrote to Alan to say how sorry I was to hear about his problems - but that to me (as a young Hibs fan at school) he was an absolute hero for what he was prepared to do for the Hibs.

So sad to hear. I will always remember Alan McGraw. My first Hibs Hero.

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2023, 07:54 PM
Am not so sure about that BH ��
Had Bob Shankly in 1969 not resigned in protest at the board not backing his ambitions.
(selling best players and no funds to replace them)
There was some turmoil after Bob left.
Our owner the bookie Harrower selling to Hart the builder !.
Dave Ewing signing the Great Joe Baker and telling everyone that rAngers are rubbish !
Willie McFarlane falling out with Hart over team selection and getting sacked #!
He was good to.(Willie) in the short time he was with us.

Who knows ?
The term "Turnbull's Tornadoes" might never have been coined,had Bob stayed.
I thought Bob was a great manager and many of his peers in management did also including Jock Stein.
He won the league with Dundee, early sixties, beating oldco by 3 pts and reached semi final of the then European Cup.

I remember it all, who knows what could have happened, but what did happen was we got Turnbull and i personally saw the best team i have seen as a Hibs fan. :greengrin

Albeit not for long enough.:boo hoo:

ancient hibee
01-03-2023, 08:33 PM
:agree: Remember being at school and reading next day about Alan going off injured, then coming back on to score the winner in that game. Instant hero to me.

Then, seeing a documentary many years later about how he was regularly given painkilling injections during his career which had messed up his knees/ankles and caused him such problems later in life. I felt awful, and almost wrote to Alan to say how sorry I was to hear about his problems - but that to me (as a young Hibs fan at school) he was an absolute hero for what he was prepared to do for the Hibs.

So sad to hear. I will always remember Alan McGraw. My first Hibs Hero.

He was so brave with the goal. I was about 10 yards away and he slid in and we could hear the crack as his bad knee collided with the post as he scored. He also played a big part in the winning goal in the 6-5 at Dunfermline when he took a very(very)quick free kick for Jim Scott to run on and score-ball still moving said the Pars.One of my favourite players of that time. Reinvented himself as a left half and played as if he’d never been an out and out striker.

Mick O'Rourke
01-03-2023, 09:01 PM
He was so brave with the goal. I was about 10 yards away and he slid in and we could hear the crack as his bad knee collided with the post as he scored. He also played a big part in the winning goal in the 6-5 at Dunfermline when he took a very(very)quick free kick for Jim Scott to run on and score-ball still moving said the Pars.One of my favourite players of that time. Reinvented himself as a left half and played as if he’d never been an out and out striker.

AH
Strange my only memory of both those games are the deciding goals.
Although you have jogged it a bit
Although a bit hazy,Jim Scott's decider in the Pars game seemed to take hours to trundle towards goal then over the line.
I guess the 6 yard box was a bit muddy at the time. I was behind that goal.

Allan's goal v Dundee at Tynie was nothing short of football bravery.
To slide in as you say to score the goal with an injury that he must have known was quite serious.

Had the substitution rule at the time i think been 2 players on the bench, Allan would not have came back on.
I think another player went off injured and subbed as well.
I stand to be corrected.
A truly brave football warrior and of course a great favourite for many at the time.
You dont get your own song for nought !

GGTTH and Allan McGraw

BILLYHIBS
01-03-2023, 09:17 PM
He was not called Quick Draw McGraw for nothing ( anyone remember the cartoon?) scoring 116 goals in 137 games over five seasons for Greenock Morton including 58 league goals in the 1963/64 season Division 2

A phenomenal goal scoring record by any standards

Legend

Bayern Bru
02-03-2023, 05:38 AM
AH
Allan's goal v Dundee at Tynie was nothing short of football bravery.
To slide in as you say to score the goal with an injury that he must have known was quite serious.

Had the substitution rule at the time i think been 2 players on the bench, Allan would not have came back on.
I think another player went off injured and subbed as well.
I stand to be corrected.
A truly brave football warrior and of course a great favourite for many at the time.
You dont get your own song for nought !

GGTTH and Allan McGraw

You’re spot on - a certain Jimmy O’Rourke had come on for Pat Quinn earlier.

Mick O'Rourke
02-03-2023, 11:53 AM
You’re spot on - a certain Jimmy O’Rourke had come on for Pat Quinn earlier.

Well remembered ! What a memory !
Another terrific player who had his own terracing song.
Pat "The General" Quinn aka The Might Quinn.
From the Dylan song "Quinn the Eskimo" (The Mighty Quinn)
made famous in the UK by Manfred Mann as Mighty Quinn

:singing:Come all without, come all within
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn:singing:

Come all without, come all within
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn:singing:

heretoday
02-03-2023, 12:03 PM

I remember the 6-5 game well. I've still got the programme! McGraw was sharp as a tack to jump up and slip the ball through for Scott.

Mick O'Rourke
02-03-2023, 12:29 PM
I remember the 6-5 game well. I've still got the programme! McGraw was sharp as a tack to jump up and slip the ball through for Scott.

Old pal i went to school with got sent to approved school around that time.
It was a Catholic one in Bishopriggs. St Mary's i think it was named
Most of the "inmates" and monks who ran the place were from the West of Scotland and Celtic minded.
He was the only Hibby
He recalls them sat round the radio on the Saturdays listening to results being announced.
No TV teleprinter for them bad boys!
The announcer, i forgot his name, would slowly drawl out the results.
So when he said Dunfermline Athletic (pause) 5 Hibernian (another pause) 6, my pal went from gloom to glee .
His crime ? Kipping school ..Aye,the good old days !!.

GIBBY NEWTON
02-03-2023, 12:57 PM
Not seen this posted anywhere else https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64809988

A great pro wherever he played & a Morton stalwart ! A privilege to have seen him play for Hibs & that winning goal in LC semi with the injury a testament to who he was. Would have went thru a brick wall for sure. R.I.P. Allan McGraw forever in my thoughts!