Pretty Boy
23-02-2023, 08:59 AM
Has passed away aged 77.

Irish_Steve
23-02-2023, 09:13 AM
Ach, sad news indeed, another part of my youth gone

Bostonhibby
23-02-2023, 09:25 AM
Shame, liked him a lot,proper football commentator.

RIP Motty.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
23-02-2023, 09:25 AM
Always decent in his commentaries. Think he only wore the sheepskin coat once on TV and got landed with the stereotype. Another reminder a whole load of people who I grew up watching or listening to are taking their final bow.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

HendoDelivered
23-02-2023, 09:33 AM
Rip sir. What a commentator 👌🏼

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2023, 10:12 AM
Always decent in his commentaries. Think he only wore the sheepskin coat once on TV and got landed with the stereotype. Another reminder a whole load of people who I grew up watching or listening to are taking their final bow.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

He wore the sheepskin coat regularly and went through several of them, he once said he paid two grand for one. The voice of football for me.

ChilliEater
23-02-2023, 10:36 AM
I liked Motson. He was one who could mention 1966 with absolutely no context to the game being played and I'd just roll my eyes, mutter "ffs Motty" and laugh.

Lago
23-02-2023, 10:47 AM
Excellent commentator, could certainly teach a few of today's lot how it's done.

NthCarolinaHibs
23-02-2023, 10:57 AM
The voice of football,for me, growing up..RIP Motty..🕊️

The Baldmans Comb
23-02-2023, 11:11 AM
A commentator with a great love of football though only in an English context summed up in one of these BBC love ins and listed his top 10 games of all time and every one of them involved an English club.:confused:

Didn't he just love dropping 1966 out of nowhere into a commentary though he did it in a natural unassuming way and he was always meticulous in his overall match preperration.

A man of his time but its only when you listen to these modern English commentators who are absolutely at the top of their game in breadth of knowledge, speed of thought and use of technology and you realise how far the art of commentary has moved on.

heretoday
23-02-2023, 11:15 AM
"Ooh and a strong challenge from Olarticoechea there."

RIP Motty.

NAE NOOKIE
23-02-2023, 11:37 AM
RIP Motty

Spike Mandela
23-02-2023, 11:40 AM
Check out his commentary on the Brilliant France v Portugal 1984 Euro game. Excitable to say the least.:greengrin

Irish_Steve
23-02-2023, 11:42 AM
A commentator with a great love of football though only in an English context summed up in one of these BBC love ins and listed his top 10 games of all time and every one of them involved an English club.:confused:

Didn't he just love dropping 1966 out of nowhere into a commentary though he did it in a natural unassuming way and he was always meticulous in his overall match preperration.

A man of his time but its only when you listen to these modern English commentators who are absolutely at the top of their game in breadth of knowledge, speed of thought and use of technology and you realise how far the art of commentary has moved on.

I would suggest the art of commentary has moved on as a result of advancements in technology and being able to Google any player.

John Motson worked with what he had which in the 70’s, wasn’t a lot with regards to European and International games

Pagan Hibernia
23-02-2023, 12:23 PM

i’d take Motty’s old school ramblings over Peter Drury’s cringe inducing pish any day of the week!

the voice of countless cup finals and world cups from my youth. Sad day.

heretoday
23-02-2023, 01:13 PM
i’d take Motty’s old school ramblings over Peter Drury’s cringe inducing pish any day of the week!

the voice of countless cup finals and world cups from my youth. Sad day.

Hear hear. I don't think commentary has moved on at all. In fact it's regressed in my view to the extent that people wish there was a button to turn the chatter off.

TV has decreed that we now also require a pundit in the box to explain to us what we've just seen with our own eyes and to banter charmlessly with Drury or whoever. Time was when the Colemans and Motsons of this world told us who had the ball but largely let the action speak for itself.

"Keegan! One nil!" Ah brevity.......the soul of wit.

supermcginn
23-02-2023, 02:04 PM

An English man who loved English football, who would have thought it.

I'd much rather listen to Motson, Barry Davies and Brian Moore than the absolutely terrible modern likes of Sam Matterface and Darren Fletcher!

HoboHarry
23-02-2023, 02:22 PM

I'd much rather listen to Motson, Barry Davies and Brian Moore than the absolutely terrible modern likes of Sam Matterface and Darren Fletcher!
In fairness there are some good ones today, Arlo White being the pick of the bunch for me. Haven't heard him commentating for a while mind you...

Hibernia&Alba
23-02-2023, 04:24 PM
A true legend of football broadcasting on the BBC. A genuinely sad day for football fans, and even those with only a passing interest would recognise his voice. Motty and Barry Davies were the big two at the Beeb for many years.

Pretty Boy
23-02-2023, 04:46 PM
An apt trubute from the SFA, I'm sure a few on here will enjoy:

https://fb.watch/iTnRPvF3t_/

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-02-2023, 05:50 PM
His commentary for Ronnie Radford's goal for Hereford against Newcastle is iconic. Legendary voice who added to what was being seen, rather than got in the way like so many of today's football experts seem to do.

Irish_Steve
23-02-2023, 07:51 PM
His commentary for Ronnie Radford's goal for Hereford against Newcastle is iconic. Legendary voice who added to what was being seen, rather than got in the way like so many of today's football experts seem to do.

Sam Matterface is awful for that, sometimes I think he spends hours trying to think up of "clever" things to say rather than just commenting on what is happening in front of him.

WestCoastHibby
23-02-2023, 10:29 PM
I liked Motson. He was one who could mention 1966 with absolutely no context to the game being played and I'd just roll my eyes, mutter "ffs Motty" and laugh.

Absolutely, sad that he’s gone but I’m no hypocrite he used to get right on my wick regularly.
Barry Davies was my favourite

Baader
23-02-2023, 11:17 PM
Absolutely, sad that he’s gone but I’m no hypocrite he used to get right on my wick regularly.

Barry Davies was my favourite too. A good game with him commentating on it was TV football perfection.

Motty was good, a real oracle of football. Probably became a bit of a parody for the last twenty years of his career and remember him saying "it's a goal" a bit too much. But for many the voice of football.

Lancs Harp
24-02-2023, 09:35 AM

I'll have to differ with you there. I didnt like Barry Davies commentaries at all thought he put a far too negative slant on everything.

JimBHibees
26-02-2023, 07:45 AM
I'll have to differ with you there. I didnt like Barry Davies commentaries at all thought he put a far too negative slant on everything.

Absolutely spot on. Far preferred Motty to Barry Davies who on many occasions was to commentating what Mark Lawrenson was to punditry. Woe betide if you ever got them together. Motty absolutely loved football and it came over clearly and passionately in his commentaries imo.

Posh Swanny
27-02-2023, 11:07 AM
He wore the sheepskin coat regularly and went through several of them, he once said he paid two grand for one. The voice of football for me.

Looks like the sheepskin coat really came to the fore in that iconic picture of him on a snow-covered pitch at Wycombe. They were supposed to be playing against the Posh in the FA Cup that day. Me and my dad arrived into High Wycombe about 1pm, when the snow started - 30 minutes later they'd called the game off!

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1990_12_08_motson_snow_adams_park.htm

jacomo
27-02-2023, 07:44 PM

Sam Matterface is unbearable.