PDA

View Full Version : Classy from the Jambos ... this is not a joke.

NAE NOOKIE
22-02-2023, 12:06 PM
As someone mentioned elsewhere on here there is a thread in Jambos Kickback about Ron Gordon. Having had a look I have to say on a forum so often devoid of class this thread is just full of it.

7 pages of almost exclusively positive and respectful condolences from people who when push comes to shove clearly know the difference between real life and this nutty passion we all share that sometimes makes us forget we are supposed to be decent and rational human beings. On another Hibs.net thread I bemoaned the fact that we do not seem to apply the same vitriol to the derby rivalry the Jambos do and I stand by that. But there is always a line to be drawn and clearly on this occasion 99.9% of the Jambos know where it is ....... so fair play to them.

The Mercer song was mentioned a few times, but its disingenuous of anybody to ignore the circumstances which lead to the rise of that song, this was a Hearts owner who gave us more cause for us to detest him than any figure at any club in the entire history of Scottish football, what he attempted to do went beyond any notion of normal football rivalry and our reaction to it is reflective of that fact. Having said that, I have always thought that song was beneath us and what better time than now to put it to bed forever.

Since452
22-02-2023, 12:37 PM
I think Ron Gordon was universally liked. How could you not take to the guy? Even fans of our greatest rivals probably quite liked him.

Hillsidehibby
22-02-2023, 12:49 PM
Some are not so classy on Twitter. Not just Jambos though.

gbhibby
22-02-2023, 12:50 PM
As someone mentioned elsewhere on here there is a thread in Jambos Kickback about Ron Gordon. Having had a look I have to say on a forum so often devoid of class this thread is just full of it.

7 pages of almost exclusively positive and respectful condolences from people who when push comes to shove clearly know the difference between real life and this nutty passion we all share that sometimes makes us forget we are supposed to be decent and rational human beings. On another Hibs.net thread I bemoaned the fact that we do not seem to apply the same vitriol to the derby rivalry the Jambos do and I stand by that. But there is always a line to be drawn and clearly on this occasion 99.9% of the Jambos know where it is ....... so fair play to them.

The Mercer song was mentioned a few times, but its disingenuous of anybody to ignore the circumstances which lead to the rise of that song, this was a Hearts owner who gave us more cause for us to detest him than any figure at any club in the entire history of Scottish football, what he attempted to do went beyond any notion of normal football rivalry and our reaction to it is reflective of that fact. Having said that, I have always thought that song was beneath us and what better time than now to put it to bed forever.

Agree people who sing these type of songs need to have a long hard look at themselves. Not Hibs Class.

NAE NOOKIE
22-02-2023, 01:01 PM
Some are not so classy on Twitter. Not just Jambos though.

Twitter is an f'ing cesspit mate. I opened an account years ago and never use it and stuff like that is why, it simply attracts the **** of the earth and I have no interest in subjecting myself to their bile.

DIXIHIBS
22-02-2023, 01:03 PM

Agreed the vast majority are very respectful. Regarding the few who mentioned Mercer...there are more than a few who fail to grasp the enormity of what he tried...failed...to do. As far as i know, no other team in the world, has actively tried to buy over, and shut down, their main rival. I agree that the songs should stop but fully understand the anger that still exists towards him.

Lendo
22-02-2023, 01:38 PM
Generally speaking even the Rangers fans commenting on Rangers tweet about Ron were respectful. Of course there are always going to be a few ****my trolls

Dashing Bob S
22-02-2023, 06:50 PM
Great post

HoboHarry
22-02-2023, 06:53 PM

:top marks:agree:

Greencore
22-02-2023, 07:09 PM
Noticed hearts tweeted 5 minutes straight after announced by hibs. Very very classy from them.

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-02-2023, 07:23 PM
Scottish football has shown itself as very classy since we announced Ron's passing

Massive respect to Hearts, Rangers, Aberdeen, Celtic and the rest of Scottish football for their tributes to our owner who appeared to be a very likeable fella within the game. A huge loss for Scottish football

KeithTheHibby
23-02-2023, 06:24 AM
Minutes applause for Ron in the cup final on Sunday.

Spike Mandela
23-02-2023, 08:30 AM
Minutes applause for Ron in the cup final on Sunday.

Respectful thing to do but not sure a horde of tanked up Rangers fans will see it that way.. Hopefully they will surprise me.

HarpOnHibee
23-02-2023, 08:48 AM
Fair play to them all. But it's hardly pat on the back stuff. It's basic common decency that should be expected from all of us in these type of situations.

The Modfather
23-02-2023, 09:41 AM
Much like the thread we had when Levein had his health scare. There’s a lot of playing to the gallery and posturing on online message boards and social media that isn’t reflected in the real world. There’s not much difference between your average Hibs fan and a Hearts fan when all is said and done and you see that when the real issues come up.

Greencore
23-02-2023, 09:50 AM
Fair play to them all. But it's hardly pat on the back stuff. It's basic common decency that should be expected from all of us in these type of situations.

It is common decency, but I'm sure the gordon family will be touched and its about comforting them

CraigHibee
23-02-2023, 12:11 PM
been reading the thread myself and respect the fans for their condolences, as the OP has said re: mercer song, i understand where it came from etc. Can't say i've ever participated in it but feel once and for all that it should stop, it was cancer that killed mercer as well so time for some folk to be classy about it imo :agree:

I'm Spartacus
23-02-2023, 12:42 PM
Fair play to them, I wouldn't be using Twitter as a yardstick for anything, check out the Nicola Bulley case for example.

heretoday
23-02-2023, 01:16 PM
Much like the thread we had when Levein had his health scare. There’s a lot of playing to the gallery and posturing on online message boards and social media that isn’t reflected in the real world. There’s not much difference between your average Hibs fan and a Hearts fan when all is said and done and you see that when the real issues come up.

I quite agree. It's the internet that has fuelled the hatred. I can't believe some of the poison expressed on these boards at times.

lyonhibs
23-02-2023, 07:54 PM
I think, pretty fundamentally,that 99% of all football fans (let's say 90% for the Old Firm) are probably decent human beings.

Certainly applies to the Jambos when push comes to shove, as exemplified in that thread.