PDA

View Full Version : Where Do We Go From Here? - Ownership

Since452
22-02-2023, 08:07 AM
Firstly, i should start with saying how deeply saddened i am that Ron has passed away. I've been surprised at how genuinely upset it's made me.. A thoroughly likeable man with an obvious love of our club. He'll be sadly missed but wont be forgotten. I didn't want to start this thread yesterday out of respect.

Ben's statement suggests that the Gordons will continue the running of the club however without Ron leading it, i can't help but be slightly concerned about where we're headed. Is their drive and determination the same? It's a bit of a step in to the unknown now. I hope they keep up Ron's good work but i fear we'll become a bit rudderless.

Regardless of what happens in the future I think it's important that we all rally around Ian, Ben and the club in general and stick together as the Hibs family. Put all the mud slinging on the backburner for now at least. We all need to stick together right now. Hopefully we pack out the away section at Livingston and show we are as one.

The sadness at the minute made me think of the works etched on to the main stand.

"So with the Darkest Days behind. Our ship of Hope will steer. And when in doubt just keep in mind. Our motto - Persevere"

WhileTheChief..
22-02-2023, 08:26 AM
Bit too soon to be thinking of the future for me.

Will let a bit of time pass before thinking about it. Not worried in the slightest.

Greencore
22-02-2023, 08:28 AM
Appreciate the post and we are all thinking it, but just too soon, well for me anyway.

Dmas
22-02-2023, 08:40 AM
I was actually considering the same this morning, I’m a bit like you with the suprise of how Ron’s passing has effected me, I think for a foreign owner someone who had no previous links you really felt the club was safe with Ron think it’s only natural now a supporters thoughts turn to the ‘what now’ but posters above are maybe right about being too soon, be more than a few strong opinions I’d bet and it’s not the right time for that

Blaster
22-02-2023, 08:51 AM
Some valid questions in the original post but probably 2 weeks too early for this discussion

Hibbyradge
22-02-2023, 08:52 AM
It's too soon to be discussing this.

No doubt contingencies will will be/have been put in place, and a statement from Hibs will be made at the appropriate time, so I think we should just wait before wildly speculating about the future.

Since452
22-02-2023, 08:53 AM
Admins feel free to delete the thread. Probably is too early. Cheers.

OldEast
22-02-2023, 08:54 AM
You're fine it's not to soon to have these thoughts. Far too early to get any answers though.

Bostonhibby
22-02-2023, 09:00 AM
No problem with this thread for me, it's just a matter of timing, there's hopefully still an AGM coming soon and that will surely see some of our concerns addressed.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

tamig
22-02-2023, 09:03 AM
Ron mentioned specifically in his statement a few weeks back of his family’s ongoing commitment to the club. With the benefit of hindsight, I think that was a clear message to us that things will be ok.

Pretty Boy
22-02-2023, 09:04 AM
I was a critic of aspects of his stewardship of the club but was always keen to stress I never believed he had any nefarious intent. He seemed a genuine guy who was doing his best and leading the club in a way that he clearly believed to be for the best. As such I don't think we have much to worry about, his affection for the club was clear and he'll have made sure we are left in good hands.

I take the point when people say it is too soon but Hibs are an important part of all our lives, as was also evidently the case for Ron Gordon, so it's natural to be concerned about what happens next. I'm sure there will be clarity in the coming days and weeks and I'm sure discussion will remains respectful and won't veer off into outlandish speculation.

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2023, 09:09 AM
Things will become a little clearer in the coming days and weeks, it is a little early for the discussion though, but people will rightly be worried.

My own thoughts are that Ron wanted the best for us, and will want that to carry on.

Rest in peace Ron, you were a good man.

MrSmith
22-02-2023, 09:31 AM
I was thinking similar last night too. I think this is a relevant thread that will become more pertinent as time passes. Maybe we should consider naming a stand or something after Ron?

Since452
22-02-2023, 09:31 AM
Thinking more about it and although yesterday was a huge shock to us all, it probably wasn't to people closer to Ron and i include people at Hibs in that. I'm sure things are already in place. He's laid some fantastic foundations off the park anyway that can never be in doubt.

Oscar T Grouch
22-02-2023, 09:32 AM
Ron mentioned specifically in his statement a few weeks back of his family’s ongoing commitment to the club. With the benefit of hindsight, I think that was a clear message to us that things will be ok.

:agree: I remember the statement being released and I thought, initially of course what a shame, I hope he beats it,. I also thought that as he was telling us he'd been fighting cancer for a year that the prognosis was good. With hindsight like you say it has become clear his message was that he knew the prognosis then and he wanted to let us know and not be worried about our club. That is a true testament to the mans character, that at such a devastating time for him and his family he took time to let us all know Hibs will be in safe hands going forward.

Since452
22-02-2023, 09:35 AM
:agree: I remember the statement being released and I thought, initially of course what a shame, I hope he beats it,. I also thought that as he was telling us he'd been fighting cancer for a year that the prognosis was good. With hindsight like you say it has become clear his message was that he knew the prognosis then and he wanted to let us know and not be worried about our club. That is a true testament to the mans character, that at such a devastating time for him and his family he took time to let us all know Hibs will be in safe hands going forward.

Yes. Very touching actually.

jacomo
22-02-2023, 09:49 AM
I was a critic of aspects of his stewardship of the club but was always keen to stress I never believed he had any nefarious intent. He seemed a genuine guy who was doing his best and leading the club in a way that he clearly believed to be for the best. As such I don't think we have much to worry about, his affection for the club was clear and he'll have made sure we are left in good hands.

I take the point when people say it is too soon but Hibs are an important part of all our lives, as was also evidently the case for Ron Gordon, so it's natural to be concerned about what happens next. I'm sure there will be clarity in the coming days and weeks and I'm sure discussion will remains respectful and won't veer off into outlandish speculation.

Some criticism of Ron and his family was well over the top. I think and hope that the very sad news of his passing has given many pause for thought.

I appreciate the continued commitment of the Gordon family but clearly their ownership was driven by one man. At the very least, Ian will now need to step into the limelight at some point (obviously he should be allowed some time to do this) and outline the future for us.

Greenworld
22-02-2023, 10:13 AM
Ron Gordon was meticulous in his dealings with STF and set out a 5 year plan and was sticking to it . He also was upright and truthfull saying the club is always up for sale to the right people . I would guess that work behind the scenes has been taking place and it would not suprise me in the least if an agreement has already been made with someone or a group to take over Hibs. That could still forefill the the family commitment to hibs going forward.
I met him a couple of times his enthuesasim was infectious a very driven person who wouldn't suffer fools .
I really liked the man and very saddned like all others. I dont have worries though as even in death I trust Ron to have planned the best things for Hibs.
RIP Ron

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

J-C
22-02-2023, 10:21 AM
I don't know what his thoughts were on this, it might be Ian takes over his mantle and carries with the vision they had, or possibly a buyer was sought knowing the level of his disease.

Hibernian Verse
22-02-2023, 10:24 AM
I don't know what his thoughts were on this, it might be Ian takes over his mantle and carries with the vision they had, or possibly a buyer was sought knowing the level of his disease.

I wonder what Ian thinks about the general support after all the abuse he has taken. If I was him, I'd be thinking to hell with you all - if it wasn't for the chance to carry on his father's legacy.

Lago
22-02-2023, 10:33 AM

Will let a bit of time pass before thinking about it. Not worried in the slightest.
Well said my thoughts exactly.

JimBHibees
22-02-2023, 10:37 AM

Totally agree

Forza Fred
22-02-2023, 10:58 AM
TBF the question has probably popped up in all our minds, despite the sad circumstances.

I think though, that it is too early to possibly debate likely outcomes, and I’m sure the AGM next month will reveal the plans for the future.

I’m comfortable to wait until then.

NAE NOOKIE
22-02-2023, 10:59 AM
The thread really just reflects what we are all thinking this morning. Ron Gordon, may he rest in peace, was clearly driven and passionate about Hibs and what he wanted to achieve at Easter Road. It's not unreasonable even at this early stage to speculate on whether that drive and passion surrounding what had been a long held personal ambition of his is genuinely shared by the rest of his family.

We had always wondered if when the time came whether STF's family would want to carry on at Hibs and clearly they did not. You have to have a thick skin to own a football club and Ian Gordon will know why by now if he has paid any attention to comments over our recruitment policy on this site and elsewhere over the last few months, the comments aimed at him were far more personal than anything ever aimed at his late father.

It may be that Ian and the rest of the family will be determined to carry on and build the legacy Ron had wanted to create here, but if that is not the case then due diligence in finding the club as passionate and honourable a new owner as Ron Gordon was, no easy task, will be a more than acceptable way for them to be able to leave Hibs with our best wishes.

overdrive
22-02-2023, 11:07 AM
I didn't realise that Ron's wife was on the Community Foundation board. Hopefully, with his wife and at least one of his sons taking roles at the club that they are invested (in the non-financial sense) in the club going forward.

bingo70
22-02-2023, 11:27 AM
Well done to the OP for articulating what a lot of us will be thinking in such a sensitive way. I don’t disagree with the sentiments that it is too early to be considering that what nexts however, we are all human, and it’s only natural to have a curiosity as to how things will affect us.

I don’t have any concerns that the Gordon’s will continue to look after the club. Looking at it from a cold business perspective, it’s still an important asset worth a lot of money to them so it’s in their interests for it to be continued to be run well, or sold. It can’t make money for them any other way.

On a human level, I think it’s also clear that Ian Gordon will have bought into his dads vision, if he hadn’t, I’m sure he wouldn’t have been as involved as he has been.

FWIW, my gut feeling is that I agree with a previous poster who suggested that continuing RG’s vision may not necessarily mean it being kept on by the family. I suspect we would be open to a buyer who can drive the club forward and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if work has been going on in the background for the last few months to facilitate that.

I am sure the people at the club will rally round the Gordon family and there will continue to be a good relationship there for however long they want it.

chrisski33
22-02-2023, 12:39 PM
Way too soon to discuss this esp for the Gordon family to think about it ffs

bingo70
22-02-2023, 12:43 PM
What does the ownership of Hibs look like?

What is the name of the company that was used to buy Hibs and is that company still going or was that purely for the purposes of the initial purchase?

What % of the the club is owned by this company and who owns the rest?

Since452
22-02-2023, 12:47 PM
Well done to the OP for articulating what a lot of us will be thinking in such a sensitive way. I don’t disagree with the sentiments that it is too early to be considering that what nexts however, we are all human, and it’s only natural to have a curiosity as to how things will affect us.

I don’t have any concerns that the Gordon’s will continue to look after the club. Looking at it from a cold business perspective, it’s still an important asset worth a lot of money to them so it’s in their interests for it to be continued to be run well, or sold. It can’t make money for them any other way.

On a human level, I think it’s also clear that Ian Gordon will have bought into his dads vision, if he hadn’t, I’m sure he wouldn’t have been as involved as he has been.

FWIW, my gut feeling is that I agree with a previous poster who suggested that continuing RG’s vision may not necessarily mean it being kept on by the family. I suspect we would be open to a buyer who can drive the club forward and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if work has been going on in the background for the last few months to facilitate that.

I am sure the people at the club will rally round the Gordon family and there will continue to be a good relationship there for however long they want it.

Thanks, appreciate that. As the owner of the club i think Ron would fully understand us wondering. As somebody else mentioned, his message a few weeks ago now looks as if it was his way of telling us not to worry. Ah, just really sad.

NAE NOOKIE
22-02-2023, 01:12 PM

Nobody on here is suggesting the Gordon family put thoughts of Hibs front and centre at this time mate, that would indeed be disrespectful. Why it should be a closed subject to the wider Hibs support defeats me because unless I've missed something even as I type the players will have been at training this morning preparing for our next match and the business of the club will go on as usual.

Northernhibee
22-02-2023, 01:15 PM
If, after reflection, running a football club isn’t what the Gordon family want to do then I think we absolutely have to respect that and vice versa. The instability that this causes is completely outweighed by the tragedy of the loss of a life.

Nakedmanoncrack
22-02-2023, 01:24 PM
Those of us with justified concerns for the direction of the club, can only feel more concerned following the sad passing of Ron Gordon. In fact, where we go after Ron was always one of my main concerns, tragically it has happened sooner than might have been expected. Though it's been a bumpy ride, few, if any have doubted RG's ambition & intentions for the club, those who inherit his share holding will have a lot of work to do to earn the same trust.

Allant1981
22-02-2023, 02:18 PM

Not really, unless anyone here is close to the family then why not discuss it, we are supporters of the club

OldEast
22-02-2023, 02:23 PM

It really isn't

J-C
22-02-2023, 03:03 PM
Tom Farmer sold the club to to Ron knowing that his health was going down hill and none of his family were interested in carrying it on. As yet we don't know the intention of the Gordon family, so obviously there will be speculation, I'm sure Ron would've been well on top of things knowing how his health was, we wait and see.

WhileTheChief..
22-02-2023, 03:32 PM
It really isn't

Personally, and I'm talking about deaths of friends or family in the past, it would be after the funeral before anyone would really start to think about the future.

That's only my view, and I'm not having a go at anyone that wants to discuss it now, but for me, it can wait.

As for players training or whatever, I really couldn't care about our next game. Still trying to take the news in. I just hope we pay a great tribute to RG.

The Baldmans Comb
22-02-2023, 03:32 PM
Short term things will carry on exactly as Mr Gordon would have wanted but this was his baby and in the medium term I would expect the club to be sold and this time around their is no guarantees.

The Farmer family sheltered the club ownership from the worst excesses of the market place but the Gordon's won't have this albatross around their neck and the future is very uncertain as football ownership can mean just about anything.

Diclonius
22-02-2023, 04:04 PM
If the family want to sell, it's completely understandable.

Conversely, I wouldn't be surprised if Ian takes over. He's clearly wanted to be involved from the beginning.

A Hi-Bee
22-02-2023, 05:14 PM
Nice from the EEN for a change, pretty much sums up my thoughts.

"It’s been a rollercoaster ride for Hibs fans in the three and a half years since. A rollercoaster ride for Gordon too, but one that, sadly, he had not finished. His family has committed to carrying forward his vision for Hibs. How they plan to do so is a topic for another day. For now, the Gordons, his wife Kit and sons Colin and Ian, are mourning the loss of a husband and father. Everyone connected with Hibs is mourning the loss of a gentleman who cared deeply about the club and the game."

Hibees1973
22-02-2023, 05:35 PM
Ron eluded to the fact last month he was fighting cancer for over a year.

The Tom English piece about Ron on the BBC website today was sensitively written and gave a little bit more insight into Ron's character and business acumen.

What I think is Ron obviously had a lot of business sense and I expect will have would have put a lot of thought over the last year into how he wanted Hibs to be run in his absence. Whether that is to sell or someone else to take over we will all find out in due course. In his statement last month he admitted to some mistakes. After a suitable amount of time has passed I expect a statement will come from Hibs which will communicate Ron's wishes and strategy for Hibs in the future.

Callum_62
22-02-2023, 05:36 PM
Tom Farmer sold the club to to Ron knowing that his health was going down hill and none of his family were interested in carrying it on. As yet we don't know the intention of the Gordon family, so obviously there will be speculation, I'm sure Ron would've been well on top of things knowing how his health was, we wait and see.Sounds a bit fanciful about his health tbf

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

DIXIHIBS
22-02-2023, 05:39 PM
Tom Farmer sold the club to to Ron knowing that his health was going down hill and none of his family were interested in carrying it on. As yet we don't know the intention of the Gordon family, so obviously there will be speculation, I'm sure Ron would've been well on top of things knowing how his health was, we wait and see.

How do you know this?

McD
22-02-2023, 05:54 PM

The Tom English piece about Ron on the BBC website today was sensitively written and gave a little bit more insight into Ron's character and business acumen.

What I think is Ron obviously had a lot of business sense and I expect will have would have put a lot of thought over the last year into how he wanted Hibs to be run in his absence. Whether that is to sell or someone else to take over we will all find out in due course. In his statement last month he admitted to some mistakes. After a suitable amount of time has passed I expect a statement will come from Hibs which will communicate Ron's wishes and strategy for Hibs in the future.

I don’t generally have a lot of time for tom English, but it’s a well written and sensitive piece, showing from Tom’s perspective that he thought a lot of RG and described him as well beyond a typical owner, thoughtful and reflective, and willing to recognise his own mistakes, whilst also being driven and willing to push for change that would have benefits beyond Hibs.

I think we’re seeing just how much of an impact Ron had beyond our club, with fans, authorities and counterparts, and a thoroughly decent man.

I'm sure we’ll hear in (soon) due course about what the next steps, short and medium term will be for the club. He’s never struck me as someone who was lax in how he did things, I think he will have had a plan for the club and his other business assets.

Willis1875
22-02-2023, 05:56 PM
How do you know this?

I read it as he’s referring to Sir Toms health not Ron’s

Hibbyradge
22-02-2023, 05:58 PM

:agree:

Stubbsy90+2
22-02-2023, 05:58 PM

Likewise. Having read plenty of JCs posts I’ve no doubt that’s what they meant and there’s no rumour being started by them.

22-02-2023, 06:27 PM

Here is the full article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64725160

DIXIHIBS
22-02-2023, 06:37 PM

Ah apologies.

Eyrie
22-02-2023, 07:00 PM
A successful businessman like Ron Gordon will have had plans in place, particularly given his health.

We'll find out in due course but the one thing we do already know is that he will have had our club's best interests as his guiding principle.

J-C
22-02-2023, 07:08 PM

Exactly, I think Ron has known for a while what was happening re his own health, Sir Tom's is 82 now and the last time I had him in the taxi he looked quite frail and certainly wasn't as sharp as he usually is (rumours of alzheimers), that was about 3 years ago. As I said Sir Tom knew it was time to move on as family were not interested in football and Petrie was also wanting to move on in the SFA.

Time will tell what the next steps are, the club carries on as normal till then.

ancient hibee
22-02-2023, 09:12 PM
Imagine the AGM will be used to indicate what's to happen.

NAE NOOKIE
23-02-2023, 12:35 AM
Short term things will carry on exactly as Mr Gordon would have wanted but this was his baby and in the medium term I would expect the club to be sold and this time around their is no guarantees.

The Farmer family sheltered the club ownership from the worst excesses of the market place but the Gordon's won't have this albatross around their neck and the future is very uncertain as football ownership can mean just about anything.

What you say may be the outcome, though that very much remains to be seen. What I would say is that if the Gordon family do decide to sell, which is entirely their right, I for one would be very surprised if that process was entered into with anything other than due diligence and with the best interests of the club at heart.

The desire to own a club was Ron's passion and if his surviving family are not enthusiastic to take over the reins that would be perfectly understandable, but I simply couldn't see them selling to the first person or entity prepared to meet their price without first making sure their goal wasn't to asset strip the club and turn the stadium into a supermarket or flats .... I couldn't imagine a worse way to besmirch Ron's memory and if they are anything like a reflection of him I just couldn't see that happening.

FWIW I have a feeling in my gut that barring any factors that might make it impossible for him Ian Gordon may well want to continue with his dad's project. Mind you, that might throw up a whole new set of questions. Interesting times.

Bobby's Cinema
23-02-2023, 05:46 AM
Well said

Since452
23-02-2023, 09:35 AM
Ron was an astute, highly competent and successful businessman with an unbelievable track record of achievement who had built up decades of experience and respect. We've lost that overnight. Combine that with his passion and love of Hibs and his drive to make us successful, I don't think it can be understated what a colossal blow it is to us.

I think, because of Ron's excellent work, we're a far more attractive proposition to any potential buyers/investors than we were when he took over. It would be fantastic if the Gordons continued to grow the club as Ron wanted to do but Ron Gordon had the clout and respect and drive to make things happen.

After the mourning period has passed for everyone involved, especially Ron's family, i'm looking forward to hearing more information from the club about what we can expect going forward.

It's a very sensitive time and i completely respect that but the supporters will want to have their fears and concerns addressed at some point. I think the club have handled this really sad time with class and dignity so we will hear from them when the time is right. GGTTH.

bingo70
23-02-2023, 10:22 AM
Ron was an astute, highly competent and successful businessman with an unbelievable track record of achievement who had built up decades of experience and respect. We've lost that overnight. Combine that with his passion and love of Hibs and his drive to make us successful, I don't think it can be understated what a colossal blow it is to us.

I think, because of Ron's excellent work, we're a far more attractive proposition to any potential buyers/investors than we were when he took over. It would be fantastic if the Gordons continued to grow the club as Ron wanted to do but Ron Gordon had the clout and respect and drive to make things happen.

After the mourning period has passed for everyone involved, especially Ron's family, i'm looking forward to hearing more information from the club about what we can expect going forward.

It's a very sensitive time and i completely respect that but the supporters will want to have their fears and concerns addressed at some point. I think the club have handled this really sad time with class and dignity so we will hear from them when the time is right. GGTTH.

I don’t think we will hear anything until the AGM.

I think they said that would be early March, is there a 14 day notice period the club have to provide for this?

Hibernian Verse
23-02-2023, 10:32 AM

I think they said that would be early March, is there a 14 day notice period the club have to provide for this?

It's in 2 weeks I think?

hibee-boys
23-02-2023, 11:18 AM
I could be wrong, but I suspect that the search for a DOF could well be some form of succession planning knowing, unfortunately, how grave the outlook was for Ron. I never understood some of the negative comments aimed at his stewardship, it’s very rare for a club to have an owner whose passion for the club is matched by his obvious business acumen. Irrespective of what happens from here, and even though his involvement with the club was relatively short, he has left a lasting legacy in a more successful commercial entity, upgraded hospitality and modernised stadium. It’s just a pity that we did not deliver on the pitch as successfully as he would’ve hoped for. However, he’s laid the foundation for our club to push forward and transfer the successful off the pitch performance onto the park. RIP Ron Gordon.

greenlex
23-02-2023, 05:14 PM
I could be wrong, but I suspect that the search for a DOF could well be some form of succession planning knowing, unfortunately, how grave the outlook was for Ron. I never understood some of the negative comments aimed at his stewardship, it’s very rare for a club to have an owner whose passion for the club is matched by his obvious business acumen. Irrespective of what happens from here, and even though his involvement with the club was relatively short, he has left a lasting legacy in a more successful commercial entity, upgraded hospitality and modernised stadium. It’s just a pity that we did not deliver on the pitch as successfully as he would’ve hoped for. However, he’s laid the foundation for our club to push forward and transfer the successful off the pitch performance onto the park. RIP Ron Gordon.
You are not wrong.

Since452
24-02-2023, 09:04 AM
You are not wrong.

Interesting...

Ronniekirk
24-02-2023, 09:32 AM
Did Kenswell in his statement not make it clear that there would be an AGM in March and thsts when the club would be discussing what may happen going forward
That’s not that far away and assume if they have anything to share on the matter before then thete will be an official statement

bingo70
24-02-2023, 09:37 AM
Did Kenswell in his statement not make it clear that there would be an AGM in March and thsts when the club would be discussing what may happen going forward
That’s not that far away and assume if they have anything to share on the matter before then thete will be an official statement

Yeah, he said early March.

That’s clearly a very reasonable time scale and probably quicker than I was expecting given the circumstances. Still pretty normally for fans to discuss what the options may be for the club though I think.

Has there been any indication as to when the funeral will take place? I know in some countries it happens a lot quicker than others, I wasn’t sure about the States though.

CropleyWasGod
24-02-2023, 09:40 AM

14 days is the statutory period, unless the company's Articles of Association state a longer period.

From memory, we use the 14 days, but I'm not 100% on that.

It wouldn't surprise me if we postponed it.

bingo70
24-02-2023, 09:42 AM
14 days is the statutory period, unless the company's Articles of Association state a longer period.

From memory, we use the 14 days, but I'm not 100% on that.

It wouldn't surprise me if we postponed it.

There isn’t a date for it set just now is there?

CropleyWasGod
24-02-2023, 09:43 AM
There isn’t a date for it set just now is there?

No.

So the earliest it could be would be 10th March.

J-C
24-02-2023, 10:05 AM
Yeah, he said early March.

That’s clearly a very reasonable time scale and probably quicker than I was expecting given the circumstances. Still pretty normally for fans to discuss what the options may be for the club though I think.

Has there been any indication as to when the funeral will take place? I know in some countries it happens a lot quicker than others, I wasn’t sure about the States though.

There'll be no need for an autopsy knowning what he was dying of, I'd assume sometime next week.

NAE NOOKIE
24-02-2023, 12:35 PM
Just had a thought ... it's just random musing so don't shoot me :greengrin

Is it possible that this might lead to a resurrection of a drive towards fan ownership? Allegedly the asking price for the club would be 6 to 7 million quid and if the Gordon family did not want to continue running and owning the club in the long term, but have trouble sourcing a new owner, could they see selling the club to the fans as a viable alternative?

The original push for this was hampered by a tepid response which was not helped in any way by a few high profile figures casting doubt on the motives surrounding it and by a half hearted attempt at promoting it by the club. With a fresh start it could all be done very differently and far more successfully.

The obvious upside for the Gordon family would be that if selling to a single buyer turned into a car crash and the club was run into the ground they would long be remembered as the ones who caused it to happen. Whereas, if the club was sold to it's supporters and we made a dugs dinner out of running it we would have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Not a massive fan of the idea of majority fan ownership myself, but it's something that has to be on the table along with the other possible options.

Hibernian Verse
24-02-2023, 12:42 PM

Is it possible that this might lead to a resurrection of a drive towards fan ownership? Allegedly the asking price for the club would be 6 to 7 million quid and if the Gordon family did not want to continue running and owning the club in the long term, but have trouble sourcing a new owner, could they see selling the club to the fans as a viable alternative?

The original push for this was hampered by a tepid response which was not helped in any way by a few high profile figures casting doubt on the motives surrounding it and by a half hearted attempt at promoting it by the club. With a fresh start it could all be done very differently and far more successfully.

The obvious upside for the Gordon family would be that if selling to a single buyer turned into a car crash and the club was run into the ground they would long be remembered as the ones who caused it to happen. Whereas, if the club was sold to it's supporters and we made a dugs dinner out of running it we would have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Not a massive fan of the idea of majority fan ownership myself, but it's something that has to be on the table along with the other possible options.

Hibernian owned by the fans would be a disaster. We don't have a multi-millionaire benefactor and HSL wasn't overly successful.

If we want to continue driving forward we need someone, or a group..., to lead.

OldEast
24-02-2023, 01:20 PM

Hope not

Since452
24-02-2023, 01:22 PM
Hope not

Seconded. Fan ownership isn't for me.

NAE NOOKIE
24-02-2023, 01:29 PM

Nor me. But so long as it's a possibility, no matter how remote, it is open to debate.

IMO with fan bases as small as Scottish clubs have, with two odious exceptions, the chance of achieving real and sustained success with the backing of, using Hearts as an example, 8000 members is extremely remote.

You have to look at the worst case scenario and Hearts have yet to face that, but if history tells us anything they will eventually, and when you have to go to 8000 members looking to raise millions of pounds to simply balance the books and nothing more is when the true test of fan ownership comes ... its only a matter of time and that would be no different for us.

weecounty hibby
24-02-2023, 01:38 PM
Fan ownership isn't a good thing imo. Having share interest that protects the club is fine but actually being the outright owners isn't. I for one can't wait until Anderson stops his donations and Budge has walked away and then all the cardigan wearers start vying for position as chairman cos they have so much experience of being golf club secretary.

tamig
24-02-2023, 02:11 PM
Nor me. But so long as it's a possibility, no matter how remote, it is open to debate.

IMO with fan bases as small as Scottish clubs have, with two odious exceptions, the chance of achieving real and sustained success with the backing of, using Hearts as an example, 8000 members is extremely remote.

You have to look at the worst case scenario and Hearts have yet to face that, but if history tells us anything they will eventually, and when you have to go to 8000 members looking to raise millions of pounds to simply balance the books and nothing more is when the true test of fan ownership comes ... its only a matter of time and that would be no different for us.
Agreed. The big test for FOH will be when the free money from JA stops.

jacomo
24-02-2023, 03:37 PM

:agree:

Lago
24-02-2023, 06:17 PM
Hope not
Me too

bingo70
24-02-2023, 06:25 PM
Fan ownership isn't a good thing imo. Having share interest that protects the club is fine but actually being the outright owners isn't. I for one can't wait until Anderson stops his donations and Budge has walked away and then all the cardigan wearers start vying for position as chairman cos they have so much experience of being golf club secretary.

It’s also not a good time to ask people to start investing in Hibs.

I generally try and buy what I can from Hibs and I am a sucker for a marketing campaign but with the cost of living crisis, it would be hard to justify spending any more than I do already.

I’m guessing I’m not alone in that either.

Leith Green
24-02-2023, 08:35 PM
I think that the family of Ron Gordon will want take to the club forward and deliver on the ideas and hopes and ambitions that Ron had for the club. It would be a nice way to remember their father / husband and gives them a purpose and connection to him through the continued running of Hibernian. I definitely hope this is the way it pans out , although id be totally understanding and respectful of whatever decision they come to. Thoughts and prayers are with the Gordon family , such a sad thing to have to come to terms with 😞

BoyledEgg
24-02-2023, 09:48 PM
Did Ron have other business's?

RIP
24-02-2023, 10:29 PM
There's a wide spectrum of hybrid models of ownership that include supporter shareholders. Dortmund, Barca, Real Madrid and most of the clubs in Brazil and Argentina.
The Hibs Board has been made up of passionate fans almost every year of our history.
The suggestion that an increase of fan shares would lead to wee Jimmy fae the chippy running the club is comedy gold.
If down the road, the family seek a greater participation from the support, I hope that some of us would step forward.

J-C
24-02-2023, 10:34 PM
Did Ron have other business's?

Think he made his money in the media, Spanish speaking TV companies, ZGS Communications.

JimBHibees
25-02-2023, 09:11 AM
Think he made his money in the media, Spanish speaking TV companies, ZGS Communications.

Also banking.

Since452
25-02-2023, 09:16 AM
There will be an awful lot for the Gordon family to sort out in the coming weeks and months. I don't think it was only Hibs Ron owned. Might be wrong though, not sure if he sold the companies or not?

superfurryhibby
25-02-2023, 10:32 AM
There's a wide spectrum of hybrid models of ownership that include supporter shareholders. Dortmund, Barca, Real Madrid and most of the clubs in Brazil and Argentina.
The Hibs Board has been made up of passionate fans almost every year of our history.
The suggestion that an increase of fan shares would lead to wee Jimmy fae the chippy running the club is comedy gold.
If down the road, the family seek a greater participation from the support, I hope that some of us would step forward.

Good post.

The future for Hibs is to be self sustaining, generating money that ensures the club are competitive and financially secure. A fan owned club would have to be exactly that, the alternative is debt and vulnerability depending on the vagaries of ownership and their commitment.

I hope the Gordon family re-present the opportunity for fans to increase their share in the club. I feel that the uptake would be greater now than the share purchase uptake under STF (which people underestimate in terms of buy in).

jacomo
25-02-2023, 11:32 AM

Ron was personally dead against fan ownership - one of the first things he did was to stop fans from acquiring more shares. He wanted to call the shots.

If his family are in it for the long term then it’s likely they will follow his lead on this. They already have near 70% of the shares which gives them control, they may even want to increase their stake.

Just Alf
25-02-2023, 01:37 PM
Ron was personally dead against fan ownership - one of the first things he did was to stop fans from acquiring more shares. He wanted to call the shots.

If his family are in it for the long term then it’s likely they will follow his lead on this. They already have near 70% of the shares which gives them control, they may even want to increase their stake.My biggest regret with HSL is that it never quite got to its target of 20.01% shares (or whatever the exact number was) which was enough to stop a hostile takeover or an "owner" selling Easter Road etc but would still let someone "own" the club.

MWHIBBIES
25-02-2023, 02:00 PM
My biggest regret with HSL is that it never quite got to its target of 20.01% shares (or whatever the exact number was) which was enough to stop a hostile takeover or an "owner" selling Easter Road etc but would still let someone "own" the club.

Got those ********s who were publicly against it to blame there. Paul Kane one of them iirc?

jacomo
25-02-2023, 02:02 PM
My biggest regret with HSL is that it never quite got to its target of 20.01% shares (or whatever the exact number was) which was enough to stop a hostile takeover or an "owner" selling Easter Road etc but would still let someone "own" the club.

Yeah I agree.

It was an amazing opportunity and act of generosity by STF, undone (partly) by mouthy idiots who didn’t see it for what it was and in some cases had a personal vendetta against our then owner.

jacomo
25-02-2023, 02:03 PM
Got those ********s who were publicly against it to blame there. Paul Kane one of them iirc?

Also Simon Pia.

Borrowing this, but he really is a stupid person’s idea of what a clever person looks like.

LaMotta
25-02-2023, 02:29 PM
Also Simon Pia.

Borrowing this, but he really is a stupid person’s idea of what a clever person looks like.

:agree: Simon Pia is also utterly clueless about what happens on the pitch as well. Terrible judge of a footballer. Some of his tweets about Hibs over the years have been absolutely laughable.

CockneyRebel
25-02-2023, 02:36 PM
Thirded.
I would have liked to see HSL get the 20% or so needed to prevent asset stripping/ground sale. That would do for me.

CropleyWasGod
25-02-2023, 02:52 PM
My take on the 25% question.

A Special Resolution is required for certain decisions, such as winding the company up, and any others defined by the company. A SR needs a 75% vote in favour.

I can't see anything in the company's Memorandum & Articles of Association that requires a SR , such as selling ER.

In summary:-

1. as majority shareholders, Ron's successors could sell ER if they want.

2. in order to wind the company up , a SR would be required. They don't have the power to achieve that on their own, as they have only 67% of the shares. They would need the support of some of the non-HSL shareholders.

NAE NOOKIE
25-02-2023, 02:55 PM
Yeah I agree.

It was an amazing opportunity and act of generosity by STF, undone (partly) by mouthy idiots who didn’t see it for what it was and in some cases had a personal vendetta against our then owner.

Totally agree. The fact that they helped prevent any chance of overall fan ownership is neither here nor there to me, as I've said it's not something I want.

But the real damage they caused was also being partly responsible for a failure to get enough of the club into supporters hands to give us the ability to prevent any owner coming along and asset stripping the it .... and for that they should be ashamed to call themselves Hibs fans, no matter who they are.

Eyrie
25-02-2023, 03:31 PM

A Special Resolution is required for certain decisions, such as winding the company up, and any others defined by the company. A SR needs a 75% vote in favour.

I can't see anything in the company's Memorandum & Articles of Association that requires a SR , such as selling ER.

2. in order to wind the company up , a SR would be required. They don't have the power to achieve that on their own, as they have only 67% of the shares. They would need the support of some of the non-HSL shareholders.

Does a special resolution need 75% of the shares or of the votes? The latter would be easier to achieve if some shareholders don't vote.

CropleyWasGod
25-02-2023, 03:34 PM
Does a special resolution need 75% of the shares or of the votes? The latter would be easier to achieve if some shareholders don't vote.

It's votes.

jacomo
25-02-2023, 03:50 PM

Also, the fanbase would go totally radge, which acts as a kind of deterrent against any skulduggery.

CropleyWasGod
25-02-2023, 03:56 PM
Also, the fanbase would go totally radge, which acts as a kind of deterrent against any skulduggery.

Some of that "fanbase" are nominee shareholders with large holdings. Most of those are anonymous, and we can't know their intentions. They may be benign, but they also might be carpetbaggers who would do well in a sell-off.

jacomo
25-02-2023, 04:22 PM
Some of that "fanbase" are nominee shareholders with large holdings. Most of those are anonymous, and we can't know their intentions. They may be benign, but they also might be carpetbaggers who would do well in a sell-off.

Indeed. There are a few anonymous folk with significant stakes in the club.

WestCoastHibby
26-02-2023, 06:09 AM
It’s not too soon to be discussed at all.
Tragic though it was, Ron’s passing is not a sudden death and plans will hopefully have been put in place.
I’m just going to say it, I hope those who gave the guy absolutely pelters (and I’ve been critical too) have a good look at themselves.

Pretty Boy
26-02-2023, 07:10 AM

I've always had a suspicion in that regard that STF hasn't totally left the building.

Not sure on the legalities of that but I think there was discussion at the time that some of the nominee holdings may well have been his insurance policy so to speak.

greenginger
26-02-2023, 07:39 AM

Is there any information available on these “ trusts “ that hold the shares.

Lawyers who set them up , registration address or any info. Take it the Club must know where to send the annual accounts .

CropleyWasGod
26-02-2023, 09:05 AM
Is there any information available on these “ trusts “ that hold the shares.

Lawyers who set them up , registration address or any info. Take it the Club must know where to send the annual accounts .

None that I can see. Just names.

There's not even any indication as to whether they are trusts, although they may be.

As an example, on the first page of the shareholders' list on the latest Confirmation Statement (in December).... and there are almost 30 pages...
we have Almond Investments with 625,000 shares and Arthur Seat Nominees with 250,000.

Someone with more time on their hands (hint :greengrin) mighr want to list them, and do the work to connect them..... :cb

CropleyWasGod
26-02-2023, 09:06 AM
I've always had a suspicion in that regard that STF hasn't totally left the building.

Not sure on the legalities of that but I think there was discussion at the time that some of the nominee holdings may well have been his insurance policy so to speak.

He has form for that kind of thing.

The ticket office was always kept out of the club's ownership, and in his own companies, to guard against any possible asset-stripping.

Billy Whizz
26-02-2023, 09:26 AM
He has form for that kind of thing.

The ticket office was always kept out of the club's ownership, and in his own companies, to guard against any possible asset-stripping.

Does he still own the TO building

CropleyWasGod
26-02-2023, 09:42 AM
Does he still own the TO building

Don't think so. It looks like that was transferred to the club in July 19 when RG took over.

Baldy Foghorn
26-02-2023, 10:21 AM
Tragic though it was, Ron’s passing is not a sudden death and plans will hopefully have been put in place.
I’m just going to say it, I hope those who gave the guy absolutely pelters (and I’ve been critical too) have a good look at themselves.

Hindsight is wonderful. Nobody knee RG was dying. The club was not doing well, and questions were asked. If people had known the circumstances, then I'm sure there would've been less "pelters"

ErinGoBraghHFC
26-02-2023, 10:38 AM

Why? I didn’t even know he was unwell when I questioned whether his ownership was right for the club, I didn’t mean any malice by it and I’m sure no one else did either. I think given the circumstances at the time that met the eye, we were entitled to ask that question, now we know more maybe not so much. I’m no going to crucify myself for being a bit hard on him when I didn’t know he was sick, especially now I’ve expressed sympathy for him and his family since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overdrive
26-02-2023, 11:00 AM
Why? I didn’t even know he was unwell when I questioned whether his ownership was right for the club, I didn’t mean any malice by it and I’m sure no one else did either. I think given the circumstances at the time that met the eye, we were entitled to ask that question, now we know more maybe not so much. I’m no going to crucify myself for being a bit hard on him when I didn’t know he was sick, especially now I’ve expressed sympathy for him and his family since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Otherwise anyone would beyond any criticism on the off chance they are ill or about to die.

NAE NOOKIE
26-02-2023, 11:14 AM

Which is fine in theory, but as another poster has alluded to there's an extra dimension that has to be factored in when it comes to football and that's the fans .... it was a mistake Wallace Mercer made .... Mercer was local so he was easy to target. the Gordons aren't and would be safe in America, but whoever was stupid enough to buy it wouldn't be :greengrin

Lago
26-02-2023, 12:08 PM
Which is fine in theory, but as another poster has alluded to there's an extra dimension that has to be factored in when it comes to football and that's the fans .... it was a mistake Wallace Mercer made .... Mercer was local so he was easy to target. the Gordons aren't and would be safe in America, but whoever was stupid enough to buy it wouldn't be :greengrin
And what would expect to happen?

jacomo
26-02-2023, 08:26 PM
Hindsight is wonderful. Nobody knee RG was dying. The club was not doing well, and questions were asked. If people had known the circumstances, then I'm sure there would've been less "pelters"

Fans are entitled to ask questions. Don’t use this as cover for some of the abuse from so called Hibs supporters.

NAE NOOKIE
26-02-2023, 10:34 PM
And what would expect to happen?

Who knows mate ... If the ground was sold in order to build a 22,000 capacity orgasmadrome on Leith links then I doubt folk would be bothered. If it was sold simply for profit with a view to winding the club up, or selling simply the team with no stadium to play in don't you think there would be some sort of negative reaction that would go beyond just bitching on social media?

Jack
27-02-2023, 08:53 AM
I assume there are no plans for Scotland to follow the English route of an independent regulator to help prevent a repeat of financial failings seen at various clubs over the past wee while? While giving fans a bit of clout as to what happens at their club.

bingo70
27-02-2023, 02:23 PM
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/a-message-from-the-gordon-family

Posted elsewhere but probably relevant for this thread too.

Some really nice and reassuring words from the family there.

A Hi-Bee
27-02-2023, 02:32 PM
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/a-message-from-the-gordon-family

Posted elsewhere but probably relevant for this thread too.

Some really nice and reassuring words from the family there.

Wonderful words, I hope that this will also put an end to some of the daft speculation, we have seen posted. His legacy will endure of that I am sure.
GGTTH

Baldy Foghorn
28-02-2023, 05:06 PM
Fans are entitled to ask questions. Don’t use this as cover for some of the abuse from so called Hibs supporters.

:confused::confused:

jacomo
28-02-2023, 05:13 PM
:confused::confused:

Come on don’t feign ignorance.

Abuse directed at Ian Gordon and folk on social media saying things like ‘get out of our club’ after a defeat.

There’s constructive criticism and then there is just dick behaviour.

Keepthefaith
28-02-2023, 05:36 PM

Abuse directed at Ian Gordon and folk on social media saying things like ‘get out of our club’ after a defeat.

exactly this - its not that Ron was beyond critique (the guy was actually quite humble and able to admit to getting things wrong) but more that folk slated him in a way which was downright disrespectful and in my view, knee-jerk and generalised. statements like "rotten from top to bottom" and insinuations that he was out to line his own pocket based on him not being physically present over the last year were just so wrong. folk hid behind the safety of their keyboard and said whatever the hell they liked without any thought that there might be another reason he wasn't as present. at no point did he show anything other than a genuine passion to make our wonderful club better.

so yeah, folk should take a look at themselves and learn from this - be critical for sure, but make it balanced and respectful. I'm delighted the family have seen enough in the club and the fan base to see through his vision - maybe if we can all pull together and keep supporting even when not winning we can go on to greater things

:thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
28-02-2023, 05:53 PM
What happened to the poster who refused to use Ian Gordon's name and wanted people to stop using the term "hertz"?

Baldy Foghorn
28-02-2023, 05:54 PM

Not feigning ignorance, I don't do a lot of social media, so only saw things on here.

Get the point now though.

MWHIBBIES
28-02-2023, 06:19 PM
I'm a bit worried if his family are taking over tbh. I'm not sure enthusiasm is enough.

Since452
28-02-2023, 06:25 PM
I'm a bit worried if his family are taking over tbh. I'm not sure enthusiasm is enough.

Suppose you've got to take them at face value and they've said they will see Ron's vision through. They deserve a chance. Hibs were most definitely Ron's baby so I do share the same concern but we'll just need to see how it goes.

Greencore
28-02-2023, 06:27 PM

Let them take over and show interest and attend games and speak to fans and plough money into the club from top to bottom. Don't see an issue unless they pull a mad Vlad and start picking the team and want us to play in kilts????

MWHIBBIES
28-02-2023, 06:29 PM
Suppose you've got to take them at face value and they've said they will see Ron's vision through. They deserve a chance. Hibs were most definitely Ron's baby so I do share the same concern but we'll just need to see how it goes.

I'll be honest, I was not totally confident in Ron's ability or knowledge to get a successful team on the pitch. I'm even less so in his family.

They deserve a chance, maybe, but they must learn from mistakes made in the last 3 years if it's going to work.

jacomo
28-02-2023, 06:34 PM
I'll be honest, I was not totally confident in Ron's ability or knowledge to get a successful team on the pitch. I'm even less so in his family.

They deserve a chance, maybe, but they must learn from mistakes made in the last 3 years if it's going to work.

Yes absolutely but it’s not so different from any other business. They need to appoint the right people and support them to make the right decisions.

WeeRussell
28-02-2023, 06:35 PM

I don’t think successful teams tend to be bred by owners with great footballing knowledge these days. More their deep/generous pockets.

He had clear ability as a business man.

Since452
28-02-2023, 06:43 PM
It's Ron's clear business acumen and track record of success that we've lost overnight which worries me. The Gordon's will have deep pockets as they've inherited Ron's fortune but Ron had built that because he was a clever cookie over many decades. As one of the posts above says, we need to get the right people in the right positions and then the Gordon's investment will be put to good use.

Islington Hibs
28-02-2023, 07:42 PM
Firstly, I am genuinely saddened than our Chairman has passed away. I never met him but from those that did I think we were very lucky to have him. He seemed a sincere, successful and committed individual. I would say a rare gentleman with a business edge.

Secondly, the economics of football get more crazy by the day. In Scotland Celtic had revenues of £70m for the half year. If we want any success fan ownership, or even ownership by the butcher, baker or candlestick-maker is for yesterday. The game has gone multi-million plus. I think that a shame but forget fan ownership other than, as a minor adjunct to income. Hibernian need a wise benevolent owner. These guys do not grow on trees.

Should Ron's family wish to continue and I very much hope they do lets give them proper support. In general we have - crowds remain strong, but please its easy to criticise but to do so without an alternative is simply destructive. Let's get behind the Gordon's and give them every chance.

NAE NOOKIE
28-02-2023, 11:31 PM
Yes absolutely but it’s not so different from any other business. They need to appoint the right people and support them to make the right decisions.

Pretty well this. The statement was very well put together and I have absolutely no doubt extremely sincere, from that point of view it certainly brought a lot of positivity back to the situation. But as has been said already the business acumen and smarts that enabled the Gordon family to own this club so far as we know ( or at least as far as I know ) were all Ron's and when it came to the football side even he, by his own admission, made mistakes.

The fact that the Gordon's seem determined to take this 'project' forward at this stage seems like a very good thing .. what we don't know is can they do it without the experience and business intelligence Ron brought to the table .... as you say, it seems the best way they can get us where we all want to be is to source and appoint the very best people they can possibly afford and support them as best they can.

superfurryhibby
01-03-2023, 09:32 AM
Firstly, I am genuinely saddened than our Chairman has passed away. I never met him but from those that did I think we were very lucky to have him. He seemed a sincere, successful and committed individual. I would say a rare gentleman with a business edge.

Secondly, the economics of football get more crazy by the day. In Scotland Celtic had revenues of £70m for the half year. If we want any success fan ownership, or even ownership by the butcher, baker or candlestick-maker is for yesterday. The game has gone multi-million plus. I think that a shame but forget fan ownership other than, as a minor adjunct to income. Hibernian need a wise benevolent owner. These guys do not grow on trees.

Should Ron's family wish to continue and I very much hope they do lets give them proper support. In general we have - crowds remain strong, but please its easy to criticise but to do so without an alternative is simply destructive. Let's get behind the Gordon's and give them every chance.

The future for Hibs is to be self sustaining, generating money that ensures the club are competitive and financially secure. The alternative is debt and vulnerability depending on the vagaries of ownership and their commitment.

I hope the Gordon family re-present the opportunity for fans to increase their share in the club. I feel that the uptake would be greater now than the share purchase uptake under STF (which people underestimate in terms of buy in).

chippy
01-03-2023, 09:46 AM
The future for Hibs is to be self sustaining, generating money that ensures the club are competitive and financially secure. The alternative is debt and vulnerability depending on the vagaries of ownership and their commitment.

Like all of us on here very saddened by Ron’s premature death. I agree with the above post. We don’t how it will work out with his family and a divided fortune is likely to mean less investment in addition to the loss of his business acumen. I reckon that there is an opportunity for the family to bring back a version of the STF share purchase scheme. I think there would be a decent take up this time round hopefully through HSL

Nutmegged
01-03-2023, 09:51 AM
I think this was a fair question at the time of asking, like everyone else I was shocked and saddened by Ron's passing but I'd be lying if I were to say my thought's ansld worries didn't immediately go to "what happens now" when thinking about Hibs.

If Ron's family are committed to fulfilling his ambitions for us then great, hopefully they get the right people into the right departments.

heretoday
01-03-2023, 11:23 AM
I think a small delegation to Riyadh might be in order. Take bottles of malt. They love it.

NAE NOOKIE
01-03-2023, 01:01 PM
Like all of us on here very saddened by Ron’s premature death. I agree with the above post. We don’t how it will work out with his family and a divided fortune is likely to mean less investment in addition to the loss of his business acumen. I reckon that there is an opportunity for the family to bring back a version of the STF share purchase scheme. I think there would be a decent take up this time round hopefully through HSL

Ron's intention was always to make the club self sustainable ... the initial cost of buying it aside I don't think the plan was ever to lavish large amounts of his own cash on it and I highly doubt, especially as you say with a divided fortune, that the surviving family members will think any differently.

As for a re launch of the share buying scheme I can't see that happening, Ron deliberately increased the number of shares in an attempt to dilute HSL's holding ... this is an ownership who don't want no partners, especially not a fan on the board with a meaningful vote IMO.

The only two questions that remain are:

1) Do the Gordon's have the ability to make the club a success under their continuing stewardship? ... That very definitely remains to be seen.

2) If they did decide to sell up would they give the fans a chance to buy the club, or would they go for the fast buck and take the first offer that matched their valuation of it? ..... Given the tone of their statement I would expect, if not the fan option, then at least due diligence if they did decide to sell in the future, but you just never know.

Diclonius
01-03-2023, 01:08 PM

I certainly wouldn't have said a thing and to be honest, even though I was completely unaware of the personal situation, I really regret some of the things I said now.

It's easy to be an expert when you only see things from the surface and I include myself in that.

Hibbyradge
01-03-2023, 02:57 PM
I certainly wouldn't have said a thing and to be honest, even though I was completely unaware of the personal situation, I really regret some of the things I said now.

It's easy to be an expert when you only see things from the surface and I include myself in that.

Top class sentiments, Diclonius. Well said.

Lago
01-03-2023, 03:29 PM

Nicely put.