PDA

View Full Version : Upturn after Emptying Players

Up-the-slope
20-02-2023, 07:48 AM
Seeing how getting rid of Paul Pogba and Ronaldo appears to have totally transformed Man U (5 points behind top which seemed inconceivable a few short weeks ago)

Less obvious which players in our case - but several loaned / sold (remember how many of us were skeptical / outraged at how this was manager / clubs focus for window) difference is remarkable

Any other examples where moving players out has been as important as those brought in?

Since452
20-02-2023, 07:53 AM
One goal conceded and much better performances since Porteous was sold. "Goal" shouldn't have stood either. Makes you wonder if certain players weren't great around the place.

DIXIHIBS
20-02-2023, 08:05 AM
One goal conceded and much better performances since Porteous was sold. "Goal" shouldn't have stood either. Makes you wonder if certain players weren't great around the place.

Although he was playing well the absence of Rocky (and Porteous) has allowed what appears to be a more stable and affective back line. Jeggo has clearly helped that but there is a clear difference.

raeburnhibs
20-02-2023, 08:10 AM
Although he was playing well the absence of Rocky (and Porteous) has allowed what appears to be a more stable and affective back line. Jeggo has clearly helped that but there is a clear difference.

Effective signings; Jeggo, Egan-Bailey, no Rocky (he is still a work in progress), Fish and Hanlon appear a decent partnership, Porteous away, Nisbet back, Youan's growing form and confidence, Hoppe looks useful, McGeady, winning leads to more confidence, better team spirit

Stubbsy90+2
20-02-2023, 08:29 AM

Porteous really wasn’t great for us. He made us worse as a unit and individually his performances were absolutely nothing to write home about. It’s no surprise we look better without him.

Clarence
20-02-2023, 08:32 AM
Porteous really wasn’t great for us. He made us worse as a unit and individually his performances were absolutely nothing to write home about. It’s no surprise we look better without him.

I liked him but I know what you mean. Bit of a show pony when all we need is a work horse.

wookie70
20-02-2023, 08:37 AM
I think Porteous going may be the main catalyst but it may be Jeggo coming is as much a reason. If the defence looks solid it makes it so much easier for the rest of the team

Brightside
20-02-2023, 08:50 AM
A couple of good Jan signings and playing players in their correct positions has improved us.

Alex Trager
20-02-2023, 08:55 AM
I am reluctant to say that Porto going has helped us, it certainly seems a fairly large coincidence mind you.

I would however point to Rocky being out as being a fairly large contributing factor.

That may be harsh, I don’t know.

Jeggo has helped.

Having two centre halves just battering things away, and letting the football players, play football is helping.

Both Rocky and Porto were always galloping forward, so much so, I always felt that Porto’s games were often judged on him up the park.

A good few instances of him helping us get points in an attacking sense this season.

I’m not sure what the difference has been, but long may it continue.

Up-the-slope
20-02-2023, 09:01 AM
So is it a case that 'big' personalities can be as much a negative as it can sometimes galvanize ? Ronaldo away... the quiter Rashford is thriving ...
Porto away and I see Paul Hanlon (full disclosure.. I have always thought a much better player than given credit for) talking others through the games and bringing organisation..

Do these quieter players just get fed up / drowned out by the louder personalities?

OldEast
20-02-2023, 09:05 AM
So is it a case that 'big' personalities can be as much a negative as it can sometimes galvanize ? Ronaldo away... the quiter Rashford is thriving ...
Porto away and I see Paul Hanlon (full disclosure.. I have always thought a much better player than giving credit for) taking others through the games and bringing organisation..

Do these quieter players just get fed up / drowned out by the louder personalities?

For me that's not the whole reason but a huge part of it.

J-C
20-02-2023, 09:07 AM
I think it was an eye opener seeing Porteous bollocking Melkersen and Tavares for no apparent reason, was he getting just too big for his boots.

G15 Hibs
20-02-2023, 09:16 AM
A couple of good Jan signings and playing players in their correct positions has improved us.

Doing the simple things can make a big difference

Pretty Boy
20-02-2023, 09:25 AM
I think it was an eye opener seeing Porteous bollocking Melkersen and Tavares for no apparent reason, was he getting just too big for his boots.

I don't like the idea of a pile on starting with Porteous. He was a fine player for us, a good servant and will go on to have a good career down south imo.

I do think there is something in this though. There was a game last season in which Porteous was screaming at Melkerson every time he touched the ball, after about the 3rd or 4th time it happened you could visibly see Melkerson going into his shell and he wasn't showing for the ball anywhere near as often. People might say he needs to 'grow a pair' or whatever but different players respond to different things and if you have a player being made nervous by a team mate then it's not conductive to them being productive, It was a feature with Porteous, every misplaced pass or break down in play was the fault of someone else and he was regularly bollocking others even when he was at least partially to blame. I've played with guys who demanded high standards and would let you know if they slipped, they demanded the same from themselves as well though and shouldered the blame when it was on them.

Tbh I think moving on will be good for Porteous in that regard too. He won't be the big fish in a small pond anymore and guys like Tom Cleverley, Dan Gosling and Mario Gaspar who have played at the very top level or close to it will soon let him know there is a hierarchy in any team.

Wilson
20-02-2023, 09:29 AM

There will have been a reason. Probably the same reasons that had Johnson crying about mediocrity. The same reason that neither features for hibs.

Unseen work
20-02-2023, 09:34 AM
I think Porteous wanted to control the game too much from the back at times, he would always be on the ball and the defence had too many touches.

Hanlon and Fish seem to take minimal touches and get the ball into the midfield and striker alot quicker, which imo is helping our forward players receive it in more space and be more effective.

Hopefully they continue how they started.

The January window as a whole and change in form is almost reminding me of the one under Lennon though when we got rid of stokes etc and brought in Kamberi and MacLaren. It just seem like the squad are clicking a lot more and balance seems so much better.

Up-the-slope
20-02-2023, 09:40 AM
I don't like the idea of a pile on starting with Porteous. He was a fine player for us, a good servant and will go on to have a good career down south imo.

I do think there is something in this though. There was a game last season in which Porteous was screaming at Melkerson every time he touched the ball, after about the 3rd or 4th time it happened you could visibly see Melkerson going into his shell and he wasn't showing for the ball anywhere near as often. People might say he needs to 'grow a pair' or whatever but different players respond to different things and if you have a player being made nervous by a team mate then it's not conductive to them being productive, It was a feature with Porteous, every misplaced pass or break down in play was the fault of someone else and he was regularly bollocking others even when he was at least partially to blame. I've played with guys who demanded high standards and would let you know if they slipped, they demanded the same from themselves as well though and shouldered the blame when it was on them.

Tbh I think moving on will be good for Porteous in that regard too. He won't be the big fish in a small pond anymore and guys like Tom Cleverley, Dan Gosling and Mario Gaspar who have played at the very top level or close to it will soon let him know there is a hierarchy in any team.
:aok: good post. Totally its not just one thing but a part. others have left / loaned. Maybe the 'drag' of trying to include and train players who were never going to play was also a waste / diversion of resources and not something that created a real team mentality.
I guess that Manager and club verbalised how reducing numbers was crucial (and many criticised the concentration on that) and things are improving is a large part of many coming round to thinking 'maybe they do what they are doing / talking about'

Victor
20-02-2023, 09:43 AM

Totally agree. I don’t think it’s a coincidence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J-C
20-02-2023, 09:47 AM
:aok: good post. Totally its not just one thing but a part. others have left / loaned. Maybe the 'drag' of trying to include and train players who were never going to play was also a waste / diversion of resources and not something that created a real team mentality.

The bloated squad didn't help,players training at different times, some knowing they'll not be near the squad or getting a game. There could've been 3-4 constant moaners bringing down the squad harmony.

ScottB
20-02-2023, 09:49 AM
Having an actual defensive midfielder, instead of playing Porto there, has probably been a big factor too…

Percy Vere
20-02-2023, 09:53 AM
Seeing how getting rid of Paul Pogba and Ronaldo appears to have totally transformed Man U (5 points behind top which seemed inconceivable a few short weeks ago)

Less obvious which players in our case - but several loaned / sold (remember how many of us were skeptical / outraged at how this was manager / clubs focus for window) difference is remarkable

Any other examples where moving players out has been as important as those brought in?

Think it’s helped a lot. Jeggo arrival coincides with Porto departure, he’s def making a difference. And Fish playing solid football.

Donegal Hibby
20-02-2023, 10:32 AM

Porto was undoubtedly a good player who use to drive forward with the ball from defense right through midfield probably leaving the defense a bit weak at times and for me even though LJ was criticized for it I understood why he moved him into midfield at the end . Fish and Hanlon aren't bombing forward the same way but doing what good defenders should be doing " DEFENDING " .

Porteous last few months at us was pretty grim and should have been dropped imo . His attitude towards his teammates wasn't good with him shouting at young players which didn't help matters at all though when you look back he was himself making his fair share of mistakes that were costing us goals .

It was said to me by another poster that it was the logical thing for Porto to move on to develop his career at 23 years maybe it was though I'm glad Josh Campbell didn't have this logic ! Have we missed Porteous since he's left ? Not one bit . Will we miss him ? Very much doubt we will to be honest.

Crunchie
20-02-2023, 10:48 AM

Some great points there, I'm looking forward to tonights game to see how he acts. I too think he'll go on to bigger and better things if he screws the nut, especially if he consistently gets to the level he produced in his first Scotland game.

Garymcl
20-02-2023, 10:50 AM
Back to basics as far as I can see from my seat in the Famous Five for me I personally like Jeggo does all the ‘dirty and unglamorous’ work and a no nonsense defensive mid I know it’s early days but could be signing of the season

Lago
20-02-2023, 11:50 AM
I'm afraid he was becoming a distraction and liked being the main man, football is a team game after all.

GRA
20-02-2023, 02:54 PM
Though we look a more cohesive team, the 10 points from 12 we've gained in the last 4 games (would have been 12 from 12 if we had competent officials running VAR) are from beating teams we should be expecting to beat to challenge near to the top end of the table. Similar to when we had our September/early October upturn in form last year.

The true test will be when we play the three teams above us. No wins and 5 defeats from 7 in those games, with 2 draws being last-gasp equalisers. If we can start to get some wins there I'll be more convinced.

Heedersnvolleys
20-02-2023, 03:02 PM
No Newell?

MWHIBBIES
20-02-2023, 04:16 PM
No Newell?

Been vital in our good recent form.

Bushwoof
20-02-2023, 04:21 PM
Glad Porto's gone, a bad apple.

Having said that, I'm sure he'll sort out his game playing down south (he'll need to), and if he can consistently put in performances like his Scotland one he'll earn us a tidy sum from his sell-on.

Trinity Hibee
20-02-2023, 04:54 PM

Yeah was always quick to berate others for someone who often made pretty basic mistakes in games.

Hibbyradge
20-02-2023, 05:50 PM
I remember being mocked for saying early in the season that I didn't like the way Porteous shouted at Melkerson and others. Lots of sarcastic comments and deriding smileys came my way.

I'm glad to see that a lot of people now feel the same. Melkerson should have been getting encouraged not berated, even when he might have made a mistake, possibly even more so then than when he did well.

Having said that, overall Porteous was an asset to Hibs and I hope he goes on to have an excellent career. I'll be watching him tonight.

Big_Franck
20-02-2023, 06:16 PM
To be honest, I think the biggest factor in our upturn in form after punting a few players is the fortunate run of fixtures we've had.

Jeggo has made a difference as well. Having an experienced, proper defensive mid who has his positioning right more often than not, and who knows how and when to stop a counter, is something we've been missing for a while.

JammyDoidger
20-02-2023, 06:44 PM
I loved Porto, but it's clear the last thing you need is a centre half thinking he's a superstar, you want your defenders doing the basics well and giving the ball to the Better players, most of our games felt like the porteous show, It's good to see a team with no ego's just fighting for one another. Long may it continue.

Waxy
20-02-2023, 07:00 PM
Porto live on sky just now.

Since452
20-02-2023, 07:09 PM
Porto live on sky just now.

8 mins in and about falling asleep. Absolute snoozefest.

eastmainsmsh
20-02-2023, 07:18 PM

Currently doing the same v West Brom lol

oneone73
20-02-2023, 07:30 PM
To be honest, I think the biggest factor in our upturn in form after punting a few players is the fortunate run of fixtures we've had.

Bit of revisionism going on here. The Dons game was El Sackio, a real high-pressure game; Ross County away on a midweek with horrendous weather is a challenge for absolutely everyone, and virtually no one had won at St Mirren.
Credit where it's due, please.

J-C
20-02-2023, 08:09 PM
Currently doing the same v West Brom lol

I think that's just his style but berating young foreign players who are still settling in was just wrong, you'd never see Stevenson, Hanlon or Newell doing that unless it was justified.

CapitalGreen
20-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Bit of revisionism going on here. The Dons game was El Sackio, a real high-pressure game; Ross County away on a midweek with horrendous weather is a challenge for absolutely everyone, and virtually no one had won at St Mirren.
Credit where it's due, please.

Yup, we’ve taken more points, scored more goals and conceded less in our last 4 games compared to the corresponding games at the start of the season.

Torto7
20-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Jeggo has helped the defence and Egan Riley looks like he will as well. Watching Jeggo off the ball is quite eye opening.

ancient hibee
20-02-2023, 09:29 PM
Some of the posts about Porteous are complete mince. The reason the defence looks sound now is because at last we have a proper defensive midfielder. It used to infuriate me when I would see photos of goals we lost and they always seemed to feature a midfield player failing to get anywhere near a goal scorer.. Our midfield was like traffic police waving the cars through. Things have changed thank goodness.

B.H.F.C
20-02-2023, 09:55 PM
Some of the posts about Porteous are complete mince. The reason the defence looks sound now is because at last we have a proper defensive midfielder. It used to infuriate me when I would see photos of goals we lost and they always seemed to feature a midfield player failing to get anywhere near a goal scorer.. Our midfield was like traffic police waving the cars through. Things have changed thank goodness.

Jeggo has undoubtedly made a difference. But Hanlon has found a bit of form that simply hadn’t been there before. And Fish is performing better than either Rocky or Porteous were previously.

Porteous is a good player who was in poor form. He was certainly a part in our poor defensive performances.

500miles
20-02-2023, 10:36 PM
Porteous getting slated on here because we've had a handful of decent games i)against teams in crisis and ii) we started playing with a defensive mid (much like our good run earlier in the season. )

I totally boils my piss the way that folk absorb the garbage put out by tabloids about a young player who dared to back himself and go toe to toe with the hun media machine.

Porteous was a mainstay in 2 seasons on the trot of us having excellent defensive records, the best outwith the OF.

He played through injury, barrages of abuse from senior figures in the game and out of position and he gets not iota of respect all because we'd rather have nice quiet laddies all the time. Utter loser mentality.

500miles
20-02-2023, 10:39 PM
Porteous rant aside - Gogic season - solid defence, JDH season - solid defence , stop playing DM - dodgy defence.

This isn't rocket science.

NAE NOOKIE
20-02-2023, 11:05 PM
When it comes to Porteous it could well be that his absence has improved the dynamic within our defence. His seeming need to berate players might even have been on the back of him feeling some pressure to be a leader in that back 4 and on the pitch in general and he didn't handle it too well through a relative lack of experience. In fact you might even be able to say that his good start at Watford is down to him not feeling that pressure any more ... it looks like his transfer has been good for him as well as us in a playing sense.

Did the manager also not indicate recently that the reduction in numbers around the first team squad had allowed him to improve the standard and focus of the training sessions?

Whatever the case, there does seem to be a better atmosphere around the team than previously which can't be a bad thing. It's not too difficult to recall the vibe around the 2016 cup winning team, there were times watching variations of that squad play where you could feel the camaraderie and togetherness coming off them in waves, bags of personality and all of it positive, it transferred to the fans as well, in my 40 odd years going to ER I can barely remember a team the fans identified with so much and that was before they won the cup ... if we can get anywhere near that team spirit at East Mains we will be well sorted.

cameronw-hfc
20-02-2023, 11:17 PM

I got slated on here for saying he had to move, for his and our sake, but it was true. He stagnated here, his footballing ability improved but he was still making the same silly mistakes and pointing the finger. I think the fact that no matter what he done, the media would slate him didn't help as real criticism just got lost in the hate, whereas down south he can focus on those sides of his game without the hatred he faced up here.

By no means do I think he was bad, but he didn't have his best season, and I think he needed the move to improve himself and us. I still maintain we should have sold him in the summer.

DJ HIBBY
21-02-2023, 06:05 AM
Very simplistic but both our best runs of the season have come without Rocky in the team. Said it before but whilst he may defend well individually he just doesn’t seem to fit well within the defensive unit.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-02-2023, 06:24 AM
Does anyone really think that Porto was emptied?

OldEast
21-02-2023, 06:53 AM
Does anyone really think that Porto was emptied?

Taking things a bit literally no?

Since452
21-02-2023, 07:13 AM
I'm a big fan of LJ and have been from the start however i do wonder if the "leadership role" he gave Porteous at the start of the season was ultimately detrimental to both the player and the team? I can see why he did it, he must have seen leadership qualities in him and maybe used it as a carrot to get him to sign a new contract, but i feel like it detracted away from Porteous playing his normal game. Maybe he felt like he had to scream at players in that newly created role?

He definitely regressed this season which is unusual as LJ seems to have improved plenty other players.

Stubbsy90+2
21-02-2023, 07:30 AM
I'm a big fan of LJ and have been from the start however i do wonder if the "leadership role" he gave Porteous at the start of the season was ultimately detrimental to both the player and the team? I can see why he did it, he must have seen leadership qualities in him and maybe used it as a carrot to get him to sign a new contract, but i feel like it detracted away from Porteous playing his normal game. Maybe he felt like he had to scream at players in that newly created role?

He definitely regressed this season which is unusual as LJ seems to have improved plenty other players.

Porteous had a horror season last season as well with 12 of our matches impacted by his god awful discipline, whether that was sending offs in the games themselves or the subsequent suspension. He was also at fault for his fair share of goals when he actually managed to make it onto the pitch.

number9dream
21-02-2023, 08:12 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs

Bottom of this article, LJ explains discipline within the club has improved since January clear-out, with standards in training going up...
It could just be easier to manage a smaller group and keep people happy and it could also mean there were a few disruptive characters.

Brightside
21-02-2023, 08:19 AM
I think that's just his style but berating young foreign players who are still settling in was just wrong, you'd never see Stevenson, Hanlon or Newell doing that unless it was justified.

Remember they aren't "leaders" according to some.

Brightside
21-02-2023, 08:24 AM
Jeggo has undoubtedly made a difference. But Hanlon has found a bit of form that simply hadn’t been there before. And Fish is performing better than either Rocky or Porteous were previously.

Porteous is a good player who was in poor form. He was certainly a part in our poor defensive performances.

That bit of form is down to 2 things. 1 slowly recovering from a Hamstring issue (still an issue but being managed and clearly improving, 2 not being exposed by a lack of a decent DM. If you expose any CBs they quickly start looking poor. In fact you actually saw him being exposed when we took off the LB at the weekend and brought on Jair. Thankfully Fish and ER recovered quickly to stop the goal.

Since452
21-02-2023, 09:06 AM
Porteous had a horror season last season as well with 12 of our matches impacted by his god awful discipline, whether that was sending offs in the games themselves or the subsequent suspension. He was also at fault for his fair share of goals when he actually managed to make it onto the pitch.

:agree: I got absolutely slated on here for criticising his reckless tackle at Ibrox which cost us the game in my opinion. Jack Ross strangely got a hard time as well for not sticking up for him. Sure that coincided with the start of the poor run that saw Ross lose his job. Porteous could be very good at times but there was always poor decision making creeping in.

Cat Stanton
21-02-2023, 09:15 AM
upturn in atmosphere around the club and in training included in this article today:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/its-like-popcorn-why-lee-johnson-didnt-call-on-hibs-kids-during-bad-run-and-how-they-stand-to-benefit-from-january-rejig-4034646

ozwoody
21-02-2023, 09:31 AM
I think with Porto's way of dealing with team mates gone, Paul Hanlon has managed to do what an experienced player does well, talk a young player through the game.
Fish has improved a hell of a lot with the influence of Hanlon beside him, as has Jeggo I would suggest

Kato
21-02-2023, 09:32 AM
I think with Porto's way of dealing with team mates gone, Paul Hanlon has managed to do what an experienced player does well, talk a young player through the game.
Fish has improved a hell of a lot with the influence of Hanlon beside him, as has Jeggo I would suggestYeah, waving your arms about whilst screaming at a player isn't leadership.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Saint Hibee
21-02-2023, 09:59 AM
Porteous getting slated on here because we've had a handful of decent games i)against teams in crisis and ii) we started playing with a defensive mid (much like our good run earlier in the season. )

I totally boils my piss the way that folk absorb the garbage put out by tabloids about a young player who dared to back himself and go toe to toe with the hun media machine.

Porteous was a mainstay in 2 seasons on the trot of us having excellent defensive records, the best outwith the OF.

He played through injury, barrages of abuse from senior figures in the game and out of position and he gets not iota of respect all because we'd rather have nice quiet laddies all the time. Utter loser mentality.

This 100%. People grumble about the Weegie witch hunt against him - and then join in!

B.H.F.C
21-02-2023, 10:02 AM
Fish has improved a hell of a lot with the influence of Hanlon beside him, as has Jeggo I would suggest

It’s hard to say that Fish has improved with Hanlon beside him, he’s never had a chance with anyone else. It might be that we just missed a trick with Fish in the first half of the season and that he’s always been perfectly capable.

superfurryhibby
21-02-2023, 10:03 AM
upturn in atmosphere around the club and in training included in this article today:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/its-like-popcorn-why-lee-johnson-didnt-call-on-hibs-kids-during-bad-run-and-how-they-stand-to-benefit-from-january-rejig-4034646

Johnson recalls friend and colleague Brian Marwood, currently the City Football Group’s Managing Director of Global Football, visiting Hibs in the midst of the poor run of form and then coming back last month and being dumbstruck by the change in mood.

"He thought it was unbelievable. He found everyone was polite, everything was clean, the training sessions were on point and the lads are fully at it. Mykola [Kukharevych] loves it, CJ Egan-Riley – who he knows from his time at Manchester City – loves it, and that’s what I’m proud of. In that six to eight week period we’ve gone from a malaise and average to poor discipline, and a swollen squad, to coming through a bad patch and getting results first and foremost in the league. The training standard has gone up, we brought two or three good players through the door, got 12 players out, and the young lads are grateful to be in and around it. That’s a big difference.”

Stubbsy90+2
21-02-2023, 11:04 AM
This 100%. People grumble about the Weegie witch hunt against him - and then join in!

He spent 10 games suspended last season. Ryan Porteous has to take responsibility for himself, blaming things on a Weegie witch hunt when he’s racked up that many suspensions just makes us look a bit daft. He was an absolute idiot last season and the criticism he received was pretty justified.

Silky
21-02-2023, 11:10 AM
Johnson recalls friend and colleague Brian Marwood, currently the City Football Group’s Managing Director of Global Football, visiting Hibs in the midst of the poor run of form and then coming back last month and being dumbstruck by the change in mood.

"He thought it was unbelievable. He found everyone was polite, everything was clean, the training sessions were on point and the lads are fully at it. Mykola [Kukharevych] loves it, CJ Egan-Riley – who he knows from his time at Manchester City – loves it, and that’s what I’m proud of. In that six to eight week period we’ve gone from a malaise and average to poor discipline, and a swollen squad, to coming through a bad patch and getting results first and foremost in the league. The training standard has gone up, we brought two or three good players through the door, got 12 players out, and the young lads are grateful to be in and around it. That’s a big difference.”

Mind, he's a complete slaver though.

Cat Stanton
21-02-2023, 11:19 AM

There is that. Important caveat to be aware of.

Torto7
21-02-2023, 11:21 AM

:agree: Scottish folk love to tear their own down and do the bidding of their enemies. Pathetic.

Torto7
21-02-2023, 11:23 AM
He spent 10 games suspended last season. Ryan Porteous has to take responsibility for himself, blaming things on a Weegie witch hunt when he’s racked up that many suspensions just makes us look a bit daft. He was an absolute idiot last season and the criticism he received was pretty justified.

Utter tosh. Keith Jackson could have wrote what you just posted.

hibsbollah
21-02-2023, 11:24 AM
‘Malaise and average to poor discipline’ is quite a statement. I suppose the source of this discipline problem is just conjecture…Porto? Kenneh? Bojang? A group?

DIXIHIBS
21-02-2023, 11:32 AM

Dont think thats what is being said here. There was undoubtedly an agenda against Porteous after he rightly stood up to the huns etc. The comments on here are about his onfield performances and the effect he may have had on the team. Most on here are very respectful about Porto but realistic about him. Hardly joining in a witch hunt.

Trinity Hibee
21-02-2023, 11:33 AM

Is it? He was suspended for far too many games which can’t really be argued. Add to that he was making basic errors as he was too rash in situations. Interesting our defence has stopped leaking goals now. Granted it’s been teams lower in the league but we weren’t always keeping clean sheets against these teams earlier in the season.

He’s comfortable on the ball of that there is no doubt and there is potential there. His scotland debut he was superb.

LunasBoots
21-02-2023, 11:47 AM
Actually not fussed now that Portos gone, seem to play much better without Porto running into the midfield with the ball.

Stubbsy90+2
21-02-2023, 11:50 AM

Was he not suspended for 10 games? Did someone else put in the stupid challenges he put in? Did someone else stamp on Ramirez for example? Was it someone else in control of Ryan Porteous when he went over the top of the ball against Aribo? Did someone else control Ryan Porteous when he put in a tackle he had no chance of winning up at Pittodrie?

What is ‘utter tosh’ is to blame his utter stupidity on some conspiracy theory. The guy cost us big time last season and theres nobody to blame but Ryan Porteous.

Hibbyradge
21-02-2023, 11:55 AM
‘Malaise and average to poor discipline’ is quite a statement. I suppose the source of this discipline problem is just conjecture…Porto? Kenneh? Bojang? A group?

I would have thought it would have been some of the players who we have moved on.

Hibee Daft
21-02-2023, 12:00 PM
Porteous is a good defender when hes not rushing out of position or trying a wonder long ball.

Players like Henderson and Newell have definitely benefitted from the ball not just getting hoofed as they arent that physical

Hiber-nation
21-02-2023, 12:05 PM

I'd guess Mitchell, no idea about others although it's clear that Porto was getting too big for Hibs in his eyes.

hibsbollah
21-02-2023, 12:08 PM
I'd guess Mitchell, no idea about others although it's clear that Porto was getting too big for Hibs in his eyes.

I forgot about him.

superfurryhibby
21-02-2023, 12:09 PM
There is that. Important caveat to be aware of.

I think that was a whoosh moment.

Johnson is highlighting some of the challenges he faced at the club in no uncertain terms, I believe him.

Kato
21-02-2023, 12:23 PM
Was he not suspended for 10 games? Did someone else put in the stupid challenges he put in? Did someone else stamp on Ramirez for example? Was it someone else in control of Ryan Porteous when he went over the top of the ball against Aribo? Did someone else control Ryan Porteous when he put in a tackle he had no chance of winning up at Pittodrie?

It’s utter tosh to blame his utter stupidity on some conspiracy theory. The guy cost us big time last season and theres nobody to blame but Ryan Porteous.There's an angle which shows he never touched Aribo.

Kato
21-02-2023, 12:25 PM
Found it. This tackle was a root cause of most of the weegie meltdown. Doesn't touch him.

https://twitter.com/HibbySmurf/status/1444766023509553156?t=875tgkeN77X2LKfQJF7FXw&s=19

KeithTheHibby
21-02-2023, 12:29 PM
There's an angle which shows he never touched Aribo.

When you are a goal up at Ibrox and controlling the game you simply do not make rash OTT challenges like that regardless of whether you play the ball or not.

hibsbollah
21-02-2023, 12:32 PM
When you are a goal up at Ibrox and controlling the game you simply do not make rash OTT challenges like that regardless of whether you play the ball or not.

I think he won the ball in that clip but he was also endangering an opponent by being out of control so the way the laws are written I think he ‘gave the ref a decision to make’ as the stupid saying goes, and at Ibrox that’s only going one way.

Bushwoof
21-02-2023, 12:36 PM
It was noticeable last night that Porto stuck to his defensive tasks (even if Watford still lost 2 goals). The move will do him a lot of good, and it seems to have been good for Hibs too. Hopefully we'll use the cash towards a permanent deal for Youan.

Since452
21-02-2023, 01:45 PM
It was noticeable last night that Porto stuck to his defensive tasks (even if Watford still lost 2 goals). The move will do him a lot of good, and it seems to have been good for Hibs too. Hopefully we'll use the cash towards a permanent deal for Youan.

The move will suit all parties. Can't say fairer than that. What i really want to know is are Watford still going grace us with their presence and allow us to have a glamour friendly with them as was suggested? We need time to arrange the half and half shirts, scarves and bunting so we can create a carnival atmosphere. Perhaps play it at Murrayfield like Barca?

Stubbsy90+2
21-02-2023, 01:51 PM
There's an angle which shows he never touched Aribo.

He doesn’t need to when he goes over the top of the ball and is completely out of control. It was a terrible tackle, one that our manager understood why it was a red and one that Dermot Gallagher also thought was a red, two folk that as far as I’m aware wouldn’t qualify as part of the ‘Weegie witch hunt’.

If you go in over the top of the ball, with that sort of force then you’re going to be looking at a red whether you catch the player or not.

Up-the-slope
21-02-2023, 03:38 PM
well setting your napper on fire (allegedly:wink:) could never be considered good discipline

Eyrie
21-02-2023, 07:27 PM
He doesn’t need to when he goes over the top of the ball and is completely out of control. It was a terrible tackle, one that our manager understood why it was a red and one that Dermot Gallagher also thought was a red, two folk that as far as I’m aware wouldn’t qualify as part of the ‘Weegie witch hunt’.

If you go in over the top of the ball, with that sort of force then you’re going to be looking at a red whether you catch the player or not.

And he didn't catch Aribo. Aribo tripped over Porteous' knees after Porteous had got the ball. Very clear from the reverse angle.

Lundstrom got away with far worse when he went over the ball and caught Josh Doig earlier in the same game. No foul at the time and no involvement from the compliance officer.

Stubbsy90+2
21-02-2023, 07:56 PM
And he didn't catch Aribo. Aribo tripped over Porteous' knees after Porteous had got the ball. Very clear from the reverse angle.

Lundstrom got away with far worse when he went over the ball and caught Josh Doig earlier in the same game. No foul at the time and no involvement from the compliance officer.

As I said, it doesn’t matter if you catch the player or not, the days of getting away with a tackle because you didn’t break the guy in two are long gone. It was a terrible tackle, one that even our manager accepted being a red. It was over the top of the ball and completely out of control.

Rangers players getting away with murder doesn’t change that. We all know they get away with stuff they shouldn’t.

Regardless, even without that incident, there was still plenty others. He was an absolute liability last season and he was the reason for it, not the ‘west coast mafia’ or whatever they’re being referred as or Keith Jackson.

California-Hibs
22-02-2023, 06:17 PM
Folk often talk about how he’s came on to a game, and is one of our best players etc but I genuinely feel that not having Rocky back there is paying dividends. Too erratic and often caught out of position. I think the simplicity of Fish and Hanlon is reaping its rewards. I actually think we could improve big time on Hanlon, who’s best years seem behind him now, but I’d still continue with him and Fish as the pairing once Rocky is back fit.

BSEJVT
23-02-2023, 06:59 PM

Regardless of the source, he was the manager and should have been managing the situation.

Interview makes him look ridiculously weak and had he been managing one of my companies he would no longer be doing so.

It reads like he lucked out in getting rid of folk and the wheel magically turned.

The fact that most that left were young young boys trying to find their place in the game makes it 100 times worse.

Had it been a cabal of seasoned professionals reaching the end of their careers who didn't give a **** I might have had more sympathy but it was still his responsibility to manage the situation and he failed.

I am honestly shocked he has come out and said this, he would have been much much better off saying nothing other than it has taken him a while to get his ideas across which are now bearing fruit.

He is a slavering arse in my opinion.

ChilliEater
24-02-2023, 08:25 AM

What is ‘utter tosh’ is to blame his utter stupidity on some conspiracy theory. The guy cost us big time last season and theres nobody to blame but Ryan Porteous.

I know neither point of view will "win" this argument, but I still don't even see the Aribo one as a free kick. I thought at the time, and think the same every time I see it, that that was an absolutely perfectly timed tackle.

Stamping on Ramirez, totally dumb and he deserved the suspension.

The penalty at Pittodrie - people still say they hate Dave Beaumont because he didn't trip Wayne Foster, and take the red card, to prevent Hearts cup winner at ER 30 years ago. Now Porto's stupid because he did put in a desperate lunge to prevent a goal, even if they did then score the subsequent penalty. The only stupid things there were - the decision to appeal and then the extra game ban for lodging that appeal. As far as I'm aware, the only player to get an extended ban after appealling.

Probably treated perfectly fairly though :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
24-02-2023, 08:37 AM
Regardless of the source, he was the manager and should have been managing the situation.

Interview makes him look ridiculously weak and had he been managing one of my companies he would no longer be doing so.

It reads like he lucked out in getting rid of folk and the wheel magically turned.

The fact that most that left were young young boys trying to find their place in the game makes it 100 times worse.

Had it been a cabal of seasoned professionals reaching the end of their careers who didn't give a **** I might have had more sympathy but it was still his responsibility to manage the situation and he failed.

I am honestly shocked he has come out and said this, he would have been much much better off saying nothing other than it has taken him a while to get his ideas across which are now bearing fruit.

‘Managing one of my companies’. Do you have an actual portfolio of companies you own?

Hibbyradge
24-02-2023, 08:40 AM

He'd been in the job 9 months and saw that there was a discipline problem. He's dealt with it.

The best managers in the world don't tolerate players bad mouthing and creating ill feeling in the dressing room.

I'm sure he's got enough on his plate without having to appease a bunch of trouble makers whose main grouse is that they aren't going to feature in the first team anytime soon.

I've had people working for me who were a total drain on my time because I spent it trying to get them onboard when I should have been encouraging and getting the most out of the others. Unfortunately I wasn't able just to send them on loan or sell them.

Since452
24-02-2023, 09:03 AM

Not a fan then? 😂

basehibby
24-02-2023, 10:12 AM

I would have thought he was refering to the effects of having much too big a first team squad such that some players KNOW they are on a hiding to nothing and develop attitudes reflecting that situation. Reducing the squad to a manageable size would rectify a lot of issues like that at a stroke while making training much more focused on matchday.

G15 Hibs
24-02-2023, 01:27 PM
The penalty at Pittodrie - people still say they hate Dave Beaumont because he didn't trip Wayne Foster, and take the red card, to prevent Hearts cup winner at ER 30 years ago. Now Porto's stupid because he did put in a desperate lunge to prevent a goal, even if they did then score the subsequent penalty.

They're not really comparable situations though, are they?
Beaumont: last minute of a cup-tie, 1-1, if he brings Foster down it's well outside the box, good chance Hearts won't score, we see out the game with 10 men and go to a replay. Doesn't bring him down, we're out the cup.
Porteous: doesn't bring him down and Aberdeen score = 2-1 down with around half an hour left, 11v11. Decent chance to get back in it. Instead makes a daft challenge that he's never going to win, Aberdeen penalty, always likely to score (which they do), 2-1 down with 10 men.

I was a big fan of Porteous at Hibs, but I think it was the right time for him to move for all parties' sakes.

hibsbollah
24-02-2023, 02:48 PM
I would have thought he was refering to the effects of having much too big a first team squad such that some players KNOW they are on a hiding to nothing and develop attitudes reflecting that situation. Reducing the squad to a manageable size would rectify a lot of issues like that at a stroke while making training much more focused on matchday.

Yes that’s all true, but undoubtedly there must have been particular players developing these attitudes more than others.

Fuzzywuzzy
24-02-2023, 02:55 PM

He's got an app for that

BSEJVT
26-02-2023, 05:07 PM
‘Managing one of my companies’. Do you have an actual portfolio of companies you own?

Not any longer as I am retired and have sold up

Previously yes hence the comment