PDA

View Full Version : Ellias Melkerson

Torto7062
19-02-2023, 04:43 PM
Since he's went out on loan he's had 3 mins play, surely that's not what Hibs would have wanted

B.H.F.C
19-02-2023, 04:46 PM
Found it a weird move in the first place. It was arguably a step up, didn’t ever think he was going to go and play regularly. He’s neither going to develop nor are we going to get the seven figure fee in the summer.

Northernhibee
19-02-2023, 04:49 PM
Whoever his agent is, isn’t getting paid enough.

Mind you, would have been far better placed staying at Bodo/Glimt. Much as it’s probably been worth it financially short term, long term it would be better for his development to stay put.

JohnM1875
19-02-2023, 04:56 PM
To be honest I kinda get the impression we just wanted him out the door. Could obviously be completely wrong about that.

Pretty Boy
19-02-2023, 04:58 PM
Is Hague still about or did we offload him?

Iain G
19-02-2023, 04:59 PM
Still think there is a player there who could do very well for us. He needs matches though

Heisenberg
19-02-2023, 05:03 PM
It was always a very strange loan. He couldn’t get a game here so had no chance at a higher level.

Baader
19-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Was never going to get much game time there and there's no way we get that release fee.

WhileTheChief..
19-02-2023, 05:22 PM
To be honest I kinda get the impression we just wanted him out the door. Could obviously be completely wrong about that.

Yup, same with Kenneh at Ross Co.

Neither to be seen in a Hibs strip again thankfully and an end to our expensive 'signing potential but actually getting pap' policy.

1875Sean
19-02-2023, 05:23 PM
Since he's went out on loan he's had 3 mins play, surely that's not what Hibs would have wanted

Think Hibs were hoping for the seven figure sum and moving him along rather than game time

J-C
19-02-2023, 05:28 PM
Yup, same with Kenneh at Ross Co.

Neither to be seen in a Hibs strip again thankfully and an end to our expensive 'signing potential but actually getting pap' policy.

I think Kenneh had a wee bust up with KJ on the training ground, next thing he's offski up the road, seemingly apologised on twitter or something like that.

There was a lot of chit chat on here and elsewhere of dressing room problems, I do wonder if the bloated squad and too many youngsters coming from abroad and South hasn't worked, remember Botang having a right moan about his flat etc.

MWHIBBIES
19-02-2023, 05:35 PM

Mind you, would have been far better placed staying at Bodo/Glimt. Much as it’s probably been worth it financially short term, long term it would be better for his development to stay put.

His agent is doing a useless job.

He wont be getting paid any more on loan than he was before, and hes playing even less.

Hibs should have got guarantees about playing time before loaning him anywhere.

Hibbyradge
19-02-2023, 07:04 PM
I think Kenneh had a wee bust up with KJ on the training ground, next thing he's offski up the road, seemingly apologised on twitter or something like that.

There was a lot of chit chat on here and elsewhere of dressing room problems, I do wonder if the bloated squad and too many youngsters coming from abroad and South hasn't worked, remember Botang having a right moan about his flat etc.

Who is KJ?

Trinity Hibee
19-02-2023, 07:06 PM
Who is KJ?

Keith Jackson

Irish_Steve
19-02-2023, 07:12 PM
Who is KJ?

At least it’s not KY

Dunbar Hibee
19-02-2023, 07:13 PM

Nonsense, as per usual. Not the first time you have peddled this pish about Melkersen either

Eyrie
19-02-2023, 07:24 PM
Think Hibs were hoping for the seven figure sum and moving him along rather than game time

The seven figure sum will include various add ons which may never happen and the actual up front fee if he signs permanently will be much lower.

I suspect Sparta Rotterdam had been watching Melkerson when he was at Bodo/Glimt and are hoping that they can realise his potential better than we have.

Carheenlea
19-02-2023, 07:28 PM
Who is KJ?

I'm no Taggart but I`d assume its a slip of the key and its Lee Johnson.

Northernhibee
19-02-2023, 07:46 PM
Nonsense, as per usual. Not the first time you have peddled this pish about Melkersen either
I notice you never have anything to disprove what I’m saying, not once.

No league goals with us, getting splinters in his backside over in Rotterdam. He’s been an awful waste of money.

Theres no issue with attitude or application with him, he’s just only succeeded at a level much lower than Hibs and isn’t strong enough for this league nor clever enough to work around that. No malice towards him, he’s just not near the levels required.

1875Sean
19-02-2023, 07:57 PM
The seven figure sum will include various add ons which may never happen and the actual up front fee if he signs permanently will be much lower.

I suspect Sparta Rotterdam had been watching Melkerson when he was at Bodo/Glimt and are hoping that they can realise his potential better than we have.

Yeah aware of that but taking everything into account if we can get back even what we paid for him Hibs would bite your hand off

J-C
19-02-2023, 08:26 PM
Who is KJ?

LJ, my fat fingers :greengrin

Since452
19-02-2023, 08:32 PM
Id be very surprised if Melkersen plays for Hibs again. Sold or another loan in the summer.

DH1875
19-02-2023, 09:30 PM
Thought he had been out injured 🤔.

JDT
19-02-2023, 10:33 PM
I was surprised when we signed him and Hague when we had Steven Bradley on our books who looked/looks better than both

Iain G
19-02-2023, 11:56 PM
I was surprised when we signed him and Hague when we had Steven Bradley on our books who looked/looks better than both

You were surprised we signed a centre forward as we had a young untried winger on our books? 🤷

StarMan10
20-02-2023, 12:58 AM
The loan was more about Sparta having a look at him before potentially signing him permanently in the summer.

The lad doesn’t turn 21 until December, so if he’s back in the summer hopefully he can kick on, as there definitely been flashes of ability albeit without anything close to consistency.

southern hibby
20-02-2023, 06:15 AM
I personally hope he comes back. If you look at the goals he scored against Motherwell and was playing him in that position against Kili then I think he would have scored.

INFACT with a run of games I think he would start to show what he is capable off and we would Benefit from it.

GGTTH

JDT
20-02-2023, 06:47 AM
You were surprised we signed a centre forward as we had a young untried winger on our books? 🤷

I'm surprised we signed a young striker for for the amount of money we did and then played him out wide in a front 3 most of the time where Bradley probably would've been played. I'm not saying Bradley is top notch but has the money we spent on the two Norwegians been worth it when we have youth players who could've done just as good.

Hibernian Verse
20-02-2023, 07:04 AM
I personally hope he comes back. If you look at the goals he scored against Motherwell and was playing him in that position against Kili then I think he would have scored.

INFACT with a run of games I think he would start to show what he is capable off and we would Benefit from it.

GGTTH

We don't have the luxury of giving players a run of games in the hope they score a goal or two. Hoppe has already come in and scored, so there's no chance Melks was playing in front of him, Nisbet, Kuka when back, Youan, McGeady pre injury etc etc.

Hibernian Verse
20-02-2023, 07:06 AM
I'm surprised we signed a young striker for for the amount of money we did and then played him out wide in a front 3 most of the time where Bradley probably would've been played. I'm not saying Bradley is top notch but has the money we spent on the two Norwegians been worth it when we have youth players who could've done just as good.

I think you've perfectly highlighted why we can't go through managers like we have done. Melkersen might have suited what Maloney wanted over a 2-3 year period from players but he doesn't suit LJs style of 4-3-3.

CapitalGreen
20-02-2023, 07:14 AM
We don't have the luxury of giving players a run of games in the hope they score a goal or two. Hoppe has already come in and scored, so there's no chance Melks was playing in front of him, Nisbet, Kuka when back, Youan, McGeady pre injury etc etc.

There is a strong likelihood that none of Nisbet, Kuka, Youan, Hoppe or McGeady will be here next season.

Since452
20-02-2023, 07:45 AM
There is a strong likelihood that none of Nisbet, Kuka, Youan, Hoppe or McGeady will be here next season.

Surely Youan will be?

Since452
20-02-2023, 07:49 AM

GGTTH

That's the issue. Basing his ability on two goals against Motherwell a year ago. It's looking increasingly likely that was a bit of a fluke. Bit of the Tony Watt against Barca syndrome kicking in with Melkersen.

Winston Ingram
20-02-2023, 10:21 AM
Surely Youan will be?

We'll have to buy him and I believe that we have the option to buy clause. Not sure how much it is. I've seen £150k to £700k. If it's £150k I'd expect he will be. If it's £700k no chance.

Donegal Hibby
20-02-2023, 10:46 AM
Surely Youan will be?
We have a option to buy him so I'd imagine the fee has been discussed between clubs. His transfer market value awhile back was about £700,000 which is a lot of money for Hibs though even at that he would be a good investment if it's that high as the guy is simply a quality player who we would eventually make a profit from imo .

Iain G
20-02-2023, 10:56 AM

It's never been confirmed what we paid for Melkersen anywhere beyond some speculation. And when we brough him in he did play though the middle, it's LJ who has played him more wide.

Hibernian Verse
20-02-2023, 11:16 AM

But they are here now.

Hibernian Verse
20-02-2023, 11:17 AM
We'll have to buy him and I believe that we have the option to buy clause. Not sure how much it is. I've seen £150k to £700k. If it's £150k I'd expect he will be. If it's £700k no chance.

It's supposedly 750k. It's certainly not the low end.

The days of buying quality for 150k are over.

KWJ
20-02-2023, 11:27 AM
I was under the impression it was a high fee for the option to buy Youan. You also need him to want to come and other offers not being on the table.

I'd be delighted, but surprised if he's here next season.

I don't mind paying a bit of dosh to sign promising players from Europe or further afield but we do need to have a better plan in place to find their pathway into the team be it immediately or after being loaned out or played in youth teams. It's never going to work all the time but you only a small percentage to work out to make it worthwhile.

Johnson said in the recent pods that we perhaps didn't have the right setup to let these foreign players come in and flourish straight away and that's why it's taken Youan time to show what he's got and maybe also been difficult for the others. Hopefully it's something we can solve.

I'd rather have a youth player be a dud like than a high earning first teamer like a De Graaf.

Tyler Durden
20-02-2023, 11:28 AM

I don’t think Hibs would make such a point of highlighting we have the option to buy, if it was a fee we weren’t prepared to pay.

Under Ron, I think it’s possible we would pay a £700k, on the basis we’d anticipate selling for 2/3 x more in a few years

Winston Ingram
20-02-2023, 11:50 AM
I don’t think Hibs would make such a point of highlighting we have the option to buy, if it was a fee we weren’t prepared to pay.

Under Ron, I think it’s possible we would pay a £700k, on the basis we’d anticipate selling for 2/3 x more in a few years

I think it's possible. I rate him but i just don't think he's worth that.

Northernhibee
20-02-2023, 12:15 PM
I think it's possible. I rate him but i just don't think he's worth that.
If he consistently plays like he has recently for the rest of the season he’d be worth every penny IMO. If he goes back to where he was pre WC, then not so much.

Down to him to prove he can be consistent because on form, he’s a joy to watch.

tamig
20-02-2023, 12:24 PM

I’d say the only thing that will stop us trying to sign him is if there’s other interest in him and if we can’t match those offers. He’s absolutely worth 700-750k based on his performances since the World Cup.

Unseen work
20-02-2023, 12:28 PM
I don’t think our fee for him is as high as 750k.

But let’s say it is, I could see us easily doubling that more or less straight away.

Championship teams would take a punt for 1.5 million imo

SickBoy32
20-02-2023, 12:31 PM
It's supposedly 750k. It's certainly not the low end.

The days of buying quality for 150k are over.

Think SJM and Nisbet disprove your second point, the odd gem still exists in that price range

We need to be much smarter in terms of the markets we’re shopping in going forward

southern hibby
20-02-2023, 01:19 PM

Actually think we will have to have to make the luxury of giving him a run of games. He’s our player until someone wants him and if nobody does then we either play him or loose our investment in him.

GGTTH

Since452
20-02-2023, 01:23 PM
£750k for Youan is a no brainer if that's the fee that's been agreed. Sometimes you need to speculate to accumulate. He's already worth more than that due to his form. Brilliant age too. If he continues this form next season we'd sell him for a couple million easily.

Crunchie
20-02-2023, 01:29 PM

GGTTH
That's where I'm at with him, he's young but looks to have enough about him to be given time. A bit like Campbell, who was written off by many as hot good enough.

DH1875
20-02-2023, 01:37 PM
Play Melkerson through the middle with Youan and McGeady either side of him and he would score goals.

Hibernian Verse
20-02-2023, 01:41 PM
Think SJM and Nisbet disprove your second point, the odd gem still exists in that price range

We need to be much smarter in terms of the markets we’re shopping in going forward

SJM was signed 8 years ago, Nisbet more recent at almost 3.

Hibernian Verse
20-02-2023, 01:43 PM
Actually think we will have to have to make the luxury of giving him a run of games. He’s our player until someone wants him and if nobody does then we either play him or loose our investment in him.

GGTTH

You could say the same for Tavares and he's not going to get a run of games.

It's a managers job to win the match not protect a player's potential, unrealised value.

Northernhibee
20-02-2023, 01:46 PM
Play Melkerson through the middle with Youan and McGeady either side of him and he would score goals.

Problem is, as it is just now Nisbet, Myko, Youan, McKirdy, and arguably O'Connor are ahead in the queue. Even if a couple of them leave, he's not earned a spot in the squad. In the times he's been able to play in the middle (admittedly few) he's not looked any closer to getting on the scoresheet and on a couple of occasions missed absolute sitters.

Best for all parties if he moves on.