PDA

View Full Version : Best Hibs Manager

Percy Vere
18-02-2023, 09:07 AM
Either the best or the manager you liked the most.
Obviously Stubbs is going to be up there for obvious reasons.
Yogi for just how much he loved the job.
In recent times Jack Ross as I think he did a great job turning Hibs into a consistently decent side.

ChilliEater
18-02-2023, 09:44 AM
My personal favourite was Tony Mowbray. Loved the way we played.

A Hi-Bee
18-02-2023, 09:54 AM
Still to find one. if pushed it would be between Stubbs and Jock Stein
:greengrin

Potty78
18-02-2023, 09:57 AM
In my time Mcleish and Mowbray both had good sides. Stubbs for the obvious reason and I also liked Millers team with Jackson Wright, o'Neil and crunchie🙈 the team under Collins I thought was gonna be brilliant but split up to soon!

HarpOnHibee
18-02-2023, 10:31 AM
Best in terms of overall football in my lifetime would be Tony Mowbray. Best in terms of creating the greatest Hibs moment in my life is obviously going to be Alan Stubbs.

In terms of the worst. It's a toss up between Terry Butcher and Colin Calderwood. Although Calderwood edges it for me as he quite simply didn't want to be here and was just clinging on for his big pay off.

easty
18-02-2023, 10:37 AM
McLeish and Mowbray were the best for me. Stubbs obviously gets a special mention.

Hard to see past Butcher for the worst. Fenlon up there for me tae to be fair, responsible for 2 of the worst Hibs results in my life.

Greencore
Mowbray and lennon more so the start not the end.

Edina Street
In recent times Jack Ross as I think he did a great job turning Hibs into a consistently decent side.

I was not even alive at the time, but on paper it is no contest. Jock Stein. Man was a genius. Taught Fergie everything he knew.

CentreLine
18-02-2023, 10:38 AM
1. Willie McFarlane
2. Eddie Turnbull (for three years)
3. Bob Shankly
4. Tony Mowbray
5. Allan Stubbs
That’s my top five in order of preference. I was too young to see Jock Stein as manager but (Hopefully) Lee Johnson goes to number one.

Greencore
18-02-2023, 10:38 AM
My personal favourite was Tony Mowbray. Loved the way we played.

Even when we lost to Kilmarnock his first spl game. We were smiling and excited afterwords with the style.

Crunchie
18-02-2023, 10:41 AM
Stubbsy 100%

Smartie
18-02-2023, 10:44 AM
Mowbray.

Core of young, Scottish players we’d brought through with some top quality additions of varying levels of exoticness.

Attacking football, couldn’t wait for the next game to come round, spoke in a way you could understand and relate to. His calm shrug and his “if we keep playing like that we’ll win more than we’ll lose” is up there with my favourite Hibs manager moments.

Now doing well at another club I have a fondness for, having started out at a disadvantage through being closely associated with one of their rivals. Good guys and good football will always win folk over.

Fanforlife
18-02-2023, 10:45 AM
Jock Stein would have been if hadn't jumped ship to Celtic,would probably have won the double if he had stayed until end of the season.Eddie Turnbull for producing the Turnbull Tornadoes Team,rated 3rd best in Europe at the time.

Donegal Hibby
18-02-2023, 10:51 AM
(1) Alex miller for me on the job he done at Hibs in what was the worst time in our history, his cup win for me was our greatest achievement of all time as well .

(2) Lee Johnson love the the way Hibs are playing attacking football under him and talks very well on interviews and seems a genuine nice guy as well .

Allant1981
18-02-2023, 11:03 AM
Alex mcleish for me, some of the football he had us playing when manager was unreal

Hibby70
18-02-2023, 11:11 AM
Mowbray, McLeish and Stubbs for my favourite periods watching Hibs.

Calderwood wins the opposite prize with Butcher a close second.

CL0762
18-02-2023, 11:12 AM
Probably Mowbray.

As a 13 year old watching my team play the sort of stuff I’d only ever seen on Match of the Day was incredible. That 4-4 game with Dundee was absolutely mental.

Trinity Hibee
18-02-2023, 11:14 AM
Tony Mowbray just for the way his team played. Was incredible to watch

Edina Street
18-02-2023, 11:14 AM
Alex mcleish for me, some of the football he had us playing when manager was unreal

Don't think he deserves the moniker "Judas", but made too many misjudgements to get into the best ever category for my liking. I was always disappointed with his decision at the time to release Paul Hartley and Stevie Crawford. Even I thought they had potential, and I am no football coach. He also had Marvin Andrews on trial and failed to notice his potential. Only giving Didier Agathe a two month contract was criminal.

All the above mentioned names could have made the 2000/01 season even better than it already was.

Edina Street
18-02-2023, 12:07 PM
Probably Mowbray.

As a 13 year old watching my team play the sort of stuff I’d only ever seen on Match of the Day was incredible. That 4-4 game with Dundee was absolutely mental.

During the 2004/05 season Hibernian conceeded 57 goals in 38 games.
During the 2005/06 season Hibernian conceeded 56 goals in 38 games.

Tony Mowbray had Steven Whittaker, Gary Caldwell, and David Murphy. Also Ian Murray for a time, as well as a few central midfielders well capable of defending, yet his defensive record left a lot to be desired. So for me, he fails to make the greatest of all time category based upon that. attacking wise Hibs were very exciting. However sometimes his tactics could be a bit mental, resulting in some games being more exciting than they need be, such as the 4-4 game at home to Dundee.

Since452
18-02-2023, 12:30 PM
McLeish
Mowbray
Stubbs
Ross

Yorkshire HFC
18-02-2023, 12:36 PM
The manager when I went to most games was Alex Miller - and he's probably my favourite. And he won a cup. He had loads of average seasons, some great times and some bad times - and loads of great players in his 9? years.

In these days, it didn't seem to be time to sack the manager when they lost a few games in a row - it was more a case of, well, he's the manager of the team we support, so just get on with it. It was the same with players - they seemed to stick around longer and have more of a connection with the club.

It was also before the internet. Much better days to be a fan, in my opinion.

Allant1981
18-02-2023, 12:39 PM
The manager when I went to most games was Alex Miller - and he's probably my favourite. And he won a cup. He had loads of average seasons, some great times and some bad times - and loads of great players in his 9? years.

In these days, it didn't seem to be time to sack the manager when they lost a few games in a row - it was more a case of, well, he's the manager of the team we support, so just get on with it. It was the same with players - they seemed to stick around longer and have more of a connection with the club.

It was also before the internet. Much better days to be a fan, in my opinion.

The hate he got at games near the end was getting really bad, can only imagine what it would have been like now with social media

O'Rourke3
18-02-2023, 12:41 PM
Ned Turnbull. His team were the reason I'm still on the bus to the game today. Alan Stubbs gave me my best moment.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

heretoday
18-02-2023, 01:48 PM
Jock Stein. No one else comes close. It's an abiding tragedy that he left Hibs when he did.

hibsbollah
18-02-2023, 01:53 PM
Mowbray, then Collins in second. Loved the way they played when it worked.
I liked Fenlon and desperately wanted him to succeed, but in the end despite how nice he was he just didn’t have it.

Greencore
18-02-2023, 02:12 PM
Jock Stein. No one else comes close. It's an abiding tragedy that he left Hibs when he did.

Typical celtc

makaveli1875
18-02-2023, 02:18 PM
Stubbsy . Mowbray and Mcleish were good but the were both horsed at hampden . 2 of my worst days following hibs pre 2012 were the livi final and the Hartley hat trick . Stubbsy got the Holy grail , against the Rangers just made it even sweeter .

PiemanP
18-02-2023, 03:31 PM
Interesting that Stubbs is mentioned a lot and Lennon isn’t. Stubbs did a great job at stopping the rot after relegation, and he ended the hoodoo, but we were very hot and cold over his two league campaigns (many called for his head after the Falkirk disaster). While things definitely ended on a sour note, Lennon gave us two very good seasons. He had a fantastic team but instilled real grit and a winning mentality.

In answer to the question, in my living memory Mowbray by far. Collins also a worthy mention.

Edina Street
18-02-2023, 03:57 PM
Interesting that Stubbs is mentioned a lot and Lennon isn’t. Stubbs did a great job at stopping the rot after relegation, and he ended the hoodoo, but we were very hot and cold over his two league campaigns (many called for his head after the Falkirk disaster). While things definitely ended on a sour note, Lennon gave us two very good seasons. He had a fantastic team but instilled real grit and a winning mentality.

In answer to the question, in my living memory Mowbray by far. Collins also a worthy mention.

I was absolutely delighted when we signed Neil Lennon. However, the stats would not suggest he was any better than Alan Stubbs.

During the 2014/15 season Hibernian ended with 70 points under Stubbs, and that was with Hearts and Rangers present.
During the 2015/16 season Hibernian once again ended with 70 points under Stubbs in the presence of Rangers, and got to two cup finals and won one of them.
During the 2016/17 season Neil Lennon was only able to muster 71 points, and that was without the presence of Hearts or Rangers, and we reached no cup finals under Neil Lennon.

I would therefore argue that Hibernian's great 2017/18 campaign was more about the Hibernian triangle of Dylan McGeouch, John McGinn and Scott Allan, than Neil Lennon. And this was a triangle largely put together by Alan Stubbs. Neil Lennon did do well however to swap Anthony Stokes and Simon Murray for Florian Kamberi and Jamie MaClaren. He deserves credit for that. That was a stroke of genius.

Alan Stubbs made a huge mistake when he left us for a smaller club. He was on to a good thing at Hibs.

hibeeron
18-02-2023, 04:07 PM
Eddie Turnbull gave us the Tornados and a style I loved
But I must include Willie McFarlane who sowed the seeds

makaveli1875
18-02-2023, 06:15 PM
I was absolutely delighted when we signed Neil Lennon. However, the stats would not suggest he was any better than Alan Stubbs.

During the 2014/15 season Hibernian ended with 70 points under stubbs, and that was with Hearts and Rangers present.
During the 2015/16 season Hibernian once again ended with 70 points under Stubbs in the presence of Rangers, and got to two cup finals and won one of them.
During the 2016/17 season Neil Lennon was only able to muster 71 points, and that was without the presence of Hearts or Rangers, and we reached no cup finals under Neil Lennon.

I would therefore argue that Hibernian's great 2017/18 campaign was more about the Hibernian triangle of Dylan McGeouch, John McGinn and Scott Allan, than Neil Lennon. And this was a triangle largely put together by Alan Stubbs. Neil Lennon did do well however to swap Anthony Stokes and Simon Murray for Florian Kamberi and Jamie MaClaren. He deserves credit for that. That was a stroke of genius.

Alan Stubbs made a huge mistake when he left us for a smaller club. He was on to a good thing at Hibs.

I think stubbsy did the right thing , left on a high . His work here was done and he left us with the Scottish cup , SJM and Boyle

May21/05/16
18-02-2023, 06:39 PM
Turnbull

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
19-02-2023, 07:32 AM
Early Eddie Turnbull had us playing a system where every man knew his cog in the machine

Was not a case of will Hibs win but by how many ?

Tony Mowbray for the goalden generation

Jock Stein for his knowledge and man management

GOAT Hugh Shaw

ancient hibee
19-02-2023, 03:41 PM
Hugh Shaw

Forza Fred
20-02-2023, 05:08 AM
Turnbull.

Halmyre Hibee
20-02-2023, 06:00 AM
Eddie Turnbull in my opinion.

BILLYHIBS
20-02-2023, 06:00 AM
Neil Lennon had us playing brilliant fitba the second half of that season but did not hold his nerve

Special mention for Willie MacFarlane a funny guy that built an excellent side and could spot a player ( Shades and The Flyer )

They should build a statue to Alan Stubbs outside ER holding the Scottish Cup pointing to his ‘ silver lining ‘

https://i.ibb.co/pr9KsYW/DECF934-D-01-C9-4-D6-B-8591-8-EB4-D778-A224.png (https://ibb.co/VpPChfH)

Greenio
20-02-2023, 06:09 AM
Ross

Percy Vere
20-02-2023, 09:57 AM
Neil Lennon had us playing brilliant fitba the second half of that season but did not hold his nerve

Special mention for Willie MacFarlane a funny guy that built an excellent side and could spot a player ( Shades and The Flyer )

They should build a statue to Alan Stubbs outside ER holding the Scottish Cup pointing to his ‘ silver lining ‘

https://i.ibb.co/pr9KsYW/DECF934-D-01-C9-4-D6-B-8591-8-EB4-D778-A224.png (https://ibb.co/VpPChfH)

Great idea. He ended such a long standing heartache for Hibs. Always to be remembered.

Since452
20-02-2023, 01:49 PM
For consistency in the league and going far in cups it has to be Ross. Even with his poor run the end his points per game/win ratio must be really high.

Stubbs made me enjoy watching Hibs again even if some of the results were poor. Won the Scottish Cup.

Lennon's second half of the promotion season was spectacular but before and after were iffy.

Mowbray played great football but very inconsistent.

McLeish. At their best his team were very good. Had a huge budget though.

Bostonhibby
20-02-2023, 03:13 PM
Eddie Turnbull for the sheer delight of watching the team he produced and how he had them playing.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Jones28
20-02-2023, 03:15 PM
Stubbs
Collins
Mowbray
Jack Ross
Yogi gets a mention for the first few months of his tenure too.