16-02-2023, 03:32 PM
Contract extension until 2027

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/josh-campbell-signs-long-term-deal

Lago
16-02-2023, 03:37 PM
Great news:aok:

GreenGray
16-02-2023, 03:39 PM
Class, is it possible he’s the next Hanlon or Stevenson who stay for whole careers or do we think he’s a level above and may move on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edina Street
16-02-2023, 03:43 PM

That's great. He's an effective player that we don't want to lose.

JamesHFC
16-02-2023, 03:44 PM
Class, is it possible he’s the next Hanlon or Stevenson who stay for whole careers or do we think he’s a level above and may move on?

If he continues to improve he be away as soon as good offer comes in.

Hibbyradge
16-02-2023, 03:45 PM

We've already knocked back offers for him. Those offers will keep increasing if he continues to develop and we won't be able to match the salaries available to him so he'll leave.

Crunchie
16-02-2023, 03:48 PM

Superb and well deserved, well done LJ for sticking with him when things weren't going so good.

Billy Whizz
16-02-2023, 03:51 PM
Congratulations Josh, well deserved

Bostonhibby
16-02-2023, 03:52 PM
Well deserved, good move for all concerned. Greatly improved player.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Donegal Hibby
16-02-2023, 03:55 PM
We've already knocked back offers for him. Those offers will keep increasing if he continues to develop and we won't be able to match the salaries available to him so he'll leave.
Hopefully now he's signed a new contract we will get a good price for him though I hope we have him for another season or so .

Diclonius
16-02-2023, 03:56 PM
Good news.

Hibbyradge
16-02-2023, 03:59 PM
Hopefully now he's signed a new contract we will get a good price for him though I hope we have him for another season or so .

Definitely. Another 2 years performing like he has been and he'll be worth a fortune.

Just, if not more importantly, we'll have had 2 good years.

We've got Campbell, Super Josh Campbell. :greengrin

Since452
16-02-2023, 04:02 PM
Very well deserved and will ensure a good transfer fee for us. LJ and his coaching team have improved him massively.

Crunchie
16-02-2023, 04:05 PM
Very well deserved and will ensure a good transfer fee for us. LJ and his coaching team have improved him massively.
Definitely, LJ has to be given massive credit, and the coaches of course.

Donegal Hibby
16-02-2023, 04:09 PM
Well deserved, good move for all concerned. Greatly improved player.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
Have to admit I'm eating humble pie on this one . Wanting him moved on at the start of the season . Shows what can happen when a young player is given time . Well done Josh Campbell .
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/gallery-josh-campbell-best-bits

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/campbell-delighted-to-extend-hibs-stay

B.H.F.C
16-02-2023, 04:12 PM
Firstly, Campbell is much improved on last season and has earned an extension. Imagine it was as much about us starting to pay him a first team wage as anything.

Still think he’s got a bit to do to be a multi million pound midfielder. I know we’ve had a bid but I think he’ll need to find greater consistency for us to get the type of bids being predicted.

As much as anything we still need to get the balance of the midfield right this summer to get the best out of him (and others).

JohnM1875
16-02-2023, 04:33 PM
Honestly chuffed for him. Been my player of the year so far and think a new contract is thoroughly deserved.

Crazy what can change in a year eh!

Carheenlea
16-02-2023, 04:51 PM
Excellent news. A player who has made huge improvement, particularly by him playing in his most effective position and I’m sure he will continue to improve and be a key member of the squad.

Few would have predicted this at the start of the season, but I think he’ll be awarded with our player of the year at the seasons end.

GreenGray
16-02-2023, 04:56 PM

I knew we’d knocked back Wigan. Suppose it was more wishful thinking, I do wonder if he hits a ceiling any time soon we could see him stay at hibs.

The Modfather
16-02-2023, 04:58 PM
I’m still not fully convinced by Campbell, but he scores goals and affects games so a new contract is well deserved. He’s still raw in a lot of areas but he is effective and hopefully still got some improvement in him. Think he’s suited to Scottish football.

Jeggo, Campbell and a new midfielder to compliment each and we’re slowly moving in the right direction.

Hibbyradge
16-02-2023, 04:59 PM
I knew we’d knocked back Wigan. Suppose it was more wishful thinking, I do wonder if he hits a ceiling any time soon we could see him stay at hibs.

That would be disappoint me. I hope he keeps improving, brings us some success, becomes a real fans' favourite and leaves with our best wishes, just like McGinn.

Baldy Foghorn
16-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Delighted for him, thoroughly deserved

Hibees1973
16-02-2023, 05:39 PM
No doubt he has improved this season.

Up to the coaching team and Campbell to become one who cannot be dropped and the chance to get a sizeable transfer fee in a couple of years.

HoboHarry
16-02-2023, 05:39 PM
Probably a decent pay raise for him and Hibs don't lose out on a transfer fee if/when a bid comes along. Excellent stuff from both parties.

B.H.F.C
16-02-2023, 05:48 PM
I’m still not fully convinced by Campbell, but he scores goals and affects games so a new contract is well deserved. He’s still raw in a lot of areas but he is effective and hopefully still got some improvement in him. Think he’s suited to Scottish football.

Jeggo, Campbell and a new midfielder to compliment each and we’re slowly moving in the right direction.

Last sentence is the important bit for me. We need to get the balance of the midfield right this summer. Jeggo, or a Jeggo type player. A Campbell or Newell (not both) and then a creative type ahead of them. Campbell’s numbers look decent but I think he’s more the box to box type than anything else.

Ronniekirk
16-02-2023, 05:56 PM
Happy with this Player with a great engine and gives his all Top scoring midfielder

Greencore
16-02-2023, 05:59 PM
For me he has shown enough quality to be given a free pass for a bad game or 5. He's still young and getting better with every game. He will be our captain in 2 years. Fantastic news for the club.

Donegal Hibby
16-02-2023, 06:11 PM
Think the manager and his coaching staff deserve some credit as well what a improvement in Josh Campbell from last year . Think it was 1 goal he got in something like 35 games for us last year , 8 in 29 this year so far .

JimBHibees
16-02-2023, 06:12 PM
Great news had a great season

Scottie
16-02-2023, 06:16 PM
Brilliant news for Josh & the club. The hard work he's putting in is paying dividends. Well done young man :aok:

GreenGray
16-02-2023, 06:36 PM
That would be disappoint me. I hope he keeps improving, brings us some success, becomes a real fans' favourite and leaves with our best wishes, just like McGinn.

McGinn wasn’t one of our own though but I get your point!

I’d be happy for him to keep playing like he has been and stay at us forever. But I think the days of players staying at one club for their career are over.

Stevie Reid
16-02-2023, 07:08 PM
Very pleased with this, become a very important player for us this season. Scored a decent number already, and will get more - gets himself in good positions, and always gets a good attempt on goal when the opportunity presents itself, with either foot too.

If he carries on improving at the rate he has been this season, he’ll be an excellent midfielder.

Eyrie
16-02-2023, 07:14 PM
This time last year I'd have thought a new deal was a waste of money, but Campbell thoroughly deserves it for how well he's playing now.

tonyrougier123
16-02-2023, 07:20 PM
Type of player you build around,busy hard working, some exquisite link play,likes to arrive in the box and has goals in him.
Potential was always there,showing it off regularly and he’s a hibby with a good positive attitude and most importantly wants to be here for the long haul.
Future captain? I think so.
Well done Josh Well deserved.

GreenNWhiteArmy
16-02-2023, 07:21 PM
Huge credit to josh for his application and performances

Also to Lee and his team as it's largely been under them that his performances have gone up a notch

3pm
16-02-2023, 07:36 PM
Well done Josh.

The Harp
16-02-2023, 07:53 PM
Great piece of business by the club. Looking forward to seeing Josh develop into an even better player for us in the next few years.

Don Giovanni
16-02-2023, 08:38 PM
Good news and well deserved.

Think he's kicked on this season. Not just the goals, I think his overall play has improved and he's having more influence in games. Never lacking in effort.

lyonhibs
16-02-2023, 08:39 PM
Definitely a sage decision/investment after his form in the past few months. Needs the right players around him, we shouldn't be expecting him to either a) create something from nothing or b) be responsible for the defensive donkey work. Definitely better B2B getting on the end of things

Glory Lurker
16-02-2023, 08:40 PM
Great news.

Donegal Hibby
16-02-2023, 08:45 PM
Great to see one of our own show commitment and loyalty to our football club by signing a new contract . Think the current management team will improve him even further . Win , win situation . Well done Josh :not worth

Since452
17-02-2023, 08:06 AM
Great to see one of our own show commitment and loyalty to our football club by signing a new contract . Think the current management team will improve him even further . Win , win situation . Well done Josh :not worth

:greengrin

He's here!
17-02-2023, 08:13 AM
It's heartening to see how a player who took a lot of flak can turn the doubters around. Credit too to the manager for getting the best out of him.

EdinMike
17-02-2023, 08:15 AM
He’s up there for Player of the Season, good amount of goal and assists. Hopefully the new contract will inspire him to kick in and up another gear !

Since452
17-02-2023, 08:33 AM
He’s up there for Player of the Season, good amount of goal and assists. Hopefully the new contract will inspire him to kick in and up another gear !

Right now he's definitely my POY. Would have been between him and Rocky but his injury has edged Josh ahead. Both brought on massively by Lee Johnson imo. Could never have imagined saying that last season.

Mon Dieu4
17-02-2023, 08:41 AM
Fully deserved and proved a lot of people, me included wrong, under previous managers I thought he just ran about a lot and didn't offer much else, LJ playing him further forward has allowed him to kick on and be an integral part of the team and just what we needed

Dalianwanda
17-02-2023, 09:40 AM
It's heartening to see how a player who took a lot of flak can turn the doubters around. Credit too to the manager for getting the best out of him.

Just thinking that, I love stories like this....

hibsbollah
17-02-2023, 09:42 AM
Fully deserved and proved a lot of people, me included wrong, under previous managers I thought he just ran about a lot and didn't offer much else, LJ playing him further forward has allowed him to kick on and be an integral part of the team and just what we needed

One thing I like about Johnson is he isn’t afraid to take risks with his formations and lineups, bringing Hendo on the other week, moving Campbell, the right back carousel etc, even if it’s not apparent to us why he’s doing it. Sometimes I have to accept that I haven’t seen the players at training all week like he has and that he does want he thinks is best for the team to win :agree:

theonlywayisup
17-02-2023, 11:12 AM
loanheadhibby must be furious with this news. He couldn't stop himself from criticising Campbell even after his good start to the season.

No doubt he'll be along soon to tell us Campbell's not good enough.

theonlywayisup
17-02-2023, 11:19 AM
Worth another view Highlights: Hibernian 6 Aberdeen 0 | cinch Premiership - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvtzFZaHtC0)

How good was Josh Campbell?

NAE NOOKIE
17-02-2023, 11:40 AM
In a perverse way there's nothing better than a player who proves you wrong and Josh Campbell has done that this season.

In a way he has many of the qualities of Lewis Stevenson and I can't think of a higher compliment, might not be a pretty footballer, but he is never ever a passenger, even in games where he isn't at his best. Fast becoming the sort of player every club needs to enable the silky guys, if we ever get any, to play and the fact he scores goals is a massive bonus.

His header against Aberdeen remains my favourite goal of the season, an absolute beauty ..... well done on the new contract Josh thoroughly deserved :aok:

hibsbollah
17-02-2023, 12:13 PM
Worth another view Highlights: Hibernian 6 Aberdeen 0 | cinch Premiership - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvtzFZaHtC0)

How good was Josh Campbell?

Hat trick, assists, goal saving tackle.

Zemmama against Dundee Utd, Stokes in the cup final, Conrad in the semi-level good :aok:

Donegal Hibby
17-02-2023, 04:20 PM
Keeps playing the way he is and scoring goals I think he should get a call up .
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/josh-campbell-keen-to-start-testing-the-water-with-scotland-after-signing-new-hibs-deal-4031861

17-02-2023, 04:51 PM
loanheadhibby must be furious with this news. He couldn't stop himself from criticising Campbell even after his good start to the season.

He won't. Well not as loanheadhibby.

https://i.ibb.co/pKhgzNb/Screenshot-20230217-174932-Chrome.jpg (https://ibb.co/3FRwNV4)

Jim44
17-02-2023, 06:11 PM
If he continues to improve he be away as soon as good offer comes in.

Let’s hope he doesn’t improve in that case.:rolleyes:

Onceinawhile
17-02-2023, 08:31 PM
Needs to start scoring against teams who play below the forth though.

5 goals vs Aberdeen is some stat.

Since452
17-02-2023, 08:33 PM
Best home grown player we've produced in ages.

Hibbyradge
17-02-2023, 08:42 PM

He won't be. :wink:

Onceinawhile
17-02-2023, 08:53 PM
Best home grown player we've produced in ages.

He's not the best home grown player whose played for us this season. (Porto)

basehibby
18-02-2023, 01:27 AM
Great news - nice to see Hibs doubling down on what has turned out to be a great decision to give Josh a 4 year contract in the first place!

Some of us were critical of the deal at the time - I had some doubts myself as 4 years is quite a commitment and Josh had made the odd gaffe in his early appearances while always looking lively. As I understand it, this is a two year etension to that deal with improved terms which Josh has 100% earned - brilliant effort this season with a confidence in front of goal most strikers would die for!

basehibby
18-02-2023, 01:40 AM
He's not the best home grown player whose played for us this season. (Porto)

Maybe or maybe not - Josh's goal and assist contributions this season - as well as willingness to put in a shift anywhere on the park - have had just as much impact on our season so far as our erstwhile Hibee and now Watford hero Porto (and good luck to him by the way - watching his every move) and there's lots more time for Josh to improve on that - the King is dead - long live the King!

theonlywayisup
18-02-2023, 05:59 AM
He won't. Well not as loanheadhibby.

https://i.ibb.co/pKhgzNb/Screenshot-20230217-174932-Chrome.jpg (https://ibb.co/3FRwNV4)

He won't be. :wink:

Yes, I know. I know that he's "left by mutual consent". But, he'll be back!

His blinded negativity towards Campbell was beginning to be almost stalker like, repeatedly boring.

Stubbsy90+2
18-02-2023, 07:28 AM
Maybe or maybe not - Josh's goal and assist contributions this season - as well as willingness to put in a shift anywhere on the park - have had just as much impact on our season so far as our erstwhile Hibee and now Watford hero Porto (and good luck to him by the way - watching his every move) and there's lots more time for Josh to improve on that - the King is dead - long live the King!

:agree:

I was a huge critic of Campbell last season but his performances this season have been well ahead of Porteous’ imo.

Donegal Hibby
18-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Another good performance by Campbell today , puts in a great shift for the team.

theonlywayisup
19-02-2023, 06:30 AM
I was watching Campbell yesterday and the thing that he impressed me with him was that he seems to have taken over that role as the leader on the pitch. It was he who was encouraging and directing his team-mates. He'll be the next Captain, when Marshall gives up the role.

The Spaceman
19-02-2023, 07:06 AM
Really, really impressed by Josh Campbell’s rise this season. He’s everywhere and very versatile. Glad we got him to sign on until 2027 - he will be (and already is) a key player for us. Future Captain material.

LustForLeith
19-02-2023, 07:21 AM
Delighted for him. I’m sure he’s mentioned he felt anxious playing at Easter Road because of the reception he got. Apologies if that’s not the actual case

I know there’s a need and desire amounts fans to buy more players. Also good to keep the decent ones we’ve got. And this season Josh has been the best

Smartie
19-02-2023, 09:28 AM
It’s been pretty humbling watching his rise to become an important part of our side.

When there’s a young lad coming through you’re always rooting for them to do well but I don’t think I was alone in thinking that Josh was just a little bit short on the quality required to make it as a regular at Hibs.

Managers seemed to love him though and with a bit of patience and perseverance nobody can say he doesn’t merit his place in the team, in fact his skill set is fairly fundamental to the way we play.

I’m delighted for him.