PDA

View Full Version : Any referees on here? If so, why do you do it?

He's here!
14-02-2023, 11:22 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64639520

I've always wondered how there are enough folk available - and, more remarkably, willing - to ref what must be thousands of football matches across the nation every week.

Hibbyradge
14-02-2023, 11:28 PM
It's to satiate their compulsive desire to be corrupt.

Or summat like that.

Wilson
14-02-2023, 11:58 PM
Those who can, do (play football). Those who can't, ref.

NAE NOOKIE
15-02-2023, 12:46 AM
There's gonna be a lot of sarcastic and downright horrible answers on this thread, but for my part I have the utmost respect for folk prepared to referee fitba matches, in the end if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have a game. Though I have to say I especially don't get why anybody east of Motherwell bothers considering the SFA feel so few of them ever become good enough to referee in our top two divisions.

Anyway here's to the refs, thanks for bothering .......... even if you are blind and useless :greengrin

Devonhibs
15-02-2023, 06:29 AM
Yeah, I do it, as the youth league my son plays in cannot function with so few people willing to do their best and avoid being called corrupt, useless and 'only doing it cause they can't play' etc. About 30% of the games go uncovered. Pre-season I was mentoring a 14 yr who had just qualified and was doing his first u13 when a coach came onto the pitch and called him a Fxxx idiot. Most youngsters give up after a few months. Quite sad really.

hibee316
15-02-2023, 06:38 AM

And here lies the problem...

Viva_Palmeiras
15-02-2023, 06:55 AM
Why is football so different (generally speaking) when it comes to the interactions with refs in comparison with rugby?

The rugby refs seem to talk players through the game explain and take no nonesense.
Starts from an early age.

I suppose many of the refs are ex-players.

Folks may say respect Is earned but really unless you’re reputation precedes you (maybe where the SPFL comes unstuck) respect should be a given.

seems to me in tolerating ****ty behaviour football has created a monster.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-02-2023, 06:57 AM
Sean Murdoch our former keeper is making his way up the ranks and posts on his games on a Twitter.

OldEast
15-02-2023, 06:59 AM
Why is football so different (generally speaking) when it comes to the interactions with refs in comparison with rugby?

The rugby refs seem to talk players through the game explain and take no nonesense.

Folks may say respect Is earned but really unless you’re reputation precedes you (maybe where the SPFL comes unstuck) respect should be a given.

From an early age you're told any disrespect to the ref and your whole team is punished by a 10 yard advantage to the opposition. A really easy rule football could bring in.

Hibernian Verse
15-02-2023, 07:05 AM

You get sent off in youth rugby for any bad dissent towards the ref. Apparently even a loud "**** sake" when they make blatant errors lands you on the bench...from experience :greengrin

A sin bin system in football for dissent would quash it within a few months.

Addition: Look at the way Baldwin faced up the lino at Ross County, shouting and swearing at him only to be allowed to carry on as if nothing happened.

Just_Jimmy
15-02-2023, 07:11 AM
From an early age you're told any disrespect to the ref and your whole team is punished by a 10 yard advantage to the opposition. A really easy rule football could bring in.Yeah, but yardage in rugby matters more than football.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
15-02-2023, 07:23 AM
I’ve got a lot of respect for the majority of refs. Abusing the referee is wrong and should be clamped down on, hard.

It should also be said that the state of refereeing in our top flight, the selection of referees and their geographical location, and the impartiality of our top flight refs absolutely can and should be brought into question from experience.

Neither of those two statements should cancel the other out. Referees should not face abuse. Similarly I trust the referees that ref our game on a Sunday afternoon more than some of the refs that seem to ref a lot of games that Hibs (or other top flight teams) get against Rangers more often than not. That is however an SFA issue over any issue with an individual referee.

green day
15-02-2023, 07:30 AM
Though I have to say I especially don't get why anybody east of Motherwell bothers considering the SFA feel so few of them ever become good enough to referee in our top two divisions.

It should also be said that the state of refereeing in our top flight, the selection of referees and their geographical location, and the impartiality of our top flight refs absolutely can and should be brought into question from experience.

Neither of those two statements should cancel the other out. Referees should not face abuse. Similarly I trust the referees that ref our game on a Sunday afternoon more than some of the refs that seem to ref a lot of games that Hibs (or other top flight teams) get against Rangers more often than not. That is however an SFA issue over any issue with an individual referee.

I dont think the issues of ref abuse and the bent way Premiership refs are selected are mutually exclusive.

The SFA has made a decision only to use refs from the West of Scotland (despite there being refs from all areas on the panel), the rest of us suspect bias and call them out as "cheating bassas" at the games.

That mindset trickles down via kids and others at the match to impact the poor buggers reffing amatuer fitba.

But I am sure the SFA will just point at "society" or something like that.

hibsbollah
15-02-2023, 07:33 AM
Graham Potter was very good on this subject when asked about why he was being criticised by pundits for not getting visibly angry with the ref in the recent West Ham game…I try to be careful not to get into these discussions through the media,” Potter said. “Of course I get angry. I am a human being, just like you. I just choose to conduct myself in a way that I think is right on the side [of the pitch]. The same media talk about wanting me to be more angry but then run stories about problems in grassroots football and don’t see the connection.

“That’s not to say that we don’t all lose our temper, because we do. It’s an emotional thing. At the same time, I think I have a responsibility to myself, Chelsea and the game to act in a responsible way for me. For me, not anyone else; for me.

“If you think you can start a coaching career, not in the Premier League, but Northern Counties Division One and get to this point now, as the Chelsea manager in the Champions League, without getting angry or through always being nice, I would suggest you don’t know anything about anything.”

Smartie
15-02-2023, 07:37 AM
One thing I would say is that a year or so ago I went along to some of my nephew’s games (he was 13 on Monday).

The whole thing seems to be much better managed than it used to be - by way of parents shouting, either at players, coaches or the ref.

Football is football so the games didn’t pass without the odd flashpoint but it seemed much more sanitised than I remember, or from what I’ve often heard. Tbh I was actually really impressed by so much about it - the standard of play, the spirit of the game and much more.

Maybe it will get a bit better as that generation comes through?

Unseen work
15-02-2023, 07:50 AM
I don’t do it but I think the main answer for a lot would be money.

Earn decent money for a couple of hours out your week and loads of oppertunity for progression.

A mate of mine is a linesman in the top flight and absolutely loved it;

Very good salary per game
Travel/accommodation
Oppertunity to go abroad with uefa and experience other countries and cultures
Oppertunity to see football stadiums in areas you wouldn’t normally and see players you grew up supporting.

I was close, very close. But the idea of starting out on a Sunday getting dogs abuse in the pouring rain was enough to put me off 🤣

Hillsidehibby
15-02-2023, 07:57 AM
I remember speaking to a linesman and he told me that he got hit on the back of the head with a pair of glasses thrown from the old East terracing. I don’t know why anyone would want the abuse no matter what decision you make.

He's here!
15-02-2023, 08:03 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64644440

Scotland is losing as many referees as it trains.

CockneyRebel
15-02-2023, 08:49 AM
Graham Potter was very good on this subject when asked about why he was being criticised by pundits for not getting visibly angry with the ref in the recent West Ham game…I try to be careful not to get into these discussions through the media,” Potter said. “Of course I get angry. I am a human being, just like you. I just choose to conduct myself in a way that I think is right on the side [of the pitch]. The same media talk about wanting me to be more angry but then run stories about problems in grassroots football and don’t see the connection.

“That’s not to say that we don’t all lose our temper, because we do. It’s an emotional thing. At the same time, I think I have a responsibility to myself, Chelsea and the game to act in a responsible way for me. For me, not anyone else; for me.

“If you think you can start a coaching career, not in the Premier League, but Northern Counties Division One and get to this point now, as the Chelsea manager in the Champions League, without getting angry or through always being nice, I would suggest you don’t know anything about anything.”

Well said Potter!

CockneyRebel
15-02-2023, 08:51 AM
Yeah, but yardage in rugby matters more than football.

IMO nothing in Rugby matters more than football. :greengrin

Stubbsy90+2
15-02-2023, 10:06 AM
Whilst I would agree refs shouldn’t get the abuse they do there’s also a hell of a lot of them with a stinking attitude, even at pro level, so to an extent they don’t help matters.

Victor
15-02-2023, 10:17 AM
I think Rugby Union have got it right and referees explaining their decision is the way forward. I also believe that linesmen and the 4th official have to take a more active role in refereeing a match. Look at the number of umpires they have for an NFL match, all throwing their ‘flags’ onto the pitch when they see something wrong. Contrast that with the inactivity of some linesman who see blatant fouls in front of them, but fail to raise their flags. They shouldn’t be waiting for VAR to get involved.

MartinfaePorty
15-02-2023, 12:37 PM
I used to work with a guy who, until about 3-4 years ago, was a Grade 1 Assistant Ref. He was a bit full of himself, but was happy to take time out to explain decisions and the laws of the game, and gave us a few insights into what the SFA and refs had talked about after the weekend fixtures, which I found very helpful and informative. He then made an absolute howler in a Championship game that was shown on social media ad naseum and we gently ribbed him a bit for it, but I think he only got a suspension by the SFA. He then made another and that was it (not sure if he resigned or was sacked, as he got another job outside of my employer not long after). Felt a bit sorry for him, but they were really bad errors (I'll save him the embarrassment by not giving details).

brog
15-02-2023, 02:20 PM

Or, as I and many others did, played until I had to retire through injury, then took a refereeing badge. I was persuaded to do it by a relative but I enjoyed it for 2 to 3 seasons. I had to stop when I began to travel much more frequently with my job.

HoboHarry
15-02-2023, 02:30 PM
Yeah, but yardage in rugby matters more than football.

It would matter a great deal if a free kick 22 yards out was suddenly pushed forward 10 and became a penalty kick, self policing would begin immediately.

lyonhibs
15-02-2023, 02:36 PM
No ref, no game. Something that some players and spectators at all levels of football would do well to remember sometimes

Silky
15-02-2023, 03:08 PM
Whilst I would agree refs shouldn’t get the abuse they do there’s also a hell of a lot of them with a stinking attitude, even at pro level, so to an extent they don’t help matters.

Same could be said for players and fans!

JamesHFC
15-02-2023, 03:49 PM
Sean Murdoch our former keeper is making his way up the ranks and posts on his games on a Twitter.

I liked Sean, he was great with the fans.

J-C
15-02-2023, 04:47 PM
From an early age you're told any disrespect to the ref and your whole team is punished by a 10 yard advantage to the opposition. A really easy rule football could bring in.

We called the ref sir in rugby, they were usually PE teachers, so you had to show respect.

Silky
15-02-2023, 05:02 PM
We called the ref sir in rugby, they were usually PE teachers, so you had to show respect.

That must be how the Rangers players address Nick Walsh!

HoboHarry
15-02-2023, 05:22 PM
That must be how the Rangers players address Nick Walsh!

Brother Walsh I'd have thought....

JimBHibees
15-02-2023, 05:30 PM

That is a brilliant comment from Potter. Lot of respect for him.

Slim Shady
16-02-2023, 12:01 PM

I've always wondered how there are enough folk available - and, more remarkably, willing - to ref what must be thousands of football matches across the nation every week.

Ex Ref - At Amateur, what was Juniors, East of Scotland, Lowland and Senior Football.

I used to ask myself the same question - but its very rewarding and not meaning financially.

Slim Shady
16-02-2023, 12:05 PM
I don’t do it but I think the main answer for a lot would be money.

Earn decent money for a couple of hours out your week and loads of oppertunity for progression.

A mate of mine is a linesman in the top flight and absolutely loved it;

Very good salary per game
Travel/accommodation
Oppertunity to go abroad with uefa and experience other countries and cultures
Oppertunity to see football stadiums in areas you wouldn’t normally and see players you grew up supporting.

I was close, very close. But the idea of starting out on a Sunday getting dogs abuse in the pouring rain was enough to put me off 🤣

The money can be rewarding but you've got to put in a lot of effort if you want be on the Senior List.
Its not always very good salary - my first match at Ibrox, 50,000 fans, live on Sky Sports - £75

Dont always get paid travel. Accomodation is very limited.

Slim Shady
16-02-2023, 12:08 PM

Simple answer here is its down to governing body.

There is no deterent for abusing referees. Yes you can report them - very little happens, so then it becomes - why should I bother.

I've seen referees, who've reported abuse from teams officials / players being asked to reconsider their report and remove it.

Edina Street
16-02-2023, 12:23 PM

When I was a boy I always wanted to be a professional footballer, especially with Hibs. However when I reached sixteen and it had became apparent that I was never going to make it, and I was still without employment, I came across an advert from the SFA calling out for applicants to apply for a refereeing training course. I applied for it for no other reason than football was my main area of expertise and I had not yet found my career path, so it seemed a no brainer that I should apply for it. In the meantime I volunteered to be a linesman for a railway match that my friend was refereeing, and I was made to think twice about whether or not refereeing was for me or not. Basically, one of the teams scored a goal and the other team were crying out for me to put my flag up for offside, but I thought the player was onside so I kept my flag down and my friend awarded the goal. However I had eleven players all hurling abuse at me, someone even shouted "someone should throw a brick at you" and I admit I was glad when the game finished without me having to make any other crucial decisions as I was beginning to worry that I might freeze. I think my friend had frozen a bit too, because he just stood there and allowed it. I never did get a response from the SFA anyway.

Greenbeard
17-02-2023, 09:54 AM
One thing I would say is that a year or so ago I went along to some of my nephew’s games (he was 13 on Monday).

The whole thing seems to be much better managed than it used to be - by way of parents shouting, either at players, coaches or the ref.

Football is football so the games didn’t pass without the odd flashpoint but it seemed much more sanitised than I remember, or from what I’ve often heard. Tbh I was actually really impressed by so much about it - the standard of play, the spirit of the game and much more.

Maybe it will get a bit better as that generation comes through?
As a coach in another sport I was obliged a few years back, as part of my coach licence renewal, to go through (endure would maybe be a better word) a Positive Coaching Scotland course.
It was plain for all to see, given the oh-so-obvious common-sense principles that were covered, that the whole scheme was geared towards improving things in football.
Maybe it is having an impact?