PDA

View Full Version : Man United Take - over

Donegal Hibby
14-02-2023, 02:56 PM
The Glazer family have reportedly put a Friday deadline on offers to be submitted for Manchester United , it is said they want £6 billion for them and Emir of Qatar " sheikh Tamim " is reportedly going to offer £4 billion for Utd and he already owns Paris Saint Germain through Qatar sports investment. There are rumours of other interested parties Sir Jim Radcliffe and possibly Elon musk though it looks like the first move for Utd is coming from Qatar .
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/manchester-united-man-utd-manu-ready-for-qatari-qatar-ownership-following-4bn-bid-transfers-signings-rumours-gossip-mufc

Bostonhibby
14-02-2023, 02:59 PM
English football needs a few more corrupt despots with appalling human rights records so the EPL and FA board can waive them through to show they are consistent.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
14-02-2023, 03:00 PM
How much did the Glazers pay for United?

ErinGoBraghHFC
14-02-2023, 03:05 PM
English football needs a few more corrupt despots with appalling human rights records so the EPL and FA board can waive them through to show they are consistent.

Mad how in the list of rumoured bidders Elon Musk is still the biggest ****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green day
14-02-2023, 03:06 PM
Someone else to run them into the ground.

Good, they deserve it.

overdrive
14-02-2023, 03:07 PM
If Qatar buy Man Utd, it will be interesting who they choose to enter the Champions League should they both qualify.

Haymaker
14-02-2023, 03:11 PM
If Qatar buy Man Utd, it will be interesting who they choose to enter the Champions League should they both qualify.

So long as it isn't directly owned by the same company they can have both.

I believe Red Bull transfered Salzburg to a company which it owns but isn't Red Bull to get round the rule. Something weird like that.

Bostonhibby
14-02-2023, 03:14 PM
So long as it isn't directly owned by the same company they can have both.

I believe Red Bull transfered Salzburg to a company which it owns but isn't Red Bull to get round the rule. Something weird like that.Where there's cash there's a way.

BoltonHibee
14-02-2023, 03:16 PM

Was it c. £800 million?

Onceinawhile
14-02-2023, 04:01 PM
Was it c. £800 million?

Nothing really. They made man United pay for the glazers to buy man United!

Torto7
14-02-2023, 04:06 PM
My money washers got a bigger line of credit than your money washer. Tune in to see which sheikh wins it all. The plastic league and they have the cheek to look down their noses at other leagues.

Pagan Hibernia
14-02-2023, 04:13 PM

the transaction at the time was £790 million, about 1.5 billion in today’s money.

as someone else has correctly said though, the Glazers didn’t really pay it

Donegal Hibby
14-02-2023, 04:32 PM
If the Qatar bid is successful that will be both Manchester clubs and Newcastle United owned by Arabs that will see these clubs spending a obscene amount of money probably trying to out do the other, Chelsea's already been doing this with there new American owner spending over £600 million in 4 months which makes me wonder were is it going to all end? Feels abit like it's going to go so far and then explode ! According to this the Glazer's didn't pay anywhere near £800 million for Utd .
https://news.sky.com/story/manchester-united-how-scavenger-glazers-bought-club-and-left-old-trafford-rusting-and-in-a-mess-12752952

HH81
14-02-2023, 06:25 PM
Fc United might get a few more fans is the Qatar bid goes through you'd think 🤔

Carheenlea
14-02-2023, 06:39 PM
Another nail in the coffin for football, or football as we once loved.

I find with the game now that the higher the level, the less interesting it is. Genuinely couldn't tell you who is top of the EPL, who won it last year or who won the Champions League. Football in general now just passes me by, and clubs changing hands for 6 billion quid just pushes me further away from it.

cabbageandribs1875
14-02-2023, 06:45 PM
here a Sheik
There a Sheik
Everywhere a Sheik Sheik

ian cruise
14-02-2023, 06:51 PM

As soon as they start winning things everything else will be forgotten by the majority.

Pagan Hibernia
14-02-2023, 08:51 PM

or a few less

HH81
14-02-2023, 08:59 PM
or a few less

Given they are against the Glazers surely more would be against these owners?

Bostonhibby
14-02-2023, 09:07 PM
Given they are against the Glazers surely more would be against these owners?I don't know, with a few notable exceptions Newcastle now seems to be twinned with a Wadi in a desert somewhere and many of their fans are worshipping owners with blood stained hands.

Pagan Hibernia
14-02-2023, 09:15 PM

they’ll do what fans of every club seem to be doing in this situation. Make excuses and apologies for their owners and then sit back and enjoy the riches that their new oil barons bring them.

the battle for the soul of that club was fought and lost 18 years ago. I lived in Manchester then and I can tell you the arguments resulting from the glazer takeover in pubs and offices went on for months. That a couple of thousand of them decided to turn their backs on Ronaldo and Rooney to join the North West whatever league with FC United was a principled stand worthy of respect (and having been to a couple of their early games at gigg lane they were certainly on to a good thing), but the vast vast majority held their noses and handed their cash over to the glazers. It’s true that protests have periodically broken out at old Trafford since then but it’s significant that they went very quiet around that 2007-13 period when united were dominating English football again and reaching champions league finals.

if the Qataris take over, most of them will say good riddance to the glazers and think well if everyone else is going down the Middle East route what’s the big deal.

To hell with the lot of them I say. Like someone else said earlier, I can’t remember from one year to the next who wins the league down there, and I’ve long since lost any interest in Champions league football

bingo70
14-02-2023, 09:23 PM
Another nail in the coffin for football, or football as we once loved.

I find with the game now that the higher the level, the less interesting it is. Genuinely couldn't tell you who is top of the EPL, who won it last year or who won the Champions League. Football in general now just passes me by, and clubs changing hands for 6 billion quid just pushes me further away from it.

Apparently there was Champions league football on tonight. Wouldn’t even have crossed my mind to watch it and no idea what the scores were.

Top level football, including the premiership is finished for me in terms of interest. I’ll still probably use it as a tourist destination and an event to go to now and again but it’s not like proper football now for me.

NAE NOOKIE
14-02-2023, 10:19 PM
the transaction at the time was £790 million, about 1.5 billion in today’s money.

as someone else has correctly said though, the Glazers didn’t really pay it

Indeed. As I understand it they borrowed the money and once the club was bought that borrowing became a debt on the club's books. Overnight Man United went from financially stable to having a debt of near on a billion quid in their accounts.

How the hell a football club, or any business for that matter, can be taken over in such a way is an absolute mystery to me, it sounds insane on the face of it.

Jones28
15-02-2023, 06:34 AM
I don't know, with a few notable exceptions Newcastle now seems to be twinned with a Wadi in a desert somewhere and many of their fans are worshipping owners with blood stained hands.

On park success > morals

Up-the-slope
15-02-2023, 08:45 AM
If they get taken over by someone / some country less scrupulous than the Glaziers.. frankly it will serve then right.. I will get the popcorn in as they try to defend what they have accused City of ...:greengrin:greengrin

archie
15-02-2023, 08:55 AM
Nothing really. They made man United pay for the glazers to buy man United!

There was a real explosion in the 90s of leveraged buyouts. People like David Dein at Arsenal realised that clubs were undercapitalised and had lots of scope for borrowing. Buy the club, issue shares and borrow against the club to pay for your purchase. Opportunistic but not very principled.

Hibernia&Alba
17-02-2023, 09:04 PM
So Sheikh Jassim has bid for the club. Is he basically a front for the Qatari monarchy, and, if so, don't they already own PSG?

Ray_
17-02-2023, 09:29 PM

They are against the Glaziers, because they bought their team with a loan & then got the club [not the Glaziers] to pay the loan back, how it was ever allowed to happen is baffling.

Hibernia&Alba
17-02-2023, 09:30 PM
They are against the Glaziers, because they bought their team with a loan & then got the club [not the Glaziers] to pay back the loan back, how it was ever allowed to happen is baffling.

I might be wrong, but I don't think such a takeover is allowed now, under current financial regulations.

Ray_
17-02-2023, 09:32 PM
I might be wrong, but I don't think such a takeover is allowed now, under current financial regulations.

In all decency, it shouldn't have been allowed then.

No wonder the fans felt betrayed and have hated the Glaziers ever since.

Torto7
17-02-2023, 10:23 PM
So Sheikh Jassim has bid for the club. Is he basically a front for the Qatari monarchy, and, if so, don't they already own PSG?

Yes. They'll just use a front to hide it. The Premier League is a joke. I'll bet the government are encouraging this. Soulless crap despite all the marketing it gets.

Haymaker
18-02-2023, 05:38 AM
Yes. They'll just use a front to hide it. The Premier League is a joke. I'll bet the government are encouraging this. Soulless crap despite all the marketing it gets.So long as it is not "owned" by the same company/corporation/person it's fine by Uefa.

Red Bull moved Salzburg to a separate company that they don't "own" but control.

Sent from my SM-A426U1 using Tapatalk

Stairway 2 7
18-02-2023, 07:39 AM
Surprised this is getting the uproar that happened when the Saudi's took over Newcastle. Are Man U different amongst the establishment

A Hi-Bee
18-02-2023, 09:57 AM
Who really cares? does anyone think that the Football Industry is any cleaner or better than any other.
Does any one think that Billionaires etc are really nice people!!!