PDA

View Full Version : Ex players as neighbours

fiolex1
13-02-2023, 11:23 AM
I will kick it of: Walter Kidd lives in my street in Loanhead

Hibernian Verse
13-02-2023, 11:30 AM
Not ex, but my parents stay round the corner from Martin & Rachel Boyle.

HerbDailly
13-02-2023, 11:32 AM
I will kick it of: Walter Kidd lives in my street in LoanheadHe has a Hibs branch of the family in Larbert, I used to work beside the only Celtic one

Lago
13-02-2023, 11:32 AM
In days gone by Des Bremner stayed round the corner from me, as did John Rowbottom the ref.

BS44
13-02-2023, 11:34 AM
Josh Doig stayed next door to my Auntie Barbara. Dunno if he kept it on after the transfer.

BroxburnHibee
13-02-2023, 11:34 AM
Stokesy used to live round here.

Billy Whizz
13-02-2023, 11:37 AM
When I lived in Paisley, Dixie Deans was a close neighbour

Since452
13-02-2023, 11:40 AM
I live in SDG's garden. He doesn't know it yet. I just want to feel close to him. Does that count?

04Sauzee
13-02-2023, 11:41 AM
When Peter Cormack came back to Hibs he moved into my street, played football sometimes with his son Peter and his Daughter Donna was in my class at school.

Fuzzywuzzy
13-02-2023, 11:44 AM
Mickey weir and Brian Welsh lived round the corner and were directly across from each other

coco mc
13-02-2023, 12:07 PM
Lewis Stevenson and Kevin mcann , stayed above me at Easter road when they where breaking through .

H18 SFR
13-02-2023, 12:14 PM
We moved in August last year, one of our near neighbours is Graeme Mathie. He found it funny when our dog escaped and was running riot around the street with 4 builders who let him out and myself chasing after it. Funny in the sense that I pointed out it was an escaped dug where as he was a scapegoat. He speaks so fondly of us.

ErinGoBraghHFC
13-02-2023, 12:19 PM
Ayo Obileye used to stay below me when he was at QoS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim44
13-02-2023, 12:30 PM
My daughter’s next door neighbour is Leeann Dempster. I’ve had a few interesting chats with her.

overdrive
13-02-2023, 12:37 PM
Not directly but Paul Hanlon must be mates with the folk at the back of us as he’s often in their garden.

I used to work with SDG’s next door neighbour

I grew up next door to someone who was on Celtic books in the same vintage as McGeady. My dad said he used to see McGeady come out of the house a couple of times.

Alfiembra
13-02-2023, 12:49 PM
Jackie McNamara lived up the street from my parents house and Alex Cropley also stayed quite close to them as well. Andy Goram was a friend of my neighbour 2 doors down from where I stay now, would often see him visit.

Peanut Shaz
13-02-2023, 01:08 PM
Dirk Lehmann used to live along the road from me when was at Hibs.

Onceinawhile
13-02-2023, 01:08 PM
Not sure if he still live here, but I used to see Liam Fontaine out walking his dog fairly regularly.

Mon Dieu4
13-02-2023, 01:10 PM
Nish, used to see him walking his pet Chihuahua in the park, favourite though was Ivan, used to bump into him in the Kebab Shop, the Volley or Scotmid after games late on a Saturday night, brilliant guy

Jack
13-02-2023, 01:15 PM
George Best was given a flat at 54 Palmerston Place, I lived at 62. Met him a few times and his lovely family.

Edina Street
13-02-2023, 01:25 PM
My username is a dead give away for anyone that knows which Hibernian supporting ex footballer began his life living in it.

CockneyRebel
13-02-2023, 01:27 PM
Dirk Lehmann used to live along the road from me when was at Hibs.

I stayed in Colinton Mains for 6 years and Dirk Lehmann (aka Ron Jeremy) and his convertible mercedes stayed across the road. Did you live around there or was this an earlier/later address for him?

superfurryhibby
13-02-2023, 01:51 PM
My username is a dead give away for anyone that knows which Hibernian supporting ex footballer began his life living in it.

Maybe just tell us which ex player lived there😀

Edina Street
13-02-2023, 01:53 PM
Maybe just tell us which ex player lived there😀

Craig Dargo.

Saint Hibee
13-02-2023, 02:38 PM
My mum lives a couple of doors away from Darren MacGregor’s mum on North Fort street.

overdrive
13-02-2023, 03:09 PM
Forgot one… Yogi lived round the corner from me when I was a kid. Then he moved near enough round the corner the other way to Restalrig Road. Used to get the bus to uni from the stop outside that house. He was one of those dafties that poured boiling water over his car to de-ice it.

Logie Green
13-02-2023, 03:15 PM
Ex Jambo Jimmy Sandison used to live a few doors down from me. He’ll never be fined for smiling too often.

CropleyWasGod
13-02-2023, 03:21 PM
Think I've said this before.

The family of one particular Hibs legend (no names, but his brother posts on here :greengrin) stayed over the back from us.

One or more of the brothers were suspected of pilfering apples and strawberries from our garden. My Dad helped out at the local youth club at the time, and had a word.......

"Please, Mr. --------, we pinched your apples, but no your stawberries......!".

brog
13-02-2023, 03:39 PM
When Peter Cormack came back to Hibs he moved into my street, played football sometimes with his son Peter and his Daughter Donna was in my class at school.

When I was a kid we used to have a 'take on' with Peter and his mates in Pilrig Park. Think Peter could have played on his own and won!

Greenbeard
13-02-2023, 03:46 PM
George Best was given a flat at 54 Palmerston Place, I lived at 62. Met him a few times and his lovely family.
Saw him frequently in William Hill's in William Street, once with his good lady in tow. I was awe struck.

And at him.

cam75
13-02-2023, 04:08 PM
Darren Jackson’s mum lived above me used to see him visiting a few times,Garry O’Connor lived opposite when I was in gardener’s crescent when he was in the 1st team👍

Allant1981
13-02-2023, 04:12 PM
Liam Fontaine stayed about 4 houses from my aunt and uncle when he lived in bathgate

Crab apple
13-02-2023, 04:14 PM
Darren Jackson’s mum lived above me used to see him visiting a few times,Garry O’Connor lived opposite when I was in gardener’s crescent when he was in the 1st team👍

Used to see him regularly on a Saturday night at the Taste Good on Slateford Road. Top bloke.

HIBS NUTS
13-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Leigh griffiths lived a couple of doors down at wallyford.

Bostonhibby
13-02-2023, 04:26 PM
Alex Cropley's granny used to share a back green with us and he occasionally could be seen visiting her[emoji16]

Davie Steedman ex Hibs & Stirling Albion was a product of the same back green.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Peanut Shaz
13-02-2023, 04:53 PM
I stayed in Colinton Mains for 6 years and Dirk Lehmann (aka Ron Jeremy) and his convertible mercedes stayed across the road. Did you live around there or was this an earlier/later address for him?
Yeah, I'm Colinton Mains as well.

hibee_girl
13-02-2023, 05:26 PM
Zemamma and Benji used to live in my street.

So did Ryan McGivern, he used to park his car so badly that I hated him more for that than how bad he was on the pitch :greengrin

Walter
13-02-2023, 05:32 PM
Moved into a flat in fountainbridge and the previous occupant a Mr Lyndon Andrews appeared to have not tied up many loose ends on his departure given the amount of mail that came for him

green day
13-02-2023, 05:34 PM
Eammon Bannon used to live up the road from me when I had a flat in Blackford.

Not an ex player, but pretty sure Grant Stott was close by as well.

heidtheba
13-02-2023, 05:51 PM
When he was with Hibs, Chris Hogg was out walking his dog near his home, not far from ours. Nice bloke, we spoke about dogs. Craig Gordon walked his dog with his wee girls and patted my dog - he was also a nice bloke. Saw Steven Whittaker getting a sarnie in a local shop.

DIXIHIBS
13-02-2023, 06:07 PM
Ian Black is my neighbour...not sure if he counts!!

ShadesLongThrow
13-02-2023, 06:13 PM
Alex Cropley lived up the road from me in the early 70s. Close to Parsons Green School - remember queuing up at his door for an autograph!

Bridge hibs
13-02-2023, 06:19 PM
Ian Black is my neighbour...not sure if he counts!!Not sure about counting, I think he is a painter though

hibee_girl
13-02-2023, 06:23 PM
Alex Cropley lived up the road from me in the early 70s. Close to Parsons Green School - remember queuing up at his door for an autograph!

I went to primary school with his daughter and niece so was in his house occasionally.

Bumped into him one day in Morrisons when I was with my Grandad, he couldn't believe Alex Cropley stopped to speak to me. He was totally starstruck and jealous :greengrin

DIXIHIBS
13-02-2023, 06:31 PM
Not sure about counting, I think he is a painter though

👍😀

Edina Street
13-02-2023, 06:45 PM
Before the passing of Alex Cropley's mother or father (I can't remember which), he/she lived opposite my mother on the same estate. I used to often see Alex Cropley visiting his parent(s) in his black cab. He had a funny walk by this time due to dodgy legs.

Not long before my mother became one of his parents neighbours, he picked up a young lady and I from the Royal Infirmaries a&e department at around 5am. The girl I was with had gotten involved in a fight in a pub on Leith walk and came out second best. However looking back I am rather proud of something. Alex Cropley announced that he recognised me from the Bottom Shop (Links Tavern at bottom of Restalrig road), and my response was "oh, I don't recognise you". And I was being genuine, it was not until later when my mother moved into the estate that I realised that black cab driver was Alex Cropley. And he was a pure gentleman. He felt so sorry for the young lady I was with that he gave us a free taxi, and announced that he is going home now and was heading that way anyway.

But I am chuffed to bits that one of the Turnbull's Tornadoes recognised me without me recognising him.

Sadly Alex Cropley now has dementia, so I believe.

MKHIBEE
13-02-2023, 06:45 PM
Erich Schaedler lived in my street when I was a kid and Steven McClean’s ( not the referee) dad took over the tenancy of the house my parents lived in when they moved

Keith_M
13-02-2023, 07:03 PM
I think I mentioned this before but, when I was a kid, I lived about 100 yards away from former Hibs goalie Willy Wilson.... and fifty yards further away lived future Hibs player Gordon Hunter

When I moved to Clackmannanshire I had a cleaning business and had a contract to clean the windows at an old folks home in Dunblane, which was an owned by the Rangers goalkeeper Chris Woods (though actually run by his drop dead gorgeous wife).

Another of my customers in Bridge of Allan around the same time (though very briefly) was a hotel owned by Terry Butcher.

Do I win? :greengrin

greenlex
13-02-2023, 07:08 PM
Liam Fontaine stayed about 4 houses from my aunt and uncle when he lived in bathgate
Big man now stays in West Calder.
I was selling my house in west Calder a number of years ago and Boozys missus and young un came to vew it.

18Craig75
13-02-2023, 07:28 PM
Lived next to Peter Cormack growing up. Gentleman!

zitelli62
13-02-2023, 07:37 PM
Ex Jambo Jimmy Sandison used to live a few doors down from me. He’ll never be fined for smiling too often.

Jimmy was brought up in the next stair to me when growing up if I remember correctly he was a quiet guy then so would I if I signed for them.

Silky
13-02-2023, 08:06 PM
Forgot one… Yogi lived round the corner from me when I was a kid. Then he moved near enough round the corner the other way to Restalrig Road. Used to get the bus to uni from the stop outside that house. He was one of those dafties that poured boiling water over his car to de-ice it.

Aye. I lived in Ryehill and Yogi was at the bottom of the road. I used to play football in the street and tanned the ball in his garden a few times!

hibstag
13-02-2023, 08:42 PM
Nish, used to see him walking his pet Chihuahua in the park, favourite though was Ivan, used to bump into him in the Kebab Shop, the Volley or Scotmid after games late on a Saturday night, brilliant guy

Used to buy carry outs in the victoria wine at the bottom of the walk, always in good form

JamesHFC
13-02-2023, 09:18 PM
Chris Mueller. Also saw Stokes in a local bookies and Stack in the barbers.

Sylar
14-02-2023, 07:27 AM
Rab Douglas' parents live next door to me so I regularly see him popping in and out (less so since he took the role at County).

Dougie Imrie also stays nearby - regularly see him in and out of the gym, supermarket, walking his dog etc.

Roxyhibee
14-02-2023, 07:46 AM
Throughout the whole of the 1960’s we stayed next door to John Greigs brother and his family.

superfurryhibby
14-02-2023, 08:00 AM
Craig Dargo.

Mid 90's, young player, released but had a decent career elsewhere (Falkirk maybe)?

As I boy I lived opposite the Lawrie Reilly's pub (Bowler's Rest), on the corner of Mitchell St and Elbe St. Everyone knew who Lawrie was and he was a friendly guy, always had a word for the bairns, like me when he was going into the boozer.

Freddie Glidden, former Jambo from their great sides of the mid-late 50's. He had the post office on Grove St where my auld nana lived (early 70's). Let's say that he wasnae one for this then ten year olds attempts at banter. Big man he was too. scary guy.

Edina Street
14-02-2023, 08:17 AM
Mid 90's, young player, released but had a decent career elsewhere (Falkirk maybe)?

As I boy I lived opposite the Lawrie Reilly's pub (Bowler's Rest), on the corner of Mitchell St and Elbe St. Everyone knew who Lawrie was and he was a friendly guy, always had a word for the bairns, like me when he was going into the boozer.

Freddie Glidden, former Jambo from their great sides of the mid-late 50's. He had the post office on Grove St where my auld nana lived (early 70's). Let's say that he wasnae one for this then ten year olds attempts at banter. Big man he was too. scary guy.

Craig Dargo's ambition was to play for Hibs then Liverpool. His father Peter Dargo used to take him down south to visit the kop some Saturdays. But his career path was Hutchison Vale, Celtic (youth level), Raith Rovers, Kilmarnock, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, St Mirren, Partick Thistle, Dumbarton, Dunfermline Athletic, Berwick Rangers.

Craig did not climb as high as I had expected him to. I always suspected that Liverpool might have been a bit beyond him, but I had always fully expected to see him in a Hibs shirt.

Regarding Lawrie Reilly, I once went into the Bowlers Rest with my mate Bobby and I was stood at the bar telling Bobby that Lawrie Reilly owns this pub when an elderly short chubby barman with short grey hair piped up and said "that's right", and I turned to Bobby and said "see". It was not until I began watching youtube videos that I later realised that barman "was" Lawrie Reilly.

CockneyRebel
14-02-2023, 08:25 AM
Before the passing of Alex Cropley's mother or father (I can't remember which), he/she lived opposite my mother on the same estate. I used to often see Alex Cropley visiting his parent(s) in his black cab. He had a funny walk by this time due to dodgy legs.

Not long before my mother became one of his parents neighbours, he picked up a young lady and I from the Royal Infirmaries a&e department at around 5am. The girl I was with had gotten involved in a fight in a pub on Leith walk and came out second best. However looking back I am rather proud of something. Alex Cropley announced that he recognised me from the Bottom Shop (Links Tavern at bottom of Restalrig road), and my response was "oh, I don't recognise you". And I was being genuine, it was not until later when my mother moved into the estate that I realised that black cab driver was Alex Cropley. And he was a pure gentleman. He felt so sorry for the young lady I was with that he gave us a free taxi, and announced that he is going home now and was heading that way anyway.

But I am chuffed to bits that one of the Turnbull's Tornadoes recognised me without me recognising him.

Sadly Alex Cropley now has dementia, so I believe.

Used to start matchdays in his Easter Road pub and my wee boy used to sneak to the back and play the puggy. As he was underage to play these machines Alex would chase him around the pub with my boy laughing his head off. He gave me complimentary tickets a few times and I lifted the wee fella over the turnstyle and gave the other ticket to my father in law. Sat next to him twice when he ran a bus to Hampden and he was a gent, so easy to talk to and full of football stories. My two brothers in law (Hibbies from birth) would banter with him and we had many a good laugh. Got in his taxi a few times and he wouldn't take a fare.

Missed him when he left the pub and so, so sorry to hear he is unwell. A Hibs great and a great guy.

He's here!
14-02-2023, 08:44 AM
When I was a kid Willie Murray used to stay up the road in the same block of flats in Drylaw as a wee lady who came to ours to babysit. He kindly got the Hibs squad's autographs for me. Not a great squad in the late 70s but the signatures included George Best's.

Hiber-nation
14-02-2023, 08:54 AM
Going off track a wee bit but my workmate used to share a flat with Ralph Callachan back in the mid 70s. It would be fair to say that Ralphie wasn't exactly fussy with his choice of young ladies to bring back :greengrin

gbhibby
14-02-2023, 08:56 AM
Mickey Weir stayed over the back garden from me. Would see him practicing skills in the back garden. My dad refereed a game in which Mickey was outstanding and spoke to someone who was in charge of another boys club recommending that he should try and get him to join them. The guy said that he was too wee and would never make it.Big Mistake.

Carheenlea
14-02-2023, 08:56 AM
Robbie Neilson lives in the skip at the end of my street.

You’ll often see him shouting out the top of it about 20,000 sell outs and money spinning replays at bemused passers by, but he’s harmless enough.

WoreTheGreen
14-02-2023, 11:53 AM
Not a neighbours story but have worked in Pat Stanton last house and his present house.Also worked in L Reilly house (it actually was on the day Yogi got sacked) he gave me wee tour of his photos etc both true gentleman

Bostonhibby
14-02-2023, 12:06 PM
Going off track a wee bit but my workmate used to share a flat with Ralph Callachan back in the mid 70s. It would be fair to say that Ralphie wasn't exactly fussy with his choice of young ladies to bring back :greengrinUsed to kick a ball around occasionally with us wee laddies when he was living in the Christians Did Ralph, always been a good guy.

Brightside
14-02-2023, 12:08 PM
Paul Hanlon lives in my cellar.

HarpOnHibee
14-02-2023, 12:10 PM
Not a player himself, but Jim Baxter's son used to live next door to me over in Fife.

Bostonhibby
14-02-2023, 12:15 PM
Paul Hanlon lives in my cellar.[emoji16]I've got Graham Fyfe and Ally Scott in a big freezer in my garage but don't tell anyone.

Scouse Hibee
14-02-2023, 12:18 PM
Scott Nisbet used to live opposite when we stayed at North Gyle

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2023, 12:28 PM
Craig Dargo.

No way anyone was guessing that :greengrin

JimBHibees
17-02-2023, 07:52 PM
Paul Hanlon lives in my cellar.

Never in doubt :greengrin

Crab apple
17-02-2023, 08:11 PM
Joe Tortolano used to stay down from my Granny in Braehead in Stirling. Got me quite a few autographs back in the day.