PDA

View Full Version : Things that annoy you about modern football

LustForLeith
12-02-2023, 03:54 PM
Half and half scarfs

Folk, mainly kids, holding up cardboard signs begging for players to give them their tops

Pretty Boy
12-02-2023, 03:57 PM
The lack of a TV show of comparable quality to Gazzetta Football Italia

Zazu62
12-02-2023, 03:58 PM
Var, it’s a shambles.

Bostonhibby
Sportscene, does that format count as modern though?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

big gogs
Half and half scarfs

Folk, mainly kids, holding up cardboard signs begging for players to give them their tops
Steven craigen.

PHeffernan
12-02-2023, 04:05 PM
TV money in large nations

MartinfaePorty
12-02-2023, 04:08 PM
Scottish football coverage and scores on the BBC website getting less coverage than the likes of Spanish, Italian and English women's football. BBC spending millions on English football and pennies on the Scottish game.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Glory Lurker
12-02-2023, 04:09 PM
Var

Hibbyradge
12-02-2023, 04:10 PM
Players holding their heads as if they've been hit by a captive bolt every time an opponent's arm or hand goes anywhere near their face.

Players screaming in supposed agony when they've possibly been fouled.

Players waving for the medics when they've possibly been fouled.

:grr:

Fuzzywuzzy
12-02-2023, 04:12 PM
Diving/faking injury

Pretty Boy
12-02-2023, 04:13 PM
Contrived 'limbs'.

A group of fans going mental naturally is a joy to behold. These limbs social media sites have definitely seen people deliberately go OTT.

The hundreds of pints getting chucked about when England scored at the Euros and WC is a prime example. A few folk throwing a pint in surprise is one thing, an absolute monsoon 2 minutes after the goal is just contrived nonsense.

Mikey_1875
12-02-2023, 04:16 PM
“Socks” Can’t really even be called socks and then they will be ripped at the calves as well. Aware there are supposed benefits but annoying none the less.

Glory Lurker
12-02-2023, 04:28 PM
Constant rule changes.

FRes Hibbie
12-02-2023, 04:29 PM
Philosophies.

12-02-2023, 04:32 PM
Rsoles on social media.

Gatecrasher
12-02-2023, 04:33 PM
Scottish football coverage and scores on the BBC website getting less coverage than the likes of Spanish, Italian and English women's football. BBC spending millions on English football and pennies on the Scottish game.

I honestly can't navigate that BBC sport web site. I can't find scottish football page in the menu at all, I have to hope there is a scottish football story on the front page and click on the link from there.

Bridge hibs
12-02-2023, 04:41 PM
Coloured boots, snoodies and gloves, ****ing man up ffs 🫣

greenlex
12-02-2023, 04:41 PM
Everything.

Onion
12-02-2023, 04:44 PM
News headlines that don't make it clear when games, scores, signings, transfers are for women's football.

O'Rourke3
12-02-2023, 04:46 PM
Rangers

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
12-02-2023, 04:48 PM
News headlines that don't make it clear when games, scores, signings, transfers are for women's football.

They should make it clear when it's for men's football.

Gatecrasher
12-02-2023, 04:51 PM

:agree: this one is annoying.

Lendo
12-02-2023, 04:52 PM
Douglas Ross

J-C
12-02-2023, 04:56 PM
Players dropping like a sniper has shot them, rolling around holding their ankle or knee and then up sprinting around after a wee rub from the physio, or the ones that do that but get no foul and are up straight away getting on with it when 2 seconds earlier they were almost dead by a tackle.

Zazu62
12-02-2023, 04:58 PM
Contrived 'limbs'.

A group of fans going mental naturally is a joy to behold. These limbs social media sites have definitely seen people deliberately go OTT.

The hundreds of pints getting chucked about when England scored at the Euros and WC is a prime example. A few folk throwing a pint in surprise is one thing, an absolute monsoon 2 minutes after the goal is just contrived nonsense.

Wouldn’t Scotland fans be doing the exact same if we scored at the Euros or the WC 😂🤷🏼*♂️

hibby rae
12-02-2023, 05:00 PM

That must be a real struggle for you

bingo70
12-02-2023, 05:00 PM
Players holding their heads as if they've been hit by a captive bolt every time an opponent's arm or hand goes anywhere near their face.

Players covering their mouths to stop any lip readers getting a glimpse of what they’re talking about.

Ronaldo chatting to Messi I can just about get it but when you get two Ross County subs doing it I get the urge to chuck my tele out the window.

bingo70
12-02-2023, 05:02 PM
Drums and singing sections. All too forced for me.

What happened to the days of the loud radge just shouting HAAAAAIIIILLLLLL…… and everyone else just knowing to join in.

Steve20
12-02-2023, 05:04 PM
VAR
Half and half scarfs
People more interested in trying to get a goal on their phone rather than just celebrating the goal.

Pretty Boy
12-02-2023, 05:06 PM
Wouldn’t Scotland fans be doing the exact same if we scored at the Euros or the WC 😂🤷🏼*♂️

Probably. It would annoy me then as well.

Iain G
12-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Nobody has any patience, especially fans and owners, to allow people time to grow things

bingo70
12-02-2023, 05:10 PM
Nobody has any patience, especially fans and owners, to allow people time to grow things

Managers who think they’ll get time to implement long term plans without taking into account the need for short term results.

ErinGoBraghHFC
12-02-2023, 05:10 PM
Douglas Ross

Is a ****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wookie70
12-02-2023, 05:12 PM
The money players earn which is ridiculous. The cheating from players which is now so bad it is actually part of the game. The blatant cheating from Scottish referees. The handball and offside rules. Ultras. Ticket prices. Corporate seats allowing those with money to get into games loyal fans miss out on and a hundred other things.

Keith_M
12-02-2023, 05:13 PM
Not enough moustaches on players nowadays. Not like the 'good old days' of fottball...

hibsitis
12-02-2023, 05:14 PM
Players rolling about holding their shin pads.

Pretty Boy
12-02-2023, 05:14 PM
'If he had went down he would have got a penalty'.

It partially explains some of the theatrics we see. Basically excusing a referee failing to do their job properly and punishing honesty. A foul is a foul and a player shouldn't have to fall down to get it.

Pretty Boy
12-02-2023, 05:15 PM
Oh and pundits saying 'should of'.

Bostonhibby
12-02-2023, 05:22 PM
Not enough moustaches on players nowadays. Not like the 'good old days' of fottball...

26462Allowing fans into grounds who aren't wearing a proper mackintosh, their best suits, shirts and ties like on the good old days. Having a pipe at a jaunty angle whilst posing for the camera could remain optional.

Silky
12-02-2023, 05:28 PM
Managers who think they’ll get time to implement long term plans without taking into account the need for short term results.

Short termism. Clubs interviewing managers and employing them on the basis of their "plans to develop young players" or "shared long term goals" only to empty them at the slightest sound of unrest when results aren't going great. Nathan Jones just sacked after 3 months by Southampton. Like, why give managers 3, 4 year contracts when you know your going to blow the next guy's transfer budget to pay them off as soon as bums get squeaky!

Iain G
12-02-2023, 05:28 PM
Ann Budge

GreenGray
12-02-2023, 05:29 PM
VAR

Jones28
12-02-2023, 05:30 PM
Kit prices.

£50 for an infant kit is ridiculous.

Pagan Hibernia
12-02-2023, 05:31 PM
Contrived 'limbs'.

with the price of a pint these days I’m far too tight for that nonsense

Pagan Hibernia
12-02-2023, 05:37 PM
Think I’ve said the same before on a similar thread but over-elaborate long drawn out trophy presentations.

The recent World Cup Final for example. Talk about sucking all the joy out of a moment.

forget setting up the presentation stage, forget the crap awards before the main thing, forget getting the players all in the correct line for the choreography, and for the love of christ get the suits and bureaucrats away from the whole thing

just hand the team the bloody thing and let them lift it, preferably within a few minutes of the final whistle before the buzz wears off

McD
12-02-2023, 05:51 PM
Agree with much already mentioned

also…

hypocritical managers - never see their own player go over the ball with a straight leg, but will whine about a shy they think they should have got

supposedly knowledgable pundits who just speak in cliches and offer nothing in their analysis

‘professional’ fouls

how position on the pitch changes what referees do - if it’s a foul at the halfway line then it’s a foul in the box

stuff getting thrown at players from the stands

BlackSheep
12-02-2023, 05:55 PM
When players stand in front of a free kick to stop it being taken quickly and in turn refs not booking them for doing so.

Also refs calling back a quickly taken free kick when the rules specifically were changed to allow them a few seasons back to keep the game flowing.

Refs giving the drop ball to the defending team even when they didn’t have the ball when the game was stopped, simply cos it was their player that was injured!!

Shrekko
12-02-2023, 06:01 PM
Players repeatedly slapping the turf with their hands when they go down injured. It’s to give the impression that they’ve been seriously hurt when in fact they’re generally up very quickly.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-02-2023, 06:03 PM
One we can surely all agree on :

A so called “Champions League” that is anything but…

Further to that:

The corruption of FIFA and UEFA
Inept, toothless, football authorities
Glacial speed of addressing claims of corruption
Lack of focus on sustainability
Lack of a moral compass when it comes to obtaining investment/sponsorship
Lack of respect for the customers

Bridge hibs
12-02-2023, 06:03 PM
Players waving imaginary cards to get refs to book or send opponent off, classless and should be dealt with better

Pagan Hibernia
12-02-2023, 06:05 PM
48 team World Cups…

Iain G
12-02-2023, 06:06 PM

Nathan Jones got 3 months! It's just nuts

Pagan Hibernia
Players waving imaginary cards to get refs to book or send opponent off, classless and should be dealt with better

I hate seeing supporters do the square sign calling for a VAR check

jodjam
Players running on the spot before taking a set piece

Iain G
12-02-2023, 06:07 PM
The ongoing perpetuation in the Scottish gutter press and BBC that Sevco are the same team as the dead Rangers

May21/05/16
12-02-2023, 06:08 PM
Football agents

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Pagan Hibernia
12-02-2023, 06:08 PM
The lack of a TV show of comparable quality to Gazzetta Football Italia

strangely I’m just watching the Italian football on BT Sports, and not only does it have James Richardson but it has the old Football Italia theme tune from Channel 4.

a real throw back

Pretty Boy
12-02-2023, 06:10 PM

Fall guy for an absolute shambles of a club.

Southampton had it sussed for years but have regressed at some rate. Back in the Championship next year and they are another Sunderland in the making as they won't bottom out there without major changes.

Anyway back on topic fans that pitch up for about 3 games a season (usually a derby or at Hampden) and behave like total roasters.

12-02-2023, 06:13 PM

He's been gone too long.

ErinGoBraghHFC
12-02-2023, 06:15 PM
Fall guy for an absolute shambles of a club.

Southampton had it sussed for years but have regressed at some rate. Back in the Championship next year and they are another Sunderland in the making as they won't bottom out there without major changes.

Anyway back on topic fans that pitch up for about 3 games a season (usually a derby or at Hampden) and behave like total roasters.

What about folk that behave like total roasters at home to Ross county? Personally they deserve a medal for being dedicated roasters and not just part time roasters

The Modfather
12-02-2023, 06:21 PM
The prevalence of stats. There’s a place for it but everything is judged by stats now even if they tell the opposite story to what we are watching.

That and the slow possession football, often for possession sake it would seem with no off the ball movement. McGinn seems to be of the last generation that could pick up the ball in the middle of the park and drive a team 20 or 30 yards up the pitch.

HendoDelivered
12-02-2023, 06:22 PM
Var

HoboHarry
12-02-2023, 06:27 PM

:agree: Maybe it's just an age thing on my part but I find myself switching the tv off more and more midway through games when the cheating and play acting starts.

.Sean.
12-02-2023, 06:32 PM
‘Champions’ league, when about maybe a third of competing teams are actually their countries champions

Luminous boots, socks rolled down to the calves and they daft white socks over the feet and ankles, and players no tucking their tops in

Divers, players rolling about like they’ve been hit by a sniper, embarassing

Forced ‘fun’ before games, opera singers etc. Also the chart pish that gets blared over the tannoys

Sleeves, shorts and the back of strips now all being plastered with slogans

They stupid double level advertising boards that are becoming more and more prominent, Man City actually took out about three rows of seats to accommodate this

Yellow balls being used any time other than when it’s snowing

I’m a miserable **** these days, I’ll be back along in an hour or so for another good moan :greengrin

WeeRussell
12-02-2023, 06:37 PM

Likely be in the minority here but I’ve always found it a bit bizarre and OTT when people get upset by this. Particularly commentators with the obligatory “we don’t like to see that” as if he’s making some obscene gesture. Folk seem to get more offended by it than an outrageous tackle sometimes 😂

Not saying there’s nothing wrong with it at all, but at the end of the day they’re only asking for a booking like players do in the majority of games.. but by making this hand gesture it’s somehow considered so much worse?

Anyway - top of my list is VAR.

People more bothered about their ‘fantasy team’ than actually supporting a team.

“tekkers”
“Baller”
“Limbs”
“Absolute scenes”
“****housery”

Almost every co-commentator.

Some of the pish lyrics in new crowd songs.

Bostonhibby
12-02-2023, 06:38 PM
Hasn't even been a pitch invasion worthy of the name since we beat the now defunct Glasgow rangers replacements in 2016.

Proper exuberance rather than a load of scowling torn faced hun bloaters.

Bridge hibs
12-02-2023, 06:42 PM
Likely be in the minority here but I’ve always found it a bit bizarre and OTT when people get upset by this. Particularly commentators with the obligatory “we don’t like to see that” as if he’s making some obscene gesture. Folk seem to get more offended by it than an outrageous tackle sometimes 😂

Not saying there’s nothing wrong with it at all, but at the end of the day they’re only asking for a booking like players do in the majority of games.. but by making this hand gesture it’s somehow considered so much worse?

Anyway - top of my list is VAR.

People more bothered about their ‘fantasy team’ than actually supporting a team.

“tekkers”
“Baller”
“Limbs”
“Absolute scenes”
“****housery”It doesnt upset me, it just annoys me at times. Just let the ref do his job. Could you imaging a rugby international player doing that to a ref, he would get an instant yellow and 10 minutes in the sin bin

WeeRussell
12-02-2023, 06:44 PM
It doesnt upset me, it just annoys me at times. Just let the ref do his job. Could you imaging a rugby international player doing that to a ref, he would get an instant yellow and 10 minutes in the sin bin

Yeah I don’t mean you mate, this is obviously the thread for us posting these things however minor an annoyance it is.

Just noting that it’s something I’ve never really understood when highlighted as such a bad thing on tv.

Bobby's Cinema
12-02-2023, 06:59 PM
The insistence from commentators describing time taken to make a VAR decision as 'drama'. It's not drama. It's draining for all concerned

The sheer amount of penalties given for stupid soft handballs/ fouls where the defender in no way tried or was able to gain any advantage

Increasing air time of pundits talking about nothing at all, trying to turn decisions into endless debates - particularly MOTD2 with one-show in waiting types. Or up here, pundits deliberately arguing or making opposite points to make a show.

Pedantic_Hibee
12-02-2023, 07:07 PM
Oh and pundits saying 'should of'.

Ronniekirk saying “should of”

Bridge hibs
12-02-2023, 07:12 PM
Yeah I don’t mean you mate, this is obviously the thread for us posting these things however minor an annoyance it is.

Just noting that it’s something I’ve never really understood when highlighted as such a bad thing on tv.Yeah I know mate, its cool 👍

To be honest if I had time to think about it then I would probably think of the most trivial, like the absolute ***** coffee at Easter Road 😀

Donegal Hibby
12-02-2023, 07:16 PM
VAR .
John Beaton.
Nick Walsh.
When a defender goes to the striker making no attempt to play the ball and shields it out for a goal kick always think it should be obstruction.

Haymaker
12-02-2023, 07:20 PM
Squad numbers
VAR

The dalmeny
12-02-2023, 07:29 PM
xG

The dalmeny
12-02-2023, 07:30 PM
When a defender goes to the striker making no attempt to play the ball and shields it out for a goal kick always think it should be obstruction.

or a kick up the @rse

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-02-2023, 07:37 PM
“tekkers”
“Baller”
“Limbs”
“Absolute scenes”
“****housery"

We must be of a similar vintage as all of those annoy me too.

SteveHFC
12-02-2023, 07:42 PM
Kit prices.

£50 for an infant kit is ridiculous.

£114.99 for a Barca player issue shirt this season!

Pretty Boy
12-02-2023, 07:47 PM
£114.99 for a Barca player issue shirt this season!

The number of kits released as well. I think it was Arsenal who released 4 match kits and then something like 15 pre match warm up shirts last season. I'm sure they won't have been the only ones doing similar.

I know no one has to buy them and that's how the world works and so on and so forth but ****ing hell.

SteveHFC
12-02-2023, 07:52 PM
The number of kits released as well. I think it was Arsenal who released 4 match kits and then something like 15 pre match warm up shirts last season. I'm sure they won't have been the only ones doing similar.

I know no one has to buy them and that's how the world works and so on and so forth but ****ing hell.

I collect shirts but refuse to pay over a certain amount for them. The only exception being Hibs or Scotland tops.

WeeRussell
12-02-2023, 07:53 PM
We must be of a similar vintage as all of those annoy me too.

I assume we can add ‘worldie’ too in that case 😉

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-02-2023, 07:55 PM
I assume we can add ‘worldie’ too in that case 😉

Very much so. I blame Paul Merson on Soccer Saturday for that one! 😀

WeeRussell
12-02-2023, 08:04 PM
Very much so. I blame Paul Merson on Soccer Saturday for that one! 😀

He was the exact person I was thinking of when I typed that… as much as I have plenty time for Merse

WeeRussell
12-02-2023, 08:05 PM
I collect shirts but refuse to pay over a certain amount for them. The only exception being Hibs or Scotland tops.

Assume you’ve seen the 150th anniversary shirt, and will be adding to your collection?

It’s beautiful.

JimboHibs
12-02-2023, 08:11 PM
Football phone ins , pundits dissecting every pass,touch,goal,Hibs.net it was more enjoyable 20 years ago.

Forza Fred
12-02-2023, 08:18 PM
VAR .
John Beaton.
Nick Walsh.

I can’t remember the last time a foul was given for ‘obstruction’ , even though it occurs in just about every game.

I was a victim of the ‘obstruction’ rule in the late 60’s when after having been warned by the ref ‘one more and your off’ I blocked the centre forward from running onto a through ball, and was duly sent off!

That was in an under age juvenile game at Holyrood Park against Hibernian Boys Club of all teams.

I think I should ask the SFA for a refund of the 10/- fine I got, based on how the rule is completely ignored today.😂

Hibbyradge
12-02-2023, 08:36 PM
Pundits who say "they" instead of "those".

Onion
12-02-2023, 08:40 PM
Commentators who use the phase "just about" which used to mean failed but now apparently means succeeded (eg the goalkeeper just about kept the ball in).

Potty78
12-02-2023, 08:50 PM
The pre match entertainment for me, I used to love the pre match derby atmosphere with both fans going at it. None of this loud music nonsense so no one can be heard 🤷*♂️

Skol1972
12-02-2023, 08:54 PM
The current offside rules. Especially where a player is offside when the ball is played through suddenly becomes onside because a defender tries to intercept the ball. Surely that's the defenders job.
Also the assistant ref not flagging for offside until the play is over. If the player is offside it should be flagged immediately.

SteveHFC
12-02-2023, 09:30 PM
Assume you’ve seen the 150th anniversary shirt, and will be adding to your collection?

It’s beautiful.

Indeed mate. 15% off too for being a SSC Member :greengrin

Hope they sell it in long sleeve.

B.H.F.C
12-02-2023, 11:14 PM
Having to give nearly every personal detail about myself to buy a ticket for somewhere like Motherwell away.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-02-2023, 11:19 PM
The prevalence of stats. There’s a place for it but everything is judged by stats now even if they tell the opposite story to what we are watching.

That and the slow possession football, often for possession sake it would seem with no off the ball movement. McGinn seems to be of the last generation that could pick up the ball in the middle of the park and drive a team 20 or 30 yards up the pitch.

Spot on!

Viva_Palmeiras
12-02-2023, 11:22 PM
xGSomenone on my wavelength - maybe you need to get checked your GP ;)

basehibby
12-02-2023, 11:22 PM
The crappy wee bras they wear for GPS and what not - makes players look like proper jessies when they do the joyful shirt off celebration in the big goal moment https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. SMBTPO_ZTZLNsIiNF2Tb-wHaFC%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=b07ff56ee1ac8c680619e15b0064ffa4424a87410c8695 9bc0cbe040dd00feb3&ipo=images

heid the baw
12-02-2023, 11:24 PM
Hibs and Celtic not both wearing their home kits when they play each other

LaMotta
12-02-2023, 11:34 PM

No because ours would be real limbs:cb

Hibbyradge
12-02-2023, 11:38 PM
I'd never even heard of limbs until this thread.

FU Pretty Boy! :grr:

LaMotta
12-02-2023, 11:39 PM
English Premier League nets that aren't pegged down properly at the back of the goal. Can't cope with it.:grr::grr:

SteveHFC
12-02-2023, 11:43 PM

Best "limbs" I've ever been apart of was when Leigh scored his 2nd free kick against England.

houstonhibbee
13-02-2023, 03:49 AM
Players standing over the ball to stop a quick free kick being taken

the professional foul. Cynical fouls should get a red card. Would make for a more exciting game

OldEast
13-02-2023, 04:54 AM
Just about everything. If it wasn't for Hibs I wouldn't watch it. The beautiful game it's not!

Buninyong Hibby
13-02-2023, 04:58 AM
Not just at football but also rugby when a goal or try is scored and they belt out music for some reason. Cannae stand mascots either.

Crunchie
13-02-2023, 05:40 AM
Feigning injury and the blatant time wasting at every opportunity.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-02-2023, 06:36 AM
The role of the pundit and how high profile they are.

Chorley Hibee
13-02-2023, 07:06 AM
Having to give nearly every personal detail about myself to buy a ticket for somewhere like Motherwell away.

This!

Stubbsy90+2
13-02-2023, 07:27 AM
Commentators who use the phase "just about" which used to mean failed but now apparently means succeeded (eg the goalkeeper just about kept the ball in).

:agree:

Broken Gnome
13-02-2023, 07:53 AM
Half touched on in other posts, but 'online/social media language'. A whole sub-section of football that's totally contrived and attention seeking. Can probably class it all as 'content', I guess.

Jimmy Bullard.

Amateur Twitter folk that micro-analyse the game to ridiculous levels in language that is more akin to US sports than football. I'm not saying they don't (occasionally) make sense and there isn't actually a place for it, but still. Transitions, phases etc.

Messi v Ronaldo/Pessi v Penaldo. Gives a global view that the world seems full of utter losers.

Folk that get paid by Sportscene to ask and answer questions that are basically all variations of 'He'll be delighted/disappointed with that, won't he?'

Signed off, ageing male who prefers a simpler time.

Roxyhibee
13-02-2023, 08:12 AM
Apart from the open corruption of FIFA, UEFA, ‘Champions’ League farce, commentators saying “where do you want your statue” and other drivelling, in no particular order -
Mascots, team pre match hand shaking along the line, huddles, minutes silence for people and events not associated with the football club, minutes applauses during games for fans that have passed away, players showing messages on shirts after they’ve scored, players lying around on the pitch after they’ve lost a big game and doing long dramatic stares into space knowing the cameras are on them, buffoons running onto the pitch, twats throwing stuff onto the pitch, complete erseholes setting off flares, scarf twirling away fans, the complete cast of Sportsound, loud unnecessary sound systems drowning out conversation before the game and at half time and clueless people who constantly moan throughout the entire game who haven’t fathomed out that it can’t go your way for the whole 90 minutes.

DH1875
13-02-2023, 08:19 AM
Limbs. Other than the ones attached to peoples bodies, I have no idea what they are.

Greencore
13-02-2023, 08:25 AM
Hearts.

PatHead
13-02-2023, 08:35 AM
VAR as it has made things worse. The Rangers being treated as the same club. Everything being over analysed by pundits who don't know what they are talking about-yesterday co-commentator said that Partick's penalty was never a penalty, then admitted that he did not know the handball rules these days, why is he there then?
Hibs going through continual rebuild rather than 5 years of consistent change.
Daft kick off times.
The press for moaning that Sevco can't financially compete with Celtic- what about the rest of us?
Teams just coming to Easter Road and spending the whole time killing the game with time wasters.
That is a start anyway.

overdrive
13-02-2023, 08:43 AM
The importance given to the “matchday experience”. Good football is what enhances my matchday experience. Not opera singers, fiddlers, etc.

Bostonhibby
13-02-2023, 08:50 AM
The importance given to the “matchday experience”. Good football is what enhances my matchday experience. Not opera singers, fiddlers, etc.Amen to that, or should I sing Hallelujah?[emoji6]

heretoday
13-02-2023, 09:10 AM
VAR as it has made things worse. The Rangers being treated as the same club. Everything being over analysed by pundits who don't know what they are talking about-yesterday co-commentator said that Partick's penalty was never a penalty, then admitted that he did not know the handball rules these days, why is he there then?
Hibs going through continual rebuild rather than 5 years of consistent change.
Daft kick off times.
The press for moaning that Sevco can't financially compete with Celtic- what about the rest of us?
Teams just coming to Easter Road and spending the whole time killing the game with time wasters.
That is a start anyway.

Good post. Just VAR would have done.

CockneyRebel
13-02-2023, 09:10 AM
I honestly can't navigate that BBC sport web site. I can't find scottish football page in the menu at all, I have to hope there is a scottish football story on the front page and click on the link from there.

Get to the sport site and select football, select League and cups, select scottish football. Menu gives 8 selections covering all leagues and cups. I've never had any problem drilling down to whichever cup/league I want to visit. I use a laptop and not a phone so maybe that helps?

Pagan Hibernia
13-02-2023, 09:31 AM
Peter Drury’s commentary on ITV.

Extreme cringe.

The dalmeny
13-02-2023, 09:34 AM
Somenone on my wavelength - maybe you need to get checked your GP ;)

I'll let you know what medication I'm on

Pagan Hibernia
13-02-2023, 09:35 AM
The importance given to the “matchday experience”. Good football is what enhances my matchday experience. Not opera singers, fiddlers, etc.

mostly agree but good football plus a decent pie isn’t too much to ask for

Victor
13-02-2023, 09:43 AM
Stephen Craigen, Andy Walker. Totally clueless buffoons

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bingo70
13-02-2023, 09:47 AM

Yes, people being paid to be experts but doing absolutely no research.

I’m thinking about World Cup ties where pundits do absolutely zero research on the minnows and it turns into a joke about how little they know. Same applies to them not being able to pronounce names.

Closer to home, it really grates on me that Andy Walker and Charlie Nicholas are used as rent a quotes on Scottish football. Charlie Nicholas in particular clearly knows absolutely nothing about our game yet is regularly asked his opinion.

Bristolhibby
13-02-2023, 10:43 AM

This rips my knitting. Just put the prefix “women’s” please.

J

Bristolhibby
13-02-2023, 10:44 AM
Players standing over the ball to stop a quick free kick being taken

the professional foul. Cynical fouls should get a red card. Would make for a more exciting game

And attacking players not blootering the ball and kicking them with the follow through and hurting the defender.

J

Edina Street
13-02-2023, 10:51 AM
Half and half scarfs

I actually can't think of anything that annoys me about modern football except for the chios created by VAR. However I am also a supporter of VAR and have said for many years dating back to my late teens that cameras should be introduced at football matches. I just believe VAR to be in its infancy and that the current system needs improving on, rather than disbanded. However in the future I would like to believe that cameras could be used effectively to help referee an entire match, and even do away with the need for a referee and linesmen that often get decisions wrong.

HarpOnHibee
13-02-2023, 11:08 AM
Grown men rolling around, holding their faces, screaming. After the slightest of brushes on the shin.
Players flocking around the referee, instructing them on what happened, before they even get a chance to check the VAR screen.
Players near the touchline who may or may not be injured, refusing to budge a few cms to get off the pitch in order to halt the game.
Flares, balls or other objects being thrown on the pitch during game play or aimed at players and officials.
Actual adults singing songs about religious bigotry, taunting the dead and their still living relatives or anything unrelated to backing their team.

Groathillgrump
13-02-2023, 11:19 AM
Commentators who apologise to viewers who may have heard some bad language on TV.

Do they really think anybody watching football is going to be offended?

DH1875
13-02-2023, 11:28 AM
Seriously. What does limbs mean?

The dalmeny
13-02-2023, 11:29 AM
Commentators who apologise to viewers who may have heard some bad language on TV.

The broadcasters are required to do that. Part of the broadcasting agreement going back years

TheGroundsman
13-02-2023, 11:37 AM
VAR. It slows the game down massively. Football isn't a freeze frame sport
Players covering their mouths when talking to one another.
Wages. More aimed at the English + bigger leagues here, but no footballer, no matter what ability they possess, should be paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week.

NAE NOOKIE
13-02-2023, 11:39 AM
Seeding of any football competition. It's acceptable in Tennis because no matter how good they are folk like Federer or Nadal will eventually become physically unable to compete with younger players.

All it does in football is ensure that barring a massive shock no small or medium sized club can ever go far in Europe because the giants will always be giants, at least back in the day luck of the draw might have got one into a semi final or final. Can you imagine Malmo, Red Star Belgrade or St Etienne in the champions league final now? ... not a hope in hell.

Pundits who say 'that should have been in the net' even though it wasn't even a half chance .... Alan Shearer is the poster boy for that.

Half and half scarves ... I would sincerely hope anyone caught selling them outside Easter Road would be thrashed to within an inch of their life :greengrin

Glory hunters / fair weather fans .... neither are modern phenomena but they get on my tits even more than they used to, especially EPL fanboys.

Plastic pitches.

Lunch time kick offs to suit TV especially at Hampden. Folk spend all week getting up at stupid o'clock to get to work, why the hell should they be expected to do the same for a football match? Not to mention that it absolutely kills any prospect of an enjoyable pre match build up in the boozer, which like it or not for many of us is an essential and long held tradition when it comes to big games at Hampden.

Alvin
13-02-2023, 11:49 AM
What a great thread for us old geezers :greengrin. My biggest gripe is the contempt shown for paying customers rather than TV viewers in the modern game, especially with VAR.

As a punter you've no idea what’s going on, there’s next to no useful info on the screens, you spend ages watching a ref with his finger in his ear and you only know a goal’s actually counted when the opposition kick off. Big screens installed and we’re not even allowed to show replays. And nobody ever has to explain why the decisions were made after the event. You’d be forgiven for thinking VAR exists only for the convenience of the refs.

SickBoy32
13-02-2023, 01:00 PM
VAR - destroying the very essence of the game imo

Excessive amount of subs - bigger clubs / nations are already at enough of an advantage as it is, without allowing them a ridiculous number of changes during a game to freshen up

General sanitisation / gentrification of the game

Peanut Shaz
13-02-2023, 01:06 PM
"Commentators who say "Just as he was about to pull the trigger" when a player is stopped from taking a shot on goal.

LaMotta
13-02-2023, 02:44 PM

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Limbs%20aots

overdrive
13-02-2023, 03:17 PM

There was an ad for M&S ready meal curry recently. It was a bunch of football pundits eating a curry. Jenas, Savage and, erm, Stephen Craigan.

Outside of Scottish football fans nobody would have had an idea who the wannabe Hun is.

DJ HIBBY
13-02-2023, 03:54 PM
Khaveh and Dharmesh on SSN, two absolute roasters!

Groathillgrump
13-02-2023, 03:55 PM
There was an ad for M&S ready meal curry recently. It was a bunch of football pundits eating a curry. Jenas, Savage and, erm, Stephen Craigan.

Outside of Scottish football fans nobody would have had an idea who the wannabe Hun is.

Craigan says someone has to be prepared to do the 'hard yard' several times during every game.

I know it's totally irrational but it makes me want to throw a brick through my telly every time he says it. :bitchy:

King conrad
13-02-2023, 03:56 PM
Players playing on the wrong side to cut in just to keep possession.

Broken Gnome
13-02-2023, 04:14 PM
"Commentators who say "Just as he was about to pull the trigger" when a player is stopped from taking a shot on goal.

That opens up the whole dictionary of phrases or expressions only ever used in football.

Cool, calm and collected is a rookie Sportscene commentator go-to. Deadlock broken, parity restored, calmness personified...

Hibbyradge
13-02-2023, 05:03 PM

I know what you mean and I used to think the same, and I do think that most football fans understand that swearing happens at games.

However, I don't think it's that difficult to imagine circumstances where some loud mouth near a Sky microphone shouting "F*** you, player X, ya useless c***" or the likes might cause embarrassment or offence.

One obvious example is that some parents might not want their children to hear bad language, particularly if it's before the watershed.

Or like visiting the wife's 93 y.o. grandmother in Sussex and she's humouring me by letting me watch Falkirk v Hibs on Alba! 😳

Not a single word was being understood by anyone until someone shouted that exact phrase* and it came out of the TV as clear as a bell! 😂

* Before anyone says it, it wasn't that exact phrase; an actual player's surname was used. :na na:

Hibbyradge
13-02-2023, 05:13 PM
Players putting the ball as far out of the corner area as they can get away with.

WTF is the point of that?

Hibbyradge
13-02-2023, 05:14 PM
Players playing on the wrong side to cut in just to keep possession.

What do you mean?

Waxy
13-02-2023, 06:28 PM
Penalty kicks.
The vast majority are given when clearly a goal wouldnt have been scored.
The punishment never seems to fit the crime and a free kick at the point of foul would be much better.
Football could have evolved much better.

Keith_M
13-02-2023, 06:47 PM
Having to share the same part of the stadium at away games with rowdy young people who refuse to sit down in a 100% seated area. When I was a rowdy youngster, the older guys at least had the option to sit down in the Main Stand at most away games and just leave us to it.

While I'm on the subject: The whole concept of so-called 'safe standing', with rail seats, etc... for dog's sake, just open a bit of terracing and have done with it.

Singing, and banging drums, from certain groups that is basically a constant irritating background noise and seems to be unrelated in any way to actually backing the players, or to anything happening on the pitch.

And finally.... Grumpy old men moaning about modern football.

:wink:

Glory Lurker
13-02-2023, 06:48 PM
Unnecessary away or third strip wearing.

A Hi-Bee
13-02-2023, 06:48 PM
Daft football forums, that take things so seriously.
:greengrin

SChibs
13-02-2023, 06:51 PM

What exactly do you expect? England has 10x the population and loads of interest from Scotland and abroad so obviously its going to have waaay more money and attention spent on it.

Keith_M
13-02-2023, 07:09 PM
Daft football forums, that take things so seriously.

Reported!

:na na:

greenlex
13-02-2023, 07:18 PM
Falkirk shirts sponsor being Crunchy Carrots.

Hibbyradge
13-02-2023, 07:20 PM
Players getting booked for time wasting.
Refs adding time on for time wasting.

Which is it? Why book a player if you are going to add time on at the end? Why add time on at the end if you can book a player for wasting time?

Same reason they book a player when they've given a foul or a penalty?

The team that is time wasting is cheating their opponents out of possible opportunities to score. Book them for cheating and remedy it by adding time.

If they don't get booked, they could continue to waste time and the ref won't be able to keep on adding on time.

If you only book them, the whole team could take turns to waste time and there would be much less football played.

Torto7
13-02-2023, 07:23 PM
Tactics. Especially low blocks etc. Large parts of the game are boring.
Laws. Footballs like the catholic church is its sloth like ability to reform. Every other sport that I watch has had technology and yearly law changes to try and improve the game. Low blocks could be dealt with by law changes(Some of the Dutch greats have some interesting ideas around the offside line etc I'd like to see trialled).
Money and Sports Washing. Just vulgar. The Tax avoidance as well. Vulgar. All the parasites who leech of the game. :sick:
The pouting instagram generation, this is more to do with modern society but I thought I'd put it in anyway being a middle aged grump.
Hearts.
Rangers.

heidtheba
13-02-2023, 07:27 PM
I liked the old 'three foreigners rule'. No idea if it did/didn't promote home players, but my heart says it did. I'm sure there's proper stats out there.

Kato
13-02-2023, 07:32 PM
I can't take most of the rule changes and fancydannery but the biggest bugbear for me is in the huge differentials financially, its killed a lot of the romance.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
13-02-2023, 07:41 PM

It’s just a young and cool way of saying “wild celebrations”.

Or if you’re aulder and grumpy like me it’s a stupid and annoying way of saying it.

fiolex1
13-02-2023, 08:24 PM
Astroturf

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-02-2023, 08:30 PM
Players lying behind the defensive wall at free kicks on the edge of the box, just stop it!

DJ HIBBY
13-02-2023, 08:41 PM
The change in rules on goal kicks. Hate seeing 2 centre halves in their own box at a goal kick

Eyrie
13-02-2023, 10:10 PM
It’s just a young and cool way of saying “wild celebrations”.

Or if you’re aulder and grumpy like me it’s a stupid and annoying way of saying it.

I was another who was wondering so thanks for the explanation.

Now I know it's a stupid and annoying way of saying something that is very simple to say properly.

NAE NOOKIE
13-02-2023, 11:41 PM
Unnecessary away or third strip wearing.

Hibs1969
14-02-2023, 08:39 AM
Sky Sports obsession with only showing games featuring one of the two Ugly Sisters. On BT you would
reasonably expect to see a decent variety of games involving the others but Sky very rarely look beyond those 2.

Players kicking the ball away when a free kick or throw-in is awarded to the other team. That does my napper in.

Dmas
14-02-2023, 08:45 AM
Players lying behind the defensive wall at free kicks on the edge of the box, just stop it!

Probably count on one hand the amount of times I’ve seen a free kick go under the wall in my whole football watching life no idea why this has became such a thing

Hibbyradge
14-02-2023, 11:56 AM
Players who, when being interviewed, start their answers by saying "I mean".

heretoday
14-02-2023, 11:58 AM
All football pundits are freeloaders who dress to try and look younger. Matchday attire.
Bring back Arthur Montford. He dressed to look older if anything.

Hibbyradge
14-02-2023, 11:59 AM
Probably count on one hand the amount of times I’ve seen a free kick go under the wall in my whole football watching life no idea why this has became such a thing

Here's a few more:

https://youtu.be/iE_KkU_55Kc

https://youtu.be/iE_KkU_55Kc

adam middlemass
14-02-2023, 12:28 PM
Players taking a throw-in sometimes 10 to 20 yards further on than where the ball went out play, does my head in 🐲

Scouse Hibee
14-02-2023, 12:42 PM
The handball rule and the interpretation of it.

J-C
14-02-2023, 12:51 PM
Players who are injured having to go off the pitch to come straight back on again when the ref waves his hand. Just do what they do in rugby and what they did years ago, come on treat the player and carry on.

Pagan Hibernia
14-02-2023, 12:51 PM
Celtic fans. Mind you that would still be the case if the word “modern” was removed from the question.

neil7908
14-02-2023, 12:58 PM
Oil rich states with shocking human rights records owning football teams and pumping billions into them for sportwashing.

overdrive
14-02-2023, 03:09 PM
Players taking a throw-in sometimes 10 to 20 yards further on than where the ball went out play, does my head in 🐲

Especially when they do it after the referee/linesman has told them to go back.

Torto7
14-02-2023, 03:54 PM
Players who, when being interviewed, start their answers by saying "I mean".

Blame the Yanks for that. I hear some middle class Scottish kids these days and it's like a combination of constipated Scottish and American to listen to.

LaMotta
15-02-2023, 07:29 PM
As per Amazon prime tonight for Arsenal v City, having 4 pundits in the studio. WHY?! Two is more than enough.

blackpoolhibs
15-02-2023, 08:30 PM
Players covering their mouths when speaking to another player. As if we can tell what they are saying, or are even interested?

Hibbyradge
15-02-2023, 08:32 PM
Players covering their mouths when speaking to another player. As if we can tell what they are saying, or are even interested?

Lip readers sell what they say to the red tops if it's at all controversial.

overdrive
15-02-2023, 08:43 PM

I was about to post the same thing. At least most players don’t bother when they are speaking to the ref. Haaland even does it when speaking to the ref. I think that’s quite disrespectful.

matty_f
15-02-2023, 09:26 PM
I think the thing that annoys me most is the pretence that the Scottish Premiership is in any way realistically competitive for the top prize.

You have pundits analysing how Celtic won against St Johnstone, or Ross County or even us, Aberdeen and Hearts, like it’s not a foregone conclusion 90% of the time.

And the big pats on the back that go to the respective managers of Rangers and Celtic for winning games. It’s like giving yourself Manager of the Month on Football Manager when you’ve used the editor to give yourself perfect players.

The lack of acknowledgement that referees are demonstrably biased towards Rangers, and to a lesser extent, Celtic. Graham Spiers did an episode of his podcast on it and the stuff that was being said, openly and accurately, that highlighted an institutional bias towards Rangers was frightening. The game is genuinely rigged but we’ve been battered down so much that folk won’t believe it.

Folk (sorry overdrive) that can’t separate an attempt to improve the matchday experience with losing the match and so resent the club trying to make it more entertaining or try something different before a ball has been kicked.

See above but replace matchday experience with “the big screens”.

Aggressively boring Jambos.

Dunbar Hibee
16-02-2023, 08:41 AM
Pundits/Players starting sentences with "Listen" and slipping it in every few words. Barry Ferguson is particularly bad for this on Go Radio and winds me up no end.

Hibbyradge
16-02-2023, 09:02 AM
Pundits/Players starting sentences with "Listen" and slipping it in every few words. Barry Ferguson is particularly bad for this on Go Radio and winds me up no end.

Media training. Porteous was the same.

They also use "look".

Since452
16-02-2023, 10:31 AM
The obsession with making a simple game complicated.

The offside rule for example. Barely know what it is these days.

SChibs
16-02-2023, 01:00 PM

All kicked off when a team hired a lip reader to watch the cameras and see if they could figure out tactics when it cut to the managers giving out instructions. It's just a habit for the players now

ErinGoBraghHFC
16-02-2023, 01:04 PM
Celtic fans. Mind you that would still be the case if the word “modern” was removed from the question.

Honestly don’t have a problem with folk who go to watch the OF every week, it’s the ones who watch all the games in the pub or on their couch and then laugh at the smaller clubs travelling support etc that wind me up

MB62
16-02-2023, 01:53 PM

:top marks

plus refs giving these players free kicks every single time. Would love it for refs to start booking these jokers.
I reckon a big part of every teams training and tactics revolve round a few 'Best Man Falls' sessions in between match days. :grr:

hhibs
16-02-2023, 01:57 PM
Is it still in the rule book ?

Fed up seeing players defending with back arched and arms out wide to block opposition players getting near the ball surely that is or maybe was obstruction ?

Annoying as .........

overdrive
16-02-2023, 02:54 PM
Is it still in the rule book ?

Fed up seeing players defending with back arched and arms out wide to block opposition players getting near the ball surely that is or maybe was obstruction ?

Annoying as .........

That’s my dad’s pet peeve with modern football. Anywhere else on the pitch it’s obstruction but seems fine on the byeline.

hhibs
16-02-2023, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=overdrive;7282192]That’s my dad’s pet peeve with modern football. Anywhere else on the pitch it’s obstruction but seems fine on the byeline.[/QUOTE

Clearly an age thing !

Thanks for the reminder !!:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Silky
16-02-2023, 03:08 PM
Players who go down and grab the ball with their hands, pretty much forcing the ref to give a foul. I'd say 9 times out of ten there is little, if any contact. It's deliberate handball imo. I'd card them.

Green_one
16-02-2023, 03:41 PM
Contrived 'limbs'.

I agree but it is fairly rare

I hate time wasting but it's not new just different

I hate the link between betting and football. Given how betting damages many lives I think it should be addressed

Annoys me how they display women's scores which often looks like men's scores

blackpoolhibs
16-02-2023, 05:02 PM
I agree but it is fairly rare

I hate time wasting but it's not new just different

I hate the link between betting and football. Given how betting damages many lives I think it should be addressed

Annoys me how they display women's scores which often looks like men's scores

Now you mention it, the amount of times i've thought i have missed the start of a match i never knew was on, only to find out its a bloody womans game that i have no interest in.:brickwall

Stevie Reid
16-02-2023, 07:24 PM
Co-commentators saying “he’s backed himself” when someone has a speculative attempt on goal.

Does my tits in.

3pm
16-02-2023, 07:39 PM
Co-commentators saying “he’s backed himself” when someone has a speculative attempt on goal.

Does my tits in.

Commentary in general is just crap now with the odd exception. With soundbars and such like, there should be a commentary free option so you can just turn up the volume and get the noise from the crowd.

Radge70
16-02-2023, 10:20 PM
I know what you mean and I used to think the same, and I do think that most football fans understand that swearing happens at games.

However, I don't think it's that difficult to imagine circumstances where some loud mouth near a Sky microphone shouting "F*** you, player X, ya useless c***" or the likes might cause embarrassment or offence.

One obvious example is that some parents might not want their children to hear bad language, particularly if it's before the watershed.

Or like visiting the wife's 93 y.o. grandmother in Sussex and she's humouring me by letting me watch Falkirk v Hibs on Alba! 😳

Not a single word was being understood by anyone until someone shouted that exact phrase* and it came out of the TV as clear as a bell! 😂

* Before anyone says it, it wasn't that exact phrase; an actual player's surname was used. :na na:

Even worse the wife's grandma in sussex would need to be fluent in Gaelic to understand the commentators apology!

Greenbeard
17-02-2023, 06:49 AM
Me too. Just needs a short line at right angles to the touchline every 10 yards or so and you have to take the shy from the "zone" where the ball went out, as indicated by the ref or linesman. Step out of that zone with ball in hand and you lose possession.

Greenbeard
17-02-2023, 06:54 AM
I'm only an occasional listener but the background sex noises emitted by the match reporters on Open All Mics on Radio Scotland.
And their proclamations of "gooaaaalll...... and then taking an age to say which team has scored. Or giving an obscure scorer's name you've never heard of so you don't know which team scored.

Mon Dieu4
17-02-2023, 08:21 AM
Calling a good goal a "worldie" **** off

GaryOsCheerios
17-02-2023, 08:30 AM
Top bins:yw:

Hibbyradge
17-02-2023, 08:45 AM
Even worse the wife's grandma in sussex would need to be fluent in Gaelic to understand the commentators apology!

True. I've no idea if there was an apology. I only remember the swearing.

HibbyAndy
17-02-2023, 08:50 AM
Slight deflection but take nothing away from the goal it's an excellent finish , Eh it was gaun miles wide till it took a deflection ya bam

hibsbollah
17-02-2023, 09:35 AM

Does my tits in.

This.

Pretty Boy
17-02-2023, 09:55 AM
The obsession with saying major events or sad news 'puts football in perspective'.

What does that even mean? Surely grown adults are aware that in the grand scheme of things football isn't that important. Yes it can impact my mood and it's emotive for many of us and we'll get heated about it but I always assumed that most people knew that was in a very specific context.

'The earthquake in Turkey and Syria really puts football in perspective.' How? Until that happened where you thinking 'you know I really hope there's a major earthquake that kills thousands of Hearts fans' but since it has happened your perspective has shifted and you are now thinking 'actually that might have been a bit strong'. If so I'd suggest you have issues that go a bit deeper than needing to put football into perspective.

Pretty Boy
17-02-2023, 09:56 AM
Oh an referring to football as 'footy'.

Since452
17-02-2023, 10:11 AM
The obsession with saying major events or sad news 'puts football in perspective'.

What does that even mean? Surely grown adults are aware that in the grand scheme of things football isn't that important. Yes it can impact my mood and it's emotive for many of us and we'll get heated about it but I always assumed that most people knew that was in a very specific context.

'The earthquake in Turkey and Syria really puts football in perspective.' How? Until that happened where you thinking 'you know I really hope there's a major earthquake that kills thousands of Hearts fans' but since it has happened your perspective has shifted and you are now thinking 'actually that might have been a bit strong'. If so I'd suggest you have issues that go a bit deeper than needing to put football into perspective.

Would have needed to be some earthquake to kill 400k people.

bingo70
17-02-2023, 10:13 AM
People who say “well in” instead of “well done” when praising a player for an achievement.

********s.

Since452
17-02-2023, 10:18 AM
Wee fannies built like racing snakes thinking they need to dress up in Stone Island gear and pose for a photo with their fist clenched to go to the football.

gbhibby
17-02-2023, 10:27 AM
Outfield players wearing gloves especially with short sleeve tops.
These tops underneath the tops that make it long sleeves.
Get out onto the park and run about then you won't feel the cold and need these unnecessary extra items of clothing.

ErinGoBraghHFC
17-02-2023, 10:38 AM
People who say “well in” instead of “well done” when praising a player for an achievement.

********s.

Away ye go, that’s just whinging for the sake of it. Language evolves over time, it’s no our fault you’re auld [emoji16]

Pretty Boy
17-02-2023, 10:40 AM
Get out onto the park and run about then you won't feel the cold and need these unnecessary extra items of clothing.

I do get the gloves and short sleeves thing tbh.

When I'm out running I regularly wear a vest with gloves because my hands are often freezing. I spoke to a doctor about it as I was wary of Raynauds or similar but it's something to do with blood flow being redirected to the major organs during intense excercise and the extremities feeling cold as a result.

Looks daft but makes me feel a lot more comfortable.

bingo70
17-02-2023, 10:52 AM
Away ye go, that’s just whinging for the sake of it. Language evolves over time, it’s no our fault you’re auld [emoji16]

Is whinging for the sake of it not the point of this thread? 😂

Using the wrong word (in, instead of done) isn’t the language evolving, it’s using the wrong ****ing word 😡 😂

ErinGoBraghHFC
17-02-2023, 11:02 AM
Is whinging for the sake of it not the point of this thread? [emoji23]

Using the wrong word (in, instead of done) isn’t the language evolving, it’s using the wrong ****ing word [emoji35] [emoji23]

Sorry grandad [emoji23]

Stuart93
17-02-2023, 11:10 AM
Not that it’s a modern football thing but I’ve never understood “just about keeps it in” when a player keeps the ball in play.

I’d have thought that would mean the player just about kept it in but never quite managed.

Mind you, it’s maybe my grasp on English

Stubbsy90+2
17-02-2023, 11:37 AM
Not that it’s a modern football thing but I’ve never understood “just about keeps it in” when a player keeps the ball in play.

I’d have thought that would mean the player just about kept it in but never quite managed.

Mind you, it’s maybe my grasp on English

Stubbsy90+2
17-02-2023, 11:37 AM

I actually like a long sleeve top. Hate these base layer things under short sleeve tops though.

nonshinyfinish
17-02-2023, 12:21 PM

********s.

Are you ok with 'well in' in the specific case where someone's just made a good tackle?

(I play fives with a guy who says 'nice in' in that situation, but he's from Norfolk so just have to give some leeway.)

gbhibby
17-02-2023, 12:29 PM
I actually like a long sleeve top. Hate these base layer things under short sleeve tops though.
Yes it looks untidy especially when it's a different colour from sleeves. Another thing is the cutting of holes in the socks and the tops of the socks being stretched above the knees.

A Hi-Bee
17-02-2023, 12:34 PM
No laces on the football, plastic crap now.

gbhibby
17-02-2023, 12:50 PM
Players complaining about the ball taking a bad bounce or hitting a bad patch on the pitch to make an excuse for bad control of the ball when they are playing on a surface akin to a bowling green.

bingo70
17-02-2023, 12:59 PM
Are you ok with 'well in' in the specific case where someone's just made a good tackle?

(I play fives with a guy who says 'nice in' in that situation, but he's from Norfolk so just have to give some leeway.)

Think I would struggle in your situation if I’m honest, in the event you’re ever a man down probably for the best you don’t contact me if that’s ok.

Well in for a good tackle is fine. I’m happy with that.

Edina Street
17-02-2023, 03:52 PM
I have just thought of something that actually "ever so slightly" annoys me about modern football. At the moment, every second football team seems to have the same chant.