PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a Hibs legend?

Edina Street
08-02-2023, 07:07 AM
I've just seen the moniker of Hibs legend attributed towards Lewis Stevenson, which I personally do not disagree with. I would love to see the lad play until he is 40. However I have also seen the moniker attributed to many Hibs players, including Tam McManus and Joe Tortolano. Now don't get me wrong, I liked Tam McManus, though I do need to apologise to Joe Tortolano, because as a kid he was one of my least favourite players, though he did score what would have to be one of the best goals in Hibernian's history during a 2-1 defeat at Brockville on 15/08/1992 during a Scottish Premier encounter, but I am just not sure that players such as Tam McManus and Joe Tortolano quite cut it in the same mold as those in the current Hibernian Hall of Fame.

But what in your opinion constitutes a Hibs legend?

Broken Gnome
08-02-2023, 07:15 AM
A top-rung of our very best players. Unless they've burnt their bridges in a particularly unpleasant way.

Everyone in the 2016 squad that made any sort of leading contribution to the cup run. Know some will disagree with that, but seems to me it's sucking the life and joy out of it by nitpicking.

Various players whose service, commitment and loyalty to Hibs transcends their actual ability. Still good players, but put themselves on a pedestal by being proudly and unmistakenly 'Hibs'.

Tam McManus is not really in any of the three brackets, safe to say. Does begin to resemble a bit of a meaningless throwaway line as it's often used in a matey/jokey way.

Pretty Boy
08-02-2023, 07:31 AM
I've never heard anyone describe Tam McManus as a Hibs legend and I'd worry about the sanity of anyone who did believe him to be. He's not close by any measure. I'd probably have Joe Tortolano in the cult hero bracket. He's player who I think is remembered more fondly as time goes on, at least in part because he has spoken out about how much the vitriolic abuse he got upset him (see it's not a new 'social media' thing).

For me legends are people who have done something special or exceptional at a club. Lewis Stevenson, love him or loathe him as a player, qualifies because he has a unique medal collection among Hibs players and a record number of appearance in league games. Someone like Conrad Logan probably has a foot in the cult hero and legend camp. It' something that people will apply their own parameters too but it is an overused term imo, particularly if anyone is describing McManus as a Hibs legend:greengrin

JDT
08-02-2023, 07:46 AM
Like someone said above there's Legends and Cult Heroes. You could make a massive list for both categories but Tam McManus falls into neither for me. Stevenson is a legend who still doesn't do much wrong and he's 35. If have him around for as long as he wants, he's a guy who's just so good to have around.

hibstag
08-02-2023, 01:39 PM
Like someone said above there's Legends and Cult Heroes. You could make a massive list for both categories but Tam McManus falls into neither for me. Stevenson is a legend who still doesn't do much wrong and he's 35. If have him around for as long as he wants, he's a guy who's just so good to have around.

A few years ago football focus ran a weekly segment cult hero’s when hibs appeared I was disappointed that it was Frank Sauzee as he was more in the legend bracket than say a Benny Brazil or Super Joe who fall under the cult hero bracket

Glory Lurker
08-02-2023, 01:47 PM
A few years ago football focus ran a weekly segment cult hero’s when hibs appeared I was disappointed that it was Frank Sauzee as he was more in the legend bracket than say a Benny Brazil or Super Joe who fall under the cult hero bracket

Here's a thing. Is Sauzee a legend? I worshipped the ground he walked on but even then I'd not categorise him alongside the Famous Five or the Cup winners.

BILLYHIBS
08-02-2023, 01:55 PM
Here's a thing. Is Sauzee a legend? I worshipped the ground he walked on but even then I'd not categorise him alongside the Famous Five or the Cup winners.

Le God probably our best ever foreign signing followed by the Little Magician

Since452
08-02-2023, 01:55 PM
I guess everybody's definition of legend is different. A legend for me is a player who is out of the ordinary like a Sauzee. For the older generation a Stanton or Gordon Smith. They are players that hit once, maybe twice in a lifetime and make you feel privileged to have seen them. Or a defining moment like a David Gray header or Keith Wight classy finish in a cup final.

Mon Dieu4
08-02-2023, 02:01 PM

Champions League winner and capped by France 39 times, signs for Hibs, plays a huge part in being the best team most people have seen in 20 odd years, never lost a game against Hearts as a player or Manager and lost teeth scoring a goal against them as well, aye he's a legend

NAE NOOKIE
08-02-2023, 02:02 PM
Agree with most folks take on this.

Longevity and appearances make a club legend, as do mental goal scoring stats or playing in a side that wins something, perhaps not even then, I wouldn't call Scott Brown or Rob Jones club legends, league cup or not .... if you are a boyhood Hibs fan all the better. Lewis Stevenson certainly qualifies with top league appearances and two cup wins .. a true legend in every sense.

We then have the cult hero status folk and there's a few ways to become one of them. Joe Tortolano and Benny Brazil being in that category, but certainly not because of what they did on the pitch. Frank Sauzee being the obvious one playing wise, not here long but a sublime footballer and a gentleman to boot, absolutely loved by the fans, as was Marvin Bartley, average footballer but a great presence on the pitch.

Oh and absolutely anybody to do with 2016 from the kit man to the manager on that special day for the club and the folk who support it, so big Marv qualifies on two counts :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
08-02-2023, 02:10 PM
I'd say Sauzee is probably a legend, but he's clearly not at the level of Lewis or Stanton etc. More the level of a mcginn or a Riordan.

NAE NOOKIE
08-02-2023, 02:18 PM
I'd say Sauzee is probably a legend, but he's clearly not at the level of Lewis or Stanton etc. More the level of a mcginn or a Riordan.

How could I forget John McGinn. Absolutely loved especially for staying longer than he needed to and a quality guy off the pitch too. And of course a 2016 legend ... another who qualifies under 2016 and cult hero, left years ago and still loved :aok:

HarpOnHibee
08-02-2023, 02:30 PM
For me, a club legend ultimately comes down to their attitude and commitment towards the club. Not just for how they conduct themselves on the pitch, but as much off it as well.

Spike Mandela
08-02-2023, 02:45 PM
Legends are stories, usually historical, but not always proven to be true. Usually of someone or something noteworthy or famous. People then become ‘stuff of legend’

If you’ve ever spent hours in a pub talking about Hibs and past games and players then they can be described as stuff of legend, especially if these stories get repeated often. Joe Tortolano may not be the greatest player to ever play for Hibs but his getting setnt off early in a testimonial for crunching into wee Gordon Strachan is the stuff of legend for example.

Percy Vere
08-02-2023, 03:04 PM
Well def not Joe To or Tam McManus.
I guess it’s service to the club, above and beyond.
It may even be bestowed long after their playing career.
Not to be confused with cult hero or fans favourite.
So yes Lewis. Pat Stanton. Gordon Smith. Lawrie Reilly.
Hanlon must be getting there too, for his service, dedication to Hibs, his foundation with Lewis.
I’m sure it means different things to different people but I’d not dish it out easily.

HoboHarry
08-02-2023, 03:15 PM
Legends are stories, usually historical, but not always proven to be true. Usually of someone or something noteworthy or famous. People then become ‘stuff of legend’

If you’ve ever spent hours in a pub talking about Hibs and past games and players then they can be described as stuff of legend, especially if these stories get repeated often. Joe Tortolano may not be the greatest player to ever play for Hibs but his getting setnt off early in a testimonial for crunching into wee Gordon Strachan is the stuff of legend for example.
Zibby being a great keeper is the stuff of legends no? :greengrin

hibstag
08-02-2023, 03:20 PM

I did say legends bracket. I agree with you, whilst good he was only here in the twilight of career not a great club servant like Duncan, Stevenson, hibs through and through and grey servants like Jimmy o Rourke, mickey weir, pat Stanton

hibstag
08-02-2023, 03:22 PM

I did say legends bracket. I agree with you, whilst good he was only here in the twilight of career not a great club servant like Duncan, Stevenson, hibs through and through and massive Lifelong servants like Jimmy o Rourke, mickey weir, pat Stanton

Kato
08-02-2023, 05:30 PM
Le God probably our best ever foreign signing followed by the Little MagicianAnthony Stokes is our best ever foreign signing.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
08-02-2023, 06:06 PM
Can we add Hibs icon to our ex Hibs player accolades? Maybe for someone like John Collins or Mixu?

Eyrie
08-02-2023, 07:23 PM
Zibby being a great keeper is the stuff of legends no? :greengrin

No, because legends have some factual basis.

Zibby being a great keeper is the stuff of myths.

BILLYHIBS
08-02-2023, 07:40 PM
Anthony Stokes is our best ever foreign signing.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

My spidey senses told me he was going to have one good game that season and what a game

Did ok against Caley as well

HoboHarry
08-02-2023, 07:43 PM
No, because legends have some factual basis.

Zibby being a great keeper is the stuff of myths.

Ah but there'll be plenty of Hearts supporters who still think he's great. It's all perspective :greengrin

LewysGot2
08-02-2023, 08:00 PM
The trophy winning sides immediately become club greats. Probably not all legends - though the Scottish Cup Winners 2016 all are.

Famous Five
Baker
Stanton
Stevenson - on his own merit as well as 2K16

Outside that I guess there's a bit of a grey area where length of service vs degree of quality vs significant contribution meets

In this regard I'd personally include Sauzee. No player since the Tornadoes has been so unilaterally loved and had such a pedigree and won things, even with us...it would be churlish to suggest he's not though I'd understand folk questioning it

Players who are greats in their own right, id include amongst others...

SJM
Goram
Russell Latapy
Riordan
Keith Wright
Gordon Rae
Gordon Hunter
John Collins

Cult heroes are exactly the place for Joe T, Kevin McAllister, Ivan Sproule, Mixu, Colin Nish...all for very different reasons

It's not an exact science 🙂

Cat Stanton
08-02-2023, 08:03 PM
I've just seen the moniker of Hibs legend attributed towards Lewis Stevenson, which I personally do not disagree with. I would love to see the lad play until he is 40. However I have also seen the moniker attributed to many Hibs players, including Tam McManus and Joe Tortolano. Now don't get me wrong, I liked Tam McManus, though I do need to apologise to Joe Tortolano, because as a kid he was one of my least favourite players, though he did score what would have to be one of the best goals in Hibernian's history during a 2-1 defeat at Brockville on 15/08/1992 during a Scottish Premier encounter, but I am just not sure that players such as Tam McManus and Joe Tortolano quite cut it in the same mold as those in the current Hibernian Hall of Fame.

But what in your opinion constitutes a Hibs legend?

I know this wasn't your point of your post, but I do feel this may be a Hibs legend-ary exaggeration... It was a fine strike, but it's surely not one of the best in the club's history...!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=815090635753685

ps actually... although he was most certainly not a "legend", McManus' goal at Ibrox in the 6-2 (?) defeat was arguably better...

Eyrie
08-02-2023, 09:56 PM
Ah but there'll be plenty of Hearts supporters who still think he's great. It's all perspective :greengrin

Hearts supporters who can think is another myth :na na:

pepe
08-02-2023, 10:25 PM
For me a Legend is someone you tell stories about, which is kind of the dictionary meaning. You should never be bogged down with facts while telling stories about a legend. For instance, Riordans goals get a little bit further out every time I recall them.

ErinGoBraghHFC
08-02-2023, 10:37 PM
The trophy winning sides immediately become club greats. Probably not all legends - though the Scottish Cup Winners 2016 all are.

Famous Five
Baker
Stanton
Stevenson - on his own merit as well as 2K16

Outside that I guess there's a bit of a grey area where length of service vs degree of quality vs significant contribution meets

In this regard I'd personally include Sauzee. No player since the Tornadoes has been so unilaterally loved and had such a pedigree and won things, even with us...it would be churlish to suggest he's not though I'd understand folk questioning it

Players who are greats in their own right, id include amongst others...

SJM
Goram
Russell Latapy
Riordan
Keith Wright
Gordon Rae
Gordon Hunter
John Collins

Cult heroes are exactly the place for Joe T, Kevin McAllister, Ivan Sproule, Mixu, Colin Nish...all for very different reasons

It's not an exact science [emoji846]

Bojang cult hero 100% [emoji2036][emoji91]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heretoday
09-02-2023, 02:44 AM
I'd say legends fall into two camps. Those who wowed us all with their football ability and hard work on the pitch and those who retain a quirky quality and about whom stories are told. There are dozens of them in the first camp, thankfully, but not all that many in the second.

HoboHarry
09-02-2023, 03:20 AM
Hearts supporters who can think is another myth :na na:

:top marks That was funny :greengrin

RIP Bestie
09-02-2023, 05:45 AM
Players who take time to do things like this.
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/articl...l-to-young-fan

KeithTheHibby
09-02-2023, 06:07 AM
Lewis is up there with the famous five and Pat Stanton.
I think anyone who has played hundreds of games for Hibs could be classed as a legend.

Players like Joe T and Benny Brazil, despite the length of time spent at the club were anything but first team players and often the scapegoat for the fans. To their credit they loved the club and stuck around which makes them cult heroes.

Hibernian Verse
09-02-2023, 07:03 AM
Ultimate Cult Hero is surely Amadou Konte. Got us into Europe.

BILLYHIBS
09-02-2023, 07:15 AM
Matty Jack surely a cult hero

Had a position named after him

neil7908
09-02-2023, 08:02 AM

This stuff is obviously all personal, there's no right and wrong but for me he is 100%. That's probably largely the age I was when he joined but imo legend status is more than just success on the pitch - its about getting the club and having a genuine affinity for us.

Despite his previous success Sauzee always gave 100%, was an outstanding player and person, and put his body on the line for the club.

I don't want to derail this discussion but despite giving us the best day of our lives supporting the club, Stokes will never be a legend for me. SDG gets legend status not just for his goal but everything else that goes with him and his service over years.

heid the baw
09-02-2023, 08:55 AM
Lewis, only player to win Scottish cup and league cup with Hibs plus 450 games and counting
Conrad Logan, penalty shoot out hero who punched above his weight when no-one expected it
Both different kinds of legends, but legends all the same

Since452
09-02-2023, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Cult Hero is surely Amadou Konte. Got us into Europe.

Sure we had around 6k at Fir Park that day.

Hibernian Verse
09-02-2023, 09:19 AM
Sure we had around 6k at Fir Park that day.

The away stand was full to the brim, I'm not sure how many that holds.

I was right behind the goals as he fell on his arse and sclaffed it in.

One Day Soon
09-02-2023, 04:15 PM
Remember that time I described Scott Brown as a Hibs legend on here? Man, that went crazy.

Edina Street
09-02-2023, 05:24 PM
Remember that time I described Scott Brown as a Hibs legend on here? Man, that went crazy.

I don't see anything wrong with your opinion. It is certainly worth considering that one of the main members of the Golden Generation that won a League Cup medal and pocketed Hibernian a sound £4.4m may be considered a legend. At least he didn't leave Hibs on a free transfer.

Wilson
09-02-2023, 05:42 PM

Scott Brown moved to a competitor and done far more in their shirt than he ever did in ours. Calling him a hibs legend would rightly draw heat.

A very good player that passed through hibs. Not a hibs legend.

Edina Street
09-02-2023, 05:44 PM
Scott Brown moved to a competitor and done far more in their shirt than he ever did in ours. Calling him a hibs legend would rightly draw heat.

A very good player that passed through hibs. Not a hibs legend.

That's a very good point I think you're making. Can you be a Hibs legend at the same time as being a Celtic legend?

Northernhibee
09-02-2023, 05:58 PM
It’s completely subjective, but for me it’s a combination of achievements, attitude, length of time at club, the way they represent the club off the pitch, Hibs links before joining the club, and also character off the field.

It’s in no particular order and with no particular weighting, but for me Lewis (and Paul) both easily qualify. I also appreciate I’ll be in a small minority with this one, but the last criteria mean that for me, Stokes and Leigh don’t.

I also have to admit, subjective as it is, I don’t understand how Lewis could not qualify as a club legend under any way of judging that status. He’s achieved things nobody else has in the green and white and been an absolute gentleman and beacon of what the club stands for too.

I look forward to discussing how I seen Lewis Stevenson in the green and white in thirty years time.

Hibs4185
09-02-2023, 09:26 PM
Someone who has sold more than 100 pegs

MWHIBBIES
09-02-2023, 09:39 PM

But he's a Celtic legend really. Spend 10 years trying to maim various Hibs players so difficult to like him.

WeeRussell
09-02-2023, 09:52 PM
It’s completely subjective, but for me it’s a combination of achievements, attitude, length of time at club, the way they represent the club off the pitch, Hibs links before joining the club, and also character off the field.

It’s in no particular order and with no particular weighting, but for me Lewis (and Paul) both easily qualify. I also appreciate I’ll be in a small minority with this one, but the last criteria mean that for me, Stokes and Leigh don’t.

I also have to admit, subjective as it is, I don’t understand how Lewis could not qualify as a club legend under any way of judging that status. He’s achieved things nobody else has in the green and white and been an absolute gentleman and beacon of what the club stands for too.

I look forward to discussing how I seen Lewis Stevenson in the green and white in thirty years time.

Griffiths isn’t close to a Hibs legend for me. He could easily have been if he’d played with us a fair bit longer.

Stokes though, despite his unfortunate behaviour since, I struggle to deny given his performance in that game that means so much to us all.

I’ll be talking about his individual brilliance to my grandkids when reminiscing about winning the cup… if I make it that far.

Lewis Stevenson will absolutely go down as one of the biggest Hibs legends in my lifetime whatever and whoever happens now.

Edina Street
09-02-2023, 10:04 PM
Griffiths isn’t close to a Hibs legend for me. He could easily have been if he’d played with us a fair bit longer.

Stokes though, despite his unfortunate behaviour since, I struggle to deny given his performance in that game that means so much to us all.

I’ll be talking about his individual brilliance to my grandkids when reminiscing about winning the cup… if I make it that far.

Lewis Stevenson will absolutely go down as one of the biggest Hibs legends in my lifetime whatever and whoever happens now.

Regarding Leigh Griffiths, it is not often you get a player of Leigh Griffiths quality that actually wants to play for a team that is struggling to make top six. Had only Hibs paid Wolves the meagre sum they were asking for, Hibernian probably would not have got relegated, Pat Fenlon would probably not have resigned, and Leigh might well have went on to become the Steve Bull or Matt Le Tissier of Scottish football. A truly loyal player, despite his ability to play at a higher level.

Even after joining Celtic, he constantly jeopardised his Celtic career with his fanatical support of Hibs and his refusal to celebrate goals against Hibs.

You could have a point though. Leigh Griffiths was only a loan player, it might not be appropriate that a Wolves player be regarded as a Hibernian legend.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2023, 06:01 AM
Regarding Leigh Griffiths, it is not often you get a player of Leigh Griffiths quality that actually wants to play for a team that is struggling to make top six. Had only Hibs paid Wolves the meagre sum they were asking for, Hibernian probably would not have got relegated, Pat Fenlon would probably not have resigned, and Leigh might well have went on to become the Steve Bull or Matt Le Tissier of Scottish football. A truly loyal player, despite his ability to play at a higher level.

Even after joining Celtic, he constantly jeopardised his Celtic career with his fanatical support of Hibs and his refusal to celebrate goals against Hibs.

You could have a point though. Leigh Griffiths was only a loan player, it might not be appropriate that a Wolves player be regarded as a Hibernian legend.

Leigh is a badge kissing Celtic legend. Good player for us for a year but no more a legend than likes of Chris Killen.

Only thing he has in common with Le Tissier is they are both absolute dicks off the park.

Just_Jimmy
10-02-2023, 07:04 AM

You could have a point though. Leigh Griffiths was only a loan player, it might not be appropriate that a Wolves player be regarded as a Hibernian legend.Celtic paid wolves 1 million to buy him after wolves triggered a club extension for a year, following his loan with Hibs.

Why does anyone think Hibs were signing him a) for 150k b) at all?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Irish_Steve
10-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Is a bloke who played only 8 games for Hibs a legend?

In my eyes, Conrad Logan certainly is.

Hillsidehibby
10-02-2023, 08:16 AM
Who gets to say who is a legend? It’s whoever you feel is in my opinion

Crunchie
10-02-2023, 08:25 AM
I've never heard anyone describe Tam McManus as a Hibs legend and I'd worry about the sanity of anyone who did believe him to be. He's not close by any measure. I'd probably have Joe Tortolano in the cult hero bracket. He's player who I think is remembered more fondly as time goes on, at least in part because he has spoken out about how much the vitriolic abuse he got upset him (see it's not a new 'social media' thing).

For me legends are people who have done something special or exceptional at a club. Lewis Stevenson, love him or loathe him as a player, qualifies because he has a unique medal collection among Hibs players and a record number of appearance in league games. Someone like Conrad Logan probably has a foot in the cult hero and legend camp. It' something that people will apply their own parameters too but it is an overused term imo, particularly if anyone is describing McManus as a Hibs legend:greengrin
Every Hibs player who has won a major honour with the club in my eyes constitutes legend status.

Lewey stands alone as a double cup winner and record league appearances, build the statue now I say.

hibsbollah
10-02-2023, 08:41 AM

By that measure the archetypal legend is Amadou Konte.

Since452
10-02-2023, 09:04 AM

It's very difficult to say someone who went up and lifted a trophy (jointly with Rob Jones) and went on to make us around 5 million isn't a Hibs legend.

hibsbollah
10-02-2023, 09:10 AM
It's very difficult to say someone who went up and lifted a trophy (jointly with Rob Jones) and went on to make us around 5 million isn't a Hibs legend.

Played for us for longer than John McGinn, and scored more goals in fact. Probably a similar dynamic impact as a player. he's just looked at differently because of where and what he went on to.

Crunchie
10-02-2023, 09:11 AM
I loved Broonie as a Hibs player, I can't think there are many Hibs fans out there who disagree with you.

The Modfather
10-02-2023, 09:24 AM
Every Hibs player who has won a major honour with the club in my eyes constitutes legend status.

Lewey stands alone as a double cup winner and record league appearances, build the statue now I say.

When are we building the Kevin McCann and Chris Dagnal statues? :devil:

bigwheel
10-02-2023, 09:49 AM
When are we building the Kevin McCann and Chris Dagnal statues? :devil:

Right next to Dave Beaumont :)

SideBurns
10-02-2023, 09:50 AM
That's a very good point I think you're making. Can you be a Hibs legend at the same time as being a Celtic legend?

Pat Stanton 😁? Not sure if Celtic fans would call him a legend, but certainly he'd have been a big favourite there (won trophies with them too)?

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2023, 09:51 AM
Pat Stanton 😁? Not sure if Celtic fans would call him a legend, but certainly he'd have been a big favourite there (won trophies with them too)?

Can't imagine he was much more than another player for them.

hibsbollah
10-02-2023, 09:57 AM
Can't imagine he was much more than another player for them.

https://www.thecelticwiki.com/stanton-pat/

They say pretty much the same here in what is a nice tribute actually...399 league appearances for us, 37 for them, as a sweeper, not a midfielder.

One Day Soon
10-02-2023, 10:08 AM
Someone who has sold more than 100 pegs

This. More than anything else this.

One Day Soon
10-02-2023, 10:18 AM
Played for us for longer than John McGinn, and scored more goals in fact. Probably a similar dynamic impact as a player. he's just looked at differently because of where and what he went on to.

Let us remember too that he never forgot his desire to shove it up the Rover drivers in every game he played in hoops long after he'd left us.

I find funny the convoluted attempts to set subjective rules about what qualifies as legend and what does not. That's got me wondering now about the classification of Hibs players over the years. So I'll have ago with this ten grade classification:

Unfortunate Abomination
Wage Thief
No Mark
Journeyman
Wage Earner
Laudable Hibs Attempt
Matty Jack Class
Brief Green Supernova
Legend
Hibs Class

jacomo
10-02-2023, 10:48 AM

Probably just the EEN who describe him as a legend when chasing him for a quote.

Nothing against Tam, but I’ve never mentioned his name to my kids as a Hibs great from the past… this is surely the measure of a Hibs legend.

Since452
10-02-2023, 10:52 AM
As others have said, people will decide themselves who they class as a legend. I think we can all agree that Tam McManus is definitely not!

SideBurns
10-02-2023, 11:05 AM

They say pretty much the same here in what is a nice tribute actually...399 league appearances for us, 37 for them, as a sweeper, not a midfielder.

That's a great tribute, probably a fair reflection of how Pat is regarded by their fans from his relatively short time there.

Ach, it was a bit of a flippant remark on my part. The main subject of the debate was Brown, who is also a Hibs legend in my book - doubtful we'd have won the League Cup in 2007 without his performances (especially in the semi-final v St.Johnstone when we didn't play well, but he dragged us through the tie in my opinion).

Northernhibee
10-02-2023, 02:20 PM
YouTube just recommended the "Time For Heroes" live stream of the cup final squad with Cliff Pike's commentary.

Even if there is a debate for who is individually a legend and who isn't, I love every single member of that squad. Probably the best day of my life and that squad as a unit is legendary.

marinello59
11-02-2023, 11:37 AM
For me, a club legend ultimately comes down to their attitude and commitment towards the club. Not just for how they conduct themselves on the pitch, but as much off it as well.

:agree:

Joelle Murray surely qualifies.

Speedy
11-02-2023, 12:03 PM

Agreed.

For me a legend is a player who is talked about (positively) for generations.

Stevenson will absolutely fit that. As will the majority of the scottish cup winning team.

Ultimate Hibs legends are Joe Baker, Eddie Turnbull, Pat Stanton, Franck Sauzee.

Speedy
11-02-2023, 12:10 PM

John Collins?

AgentDaleCooper
11-02-2023, 01:05 PM
Legends of my time (basically since I started following Hibs around 1996):

SDG
Stevenson
Sauzee

Greats:

Latapy
McGinn
Keith
Deeks
Murphy
Daz
Hanlon
Mixu
Boyler
Ivan
Rob Jones
McGinlay

Cult Heroes:

Big Conrad
Boozy
Jimmy Bocco
Amadou

Nearly-great:

O'Connor - his second stint was marred with off field issues
Broony - spent too long at Celtic for me to be able to be able to think of him like that
Fletcher - again, spent too long elsewhere later in his career
...in fact, most of the golden generation team, possibly excluding Kev, which is a shame...but he brought it on himself.
Scotty Allan
McGeouch
Leigh
Possibly Benji and Zemmama, though they never felt consistent enough

Maybe there needs to be another category like 'hero' for the people who won cups etc, like Cumdog, Hendo etc...

A Hi-Bee
11-02-2023, 01:08 PM
May, be many players who think they are legends in their own minds.
:cb

MWHIBBIES
11-02-2023, 01:12 PM
Legends of my time (basically since I started following Hibs around 1996):

SDG
Stevenson
Sauzee

Greats:

Latapy
McGinn
Keith
Deeks
Murphy
Daz
Hanlon
Mixu
Boyler
Ivan
Rob Jones
McGinlay

Cult Heroes:

Big Conrad
Boozy
Jimmy Bocco
Amadou

Nearly-great:

O'Connor - his second stint was marred with off field issues
Broony - spent too long at Celtic for me to be able to be able to think of him like that
Fletcher - again, spent too long elsewhere later in his career
...in fact, most of the golden generation team, possibly excluding Kev, which is a shame...but he brought it on himself.
Scotty Allan
McGeouch
Leigh
Possibly Benji and Zemmama, though they never felt consistent enough

Maybe there needs to be another category like 'hero' for the people who won cups etc, like Cumdog, Hendo etc...

Massive disrespect to Fletcher to have him on the level of Griffith's and O'Connor imo.

He came through our system and scored twice in a cup final before moving for a huge fee. Far ahead of those 2.

Obviously your opinion though. We all have different answers on this thread which I've enjoyed.

Edina Street
13-02-2023, 04:00 AM
Celtic paid wolves 1 million to buy him after wolves triggered a club extension for a year, following his loan with Hibs.

Why does anyone think Hibs were signing him a) for 150k b) at all?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Perhaps it is just a common misperception then.

Edina Street
13-02-2023, 04:03 AM
Is a bloke who played only 8 games for Hibs a legend?

In my eyes, Conrad Logan certainly is.

Definitely a Hibernian hero.

Edina Street
13-02-2023, 04:13 AM
Pat Stanton ��? Not sure if Celtic fans would call him a legend, but certainly he'd have been a big favourite there (won trophies with them too)?

Pat Stanton went public in his book and expressed that he did not want to go to Celtic, and that it was Eddie Turnbull's decision. Also, I think Pat Stanton has done enough work with Hibernian since retiring as a player to suggest that his heart truly lies with Hibs.

I was rather surprised to see Pat Stanton appear in Irvine Welsh's "Acid House" however. A film, which I thoroughly enjoyed watching as a young man, that is all about drugs, does not seem consistent with Pat's character (or at least the character that I envision). However it does not effect my overall image of the man one iota. I just wonder if when he agreed to the role he knew what type of film it was.

Edina Street
13-02-2023, 04:27 AM
John Collins?

John Collins is definitely a legend for me, as he was one of my earliest idols as a young boy, along with Andy Goram. His coming back to Easter Road as a manager and winning the League Cup so quickly cemented it for me.

Was rather sad when he resigned, and I could not but help feel a degree of anger towards that other Hibs hero, the invincible Rob Jones, whom I've been lead to believe lead a player revolt against my boyhood idol, before leaving Hibs to disappear into obscurity.

Rightly or wrongly, I have always taken John Collins's side of this debate, though I am thankful for the part that Rob Jones played in Hibernian's League Cup victory, and he is also definitely a hero.

Edina Street
17-02-2023, 05:34 PM
Le God probably our best ever foreign signing followed by the Little Magician

I loved the both of them. However, at the time, it was Russel Latapy that was number one for me. It is not often that a Hibs player gets voted 33rd best player in the world. If my memory serves me correctly it was not until later years that Franck Sauzee became regarded as the bigger legend. Perhaps there is a number of reasons for that. Russel may have been disgraced a little due to his drink driving. Also a Hibs book came out dedicated to Franck Sauzee. This might have influenced it.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football%3A+Latapy%27s+SPL%27s+sole+poll+star.-a067912159

It is a unique honour for 32-year-old Latapy, who shares equal 33rd place alongside such leading lights as Manchester United's Roy Keane and Arsenal's Dennis Bergkamp.

beensaidbefore
17-02-2023, 09:48 PM

Brilliant read. Thanks for posting.

HIBS NUTS
18-02-2023, 11:16 AM
A legend is a player that scores a injury time goal in a scottish cup we haven’t won in 114 years, against the most horrible club that have ever existed .

A Hi-Bee
18-02-2023, 11:24 AM
Anyone who pulls that most famous of all green jersey's over his head, has the potential to become a legend, very few manage it.
:aok: