PDA

View Full Version : Laidlaw and Megwa

GGTTH07
07-02-2023, 08:25 PM
Think these two look like they have a chance. What ever hibs are doing with the contract to Laidlaw needs sorted asap, could have a real player there

yerauldda
07-02-2023, 08:29 PM
The two standouts for me too. Looked like men.

Blaney, O’Connor & Aiken very impressive also.

Unseen work
07-02-2023, 08:32 PM
Those 2 and Blaney absolute standouts to me

Don’t want to individually criticise any of the others but I think tonight showed there’s still a bit of development to go yet before some are in the first team.

However they were against one of the biggest clubs in Europe with the best academy’s so the might cops better against some Scottish teams 🤣 all the dortmund guys looked really athletic and more advanced physically

GonzoReturns
07-02-2023, 08:46 PM
Give Laidlaw a good contract and game time in the first team. He is a player.

Stokesy's on fire
07-02-2023, 08:48 PM
Megawa looks ready for the first team

bingo70
07-02-2023, 08:52 PM
I was really impressed with Laidlaw, seemed to have quite an unusual running style that meant he was deceptively fast, wasn’t an explosive burst of pace but just seemed to cover ground quickly.

Does he normally play out wide or was he pushed out there as we only had one up front? I thought he was a striker?

Real Emerald
07-02-2023, 08:52 PM
I thought Laidlaw was a standout amongst all the other terrific performances. He really should be offered a decent contract, looks like he’s got the lot, skill, strength, pace and a football brain. Very good player.

Hibbyradge
07-02-2023, 08:53 PM
I had to watch this on a train without sound. Was Laidlaw number 4?

bingo70
07-02-2023, 08:55 PM
I had to watch this on a train without sound. Was Laidlaw number 4?

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by that. Does he normally wear number 4?

Hibbyradge
07-02-2023, 08:57 PM

:dunno:

He's nippy for sure, though.

Unseen work
07-02-2023, 08:59 PM
I was really impressed with Laidlaw, seemed to have quite an unusual running style that meant he was deceptively fast, wasn’t an explosive burst of pace but just seemed to cover ground quickly.

Does he normally play out wide or was he pushed out there as we only had one up front? I thought he was a striker?

I’ve only seen him a couple of times but he reminds me a bit of David turnbull but more pacey.

A couple of his touches, cryuffs and passes were brilliant and so composed, could definitely see him playing in a central position behind the striker and having the ability to drift wide or run in behind with his pace.

I loved his ability to run from deep with the ball too and take us 30 odd yards up the pitch

Ozyhibby
07-02-2023, 09:03 PM
Laidlaw was a standout for me tonight. Thought he was the best player on the pitch for either team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bingo70
07-02-2023, 09:04 PM
I’ve only seen him a couple of times but he reminds me a bit of David turnbull but more pacey.

A couple of his touches, cryuffs and passes were brilliant and so composed, could definitely see him playing in a central position behind the striker and having the ability to drift wide or run in behind with his pace.

I loved his ability to run from deep with the ball too and take us 30 odd yards up the pitch

Yeah, the Dortmund lads couldn’t work out how to deal with him as he could do them for pace on the outside or just as easily step inside and go the other way. Needs to be offered a long contract as the big boys will be wanting him soon if they’re not already.

Hibernian Verse
07-02-2023, 09:06 PM
Yeah, the Dortmund lads couldn’t work out how to deal with him as he could do them for pace on the outside or just as easily step inside and go the other way. Needs to be offered a long contract as the big boys will be wanting him soon if they’re not already.

Aston Villa we’re sniffing about

eastmainsmsh
07-02-2023, 09:17 PM
Blaney was very good as well

superfurryhibby
07-02-2023, 09:18 PM
Laidlaw was very good tonight, but ran out of steam during the last quarter, otherwise I suspect he might have finished the chance he created. He was a class act.

Megwa did very well against a tricky opponent and the big number 5 was good too.

Eyrie
07-02-2023, 09:33 PM
Megwa and Laidlaw were the two that caught my eye watching on TV.

Shrekko
07-02-2023, 09:35 PM
Megwa had their supposed star in his pocket that first half and Laidlaw definitely looked a level above when he got the chance to run with the ball. Plenty of other good performances too so very encouraging. I wonder why the European boys always look a bit more physically developed than our boys though?

Unseen work
07-02-2023, 09:37 PM
I can see Johnson having Laidlaw in the squad on Saturday and potentially giving him minutes.

He seems the type to understand what having a young player fans are buzzing about in the team can do.

I also think tonight he’ll have seen he can handle the pressure and he done the defensive side of things very well too.

McGruber
07-02-2023, 09:43 PM
Is Laidlaw out of contract in the summer?

Greencore
07-02-2023, 09:45 PM
Is Laidlaw out of contract in the summer?

Yep

McGruber
07-02-2023, 09:48 PM
Yep

We need to be all over that. Would hate to lose him before he gets going for us, though if others have been sniffing might already be too late

SMAXXA
07-02-2023, 09:49 PM
Seemingly laidlaw has ben offered an embarrassing contract he’s not signing. Figure I got told no wonder it’s like it’s the bare minimum to ensure we get compensation if he leaves on a free.

McGruber
07-02-2023, 09:53 PM
Seemingly laidlaw has ben offered an embarrassing contract he’s not signing. Figure I got told no wonder it’s like it’s the bare minimum to ensure we get compensation if he leaves on a free.

As promising as our under 19s and youth are, if we aren't going to put a decent contract infront of the better ones then what's the point. If it's a good contract offer and they still turn it down then fair enough. He looks a real talent, hopefully somebody in charge intervenes. Is this maybe why he is getting overlooked for the first team squads in favour of others?

Hibbyradge
07-02-2023, 09:59 PM
As promising as our under 19s and youth are, if we aren't going to put a decent contract infront of the better ones then what's the point. If it's a good contract offer and they still turn it down then fair enough. He looks a real talent, hopefully somebody in charge intervenes. Is this maybe why he is getting overlooked for the first team squads in favour of others?

Hibs see the youngsters every day. If they're not being offered big contracts, it's because Hibs don't rate them.

Hibs don't often make mistakes when they let players go.

Unseen work
07-02-2023, 10:00 PM

Be interesting to know what it’s like in comparison to other young players his age that haven’t played for the first team.

Could give him a big wage and a long contract and he could be miles off it when he actually starts.

McGruber
07-02-2023, 10:09 PM
Hibs see the youngsters every day. If they're not being offered big contracts, it's because Hibs don't rate them.

Hibs don't often make mistakes when they let players go.

True, not often. Still, mistakes do get made. Based on that showing it's no wonder these other teams are sniffing around

Hibee Mac
07-02-2023, 10:49 PM
As far as I'm aware Laidlaw has been one of our best prospects for a wee while now, surprised we might be on the verge of losing him...

Johnny Clash
07-02-2023, 11:10 PM
Didn’t realise this game was on tv until I got off train at King’s Cross tonight. Managed to find a seat in a pub and watched on my phone with headphones on. Surreal watching the wee hibees play live like that but it was a great performance. Thing is with headphones I didn’t realise how loud my swearing was when their second went in. Well done to all the lads and agree Laidlaw really stood out.

PHeffernan
08-02-2023, 12:26 AM
I can see Johnson having Laidlaw in the squad on Saturday and potentially giving him minutes.

He seems the type to understand what having a young player fans are buzzing about in the team can do.

I also think tonight he’ll have seen he can handle the pressure and he done the defensive side of things very well too.

:faf:
We don't have a game at the weekend

eastmainsmsh
08-02-2023, 02:23 AM
Could be silly to allow Laidlaw to leave

Winston Ingram
08-02-2023, 06:25 AM
The two standouts for me too. Looked like men.

Blaney, O’Connor & Aiken very impressive also.

I thought O'Connor was awful

DJ HIBBY
08-02-2023, 06:27 AM
I thought O'Connor was awful

Don’t think he should be central striker with back to goal, looked like he would better on right of a front 3 like Boyle does in first team. His best moments in game came from playing on this side

Winston Ingram
08-02-2023, 06:27 AM

I couldn't believe how quick he was. The chance he missed, he started behind the defender and he left him for dead.

Winston Ingram
08-02-2023, 06:28 AM
Don’t think he should be central striker with back to goal, looked like he would better on right of a front 3 like Boyle does in first team. His best moments in game came from playing on this side

Agreed. He was nowhere near strong enough.

McGruber
08-02-2023, 07:10 AM
Could be silly to allow Laidlaw to leave

Johnson had a lot to say about the club not offering the right contract to Porteous when he was younger. Laidlaw is obviously a lot earlier in development but with Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Villa etc having a look and that performance against top opposition last night, surely we should be making him a very good offer to sign on. Looks a top prospect. Megwa and Blaney both stood out too

Brightside
08-02-2023, 07:21 AM

He usually plays in a 3 but we were obviously more defensive last night. He was shattered in the 2nd half and that when we started to struggle on the right side.

Brightside
08-02-2023, 07:23 AM
Johnson had a lot to say about the club not offering the right contract to Porteous when he was younger. Laidlaw is obviously a lot earlier in development but with Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Villa etc having a look and that performance against top opposition last night, surely we should be making him a very good offer to sign on. Looks a top prospect. Megwa and Blaney both stood out too

Nobody knows what contracts have been discussed with any of the young players yet. But remember none of them are first teamers yet and some of the wages people reckon they should be on are just plain daft.

Brooster
08-02-2023, 07:29 AM
I've been banging on about Laidlaw for ages, he is class. Blaney was also outstanding last night.

GloryGlory
08-02-2023, 07:52 AM
Nobody knows what contracts have been discussed with any of the young players yet. But remember none of them are first teamers yet and some of the wages people reckon they should be on are just plain daft.

Surely Hibs could devise contracts that start with a basic wage (plus appearance money and win bonuses) then automatically increases a bit after X first team games and maybe has another increase and renegotiation clause after X+Y first team games? It gives the young player an incentive to get into the first team and then to do well enough to stay there.

SMAXXA
08-02-2023, 07:54 AM

Well I’d certainly expect him to be offered more than what we have offered him

bingo70
08-02-2023, 07:54 AM

Laidlaw maybe also has a decision to make as to what he wants from his career in the short term.

He’s on the verge of first team football with us, if he was to join the likes of Villa he would get money far greater than we could offer but he would be miles off first team football. I completely get it’s a job to them but I’d like to think there’s an ambition to achieve on the pitch too.

I think he’s got a real chance of being a bit special, going and playing reserve team football down south for 3/4 years won’t help him achieve that.

superfurryhibby
08-02-2023, 08:01 AM
Well I’d certainly expect him to be offered more than what we have offered him

How do you know what we've offered him?

SMAXXA
08-02-2023, 08:04 AM
How do you know what we've offered him?

Doesn’t matter how I know but I’d hope from the amount of time I’ve been position on here you’d have the view I wouldn’t make things up

superfurryhibby
08-02-2023, 08:14 AM
Doesn’t matter how I know but I’d hope from the amount of time I’ve been position on here you’d have the view I wouldn’t make things up

Well, I have noticed you as a poster but haven't really noticed your posting "personality" :greengrin

Brightside, who I assume is undoubtedly connected to a senior player at the club, mentioned that some young players have an inflated view of their worth.

I can understand young guys being swayed by tales of Tavares and the likes of Melkersen being offered high weekly wages and them thinking, I'm being offered a third of that or whatever, nae chance. Any general insight into the amounts of money Hibs might be offering to a youth player stepping up to a bigger contract? A grand a week plus bonuses? Less or more?

My advice would be to sign up and get into the first team. If they're good enough the club will sell them at quickly enough, if offers come in.

On viewing last night, Laidlaw has the potential. O'Connor should take a reality check, he's nowhere near ready to play regularly in our first team.

The Modfather
08-02-2023, 08:49 AM
Laidlaw maybe also has a decision to make as to what he wants from his career in the short term.

He’s on the verge of first team football with us, if he was to join the likes of Villa he would get money far greater than we could offer but he would be miles off first team football. I completely get it’s a job to them but I’d like to think there’s an ambition to achieve on the pitch too.

I think he’s got a real chance of being a bit special, going and playing reserve team football down south for 3/4 years won’t help him achieve that.

He’s maybe also looking at the short term and wondering if Hibs is best for his development. He’s seen us bring in the likes of Melkerson, Tavares, Bojang, Mckirdy over the last few windows to little effect other than blocking his pathway. He will also have seen our reluctance to play the U19s when the opportunity is there. No left backs v Rangers so we played Campbell out of position instead of Macintyre. No RB’s against second bottom of the league Dundee Utd but we chose again to play Campbell out of position instead of Megwa.

Since452
08-02-2023, 09:02 AM
Megwa wouldn't have looked out of place in a Dortmund shirt. Very impressive.

kentao
08-02-2023, 09:05 AM
One of the development players that is around the fringes of the first team is rumoured to be on 2k a week, i was surprised when i was told as I assumed most 1st team regulars would be on around 2 - 3k a week with the exception of your Boyles Nisbets and Portos.

We must have high hopes for the laddie or my assumption of the average wage in the squad is miles out.

Laidlaw does look a decent player so would be interesting to know what the club have offered considering the reported interest from down south.

Brightside
08-02-2023, 09:13 AM
Well, I have noticed you as a poster but haven't really noticed your posting "personality" :greengrin

Brightside, who I assume is undoubtedly connected to a senior player at the club, mentioned that some young players have an inflated view of their worth.

I can understand young guys being swayed by tales of Tavares and the likes of Melkersen being offered high weekly wages and them thinking, I'm being offered a third of that or whatever, nae chance. Any general insight into the amounts of money Hibs might be offering to a youth player stepping up to a bigger contract? A grand a week plus bonuses? Less or more?

My advice would be to sign up and get into the first team. If they're good enough the club will sell them at quickly enough, if offers come in.

On viewing last night, Laidlaw has the potential. O'Connor should take a reality check, he's nowhere near ready to play regularly in our first team.

I'm not connected to any senior players. Just want to make that clear. My view is that some of these boys clearly have talent but some of the wages being talked about by their advisors would make them better paid than half the Premier league. Its not going to happen.

Brightside
08-02-2023, 09:14 AM

There is no way a youth player should be on a grand a week at Hibs. Not even close. If we start doing that we are in serious trouble.

bingo70
08-02-2023, 09:15 AM
I'm not connected to any senior players. Just want to make that clear. My view is that some of these boys clearly have talent but some of the wages being talked about by their advisors would make them better paid than half the Premier league. Its not going to happen.

There also needs to be a recognition that the step up to men’s football is still a big jump.

If you think of the worst players we’ve seen at Easter Road, they’d all stand out and shine at under 19 level football.

superfurryhibby
08-02-2023, 09:19 AM
There is no way a youth player should be on a grand a week at Hibs. Not even close. If we start doing that we are in serious trouble.

Talking about when/if he signed a new contract.

I thought you were related Paul Hanlon, lol. Your credibility is shattered (joking).

Brightside
08-02-2023, 09:27 AM
There also needs to be a recognition that the step up to men’s football is still a big jump.

If you think of the worst players we’ve seen at Easter Road, they’d all stand out and shine at under 19 level football.

100% which is why they need to get some game time here and there. Laidlaw for one would be a great swap for McGeady after 60 mins most weeks. And its a position you can chuck a young lad into rather than Blainey who will have to wait longer. Megwa another who is probably closer physically than others in the squad. But our recent signings probably puts him back a bit again. Next season I'd like to see Megwa, Oscar, Laidlaw in the squad most weeks with Josh O and Aiken also seeing some time in the lesser games.

superfurryhibby
08-02-2023, 09:34 AM
100% which is why they need to get some game time here and there. Laidlaw for one would be a great swap for McGeady after 60 mins most weeks. And its a position you can chuck a young lad into rather than Blainey who will have to wait longer. Megwa another who is probably closer physically than others in the squad. But our recent signings probably puts him back a bit again. Next season I'd like to see Megwa, Oscar, Laidlaw in the squad most weeks with Josh O and Aiken also seeing some time in the lesser games.

MacIntyre looked nowhere near ready to play first team football last night, maybe not his best performance, but I was surprised at how he played and assumed he would have stood out more.

bingo70
08-02-2023, 09:35 AM

Yup, couldn’t agree more.

I mentioned elsewhere I’m not convinced we are managing McGeadys return to fitness well, making use of Laidlaw from the bench would allow us to do this better I think.

Bayern Bru
08-02-2023, 09:45 AM
MacIntyre looked nowhere near ready to play first team football last night, maybe not his best performance, but I was surprised at how he played and assumed he would have stood out more.

I've seen Oscar have better games but in fairness he was up against Brunner, who is considered one of the brightest talents in his age group.

Brightside
08-02-2023, 10:10 AM
One of the development players that is around the fringes of the first team is rumoured to be on 2k a week, i was surprised when i was told as I assumed most 1st team regulars would be on around 2 - 3k a week with the exception of your Boyles Nisbets and Portos.

We must have high hopes for the laddie or my assumption of the average wage in the squad is miles out.

Laidlaw does look a decent player so would be interesting to know what the club have offered considering the reported interest from down south.

Who are you classing as a Dev Player? I don't doubt there will be recent signings that will be on 2k a week. But not youth players.

kentao
08-02-2023, 10:17 AM
Who are you classing as a Dev Player? I don't doubt there will be recent signings that will be on 2k a week. But not youth players.
Macintyre

McGruber
08-02-2023, 10:18 AM
He’s maybe also looking at the short term and wondering if Hibs is best for his development. He’s seen us bring in the likes of Melkerson, Tavares, Bojang, Mckirdy over the last few windows to little effect other than blocking his pathway. He will also have seen our reluctance to play the U19s when the opportunity is there. No left backs v Rangers so we played Campbell out of position instead of Macintyre. No RB’s against second bottom of the league Dundee Utd but we chose again to play Campbell out of position instead of Megwa.

You are right, we are still reluctant to put our young players in and give them a chance. Hopefully now with some players off the books we will see some more of them

Brightside
08-02-2023, 10:19 AM
Macintyre

I would be astonished if he is on 2k a week. Anything over 500 would be madness at this point.

McGruber
08-02-2023, 10:21 AM
I've been banging on about Laidlaw for ages, he is class. Blaney was also outstanding last night.

Laidlaw, Blaney and Megwa stood out but also liked the look of Hamilton, looked very mobile in midfield

Unseen work
08-02-2023, 10:43 AM
I've seen Oscar have better games but in fairness he was up against Brunner, who is considered one of the brightest talents in his age group.

Mental to think that Brunner is only 16.

kentao
08-02-2023, 10:52 AM
I would be astonished if he is on 2k a week. Anything over 500 would be madness at this point.

I was told this about 6 months ago when he had just signed his new contract at the time i hadn't really heard of him apart from seeing the brothers names on the hibs website. Can understand why I was surprised.

SMAXXA are the figures offered to Laidlaw higher or lower than 2k a week?

Brooster
08-02-2023, 11:09 AM
Behave, this is getting out of control, no chance is Oscar on £2k a week, nothing near it. I know he signed a new contract but cmon. Every player who signs his first pro contract goes on to £200 pw. That's not negotiable.

Greenworld
08-02-2023, 11:09 AM
To be fair there were a lot of performances last night that stood out . Magwa.. laidlaw ..really stood out though and it would be lunacy to loose them so 1000 / a week and a 5 year contract to both of them should be sorted out but then you look at other players and you go its not that easy . How many will hibs want to keep out of that group?
Robbie Hamilton I thought was excellent along with both Murray aitken and Jacob blaney..
So these 5 in my opinion are must sign if some are not already

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

PatHead
08-02-2023, 11:11 AM

Likelihood is that he wouldn't play reserve team football for 3/4 years. The bigger clubs loan the promising players out and they continue to develop there. What these youngsters need to decide is whether they are better going to these clubs with the higher income they will provide or staying with Hibs, breaking into the first team and getting a move to a larger club as an experienced first team player.

Greenworld
08-02-2023, 11:12 AM
Behave, this is getting out of control, no chance is Oscar on £2k a week, nothing near it. I know he signed a new contract but cmon. Every player who signs his first pro contract goes on to £200 pw. That's not negotiable.200 pound lol no chance got to be somewhere between 500 and 1000

Brooster
08-02-2023, 11:14 AM
200 pound lol no chance got to be somewhere between 500 and 1000

You may well laugh but you are just making things up, I'm not. All first full time contracts are £200pw.

superfurryhibby
08-02-2023, 11:14 AM
200 pound lol no chance got to be somewhere between 500 and 1000

He's referring to their first pro contracts, signed no doubt when they are 16.

kentao
08-02-2023, 11:22 AM
Behave, this is getting out of control, no chance is Oscar on £2k a week, nothing near it. I know he signed a new contract but cmon. Every player who signs his first pro contract goes on to £200 pw. That's not negotiable.

Not claiming to be in the know but the source was one of his mates. i thought at the time 2k a week didn't sound right or the boy must be very talented.

CapitalGreen
08-02-2023, 11:23 AM
Not claiming to be in the know but the source was one of his mates. i thought at the time 2k a week didn't sound right or the boy must be very talented.

His mate is having you on, he isn’t earning £100k per year to play reserve football, not even close.

scoopyboy
08-02-2023, 11:43 AM
Couldn't argue about what the laddies earn these days but Brooster is right when he says fixed wages on first pro contract.

In the Paul Hanlon, Sean Welsh, Lee Currie, David Wotherspoon era they all got two year contracts.

£100pw in the first season and £125 in the second.

And they still managed to give Anthony Stokes a sub.

kentao
08-02-2023, 11:56 AM
Can kind of understand why Laidlaw might not fancy the Hibs offer. If he's the stand out player in the team with interest else where I don't think I'd be in a rush to commit to £200 a week.

superfurryhibby
08-02-2023, 11:58 AM
Can kind of understand why Laidlaw might not fancy the Hibs offer. If he's the stand out player in the team with interest else where I don't think I'd be in a rush to commit to £200 a week.

I think you're not grasping this. Read the thread and comprehend :wink: Laidlaw isn't being asked to sign his first pro contract, he did that two years ago.

nonshinyfinish
08-02-2023, 11:59 AM

Unless I've misunderstood, no one is saying he's been offered £200/week, they're saying that will be his current wage (along with anyone else still on their starting pro contract).

TheSouthMoroccan
08-02-2023, 12:02 PM
Given the comments made by LJ about Porteous's circumstances not having been resolved back in the day, the fact that the stand out player last night is out of contract at the end of this season perhaps says it all about the way the club is being managed behind the scenes. Always difficult to really know what's going on in the background but as the old adage goes, if it looks like sh*te, smells like sh*te, it probably is.

kentao
08-02-2023, 12:15 PM
I think you're not grasping this. Read the thread and comprehend :wink: Laidlaw isn't being asked to sign his first pro contract, he did that two years ago.

My mistake :na na:

SMAXXA
08-02-2023, 12:30 PM
I was told this about 6 months ago when he had just signed his new contract at the time i hadn't really heard of him apart from seeing the brothers names on the hibs website. Can understand why I was surprised.

SMAXXA are the figures offered to Laidlaw higher or lower than 2k a week?

Nowhere near that, more like just lower then 300 a week which I was amazed at, 260 I believe was the offer

superfurryhibby
08-02-2023, 12:35 PM
Nowhere near that, more like just lower then 300 a week which I was amazed at, 260 I believe was the offer

The minimum wage for 18 year olds in 6.83/ hour. Not sure what players contracted hours say but I find it hard to believe that Hibs are offering our brightest young talent a wage like that.

brog
08-02-2023, 12:39 PM

Talking about when/if he signed a new contract.

I thought you were related Paul Hanlon, lol. Your credibility is shattered (joking).

Shhhh! It's a bromance! :greengrin

Musselbound
08-02-2023, 12:40 PM

It's confirmed in the press that Keane changed the team numbers to try to confuse Dortmund. They had to be given to UEFA the night before. So for instance Laidlaw wore 4 and Megwa 10.

Unseen work
08-02-2023, 12:45 PM
I think it’s worth remembering that whilst the basic wage may seem low there is often bonuses/incentives within them.

Things like extra money for being in the first team squad on game day, getting on the pitch, win bonus etc etc

I’ve heard of young players being on a relatively low basic wage but having a £500 appearance fee.

It’s a good way of clubs protecting themselves and looking after the players.

If the player isn’t getting on he isn’t good enough and the club aren’t stuck. If he is he’s getting a very healthy wage.

We’ve seen loads of players come through that are meant to be the next big thing really struggle in the first team

Stairway 2 7
08-02-2023, 12:50 PM
People wanted Conor Young getting game time and he's not getting kept on at rangers after performing poorly against adults this season in the lower leagues.

The management team see these players perform in training against spl players weekly, they know who can handle what. There is a world of difference between 19s and the adult game. If they are ready I'm sure they will get on

Brightside
08-02-2023, 02:19 PM
You may well laugh but you are just making things up, I'm not. All first full time contracts are £200pw.

This is right unless they have changed it recently. Even 500 would be huge money for players that aren't in the first team. There are Livingston players that don't earn that and they are above us in the league!

Brightside
08-02-2023, 02:22 PM
The minimum wage for 18 year olds in 6.83/ hour. Not sure what players contracted hours say but I find it hard to believe that Hibs are offering our brightest young talent a wage like that.

They only work about 15 hrs a week. :wink:

Tyler Durden
08-02-2023, 03:38 PM
It's confirmed in the press that Keane changed the team numbers to try to confuse Dortmund. They had to be given to UEFA the night before. So for instance Laidlaw wore 4 and Megwa 10.

I did wonder if that was the reason. What a pointless exercise!

I remember Andy Roxburgh did the same for the Scotland squad at Euro 92. So you had Brian McClair as number 3 and Stuart McKimmie as number 9, that kind of thing.

What a waste of time

greenlex
08-02-2023, 03:44 PM
Regards the young lads wages I think it’s worthwhile remembering they get fed 5 days a week on top. A little thing but always good to take on board.

King conrad
08-02-2023, 03:49 PM
People wanted Conor Young getting game time and he's not getting kept on at rangers after performing poorly against adults this season in the lower leagues.

The management team see these players perform in training against spl players weekly, they know who can handle what. There is a world of difference between 19s and the adult game. If they are ready I'm sure they will get on

He'll be regretting leaving Hibs if that's true.
Did he not sign a three year deal?

PHeffernan
08-02-2023, 04:06 PM
For me watching last nights game, Laidlaw is the only Hibs player in that team we are in any danger of losing.
I suspect Hibs will sign him up first and on good terms for an 18 year old (circa £400 a week plus 1st team appearance bonus)
His career as a professional will start from that new contract. Some of his team mates will get new contracts but earning less and others sadly won't and will leave the club.
It's about to get a whole lot more brutal and serious for these young guys.

cabbageandribs1875
08-02-2023, 04:08 PM

wonder how his auld man is feeling about that now, sure it was reported at the time that it was him encouraging the laddie to go there.

of course the lad maybe wanted it as well right enough

cabbageandribs1875
08-02-2023, 04:10 PM
For me watching last nights game, Laidlaw is the only Hibs player in that team we are in any danger of losing.
I suspect Hibs will sign him up first and on good terms for an 18 year old.
His career as a professional will start from that new contract. Some of his team mates will get contracts earning a bit less and others sadly will have to move on.
It's about to get a whole lot more brutal and serious for these young guys.

a lot of shattered dreams

Stairway 2 7
08-02-2023, 04:18 PM
He'll be regretting leaving Hibs if that's true.
Did he not sign a three year deal?

Told he won't be getting many starts next season for the b team again, there might be a chance at a loan somewhere. He'll be 19 in the summer so who knows.

Fact is some said he was a standout in our 19s, it shows the massive gap to the adult game

King conrad
08-02-2023, 04:32 PM
Told he won't be getting many starts next season for the b team again, there might be a chance at a loan somewhere. He'll be 19 in the summer so who knows.

Fact is some said he was a standout in our 19s, it shows the massive gap to the adult game

Yeah i agree, A lot of these boys probably think they're going to make it with that first contract but the reality is very different. Probably a big shock to alot of them when they come up against men

PHeffernan
08-02-2023, 04:43 PM
a lot of shattered dreams

Yeah, as adults we know that very few of Hibs young players will ultimately have a career as a professional player and even less will make it at our level.
If it was my kid I would have them working harder on their education, more chance of being a medical surgeon than a professional footballer. That way if they don't get a contract at 18 they can go to University. Saying that even the guys that get a contract at 18 are well off making it.
Laidlaw and Johnson look the best bets to make it from last nights team.

Eyrie
08-02-2023, 07:12 PM
We did that many years ago for a European game so that Joe Baker would have an easier time. Think whoever wore his #9 was black and blue by the end.

I remember Andy Roxburgh did the same for the Scotland squad at Euro 92. So you had Brian McClair as number 3 and Stuart McKimmie as number 9, that kind of thing.

What a waste of time
Was that not based on the number of caps each player had? Still daft though.

JamesHFC
08-02-2023, 07:20 PM
I'd like to see Laidlaw get more gametime in the first team. He deserves a chance.

killie-hibby
08-02-2023, 07:40 PM
We did that many years ago for a European game so that Joe Baker would have an easier time. Think
ore his #9 was black and blue by the end.

Was that not based on the number of caps each player had? Still daft though.

Joe and Bobby Kinloch changed shirts for the second half.

MikeyS
08-02-2023, 07:45 PM

What a waste of time

The SFA did that in 92 based on amounts of caps earned at the time. The goalies wore traditional numbers but then you had Gough 2, McCoist 5, McKimmie 9 etc.. silly gimmick all the same but it wasn't to confuse opposition.

LewysGot2
08-02-2023, 09:53 PM
Yeah, as adults we know that very few of Hibs young players will ultimately have a career as a professional player and even less will make it at our level.
If it was my kid I would have them working harder on their education, more chance of being a medical surgeon than a professional footballer. That way if they don't get a contract at 18 they can go to University. Saying that even the guys that get a contract at 18 are well off making it.
Laidlaw and Johnson look the best bets to make it from last nights team.

Think the club try to ensure that they get an education whilst in the Development squad. Sean McPartlin is the Club Education Officer or similar role. It’s a good thing as most of them won’t “make it” in the way they hope. Golden generations like the Brown-Thomson-Fletcher-Whittaker-Riordan-OConnor lot happen only once in a generaction.

I believe Megwa is a bright boy who stayed on at school till 18. He’s probably not alone. A wise move.

Laidlaw does look like a decent bet. Outside that Aiken, Blaney and McIntyre impress. Johnson has all the raw materials but he is prone to handling errors that he’ll need to eradicate. Spilled the ball last night and the melee afterwards cost the penalty. Seen a fair few games over the last year and have seen it before from him. Not sure if it’s a concentration thing. Hopefully, he goes on to better things. My money is on Laidlaw though.

Eyrie
08-02-2023, 10:01 PM
Joe and Bobby Kinloch changed shirts for the second half.

I knew someone would help out with more detail, thanks.

BS44
09-02-2023, 08:09 AM

I can't see anything about Young being released. Ten youth players are going, but he's not one of them.

CapitalGreen
09-02-2023, 08:15 AM
I can't see anything about Young being released. Ten youth players are going, but he's not one of them.

His contract isn’t up in the summer so if they are wanting to move him on I’d imagine they’ll be looking to transfer him to someone else rather than pay up his remaining contract.

Stairway 2 7
09-02-2023, 09:36 AM

He has been told he won't get much game time, not released. He's free to find a club if he wants or they can help with a loan. He's 19 I'm sure he'll get something, but it depends if he wants to keep getting a wage from rangers

BS44
09-02-2023, 12:09 PM
He has been told he won't get much game time, not released. He's free to find a club if he wants or they can help with a loan. He's 19 I'm sure he'll get something, but it depends if he wants to keep getting a wage from rangers

He was/(is?) Hibs daft. Would he come back from the wilderness?

Stairway 2 7
09-02-2023, 12:23 PM
He was/(is?) Hibs daft. Would he come back from the wilderness?

He is, I'm not sure. They felt let down but its two way, what would hibs offer a 19yo who they say is behind O'connor and Laidlaw(if they stay).

BegbieHSC
10-02-2023, 11:42 AM
Both would do a job in the first team. Hopefully they have good contracts in front of them.