PDA

View Full Version : Lewis should stay for another season

Percy Vere
07-02-2023, 12:23 PM
I believe that Lewis should remain at Hibs for another season and that the club should offer him a new 12 month contract. He’s fit, consistently available, diverse, consummate professional and legend.
Who wouldn’t want his influence among the younger players. And he can still offer a lot to Hibs on and off the pitch.
He’s shown total commitment to Hibs throughout his whole footballing career, we should do the right thing by him and offer a renewed contract. now.

Northernhibee
07-02-2023, 12:24 PM
Still our best left back so it’s a no brainer IMO.

beensaidbefore
100%

Dunbar Hibee
As a squad player, absolutely. Not as a first team starter though.

DH1875
07-02-2023, 12:26 PM
Is his current deal up this summer? 1 year extension please.

GRA
07-02-2023, 12:28 PM
I love Lewy & think he should get a rolling yearly contract until his legs give up. Shouldn't be a first starter every week though, we need to evolve.

Svengali
07-02-2023, 12:39 PM
Agree with general consensus on here that 1yr extension but good squad player. We need a first choice LB, with Lewis back up.

Maybe MacIntyre could step up

hibee_girl
07-02-2023, 12:49 PM
He’s earned it :agree:

HoboHarry
07-02-2023, 12:52 PM
As a squad player, absolutely. Not as a first team starter though.
Every player is a squad player.

J-C
07-02-2023, 12:59 PM
Player/coach position, his interview last year where he recognised he's at the end of his career and it was his job to help the 2 young LB's Doig and Mackie better themselves. End up beside McGregor coaching the youngsters.

Brightside
07-02-2023, 01:03 PM
Its not even a question. But as soon as we lose a game it will be his fault. :wink:

jacomo
07-02-2023, 01:06 PM
Is his current deal up this summer? 1 year extension please.

:agree:

Donegal Hibby
07-02-2023, 01:11 PM
He still got plenty of energy and his fitness his quite remarkable for a 35 year old . Over the last few games he's been running up and down the left side like a 20 year old . He also puts in consistently good performance's and is a good experienced player to have in our squad 100% he should get another year imo .

Dunbar Hibee
07-02-2023, 01:16 PM
Every player is a squad player.

I think you know exactly what I meant.

MrRobot
07-02-2023, 01:27 PM
We need to get a nailed on first team started for LB, but Lewy should absolutely be at the club as backup to that player and to mentor younger players coming through.

matty_f
07-02-2023, 01:34 PM
Lewis is in the team on merit and his performances above anything else warrant an extension.

Crammond Hibee
07-02-2023, 01:37 PM
Lewis is in the team on merit and his performances above anything else warrant an extension.

I totally agree !!!!

Smartie
07-02-2023, 02:09 PM
Absolutely worth another year.

The guy is a beacon of light at Hibs and an example to all the young players.

Sometimes he's a bit easy to patronise and in focusing in on some of his attributes (attitude etc) it actually detracts from the fact that he is still a superb player, technically talented and a first pick entirely on merit.

If someone comes along and takes his shirt then they're going to have to perform to a high standard. The only person out of many to have tried is now playing well in serie A and being touted for bigger moves to bigger clubs.

LaMotta
07-02-2023, 02:12 PM
5 year deal please.

HoboHarry
07-02-2023, 02:15 PM
I really don't. Lewis is still as fit as a butchers dog and performing at a level that warrants an extension. There's nothing in his current form that warrants him being dropped down the pecking order.

Since452
07-02-2023, 02:16 PM
He shouldn't get a new contract on sentiment alone. Needs to offer something on the park. In my opinion he still does so yeah, id be happy enough if he was offered a new deal.

WhileTheChief..
07-02-2023, 03:21 PM

He did. But he only really uses this forum to start arguments these days. Guess it was your turn.

Vault Boy
07-02-2023, 03:57 PM
A year with an option for one more would make sense IMO. The man’s fitness is ridiculous.

He’ll be a magnificent example for the youth team if that does end up being his pathway post-retirement. But that’s a decade away yet.

greenlex
07-02-2023, 04:13 PM
Exemplary pro. You just know if he was to leave he would have another three or four years at a good level. I’d say outside of the top three every other premiership club would snap him up. Yes a year long rolling contract as long as he is staying fit and producing.

KWJ
07-02-2023, 04:19 PM

Yup. And the everything else is a factor too. What a professional.

worcesterhibby
07-02-2023, 04:21 PM
One year deal is a must !

Just Alf
07-02-2023, 04:52 PM
A year with an option for one more would make sense IMO. The man’s fitness is ridiculous.

He’ll be a magnificent example for the youth team if that does end up being his pathway post-retirement. But that’s a decade away yet.I remember as a nipper playing rugby, one of the coaches was an old guy (my dad told me he was 50) was hyper fit... trying not to get beaten fitness wise was so so important!!! Lol ... it drove us big time .

cameronw-hfc
07-02-2023, 05:04 PM
I really don't. Lewis is still as fit as a butchers dog and performing at a level that warrants an extension. There's nothing in his current form that warrants him being dropped down the pecking order.

If you don't know why someone thinks he should stay as a squad player rather than a starter at his age I'm at a loss, genuinely. You're out to argue here imo.

Wheat Hound
07-02-2023, 05:31 PM
Eligible for a 2nd testimonial in 2 years - would be thoroughly deserving too 👏

Hibee Daft
07-02-2023, 05:32 PM
Yeah makes sense, hes a hibee legend

BSEJVT
07-02-2023, 06:22 PM
If you don't know why someone thinks he should stay as a squad player rather than a starter at his age I'm at a loss, genuinely. You're out to argue here imo.

I think that your reply is quite a strange take on the guys post?

In his opinion (and mine tbh) Lewis starts on merit

In time we will either sign or develop one who changes that dynamic, but until we do he has the jersey on merit and should be rewarded by a new contract on that basis.

The only time that should change (for reasons other than he was no longer contributing on the field) would be if the manager of the day thought that his salary could be better used elsewhere, but I cant imagine Lewis being that difficult to deal with me.

lyonhibs
07-02-2023, 07:05 PM

What has his age in isolation got to do with anything in isolation though? Benzema is the same age, if he signed up would you be saying he should be a squad player just because of his age?

He's seen off god knows how many rival left backs and is as fit as ever. Until someone better gets signed, which evidently isn't a piece of cake in our budget range, he's starting on merit and should continue to do so, wherever he's 35 or a nipper of 18

jacomo
07-02-2023, 07:26 PM
What has his age in isolation got to do with anything in isolation though? Benzema is the same age, if he signed up would you be saying he should be a squad player just because of his age?

He's seen off god knows how many rival left backs and is as for as ever. Until someone better gets signed, which evidently isn't a piece of cake in our budget range, he's starting on merit and should continue to do so, wherever he's 35 or a nipper of 18

:agree:

cameronw-hfc
07-02-2023, 07:35 PM

He's seen off god knows how many rival left backs and is as for as ever. Until someone better gets signed, which evidently isn't a piece of cake in our budget range, he's starting on merit and should continue to do so, wherever he's 35 or a nipper of 18

The point was the poster pretending he doesn't know what someone means by saying Lewis is still a good squad player to have. He's great, playing on merit, but the point is it would be nice to have someone younger and capable in that role also so we don't need to rely on a mid 30s left back. It's not a slight on lewis, just common sense that regardless of how consistent he is and how good he's been, I juries etc tend to get you worse as you're older, so saying yes to keeping lewis around, but as a squad player, is completely reasonable and just common sense.

Donegal Hibby
07-02-2023, 07:35 PM
Don't think HH is wanting a argument and I'd rather not have one either. I don't know why someone would make make the statement " not as a first team player" when the player has been playing consistently well and talk of dropping him is harsh.

Don't understand what's his age has got to do with it either as he has plenty of energy and is fit as a fiddle and rarely lets us down if at all . There's been countless players Stevenson age over the years that have only had a positive contribution to there first team , Gordon Strachan was voted clubs player of the year at 35 , 36 . Luka modric is 37 and still playing well . Though maybe some would rather a 25 year old in the team that's not playing as well as a 35 year old

HoboHarry
07-02-2023, 07:40 PM
The point was the poster pretending he doesn't know what someone means by saying Lewis is still a good squad player to have. He's great, playing on merit, but the point is it would be nice to have someone younger and capable in that role also so we don't need to rely on a mid 30s left back. It's not a slight on lewis, just common sense that regardless of how consistent he is and how good he's been, I juries etc tend to get you worse as you're older, so saying yes to keeping lewis around, but as a squad player, is completely reasonable and just common sense.

I have absolutely no clue how you came to that? Here's what I said

"I really don't. Lewis is still as fit as a butchers dog and performing at a level that warrants an extension. There's nothing in his current form that warrants him being dropped down the pecking order."

Thankfully some others understood, even if you didn't. Anyway, I thought I was stating something fairly obvious as opposed to looking for an argument so I'll leave it at that and bow out.

cameronw-hfc
07-02-2023, 07:42 PM
Don't think HH is wanting a argument and I'd rather not have one either. I don't know why someone would make make the statement " not as a first team player" when the player has been playing consistently well and talk of dropping him is harsh.

Don't understand what's his age has got to do with it either as he has plenty of energy and is fit as a fiddle and rarely lets us down if at all . There's been countless players Stevenson age over the years that have only had a positive contribution to there first team , Gordon Strachan was voted clubs player of the year at 35 , 36 . Luka modric is 37 and still playing well . Though maybe some would rather a 25 year old in the team that's not playing as well as a 35 year old

Should have worded it better, wasn't intending to be confrontational. Just meant the poster saying everyones a squad player and saying he doesn't know what someone means by saying squad player is a bit off. Squad player is a long standing saying in football. Doesn't diminish someone, Boyle and Nisbet aren't squad players, they're guaranteed starters every week when fit. Lewis is a squad player. He's not always a mainstay nowadays, has spells where he's in and spells where he's out, but he's perfectly fine for that role, and he keeps his position currently on merit.

I'd love him to stay, as a squad player. I'd like us to go get another left back, or get more from Cabraja so we aren't exclusively relying on an older left back, think that's all that's meant when people say a squad player. Still useful, but not the first name on the team sheet.

cameronw-hfc
07-02-2023, 07:44 PM
I have absolutely no clue how you came to that? Here's what I said

"I really don't. Lewis is still as fit as a butchers dog and performing at a level that warrants an extension. There's nothing in his current form that warrants him being dropped down the pecking order."

Thankfully some others understood, even if you didn't. Anyway, I thought I was stating something fairly obvious as opposed to looking for an argument so I'll leave it at that and bow out.

The poster said you know exactly what he meant by squad player, you said you didn't. I'm just pointing out its a common saying and a completely fair thing to say about Lewis at this age. He should be a squad player, a bloody good one at that, but he's a squad player. Boyle and Nisbet aren't sqyad players, they're key players, starters every week. Lewis isn't at this point. He keeps his place on merit, but to say you really don't know what he means by saying a squad player just feels confrontational for the sake of it.

hibee-boys
07-02-2023, 08:03 PM
Another’s year’s extension for Lewis! Don’t be ridiculous……..2 year’s minimum😏

RyeSloan
07-02-2023, 08:49 PM
I wonder how many left backs Lewis has seen off at Hibs!

As good as ever recently and certainly deserves another year for sure.

Eyrie
07-02-2023, 09:28 PM
Stevenson is still playing well for us so he deserves another year.

We could sign another left back or we could bring through McIntyre but neither is guaranteed to outplay Stevenson quite yet.

Donegal Hibby
07-02-2023, 09:32 PM
Should have worded it better, wasn't intending to be confrontational. Just meant the poster saying everyones a squad player and saying he doesn't know what someone means by saying squad player is a bit off. Squad player is a long standing saying in football. Doesn't diminish someone, Boyle and Nisbet aren't squad players, they're guaranteed starters every week when fit. Lewis is a squad player. He's not always a mainstay nowadays, has spells where he's in and spells where he's out, but he's perfectly fine for that role, and he keeps his position currently on merit.

I'd love him to stay, as a squad player. I'd like us to go get another left back, or get more from Cabraja so we aren't exclusively relying on an older left back, think that's all that's meant when people say a squad player. Still useful, but not the first name on the team sheet.
First team players are part of the squad . Take cabraja for instance he was a first team player though his form dipped and Stevenson came into the first team and has been playing well and as long as he is then he should remain in the first team imo . Boyle and Nisbet are first team players but if they started playing really poorly week in week out I'd hope we would put them on the bench and gave someone else a chance rather what you say guarantee them a start every week!

I have no worries at all about Stevenson being a first team player now or next season as he's in great condition. Lewis Stevenson at this stage in the season is one of the first names on the team sheet imo as he's our best left back and is versatile and can play in midfield if we have to change formation , we also get 100% from him and consistently good performance's. Stevenson age isn't a big deal for me as he is good and fit enough for our first team this year and next !

cameronw-hfc
07-02-2023, 09:40 PM
First team players are part of the squad . Take cabraja for instance he was a first team player though his form dipped and Stevenson came into the first team and has been playing well and as long as he is then he should remain in the first team imo . Boyle and Nisbet are first team players but if they started playing really poorly week in week out I'd hope we would put them on the bench and gave someone else a chance rather what you say guarantee them a start every week!

I have no worries at all about Stevenson being a first team player now or next season as he's in great condition. Lewis Stevenson at this stage in the season is one of the first names on the team sheet imo as he's our best left back and is versatile and can play in midfield if we have to change formation , we also get 100% from him and consistently good performance's. Stevenson age isn't a big deal for me as he is good and fit enough for our first team this year and next !

First team players are 100% part of the squad, but the term squad player, or how it was used, doesn't mean literally a player part of the squad. It was used in the term of someone being a good player to have around, despite not having to start every week. Someone lewis is. A player that you can reply on to step in after weeks on the side and do a job, that's a good squad player.

Shrekko
07-02-2023, 09:40 PM
A year extension is almost a no brainer at this stage. If he plays as he is just now, left back isn't a problem as it'll be him, or somebody in the squad that'll need to be better than him.

Donegal Hibby
07-02-2023, 10:30 PM
First team players are 100% part of the squad, but the term squad player, or how it was used, doesn't mean literally a player part of the squad. It was used in the term of someone being a good player to have around, despite not having to start every week. Someone lewis is. A player that you can reply on to step in after weeks on the side and do a job, that's a good squad player.
Lewis Stevenson has played 8 consecutive matches for us and imo will start against Kilmarnock as well , this for me indicates that he isn't a squad player but A FIRST TEAM PLAYER in that time I can't remember him having a bad game or showing any signs of fatigue either which is why the " not as a first team player " comment was confusing when discussing another year contract .

Greencore
07-02-2023, 10:45 PM
Why does his son play for rangers ? Did hibs ever show interest?

Northernhibee
08-02-2023, 06:41 AM
If Lewis isn’t to be an automatic first team pick then someone’s got to grab the bull by the horns and take play place off him. Other than Josh Doig, nobody has consistently done that in the last few years.

Percy Vere
08-02-2023, 11:27 AM

I think Lewis has said he wants to stay. He feels he still has a lot to offer.
But he recognises that he will likely not be first choice at left back.
But what a great player to be learning from. And to have around as back up.

hibsforeurope
08-02-2023, 11:42 AM
He deserves a new deal on merit. The squad does need to evolve at some point. while Lewis is still capable of holding down his place on form/ability now is possibly the time to introduce Mcintyre, in a similar fashion to how Doig came in, almost like a job share and can learn from Lewy.

Percy Vere
08-02-2023, 04:14 PM
He deserves a new deal on merit. The squad does need to evolve at some point. while Lewis is still capable of holding down his place on form/ability now is possibly the time to introduce Mcintyre, in a similar fashion to how Doig came in, almost like a job share and can learn from Lewy.

Sounds good to me!

JamesHFC
08-02-2023, 05:29 PM
I think another year is fair based on his recent performances and his influence around the club. We need to be looking at improving Cabraja or moving him on and replacing him if they don't deem him good enough.

Percy Vere
08-02-2023, 05:33 PM
Another’s year’s extension for Lewis! Don’t be ridiculous……..2 year’s minimum😏

😜

Carheenlea
09-02-2023, 05:04 PM
An extension for Lewis would be based on merit rather than sentiment.

There will have to be succession planning for the future but for a man in his physical condition and professional mentality he would continue to be a big asset to for the next two seasons.

Eyrie
09-02-2023, 06:03 PM
An extension for Lewis would be based on merit rather than sentiment.

There will have to be succession planning for the future but for a man in his physical condition and professional mentality he would continue to be a big asset to for the next two seasons.

At this stage Stevenson is a year to year evaluation so a one year deal makes more sense.

And it will also make sense in 2024, 2025, 2026 and probably 2027.

cameronw-hfc
09-02-2023, 06:31 PM
I think Lewis has said he wants to stay. He feels he still has a lot to offer.
But he recognises that he will likely not be first choice at left back.
But what a great player to be learning from. And to have around as back up.

This is my point. I love him, and how he's contributed recently is amazing, but he's playing every week atm on merit, that wont always be the case for Lewis. He's the definition of a squad player for us now. Comes in sometimes for long spells and does the job, in multiple positions. Nothing to sleight Lewis, he'd be the first to admit himself he's more of a squad player now then maybe 5 years ago.

Either way, sign him up. Give him a 4 year deal like they done for Daz, let him play out his career here then straight into coaching over those 4 years.

scoopyboy
09-02-2023, 06:41 PM
I wonder how many left backs Lewis has seen off at Hibs!

As good as ever recently and certainly deserves another year for sure.

I hear you but I would ask how many good left backs has Lewis seen off.

Not many if any in my opinion, however that isn't Lewis' problem.

Onceinawhile
09-02-2023, 07:55 PM
I hear you but I would ask how many good left backs has Lewis seen off.

Not many if any in my opinion, however that isn't Lewis' problem.

Are you suggesting pa kujabi wasn't of a good standard?!