PDA

View Full Version : Supporters buses/branches from past

Bridge hibs
02-02-2023, 05:48 AM
Looking at away supports the past few years and it seems we still have a good hardcore following hibs to away games. I was never attached to any particular branch and mostly just hung around the top of the lane at the hibs club in the hope of getting a seat. I see on here there are branches, East Lothian, Carlton and now and then Milton Mowbray, in days of yore I also remember they printed info of leaving times from some of the branches in the EEN

Off my head, other than those mentioned above I can remember, St Giles, Liberton (mad Dougie Sneddon) Central (my brother was with them) Hawkhill, Edinburgh West, the radge East Coast bus that left from Porty

Its early so apologies as no doubt Ive missed a few

Col L
02-02-2023, 06:00 AM
Off the top of my head, I remember the Edinburgh West, Southern, Carlton, Hawkhill.

There were a few non-supporters association ones too…

I went on the Dean Hotel bus when I was too young to drink, then the East Coast for a while, which was indeed pretty radge, and had clubrooms down at Porty.

I was then a regular on the Whelahan while it lasted - which me and my mate took all the way from the Robin’s Nest to Liege in 1989. It was more like One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest! Great times.

There was also the Beastie Bus, named in honour of George McCluskey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneone73
02-02-2023, 06:28 AM
Used to travel now and then with the Stanton branch. And a bus that used to leave from the Alhambra, can't remember the branch name though.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-02-2023, 06:39 AM
Looking at away supports the past few years and it seems we still have a good hardcore following hibs to away games. I was never attached to any particular branch and mostly just hung around the top of the lane at the hibs club in the hope of getting a seat. I see on here there are branches, East Lothian, Carlton and now and then Milton Mowbray, in days of yore I also remember they printed info of leaving times from some of the branches in the EEN

Off my head, other than those mentioned above I can remember, St Giles, Liberton (mad Dougie Sneddon) Central (my brother was with them) Hawkhill, Edinburgh West, the radge East Coast bus that left from Porty

Its early so apologies as no doubt Ive missed a few

“For The Fans” in the Evening News, I remember phoning in details of buses that I ran whilst still at school.

southern hibby
02-02-2023, 06:49 AM
I used to travel on the Libby travel then moved from Moredun up to the town. I then used to go on the IEC, independent east coast which Charlie ran then for a while auld Dickie.

GGTTH

Aldo
02-02-2023, 06:59 AM
I used to travel on the Libby travel then moved from Moredun up to the town. I then used to go on the IEC, independent east coast which Charlie ran then for a while auld Dickie.

GGTTH

I lived in West Lothian but travelled on that bus too. If he games were in the West me and my pal Kevin used to get picked up on the M8 at the top of Deans.

The bus used to run from the pub now known as the Mash Tun (for the love of me cannot remember it’s previous name) in ER.

It’s far to say as a 17/18 it was superb.

I also remember the father and son (guy had really thick glasses) that always sat at the front.

IIRC we were all given IEC Hibs business type cards!

NthCarolinaHibs
02-02-2023, 07:05 AM
I can mind,just,going with St Giles branch bus to Strasbourg in late 70's...left the Hibs club midnight Sunday,arrived Tuesday tea time...some trip..great times..

KdyHby
02-02-2023, 07:06 AM
Musselburgh

Bridge hibs
02-02-2023, 07:09 AM
“For The Fans” in the Evening News, I remember phoning in details of buses that I ran whilst still at school.

For the fans, thats the one, it was a wee list of buses pick up times etc

sadtom
02-02-2023, 07:26 AM
Between ‘80 & ‘84 (give or take a year) was a regular on the Schaedler then the Granton Travel.
In the years after dotted about on a few others, the Libby, Carlton, Artisan, Pentland, Beastie bus.
Nothing came close to the madhouse of the Shades and the Granton. Both banned from the official supporters club and always ‘memorable’ & ‘eventful’ (a polite way of saying f****** mental!).
When ‘Tam the driver’ (Shades) was usually the most pissed on the bus it was never going to be anything other than f****** mental.

As for the Granton…”I wanna be a Provo ranger…” :greengrin

RIP
02-02-2023, 07:33 AM
Musselburgh

Not exactly local for me as I stayed in Clerrieback 45 years ago.

But when I ran a big darts tourno in Argyle House around '76, a top player called Harry Clelland gubbed me with a 160 checkout. He played for the pub at the East End of the Racecourse / golf course which was known as 'Mrs Formans'.

I was quite a tasty player myself so Harry signed me up for their team and I played in their league. Thus forging a link to the place as my 'home from home.

So after getting picked up at either end of the Drum Brae to travel with the branch to an away game, I often used to stay on the bus home all the way to the Honest Toun. Umpteen pints of lager, a slaver about the high and low points of the match, topped off with a pizza at the Caprice.

Happy Days GGTTH

Bridge hibs
02-02-2023, 07:37 AM
Not exactly local for me as I stayed in Clerrie cak 45 years ago. But when I ran a big darts tourno in Argyle House around '76, a top player called Harry Clelland gubbed me with a 160 checkout. He played for the Levenhall Arms at the East End of the Racecourse which was better known as 'Mrs Foremans'

So after getting picked up at either end of the Drum Brae to travel with the branch to an away game, I often used to stay on the bus home all tgee way to the Honest Toun. Umpteen pints of lager, a slaver about the high and low points of the match,topped off with a pizza at the Caprice.

Happy Days GGTTHThe Levenhall wasnt Mrs Foremans, they were seperate boozers, I used to drink in Foremans on occassion with a mate and used to venture along to the Levenhall to have a blether with then proprietor mad Irishman Gerry

Auckland Hibs
02-02-2023, 07:38 AM
I.E.C from the Nip, ran by Charlie and then Dickie, great times - particularly any trip to Aberdeen or Kilmarnock 😇

Yorkshire HFC
02-02-2023, 07:38 AM
As a schoolboy I remember waiting at Haymarket and getting on a bus from there to various games. I remember the bus tickets being quite cheap - but the day always being very expensive after we were "asked" if would like to buy some raffle / sweepstake tickets. It was certainly a life experience for an innocent 16 year old.

surreyhibbie
02-02-2023, 07:40 AM
Musselburgh

Was on that a good few times!

Great memories

surreyhibbie
02-02-2023, 07:44 AM
Not exactly local for me as I stayed in Clerrieback 45 years ago.

But when I ran a big darts tourno in Argyle House around '76, a top player called Harry Clelland gubbed me with a 160 checkout. He played for the pub at the East End of the Racecourse / golf course which was known as 'Mrs Formans'.

I was quite a tasty player myself so Harry signed me up for their team and I played in their league. Thus forging a link to the place as my 'home from home.

So after getting picked up at either end of the Drum Brae to travel with the branch to an away game, I often used to stay on the bus home all the way to the Honest Toun. Umpteen pints of lager, a slaver about the high and low points of the match, topped off with a pizza at the Caprice.

Happy Days GGTTH

Played in an Argyle house comp myself in 1980 when I worked there. Semi was as far as I got though.

Logie Green
02-02-2023, 07:49 AM

Can anyone remember a hertz supporters bus under the name Albert Kidd leaving from Dundee Street being listed in ‘For The Fans’ one night? 🤭

hibees 7062
02-02-2023, 07:53 AM
Can anyone remember a hertz supporters bus under the name Albert Kidd leaving from Dundee Street being listed in ‘For The Fans’ one night? 🤭

Aye. Was a bargain at a pound too 😂

He's here!
02-02-2023, 07:56 AM
Used to be a pretty strong Perth/Tayside contingent. The Perth Paul Kanes rings a bell and I think there was a Dundee branch.

Have a lot of the supporters clubs ceased to exist?

offshorehibby
02-02-2023, 08:18 AM
In the late 70's early 80's I travelled on and helped run eventually a bus called Capital Hibs, we left from London Rd at the top of Easter Rd. I can mind taking 3 buses to 79 cup final and coming back with very few windows.

When that packed in we moved on to the Hibs club eventually joining Southern Branch where I'm still a member.

People must be travelling differently these days, away back the there'd be dozens of buses leaving from the top of lane at Hibs club.

KdyHby
02-02-2023, 08:25 AM
Famous Fife - Inverkeithing branch seems to be thriving these days

Fanforlife
02-02-2023, 08:25 AM
I lived in West Lothian but travelled on that bus too. If he games were in the West me and my pal Kevin used to get picked up on the M8 at the top of Deans.

The bus used to run from the pub now known as the Mash Tun (for the love of me cannot remember it’s previous name) in ER.

I also remember the father and son (guy had really thick glasses) that always sat at the front.

It was called Ross,s bar back then(used to be Mac,s Bar).Bus originally did start from Porty,moved to Ross,s then finally Royal Nip,Father and Son were both called George, still see the son occasionally at Easter Road. (Charlie👍😁)

BroxburnHibee
02-02-2023, 08:57 AM

Guy I worked with called in after we had beat Rangers in the LC semi final in 85. He got them to print 'Union Jack bus to Hampden cancelled' :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious

I regularly travelled on the Beastie bus when it first started. What a blast that was....

Hibbyradge
02-02-2023, 09:01 AM
I travelled with Hawkhill, dubbed "The Picnic Branch" by the rough boys on other buses. :greengrin

Maude MacFarlane's Green and White Army! :flag:

Nakedmanoncrack
02-02-2023, 09:02 AM
It was called Ross,s bar back then(used to be Mac,s Bar).Bus originally did start from Porty,moved to Ross,s then finally Royal Nip,Father and Son were both called George, still see the son occasionally at Easter Road. (Charlie👍😁)

And prior to Ross's Eddie Turnbulls Bar.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-02-2023, 09:04 AM
Guy I worked with called in after we had beat Rangers in the LC semi final in 85. He got them to print 'Union Jack bus to Hampden cancelled' :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious

I regularly travelled on the Beastie bus when it first started. What a blast that was....

Union Jack Hun bus was always in For the Fans, left from Tollcross I'm sure.

Aldo
02-02-2023, 09:14 AM
It was called Ross,s bar back then(used to be Mac,s Bar).Bus originally did start from Porty,moved to Ross,s then finally Royal Nip,Father and Son were both called George, still see the son occasionally at Easter Road. (Charlie[emoji106][emoji16])

Thanks.

Bus always had a toilet and i remember plates of sandwiches and sausage rolls etc on trips up north.

gazelle
02-02-2023, 09:16 AM
Used to be a pretty strong Perth/Tayside contingent. The Perth Paul Kanes rings a bell and I think there was a Dundee branch.

Have a lot of the supporters clubs ceased to exist?

Correct with Perth Paul kanos! Not so many of us going to matches these days though.

sadtom
02-02-2023, 09:17 AM

Not sure if it started elsewhere but definitely either left from or at least picked up at Haymarket.
Had more than one incident with the mutants that went on it.

eastterrace
02-02-2023, 09:19 AM
I started travelling on the wardie hotel branch back in the sixties but it eventually packed in so moved on to the lochend shamrock who ran a bus back in the seventies. Mad times on that bus with windows getting tanned a few times .

BILLYHIBS
02-02-2023, 09:20 AM
Remember back in the day there were lists of Hibs supporters buses leaving Edinburgh on a Friday night on the back page of the EEN for the following days match

A favourite of mine was the Carlton Branch leaving Haymarket 12.30

Eddie Campbell and Jimmy Marriot

Always a post match whip roond after for the bail money :greengrin

greenginger
02-02-2023, 09:22 AM
I was talking about travel to games in the old days ( mid 60’s ) with a couple of mates in the pub last night.
We travelled with St Giles then Carlton and we’re reminiscing about stopping off at the Harthill chippy on the way home from any West coast fixture.

We wondered if the chippy would still be there if we took a detour off the M8 sometime, or if Harthill was even still there. Not been through there in 50 years . :greengrin

sadtom
02-02-2023, 09:27 AM
I do remember ‘for the fans’ advertising Gorgie Greens, leaving from Tynecastle arms. Was never sure if it was a real bus or just a wind up.

Also, can anyone confirm if there was a bus called Flavel Travel? Named after the old Hibs player Bobby. Not certain if it is just my old addled heid making it up or not. I guess it could also have been a wind up as I’m pretty sure hertz had a well known branch back then called Savile travel. That name didn’t age well. :faf:

hibees 7062
02-02-2023, 09:30 AM
Central branch of the Hibs supporters club 🎶 👍

Still Smiling
02-02-2023, 10:08 AM
Pentland Branch back in the 70s. Total carnage on Aberdeen trips, left at 8.30 from Waterloo Place and left Aberdeen around 1am. Used to sell pontoon tickets at my work which paid for my seat. 🍻

LancsHibs
02-02-2023, 10:14 AM
Lancashire Hibees. Used to be quite active back in the 90’s before El Presidente was ousted😆

wookie70
02-02-2023, 10:16 AM
Central Branch with Brian Clancy as convener back in the day. My uncle was best mates with him and Alan Paterson and I travelled through most weeks to be left out side the pub with a can of coke and packet of crisps. We ran a bus for a while from the Crown and Cushion and I also went on Leith Hibs for a while too. Also went on whatever bus was at the top of teh lane at the Hibs club many times including Auld Mauds etc. Motorbike for a few seasons but now only go by car. Supporters buses were great when it was a day out and a few beers were involved but that makes it such an expensive day now I can see why there are far fewer. Cars are also much more reliable than they once were and that may come into the thinking of supporters.

BILLYHIBS
02-02-2023, 10:19 AM
Remember going to the Scottish Cup replay at Methil and the driver got lost in the East Neuk of Fife

A guy stepped forward saying he was a Bus Driver and knew the way - he got lost as well

Ended up abandoning the bus near the Stadium and making a sprint for it

Another doing

Picked up a Supporters Bus at Great Junction Street this guy had nipped oot for a paper and a half loaf and asked us what the story was with the Hibs scarves ? We explained we were going to Tannadice for the Scottish Cup tie He hopped aboard without telling his Mrs in the days before mobile phones

Another doing

Great times and away days

SideBurns
02-02-2023, 10:20 AM
Don't think my uncle's on here much these days, so I'll ask if anyone recalls the MB Branch from the 70s? I was only on it once, but it was my first ever away game (left Speirs Bar at Goldenacre for Dunfermline). Another non-affiliated branch...

Hibbyradge
02-02-2023, 10:23 AM
Don't think my uncle's on here much these days, so I'll ask if anyone recalls the MB Branch from the 70s? I was only on it once, but it was my first ever away game (left Speirs Bar at Goldenacre for Dunfermline). Another non-affiliated branch...

I definitely remember it, but I don't know much about it.

I realise that's not much help! :hilarious

SideBurns
02-02-2023, 10:26 AM
I definitely remember it, but I don't know much about it.

I realise that's not much help! :hilarious

😄 as long as someone remembers it, that's better than nowt.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-02-2023, 10:29 AM
I travelled with Hawkhill, dubbed "The Picnic Branch" by the rough boys on other buses. :greengrin

#MeToo! 😀

Numptie
02-02-2023, 10:31 AM
The trips to Bruges and London with the Beastie bus were epic. Not an official bus so it was pay-as-you-go - so we didn't have to 'raise' funds by selling football cards etc

Lago
02-02-2023, 10:59 AM
Sure there was a Glenrothes branch when I first moved to Fife.

BILLYHIBS
02-02-2023, 11:10 AM
Remember back in the mid sixties Bus Convenor’s nipping the party songs in the bud right away

BT58
02-02-2023, 11:12 AM

Aye, scarves off as soon as we arrived in Glasgow !!!. But auld Maude was a gem, sadly missed.
B

Kato
02-02-2023, 11:13 AM
Early 80's a couple of regulars from Dougie Sneddon's Liberton bus were working in Mali but were travelling home for a match. The "For The Fans" in the EEN had a "Timbuktu Branch" listing in it in honour. Dougie is daft as a brush.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

hibbybob
02-02-2023, 11:23 AM
In the late 70's early 80's I travelled on and helped run eventually a bus called CAPITAL HIBS, we left from London Rd at the top of Easter Rd. I can mind taking 3 buses to 79 cup final and coming back with very few windows.

When that packed in we moved on to the Hibs club eventually joining Southern Branch where I'm still a member.

People must be travelling differently these days, away back the there'd be dozens of buses leaving from the top of lane at Hibs club.

“Mental” Capital Hibs Supporters Club to give it it’s full title - Great days and some great people!

Waxy
02-02-2023, 11:25 AM
Libby travel from the Gardeners arms early 80’s
Remember selling wee yellow pontoon cards for free travel.

Hibbyradge
02-02-2023, 11:31 AM
Aye, scarves off as soon as we arrived in Glasgow !!!. But auld Maude was a gem, sadly missed.
B

The windows still got tanned in on a few occasions. Once in Dumfries, and after they beat us, iirc.

Risboro Hibby
02-02-2023, 11:36 AM

I travelled late 60s early 70 Hawkhill. I remember having to sell about Then 10 shillings 50 p now of lottery tickets every week which got us on the bus for no extra. Certainly would not have been allowed to travel on any of the rough buses as my Mum would only let me go as she knew Mrs Mac run a tough. No nonsense bus and kept a watchful eye on us young uns. Laughed at the picnic bus comments. If you continued to sell tickets over the summer you were given a day out and I remember once going to Ayr for the day . Happy memories.

Frazerbob
02-02-2023, 11:38 AM
Was a regular on The Beastie Bus, getting on at The Stage Door (now Planet Out) or Shades (or was that The Torino, which left from the pub of the same name) Memories a bit hazy but great times following a team far worse than todays.

Hibbyradge
02-02-2023, 11:42 AM
I travelled late 60s early 70 Hawkhill. I remember having to sell about Then 10 shillings 50 p now of lottery tickets every week which got us on the bus for no extra. Certainly would not have been allowed to travel on any of the rough buses as my Mum would only let me go as she knew Mrs Mac run a tough. No nonsense bus and kept a watchful eye on us young uns. Laughed at the picnic bus comments. If you continued to sell tickets over the summer you were given a day out and I remember once going to Ayr for the day . Happy memories.

I don't remember the day out rewards, but I used to sell football cards and tickets every week. Half of the time I had to buy a lot of them myself because I'd been unable to sell them or I'd forgotten.

I think the picnic branch name started in the mid 70s because one of our group, initials MS, used to get given sandwiches to take to games, but I might be mistaken. :hilarious

coldingham hibs
02-02-2023, 11:43 AM
Sure there was a Glenrothes branch when I first moved to Fife.

I travelled on the Famous Fife bus for a couple of seasons, I got on at Cleo’s Rosyth but remember the bus picking up in various locations. A few in Burntisland & Glenrothes if I remember correctly.

surreyhibbie
02-02-2023, 11:53 AM
Musselburgh bus picked up a guy (cant remember exactly why) on the way to a Rangers away game, his bus had left without him.

Turns out not only was he a Hun, but his name was John Greig!

we didnt believe him of course, but he had ID as no one ever took him seriously.

Got a wee bit of banter but he seemed a sound enough guy ...

Allant1981
02-02-2023, 11:55 AM
Used to go on the uphall/broxburn bus(went through most of west lothian) before it became the west lothian branch, mid 90's to late 90s, actually had this chat with my laddie recently, used to go all over the country at 14/15, now the laddie moans I don't let him do similar with his pals

Gmack7
02-02-2023, 12:02 PM
Clermiston Hibs was always a good day out, bus was not quite as busy on the way back, had a very interesting meeting with the union Jack bus on the M8

offshorehibby
02-02-2023, 12:05 PM
“Mental” Capital Hibs Supporters Club to give it it’s full title - Great days and some great people!

I remember there'd always be a chant on the terracing at away games Mental Capital Hibs Supporters Club.

Made some good friends on it some I'm still mates with.

Keith_M
02-02-2023, 12:12 PM
Best supporters bus ever was The Artisan.

Always had a great time and met a lot of young guys my age that I long considered my mates.

ben johnson
02-02-2023, 12:13 PM
Used to go on the uphall/broxburn bus(went through most of west lothian) before it became the west lothian branch, mid 90's to late 90s, actually had this chat with my laddie recently, used to go all over the country at 14/15, now the laddie moans I don't let him do similar with his pals

Was on Bathgate Hibs from early 70s
Pick up Uphall , Bathgate and Armadale. Hun central of course
Busy bus then. Went to Parkhead in 72 and was asked if we wanted to travel to next away game. Hearts at Tynecastle 1 / 1 / 1973.
Ok I said and that was that. Mention to Billy Kay who ran Bathgate branch then Great Hibs man and a gentleman. Lifted me over the turnstile at Parkhead Dec 1972.

snedzuk
02-02-2023, 12:17 PM
Moved around a fair bit and travelled with Edinburgh West, Musselburgh and St Giles, including on one of the two St Giles buses that went to Montbeliard for the away game against Sochaux.

hibbybob
02-02-2023, 12:18 PM

Always had a great time and met a lot of young guys my age that I long considered my mates, Fairnie, Jed, etc

I recall being on the Artisan bus when it took a detour to assist some ??Austrian tourists whose bus had broken down. The look of fear on their faces as they boarded the bus was priceless!

🎵 We’ll Take More Care Of You - ARTISAN ARTISAN.

DIXIHIBS
02-02-2023, 12:29 PM
Although i travelled on the more sensible southern bus, i knew a few mates on the Torino bus...bams.😀...and bunch of roses wasnt much better. All good hibbies though.

leith lynx
02-02-2023, 12:50 PM
Remember when Eastern Scottish ran "match day specials" from the old St.Andrew square bus station. Wild!

hibeg
02-02-2023, 12:53 PM
I do remember ‘for the fans’ advertising Gorgie Greens, leaving from Tynecastle arms. Was never sure if it was a real bus or just a wind up.

Also, can anyone confirm if there was a bus called Flavel Travel? Named after the old Hibs player Bobby. Not certain if it is just my old addled heid making it up or not. I guess it could also have been a wind up as I’m pretty sure hertz had a well known branch back then called Savile travel. That name didn’t age well. :faf:

Flavell Travel 😂. When we stopped going with Edinburgh West in the mid 80s we took it in turns to drive to away games. There were about 6 of us. We called ourselves Flavell Travel in homage to Bobby, who was crap, but it rhymed 🤣.
I’m not sure if there was an official supporters branch called that

DIXIHIBS
02-02-2023, 12:53 PM
Remember when Eastern Scottish ran "match day specials" from the old St.Andrew square bus station. Wild!

Was on one of those going to motherwell for scottish cup i think. Mid 70s. A wild day oot!

BT58
02-02-2023, 01:01 PM
The windows still got tanned in on a few occasions. Once in Dumfries, and after they beat us, iirc.

I'm sure we had the windows put in when we parked at St Anthony's just along from Ibrox, started traveling on the picnic branch about late 70's till mid 80's, some good laughs and a great bunch on board
B

Thief
02-02-2023, 01:05 PM
I can mind,just,going with St Giles branch bus to Strasbourg in late 70's...left the Hibs club midnight Sunday,arrived Tuesday tea time...some trip..great times..

Think I was on that bus. Was a great trip - was 15 at the time and was my first prolonged exposure to alcohol lol.
Have a vague recollection of a guy wandering around the bus completely bollock naked [emoji15]

weecounty hibby
02-02-2023, 01:07 PM
Alloa Hibs bus. Been running since the 60s. Has had some lulls over the years but still going to all home games. Throughout mid/late 80s and 90s went to all away games too. Made many good friends over the years. Aberdeen away was always a highlight. In the pub for 6am, left Alloa at 9, pub in Fordoun just south of Aberdeen for about 12!! Hangover on bus home at about 8pm!! Many games I've attended at Pittodrie that I have no memory of

Kato
02-02-2023, 01:15 PM
Remember when Eastern Scottish ran "match day specials" from the old St.Andrew square bus station. Wild!An absolute hoot every time.

"Excursion" then the number of bus. Everyone wanted to be on "Excursion One."

Green Reaper
02-02-2023, 01:23 PM
Early 80's a couple of regulars from Dougie Sneddon's Liberton bus were working in Mali but were travelling home for a match. The "For The Fans" in the EEN had a "Timbuktu Branch" listing in it in honour. Dougie is daft as a brush.

I used to go on the Libby bus when I was about 14/15,got on free as my brother-in-law was best mates with Dougie. Bus was nuts, went to Ibrox once and just followed the older lads, into the enclosure, terrifying for a kid, stewards got us out and in to the Broomloan to safety, think I still have PTSD from that!

greenlex
02-02-2023, 01:30 PM
Bonnyrigg bus for me in the early 70s. Picked up at the Harrow Hotel Dalkeith.
Remember a guy called Bruno missed the bus going up to Muirton Park Perth. I’m not sure if the motorway went all the way up in those days ( I’m convinced it didn’t) but we used stop of for a beer or two at Glenfarg. Bruno duly arrived at the Glenfarg watering hole by Taxi.

Later in the 70s a guy who worked at the local Gorebridge saw mill had a van with bench seating in the back. There seemed to be about 100 of us in the back, home and away. Top man was Jimmy Pringle. Happiest days of my life.

green with envy
02-02-2023, 01:39 PM

Correct! the pub back in the late 70s where the Libby left from was known then as Macs bar. I was a regular traveller back in the day.

NthCarolinaHibs
02-02-2023, 01:40 PM
Think I was on that bus. Was a great trip - was 15 at the time and was my first prolonged exposure to alcohol lol.
Have a vague recollection of a guy wandering around the bus completely bollock naked [emoji15]

Correct 😂...and pouring the "pish pot" out the skylight going through Central London.Rough ferry crossing from Dover,washing the sea sickness tablets doon with pints of lager...think it was Curran's bus..£23 return 😂😂

gbhibby
02-02-2023, 01:49 PM
Was that the bus with the blocked toilet

Alfred E Newman
02-02-2023, 02:14 PM
An absolute hoot every time.

"Excursion" then the number of bus. Everyone wanted to be on "Excursion One."

Yes they were brilliant. When one was filled they just brought up another.

Lago
02-02-2023, 02:17 PM
I travelled on the Famous Fife bus for a couple of seasons, I got on at Cleo’s Rosyth but remember the bus picking up in various locations. A few in Burntisland & Glenrothes if I remember correctly.
Those were the days, pretty healthy Hibs support then, not so much now sorry to say.

EskbankHibby
02-02-2023, 02:18 PM
Another one here for Dougies bus from The Gardeners.

“They’re building houses….”

Allant1981
02-02-2023, 02:19 PM
Busy bus then. Went to Parkhead in 72 and was asked if we wanted to travel to next away game. Hearts at Tynecastle 1 / 1 / 1973.
Ok I said and that was that. Mention to Billy Kay who ran Bathgate branch then Great Hibs man and a gentleman. Lifted me over the turnstile at Parkhead Dec 1972.

I worked with Billy in St johns also

Allant1981
02-02-2023, 02:20 PM
Alloa Hibs bus. Been running since the 60s. Has had some lulls over the years but still going to all home games. Throughout mid/late 80s and 90s went to all away games too. Made many good friends over the years. Aberdeen away was always a highlight. In the pub for 6am, left Alloa at 9, pub in Fordoun just south of Aberdeen for about 12!! Hangover on bus home at about 8pm!! Many games I've attended at Pittodrie that I have no memory of

I stayed in alva for 10 years and didn't know there was a bus left from alloa, could have saved many miles on my car!

Baldy Foghorn
02-02-2023, 02:24 PM

Had some great trips on that bus, then joined Carlton in the 90s. Formed some good friendships when on Beastie Bus, still to this day

Ray_
02-02-2023, 02:37 PM

Me too, as a 12yo in the sixties, went all over country [and Liverpool] & kept safe.

Loved the stops at Harthill & Stonehaven, wonderful fish suppers, while the adult's refreshments were liquid.

Came to an end at 15, when, Saturday working, meant too late for the bus & having to use trains.

sadtom
02-02-2023, 02:53 PM
Flavell Travel 😂. When we stopped going with Edinburgh West in the mid 80s we took it in turns to drive to away games. There were about 6 of us. We called ourselves Flavell Travel in homage to Bobby, who was crap, but it rhymed 🤣.
I’m not sure if there was an official supporters branch called that

:thumbsup:
Thought I had heard the name, didn’t know any details though. Did you advertise it in ‘for the fans’? Cause I think that’s where I heard/saw it.
But thanks for confirming that I haven’t gone completely mad. :greengrin

weecounty hibby
02-02-2023, 02:55 PM
I stayed in alva for 10 years and didn't know there was a bus left from alloa, could have saved many miles on my car!

Aye, we try to keep the hillfooters out!! Joking aside its amazing how many Hibbies there are in our area. For cup finals we can very easily fill a full 60 seats and often have to turn folk away. These aren't just glory hunters as most still go regularly just not on the bus. Amazing that our branch has been active for decades when we are Old Firm central, especially the hun!

snedzuk
02-02-2023, 03:03 PM
Correct 😂...and pouring the "pish pot" out the skylight going through Central London.Rough ferry crossing from Dover,washing the sea sickness tablets doon with pints of lager...think it was Curran's bus..£23 return 😂😂

It was definitely Curran that took two buses to Montbeliard / Sochaux

Flanny boy
02-02-2023, 03:15 PM
Alright Charlie.Some crazy times on the i.e.c bus but loved travelling on it back then with some great boys. I remember George and son and also Dickie and Dougie father and son.Thanks for the memories boys GGTTH

Ronniekirk
02-02-2023, 03:17 PM
I remember fir the Dunfermline Cuo Final there were five double deckers and a singke decker left fir that game
I used to drive through from paisley to Glenrothes the night before the game Few Beers in Leslie fir Breakfast and back after the game Travelling back to Paisley the next day
We even had the Famous Fife Tee Shirts made and wore those lol Great trios

Edinburgh Green
02-02-2023, 03:33 PM
My dad was a regular on the Willie Muir bus back in the day. Apparently it was a bit of an eye opener. :greengrin

Fanforlife
02-02-2023, 03:43 PM
Alright Charlie.Some crazy times on the i.e.c bus but loved travelling on it back then with some great boys. I remember George and son and also Dickie and Dougie father and son.Thanks for the memories boys GGTTHHi Paul,yip some cracking trips on old I.E.C,Few crackpot ones anaw🤣 , Millwall, Vila ,Belgium both times ,Harrogate was a blast anaw ,owners of hotel got gargled and left wee Stevie and Dickie in charge of bar BIG mistake 🤣,strippers on bus to Aberdeen and Perth ,Airdy, Benalyn kid etc,games of touch back windae could be lethal🤣🤣🤣. Hope your doing fine mucker.

Blaster
02-02-2023, 03:57 PM
Tranent Hibs when I started to go, now East Lothian Hibs

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-02-2023, 04:15 PM
Did anyone on here go on the bus from The Hibs Club down to Duns for the FA Cup Semi-finals being shown live on tv in 89/90? Quite a lively occasion between the Hibees on the bus and the locals that took exception to their pubs being overrun with townies! I think the bus got a police escort back to the motorway after the games!

Think it was the first time both games were live on tv on the same day, absolutely roasting for an early April afternoon I seem to recall.

Palace 4 Liverpool 3 AET
Oldham 3 Man Utd 3 AET

DIXIHIBS
02-02-2023, 04:21 PM
Was defo on a bus from club to peebles one year. Motherwell beat dundee utd....a classic...we watched the FA cup instead!!

hibeg
02-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Thought I had heard the name, didn’t know any details though. Did you advertise it in ‘for the fans’? Cause I think that’s where I heard/saw it.
But thanks for confirming that I haven’t gone completely mad. :greengrin

No we definitely didn’t advertise in the EN. 😂

WoreTheGreen
02-02-2023, 04:25 PM
Did anyone on here go on the bus from The Hibs Club down to Duns for the FA Cup Semi-finals being shown live on tv in 89/90? Quite a lively occasion between the Hibees on the bus and the locals that took exception to their pubs being overrun with townies! I think the bus got a police escort back to the motorway after the games!

Think it was the first time both games were live on tv on the same day, absolutely roasting for an early April afternoon I seem to recall.

Palace 4 Liverpool 3 AET
Oldham 3 Man Utd 3 AET

I was on that trip great day but got a wee bit bother with the locals after the games

hibeg
02-02-2023, 04:30 PM

Strasbourg was on a McKendry coach, it’s imbedded in my brain. Great trip going down, complete nightmare coming home :greengrin

NthCarolinaHibs
02-02-2023, 04:36 PM
Strasbourg was on a McKendry coach, it’s imbedded in my brain. Great trip going down, complete nightmare coming home :greengrin

May well have been..can mind some incident at Calais on the way back where the local boys in blue were called in..a trip I'll never forget 🇳🇬💚🇳🇬

WoreTheGreen
02-02-2023, 04:41 PM
On the Carlton to Belgium the Bog was broken as we reached Penicuik.The next trip l flew.

Flanny boy
02-02-2023, 04:50 PM
Hi Paul,yip some cracking trips on old I.E.C,Few crackpot ones anaw🤣 , Millwall, Vila ,Belgium both times ,Harrogate was a blast anaw ,owners of hotel got gargled and left wee Stevie and Dickie in charge of bar BIG mistake 🤣,strippers on bus to Aberdeen and Perth ,Airdy, Benalyn kid etc,games of touch back windae could be lethal🤣🤣🤣. Hope your doing fine mucker.
I’m alright thanks cha,hope you are good mate.With dickie behind the bar in Harrogate it was 2p a drink if I remember right lol and me and Duffy’s first time on the bus a game of touch back windae got a bit heated and a certain man on the bus took his teeth oot stuck them in big Duffy’s hand and said hold them a minute pal I’m going to do him in .We couldn’t wait to travel on the bus the following week,good times with very good hibbies 👍

Bridge hibs
02-02-2023, 04:54 PM
Some cracking stories/memories, I bet a few young bucks are reading this thread and thinking what the ****, radges 🤣

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-02-2023, 04:58 PM

Was it not the Waterloo bar at Waterloo Place 🤔

I'm_cabbaged
02-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Thanks.

Bus always had a toilet and i remember plates of sandwiches and sausage rolls etc on trips up north.

Aye a few got their sausage roll wae the jack the rippers 🤣🤣

I'm_cabbaged
02-02-2023, 05:23 PM
Between ‘80 & ‘84 (give or take a year) was a regular on the Schaedler then the Granton Travel.
In the years after dotted about on a few others, the Libby, Carlton, Artisan, Pentland, Beastie bus.
Nothing came close to the madhouse of the Shades and the Granton. Both banned from the official supporters club and always ‘memorable’ & ‘eventful’ (a polite way of saying f****** mental!).
When ‘Tam the driver’ (Shades) was usually the most pissed on the bus it was never going to be anything other than f****** mental.

Can mind the driver getting pissed on the way back from Dundee, the polis wouldn’t let us leave until he sobered up IIRC 🤣

DIXIHIBS
02-02-2023, 05:33 PM
Was it not the Waterloo bar at Waterloo Place 🤔

Was it not haymarket bar...

Aldo
02-02-2023, 05:38 PM
Aye a few got their sausage roll wae the jack the rippers [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Forgot about that. Eye opener for a young lad.
I also remember hiding all the booze in the toilet from the cops on a trip to Aberdeen.

What I do remember is being made very welcome and everyone was looked after.

pollution
02-02-2023, 05:38 PM
What was the story behind the Dean Hotel Hibs club in Clarendon Crescent ?

It always struck me as an unusual place for a club.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-02-2023, 05:44 PM
I'm sure I've mentioned on here before about playing for the Hawkhill Branch in a five a side tournament for football supporters clubs up in Perth about 30 odd years ago that got a bit lively afterwards resulting in an overturned pool table in one of the local pubs, I'm sure we ended up in The Blue Oyster Club when we eventually got back IIRC! 😀

DIXIHIBS
02-02-2023, 05:55 PM
I'm sure I've mentioned on here before about playing for the Hawkhill Branch in a five a side tournament for football supporters clubs up in Perth about 30 odd years ago that got a bit lively afterwards resulting in an overturned pool table in one of the local pubs, I'm sure we ended up in The Blue Oyster Club when we eventually got back IIRC! 😀

I played up there for the southern. Played supporters clubs from all teams....including hertz. It was at the Bell sports centre i think.

sadtom
02-02-2023, 05:55 PM
Can mind the driver getting pissed on the way back from Dundee, the polis wouldn’t let us leave until he sobered up IIRC 🤣

Yep. Stopped in Kinross. A load of Huns took a liberty with 2 laddies from the bus, not realising there was a coach load of us parked round the corner. Said liberty takers got a pasting in a pool hall. Polis turned up just as Tam the driver was getting carried onto the bus. :faf:
Spent the next wee while forcing cups of black coffee down him then got escorted out the town and told never to return. Of course the very next time we were in Dundee or Aberdeen, that’s exactly where we went back to (that was another story though! :wink:)
It all seemed so normal and harmless back then but it makes me laugh and shake my head in equal measures nowadays.

DIXIHIBS
02-02-2023, 05:56 PM
I played up there for the southern. Played supporters clubs from all teams....including hertz. It was at the Bell sports centre i think.

Ps a guy from st giles broke his leg v hertz.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-02-2023, 06:02 PM

Aye, that sounds about right.

I'm_cabbaged
02-02-2023, 06:03 PM
Yep. Stopped in Kinross. A load of Huns took a liberty with 2 laddies from the bus, not realising there was a coach load of us parked round the corner. Said liberty takers got a pasting in a pool hall. Polis turned up just as Tam the driver was getting carried onto the bus. :faf:
Spent the next wee while forcing cups of black coffee down him then got escorted out the town and told never to return. Of course the very next time we were in Dundee or Aberdeen, that’s exactly where we went back to (that was another story though! :wink:)
It all seemed so normal and harmless back then but it makes me laugh and shake my head in equal measures nowadays.

Did the said huns not end up to be Raith Rover supporters?
Sure that was the day that a fan sadly lost his life when the double decker (Granton bus?) got blown over on the motorway?
I was only about 13 and my parents were worried sick as I never got home till after midnight.

Cheshire Hibby
02-02-2023, 06:05 PM

I was a youngster on the ‘Bathgate & West Lothian’ Hibs Supporters bus (at least that is how I remember the name of the bus) in the early 70’s that was run by Billy Kay. His son Dean was regularly with him on the bus. I recall the Kay’s as devoted Hibs fans.
My Hibs pal and I were picked up at the east end of Boghall (Pentland Avenue Bus stop). We were both on that bus for News Year Day 01/01/1973.
Also on the bus for the 1972 Scottish Cup Final, Dryborough Cup Final and League Cup Final (72/73).
I recall the bus as being very busy in those days and like yourself we were regularly lifted over the turnstiles by the more elderly members.
Good memories all round.

Logie Green
02-02-2023, 06:07 PM

I also played for Hawkhill in that competition as well as the Saturday morning Hibs Club league. 🤔

Willie McDonald was the manager if I recall correctly. Still see a few folk from those days occasionally at games. I didn’t stay on in Perth afterwards so can take no responsibility for any shenanigans. 🤡

sadtom
02-02-2023, 06:09 PM
Did the said huns not end up to be Raith Rover supporters?
Sure that was the day that a fan sadly lost his life when the double decker (Granton bus?) got blown over on the motorway?
I was only about 13 and my parents were worried sick as I never got home till after midnight.

Definitely Huns, a minibus full of them coming back from their game.

It could have been that day when the bus crashed on the way to Tannadice. Certainly around that time.
It was the Libby bus, not the Granton, that turned over. Couple of my pals were on it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-02-2023, 06:19 PM
I also played for Hawkhill in that competition as well as the Saturday morning Hibs Club league. 🤔

Willie McDonald was the manager if I recall correctly. Still see a few folk from those days occasionally at games. I didn’t stay on in Perth afterwards so can take no responsibility for any shenanigans. 🤡

Aye, that's right. Rab, Dennis, George and numerous Stevies along with Mike Sweeney who I still bump into now and again IIRC. 😉

cabbageandribs1875
02-02-2023, 06:28 PM

yes,only met Billy a couple of times through another couple of hiibbys up in the Glenmavis, nice guy

I was a youngster on the ‘Bathgate & West Lothian’ Hibs Supporters bus (at least that is how I remember the name of the bus) in the early 70’s that was run by Billy Kay. His son Dean was regularly with him on the bus. I recall the Kay’s as devoted Hibs fans.
My Hibs pal and I were picked up at the east end of Boghall (Pentland Avenue Bus stop). We were both on that bus for News Year Day 01/01/1973.
Also on the bus for the 1972 Scottish Cup Final, Dryborough Cup Final and League Cup Final (72/73).
I recall the bus as being very busy in those days and like yourself we were regularly lifted over the turnstiles by the more elderly members.
Good memories all round.

my memory is dreadful but i always thought it was Billy senior and Billy junior, oh and i'm in the Boghall Butchers twice/week :greengrinwhen i was in on tuesday the woman that served me noticed my Hibs wallet and said her hubby was a hibs fan as well, both of us originally from Leith

Cheshire Hibby
02-02-2023, 06:40 PM
yes,only met Billy a couple of times through another couple of hiibbys up in the Glenmavis, nice guy

my memory is dreadful but i always thought it was Billy senior and Billy junior, oh and i'm in the Boghall Butchers twice/week :greengrinwhen i was in on tuesday the woman that served me noticed my Hibs wallet and said her hubby was a hibs fan as well, both of us originally from Leith

If the butchers is still in the same unit, our family lived in the house immediately to its rear on Margaret Avenue. I have always remembered his son as Dean but might be wrong.

brog
02-02-2023, 06:42 PM
What was the story behind the Dean Hotel Hibs club in Clarendon Crescent ?

It always struck me as an unusual place for a club.

I'm not sure it was a regular bus, possibly more of a special occasion. I've been in London for many years but regularly travelled through from The Dean for semis and finals. The Dean Hotel was run by Billy and Yvonne McLennan, both remain season ticket holders.

Keith_M
02-02-2023, 06:44 PM
I recall being on the Artisan bus when it took a detour to assist some ??Austrian tourists whose bus had broken down. The look of fear on their faces as they boarded the bus was priceless!

�� We’ll Take More Care Of You - ARTISAN ARTISAN.

I remember that well, We were on the M90 on the way to Tannadice (I think) and we stopped and gave them a lift to Scone Palace.

Like you, I also remember the nervous way they got on the bus :greengrin

Logie Green
02-02-2023, 06:47 PM
Aye, that's right. Rab, Dennis, George and numerous Stevies along with Mike Sweeney who I still bump into now and again IIRC. 😉

A few names from the past there. I thought about changing my name to Stevie so I’d definitely get a game. 🤡

I also bump into Mike now and then, a good lad.

cabbageandribs1875
02-02-2023, 06:55 PM
If the butchers is still in the same unit, our family lived in the house immediately to its rear on Margaret Avenue. I have always remembered his son as Dean but might be wrong.

:agree: my daughter lives in same road when not at her boyfriend in stirling, i'm trying to remember the surname of a gent called Alan that i blethered with a few times in both the Glenmavis and the volunteer arms(the vatican) both him and his son(Alan jr) were Hibbies Alan snr was a joiner and had a unit down in Easton road/Burnside Road, i take it you remember Boghall Social Club :greengrin

Keith_M
02-02-2023, 06:57 PM
Aye, we try to keep the hillfooters out!! Joking aside its amazing how many Hibbies there are in our area. For cup finals we can very easily fill a full 60 seats and often have to turn folk away. These aren't just glory hunters as most still go regularly just not on the bus. Amazing that our branch has been active for decades when we are Old Firm central, especially the hun!

I lived in Fishcross for a while in the mid-to-late 90s and was on your bus a few times. IIRC, it left from a Pub near the (now demolished) Co-op Dept Store.

Both my kids were dragged along a few times, when they were really young, and were always made very welcome

:aok:

SiinDubai
02-02-2023, 06:57 PM
The Levenhall wasnt Mrs Foremans, they were seperate boozers, I used to drink in Foremans on occassion with a mate and used to venture along to the Levenhall to have a blether with then proprietor mad Irishman Gerry

I knew Gerry well, he was a regular over at the Ravelstone.
Some character !!!

gbhibby
02-02-2023, 07:03 PM
Yes they were wild windows broken a few times probably because they were green.Anybody remember Maudes bus?
Ps Just noticed it has been mentioned. The picnic branch. Packed lunches at the ready.

SideBurns
02-02-2023, 07:09 PM

Did Alloa Hibs run a bus to Millwall in 1990? I've got a recollection of sitting with Alloa boys in a pub near the ground (with my mate, Col L) and they had bottles of 'juice' under the table filled with voddy (which they generously shared)!

The rest, as they say, is, eh, history...

weecounty hibby
02-02-2023, 07:12 PM
Did Alloa Hibs run a bus to Millwall in 1990? I've got a recollection of sitting with Alloa boys in a pub near the ground (with my mate, Col L) and they had bottles of 'juice' under the table filled with voddy (which they generously shared)!

The rest, as they say, is, eh, history...

No, not a bus but there were a few down. I wasn't one of them. Couple of the boys got a right kicking at the game. We were just talking about it a couple if weeks ago

weecounty hibby
02-02-2023, 07:14 PM
I lived in Fishcross for a while in the mid-to-late 90s and was on your bus a few times. IIRC, it left from a Pub near the (now demolished) Co-op Dept Store.

Both my kids were dragged along a few times, when they were really young, and were always made very welcome

:aok:
Yip, McKinlays bar. Sadly no longer there. Was meant to be a celtic pub but we got treated better by the owners than the celtic fans.

Bridge hibs
02-02-2023, 07:16 PM
I knew Gerry well, he was a regular over at the Ravelstone.
Some character !!!
He was indeed, he loved a bet on the horses, always told us his Brother used to be a Jockey, he very well might have been but I could never take him seriously🤣

Cheshire Hibby
02-02-2023, 07:18 PM
:agree: my daughter lives in same road when not at her boyfriend in stirling, i'm trying to remember the surname of a gent called Alan that i blethered with a few times in both the Glenmavis and the volunteer arms(the vatican) both him and his son(Alan jr) were Hibbies Alan snr was a joiner and had a unit down in Easton road/Burnside Road, i take it you remember Boghall Social Club :greengrin

Sorry, no memories of Boghall Social Club. Don’t believe I was ever in it. Family left Boghall in 77/78. Where was the Social Club?

In 78 I came south to College. I don’t recall Alan and Alan (crap memory) but I recently reconnected (at Paul Hanlon’s Testimonial Dinner) after some 40 years, with another Boghall Hibby who I also used to go to ER with along with his dad but not on the Bathgate Bus. He is still a Season Ticket holder and texts me after most games with his views on performances - much appreciated.

Hibby Bairn
02-02-2023, 07:19 PM
My pal and I ran the Capital Hibs bus in mid 80s. Not sure if this is the same version mentioned earlier or a separate one.

It only lasted a year or two as we had too many bams on it. I can't remember the drivers name but it may also be the one mentioned earlier (Tam).

The bus was a McKendry's and it left from Shades pub at the foot of Easter Road. It picked up at various stops including Norhet in Davidson Mains, Clermiston Inn and Barnton/Maybury.

Trips to Aberdeen were full day affairs. Post match stopping in Stonehaven, Forfar, Dundee etc. The driver was fond of a wee vodka often whilst on the M90. Swigging from a 2 litre bottle of vodka and coke/orange/lemonade handed to him by a "member"!. Driving standing up joining in with the songs.

Recollections of being escorted out of Forfar (I think) after the whole bus was standing on the tables in a local bar giving it big licks with Hibs songs.

Used to have good banter with the Artisan bus singing songs at away games. "We're from the Capital"

I was only 17 at the time. Running a bus full of bams. Especially the Clerie Inn crew.

Also took 92 to Scotland v Spain at Hampden on a 57 seater. Bus was full when we reached The Norhet and 30 odd piled on. We just closed the doors and went!

It all came to a predictable end coming back from Ibrox when one of said bams opened the rear emergency window exit and chucked a headrest through the front window of a car full of Rangers fans. On the M8.

McKendry's wouldn't give us any more buses and as word got around neither would anyone else.

Mental times. Can't believe it was almost 40 years ago!

Fanforlife
02-02-2023, 07:21 PM
I’m alright thanks cha,hope you are good mate.With dickie behind the bar in Harrogate it was 2p a drink if I remember right lol and me and Duffy’s first time on the bus a game of touch back windae got a bit heated and a certain man on the bus took his teeth oot stuck them in big Duffy’s hand and said hold them a minute pal I’m going to do him in .We couldn’t wait to travel on the bus the following week,good times with very good hibbies 👍sure it was 2p a round Paul,had to stop a few from trying to chore the piano from hotel🤣 ,more than one candidate for removing their teeth as well🤣. Bus was like a mobile pub,great times though.

tamig
02-02-2023, 07:26 PM
Started off on the Musselburgh bus in 79. Left from Port Seton, the Pans then Musselburgh. Then moved to the Tranent bus early 80s which left from Macmerry with stops in Tranent then the Pans and when I moved “up the Toon” in 87 it was the Gylemuir bus. First pick up was from the Marina Hotel in Inverleith Row then off to Jimmy O’Rourke’s Gylemuir boozer which stood on the site of the big Corstorphine Tesco’s now car park. Very many happy days and numerous tales of bus breakdowns and various alternative trips home.

cabbageandribs1875
02-02-2023, 07:31 PM
Sorry, no memories of Boghall Social Club. Don’t believe I was ever in it. Family left Boghall in 77/78. Where was the Social Club?

In 78 I came south to College. I don’t recall Alan and Alan (crap memory) but I recently reconnected (at Paul Hanlon’s Testimonial Dinner) after some 40 years, with another Boghall Hibby who I also used to go to ER with along with his dad but not on the Bathgate Bus. He is still a Season Ticket holder and texts me after most games with his views on performances - much appreciated.

it was at the bend down the bottom of the hill part of Marina road, i remember getting told that upper Boghall was built specifically for the workers/families working at British Leyland(Bathgate No More) great story meeting up with your old mate again :agree:

Cheshire Hibby
02-02-2023, 07:46 PM
it was at the bend down the bottom of the hill part of Marina road, i remember getting told that upper Boghall was built specifically for the workers/families working at British Leyland(Bathgate No More) great story meeting up with your old mate again :agree:

BSC must have been near to the entrance to the Bathgate Academy Playing Fields by what we used to call the ‘Rabbit Hill’ off Marina Road. Pretty sure it was built post 77/78.

A lot of Boghall folk worked at the Truck and Tractor plant and you can clearly see the various phases of the housing scheme with the different designs and materials in the upper Boghall area.

Yes, it was and still is great to have reconnected. Still trying to find out about another Boghall Hibby who was responsible for taking me to my first Hibs match on the Bathgate and West Lothian Supporters Bus. Hopefully one day!

oldbutdim
02-02-2023, 07:49 PM
Pentland Branch back in the 70s. Total carnage on Aberdeen trips, left at 8.30 from Waterloo Place and left Aberdeen around 1am. Used to sell pontoon tickets at my work which paid for my seat. 🍻

I was a regular on that bus, always used to be a spare seat or two on the way back, particularly Aberdeen games.
Vodka and Pomagne cocktails on the way up.............
Literally.

"Leaving at 2.0"

I met the guy who put that ad in, who was working in Corfu after becoming unpopular in Edinburgh for some reason......

He was doing ads there, and as a result my photograph appeared in the Cosmos brochure for Kavos.
I was resplendent in Hibs cap, and green speedos.

I think Cosmos later went bust, although I'm sure there was no connection.

As I recall, the pic was taken when I was reading about the Flying Pig signing for the Huns.

bringbackbenny
02-02-2023, 08:54 PM
Lots of great memories as well, the Beastie bus late 80's then the Crown and Cushion for a season or 2 in the early 90's.

Vaguely remember someone on the Beastie bus nicking a cops radio at Tannadice??

Zondervan
02-02-2023, 08:55 PM
Another one here for Dougies bus from The Gardeners.

“They’re building houses….”

“Boooooooo…..”

offshorehibby
02-02-2023, 09:08 PM

Iggy Pope ex contributor on here has asked me to pass on the following

I cannae do it obviously but if you get a minute reply to (Hibbyradge) on the buses thread that Hawkhill got it’s picnic branch name due to Stevie Paton getting a birthday cake on a trip to Aberdeen!
Also remember fondly the Capital boys waiting on the bus at London Rd as ours drove by and wondering why they didn’t get on at the top of the lane!
Hope you’re well mate.
Stevie.

ErinGoBraghHFC
02-02-2023, 09:12 PM
My pal and I ran the Capital Hibs bus in mid 80s. Not sure if this is the same version mentioned earlier or a separate one.

It only lasted a year or two as we had too many bams on it. I can't remember the drivers name but it may also be the one mentioned earlier (Tam).

The bus was a McKendry's and it left from Shades pub at the foot of Easter Road. It picked up at various stops including Norhet in Davidson Mains, Clermiston Inn and Barnton/Maybury.

Trips to Aberdeen were full day affairs. Post match stopping in Stonehaven, Forfar, Dundee etc. The driver was fond of a wee vodka often whilst on the M90. Swigging from a 2 litre bottle of vodka and coke/orange/lemonade handed to him by a "member"!. Driving standing up joining in with the songs.

Recollections of being escorted out of Forfar (I think) after the whole bus was standing on the tables in a local bar giving it big licks with Hibs songs.

Used to have good banter with the Artisan bus singing songs at away games. "We're from the Capital"

I was only 17 at the time. Running a bus full of bams. Especially the Clerie Inn crew.

Also took 92 to Scotland v Spain at Hampden on a 57 seater. Bus was full when we reached The Norhet and 30 odd piled on. We just closed the doors and went!

It all came to a predictable end coming back from Ibrox when one of said bams opened the rear emergency window exit and chucked a headrest through the front window of a car full of Rangers fans. On the M8.

McKendry's wouldn't give us any more buses and as word got around neither would anyone else.

I’m sorry - he done ****in whit[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] on the M8 as well, outstanding

offshorehibby
02-02-2023, 09:13 PM

I, andi ended up in our 3rd team with Rocky, wee Mcnally and a few other youngsters at the time and we did all right for ourselves.

cabbageandribs1875
02-02-2023, 09:18 PM
BSC must have been near to the entrance to the Bathgate AcademyPlaying Fields by what we used to call the ‘Rabbit Hill’ off Marina Road. Pretty sure it was built post 77/78.

A lot of Boghall folk worked at the Truck and Tractor plant and you can clearly see the various phases of the housing scheme with the different designs and materials in the upper Boghall area.

Yes, it was and still is great to have reconnected. Still trying to find out about another Boghall Hibby who was responsible for taking me to my first Hibs match on the Bathgate and West Lothian Supporters Bus. Hopefully one day!

yep i think that's right, i'm not too sure if still playing fields at the back nowadays, it's certainly all new housing at the roadside anyway.

offshorehibby
02-02-2023, 09:55 PM

Yes definitely a different outfit. I do believe something else started up a couple of years later with same name.

Fratelli
02-02-2023, 10:10 PM
Great thread…

As a Musselburgh boy, I travelled on our local bus, full of great guys, many of whom I still see in the concourse of the East Stand.

Back then (80s) the most memorable trips were to Tynecastle when we parked up Ashley Terrace as we had the Gorgie Road end.

I remember one year us walking down Ashley Terrace ‘mob handed’ onto Shandon, and a certain bus member who was also a Hibs reserve goalie chucking a brick from the main road down onto a parked car below. It may have been the same game but we lost and as we sat in the bus waiting to head back to ‘Skippers’ in Musselburgh, gloating Hearts fans started driving past giving us the ‘Vs’ - big mistake as the more volatile members piled off the double decker and pelted the cars with bricks as the traffic lights sat at red!

Another game there was a scuffle near the canal and a Jambo was chucked in but one of our mob was hurt and we dropped him off at the hospital.

Last memory was the 2.2 in ‘85 when Joe McBride scored 2 in the last 6 minutes to rescue a draw and half the bus missed the goals!

Great times and great guys from the ‘Honest Toun!’

Forza Fred
02-02-2023, 10:32 PM
Remember back in the day there were lists of Hibs supporters buses leaving Edinburgh on a Friday night on the back page of the EEN for the following days match

A favourite of mine was the Carlton Branch leaving Haymarket 12.30

Eddie Campbell and Jimmy Marriot

Always a post match whip roond after for the bail money :greengrin

And Davie Panton who was the convenor at one time, and Messrs Dougan, Ferguson, Williamson and Legget...

Remember we had a camera man on the bus filming for a documentary going through to Hampden for the cup final against Celtic in 72.

Arrangement was that he would film us to and from Hampden...only after getting beat 6-1 we didn't wait for him, and got out on the road as soon as we could.
Hope's he got back by now

.Sean.
02-02-2023, 10:33 PM
Not read the thread but myself and my pals went through a stage of jumping on the Dalkeith and Bonnyrigg bus up to Inverness for a few years around 2008/09 and they were the best trips going. Had my 18th birthday up there with them and Bolton away amongst others. Brilliant

HappyAsHellas
02-02-2023, 10:47 PM
I joined the Hibs supporters club in 1972 and was in the Eastern branch. You had to sell tickets every week for your seat on the bus, and as we were only 14 at the time you were not allowed near the bar but some of the guys would sometimes give us a can on the buses. Remember going to Leeds and the driver turned into a street near Elland road and there was washing hanging over the middle of the road, something I'd never seen in Scotland. One momentous occasion we were on our way back from Glasgow and someone wanted a fish supper at Harthill, but not the services, the actual town itself. This lead to some folk saying it was a hun town and telling the driver not to go, advice which he chose to ignore and we left with half the windows missing. I seem to remember there used to be loads of buses left the top of the lane every away game or maybe that's just my memory nowadays.

zitelli62
02-02-2023, 10:52 PM
As a kid I was on the hawkhill bus as that's the only one my mum and dad would let me go on as they both knew maude as I got older I joined the stanton branch some great trips by my greatest memory was playing against the great man for the branch against his hotel In Joppa I played football at a fair level for 20 years but nothing will take that memory away till the day I die.

Carheenlea
02-02-2023, 11:07 PM

Will never forget that informal meeting that started out with the intent of simply gauging whether or not there was enough interest in making a regular bus a viable proposition then ending with someone suggesting actually buying a bus then wasting some time discussing where It could be parked in between games :hilarious

SkyeHibs
02-02-2023, 11:33 PM
In the late 70's early 80's I travelled on and helped run eventually a bus called Capital Hibs, we left from London Rd at the top of Easter Rd. I can mind taking 3 buses to 79 cup final and coming back with very few windows.

Happy days remember it well. First Capital Hibs outing was a 29 seater to Clydebank, a few empty seats on the return journey. :greengrin I remember the Strasbourg trip well from the Hibs club as well.

EskbankHibby
03-02-2023, 08:49 AM
“Boooooooo…..”

"Public houses..."

BigKev
03-02-2023, 08:54 AM
Not read the thread but myself and my pals went through a stage of jumping on the Dalkeith and Bonnyrigg bus up to Inverness for a few years around 2008/09 and they were the best trips going. Had my 18th birthday up there with them and Bolton away amongst others. Brilliant

Those were some days out 🤣 Inverness trips on the bus were the highlight of the season. No sure many folk remember much after the pit stop at Pitlochry on the way home.

flash
03-02-2023, 08:57 AM
As a kid I was on the hawkhill bus as that's the only one my mum and dad would let me go on as they both knew maude as I got older I joined the stanton branch some great trips by my greatest memory was playing against the great man for the branch against his hotel In Joppa I played football at a fair level for 20 years but nothing will take that memory away till the day I die.

Aye we used to train on Porty beach with Pat then head back to the Seahaven, which he owned at the time, for pints and a pub quiz

O'Rourke3
03-02-2023, 09:43 AM

Always had a great time and met a lot of young guys my age that I long considered my mates, Fairnie, Jed, etc

I was working full time in the Artisan when the bus started up. My favourite memory involved Old George from the Artisan's famous "Under the clock" gang. Was in his late 70s or early 80s and came into the pub everyday to have a sleep. Been a regular for years. His first Hibs match away was at Dundee so the bus took him to the away game at Dundee game and got him :in, pished, and back again safely.

offshorehibby
03-02-2023, 09:45 AM
Happy days remember it well. First Capital Hibs outing was a 29 seater to Clydebank, a few empty seats on the return journey. :greengrin I remember the Strasbourg trip well from the Hibs club as well.

Some good laughs and a good bus.

zitelli62
03-02-2023, 10:07 AM
Aye we used to train on Porty beach with Pat then head back to the Seahaven, which he owned at the time, for pints and a pub quiz

Also remember a good few friday nights there with the branch playing darts,pool, dominos I think we're always great nights,something I miss these days as I travel to away games by car with my family but definitely miss the banter of the bus imagine putting my cap round the car for the driver whipround I would end up owing myself money.

SideBurns
03-02-2023, 10:46 AM
No, not a bus but there were a few down. I wasn't one of them. Couple of the boys got a right kicking at the game. We were just talking about it a couple if weeks ago

We probably left the pub together, and ran into the same mob (I took a second prize masel')...

Spent much of the first half in the first aid tent at the ground, managed to see Micky Weir's equaliser though 😆

That was one mental trip. Never has the description 'friendly' felt less appropriate!

GerryS
03-02-2023, 11:10 AM
Bonnyrigg bus for me in the early 70s. Picked up at the Harrow Hotel Dalkeith.
Remember a guy called Bruno missed the bus going up to Muirton Park Perth. I’m not sure if the motorway went all the way up in those days ( I’m convinced it didn’t) but we used stop of for a beer or two at Glenfarg. Bruno duly arrived at the Glenfarg watering hole by Taxi.

Later in the 70s a guy who worked at the local Gorebridge saw mill had a van with bench seating in the back. There seemed to be about 100 of us in the back, home and away. Top man was Jimmy Pringle. Happiest days of my life.

Bonnyrigg branch in the mid 80s to mid 90s. It picked up from Dalkeith Bus Station. Some epic trips included Aston Villa away on an Eastern Scottish single decker and all the Pittodrie games. Skol Cup Final in 1991 was the best ever though. Great memories and some great characters (Ian Brennan and Eric Stevenson included).

berwickhibee
03-02-2023, 11:20 AM
I travelled up from Berwick to go on the iec bus, burnt my whole wage on the away days. Great days, trips to Aberdeen with a stripper on the bus 🤣

Charlie McLeish and Stevie Hudson ran the bus, remember characters like dickie, dougie,whitey,flanny😁💚. And a big lad from Joppa, forget his name now.

What a crew💚

BILLYHIBS
03-02-2023, 11:26 AM
I have told this story before but as a 13 year old I went masel on the Carlton Branch to the 1971 Cup Final

My Dad wouldn’t take me as he had seen that movie before too many times

Because I was on my own they told me to sit up beside the Driver

Anyway long story short 1-4 down mass pagger breaks out flying boatils etc found myself separated on the pitch with the First Aiders

I eventually found my way back to Kings Park and there waiting for me amongst thousands of buses was the Carlton Branch bus full to the rafters ready to go

Every last man convinced that we had been robbed and we would be back

Carheenlea
03-02-2023, 11:28 AM

Palace 4 Liverpool 3 AET
Oldham 3 Man Utd 3 AET

I’m from Peebles, and do remember when ITV started showing live games and such was the novelty you would often see mini buses travelling down to take advantage of Peebles having Border Television. More often than not it ended up with scrapping and police involvement.

Back then there was a real intolerance to anyone not from your home town!

GordonHFC
03-02-2023, 12:07 PM
Winchburgh Bus

gringojoe
03-02-2023, 12:38 PM

Aye good bus, took care of us youngsters. Was to young to go to player of year dance so got us Hibs tops instead, funny enough won a 40oz of OVD that I was allowed to have

Keith_M
03-02-2023, 12:42 PM
Aye good bus, took care of us youngsters. Was to young to go to player of year dance so got us Hibs tops instead, funny enough won a 40oz of OVD that I was allowed to have

When did you used to travel on the Artisan, mate?

I went on it regularly in the early to mid 80s, so probably before your time :greengrin

hibby67
03-02-2023, 12:56 PM

Ah the Granton travel remember it well … I used to pick it up at the Gunner car park.. was definitely an eye opener for a young 15year old but loved it

gringojoe
03-02-2023, 01:02 PM
When did you used to travel on the Artisan, mate?

I went on it regularly in the early to mid 80s, so probably before your time :greengrin

Same time, went to every away game in those days could go a whole season and not win away from home

Kato
03-02-2023, 01:07 PM
I remember Charlie, East Coast bus, on the slip road to Airdrie persuading the polis that they weren't allowed to come on the bus. A tough, 15 minute conversation. Meanwhile everyone was frantically stashing their stashes. He should have been in the Diplomatic Corps.

Kato
03-02-2023, 01:10 PM
Threads on this subject usually lead to a mention of the bus crash going to the cup tie against Dundee Utd, Liberton Branch.

So a wee mention for Mark McGhee, must be as damn near it to the anniversary of that. RIP Mark #rudeboy

greenlex
03-02-2023, 02:15 PM
Bonnyrigg branch in the mid 80s to mid 90s. It picked up from Dalkeith Bus Station. Some epic trips included Aston Villa away on an Eastern Scottish single decker and all the Pittodrie games. Skol Cup Final in 1991 was the best ever though. Great memories and some great characters (Ian Brennan and Eric Stevenson included).
Ian ran the shop up the road from my auld lady’s house in Birkenside. Good lad.

Zondervan
03-02-2023, 02:25 PM
"Public houses..."

“Yessssssss……!” [emoji1787]

Flanny boy
03-02-2023, 02:39 PM
I travelled up from Berwick to go on the iec bus, burnt my whole wage on the away days. Great days, trips to Aberdeen with a stripper on the bus 🤣

Charlie McLeish and Stevie Hudson ran the bus, remember characters like dickie, dougie,whitey,flanny😁💚. And a big lad from Joppa, forget his name now.

What a crew💚Alright stevie hope your well mate.The I.e.c bus would either make ye or break ye lol.Some very good times with some very good boys,everybody has a story or ten to tell 😉.Good memories with good hibbies pal 👍

Fanforlife
03-02-2023, 02:50 PM

What a crew💚Think the guy from Joppa was Jamie Harrold m8 . Do remember you from back in the day,used to have a m8 travel from Berwick with you? Charlie

Fanforlife
03-02-2023, 02:50 PM
Alright stevie hope your well mate.The I.e.c bus would either make ye or break ye lol.Some very good times with some very good boys,everybody has a story or ten to tell 😉.Good memories with good hibbies pal 👍
😁😁

Fanforlife
03-02-2023, 02:52 PM
I remember Charlie, East Coast bus, on the slip road to Airdrie persuading the polis that they weren't allowed to come on the bus. A tough, 15 minute conversation. Meanwhile everyone was frantically stashing their stashes. He should have been in the Diplomatic Corps.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk🤣🤣🤣🤣(Charlie)

MrSmith
03-02-2023, 02:52 PM
Captains Cabin Hibs supporters bus for me during the 80s. Cannae mind much as was stocious most of the time! Great laugh though before and for some time on the bus. :flag:

SteveHFC
03-02-2023, 02:53 PM
Those were some days out 🤣 Inverness trips on the bus were the highlight of the season. No sure many folk remember much after the pit stop at Pitlochry on the way home.

I do :greengrin.

berwickhibee
03-02-2023, 03:57 PM
Think the guy from Joppa was Jamie Harrold m8 . Do remember you from back in the day,used to have a m8 travel from Berwick with you? Charlie

That's his name👍. Yeah me and another lad, tommo, travelled up together.

Really loved that bus, what a laugh but all the boys were brilliant with us. Got the old cannie bag if Tudor all the time and flanny shouting Berwick bandits all the time.

Looking back, I couldn't have met a better crew, whitey was to thank for that👍

Wondering down Easter road looking for a bus, I asked whitey who he was travelling with?? Come wi me boys🤪 st mirren away and a love affair was born💚

How you keeping Charlie??? Always great with us bud👍

Kato
03-02-2023, 04:00 PM
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787](Charlie)ynt y* b**s

berwickhibee
03-02-2023, 04:03 PM
Alright stevie hope your well mate.The I.e.c bus would either make ye or break ye lol.Some very good times with some very good boys,everybody has a story or ten to tell 😉.Good memories with good hibbies pal 👍

The best times flanny 💚

Wish I could turn the clock back🇳🇬

Remember going to tannadice in the cup with 80 on a 50 seater bus🤪💚

And coming home from Ibrox with Stevie Hudson bleeding all over the bus after a wee altercation but refused to go to a weegie hospital🤣

And the stops in laurencekirk were superb, wee lassie left the cage in the pub open, the bar was emptied pronto and even all the optics made it on to the bus.🤪💚

You still see Gary Blackpool and Bolton???💚

Fanforlife
03-02-2023, 04:09 PM

Really loved that bus, what a laugh but all the boys were brilliant with us. Got the old cannie bag if Tudor all the time and flanny shouting Berwick bandits all the time.

Wondering down Easter road looking for a bus, I asked whitey who he was travelling with?? Come wi me boys🤪 st mirren away and a live affair was born💚

How you keeping Charlie??? Always great with us bud👍Im fine Stevie,just getting on with life and suffering the Hibs per usual 🤣,off down the HTC tonight to watch the under 18,s,grandson part of Hibs squad, he was out injured for 19 weeks, **** start to his career, been put back gradually now allowed to play 60 minutes so hopefully he gets good run out tonight.Aye Gary is some lad (Whitey) as were the majority on bus,got Whitey nickname while travelling to Belgium, least said soonest mended eh!🤣🤣Hope all is well with you bud.

Fanforlife
03-02-2023, 04:11 PM
ynt y* b**s

🤣😁👍👌

Flanny boy
03-02-2023, 04:21 PM

Wondering down Easter road looking for a bus, I asked whitey who he was travelling with?? Come wi me boys🤪 st mirren away and a love affair was born💚

How you keeping Charlie??? Always great with us bud👍 I remember going to pittodrie on a Boxing Day I think and stopping at Lawrencekirk. Being worse for wear jumping back on the bus then crashing out only to wake up to find out I’d got on the wrong bus (Perth Paul Kane). I think the I.r.c boys never got in that day and missed a Hibs 2-1 win if I remember right,happy days boys 👍

Hibbyradge
03-02-2023, 04:28 PM
Threads on this subject usually lead to a mention of the bus crash going to the cup tie against Dundee Utd, Liberton Branch.

So a wee mention for Mark McGhee, must be as damn near it to the anniversary of that. RIP Mark #rudeboy

Yes, I was there that day. Very sad.

tigerted
03-02-2023, 04:28 PM
My dad was a regular on the Willie Muir bus back in the day. Apparently it was a bit of an eye opener. :greengrin

This was actually the Royston Hibs Bus, which left from there Willie Muir. Safest bus/es to travel with, no-one came near to cause trouble, cos of all the bams from Pilton, Royston, West Granton, Muirhouse & Drylaw who were on it. Travelled on it for many years. Who's your dad?

Bridge hibs
03-02-2023, 04:41 PM
Yes, I was there that day. Very sad.

I was on that bus, my mates and Brother bumped me as they jumped on another bus on Easter Road (*******s) the Convener slammed the door shut and said full. I managed to get onto the Liberton bus instead. Ive hated buses ever since and the hairs on my neck stand up everytime I go past the spot where we tipped over

Fanforlife
03-02-2023, 05:10 PM
I remember going to pittodrie on a Boxing Day I think and stopping at Lawrencekirk. Being worse for wear jumping back on the bus then crashing out only to wake up to find out I’d got on the wrong bus (Perth Paul Kane). I think the I.r.c boys never got in that day and missed a Hibs 2-1 win if I remember right,happy days boys 👍think your correct Paul,know for a fact i was in the boozer wae Airdy Irish Sean,Stevie and Gibby for whole game,had to sober up couple of days later for the new year.🤣🤣🤣🤣

scoopyboy
03-02-2023, 05:36 PM
Tranent Hibs bus in the 70s was a blast.

Old Dunsmuir buses which left Ormiston to Macmerry to Tranent and then the Pittencrieff in Musselburgh.

Turnbulls Tornadoes years were brilliant, especially away games.

sadtom
03-02-2023, 05:50 PM
Ah the Granton travel remember it well … I used to pick it up at the Gunner car park.. was definitely an eye opener for a young 15year old but loved it

:agree: Not for the faint hearted and eh, character building (cough).

Loadsa shenanigans. 3 to a seat on the way through and a seat to yersel on the way back! :greengrin
Still laugh at the huge framed picture of the Pope at the back window, that was only brought out for trips to Mordor, of course.

Kato
03-02-2023, 06:45 PM
I was on that bus, my mates and Brother bumped me as they jumped on another bus on Easter Road (*******s) the Convener slammed the door shut and said full. I managed to get onto the Liberton bus instead. Ive hated buses ever since and the hairs on my neck stand up everytime I go past the spot where we tipped overGoing round Picardy Place gets to me sometimes.

Nakedmanoncrack
03-02-2023, 06:59 PM
I’m from Peebles, and do remember when ITV started showing live games and such was the novelty you would often see mini buses travelling down to take advantage of Peebles having Border Television. More often than not it ended up with scrapping and police involvement.

Back then there was a real intolerance to anyone not from your home town!

Scotland really was a narrow minded place in those days!

This has been a great thread of reminiscing, but things which seemed a routine part of the football day out then; drunken bus drivers, broken bus windows, violence, empty seats on return journeys due to arrests etc are fortunately no longer the norm, which whilst admittedly making things seem a bit duller is surely a sign of progress.

Bearsden Hibby
03-02-2023, 07:45 PM
I was the secretary of the Bathgate and District late 60’s early 70’s at the time Billy Kay was president and yes he was a gentleman and a great Hibby. I lived in Armadale at that time and it was a busy bus.
We used to do overnighters to Aberdeen. In 1971 we entered the annual indoor 5 a-side tournament open to all branches and won it beating the Carlton Branch in the final. We also one time went to Greenock in the bus and parked in the wrong place and the local neds smashed every window down one side. On the way back on the M8 we stopped to see if we could offer assistance to a fellow supporter’s bus that had broken down. The looks we got where they saw our bus was priceless. Happy days!

silverhibee
03-02-2023, 08:12 PM

Also traveled on the Granton travel bus, crazy times, I actually seen the crest a few months ago that was on the front of the bus. Great memories.

Just_Jimmy
03-02-2023, 08:27 PM
Famous Fife - Inverkeithing branch seems to be thriving these daysUsed to travel on that when it was glenrothes and Leslie as the starting point.

Good Times.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edinburgh Green
03-02-2023, 08:35 PM
This was actually the Royston Hibs Bus, which left from there Willie Muir. Safest bus/es to travel with, no-one came near to cause trouble, cos of all the bams from Pilton, Royston, West Granton, Muirhouse & Drylaw who were on it. Travelled on it for many years. Who's your dad?

Martin Smith from Royston

berwickhibee
04-02-2023, 06:35 AM
Im fine Stevie,just getting on with life and suffering the Hibs per usual 🤣,off down the HTC tonight to watch the under 18,s,grandson part of Hibs squad, he was out injured for 19 weeks, **** start to his career, been put back gradually now allowed to play 60 minutes so hopefully he gets good run out tonight.Aye Gary is some lad (Whitey) as were the majority on bus,got Whitey nickname while travelling to Belgium, least said soonest mended eh!🤣🤣Hope all is well with you bud.
You must be proud Charlie🇳🇬 will keep an eye out for him👍 GGTTH💚

TheCabbage
04-02-2023, 07:56 AM
1st trip away was the Torino bus to Clydebank.
Ended up in the shorter coach as main 2 was full.
Got swindled out of first goal scorer and we were attacked by a gang with scaffolding poles.
Eye opener for a 13 year old.
Travelled on hawk hill whilst still at school but as soon as I started working and worked weekend overtime drifted away from away games until a job change and by that time I had a car so was easier and quicker

Keith_M
04-02-2023, 07:57 AM
Same time, went to every away game in those days could go a whole season and not win away from home

Do you remember an away day game to Motherwell, around '83 or '84, and one of the teenage nutters... having been ejected from the stadium by two burly Polis.... was serenaded back on to the bus after the game with a loud rendition of "Hooli, Hooligan... Hooli, Hooli, Hooligan"?

I've never been so embarrassed :greengrin

Fanforlife
04-02-2023, 08:35 AM
You must be proud Charlie🇳🇬 will keep an eye out for him👍 GGTTH💚I certainly am m8. They won 1 0 tonight,were up against it but stood firm to the physical side and grandson got the whole game in which he played well .😁👍

sadtom
04-02-2023, 10:33 AM
Also traveled on the Granton travel bus, crazy times, I actually seen the crest a few months ago that was on the front of the bus. Great memories.

Nice. Should be in a museum. :greengrin:wink:

surreyhibbie
08-02-2023, 01:27 PM
Started off on the Musselburgh bus in 79. Left from Port Seton, the Pans then Musselburgh. Then moved to the Tranent bus early 80s which left from Macmerry with stops in Tranent then the Pans and when I moved “up the Toon” in 87 it was the Gylemuir bus. First pick up was from the Marina Hotel in Inverleith Row then off to Jimmy O’Rourke’s Gylemuir boozer which stood on the site of the big Corstorphine Tesco’s now car park. Very many happy days and numerous tales of bus breakdowns and various alternative trips home.

Musselburgh bus was a great laugh, characters like Jim Gardiner Jimmy "Soggy" Ritchie, with me and Eddie Whoriskey, Wullie Godsell, and the Bams fae the Pans ! Jim Bush and the rest of them Charlie Stewart, Raymond Leake (RIP) and too many others.

Used to be run (I think) by Wullie Gordon from Ashgrove who I think was actually my Dad's best man at his wedding.

Fun times at Aberdeen, Leeds etc and smashed windaes on several occasions.