PDA

View Full Version : Good luck Ryan Porteous

h1bs4life
27-01-2023, 04:52 PM
Good luck Ryan Porteous. Got all the attributes to be a top class defender.
Club had a chance over the last 5 years to renew your contract instead seemed to concentrate on others including players nobody else has wanted.

JamesHFC
27-01-2023, 04:58 PM
A good player with potential to fulfill. It's good for him to get out of Scotland and focus on improving as a player without many distractions.

Watford have a lot of good quality, experienced players that he will learn a lot from as well as a great coach. Look forward to seeing how he gets on down there. I get the feeling he be back one day.

Jim_in_Canada
27-01-2023, 05:04 PM
Club had a chance over the last 5 years to renew your contract instead seemed to concentrate on others including players nobody else has wanted.

Couldn't have put it better. Good luck Ryan !

JimBHibees
27-01-2023, 05:17 PM

Good luck Ryan however let's not pretend he couldn't have negotiated a contract in between times

The Harp Awakes
27-01-2023, 05:18 PM
Ryan had no interest in going to Glasgow. He always wanted to go to another country and get a difference experience. Good for him.

A good player with loads of potential for improvement. It will do him good to get away from the biased BBC Scotland pundits, the weegie press and the hun refs.

Billy Whizz
27-01-2023, 05:33 PM
Good luck Ryan

Greenbeard
27-01-2023, 05:38 PM
Had to leave to progress. Nothing at all to do with Hibs not getting a new contract over the line.
As with SJM going to Villa, I'll be looking out for Watford's results and hoping they at least make the play-offs with Porto's help. Wonder if we get a bonus if they get promotion?
Fingers crossed we have a decent sell-on clause, he blossoms, then gets a £20m transfer within a couple of years.

MWHIBBIES
27-01-2023, 06:06 PM
Actually think he'll ****ing smash it. Especially with a decent coach and some stability, which hopefully he gets.

Since452
27-01-2023, 06:09 PM
If he'd signed a new contract months ago and netted us a couple of million then I might have wished him good luck. Just another ex player I couldn't care less about now. Hibs are more important than Porteous. We move on.

hibsitis
27-01-2023, 06:11 PM
Ryan had no interest in going to Glasgow. He always wanted to go to another country and get a difference experience. Good for him.

A good player with loads of potential for improvement. It will do him good to get away from the biased BBC Scotland pundits, the weegie press and the hun refs.

Didn't know Donald Trump was a Hibby :)

Iain G
27-01-2023, 06:11 PM
Good luck Bryan!

jacomo
27-01-2023, 06:17 PM
Great player for Hibs, best of luck to him.

hibeerealist
27-01-2023, 06:21 PM
Good luck Porto!

HendoDelivered
27-01-2023, 06:24 PM
All the best Porto. Will stroll the Championship once he gets used to it IMO.

ekhibee
27-01-2023, 06:25 PM
If he'd signed a new contract months ago and netted us a couple of million then I might have wished him good luck. Just another ex player I couldn't care less about now. Hibs are more important than Porteous. We move on.

Yep, that's kind of how I feel.

Waxy
27-01-2023, 06:38 PM
Still gave his all for us so good luck

weecounty hibby
27-01-2023, 06:45 PM
All the best to him. Bit gutted only to get a reasonably small fee for someone who I think has the potential to be a really top player. I hope he goes on to show just how good he can be

judas
27-01-2023, 06:47 PM

This.

No real interest in Porto now. Not a Hibs legend (or even close).

Looking at what we have and what we will have.

superfurryhibby
27-01-2023, 06:51 PM
Good luck to Porto and thanks for the service. I hope he does brilliantly, the potential is there. Just give up the daft antics and get the basics right.

Itsnoteasy
27-01-2023, 06:52 PM

Your spot on. But whose English team will now be Watford. Maybe the ones who chose to support SJM @ AV.

et_hibby
27-01-2023, 06:53 PM
Had to leave to progress. Nothing at all to do with Hibs not getting a new contract over the line.
As with SJM going to Villa, I'll be looking out for Watford's results and hoping they at least make the play-offs with Porto's help. Wonder if we get a bonus if they get promotion?
Fingers crossed we have a decent sell-on clause, he blossoms, then gets a £20m transfer within a couple of years.
Well said, mate 👍

ErinGoBraghHFC
27-01-2023, 06:56 PM
Best of luck big guy, no that you’ll need it mind. What a pler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SON OF PADDY
27-01-2023, 07:05 PM
Seriously can't believe anyone wouldn't wish the laddie all the best, the lad has been hounded out of Scotland by ********s that should know better.
All the best Porto, thanks for your efforts.

May21/05/16
27-01-2023, 07:20 PM
I would like put on record to say thank you and I'm glad you choose to leave Scottish football
As the media and pundits will no doubt target someone else that stands up the the weegie two

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

CMac1988
27-01-2023, 07:24 PM
Good player who grew up a Hibby and played for his boyhood club. Always had potential but has never really pushed on in the last year or so. He's had a pretty poor season so far and maybe this is fresh start he needed. Some of the critism is just and self inflicted, with the rest beacuse he's become an easy target in the media as a result.

As for leaving. On one hand you can't blame him for going given the state of the club and all the ****e that's come that's likely getting paid a fair chunk more than he is. On the other he's probably been offered a decent wage that's more competitive and if he stayed on and improved his form he'd get a better shot at a bigger club in the Summer. Either way I think we can replace him without too much fuss... or at least you'd like to think a semi competent recruitment team could bring in a defender who does the basics right. Someone who makes less mistakes and isn't continously play acting would do. You give up some of his better qualities but hey ho.

Good luck and Ciao.

HoboHarry
27-01-2023, 07:24 PM
Hope the big yin is a complete success. If he had to leave, I'm glad he went to England rather the Glasgow footballing cess pit.

cabbageandribs1875
27-01-2023, 07:26 PM

this :agree: i have more respect for Martin Boyle and Jason Cummings

and yes i'm a tad bitter about it ;)

Donegal Hibby
27-01-2023, 07:57 PM
Exactly were I'm at about it too . Very disappointed in the way he went about it too!

cabbageandribs1875
27-01-2023, 08:08 PM
can't help but not like this Porto Pic

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FnZgTWSXoAAj_jG?format=jpg&name=medium

OstKurve Hibs
27-01-2023, 08:10 PM
All the best porto !

Lancs Harp
27-01-2023, 08:12 PM
Four and a half year contract. Watford are a decent team with a good set up and he'll be earning mega bucks compared to what we could pay him. He needs to move on to progress, got a battle head of him to get a regular start at Vicarage road. Use the money wisely Hibs (for a change)

Good luck Porto and thanks for the memories

BILLYHIBS
27-01-2023, 08:20 PM

https://i.ibb.co/MgDR706/3009308-A-805-B-43-AD-9-FF0-DCC9-B52-D3-C38.jpg (https://ibb.co/K5j9Wvw)

marinello59
27-01-2023, 08:23 PM
Good luck to him, hope he kicks on and becomes a Scotland regular.

Newry Hibs
27-01-2023, 08:40 PM
Good luck and all that. But ****ing Watford! Jesus.

AgentDaleCooper
27-01-2023, 09:03 PM
I think he'll be back one day. Good luck to him.

CB Hibs 68
27-01-2023, 09:12 PM
Good luck Porto .You have the potential to be a top class player.Thanks for all you have done for Hibs.

leithsansiro
27-01-2023, 10:09 PM
I took a wee look at the Watford version of Hibs.net - think it looks like he’s walking largely into the same situation there as exists here. Described as a “cosmetic change” by his new manager, fans reckon that he’s no better than what they’ve got and are lambasting their board for filling out their team with squad fillers. Sound familiar? One poster noted that they needed proven quality and have instead signed an untested guy with potential.

Skol1972
27-01-2023, 10:31 PM

Had a million pound bid for him in Jan 2021 which was turned down. Good decision at the time but the club should then have offered a better contract. He has seen out his contract and all managers have played him in almost every game when available. So attitude could not have been too bad. Has said he will not sign a new contract before this window allowing the club to get some money for him. Maybe has not been his best this season but hope he makes the best of this move.

Tambo
27-01-2023, 10:54 PM
Good luck to him and no hard feelings towards him, yes there was the contract he never signed but I see no harm in looking out for himself.

Still only 23 and gave it his all and I'm interested to see if he Will finally knuckle down and cut out the nonsense sometimes.

basehibby
27-01-2023, 10:56 PM
All the best Porto! He's never failed to give his all for Hibs that I've seen and goes with my best wishes. Should do him good to get out of the Scottish goldfish bowl and test himself in a very strong English Championship.
I think he'll do well there and will certainly be watching out for Watford results!

#2 Double Tap
27-01-2023, 11:06 PM
All the best Porto! He's never failed to give his all for Hibs that I've seen and goes with my best wishes. Should do him good to get out of the Scottish goldfish bowl and test himself in a very strong English Championship.
I think he'll do well there and will certainly be watching out for Watford results!

Spot on!

loanheadhibby
27-01-2023, 11:45 PM

Yes all the best but he's got to start proving himself at this new level.
It's not everyone's fault bar him.

The Harp Awakes
28-01-2023, 12:44 AM

What's not everyone's fault? Watch yourself, you almost sound like a jambo. Wait a minute....... :wink:

BILLYHIBS
28-01-2023, 05:35 AM

Agree with this

157 appearances and was still making the same stupid basic errors on Sunday that cost us did not learn from his mistakes

I honestly believe Ryan has serious potential and wish him all the best for the future

Cannot fault his commitment to the cabbage and at least we got some sort of fee for him

Needs to remain focused and concentrate for the full ninety minutes and cut out the rash stuff

Jones28
28-01-2023, 06:11 AM
Good luck RP. Lived the dream for 6 years, time for a fresh challenge.

Greenbeard
28-01-2023, 06:39 AM
I took a wee look at the Watford version of Hibs.net - think it looks like he’s walking largely into the same situation there as exists here. Described as a “cosmetic change” by his new manager, fans reckon that he’s no better than what they’ve got and are lambasting their board for filling out their team with squad fillers. Sound familiar? One poster noted that they needed proven quality and have instead signed an untested guy with potential.
You mean "one expert".
:wink:

h1bs4life
28-01-2023, 06:41 AM
Four and a half year contract. Watford are a decent team with a good set up and he'll be earning mega bucks compared to what we could pay him. He needs to move on to progress, got a battle head of him to get a regular start at Vicarage road. Use the money wisely Hibs (for a change)

Good luck Porto and thanks for the memories

Can’t blame anyone from making the move down South.
Now got 4.5 years with very good money and a chance to progress his career.
If it doesn’t work out he will be back up in Scotland on loan but still be getting big wages.
Cummings would have been on big bucks when back up here on loan.

theonlywayisup
28-01-2023, 07:35 AM
I'm really pleased for Ryan. From the first day I saw him play I thought "future Scotland centre back".

I hope he goes on to become a well respected player down South returning one day to captain the Hibees.

BegbieHSC
28-01-2023, 07:39 AM
Gutted. Thank you, good luck, and come home one day!

500miles
28-01-2023, 10:27 AM
Had to leave. Even some of his own support were buying in to the weegie witch hunt.

heretoday
28-01-2023, 12:11 PM
Good club Watford. He should be ok.

AngloHibs
28-01-2023, 01:40 PM
I'm at Boro v Watford today. Porto isn't in the match day squad yet - shame. I'll get to see who he might be dislodging from the Watford team though.

CapitalGreen
28-01-2023, 05:16 PM
I'm at Boro v Watford today. Porto isn't in the match day squad yet - shame. I'll get to see who he might be dislodging from the Watford team though.

Watched the highlights of the Boro goals, on that showing Porteous will be starting their next game.

mayo hibee
31-01-2023, 08:05 PM
Watford have brought in another centre back, a Dutch international. The move will be good for his bank balance but I wonder how much Porteous will actually play there, Watford just seem to stockpile players.

Lancs Harp
01-02-2023, 05:02 PM
Interesting that Watford signed Dutch International defender Wesley Hoedt from Anderlecht (played for Southampton for a bit in his past) after signing Porto.