PDA

View Full Version : Ethan Laidlaw

truehibernian
25-01-2023, 06:01 PM
If KN goes, he has to be given a chance - Premiership clubs scouting him isn’t coincidence - for the love of god Lee, give this lad a real chance please 🙏

Benny Brazil
25-01-2023, 06:08 PM
Would love him to get a chance before the end of the season - but just hope that the fans expectations for Ethan are tempered a bit - he's not going to come in and replace Nisbet

Pretty Boy
25-01-2023, 06:11 PM
Huge pressure to put on a young lads shoulders. We have amassed 4 points since the turn of the year and that is largely down to the form of Nisbet. Without his goals we are in trouble. I remember similar pressure being heaped on Cummings last time we were in bother. He was scoring for fun in the 20s but it took him a long time to get going in the 1st team (16 games without a goal I think).

However we are where we are. We are clearly writing this season off in terms of looking upwards so we need someone to fire the goals in to get us the 6-9 points we need to avoid any play off worries. Some players thrive when thrown into bad situations, hopefully Laidlaw is one of them. He's a talented lad so if his mindset is right he could be the shot in the arm we need.

leith lynx
25-01-2023, 06:58 PM
Huge pressure to put on a young lads shoulders. We have amassed 4 points since the turn of the year and that is largely down to the form of Nisbet. Without his goals we are in trouble. I remember similar pressure being heaped on Cummings last time we were in bother. He was scoring for fun in the 20s but it took him a long time to get going in the 1st team (16 games without a goal I think).

However we are where we are. We are clearly writing this season off in terms of looking upwards so we need someone to fire the goals in to get us the 6-9 points we need to avoid any play off worries. Some players thrive when thrown into bad situations, hopefully Laidlaw is one of them. He's a talented lad so if his mindset is right he could be the shot in the arm we need.

I remember a young Kenny Miller being thrown in, in a similar situation, turned out not too bad for him..

Rick Rude
25-01-2023, 07:09 PM
I remember a young Kenny Miller being thrown in, in a similar situation, turned out not too bad for him..

Didn't it take him the best part of 2 seasons to get his first goal for us? He only really had one good season which was the year we came back up then he left.

oneone73
25-01-2023, 07:10 PM

Miller had Mixu and Lehmann to bring him along.

Hibee Daft
25-01-2023, 07:11 PM
Yeah get Laidlaw and O'connor contracts signed and give them a chance.

Hope they stick with us. Dont chase the money down south, play football with us develop and the money will chase them!

Gary O'Connor is a great example developed here got us a fee and left the right way. Mcginns another example.

greenlex
25-01-2023, 07:13 PM
We create more chances than anyone outside the ugly sisters. If they are goals scorers get them in. Age doesn’t matter. If Nisbet goes we could do worse than giving them a chance.

Waxy
25-01-2023, 07:20 PM
Has to be given a chance now.
If not what hope is there for any younger player here.

Leith Green
25-01-2023, 07:27 PM
Giving him a chance , doesn’t necessarily mean throwing him in at the deep end. He should be integrated into the first team squad and given chances to play.

The Modfather
25-01-2023, 07:37 PM
Giving him a chance , doesn’t necessarily mean throwing him in at the deep end. He should be integrated into the first team squad and given chances to play.

Agreed. If we don’t sign a replacement I think we need to use McKirdy as the replacement until Kukharevych is back, and hope a run of games centrally is the making of him. With Laidlaw & O’Connor getting 20 minutes odd from the bench regularly.

Although we’ll probably just stick Campbell up front instead of using our U19s.

Percy Vere
25-01-2023, 07:39 PM
Bigger teams than Hibs play 17-18 year olds
There should be three four young lads being introduced into first team squad and played regularly, get mins into their legs.
We have a crisis looming. Often youngsters play without fear.
No brainer!

leith lynx
25-01-2023, 07:46 PM
Bigger teams than Hibs play 17-18 year olds
There should be three four young lads being introduced into first team squad and played regularly, get mins into their legs.
We have a crisis looming. Often youngsters play without fear.
No brainer!

Aye but, do they he have the required football IQ and gravitas to make it?😊

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2023, 08:27 PM
We create more chances than anyone outside the ugly sisters. If they are goals scorers get them in. Age doesn’t matter. If Nisbet goes we could do worse than giving them a chance.

Do we though, i'm not seeing it?

cameronw-hfc
25-01-2023, 08:29 PM
Do we though, i'm not seeing it?

Yeah, we do. Not to be a wideo about it, but it's not really debatable either. XG table has us 3rd in the league, were just God awful at taking the chances.

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2023, 08:46 PM
Yeah, we do. Not to be a wideo about it, but it's not really debatable either. XG table has us 3rd in the league, were just God awful at taking the chances.

I dont believe these stats, i dont see us having all these great chances that we are missing.

SChibs
25-01-2023, 08:52 PM
I dont believe these stats, i dont see us having all these great chances that we are missing.

So somebody just made them up?

green day
25-01-2023, 08:53 PM

Aye, I agree - they are probably correct but stats don't tell the whole story, it's like when we have massive amounts of possession and do hee haw with it.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2023, 09:01 PM

I think there is an element of truth in both points.

xG isn't an exact science but there is a degree of merit in it's methodology albeit I wouldn't ever let it replace what I see with my own eyes. On the other side I do agree that when using my own eyes I don't see us creating a whole host of clear cut chances, the kind of chances that when you miss them they are sitters. I rarely see us hitting the goal line and cutting the ball back to players in the 6 yard box (when we do it this season we quite often score. V Hearts, v Rangers, v Motherwell.....) or slicing defences open with through balls to give strikers a one on one. A lot of the 'chances' we create are what I suppose used to be called half chances. Balls bobbling about in the box, scuffed shots under pressure, players (or rather a player) beating a man then going back to try and beat him 3 more times and ending up surrounded and shooting from an impossible angle, corners that result in half clearances etc.

When you have a very good, natural and instinctive striker like Nisbet you will put a lot of those half chances away and you can say 'well we create a lot do chances that just need putting away'. When you don't have that type of striker then you struggle for goals, we have all witnessed that first hand this season.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2023, 09:04 PM

I think it's more that xG is flawed. It's the same as pass completion, distance covered or even possession stats. It only tells part of the story.

Stats can tell you almost anything you want them to and it's one of the fundemental flaws in trying to reduce football to figures on a spreadsheet. It has it's place but it has to be accompanied by a bit of trust in what you are watching and natural instinct as well.

CapitalGreen
25-01-2023, 09:05 PM
We have the 3rd highest xG because we have taken the 3rd highest number of shots by far. Our xG isn’t a reflection of us creating high quality chances, it reflects us creating low quality chances in high volume.

Shots taken
Hibs 355
Aberdeen 269
Hearts 268

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2023, 09:06 PM

I trust my eyes over someone behind a laptop.

Alfred E Newman
25-01-2023, 09:12 PM
We have the 3rd highest xG because we have taken the 3rd highest number of shots by far. Our xG isn’t a reflection of us creating high quality chances, it reflects us creating low quality chances in high volume.

Shots taken
Hibs 355
Aberdeen 269
Hearts 268

Does the 355 include Youan’s bicycle kick against Dundee Utd that almost cleared the roof of the Famous Five?

Forza Fred
25-01-2023, 09:21 PM

63 % of stats are just made up

leithsansiro
25-01-2023, 09:57 PM
A word of caution...if (and it's a big if) any of the young guys like Laidlaw are suddenly in a position of having to step up to regular first team football to try to dig us out of this mess, we need to be patient with them if it doesn't go smoothly.

truehibernian
25-01-2023, 10:03 PM
A word of caution...if (and it's a big if) any of the young guys like Laidlaw are suddenly in a position of having to step up to regular first team football to try to dig us out of this mess, we need to be patient with them if it doesn't go smoothly.

Liverpool and Villa want him - no caution required - play him !!

leithsansiro
25-01-2023, 10:11 PM
Liverpool and Villa want him - no caution required - play him !!

Absolutely. The caution I was meaning was about our need as fans to be more patient with young players and not take our frustration at our shocking situation out on them.

CL0762
26-01-2023, 08:33 AM
Does the 355 include Youan’s bicycle kick against Dundee Utd that almost cleared the roof of the Famous Five?

It will. And the xG on it will be low because very few of those types of chances end up as goals.

Magennis hitting the bar in the same game as well.

Since452
26-01-2023, 11:18 AM
I'm quite excited about Laidlaw. Laddie knows where the goal is.

SChibs
26-01-2023, 11:40 AM

In that case have you watched all of every other teams games to compare Hibs chances with them?

Leith Green
26-01-2023, 12:01 PM
We do meed to start trusting some of our younger home grown players, instead of signing the old firms scraps or some laddie on loan from the EFL … Too much money spent on the academy not to use it more effectively

eastmainsmsh
26-01-2023, 12:16 PM
Got to give lad a chance and JOC as well likes of Melkerson Bojang all had a crack imo have stopped Laidlaw and JOC progressing what’s point of spending money on other clubs youngsters when we have better

blackpoolhibs
26-01-2023, 12:24 PM
In that case have you watched all of every other teams games to compare Hibs chances with them?

No, but i have seen us every game, not often have i come away thinking we've missed lots of chances we should have scored, yes the odd time, but there's not a chance in hell we should be scoring lots of goals every week.

Now other teams, i have no idea really how they are doing bar the odd highlights reel, but we are where we are in the league because of how we play and the results we get.

If there is a league for games we should have won, and goals we should have scored, i've not yet seen it, or seen who the champions are.

Was there an open top bus parade?

MikeyS
26-01-2023, 12:30 PM
No, but i have seen us every game, not often have i come away thinking we've missed lots of chances we should have scored, yes the odd time, but there's not a chance in hell we should be

If there is a league for games we should have won, and goals we should have scored, i've not yet seen it, or seen who the champions are.

Was there an open top bus parade?

🤣 you missed a good one mate, there was a virtual bus parade down a virtual Leith Walk on the Sims game platform. The e-beers where flowing! Glory Glory to the xG's!

KWJ
26-01-2023, 12:37 PM

Shots taken
Hibs 355
Aberdeen 269
Hearts 268

As said in a post on the xG thread, this isn't right. If we'd taken 355 shots from the half way line then the xG would reflect that our expected goals would be about 0-1.

What it doesn't do is take into account if the person getting a good chance that's say 0.5xGs worth is Kevin Nisbet or Lewis Stevenson. Kevin will score that more often than not and Lewis won't. We've not had our good chances falling to guys that are likely to take them. Why that is is worthy of debate but a mixture of injury, bad fortune, poor recruitment and lack of confidence.

The chance that jumps out to me is Bojang's at Livingston but there will be plenty others.

Also, I think some places calculate their xG in different ways but it's generally done by quality of chance.

silverhibee
26-01-2023, 12:40 PM

Agree, and I think this will happen, it will be a tough sell to get players into the club, a quick Google by any player and they will be like “f*** that” sinking ship, give the young lads a try rather than wasting money on crappy loan deals and see how it goes, Mr IQ will be against it tough and ramble nonsense in his press release tomorrow how we will be stronger without “Nizzy & Ports” and Geads Newy Jeggo and Kirds will have to step up, why do I detest LJ so much. :greengrin

silverhibee
26-01-2023, 12:42 PM

I hope your posting from your phone :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
26-01-2023, 02:47 PM
I hope your posting from your phone :thumbsup:

To be fair, i wouldnt trust my eyes today, just had an afternoon sesh by the pool in Tenerife. :party:

JasonC1875
26-01-2023, 04:06 PM
Agreed. If we don’t sign a replacement I think we need to use McKirdy as the replacement until Kukharevych is back, and hope a run of games centrally is the making of him. With Laidlaw & O’Connor getting 20 minutes odd from the bench regularly.

Although we’ll probably just stick Campbell up front instead of using our U19s.
This! Think a lot of people are forgetting about Kukharevych

B.H.F.C
26-01-2023, 04:09 PM
This! Think a lot of people are forgetting about Kukharevych

Johnson said he might get back for the last 5 or 6 games at best.

HIBS NUTS
26-01-2023, 04:24 PM
I'm quite excited about Laidlaw. Laddie knows where the goal is.

He’s decent, but just turned 18, he needs eased in.
not started.

erin go bragh
26-01-2023, 04:34 PM
McKirdy has to be giving a chance now and once he gets that goal, we will see a different player but yes get Ethan on for the last 25 mins to ease him in as it’s a big jump from the level he has been playing.

AgentDaleCooper
26-01-2023, 05:48 PM
Yeah get Laidlaw and O'connor contracts signed and give them a chance.

Hope they stick with us. Dont chase the money down south, play football with us develop and the money will chase them!

Gary O'Connor is a great example developed here got us a fee and left the right way. Mcginns another example.

Gaz had Mixu and Brewster to learn from. Laidlaw and O'Connor Jnr. won't even have Chris Doidge.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-01-2023, 06:35 PM

62.07% of stats are made up on the spot.

#2 Double Tap
27-01-2023, 09:16 AM
62.07% of stats are made up on the spot.

Sure I read somewhere they discovered that in 1973?

Greenworld
27-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Do laidlaw and oconner play together ie both up front if they do I would play them both together then you have an instant understanding

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stevie Reid
27-01-2023, 10:50 AM
Didn't it take him the best part of 2 seasons to get his first goal for us? He only really had one good season which was the year we came back up then he left.

Miller was thrown in by Duffy as a 17 year old, in sheer desperation shortly before he was sacked - made seven appearances and didn't score, think most if not all, from the bench.

Got some game time in the league cup at the start of the next season when we were in the First Division, before having a successful loan spell at Stenhousemuir. Scored his first goal on his 15th appearance, when he was 19 - there were 18 months between his first appearance and his first goal, but he certainly wasn't starting for us in all that time.

Probably right to temper expectations with Laidlaw though, think Cummings didn't score until his 17th game, when he was 18.

bingo70
27-01-2023, 11:10 AM
Miller was thrown in by Duffy as a 17 year old, in sheer desperation shortly before he was sacked - made seven appearances and didn't score, think most if not all, from the bench.

Got some game time in the league cup at the start of the next season when we were in the First Division, before having a successful loan spell at Stenhousemuir. Scored his first goal on his 15th appearance, when he was 19 - there were 18 months between his first appearance and his first goal, but he certainly wasn't starting for us in all that time.

Probably right to temper expectations with Laidlaw though, think Cummings didn't score until his 17th game, when he was 18.

Sorry if covered earlier on the thread but was it not about this age against Aberdeen Scott Brown was thrown in? I remember being really excited by him in that game, his enthusiasm and tenacity caused them no end of problems. Think it was maybe only as a second half sub he came on but it was clear he had something about him.

Not sure if that was his debut or not?

Keyser Sauzee
27-01-2023, 11:50 AM
Sorry if covered earlier on the thread but was it not about this age against Aberdeen Scott Brown was thrown in? I remember being really excited by him in that game, his enthusiasm and tenacity caused them no end of problems. Think it was maybe only as a second half sub he came on but it was clear he had something about him.

Not sure if that was his debut or not?

Yep, second half sub came on right midfield and gave the full back a hard time of it.

CapitalGreen
27-01-2023, 12:00 PM
Yep, second half sub came on right midfield and gave the full back a hard time of it.

Came on after half an hour and played up front 🤓

bingo70
27-01-2023, 12:03 PM
Came on after half an hour and played up front 🤓

Are you sure?

I sat in the old east and remember a powerful run down the right, tbink it maybe lead tk a goal and that’s why I remember it.

Every chance my memory is playing tricks on me though.

CapitalGreen
27-01-2023, 12:09 PM
Are you sure?

I sat in the old east and remember a powerful run down the right, tbink it maybe lead tk a goal and that’s why I remember it.

Every chance my memory is playing tricks on me though.

We were playing 5-3-2 so no right midfield position to play, he replaced Gary O’Connor. Nothing to stop a striker picking up the ball in wide positions, especially when in a front 2.

bingo70
27-01-2023, 12:10 PM
We were playing 5-3-2 so no right midfield position to play, he replaced Gary O’Connor. Nothing to stop a striker picking up the ball in wide positions, especially when in a front 2.

****in hell, that’s some memory to remember our formation that day. Well played 😂