PDA

View Full Version : Martindale having a wee go at his players :-)

sleeping giant
23-01-2023, 01:21 PM
https://twitter.com/fitbaculture/status/1617228124093304832?t=qz_1DkyuWCYW62gl9RZLMQ&s=19

sleeping giant
23-01-2023, 01:23 PM
Not sure how to fix that link

Allant1981
23-01-2023, 01:47 PM
That was a proper rollicking!!

23-01-2023, 01:56 PM
Arguably it worked.

https://i.ibb.co/g61d3Vz/Screenshot-20230123-145521-Chrome.jpg (https://ibb.co/fQR92v4)

Arch Stanton
23-01-2023, 02:04 PM
Not sure how to fix that link

https://twitter.com/fitbaculture/status/1617228124093304832?t=qz_1DkyuWCYW62gl9RZLMQ&s=19

MWHIBBIES
23-01-2023, 02:08 PM
What an absolute welt.

CMac1988
23-01-2023, 02:10 PM
Seen that yesterday. Came back out and scored 3. There's a balcne to everything but he has his side punching above their weight and has done for some time. Must be doing something right.

hibee-boys
23-01-2023, 02:10 PM
Some very sensitive types on twitter, old school rocket up the axxx, don’t see anything wrong with it. I’d not want him at Hibs but you can’t fault the guys passion and he’s got Livvy punching well above their weight.

B.H.F.C
23-01-2023, 02:14 PM
Some very sensitive types on twitter, old school rocket up the axxx, don’t see anything wrong with it. I’d not want him at Hibs but you can’t fault the guys passion and he’s got Livvy punching well above their weight.

This for me. His players reacted to it in the way you’d want and show the desired attitude week in, week out so it doesn’t seem to upset them.

KWJ
23-01-2023, 02:34 PM
Guessing it's not a brave player that's recorded it with giggles but perhaps Stenny staff at the door.

There's a time and a place for a rollocking but it can only be brought out so many times, less so the higher you go in the game.

23-01-2023, 02:35 PM
Not so much the hairdryer treatment, more the wind tunnel treatment.

Since452
23-01-2023, 02:40 PM
****bag. Should still be in jail.

wookie70
23-01-2023, 02:49 PM
Gary Naismith said he could hear Martindale's team talk in the Stennie dressing room. I photographed the game and Livi were like two different teams. After half time they completely controlled the game and won very easily. In the first half there wasn't much between the teams and it was played like a training game with Stennie dropping off and Livi playing it about without purpose, like a Maloney team. Barring the Stennie goal pretty much nothing happened in the first half. Livi played pretty well in the second half. No idea if the audio is real on the twitter page but the Livi players deserved the hairdryer at half time and I suspect even modern day players will react in the right way if teh manager is justified in his comments. He was and they did.

ErinGoBraghHFC
23-01-2023, 02:56 PM
****bag. Should still be in jail.

Behave, guys served his time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chip shop Joe
23-01-2023, 03:05 PM
This for me. His players reacted to it in the way you’d want and show the desired attitude week in, week out so it doesn’t seem to upset them.

Exactly this. It is up to a manager to get the best out of his team. He obviously knew that he had strong characters who could take it and respond.

Unseen work
23-01-2023, 04:15 PM
I like it.

If we were losing 1-0 to Stenhousemuir fans would be hoping the manager reacted like that at half time

MWHIBBIES
23-01-2023, 05:36 PM
I like it.

If we were losing 1-0 to Stenhousemuir fans would be hoping the manager reacted like that at half time

By screaming in guys faces? Absolutely not. I'd just get up and go home if my manager spoke to me like that.

Hibby Bairn
23-01-2023, 05:39 PM
By screaming in guys faces? Absolutely not. I'd just get up and go home if my manager spoke to me like that.

🙃

cabbageandribs1875
23-01-2023, 05:39 PM
i've now taken Martindale off of my 'dark horse list' for next Hibernian manager after hearing that

no thanks

funny hearing the giggles though :greengrin

Unseen work
23-01-2023, 05:40 PM

You don’t know it’s in their faces.

I’d imagine most players that have played football at a decent level will have had a half time “talk “ like that.

They deserve and got a bollocking.

Fans can give players abuse, boo them, write all sorts on Twitter but when the manager tells them some home truths it’s unacceptable? Mental

MWHIBBIES
23-01-2023, 05:42 PM

I’d imagine most players that have played football at a decent level will have had a half time “talk “ like that.

Fans can give players abuse, boo them, write all sorts on Twitter but when the manager tells them some home truths it’s unacceptable? Mental

The best managers don't need to go this far. Literally roaring at the top of his voice. Home truths can be spoken to someone. It's embarrassing behaviour really.

Credit to the livi lads for not hitting the prick.

Hibby Bairn
23-01-2023, 05:43 PM
the best managers don't need to go this far. Literally roaring at the top of his voice. Home truths can be spoken to someone. It's embarrassing behaviour really.

wtf 😂

Pretty Boy
23-01-2023, 05:44 PM
I suppose good man management is knowing what will work at any given time.

Act like that day in, day out and you'll become a figure of fun; if not to your face then almost certainly behind your back. Alternatively you'll have guys scared off their own shadow and terrified to try anything.

Whatever Martindale is doing at Livi is working. If he's pulled this out the bag as a one off to get a reaction then it's worked.

I seen a video of Arteta the other day and he was shouting and swearing at their players, he called them '****ing s**t', kicked a kit hamper and stormed out. I daresay it's working at Arsenal as well.

I'd add the video but family friendly and all that. It's on YouTube if you search Arteta team talk.

MWHIBBIES
23-01-2023, 05:45 PM
wtf 😂

If you have nothing to add except emojis, go away.

Silky
23-01-2023, 05:45 PM

Yeah. I don't see anything wrong with it. Too many softies in the game now. Nothing wrong with giving players a roasting if deserved. Worked for Fergie at Man U. Clearly worked for Livi as well

MWHIBBIES
23-01-2023, 05:47 PM
I suppose good man management is knowing what will work at any given time.

Act like that day in, day out and you'll become a figure of fun; if not to your face then almost certainly behind your back. Alternatively you'll have guys scared off their own shadow and terrified to try anything.

Whatever Martindale is doing at Livi is working. If he's pulled this out the bag as a one off to get a reaction then it's worked.

I seem a video of Arteta the other day and he was shouting and swearing at their players, he called them '****ing s**t', kicked a kit hamper and stormed out. I daresay it's working at Arsenal as well.

The Arteta video was nothing like this, though. Martindale is literally roaring at them.

It's worked on this occasion sure, probably because the players know the club would bin every one of them before him, but doing this at a big club would be the end of most managers I imagine.

Unseen work
23-01-2023, 06:00 PM
The best managers don't need to go this far. Literally roaring at the top of his voice. Home truths can be spoken to someone. It's embarrassing behaviour really.

You don’t think Ferguson, Mourinho, Pep, Klopp etc would be going mental?

They may use slightly different words but the point is the same

What does he actually say to them?

From what I can make out

“If you’re doing it, do it”

“I **** told you, do it quick”

“Get your finger out”

Lennon would have been far worse than that.

I want us to have players that get that treatment from a manager and think you know what he’s right or a “I’ll show you” attitude.

I wouldn’t want any player to hear that and think I’m leaving.

Unseen work
23-01-2023, 06:01 PM
The Arteta video was nothing like this, though. Martindale is literally roaring at them.

It's worked on this occasion sure, probably because the players know the club would bin every one of them before him, but doing this at a big club would be the end of most managers I imagine.

The end of most managers?! 😂

MWHIBBIES
23-01-2023, 06:10 PM
You don’t think Ferguson, Mourinho, Pep, Klopp etc would be going mental?

They may use slightly different words but the point is the same

What does he actually say to them?

From what I can make out

“If you’re doing it, do it”

“I **** told you, do it quick”

“Get your finger out”

Lennon would have been far worse than that.

I want us to have players that get that treatment from a manager and think you know what he’s right or a “I’ll show you” attitude.

I wouldn’t want any player to hear that and think I’m leaving.

Those managers win because they're tactically better. Yes, they probably get stuck into their players occasionally, but ****ing roaring at them like this? That's not how you get respect imo.

What Martindale did worked on this occasion. Sure. Well done to him. Can't imagine it will continue to work very often.

Lennon not the best example really. When his tactics fail, which they always do eventually, he has a meltdown and starts blaming and shouting at everyone. He then gets sacked.

Sioux
23-01-2023, 06:16 PM

Clueless
:faf::faf::faf:

HarpOnHibee
23-01-2023, 06:22 PM
Not the hero we want, but the one we need?

allmodcons
23-01-2023, 06:25 PM
i've now taken Martindale off of my 'dark horse list' for next Hibernian manager after hearing that

no thanks

funny hearing the giggles though :greengrin

Same. Just embarrassing.

j'adorehibs
23-01-2023, 06:26 PM

how do you know? you privvy to every dressing room?

id imagine this is more common than you think

get a backbone

greatest manager ever or certainly up there Sir Alex Ferguson

Allant1981
23-01-2023, 06:28 PM

get a backbone

Happens at most levels in football, can tell folk who have never played at any level in football with some of their posts.

Tyler Durden
23-01-2023, 06:28 PM

It’s pretty similar. Arteta regularly screams and swears. He also talks to them calmly most of the time. Martindale is probably similar as are many managers

Not that big a deal that the coach screams at them at times. The players will do the same to each other you’d hope.

Good management IMO

Donegal Hibby
23-01-2023, 06:31 PM
Horrible individual with a serious nasty past and hopefully never gets near our football club

HarpOnHibee
23-01-2023, 06:35 PM
Horrible individual with a serious nasty past and hopefully never gets near our football club

We are the nice club after all. Only accepting people who have never made any mistakes or gone off the rails in their life. No wonder teams love coming here.

degenerated
23-01-2023, 06:39 PM
It’s pretty similar. Arteta regularly screams and swears. He also talks to them calmly most of the time. Martindale is probably similar as are many managers

Not that big a deal that the coach screams at them at times. The players will do the same to each other you’d hope.

Good management IMODidn't work for Mike Bassett :greengrin

https://youtu.be/ylftUmF-GSw

Or John Sitton

https://youtu.be/XVj45yN72uU

B.H.F.C
23-01-2023, 06:39 PM

Good management IMO

Given they went out and scored three goals in the 15 minutes it’s hard to argue that it had anything other than a positive impact on them.

Hibby Bairn
23-01-2023, 06:50 PM
If you have nothing to add except emojis, go away.

"Go away"...c'mon mate. Get a grip.

I can tell you that Martindale has a brilliant relationship with his players with mutual respect and a fantastic team ethos.

I'm not sure if what he has at Livi would transfer into Hibs but we definitely need his will to win.

FWIW I'd love to see him at Easter Road.

Donegal Hibby
23-01-2023, 06:56 PM
We are the nice club after all. Only accepting people who have never made any mistakes or gone off the rails in their life. No wonder teams love coming here.
Lots of people go off the rails in life though few become drug- dealers selling s**t that kills people and destroys families , even the way he passed to become a manager was from help of a very shady character . As someone that's totally anti - drugs I wouldn't want him ever to get any role whatsoever at Hibs

Lendo
23-01-2023, 07:04 PM
I hope it’s not the same people saying that this is out of order that are wanting Lennon back as manager. I suspect Lennon makes Martindale look like a kitten in the dressing room

MWHIBBIES
23-01-2023, 07:25 PM

get a backbone

greatest manager ever or certainly up there Sir Alex Ferguson

Getting roared at by your manager is your idea of a backbone

:faf:

lyonhibs
23-01-2023, 07:31 PM

You'll not have heard of Sir Alex Ferguson then?

Unseen work
23-01-2023, 07:33 PM
Hope Goodwin speaks to his players nicely at half time.

Losing 1-0 to Darvel at half time

Sylar
23-01-2023, 07:35 PM

Or Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancelotti, Conte...even the ever placid Arsene Wenger was known to go ballistic at his players when the need arose.

MWHIBBIES
23-01-2023, 07:35 PM

Heard of him yes. Think his success was more based on world class signings, world class coaches and his world class managerial ability. I cannot imagine he ****ing roared at his players THAT often.

Again, I've already said this worked for Martindale so fair play. Absolute last thing I'd want at Hibs. Football is moving away from hoofball dinosaurs like him.

MWHIBBIES
23-01-2023, 07:36 PM
Hope Goodwin speaks to his players nicely at half time.

Losing 1-0 to Darvel at half time

Another poor manager who has never won anything. Imagine mentioning them in the same thread as Ferguson and Mourinho.

Sylar
23-01-2023, 07:39 PM
"You've got to ****ing die to get three points!" :greengrin

jazzy7070
23-01-2023, 08:05 PM
Can’t believe people are actually moaning about his management style ffs😂that’s exactly how I’d want my football teams manager to be.I like the guy🙌

Tambo
23-01-2023, 09:44 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this bar the accent 😁

His team was 1-0 down to lower league and came back 3-1 so I'm sure he would have been praising the players aswell atfull time or today in training.

I'm Spartacus
23-01-2023, 09:48 PM
FFS folk complaining about him, this is EXACTLY what we need at Easter Road, but all the soft touches don't like how he sounds, don't like that he's been in jail (served his time BTW and developed himself), and don't like that he can fire a rocket up his teams hoop when required.

Martindale takes zero ****. Get him in.

WeeRussell
23-01-2023, 11:14 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this bar the accent 😁

His team was 1-0 down to lower league and came back 3-1 so I'm sure he would have been praising the players aswell atfull time or today in training.

Yep. Shock horror manager raises voice. Thread will now be twice the size it needed to be due to pointless arguing and not backing down until everyone else is bored.

ErinGoBraghHFC
23-01-2023, 11:32 PM

Know him personally DH? Because I do, he’s a nice guy. He’s made mistakes in life and I’m not disputing that, but he’s served his time and there’s no need to keep him nailed to the cross. Besides, we’ve plenty current and ex employees that aren’t whiter than white (pun intended) themselves

Donegal Hibby
24-01-2023, 12:42 AM
Know him personally DH? Because I do, he’s a nice guy. He’s made mistakes in life and I’m not disputing that, but he’s served his time and there’s no need to keep him nailed to the cross. Besides, we’ve plenty current and ex employees that aren’t whiter than white (pun intended) themselves

No I don't know him and to be honest with you i wouldn't want too either and as far as him being a nice guy ? , nice guys don't get involved in drug dealing , I made mistake's in my life also, as everyone else has but most decent people have never felt the need to sell drugs , truth be told I care to much for my fellow man or woman to do so ! Of course he's served his time though I wonder if a family is still serving time due to losing a family member? ( Sad & frightening thought that ) . One time when I was out I got a doing from a group of lads 15 , 16ish over here that jumped me and took to kicking my stomach when that didn't work they decided to concentrate on my head ! If it hadn't been for a passing taxi driver I don't know if I'd have survived . One of the lads was a wee boy me and my girlfriend at the time use to baby sit, I later found out that he was taken drugs and fallen in with a bad group . I'm sorry but anyone dealing in drugs id keep nailed to the cross . If martindale ever becomes Hibs manager that's the day I stop being a hibby till he's gone . Sorry mate but that's were I'm at with this .

Sean1875
24-01-2023, 12:54 AM
If we were 1-0 down to Stenhousmuir at half time that’s exactly what I’d want our manager to be doing in the dressing room. Can’t believe folk have a problem with this.

neil7908
24-01-2023, 06:12 AM

I'm with you 100% on this. Have we not learned from Terry Butcher? He was an old school bully and look where that got us.

lyonhibs
24-01-2023, 06:34 AM
Heard of him yes. Think his success was more based on world class signings, world class coaches and his world class managerial ability. I cannot imagine he ****ing roared at his players THAT often.

Again, I've already said this worked for Martindale so fair play. Absolute last thing I'd want at Hibs. Football is moving away from hoofball dinosaurs like him.

Often/ferociously enough that it got its own term. I have no idea how often Martindale does it either, do you?

If you've cast a glance at the league table lately, you'll realise that the "hoofball dinosaur" is doing decidedly better than whatever insipid watery squitters of a "style" of football LJ is serving up. Not saying I necessarily want him at Hibs, but he's doing a great job at Livi, half time bollockings included.

Nutmegged
24-01-2023, 07:15 AM

If you think the best managere don't go this far I think you're badly mistaken, there will be guys who just don't as it's not in their nature like Arsene Wenger but they're in a minority, modern managers won't stand on the touchline ranting and raving for 90 minutes but when they feel like their team are badly letting their club down they will give rhem the hairdryer, Pep, Klopp, Jose, Arteta, Conte, all guys who're well renowned for having a go when the time suits.

Even looking up here, Ange Postecoglue isn't shy to have a go at his players, Lennon did it, Walter Smith did it, Gerrard was known for it as was Martin O'Neill and Dick Advocaat.

McInnes and Neilsen are dressing room screamers, if you don't think this is extremely common in football I think you're living a very sheltered life, whether you agree with it or not is entirely different but Martindale isn't unique in this, it's passion and frustration mixed together.

Smartie
24-01-2023, 07:27 AM
"Go away"...c'mon mate. Get a grip.

I can tell you that Martindale has a brilliant relationship with his players with mutual respect and a fantastic team ethos.

I'm not sure if what he has at Livi would transfer into Hibs but we definitely need his will to win.

FWIW I'd love to see him at Easter Road.

If his players hadn’t gone out and won the tie in the second half then fair enough, criticise the man.

But he got a reaction from the players and in general the players always look like they play for him.

Knowing when to be a best pal and knowing when to bollock the players is a skill.

And professional sport is a different environment to a normal workplace. Not sure I’d respond very well to that but I’m not a high performance athlete. Not having to take that off anyone was one of the reasons I became my own boss and there is no situation I can imagine that I’d need to resort to that, but I certainly wouldn’t be critical of a successful football manager doing what he needs to do to get his players to perform better.

.Sean.
24-01-2023, 08:04 AM
If that was Liverpool 1 nil down at halftime to say Wycombe and Klopp went through his players like that folk would be praising him but cause it’s Martindale there’s an issue. Complete snobbery. I don’t particularly like him but I’d have had him in our dressing room on Sunday at half time. He’d no be shy in telling Cabraja to stop being a complete and utter *****bag when it comes to 50 50s anyway

Danderhall Hibs
24-01-2023, 08:13 AM
Born winner

Pretty Boy
24-01-2023, 08:38 AM
If that was Liverpool 1 nil down at halftime to say Wycombe and Klopp went through his players like that folk would be praising him but cause it’s Martindale there’s an issue. Complete snobbery. I don’t particularly like him but I’d have had him in our dressing room on Sunday at half time. He’d no be shy in telling Cabraja to stop being a complete and utter *****bag when it comes to 50 50s anyway

As I said earlier in the thread it's one of those things that doesn't work if you do it all the time. I daresay most of us have had a boss who is a ranter and raver and they rarely get any respect. In my experience you have folk doing impressions of them behind their back and barely suppressing laughter when they go off on one. The really nasty bullies might just succeed in having a few people scared to do anything and everyone else silently resenting them.

As a one off though it can be effective, as it was for Martindale on Saturday. Alex Ferguson wasn't going around raging at people all the time, certainly in his latter years as a manager, but when he broke out the hairdryer you can be sure the players knew it was for good reason. I think it was Andy Robertson who said people shouldn't be fooled by the cuddly Klopp persona seen publicly and he could be ferocious when he felt standards weren't being met. I've played at a decent if not exceptional level and seen managers who were on the face of it 'really nice guys' absolutely lose their heads and be almost physically battering players. It wasn't a tactic used often, it was effective though and whilst players maybe didn't like them, they respected them. I would argue the secret is to be just as effusive with praise on occasion and make your players feel 10 foot tall. There's no fun to be had recording that though. Looking at Martindale he certainly seems to have a group playing for him. Someone like Butcher was just a bully and his public humiliation of guys like Ross Caldwell and Alex Harris was a disgrace, assuming this was a one off for Martindale it's not even in the same ballpark.

leith lynx
24-01-2023, 09:27 AM

❄️❄️❄️❄️

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2023, 09:29 AM

The hair dryer treatment is known around the world as one of Fergie s traits, I don't imagine he only did it once or twice.

j'adorehibs
24-01-2023, 09:37 AM
Getting roared at by your manager is your idea of a backbone

:faf:

of all the posters here you truly amaze me

you honestly think footballers cant handle a manager having a pop, happens at all levels and im sure the players have no issues, unless of course your playing

vuefrom1875
24-01-2023, 09:46 AM
Born winner

Born trafficker.

MWHIBBIES
24-01-2023, 09:55 AM
of all the posters here you truly amaze me

you honestly think footballers cant handle a manager having a pop, happens at all levels and im sure the players have no issues, unless of course your playing

I didn't say footballers couldn't handle it.

MWHIBBIES
24-01-2023, 09:56 AM
❄️❄️❄️❄️

Lol. Rather be a snowflake than a neanderthal.

j'adorehibs
24-01-2023, 10:07 AM
I didn't say footballers couldn't handle it.

you said if you were a footballer you would be up and left so that suggests that is the case. else why make the point that he is a welt or whatever it is you called him for doing it...he effectively managed the situation, his team went out and won and i dont hear of any player resignations .
they took io on the chin, rolled their sleeves up and did the business required. you on the other hand would be away sulking to your soccer mom.

leith lynx
24-01-2023, 10:15 AM
Lol. Rather be a snowflake than a neanderthal.

Unfortunately real life is not all Kismet and Carousels, but good luck though!

I'm Spartacus
24-01-2023, 10:18 AM
Many folk on here would be in that dressing room composing a letter to their HR Team complaining about how they have been spoken too.

Sums us up, no hunger, no drive, no passion. How many times have you absolutely wanted to rip into the team and tell them some home truths? Never? Then don't come back IMO, football isn't for you.

Oscar T Grouch
24-01-2023, 10:18 AM

Literally the best manager that has ever been was known for this 'hairdryer' treatment of players and much worse. You don't think Klopp has done this in recent weeks? There is literally proof of managers doing this every week. Have you watched the Arsenal program All or Nothing? Arteta lost it at his players post match, at least Martindale got the result after his rant at half time. In football there is sometimes a call to be vocal and ensure the players know your feelings. Also there is some irony in your post given you object to the verbals Martindale gave out and would have walked out if your manager had done it to you, but then credit the players for not assaulting their manager :confused:

I'm Spartacus
24-01-2023, 10:27 AM
Literally the best manager that has ever been was known for this 'hairdryer' treatment of players and much worse. You don't think Klopp has done this in recent weeks? There is literally proof of managers doing this every week. Have you watched the Arsenal program All or Nothing? Arteta lost it at his players post match, at least Martindale got the result after his rant at half time. In football there is sometimes a call to be vocal and ensure the players know your feelings. Also there is some irony in your post given you object to the verbals Martindale gave out and would have walked out if your manager had done it to you, but then credit the players for not assaulting their manager :confused:

And see the next time they are slacking like this, I bet it doesn't even get to HT for the mindset to change.

Meanwhile we're fully behind the mental wellbeing of our players after the recent 2 x 3-0 pathetic defeats, to hell with the mental wellbeing of our supporters who are suffering this each week, next we will be issuing guidance to ensure people don't boo the players because it might hurt their feelings.

HibSem
24-01-2023, 11:07 AM
He's Yugi Hughes with a whiny nasal accent.

snedzuk
24-01-2023, 11:13 AM
Wonder what Martindale said to them at full time.

Jones28
24-01-2023, 11:18 AM
He's Yugi Hughes with a whiny nasal accent.

I think that very disrespectful to Yogi tbh!

MWHIBBIES
24-01-2023, 11:29 AM
you said if you were a footballer you would be up and left so that suggests that is the case. else why make the point that he is a welt or whatever it is you called him for doing it...he effectively managed the situation, his team went out and won and i dont hear of any player resignations .
they took io on the chin, rolled their sleeves up and did the business required. you on the other hand would be away sulking to your soccer mom.

Nothing to do with sulking. Why would anyone be roared at like this over their job? No thanks.

1970s nonsense. World has evolved. Sooner football does the better

I'm Spartacus
24-01-2023, 11:35 AM
Are we now seeing the generation of kids who used to threaten their parents with phoning Esther Rantzen and their parents would **** themselves, now all living as fully grown adults?

j'adorehibs
24-01-2023, 11:40 AM
Nothing to do with sulking. Why would anyone be roared at like this over their job? No thanks.

you may see this as being roared at, players may well find it motivating and whats required. horses for courses.

yes it wouldn't work in an office environment or what have you, but grown men in a changing room ...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9SHlXcvaWQ

wookie70
24-01-2023, 11:40 AM
Some of the things he was saying were obviously the game plan and were being completely ignored by the players. They were basically disrespecting his plan and him by playing at such a slow tempo. He was asserting his authority and the players responded. If he misjudged it then they would have continued to do the same. They didn't they completely changed their attitude and played at a pace and purpose that Stennie couldn't cope with.

I heard an interesting story at the game that one of the guys they signed had came as a trialist a couple of years back. He did a session or two and was told he wasn't good enough but he had qualities that could be developed. He was told to go away and work on his game and come back at a later point. The player was so impressed he did so and the next trial he got his contract and is now on their books. I took that the player believed Martindale would be true to his word and he trusted him.

I like Martindale, I like that he is honest and uses straight forward language. I couldn't give a flying about the way he speaks it is the language he uses that I like. He will call a player's performance out after games but it isn't done in a way that Lennon did it. He basically sates what has happened and I am sure the players will respond to that honesty. He also makes sure he publicly praises players when they have had a good game.

I can't say I would want my manager shouting at me in the office. But then part of my job isn't physically intimidating an opposition worker. When I played football, albeit Sunday League, there were a number of heated exchanges. They usually had a positive effect. Football is a very emotive game and some tactics are used that are pretty ugly. It is completely different to most jobs. I wonder if Martindale has had players making complaints to their Union Rep on the treatment they have received. By all accounts our softly spoken, wordy manager has had a complaint against him by a young player who has now been released and we have another fairly public example of a poor relationship with Kenneh. Give me an honest boss who will look me in the eye and allow some proper heart on sleeve discussions any day over a smiling assassin

leith lynx
24-01-2023, 12:07 PM
Are we now seeing the generation of kids who used to threaten their parents with phoning Esther Rantzen and their parents would **** themselves, now all living as fully grown adults?

Looks like it!

Since452
24-01-2023, 12:21 PM
I do find the hair dryer treatment a bit embarrassing in this day and age. I understand that it happens in football but why is it accepted in football and nowhere else? If my boss went tonto at me like that he'd be getting his P45 or at the very least a referral to an anger management counsellor. It's like football and the real world exist in parallel universes.

lyonhibs
24-01-2023, 12:25 PM

Don't worry, your work isn't going to announce that Martindale is your new boss anytime soon 😅

Smartie
24-01-2023, 12:28 PM
I do find the hair dryer treatment a bit embarrassing in this day and age. I understand that it happens in football but why is it accepted in football and nowhere else? If my boss went tonto at me like that he'd be getting his P45 or at the very least a referral to an anger management counsellor. It's like football and the real world exist in parallel universes.

I don't think it should be the go to choice for any manager but do you not think the ends justify the means here? His team had been pish and were looking like going out to a team several leagues below them. He gave them a rollicking and they turned it around.

"If my auntie had baws" and all that but do you think they turn around their afternoon if Martingale goes in at half time, sits them down and has a lovely chat about what they've done wrong, the way I might do with my 4 year old daughter? I think the fact that they turned the game around justifies his approach, and also the fact that whilst there are many people questioning his aggression, none of that criticism seems to be coming from any of the people who were on the receiving end of it.

MWHIBBIES
24-01-2023, 01:47 PM
Don't worry, your work isn't going to announce that Martindale is your new boss anytime soon 😅

:faf: that's true.

ErinGoBraghHFC
24-01-2023, 01:53 PM
No I don't know him and to be honest with you i wouldn't want too either and as far as him being a nice guy ? , nice guys don't get involved in drug dealing , I made mistake's in my life also, as everyone else has but most decent people have never felt the need to sell drugs , truth be told I care to much for my fellow man or woman to do so ! Of course he's served his time though I wonder if a family is still serving time due to losing a family member? ( Sad & frightening thought that ) . One time when I was out I got a doing from a group of lads 15 , 16ish over here that jumped me and took to kicking my stomach when that didn't work they decided to concentrate on my head ! If it hadn't been for a passing taxi driver I don't know if I'd have survived . One of the lads was a wee boy me and my girlfriend at the time use to baby sit, I later found out that he was taken drugs and fallen in with a bad group . I'm sorry but anyone dealing in drugs id keep nailed to the cross . If martindale ever becomes Hibs manager that's the day I stop being a hibby till he's gone . Sorry mate but that's were I'm at with this .

Far more people take drugs recreationally than you think and they’re perfectly functional members of society, he’s turned his life around and deserves all the credit for that. Ostracising people when they get out of prison increases the likelihood of them reoffending, I’d love to see him as hibs manager tbh he’d not accept the muck we’ve been served up the last two seasons

Since452
24-01-2023, 02:23 PM

Totally agree. Lowest of the low.

MWHIBBIES
24-01-2023, 02:26 PM

Spot on.

The "****ing good old days" crowd need to move on.

Hibby Bairn
24-01-2023, 02:31 PM

Yeah. The same generation who got a sticker for being last in the school sports day egg and spoon race saying "Great try".

Hibby Bairn
24-01-2023, 02:37 PM

But they do live in parallel universes. If Employment Law was enforced in day to day life in and around a football club we'd spend most of our time reading about tribunals.

It's not a normal place of work.

buktapurple79
24-01-2023, 02:54 PM
Keep that drug-dealing bluenose off our forum, cannae stand aw this redemption nonsense wae him, folk on here wanted a laddie banned for life from Hibs for doing something daft in a derby!

Dashing Bob S
24-01-2023, 03:22 PM
I’m not for obnoxious behavior in the workplace, but I’m pretty fed up with the rise of the media savvy nice guy manager like Johnson, Ross and Southgate. They are initially liked by players but there’s no fear factor or deep respect.

In todays environment it’s doubtful whether a top club would employ someone like Alex Ferguson.

Martindale is certainly no Ferguson and I’m not sure about him, but we need someone who has his edge instead of another boy band fluffer.

HarpOnHibee
24-01-2023, 03:27 PM
Can't we all just agree that it's ultimately about balance? There's times when players require a quiet word in the ear and there's times when they require a good clip around the ear instead. A great manager will identify what the team requires in order to motivate them in the situation.

McSwanky
24-01-2023, 05:43 PM
Can't we all just agree that it's ultimately about balance? There's times when players require a quiet word in the ear and there's times when they require a good clip around the ear instead. A great manager will identify what the team requires in order to motivate them in the situation.Seems fair. Bottom line is he's been getting a lot outvof his players for a good while now, Livi are absolutely punching above their weight. So he must be doing something right.

People say it wouldn't happen in other workplaces, of course it wouldn't. A football dressing room is not a standard workplace environment. It might have been Terry Christie that reckoned being a teacher and being a football manager required largely the same skill set as football players tend to act like kids. And nobody's getting shirty about teachers giving badly behaved kids a rollicking are they? Or are they?

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

truehibernian
24-01-2023, 05:52 PM
I’m not for obnoxious behavior in the workplace, but I’m pretty fed up with the rise of the media savvy nice guy manager like Johnson, Ross and Southgate. They are initially liked by players but there’s no fear factor or deep respect.

In todays environment it’s doubtful whether a top club would employ someone like Alex Ferguson.

Martindale is certainly no Ferguson and I’m not sure about him, but we need someone who has his edge instead of another boy band fluffer.

If I was a player I’d not listen to any hair dryer treatment from the likes of David Martindale DBS 😂be more tempted to sparkle him to be honest.

Fergie on the other hand had Archie Knox looming in the shadows so it would always have been “yes boss” 😂👍.

It’s the aura of who’s delivering the bollocking that commands respect. I’m not condoning workplace bullying, players and agents and the modern day workplace (including football) rightly don’t allow what went on years ago - but there’s a way to deliver a message and Johnson, for me, just doesn’t carry or indeed command respect.

HarpOnHibee
24-01-2023, 05:59 PM
Seems fair. Bottom line is he's been getting a lot outvof his players for a good while now, Livi are absolutely punching above their weight. So he must be doing something right.

Precisely. There's no way that this is his approach to every game. He clearly has a range for dealing with players on a game by game basis, otherwise Livi wouldn't be where they are in the table and still in the cup. They were losing to opposition that they are evidently magnitudes beyond in terms of quality and he did exactly what was necessary to address it.

Dashing Bob S
24-01-2023, 07:06 PM
If I was a player I’d not listen to any hair dryer treatment from the likes of David Martindale DBS 😂be more tempted to sparkle him to be honest.

Fergie on the other hand had Archie Knox looming in the shadows so it would always have been “yes boss” 😂👍.

It’s the aura of who’s delivering the bollocking that commands respect. I’m not condoning workplace bullying, players and agents and the modern day workplace (including football) rightly don’t allow what went on years ago - but there’s a way to deliver a message and Johnson, for me, just doesn’t carry or indeed command respect.

Agreed

Stokesy's on fire
24-01-2023, 09:35 PM
That's how it's done