PDA

View Full Version : Foul in the build up for the 2nd goal

Johnny_Leith
23-01-2023, 12:56 PM
Marley seen this mentioned but I thought it was obvious at the time and just saw it on twitter. Why was there no VAR check on this?

It's a blatant foul by Devlin in the build up. We've not had much go in our favour from VAR as yet.

Vital moment in the game and totally goes hearts way. Why was there no pressure from the players or management team on the officials either, loser mentality.

https://twitter.com/LambeauJambo/status/1617441346155085824?t=v5pY3eSQzgNB063428xT9A&s=19

Rumble de Thump
23-01-2023, 12:58 PM
A foul, quickly followed by two handballs.

JJP
23-01-2023, 01:05 PM
I was sure at the time that VAR would rule out the second goal because of this. How silly of me.

Maguire
23-01-2023, 01:15 PM
Is this the goal where shankland just casually waltzed through our defence?

Would rather we just learned how to defend instead of trying to find excuses for ourselves every time.

SickBoy32
23-01-2023, 01:21 PM
Was a clear foul in real time, no idea how the ref missed it

For the huns in the VAR box to miss it as well though...

Defending was of course awful, but if we're no playing by the rules (when its as blatant as that) - really what's the point

The penalty differential chart posted on here the other day speaks volumes

Glory Lurker
23-01-2023, 01:21 PM
It looked a fair shoulder barge to me at the time but the angle TV had it does look a foul.

We could have played all day without scoring though

weecounty hibby
23-01-2023, 01:38 PM
Look like a free kick from FF upper at the time and looks like a free kick now. Robertson gave some strange decisions yesterday.

Tyler Durden
23-01-2023, 01:40 PM
Was a clear foul in real time, no idea how the ref missed it

For the huns in the VAR box to miss it as well though...

Defending was of course awful, but if we're no playing by the rules (when its as blatant as that) - really what's the point

The penalty differential chart posted on here the other day speaks volumes

It's the kind of thing that's given as a foul 9 times out of 10. But it's not like the ref didn't see it. So VAR is rarely going to intervene in that sort of incident.

Probably only if it benefitted Hibs tbf:rolleyes:

Ron D Hibbie
23-01-2023, 01:56 PM
Did we not get a goal chalked of at tannadice for a slight push. That var spotted.

loanheadhibby
23-01-2023, 02:10 PM
Look like a free kick from FF upper at the time and looks like a free kick now. Robertson gave some strange decisions yesterday.

It did look like a foul at the game. What was strange was how our players did not go mental at the ref. Especially Youhan who had been fouled?

I also thought Robertson gave some strange decisions. It was a derby in Scottish Cup so he should have let it flow a bit more. The time wasting in the 2nd half was off the scale. Clarke in goals was at it every time he got his hands on the ball. The rules need to change to stop keepers doing that nonsense of falling on the ball and then holding on to it for as long as possible.

JimBHibees
23-01-2023, 02:14 PM
Did we not get a goal chalked of at tannadice for a slight push. That var spotted.

Don't think that was var but a linesman 70 yards away gave it while the ref 10 away didn't. Bizarre decision think that was pre var though

JammyDoidger
23-01-2023, 02:14 PM
It did look like a foul at the game. What was strange was how our players did not go mental at the ref. Especially Youhan who had been fouled?

I also thought Robertson gave some strange decisions. It was a derby in Scottish Cup so he should have let it flow a bit more. The time wasting in the 2nd half was off the scale. Clarke in goals was at it every time he got his hands on the ball. The rules need to change to stop keepers doing that nonsense of falling on the ball and then holding on to it for as long as possible.

Youan wouldn't have went mental because it's not in his make up, he's a loser, with poor football IQ, just like the majority of his team mates. Fwiw I think he needs to be stronger he's easily shoved off the ball.

JimBHibees
23-01-2023, 02:15 PM
Youan wouldn't have went mental because it's not in his make up, he's a loser, with poor football IQ, just like the majority of his team mates.

:greengrin

GreenNWhiteArmy
23-01-2023, 02:41 PM
We could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored yet

KWJ
23-01-2023, 02:44 PM
Personally didn't think it was a foul and would've been raging had it gone against us. I think Youan had a decent game but he's weak when running with the ball as seen here and when through early.

LaMotta
23-01-2023, 02:45 PM
Personally didn't think it was a foul and would've been raging had it gone against us. I think Youan had a decent game but he's weak when running with the ball as seen here and when through early.

Mate that is a foul.

Rumble de Thump
23-01-2023, 02:51 PM

Took out the player without even trying to make contact with the ball. The two bits of contact with the ball after the foul were with hands. I think you'd be delighted if the ref and VAR officials let our players get away with that.

JammyDoidger
23-01-2023, 02:55 PM

Youan wouldn't have went mental because it's not in his make up, he's a loser, with poor football IQ, just like the majority of his team mates.

CL0762
23-01-2023, 02:56 PM
Too far back for VAR to intervene supposedly.

This stupid offside nonsense needs to change though, waiting until play is finished before putting the flag up is absolute bull****

wookie70
23-01-2023, 03:00 PM
It was very obviously a foul watching it at the game. It is even more obvious looking at the view VAR would have had. Foul and handball. At no point did I think VAR would intervene on our behalf because it is only for use against Hibs as far as I can tell. Devlin gets away with murder for some reason as does Snodgrass. It is like the way Shinnie was treated by refs a few years back. Some players seem to play to completely different rules to others

DH1875
23-01-2023, 03:05 PM
Don't know about that but pretty sure we should have had a penalty late in 2nd half for foul on Porteous at a corner.

hibsdaft
23-01-2023, 03:18 PM
Too far back for VAR to intervene supposedly.

According the the Q&A on the SFA website, VAR will normally only go back to the start of the last attacking phase of play.

The English Premier League FAQ says for their VAR the attacking phase will "be limited to the immediate phase and not necessarily go back to when the team gained possession".

I would have thought the start of the attacking phase would include the means by which possession was achieved, but it seems that's maybe not the interpretation they're using.

wookie70
23-01-2023, 03:18 PM
Just watching the highlights I presume VAR doesn't get involved as it is deemed the goal to be another phase of play after the ball is headed out. Remember when they used to say football was a simple game!

The highlights have made me even angrier watching Cabraja efforts at the first where he moves away so the ball doesn't hit him and Cadden for the second was pathetic. Marshall didn't half make it easy for the third too. For all we played well and the referees were very helpful to Hearts we have players who are simply not willing to put their bodies on the line.

Jones28
23-01-2023, 03:19 PM
I think it’s soft tbh. Just like the defending that followed it.

flash
23-01-2023, 03:22 PM
It's a clear foul.

I hate when we lose a big game and people on here just become completely irrational with stuff like this.

Callum_62
23-01-2023, 03:24 PM
How is it a new phase?

Doesn't devlin pass to Shankland who plays a 1-2 and scored?

Ridiculous really and wasn't even mentioned at the time even thought it was obvious as anything

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

LaMotta
23-01-2023, 03:28 PM

Would rather we just learned how to defend instead of trying to find excuses for ourselves every time.

There are seperate threads on our woeful defending. That doesn't excuse the shocking decision here, nor does it mean we cant talk about it on this specific thread.

loanheadhibby
23-01-2023, 03:40 PM

You’ve went in harder on Youhan than Devlin did.

I thought for 15 minutes yesterday Youhan was absolutely brilliant. If he can get his end product right, there’s a player in there. Maybe not for us tho.

LJ commented on it after the game. We need to release final ball a bit quicker and with more accuracy.

weecounty hibby
23-01-2023, 03:42 PM
Don't know about that but pretty sure we should have had a penalty late in 2nd half for foul on Porteous at a corner.
I know at the time that both Porto and Campbell I think were complaining to the ref. I also heard someone say that on the radio they thought it was a pen

McGruber
23-01-2023, 03:46 PM
It's a clear foul.

I hate when we lose a big game and people on here just become completely irrational with stuff like this.

I just think he muscles him off it shoulder to shoulder, not much in it. Never noticed handball would need to watch it again.

Far more annoyed at Devlin jumping into Rocky which caused his injury. Rocky goes in to play the ball, Devlin sees him coming and jumps at him landing on him with his leg under him - no intent on playing the ball just playing the man. It wasn't horrific, not a booking or red card - but he caused it with a deliberate action

wookie70
23-01-2023, 03:46 PM
How is it a new phase?

Doesn't devlin pass to Shankland who plays a 1-2 and scored?

Ridiculous really and wasn't even mentioned at the time even thought it was obvious as anything

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

The ball is chipped into the box after foul and header goes to Shankland. He scores 14 seconds after the foul but I can see why it was deemed to be another phase. I have no idea how the referee doesn't give the foul without the aid of TV footage. It was absolutely obvious but he refereed teh game extremely poorly throughout.

LaMotta
23-01-2023, 03:58 PM
I just think he muscles him off it shoulder to shoulder, not much in it. Never noticed handball would need to watch it again.

Far more annoyed at Devlin jumping into Rocky which caused his injury. Rocky goes in to play the ball, Devlin sees him coming and jumps at him landing on him with his leg under him - no intent on playing the ball just playing the man. It wasn't horrific, not a booking or red card - but he caused it with a deliberate action

Its def not shoulder to shoulder. Devlin takes him out with his hips. Its one of the most blatant fouls there was yesterday.

ShetlandHibby
23-01-2023, 04:22 PM

I watched the Rocky injury at the game and then again on the telly. Bit harsh to blame devlin. Horrible runt that he is I don’t think he did anything to contribute. Rocky went in to take the ball and the man and unfortunately got hurt in the process. Thought Rocky had a good game yesterday and if Porto goes the thought of fish and hanlon at the back is scary!

McGruber
23-01-2023, 04:25 PM
Its def not shoulder to shoulder. Devlin takes him out with his hips. Its one of the most blatant fouls there was yesterday.

Maybe need to watch it again 🤔

HibeeHibernian4
23-01-2023, 04:38 PM
That is a blatant foul and theyve been getting away with that my whole life but it isn’t the reason we lost yesterday.

Silky
23-01-2023, 04:48 PM
Just reading this thread sums up for me the problem with VAR. There is mot universal agreement that it was a foul. Posters have called it "soft" and stated they would be unhappy if it was given against us. Different posters have different opinions. Same with refs and VAR operators. One might say its a foul and one might not.

superfurryhibby
23-01-2023, 04:54 PM
Just watched the highlights and I feel Devlin made no attempt to play the ball, he just used his body to shove Youan away from it. That's almost fair enough, if you are also playing the ball at the same time. When it is solely used to stop an opponent from progressing up the park then it must be a foul.

Still doesn't excuse the piss poor attempt at defending that followed.

where'stheslope
23-01-2023, 05:19 PM
Just watched the highlights and I feel Devlin made no attempt to play the ball, he just used his body to shove Youan away from it. That's almost fair enough, if you are also playing the ball at the same time. When it is solely used to stop an opponent from progressing up the park then it must be a foul.

Still doesn't excuse the piss poor attempt at defending that followed.
We used to love when McGinn did the same thing, but he had a green jersey on, so it was OK!!!

timewilltell
23-01-2023, 05:20 PM

This...

Carheenlea
23-01-2023, 05:30 PM
According the the Q&A on the SFA website, VAR will normally only go back to the start of the last attacking phase of play.

The English Premier League FAQ says for their VAR the attacking phase will "be limited to the immediate phase and not necessarily go back to when the team gained possession".

I would have thought the start of the attacking phase would include the means by which possession was achieved, but it seems that's maybe not the interpretation they're using.

I interpret it as making it up as they go. Nobody has clue what the rules are meant to be now, and maybe that’s the whole plan. Just baffle the fans into submission.

Allyg69
23-01-2023, 05:35 PM
Youan is clearly fouled and goes down probably thinking there is no way he is'nt getting a free kick. To say he was weak is baffling.

Rumble de Thump
23-01-2023, 05:35 PM
We used to love when McGinn did the same thing, but he had a green jersey on, so it was OK!!!

Shielding a ball that you're in control of, which McGinn is very good at, is different from launching your body in front on a player's legs without even attempting to connect with the ball.

Allyg69
23-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Shielding a ball that you're in control of, which McGinn is very good at, is different from launching your body in front on a player's legs without even attempting to connect with the ball.

Spot on. Devlins legs end up almost tripping Youan up . Only the fact he had bumped him up in the air with his hip stopped him falling over Devlins legs. Saying that, Cadden gave Shankland a written invitation to go through the gap for the goal, really really poor.

Hibee Mac
23-01-2023, 06:05 PM
Was glaringly obvious at the game that was a foul, I'm even more sure of it having seen it back.

Not surprised to see VAR not looking at it though, we're stil yet to have a single decision go our way with it!

wookie70
23-01-2023, 06:09 PM
Was glaringly obvious at the game that was a foul, I'm even more sure of it having seen it back.

Not surprised to see VAR not looking at it though, we're stil yet to have a single decision go our way with it! The only one I remember is the consolation at Aberdeen. That came after an appalling decision to award them a penalty via VAR and we only got a positive decision when the game was over.

LaMotta
23-01-2023, 11:06 PM

Well no if McGinn did what Devlin did a foul would usually be given against him.

Jones28
24-01-2023, 07:30 AM
I’ve watched it again this morning and changed my mind. It’s a foul.

MelbourneHibees
24-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Isn't VAR restricted by 20 seconds rather than phases of play?

Jones28
24-01-2023, 09:48 AM
Isn't VAR restricted by 20 seconds rather than phases of play?

Also restricted by the cluelessness of the ***** operating it.

wookie70
24-01-2023, 11:58 AM
I think the VAR rules were followed looking at teh Q&A. Hearts very briefly lost possession when the ball was chipped into our box and headed out after the glaringly obvious free kick. The mistake is on teh ref not the VAR team looking at the way they use it. It is a guide though and such an obvious mistake makes the whole system look ridiculous.

"As a guide, VAR will normally only go back as far as the start of the last ‘attacking phase of play” (APP). So, if a team is on the attack and the VAR says that the APP has started, if a goal is scored and there’s an obvious foul by the attacking side in the APP, the VAR will look at that as part of automatically checking the goal. Conversely, if the attacking phase comes to an end (e.g. the attacking team loses possession or the ball goes out of play), the VAR would no longer need to check that foul. The only incidents when VAR can go back to a previous phase of play is for incidents of violent conduct, spitting or mistaken identity."

basehibby
24-01-2023, 12:37 PM
Marley seen this mentioned but I thought it was obvious at the time and just saw it on twitter. Why was there no VAR check on this?

It's a blatant foul by Devlin in the build up. We've not had much go in our favour from VAR as yet.

Vital moment in the game and totally goes hearts way. Why was there no pressure from the players or management team on the officials either, loser mentality.

https://twitter.com/LambeauJambo/status/1617441346155085824?t=v5pY3eSQzgNB063428xT9A&s=19

I was in the East and it happened right in front of me - 100% a foul - was and still am f---ing livid as it effectively sealed the win for them.
VAR is an absolute waste of space if they let things like that slide - useless *******s watching the VAR should be hauled over the coals as its a case of either gross incompetence or cheating. Much like the penalty not given at Ibrox as it goes!