PDA

View Full Version : Melkerson Possible Loan Sparta Rotterdam

Torto7062
15-01-2023, 08:25 PM
Dutch Sites reporting this

J-C
15-01-2023, 08:27 PM
Soon there'll be no one left to field a subs bench.

Bronson
15-01-2023, 08:35 PM
Best news of the weekend, shame it’s not a permanent deal.

And before anyone comes at me telling me his age i do not care. He’s rubbish.

SaulGoodman
15-01-2023, 08:36 PM

He’s only 20

Bronson
15-01-2023, 08:37 PM
He’s only 20

For a second there mate, you almost had me

Nitten
15-01-2023, 08:41 PM

He is decent just needs a run if games. Another who had we had a defence would have been able to flourish more. I can’t believe the negativity of some so called supporters

Bronson
15-01-2023, 08:45 PM
He is decent just needs a run if games. Another who had we had a defence would have been able to flourish more. I can’t believe the negativity of some so called supporters

I don’t see it, he offers nothing he never impacts games when he plays. Everyone thinks we’re mince but when we cut some of the deadwood that can’t even get in such a rubbish team, folk take an issue with it. Can’t win

Glory Lurker
15-01-2023, 08:49 PM
He’s only 20

No he's not, he's Finnish.

15-01-2023, 08:52 PM
No he's not, he's Finnish.

There's years left in him yet.🙃

Mango Man
15-01-2023, 08:53 PM
For the best, just didn't see it with him sadly, really wanted to, as it seemed quite an exciting signing at the time, but practically zero impact in a year.

CapitalGreen
15-01-2023, 08:53 PM
Reposting from the PM board.

What the top strikers in the SPFL were doing the season they turned 20:

Shankland - 18 games for Aberdeen 0 goals.
Nisbet - On loan at Ayr from Partick. 20 games 2 goals.
Kyogo - Playing for a University team.
Colak - Playing for Nurnberg Reserves in the German 4th tier
Miovski - Playing in Macedonia - 4 goals in 13
Duk - Benfica U23s

Bonus one. Riordan had played 20 games for Hibs, 3 goals.

Diclonius
15-01-2023, 08:56 PM
We don't have a player named Melkerson.

Dunbar Hibee
15-01-2023, 08:56 PM

He’s really not.

Bronson
15-01-2023, 09:02 PM
He’s really not.

Please enlighten me as to what i’m missing then because i’m yet to see him have a good game other than motherwell in the cup. I can’t even pick out a particular quality that he brings to the team.

Ozyhibby
15-01-2023, 09:25 PM
Supposed to be a long term prospect? Still very young but we have already lost patience?
No idea if this lad makes it or not but he did show some potential.
If there is a plan at Hibs just now, I have to say that I have zero idea what it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
15-01-2023, 09:30 PM
Supposed to be a long term prospect? Still very young but we have already lost patience?
If there is a plan at Hibs just now, I have to say that I have zero idea what it is?

To me, it feels like the manager has told them to forget the idea of having all this young, unproven talent as part of the squad. They’re not capable of making any impact at this moment in time, get them out to make space for players who can.

With some of them, I think a loan is acceptable as part of their development. Problem for me is that, when we were signing them, we seemed to think we could lump them altogether and they’d just magically develop in our first team, which was never going to be the case.

SMAXXA
15-01-2023, 09:33 PM
To me, it feels like the manager has told them to forget the idea of having all this young, unproven talent as part of the squad. They’re not capable of making any impact at this moment in time, get them out to make space for players who can.

With some of them, I think a loan is acceptable as part of their development. Problem for me is that, when we were signing them, we seemed to think we could lump them altogether and they’d just magically develop in our first team, which was never going to be the case.

I think this is a fairly accurate assessment of what’s happening just now.

HibeeMackenzie
15-01-2023, 09:35 PM
Hopefully means the likes of Laidlaw, Megwa and Macintyre will get a chance of some minutes now

Iain G
15-01-2023, 09:37 PM

He has shown more skill, intelligence and energy and effort than a lot of others have. Like others he needs a run of games to develop and that hasn't happened. I hope this is a loan only and he comes back a more rounded player as I do still think he could be a good goalscoring forward for us.

MagicSwirlingShip
15-01-2023, 09:37 PM
Hopefully means the likes of Laidlaw, Megwa and Macintyre will get a chance of some minutes now

Agreed.

Iain G
15-01-2023, 09:38 PM

Are they any better than Melkersen? Will they get enough minutes to develop in our first team?

CentreForward
15-01-2023, 09:42 PM
Perhaps if he does go to Rotterdam they might actually play him in his preferred position which is through the middle. Then we might actually see something more promising from him. That means he will come back to us and Johnson will then have learnt the best place to play him in. Sadly I don’t think Johnson is capable of noticing anything like that.

Willis1875
15-01-2023, 09:45 PM
Johnson won’t still be at Hibs when or if he returns anyway

scoopyboy
15-01-2023, 09:45 PM
Where does it say it is a loan?

Might it be permanent?

Scotty Leither
15-01-2023, 09:46 PM
I wonder how they’ll spin this on the club website.

Unseen work
15-01-2023, 09:48 PM
Surely the point in a loan would be to get him playing regularly and in a league similar to ours?

I think he has potential, but is he going to go and start for Rotterdam with their current league position? I doubt it.

15-01-2023, 09:53 PM
Sparta Rotterdam are 6th in Eredivisie, is he likely to get any more game time there?

LaMotta
15-01-2023, 09:53 PM
Surely the point in a loan would be to get him playing regularly and in a league similar to ours?

I think he has potential, but is he going to go and start for Rotterdam with their current league position? I doubt it.

:agree: 6th in Eriedivisie must be a decent side.

Dunbar Hibee
15-01-2023, 09:57 PM
Where does it say it is a loan?

Might it be permanent?

That’s what the record are going with. Do you know something different?

scoopyboy
15-01-2023, 10:03 PM
That’s what the record are going with. Do you know something different?

No, I was just going by the picture on the original post.

Didn't realise the record had put something up.

CL0762
15-01-2023, 10:40 PM
Supposedly a loan with option to buy.

Can’t say I’m too disappointed, not the lads fault either. He was supposed to be part of the dev squad until Nisbet’s injury.

The way he was hyped up as well by the social media announcement didn’t help matters either.

cameronw-hfc
16-01-2023, 12:21 AM
Supposedly a loan with option to buy.

Can’t say I’m too disappointed, not the lads fault either. He was supposed to be part of the dev squad until Nisbet’s injury.

The way he was hyped up as well by the social media announcement didn’t help matters either.

He was never meant to be part of the dev squad, he was always a first team signing, we just wanted to let him adapt a bit longer than we ended up having to. At no point was he ever a development team player or signing though.

Vault Boy
16-01-2023, 12:36 AM
A loan with an option to buy is about the least sensible option for us IMO.

If he goes and does well, we’ve set a prearranged value based on his current worth (which isn’t in a great position given he’s done nothing all season), and we potentially lose out on value/lose a player in form.

If he flops, it just means we’ve had a young forward unavailable for the rest of our season, warming someone else’s bench. I really wouldn’t understand this deal from our perspective - unless the option is actually an obligation… in which case, just sell up front now.

Greenio
16-01-2023, 12:56 AM
I think this is a fairly accurate assessment of what’s happening just now.

Agreed

Earlydelivery
16-01-2023, 04:48 AM

Nail on the head ‘ never make it with us .

Since452
16-01-2023, 05:20 AM
Would rather he went on loan to a championship team. If he leaves permanently I won't lose any sleep.

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2023, 05:57 AM
Would love nothing more than for him to go on and be a huge success.

Bobby's Cinema
16-01-2023, 06:18 AM

Duk - Benfica U23s

Great stats, well then that gives me hope :greengrin

Jones28
16-01-2023, 06:31 AM
I’m convinced there’s a player in Melkersen, a loan with an option is a **** deal for us.

eastmainsmsh
16-01-2023, 06:43 AM
There’s another Norwegian striker there it might help Melkersons game like him as a player tho

Heisenberg
16-01-2023, 06:46 AM
He looked like such a good finisher against Motherwell but after that he had a few chances in the league and couldn’t take any of them which seemed to take a toll on his confidence.

He’s never getting in ahead of Nisbet now but I’m assuming if we’re letting him go we’ll have someone else lined up to come in. Can’t only go with McKirdy/Nisbet as our options.

The Spaceman
16-01-2023, 06:49 AM
I’m convinced there’s a player in Melkersen, a loan with an option is a **** deal for us.

Where I’m at. A lose-lose for us I think and I’m sure there is a great player in there. Loan in the UK would have made far more sense.

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2023, 06:56 AM
He looked like such a good finisher against Motherwell but after that he had a few chances in the league and couldn’t take any of them which seemed to take a toll on his confidence.

He’s never getting in ahead of Nisbet now but I’m assuming if we’re letting him go we’ll have someone else lined up to come in. Can’t only go with McKirdy/Nisbet as our options.

We should've given him far more minutes, as a striker I think though. Although he was struggling with the head injury, he would've buried the ones Bojang and Youan were missing.

We suffered short term to bring through the golden generation and we've been totally unwilling to give 2 or 3 young guys a consistent chance since. Teams like Motherwell and St mirren doing it with great success.

Dalianwanda
16-01-2023, 07:14 AM
Where I’m at. A lose-lose for us I think and I’m sure there is a great player in there. Loan in the UK would have made far more sense.

Suppose we don’t know if anyone in uk was interested & if it is loan to buy what the end fee is.

CL0762
16-01-2023, 07:18 AM
He was never meant to be part of the dev squad, he was always a first team signing, we just wanted to let him adapt a bit longer than we ended up having to. At no point was he ever a development team player or signing though.

Sorry, should’ve said initially to help him settle in given he had never played on grass before. I’m sure that was mentioned multiple times in interviews after he signed.

Nakedmanoncrack
16-01-2023, 07:30 AM
Cut the losses and learn some lessons about unfairly hyping up young players to sell speculative signings to the support as something more than they are.

HFC93
16-01-2023, 07:34 AM
Mind that Reindeer Hotdog boy on Twitter who hyped up Melkersen?

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

neil7908
16-01-2023, 07:48 AM
Best move for all parties. Too young to write off but given the sum we've supposedly paid for him, it's not looking like a wise investment.

Interesting though that he's going to a good club playing at a decent level - they must also see something in him.

Exuberance1875
16-01-2023, 07:49 AM
I still see something there, only 20 years old. I feel a loan move would suit him best.

I hope it’s not a permanent but best of luck to him if it is!

hibstag
16-01-2023, 07:50 AM
Sparta Rotterdam are 6th in Eredivisie, is he likely to get any more game time there?

Could they see the same potential that we have? Given his lack of game time here want to assess him close up in training, livestyle etc.

Johnny_Leith
16-01-2023, 07:50 AM
He's got potential but doesn't look like he'll be ready for first team football at Hibs for a while.

He's got a good touch but never looks like scoring, doesn't find himself with opportunities in the box and can't beat a man in a one on one situation. He's bullied regularly by centre halves and off the ball movement leaves a lot to be desires, makes a lot of runs but mostly just for the sake of it half the time.

Started most of our competitive games at the start of the season and yielded 0 G/A. SC Vs 10 man M'Well two goals but very poor from a defensive M'Well pov.

I hope he improves and has a good career but it doesn't look like he's been a good fit at Hibs.

Our recruitment has been absolutely horrific.

McGruber
16-01-2023, 07:54 AM
Good riddance. Talented young player not banging in goals regularly from his 5 min cameos out wide. Hopefully Laidlaw and O'Connor next. Zero 1st team goals between them, can't even get a game. None will ever be above Nisbet who will be away in the summer. Unfortunately we never had Nisbet when he was 20 and failed to make the grade before being binned by Partick.
Major weakness in our team at both full backs - Megwa and MacIntyre can't get in the team, get them in the bin. Under 18's, 19's - bin the lot and save the cash. No point, 19 qnd 20 too young for mens football at Easter road. If you are a young guy looking to develop and play, find yourself a move elsewhere, no chances at Easter Road - we don't support youth in the 1st team though love a wee Euro trip

skyehibee
16-01-2023, 07:55 AM
Mind that Reindeer Hotdog boy on Twitter who hyped up Melkersen?

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Was probably Ian Gordon in disguise

hibsbollah
16-01-2023, 08:07 AM
Mind that Reindeer Hotdog boy

I need to see this :faf:
Hoping your hard drive isn’t compromised

Shrekko
16-01-2023, 08:10 AM
We should've given him far more minutes, as a striker I think though. Although he was struggling with the head injury, he would've buried the ones Bojang and Youan were missing.

We suffered short term to bring through the golden generation and we've been totally unwilling to give 2 or 3 young guys a consistent chance since. Teams like Motherwell and St mirren doing it with great success.

How can you surmise he’d be burying chances that others missed? He missed an open goal in a game that cost us a top 6 place last season and a few other gilt edged chances.

Not saying he doesn’t look like he has some sort of footballing ability but he looks like an extremely naive player who’d take a lot of time to gain a bit of of the nous required. He’s been here a year already as it is.

Absolutely baffling signing all things considered.

Pretty Boy
16-01-2023, 08:20 AM
Clubs aren't in the habit of letting players go when they have made a significant financial investment in them without good reason.

Melkerson hasn't shown much at Hibs. There's a lot of non specifics around his potential but I'd struggle to name one thing he really excels at. He's never shown enough to suggest he really deserved a run of games and with Nisbet back, Khukeravych giving us another option and 2 young strikers in the 18s then if there is a potential cash offer on the table I can see why we are considering it.

I'm also hoping this may be a sign that our delusional 'buy em cheap, sell em high' signing policy is shifting and we'll see a bit more focus on the here and now going forward.

Mainstandman
16-01-2023, 08:24 AM

Duk - Benfica U23s

This illustrates the point, they all needed to be playing at a lower level to develop their game. I am concern by the quality of the coaching at Hibs, I can hardly name a player in the last five years that has dramatically improved. Doig/McGinn always looked like they had the drive but who has looked average and been coached into a really good player? tells the board/club they need to change the coaches or just get ready made players that can then say inspire/set the standard the lesser players to be better

Rumble de Thump
16-01-2023, 08:28 AM
Clubs aren't in the habit of letting players go when they have made a significant financial investment in them without good reason.

Melkerson hasn't shown much at Hibs. There's a lot of non specifics around his potential but I'd struggle to name one thing he really excels at. He's never shown enough to suggest he really deserved a run of games and with Nisbet back, Khukeravych giving us another option and 2 young strikers in the 18s then if there is a potential cash offer on the table I can see why we are considering it.

I'm also hoping this may be a sign that our delusional 'buy em cheap, sell em high' signing policy is shifting and we'll see a bit more focus on the here and now going forward.

It's far from delusional.

GreenPJ
16-01-2023, 08:32 AM

I think in brief snippets (lets face it he hasn't had a lot of game time to allow him to show anything) he has shown he is willing to run in behind, sits on the defenders shoulder, the problem is that the way be play football at the moment everyone is playing balls to feet, no one is willing to run with the ball or look to play a pass into space for someone to run onto. If a team that is currently sitting in 6th in the Dutch top league are seeing potential in this guy I struggle to see why we aren't but they made the same size of investment in McKirdy who is 5 years older and I think they would rather give him more game time otherwise you really have written off that investment.

I think Melkerson has the potential to be a good player and like to see him come back and be given a fair chance at Hibs and I am sure he would make us money in the future. The only positive is it must give Laidlaw or O'Connor the chance to take the seat on the bench and hopefully get some game time to see if they are anywhere near ready.

Onion
16-01-2023, 08:33 AM
Spill no tears over clearing deadwood at ER. If we can get some cash in the process, even better.

Slim Shady
16-01-2023, 08:43 AM
There’s no way Hibs will be selling Melkersen without a sell on clause.

Pretty Boy
It's far from delusional.

It really is.

There aren't a whole load of players with untapped potential kicking about that are going to develop into £5M players in a 2 or 3 year period. If it was the case everyone would be doing the same thing.

We are looking to unload Melkerson, Tavares can't get near the team, Kenneh is away on loan, Tait is away on loan, Mackay is away on loan, McClelland is away on loan, Johnson and Delferriere have been on loan and will be back out the door as soon as we can find a taker, Henderson has shown nothing, Hague is Mr Invisible, Mueller has been and gone....... That's about the hit rate I would expect from such a signing policy. It's needle in a haystack stuff and if you hit on 1 in every 15 or 20 then you are doing well with it.

McGruber
Hopefully Johnson makes more decisions on the futures of our young players in the 2 or 3 weeks he has left at the club

j'adorehibs
16-01-2023, 08:52 AM
i struggle with the comments from folk wanting to keep a player who has failed to make an impact....saying someone will come good is conjecture...i dont think we can afford to be hoping players come good.....we need to get shot of all the baggage and get in replacements who put the current starting 11 bar a few as squad players.

this has been our whole problem. we are still starting with a team which started under Jack Ross pretty much

Helensburghhibs
16-01-2023, 08:58 AM
It really is.

There aren't a whole load of players with untapped potential kicking about that are going to develop into £5M players in a 2 or 3 year period. If it was the case everyone would be doing the same thing.

We are looking to unload Melkerson, Tavares can't get near the team, Kenneh is away on loan, Tait is away on loan, Mackay is away on loan, McClelland is away on loan, Johnson and Delferriere have been on loan and will be back out the door as soon as we can find a taker, Henderson has shown nothing, Hague is Mr Invisible, Mueller has been and gone....... That's about the hit rate I would expect from such a signing policy. It's needle in a haystack stuff and if you hit on 1 in every 15 or 20 then you are doing well with it.

Exactly,, I don't mind looking for foreign youngsters with potential but so far we have had more success promoting our own than signing them (see Porto and josh doig)

hibsbollah
16-01-2023, 09:03 AM
It really is.

It depends what you mean by 'untapped potential'.

If you mean, 'showed nothing to ever suggest they would make it as a pro, and then came from total obscurity to playing at a high level' like say, Jason Cummings and Ivan Sproule, i'd agree with you, that's quite rare.

But if you mean 'showed plenty ability and promise, scouts were aware of him, got to a big club but then fell off the radar because he never fitted in with a manager's tactical planning, injury, personal circumstances, mental fortitude whatever',
I would disagree, there are absolutely loads of them out there. You dont have to be Arsene Wenger but look at France. get some contacts there, find out what players came out of Clairefontaine, spend money on the right information. Its just one market but its a big one. or choose another market.

We've had this conversation before, but I think you are throwing out the model, (ie-using contacts to invest initially in youth with the aim to develop, sell and invest bigger) which is a sound one, because so far, the 'identifying players' bit has been wrong. This is a medium to long term process, and judging it on whether Bojang can kick a ball or the Reindeer hot dog guy got too carried away with Melkerson on social media is missing the point.

Tyler Durden
16-01-2023, 09:10 AM
Good riddance. Talented young player not banging in goals regularly from his 5 min cameos out wide. Hopefully Laidlaw and O'Connor next. Zero 1st team goals between them, can't even get a game. None will ever be above Nisbet who will be away in the summer. Unfortunately we never had Nisbet when he was 20 and failed to make the grade before being binned by Partick.
Major weakness in our team at both full backs - Megwa and MacIntyre can't get in the team, get them in the bin. Under 18's, 19's - bin the lot and save the cash. No point, 19 qnd 20 too young for mens football at Easter road. If you are a young guy looking to develop and play, find yourself a move elsewhere, no chances at Easter Road - we don't support youth in the 1st team though love a wee Euro trip

:top marks

Helensburghhibs
16-01-2023, 09:13 AM

If you mean, 'showed nothing to ever suggest they would make it as a pro, and then came from total obscurity to playing at a high level' like say, Jason Cummings and Ivan Sproule, i'd agree with you, that's quite rare.

But if you mean 'showed plenty ability and promise, scouts were aware of him, got to a big club but then fell off the radar because he never fitted in with a manager's tactical planning, injury, personal circumstances, mental fortitude whatever',
I would disagree, there are absolutely loads of them out there. You dont have to be Arsene Wenger but look at France. get some contacts there, find out what players came out of Clairefontaine, spend money on the right information. Its just one market but its a big one. or choose another market.

We've had this conversation before, but I think you are throwing out the model, (ie-using contacts to invest initially in youth with the aim to develop, sell and invest bigger) which is a sound one, because so far, the 'identifying players' bit has been wrong. This is a medium to long term process, and judging it on whether Bojang can kick a ball or the Reindeer hot dog guy got too carried away with Melkerson on social media is missing the point.

The problem is these guys should be signed with the expectation of breaking through ,, not making an impact in thr first team. The model is fine. The hype around the signings that lead to unrealistic expectations are the problem.

matty_f
16-01-2023, 09:14 AM

I agree with this.
The execution of the strategy has been dreadful but done well, the strategy is good and is one of the few ways we can generate enough income to genuinely grow the team.
You need the right people doing the recruiting though, because that's where we have fallen short now. You also need to give it time. When you buy potential you should give enough time for that potential to materialise, otherwise ecru signing bar the odd exception will look like a failure.

Since452
16-01-2023, 09:43 AM
Let's be honest. Apart from two goals in a cup game against Motherwell last year Melkersen has done nothing of note. We can't afford to be carrying passengers. We need first team ready players who can come on and impact a game. Said it before but if he was lining up for Aberdeen or Hearts against us would anybody be concerned? A loan is absolutely the right thing to do here. A loan with an option to buy would surprise me though unless we've made the decision to punt him and that's the only option we have to get rid.

Greencore
16-01-2023, 09:55 AM
A loan, of course all for it. But option to buy when we gave him a 4 year contract, no way.

J-C
16-01-2023, 09:58 AM

:agree::top marks

JammyDoidger
16-01-2023, 09:59 AM
If we had a B team playing in the lowland league, you'd probably find guys like Melkersen would develop quicker, they are stagnating sitting on our bench. The whole idea of signing guys like him was to break them in through development squad etc, that's been scrapped so they are hanging about like a bad smell wasting away just now. Shame really and it's our clubs fault again.

Greenbeard
16-01-2023, 10:01 AM
Did your mammy serve you cold lumpy porridge and burnt toast this morning?

Greenbeard
16-01-2023, 10:03 AM
Guess McKirdy will be staying then?
Laddie looks like he has no confidence. I suspect if he was playing for the U19s there's a fair chance we'd be raving about him deserving a shot in the first team.

Nakedmanoncrack
16-01-2023, 10:07 AM
A loan, of course all for it. But option to buy when we gave him a 4 year contract, no way.

The ridiculous contract is all the more reason to try to get him permanently off the books.

CapitalGreen
16-01-2023, 10:14 AM
If we had a B team playing in the lowland league, you'd probably find guys like Melkersen would develop quicker, they are stagnating sitting on our bench. The whole idea of signing guys like him was to break them in through development squad etc, that's been scrapped so they are hanging about like a bad smell wasting away just now. Shame really and it's our clubs fault again.

The problem with using the lowland league is players can’t continually move between the first team and the lowland league team.

The Modfather
16-01-2023, 10:24 AM

Coming up with a strategy is the easy bit. Everyone wants to copy a model like Ajax or Benfica, scaled to our level, but there must be a reason no one else has achieved it.

I’d even question the timing of the strategy. We’re stuck in a cycle of churning through players and managers, at a time when there’s not much between any of the teams in the league and the offer of being slightly less rubbish than the rest is group stage football and the money that comes with it. Why we didn’t invest in the here and now for short term sacrifice of the strategy to begin the strategy from a position of strength I don’t know.

The DOF has a hell of a job on his hands to get all elements in sync as from the U19s, first team, development team, signings, managers etc it all feels massively disjointed.

If I was the DOF one of the first things I’d do is ask the manager to justify each signing target. What specific position are you signing him for? What is the plan to get him in the team and how much will he be played? How does he compliment other positions and existing players etc?

Most teams play 1 up front now, when did we expect Melkerson to get game time as that forward? McKirdy can play any of the 3 forward positions, great, but we don’t seem to actually want to use him in any of them. A Jack of all trades master of none type of signing it would seem. I’ll not even go into the midfield or defence.

jeffers
16-01-2023, 10:28 AM
The ridiculous contract is all the more reason to try to get him permanently off the books.

If we pay money for a player, good money in our terms, giving them a two year deal wouldn’t make much sense. So far the Melkersen signing hasn’t worked, looks like it may never, but he’s been badly managed imo. In Maloney’s case he probably didn’t have much option but to keep him with the first team squad, though with hindsight we should have put a player who had never had a single game on grass out on loan immediately. I definitely think Johnson should have at the start of the season.

Stubbsy90+2
16-01-2023, 10:36 AM
Coming up with a strategy is the easy bit. Everyone wants to copy a model like Ajax or Benfica, scaled to our level, but there must be a reason no one else has achieved it.

I’d even question the timing of the strategy. We’re stuck in a cycle of churning through players and managers, at a time when there’s not much between any of the teams in the league and the offer of being slightly less rubbish than the rest is group stage football and the money that comes with it. Why we didn’t invest in the here and now for short term sacrifice of the strategy to begin the strategy from a position of strength I don’t know.

The DOF has a hell of a job on his hands to get all elements in sync as from the U19s, first team, development team, signings, managers etc it all feels massively disjointed.

If I was the DOF one of the first things I’d do is ask the manager to justify each signing target. What specific position are you signing him for? What is the plan to get him in the team and how much will he be played? How does he compliment other positions and existing players etc?

Most teams play 1 up front now, when did we expect Melkerson to get game time as that forward? McKirdy can play any of the 3 forward positions, great, but we don’t seem to actually want to use him in any of them. A Jack of all trades master of none type of signing it would seem. I’ll not even go into the midfield or defence.

:agree:

Choosing to begin our new strategy whilst the first team was in utter chaos was pure stupidity imo.

I don’t like the strategy anyway, but as you said, if you want to do it, you do it from a position of strength. Instead we’re going to watch all these great European positions go to our rivals which is absolutely galling. There trips last year looked incredible and our club has sacrificed that opportunity for us in favour of this development team stuff imo.

I'm Spartacus
16-01-2023, 10:43 AM
Dutch Sites reporting this

At the time this signing left us all scratching our heads, even more so now.

£325k transfer fee and on a 4.5 year deal. 4th Jan 2022 - 16 Jan 2023.

hibsbollah
16-01-2023, 10:45 AM

In terms of justification; I think the DoF will already have identified the player type, the manager will have chosen his target based on that blueprint that the DoF has given him; thats my understanding of how it works anyway?

The other stuff, yes i agree with you about melkerson or mckirdy not fitting into the archetype we're after, thats kind of my point, the delivery has been rubbish. (I ASSUME from what LJ has said he'd been looking for an energetic high pressing wide player in a 4-3-3 to fit into what he says he wants, neither McKirdy or Melkerson looks like that. Youan, slightly more so).

I also agree about the strength of the league at present and the urgency of getting that 3rd place, but to be fair to the evil bassas running our club they DID target some established proven at our level types as well; Boyle, Marshall, McGeady, Magennis (i suppose Magennis was a bit before that but you see the point, its not total dice rolling for future gain.

Green_one
16-01-2023, 10:53 AM
Our basic strategy now seems to be loaning out players with no indication whether they are out to return or just off the books.

This clear our, while appearing to have some attraction, does nothing to improve the first team unless we get better players in. I see no sign of that yet. My impatience is based on past recruitment failures. We bought this boy for a lot of cash in Hibs terms and now a year later he is off. Will he return? Does he want to. Will we get our cash back. Another Norwegian joined, is he of ski soon?

So in summary, our first team is poor, our recruitment is all over the place and our promotion of internal players is lacking. Lost confidence in the whole set up. Hope the U18 smash it as no one else will.

Alternatively, we are about to see the best fortnight of recruitment ever :rolleyes:

I'm Spartacus
16-01-2023, 11:00 AM
Our basic strategy now seems to be loaning out players with no indication whether they are out to return or just off the books.

This clear our, while appearing to have some attraction, does nothing to improve the first team unless we get better players in. I see no sign of that yet. My impatience is based on past recruitment failures. We bought this boy for a lot of cash in Hibs terms and now a year later he is off. Will he return? Does he want to. Will we get our cash back. Another Norwegian joined, is he of ski soon?

So in summary, our first team is poor, our recruitment is all over the place and our promotion of internal players is lacking. Lost confidence in the whole set up. Hope the U18 smash it as no one else will.

Alternatively, we are about to see the best fortnight of recruitment ever :rolleyes:

It tells me that LJ is going nowhere, as you would think Melkerson and Kenneh would be kept for any new manager to cast an eye over.

matty_f
16-01-2023, 11:01 AM

In defence of the timing of the strategy, we brought these players in whilst also bringing in Marshall, McGeady, Boyle and thinking that Magennis was going to be available much sooner than he eventually was.

Our season and squad would be very different if we'd had even just Boyle and McGeady out of those players available until now.

To have lost both, and Magennis was horrible luck but it happened and we have to deal with it, but at the time of putting the squad together, we counted in those players being available.

The plan was never to fill the team with players who only had potential.

Is It On....
16-01-2023, 11:04 AM

Scott Allan, John McGinn, Dylan McGeoch, Marvin Bartley, Martin Boyle = Graham Mathie / George Craig within the first 2 years of their reign..

bigwheel
16-01-2023, 11:04 AM
Guess McKirdy will be staying then?
Laddie looks like he has no confidence. I suspect if he was playing for the U19s there's a fair chance we'd be raving about him deserving a shot in the first team.

He can’t play for another club this season …won’t be moving on anytime soon ….

flash
16-01-2023, 11:19 AM
He can’t play for another club this season …won’t be moving on anytime soon ….

Unless it's back to Swindon......

The Modfather
16-01-2023, 11:20 AM
In defence of the timing of the strategy, we brought these players in whilst also bringing in Marshall, McGeady, Boyle and thinking that Magennis was going to be available much sooner than he eventually was.

Our season and squad would be very different if we'd had even just Boyle and McGeady out of those players available until now.

To have lost both, and Magennis was horrible luck but it happened and we have to deal with it, but at the time of putting the squad together, we counted in those players being available.

The plan was never to fill the team with players who only had potential.

We’ve been unlucky with Boyle & McGeady. However no sympathy for the club if they were relying on this being the season Magennis stays fit at the 3rd season of asking. After addressing the midfield issues over the last 2 1/2 windows with Henderson & Kenneh, who we have loaned out 6 months later.

Add to the fact Melkerson has just wasted a year of his career, and his development, and now leaves on loan looking no closer to being first team ready than when he arrived.

Spending whatever sizeable fee we did on 16 year old Macallister, as an example, while we are still relying on Stevenson & Hanlon who are being hung out to dry being asked to still be first picks. The strategy is admirable but the implementation of it is about as bad as it could have been.

CL0762
16-01-2023, 11:35 AM
The problem with using the lowland league is players can’t continually move between the first team and the lowland league team.

Is that right? I’m sure Rangers have had a couple of players involved in both during the season.

Vault Boy
16-01-2023, 11:41 AM
Patrick McPartland expecting this deal to be completed today. Loan with an option AA.

superfurryhibby
16-01-2023, 11:42 AM
We’ve been unlucky with Boyle & McGeady. However no sympathy for the club if they were relying on this being the season Magennis stays fit at the 3rd season of asking. After addressing the midfield issues over the last 2 1/2 windows with Henderson & Kenneh, who we have loaned out 6 months later.

Add to the fact Melkerson has just wasted a year of his career, and his development, and now leaves on loan looking no closer to being first team ready than when he arrived.

Spending whatever sizeable fee we did on 16 year old Macallister, as an example, while we are still relying on Stevenson & Hanlon who are being hung out to dry being asked to still be first picks. The strategy is admirable but the implementation of it is about as bad as it could have been.

The McAllister situation still strikes me as odd. The laddie was 16 when he signed and fair enough, he wanted to go north with his family. However, he's not even a regular starter for the under 18's and the idea that we paid money for a boy that's not even making an impact on the youth team yet shows how precarious spending cash on talent at that age is.

theonlywayisup
16-01-2023, 11:43 AM
To be honest, I'm not that fussed about whether he goes or stays.

What annoys me more than anything the signing of Maloney as an inexperienced manager and then not backing him by signing experienced professionals. Instead, we sell Boyle and let Halberg and Gogic leave us and replace them with a cast of inexperienced players, Melkerson being one along with Muller, Jasper and Bushiri. I'm glad Maloney left, but our club didn't make it easy for him.

Sadly those responsible are still in position.

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2023, 11:51 AM

Saved me writing a post on this. :agree:

Stubbsy90+2
16-01-2023, 11:55 AM
To be honest, I'm not that fussed about whether he goes or stays.

What annoys me more than anything the signing of Maloney as an inexperienced manager and then not backing him by signing experienced professionals. Instead, we sell Boyle and let Halberg and Gogic leave us and replace them with a cast of inexperienced players, Melkerson being one along with Muller, Jasper and Bushiri. I'm glad Maloney left, but our club didn't make it easy for him.

Sadly those responsible are still in position.

Said that since Maloney left. I really don’t think his time at Hibs told us much about him as a manager, he might well be crap, he might not be. He was thrown under a bus with that squad of players and was only ever going to fail, as would JR, LJ or any other manager.

Have a look at the 15 players that got on the pitch against Hearts at Hampden in his last game. It’s a miracle we even managed to compete.

Sylvester ****ing Jasper, Jesus wept.

CapitalGreen
16-01-2023, 11:55 AM
Is that right? I’m sure Rangers have had a couple of players involved in both during the season.

They probably have. I don't know the exact wording of the rules but it’s along the lines that if a players make 5 first team appearances they can no longer play for the lowland league side until the next transfer window. Which is fine for Rangers and Celtic with massive squads but our younger players would be needed as substitutes.

SteveHFC
16-01-2023, 12:00 PM
Confirmed.

Sparta Rotterdam have an option to purchase Elias for a seven-figure fee.

Glory Lurker
16-01-2023, 12:02 PM
What I don't get is how he can't get a game here but a team that is probably better than us want him.

hibee-boys
16-01-2023, 12:04 PM
Confirmed.

Wait…..what……is that a typo? 7 figures😳

hibsbollah
16-01-2023, 12:04 PM
Option to purchase 'for a seven figure fee'.

Thats them making it clear we havent flogged him off on the cheap.
Also fairly glowing quotes from LJ compared to the Bojang release.

Chorley Hibee
16-01-2023, 12:08 PM
Wait…..what……is that a typo? 7 figures😳

So he's coming back then.

Cannot see anyone forking out a million quid plus for Melkersen. He'd need to show a hell of a lot more than what I've seen so far.

Jones28
16-01-2023, 12:10 PM
I was critical but that is decent business. He comes back more experienced and if he doesn’t we bag over a million for him.

HIBS NUTS
16-01-2023, 12:12 PM
So he's coming back then.

Cannot see anyone forking out a million quid plus for Melkersen. He'd need to show a hell of a lot more than what I've seen so far.

Mabye it’s a million pence.

Stairway 2 7
16-01-2023, 12:13 PM
What I don't get is how he can't get a game here but a team that is probably better than us want him.

Potential. Scouts aren't the hibs.net experts. At the same age Derek Riordan was at Cowdenbeath after playing 9 games and scoring zero goals in his first season for hibs.

H18 SFR
16-01-2023, 12:14 PM
Better team from a better league in a better footballing nation sign our young player - majority of contributors…he’s pish.

Sir David Gray
16-01-2023, 12:17 PM

That's what I'm wondering too.

Fir Park cup game aside, for me he's shown next to nothing to suggest he's good enough to play for a side in the bottom 6 in Scotland, never mind a team fighting for a European place in the Netherlands and who need to fork out at least £1 million to buy him in 6 months' time.

I will watch his progress with interest and wish him all the best.

DH1875
16-01-2023, 12:18 PM
I defo think there is a player there. Only need to look at his movement, run for Nisbet 2nd goal at the weekend. Would 100% have him in my squad ahead of McKirdy.

JohnM1875
16-01-2023, 12:18 PM
Better team from a better league in a better footballing nation sign our young player - majority of contributors…he’s pish.

Are Sparta Rotterdam better than us?

Willis1875
16-01-2023, 12:19 PM

Livingston are better than us at the moment

J-C
16-01-2023, 12:20 PM
This recent strategy of getting rid of these young talented players is baffling, at what point were they ever going to get regular game time, considering we've been pish all season. I can see a lot of young talented players avoiding Hibs in the future, there's little chance of developing.

Brightside
16-01-2023, 12:21 PM
Saved me writing a post on this. :agree:

LJ said he was a £5m player a few weeks ago. :greengrin. There must be potential there.

Stubbsy90+2
16-01-2023, 12:23 PM

Fulham gave Sylvester Jasper a contract. He was absolutely pish.

Northernhibee
16-01-2023, 12:25 PM
He’s had a year. No league goals, offers nothing to the team and although his attitude is decent he’d not be a standout in league one or two in this country.

Not his fault, but an almighty waste of money.

ScottB
16-01-2023, 12:25 PM

They’re 6th in the Eredivisie, so… yes?

JohnM1875
16-01-2023, 12:26 PM
They’re 6th in the Eredivisie, so… yes?

Finished 14th out of 18 last year. Plenty pish teams in the Dutch league.

CL0762
16-01-2023, 12:26 PM
He’s had a year. No league goals, offers nothing to the team and although his attitude is decent he’d not be a standout in league one or two in this country.

Not his fault, but an almighty waste of money.

Wouldn’t be a standout in the Scottish league 1 or league 2?

Jeezy peeps man

hibsbollah
16-01-2023, 12:46 PM

Theyve got deGuzman, Rekik playing for them, lots of players who appear to be rated at around £1million by transfermarket website, they look theyve got a bigger player budget than us, thats for sure.

Unseen work
16-01-2023, 12:50 PM
One of the most concerning things for me with Melkersen is the lack of chances he gets

Scored 3 goals and other than that I’m struggling, he missed an absolute sitter against United last season that would have got us too 6 iirc.

But you look at Nisbet or other strikers that shift the ball and get a strike away, I rarely remember him doing that.

Whenever he gets the ball in or around the box I never have any hope that a goal is coming, when a cross comes in I don’t expect him to be on the end of it.

Seems mental when you think what his first 2 goals were like.

I'm Spartacus
16-01-2023, 12:51 PM
Confirmed.

So we are now in the situation where I am more concerned about Sparta Rotterdam being successful than Hibs?

It's very strange they potentially see something worthy of a 7 figure purchase. But then if he's Tom Kite he's back and worth £0.00.

scoopyboy
16-01-2023, 12:56 PM
Confirmed.

Seven figure fee!!!!!!!!!!

No way they will pay a million pounds for him.

If they do then the buy cheap sell big policy is certainly working:greengrin

Iain G
16-01-2023, 12:57 PM

No way they will pay a million pounds or him.

Could be £9m! :greengrin

Northernhibee
16-01-2023, 01:06 PM
Wouldn’t be a standout in the Scottish league 1 or league 2?

Jeezy peeps man
He wouldn’t. Finishing poor, not that quick, not very strong. In this country he’s going to struggle.

Motherwell aside he’s looked utterly out of his depth, missed a couple of sitters and been completely anonymous otherwise.

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2023, 01:35 PM
He wouldn’t. Finishing poor, not that quick, not very strong. In this country he’s going to struggle.

Motherwell aside he’s looked utterly out of his depth, missed a couple of sitters and been completely anonymous otherwise.

Would absolutely skoosh league 1 or 2.

CabbageMatt
16-01-2023, 01:35 PM
This is a great deal IMO…it’s a win win, he either comes back a much better player with minutes in him, or we get a million to bolster the squad.

CockneyRebel
16-01-2023, 01:37 PM
Livingston are better than us at the moment

:greengrin

The Baldmans Comb
16-01-2023, 01:37 PM
The player has struggled enough with both form and fitness without Hibs putting more pressure on him with this "seven figure sum" tag around his neck in order to appease their own conscience as its clearly a player the manager doesn't fancy at all.

Absolutely no reason to make this public just to cover the fact that this was a hyped up signing who just hasn't lived up to his potential.

By all means get him game time on loan as he is only 20 years old but let him develop naturally rather than as a cash cow commodity.

wookie70
16-01-2023, 01:42 PM
I think he will do well if given the chance. He struggled with the physicality in our league and never had enough opportunity to work out how to avoid or cope with that type of contact. Technically he looked decent and he showed he can finish too. If he had been given half a dozen games playing through the middle and failed then it would be easy to say he will never make it in Scotland but he never really had a good run through the middle. I hope he gets back to playing as he is a lovely lad and deserves the chance to prove he can play. He wasn't getting that here.

MelbourneHibees
16-01-2023, 01:44 PM
This is a great deal IMO…it’s a win win, he either comes back a much better player with minutes in him, or we get a million to bolster the squad.

Or he comes back not a better player?

eastmainsmsh
16-01-2023, 01:48 PM
Scandinavians seem to do well in Dutch league over years might suit Melkerson more time will tell

Saint Hibee
16-01-2023, 01:49 PM
I think he will do well if given the chance. He struggled with the physicality in our league and never had enough opportunity to work out how to avoid or cope with that type of contact. Technically he looked decent and he showed he can finish too. If he had been given half a dozen games playing through the middle and failed then it would be easy to say he will never make it in Scotland but he never really had a good run through the middle. I hope he gets back to playing as he is a lovely lad and deserves the chance to prove he can play. He wasn't getting that here.

This 100%. He was barely given any game time and when he was, it was out of position. I'm convinced he'll come good and hopefully this loan gives him the chance to prove it.

overdrive
16-01-2023, 01:50 PM

Or he doesn’t play much and he comes back low on confidence.

Since452
16-01-2023, 01:52 PM
If he'd scored that tap in against Dundee United and we'd finished top six then Maloney may have kept his job so he did do something right. Delighted he's away. Shame he couldn't take McKirdy with him and some of the other dross we've signed recently.

FitbaFolkKen
16-01-2023, 01:59 PM

However the third option is that he doesn’t get game time and is sent back to us having not played much at all.

Hopefully he succeeds as I like him.

FitbaFolkKen
16-01-2023, 02:01 PM
The player has struggled enough with both form and fitness without Hibs putting more pressure on him with this "seven figure sum" tag around his neck in order to appease their own conscience as its clearly a player the manager doesn't fancy at all.

Absolutely no reason to make this public just to cover the fact that this was a hyped up signing who just hasn't lived up to his potential.

By all means get him game time on loan as he is only 20 years old but let him develop naturally rather than as a cash cow commodity.

It’s not their conscience, it’s to appease us as there is so much scrutiny on the transfer dealings and Ian Gordon.

Unseen work
16-01-2023, 02:03 PM
If he'd scored that tap in against Dundee United and we'd finished top six then Maloney may have kept his job so he did do something right. Delighted he's away. Shame he couldn't take McKirdy with him and some of the other dross we've signed recently.

I actually feel terrible for Maloney and how he was treated.

First management role at Hibs and he was told he’d have a long term project

Nisbet gets injured and now look at the players we got in and allowed to leave

In
Sylvester Jasper
Elias Melkersen
Chris Mueller
Demi Mitchell
Rocky Bushiri
Euan Henderson
Harry Clarke

Out
Martin Boyle
Melker Hallberg
Jamie Murphy
Alexander Gogic

No wonder we couldn’t buy a goal under Maloney!! Absolutely horrendous squad he had to try and manage

Iain G
16-01-2023, 02:03 PM
Scandinavians seem to do well in Dutch league over years might suit Melkerson more time will tell

It could be Rotterdam, or anywhere, Liverpool or Rome, as long as he gets game time, when he's on this loan...

Is It On....
16-01-2023, 02:05 PM

No way they will pay a million pounds for him.

Could be in NOK..

RIP
16-01-2023, 02:09 PM
Since Kevin came back the one 'plan' seems to be 'gie the ball to Nisbet'. Newell, Youan and Campbell (when played in midfield) have all contributed assists in recent weeks.

When Elie, Elias and Mykola first played up front for Hibs, I watched them making runs or shaping to make a run, time and time again. In their previous clubs or a Hibs side with a player like Scott Allan, there would have been a supply of through balls or balls over the top. But as these players found, the supply was either non existent or poorly executed. Not enough 'Football IQ' or 'ability' i.e. no other player was 'seeing' the runs.

So Johnson tried Elias as the 'go beyond' striker (10) to work off a target man (9). But he then played them too far apart to operate as twin strikers.

If Elias goes to Holland and they play him in a better shape, he may develop more quickly as a number 10. Here's hoping.

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2023, 02:16 PM

Or he comes back just as sheite as he went, and we have the remainder of his contract still to go.

Scotty Leither
16-01-2023, 02:20 PM

David Forsyth isn’t writing these press releases is he? It’s got his dabs all over it.

eastmainsmsh
16-01-2023, 02:21 PM
It could be Rotterdam, or anywhere, Liverpool or Rome, as long as he gets game time, when he's on this loan...

Lol Brilliant

MagicSwirlingShip
16-01-2023, 02:21 PM
The only plausible scenario I can put together in my head is that Sparta Rotterdam scouted him before he came to Hibs.

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2023, 02:26 PM
Since Kevin came back the one 'plan' seems to be 'gie the ball to Nisbet'. Newell, Youan and Campbell (when played in midfield) have all contributed assists in recent weeks.

When Elie, Elias and Mykola first played up front for Hibs, I watched them making runs or shaping to make a run, time and time again. In their previous clubs or a Hibs side with a player like Scott Allan, there would have been a supply of through balls or balls over the top. But as these players found, the supply was either non existent or poorly executed. Not enough 'Football IQ' or 'ability' i.e. no other player was 'seeing' the runs.

So Johnson tried Elias as the 'go beyond' striker (10) to work off a target man (9). But he then played them too far apart to operate as twin strikers.

If Elias goes to Holland and they play him in a better shape, he may develop more quickly as a number 10. Here's hoping.

Or could it be that Nisbet actually creates his own chances? The 2 on Saturday were very little to do with the supply.

It's a bit of a cop out to blame our strikes woes on service. Youan especially should have 4 or 5 goals minimum this season.

GreenPJ
16-01-2023, 02:33 PM

JohnM1875
16-01-2023, 02:45 PM
The only plausible scenario I can put together in my head is that Sparta Rotterdam scouted him before he came to Hibs.

Was thinking that could have been it as well.

CapitalGreen
16-01-2023, 02:55 PM
Or could it be that Nisbet actually creates his own chances? The 2 on Saturday were very little to do with the supply.

It's a bit of a cop out to blame our strikes woes on service. Youan especially should have 4 or 5 goals minimum this season.

Can I quote you on the bolded part on the Newell thread? 😉

Seriously though, since the World Cup we have definitely been getting the ball forward quicker. Nisbet’s goal v Rangers, his 2nd and 3rd v Motherwell and his 1st v Dun Utd were all a result of us playing more direct in getting the ball up to players in forward positions quicker rather than knocking it around in midfield. Probably the only positive of the Porteous midfield experiment was his willingness and ability to pass or drive forward.

Arturo Duncano
16-01-2023, 02:57 PM

Beautiful

:not worth

overdrive
16-01-2023, 02:59 PM

:greengrin

Hibbyradge
16-01-2023, 03:04 PM
Mabye it’s a million pence.

£10000.00 is 7 figures.

Hibbyradge
16-01-2023, 03:08 PM

The posters are pickled for sure...

Tambo
16-01-2023, 03:24 PM
Good luck for the rest of the season, seems a nice guy.

Would hope Laidlaw or O'connor will be promoted to the bench now going forward in the season.

Nisbet could bail us out until Myko returns.

Stubbsy90+2
16-01-2023, 03:25 PM
Good luck for the rest of the season, seems a nice guy.

Would hope Laidlaw or O'connor will be promoted to the bench now going forward in the season.

Nisbet could bail us out until Myko returns.
They’ll have to be id think or else our bench will have McKirdy and no other attacking options.

16-01-2023, 03:31 PM

Told you someone'd get a tune out of him.

leith lynx
16-01-2023, 03:33 PM

Hopefully it's just a little time before everybody's talking about him.

Nakedmanoncrack
16-01-2023, 04:23 PM
Option to purchase 'for a seven figure fee'.

Thats them making it clear we havent flogged him off on the cheap.
Also fairly glowing quotes from LJ compared to the Bojang release.

Its a laughable attempt at the above.

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2023, 05:34 PM
Can I quote you on the bolded part on the Newell thread? 😉

Seriously though, since the World Cup we have definitely been getting the ball forward quicker. Nisbet’s goal v Rangers, his 2nd and 3rd v Motherwell and his 1st v Dun Utd were all a result of us playing more direct in getting the ball up to players in forward positions quicker rather than knocking it around in midfield. Probably the only positive of the Porteous midfield experiment was his willingness and ability to pass or drive forward.

Honestly, I don't agree. Its a result of having a forward who can actually finish chances. The amount we created sorta pre Celtic away were unreal.

Livi should've scored 2 or 3. Dundee United away, 2 or 3. Kilmarnock at home 4 or 5 easily.

Nisbet is levels above Youan, Bojang, and even Boyle as a striker.

CapitalGreen
16-01-2023, 05:55 PM
Honestly, I don't agree. Its a result of having a forward who can actually finish chances. The amount we created sorta pre Celtic away were unreal.

Livi should've scored 2 or 3. Dundee United away, 2 or 3. Kilmarnock at home 4 or 5 easily.

Nisbet is levels above Youan, Bojang, and even Boyle as a striker.

Yet Nisbet struggled last season under Maloney and Ross when our build up play was slow and laborious. Of course having Nisbet back is making a big difference but it’s coupled with playing in a manner which better suits his game.

cabbageandribs1875
16-01-2023, 06:32 PM
good luck to the young man anyway

https://scontent.fman1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/324088288_2399663543517987_7999372244782408460_n.j pg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=B5e8m8miqdcAX8uOWZX&_nc_ht=scontent.fman1-1.fna&oh=00_AfDmyGQnX4JlR7iRHQOVQ_0e2GO1730iwS4xqR4PkuM1 BA&oe=63CB2ED4

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2023, 07:00 PM
Yet Nisbet struggled last season under Maloney and Ross when our build up play was slow and laborious. Of course having Nisbet back is making a big difference but it’s coupled with playing in a manner which better suits his game.

Oh yes, certainly compared to Maloney. We went hours without a shot under him.

loanheadhibby
16-01-2023, 07:19 PM
I was critical but that is decent business. He comes back more experienced and if he doesn’t we bag over a million for him.

Come on more like a million dolly mixtures.
We bag over a million for him - surely you don't buy that.

basehibby
16-01-2023, 07:31 PM
Good luck to Elias - my hope is that he bangs in a good few - gets lots of game time in those legs - and returns to the Hibees to become a legendary goalscoring striker!

He certainly has talent and hopefully he'll get the chance to show it.

JammyDoidger
16-01-2023, 07:45 PM
This is mental, reeks of panic stations and trying to get people off the wage bill for a short term fix, long term plan out the window now. How is Melkersen going to set the heather alight for a team 6th in the Eredevise when he can't get off our bench? HIbs will sign some other unproven diddy on loan now.

LunasBoots
16-01-2023, 07:54 PM
Don't think we'll see him again, good luck to him whatever happens.

Lago
16-01-2023, 08:05 PM
Nor me better league, arguably a better club, their coaches must see something, I'll watch his progress with interest.

Iain G
16-01-2023, 08:37 PM
This is mental, reeks of panic stations and trying to get people off the wage bill for a short term fix, long term plan out the window now. How is Melkersen going to set the heather alight for a team 6th in the Eredevise when he can't get off our bench? HIbs will sign some other unproven diddy on loan now.

So Sparta are panicking? Or did we force them somehow to sign him on loan and agree to a decent first option fee 🤣

basehibby
16-01-2023, 09:40 PM

Sounds like a mutually agreeable deal to me. Hibs have almost too many options up front right now - including a newly returned Scotland striker firing on all cylinders. Perhaps Sparta Rotterdam are in the opposite situation whereby a promising young striker might see a bit more match time.

Right now Melks is up vs Nisbet, Youan, Miko, McGeady and McKirdy for a spot up front - hopefully a spell in the EirieDivision will bring him on. Bear in mind he is not getting sold at this stage - come summer he will still quite likely be a Hibs player.

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2023, 09:39 AM

How does loaning someone out reek of panic? The guy has been pretty poor bar one game since he signed.

Maybe the club recognise this, and getting him off the wage bill free's up a fair bit of cash that hopefully will be used elsewhere on better.

Perhaps we should just have kept him and hoped he might come good sometime in the next 3 and a half years?
How do you think the long term plan was going?

Lago
17-01-2023, 06:04 PM
How does loaning someone out reek of panic? The guy has been pretty poor bar one game since he signed.

Maybe the club recognise this, and getting him off the wage bill free's up a fair bit of cash that hopefully will be used elsewhere on better.

Perhaps we should just have kept him and hoped he might come good sometime in the next 3 and a half years?
How do you think the long term plan was going?
I think he'll do well in a better footballing environment, good luck to the boy.

Donegal Hibby
18-01-2023, 09:27 AM
Read that Melkersen blame's the lack of chances created by Hibs for his goal drought which I'd agree with to be fair .

Brightside
18-01-2023, 09:31 AM
Read that Melkersen blame's the lack of chances created by Hibs for his goal drought which I'd agree with to be fair .

I think every striker would say that. Niz could score 30 a season at Celtic for example.

MWHIBBIES
18-01-2023, 09:31 AM

Rubbish really. Would he have scored the 2 Kev did Vs DU? No chance. Better quality player creates his own goals.

Melkersen has potential and I wish him well, but can't be blaming others and taking no responsibility.

MWHIBBIES
18-01-2023, 09:32 AM
I think every striker would say that. Niz could score 30 a season at Celtic for example.

Doubt that. Being the star of Hibs team is different from being another body at Celtic. Jack Grealish spoke about this recently.

Shrekko
18-01-2023, 09:33 AM

Ah the old 'lack of service' argument.

He's had a few laid on a plate that he's missed.

Also sometimes strikers need to create chances for themselves. Did Kevin Nisbet have anything handed to him on Saturday? Martin Boyle seems to manage to score regularly for Hibs as well...

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2023, 09:39 AM

Apart from that 1st game against Motherwell, he's struggled to make any impression at all, either starting or coming on as a sub.

For someone we paid good money for, and were told he was a future star, he's shown nothing bar that game mentioned to say to me at least, he will make it at Hibs.

I wish him well, i hope he goes there and rips the place up and we get the kind of fee thats been mentioned.

Greenio
18-01-2023, 09:45 AM
I read that article too.

Awful journalism. They quoted him as saying this 'We didn't create many chances and the team didn't do as well as we wanted, so yes that was a reason I didn't score many goals.'

Then they take that one comment (which was something clearly put to him by the guy) and then spin it with a 'blame game' headline and load of extra fluff to amp up the falsehood. He even said 'a' reason, not 'the reason'

It's in The S*n ffs - dont buy into that nonsense for a second

Since452
18-01-2023, 09:52 AM

I'd blame his poor finishing and composure. Nisbet doesn't seem to have a problem. Wasn't so long ago we were regularly having 24/25 shots on goal each game. Our shots to goals ratio must be horrendous this season. Melkersen has had plenty goal scoring opportunities. Can't have every chance laid on a plate for you and even when he did (Dundee United last season off the top of my head) he missed.

CapitalGreen
18-01-2023, 09:56 AM
I'd blame his poor finishing and composure. Nisbet doesn't seem to have a problem.

Nisbet’s had an extra 6 years to work on his tbf. At Melkerson’s age he was being released by Partick Thistle.

Stairway 2 7
18-01-2023, 10:12 AM
Nisbet’s had an extra 6 years to work on his tbf. At Melkerson’s age he was being released by Partick Thistle.

Yep and Riordan had scored 0 in 9 games and was about to get sent to Cowdenbeath. Bet the experts were saying both were pish

sleeping giant
18-01-2023, 12:54 PM
Yep and Riordan had scored 0 in 9 games and was about to get sent to Cowdenbeath. Bet the experts were saying both were pish

Blooby tried to swap Deek for some centre half from Inverness who's name escapes me.

CallumLaidlaw
18-01-2023, 12:56 PM
Blooby tried to swap Deek for some centre half from Inverness who's name escapes me.

Bobby Mann

eastmainsmsh
18-01-2023, 01:26 PM
Bobby Mann

Can’t understand why that fell through lol

HoboHarry
18-01-2023, 01:28 PM

Tyler Durden
18-01-2023, 02:00 PM
I don't see much wrong in what Melkersen said re chances being created.

Under Maloney there was next to nothing created. The Dundee Utd open goal was certainly one that he should have put away. Another bad miss against St Johnstone on final day of the season I think. That was about it.

This season he was typically used at right wing and just hasn't had the game time. Can't really think of any chances he missed this season.

Hopefully he gets more chance at Rotterdam and we review in the summer.

KWJ
18-01-2023, 02:04 PM

Riordan did go to Cowdenbeath, started well and was called back. Was it not Whittaker that Boabby was trying to shift for his namesake, maybe both :rolleyes:

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-01-2023, 02:11 PM
Riordan did go to Cowdenbeath, started well and was called back. Was it not Whittaker that Boabby was trying to shift for his namesake, maybe both :rolleyes:

Think he was trying to swap both Deeks and Whitty for Bobby Mann [emoji85][emoji23] Would have been up there with one of the worst ever pieces of business