PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Dundee Utd 14 01 23)

Jonnyboy
14-01-2023, 06:41 PM
I’m still thawing out after sitting for ninety freezing minutes watching Hibs snatch a draw at the death against a Dundee United side that, despite bettering us for a good hour, decided to the sit back and let us have possession. It was a baffling decision as Hibs were offering little threat going forward whilst looking suspect at the back but, thanks to Kevin Nisbet, it was a decision their manager will no doubt regret.

With Chris Cadden missing through injury and Paul Hanlon just missing, Lee Johnson made to me at least, the baffling decision to put Josh Campbell in at right back despite the fact that it was obvious for all to see at Motherwell, Josh is not and never will be a right back. Adding to Campbell’s difficulty was the fact that he would be facing the pacy Glenn Middleton and the one time Hibs loanee proved to be a hot handful for our makeshift right back. Another United player who had graced the green and white in years gone by was Steven Fletcher and I could count on one hand the number of times he didn’t win the ball in the air against our pairing of Fish and Bushiri.

With the wind howling it was United that started the better and inside the first minute, ex Hearts man Arnaud Djoum forced Marshall into a save and that set the pattern for the opening exchanges. Around five minutes in, United were awarded a throw in some twenty yards from goal on their right hand side and the taker found Djoum who had run unopposed into the penalty area where he chipped a ball into the middle which was helped on its way by Fletcher before arriving at the feet of Middleton. The United man was allowed to take a touch, steady himself and then fire the ball into the net. That last action happened inside our six yard box and yet nobody in green and white was able to stop the shot being taken.

Five minutes later, a five minutes in which Hibs were struggling to get any sort of meaningful possession, Youan cleverly made a bit of space for himself but then wildly hammered his shot high over the bar. Newell was next to try his luck, but the effort was blocked before arriving at the feet of Magennis who thundered a shot off the crossbar with the United keeper rooted to the spot.

The flow of the game was predominantly towards the Hibs goal as the hosts struggled to win any duels in the midfield area and it was Fletcher who came closest to increasing United’s lead, first with a header that just missed Marshall’s right hand post and then a left footed shot which Bushiri did well to block before Harkes was also closed down just as he made to get a shot away. The unrest in the home stands was becoming audible and Lee Johnson decided to alter the formation by bringing Porteous back into defence where he formed a three with Fish and Bushiri which resulted in Campbell and Stevenson pushing high to make a midfield five.

Within a couple of minutes of that change, Hibs were level. A long diagonal pass found Campbell on the wide right and his quick pass inside to Nisbet allowed the Hibs striker to fire a shot across Birighitti and into the far corner. This should have lifted the mood but within five minutes, United struck again. A failure by the midfield to close down Freeman allowed the United man to swing a ball across to their right where Harkes stepped inside Stevenson to get his shot away. The ball deflected off Lewis and hit the top corner of the net. It was poor from Lewis and Hibs paid the price.

The next action of any note came when McGeady found time to get a long range shot away, but it was blocked before troubling the goalkeeper. With five minutes of the half remaining, a Middleton corner found the head of Fletcher, but Marshall was equal to the challenge and saved by conceding another corner which came to nothing. When Youan cleverly found Nisbet with a cushioned header, the Hibs No.15 had a snap shot at goal but got no power in it and Birighitti saved easily. Next, Newell needlessly conceded a corner and this time Middleton’s cross found the head of Edwards, but the big defender sent his header wide of the target.

I was really surprised when Hibs came out for the second half showing no changes in personnel. To my mind there were at least three players who should have been replaced but, presumably Lee Johnson had said his piece and was happy enough that Hibs could still get a positive result. Nisbet almost gave the manager a chance to satisfy himself that his call was correct, but Kevin was at a difficult angle and the keeper collected the shot easily. Just moments later, Harkes spurned a glorious opportunity by firing high from close range and then Magennis was booked for hauling down Middleton in full flight down the left.

Youan had been busy but frustrated the home support with his habit of trying to beat everybody rather than lift his head and look for a team mate. Youan it was though that seemed to concern the United defenders enough to have two and sometime three facing him when he had the ball. Liam Smith had a shot blocked by Porteous and then Djoum was booked for a crude challenge on Campbell. Shortly after, Magennis and Fish were replaced by McKirdy and Doyle-Hayes resulting in Stevenson dropping into the back three.

For reasons only someone in the Dundee United camp could explain, the visitors decided to just stop attacking and sit on the lead they had earned. This allowed Hibs to have far more of the ball, but they were making heavy weather of creating decent chances to score. Campbell twice and Bushiri had half chances, but neither could find the target as United settled into time wasting mode. Birighitti was a serial offender and referee Colin Steven warned him on numerous occasions to little effect.

Somewhat bizarrely it was all Hibs now but there was little guile in their play and a deep defending opposition wasn’t greatly troubled. Nisbet and Youan both had efforts thwarted before Melkersen joined the fray. McKirdy crashed a shot off the crossbar but even if that had gone in it wouldn’t have counted because there had been an earlier offside. Next came a moment of madness when a long ball into the Hibs box should have been dealt with by Marshall but the keeper hesitated and in trying to stave off the danger, Bushiri headed it past the keeper but thankfully past the post too.

Hibs were chucking everyone forward and there were howls of disbelief when only three minutes of added time were announced. After a flurry of substitutions and countless occasions of time wasting by United there should have been at least five minutes added. As it turned out, there was time enough for that elusive equaliser when Newell fed Nisbet just inside the box. Kev had work to do and made a brilliant job of it by eluding his marker and striking a ferocious shot past Birighitti to earn Hibs a precious point.

This was a difficult watch on a bitterly cold and wet afternoon but, over the piece, I felt we deserved the outcome. Questions will and should be raised about Lee Johnson’s initial selection but I’ve no doubt he’ll be happy with the determination of his players if not their performance. It’s Hearts next and no doubt Neilson will have been watching from the stand.

The players

Marshall – His hesitation in coming for a ball that was clearly his to collect very nearly cost us a third goal and defeat.

Campbell – I’ve read the expression ‘hung out to dry’ many times and I honestly believe Johnson did that to Campbell by playing him at right back. Thankfully the manager eventually changed the set up and I’d bet Josh was a relieved man when he did.

Fish – Struggled with the high ball and yet his overall defending was far from poor.

Bushiri – Fletcher gave him a rough ride.

Stevenson – Poor display from Lewis and his reaction at their second goal said a lot as he trooped away head in hands.

Porteous – A couple of early pass attempts got the nerves fluttering but once he went back to central defence, he was fine. I was puzzled at full time when he went straight down the tunnel without shaking anyone’s hand.

Youan – Always looked threatening but didn’t deliver often enough.

Magennis – Fantastic shot off the bar. Thought he looked as though he’s still getting back to full fitness.

Newell – One or two lovely through ball’s but not a lot else.

McGeady – Footwork is impressive, but I thought he faded long before he was replaced.

Nisbet – Two cracking goals and a fantastic workrate and attitude wins him my man of the match award.

Doyle-Hayes – When he came on, we were enjoying a lot of the ball and I thought his input was positive for the most part.

McKirdy – I was really unkind last week when I said ‘send him home’ but that was out of frustration. Today I felt sorry for him because he makes lots of excellent runs in to space and never gets picked out.

Melkersen – Worked hard but I’m pretty sure he’d been on for a good five minutes before he even touched the ball.

Lee Johnson – Lots of work to do before the Hearts game because if we start like we did today we’ll be in trouble.

Referee – Colin Steven, sporting a top very similar to Dundee United’s home kit, made a number of quite baffling decisions.

easty
14-01-2023, 06:43 PM
I think you’ve been massively kind to quite a few in your write up this week

lyonhibs
14-01-2023, 06:53 PM
Subs made a difference and I thought Rocky did well against the experience of Fletcher.

Campbell was dire, I mean he tries right enough but his use of the ball is dreadful. Beckenbauer Porteous at CB wasn't up to much as far as building from the back goes and the less said about Lewis and Newell's distribution the better.

Without Nesbit we are a poor, poor team utterly devoid of anything approaching star quality

Deek9
14-01-2023, 07:05 PM
Was baffled by the decision to play McGeady central. He's far better out wide. Thought Utd were nothing special but we were still fortunate to get a point.

HIBS NUTS
14-01-2023, 07:10 PM
We can talk all day about individual players, but we now look like a team of individuals flung together.
Im delighted we got a draw, because we look like a team more likely to finish near the bottom of the league than the top.

GreenCastle
14-01-2023, 07:30 PM
Magennis hitting the bar 1st half and McKirdy offside shot which nearly went in would have been wonder goals.

LewysGot2
14-01-2023, 07:34 PM
If we (he) persists with putting the bizarre bandaid of Porto in the middle next week then we'll be done. Put players in their best positions. If Porto is off and today was some sort of succession planning then don't bother next week. If Porto is available next Sunday then put him beside Rocky at centre half where he can play facing the game and not be asked to be a 360 player with a range of passes akin to Steven Gerrard. He's a fish out of water against decent midfielders and we need him in his most effective position if we are to have a chance of progressing.

Today we lacked energy, hard work and leadership. Wily old Fletch taught Rocky a wee lesson in positioning and football awareness. I really wish Youan had more desire and street about him. He's "too nice" and could be really effective for bigger parts of play if he switched on and was more competitive. Sometimes he put on the after burners and anticipates play but often he's just not quite fully switched on. Develop that desire, pal.

I'm relieved we got a point but I really didn't see it happening.

HIBS NUTS
14-01-2023, 07:36 PM
Magennis hitting the bar 1st half and McKirdy offside shot which nearly went in would have been wonder goals.
Your clutching at shaws , we were rubbish.

GreenCastle
14-01-2023, 07:39 PM
Your clutching at shaws , we were rubbish.

We are - never said we were good and would happily change the manager tomorrow.

IberianHibernian
14-01-2023, 07:40 PM
Thought JDH made a difference when he came on . I think we`ve missed him and hope he stays .

CB Hibs 68
14-01-2023, 07:43 PM

No way Hibs deserved a point.Usually agree with your match reports but on this occasion you are wrong.LJ is a charlatan.Doesn’t have a clue.Playing Campbell at right back again .Why?

GreenCastle
14-01-2023, 07:43 PM
Thought JDH made a difference when he came on . I think we`ve missed him and hope he stays .

Don’t forget all the JDH / Campbell and Newell threads which used to be posted on here - 3 of them struggle to play well together.

scoopyboy
14-01-2023, 07:49 PM
What do you mean by the comment that Hanlon was just missing JC?

B.H.F.C
14-01-2023, 07:50 PM
If we (he) persists with putting the bizarre bandaid of Porto in the middle next week then we'll be done. Put players in their best positions. If Porto is off and today was some sort of succession planning then don't bother next week. If Porto is available next Sunday then put him beside Rocky at centre half where he can play facing the game and not be asked to be a 360 player with a range of passes akin to Steven Gerrard. He's a fish out of water against decent midfielders and we need him in his most effective position if we are to have a chance of progressing.

Today we lacked energy, hard work and leadership. Wily old Fletch taught Rocky a wee lesson in positioning and football awareness. I really wish Youan had more desire and street about him. He's "too nice" and could be really effective for bigger parts of play if he switched on and was more competitive. Sometimes he put on the after burners and anticipates play but often he's just not quite fully switched on. Develop that desire, pal.

I'm relieved we got a point but I really didn't see it happening.

We cannot sell Porteous this week. I hope we get a centre half in this week to play with him next week, rather than instead of.

Billy Whizz
14-01-2023, 07:52 PM
John liked your report!
One thing I’ll say is the players gave everything to get an equaliser
Bizarre team positions though

LewysGot2
14-01-2023, 07:52 PM
We cannot sell Porteous this week. I hope we get a centre half in this week to play with him next week, rather than instead of.

I hope we don't. I hope the club don't. I hope he wants to be a Hibs player on 22nd January. And I hope he's at centre half that day.

It's the hope that kills us though

Hermit Crab
14-01-2023, 08:01 PM
I cant believe you felt we deserved a point. Utd were robbed today.

scoopyboy
14-01-2023, 08:07 PM

They brought it on themselves with time wasting and defending deeper and deeper, if they kept playing the way they had been they would have won.

For all that Hibs were rubbish today I couldn't fault the players for their effort and that's what helped us get a point.

Billy Whizz
14-01-2023, 08:08 PM
They brought it on themselves with time wasting and defending deeper and deeper, if they kept playing the way they had been they would have won.

For all that Hibs were rubbish today I couldn't fault the players for their effort and that's what helped us get a point.

That’s what I said above too, you can’t fault the team effort of the team

greenlex
14-01-2023, 08:11 PM

Stats and result say otherwise .

IberianHibernian
14-01-2023, 08:14 PM
Don’t forget all the JDH / Campbell and Newell threads which used to be posted on here - 3 of them struggle to play well together.It`s hard to write anything positive about any player here without getting " could hardly be worse than others " type comments . At the time Ross signed JDH it didn`t seem like a signing to get excited about ( far from it probably ) but given his age and fact he doesn`t seem to be injury prone ( despite recent absence from team ) it was probably a more realistic signing than signing old players with fitness doubts given financial limitations for non OF Scottish clubs . I think he was improving with Maloney and hopefully he`ll stay and start improving again whoever is our manager for the rest of the season . As for the not playing JDH , Campbell and Newell together , with multi substitutions now , 3 players are rarely together for 90 minutes . Next week Newell`s suspended . More importantly , Campbell is not the same player he was a year ago and JDH could become a much better player . Depends a lot on other players in the team too .

hibee-boys

Must’ve been watching a different game, usual pedestrian sideways/backwards passing from him🤷🏼

easty

Effort was there, quality wasn’t.

Nisbet aside, everything just looked difficult for our players today.

Tyler Durden
14-01-2023, 08:17 PM
Hibs were awful but we still merited a draw.

If I was a Dundee Utd fan I would be raging that they sat back and invited us on. They seemed to have little interest in scoring again

ehf
14-01-2023, 08:20 PM
That was the coldest I have been at a match since an away game at Falkirk when we were in the Championship, which was actually at the start of May!

Nisbet MOTM by a country mile - he was our best defender as well, with several headed clearances.

Good to see some respectful applause for Fletcher when he came off.

Decent crowd, all things considered.

marinello59
14-01-2023, 08:23 PM

Aye , plenty of effort, precious little quality or imagination. Thank goodness Nisbet has come back from injury firing on all cylinders, the one bright shining light today.

Blaster
14-01-2023, 08:25 PM
Stats and result say otherwise .

Stats cloud people’s judgment

We were crap today. Absolutely pathetic. The manager threw the players under the bus with his team selection. And I’m sorry but in my opinion the players didn’t give their all. Something is wrong behind the scenes and it shows.

There was no hunger. Compare our efforts to the Dundee United team.

Apart from Nisbet every other player deserves criticism today. I’m normally in the happy clapper camp but today was extremely poor

The point was very welcome if undeserved

Onceinawhile
14-01-2023, 08:25 PM
Marshall is a massive problem.

Stuck to his line.
Doesn't communicate
Slower distribution than macey.

Cost us the first goal by not just picking up the ball Porto kneed back to him and instead put it out for a throw.

Lewis was also absolutely woeful today. Distribution was all over the place and cost us the second goal by showing their boy inside instead of outside.

Totally agree about Campbell. He was awful, but it wasn't his fault.

Hibby Bairn
14-01-2023, 08:26 PM
What do you mean by the comment that Hanlon was just missing JC?

Paul was sitting with Cadden and Boyle in the main stand. Presume injured.

IberianHibernian
14-01-2023, 08:29 PM
Must’ve been watching a different game, usual pedestrian sideways/backwards passing from him🤷🏼First match after several months out injured . Don`t remember one pass back from him today . He was the only midfielder in fact any player who didn`t give possession away constantly . Hope he stays . With a good manager , he could become an excellent player and far from convinced we`ll sign anyone who`ll be better for any length of time .

HIBS NUTS
14-01-2023, 08:30 PM

Stuck to his line.
Doesn't communicate

Cost us the first goal by not just picking up the ball Porto kneed back to him and instead put it out for a throw.

Lewis was also absolutely woeful today. Distribution was all over the place and cost us the second goal by showing their boy inside instead of outside.

Marshall isn’t a massive problem.😳

Saint Hibee
14-01-2023, 08:30 PM
Bushiri MOTM for me. The only one who consistently drove us forward.

Onceinawhile
14-01-2023, 08:32 PM
Marshall isn’t a massive problem.😳

Cost us one goal, nearly cost us another.
Distribution is shocking.
Saves % worse than macey.
Communication is nil.

At the moment, what does he bring?

Onceinawhile
14-01-2023, 08:33 PM

Thought rocky tried his best, but fletcher, had his number and it wasn't even close.

wookie70
14-01-2023, 08:35 PM

And I’m sorry but in my opinion the players didn’t give their all. Something is wrong behind the scenes and it shows.

Not sure about the behind the scenes part but I agree with the other points. That was not a team playing at full tilt and most importantly it wasn't a group of players helping each other out. Our movement is terrible and we give players so much time in possession it is unreal. Players like McGeady blaming Youan etc when it is their fault for a poor pass is all part of the lack of harmony too. It is one of those seasons we endure far too often and that point could be pretty important at the end of the day. Without Nisbet I think we probably get involved in the fight for the play off spot. With Kev we have a chance of top six given how dire the quality of the league is this year

04Sauzee
14-01-2023, 08:36 PM
Thought rocky tried his best, but fletcher, had his number and it wasn't even close.

Thought Rocky played him well, genuinely though Fletcher would bully him but Rocky has come on leaps and bounds, probably my player of the season so far

Carheenlea
14-01-2023, 08:41 PM
Can we assume then that after the 3 mins of time added on for subs/time wasting/faux head knocks that the realistic time added ons that featured during World Cup won’t be embraced in Scotland? Seemed to do it the week after returning from WC break then abandoned again.

Effectively giving the head knock cheats and time wasters the all clear to continue with the spoiling tactics.

GreenCastle
14-01-2023, 08:50 PM
Can we assume then that after the 3 mins of time added on for subs/time wasting/faux head knocks that the realistic time added ons that featured during World Cup won’t be embraced in Scotland? Seemed to do it the week after returning from WC break then abandoned again.

Effectively giving the head knock cheats and time wasters the all clear to continue with the spoiling tactics.

Agreed 3 mins was a joke.

Also the Easter Road pitch is really poor - felt players were having to take an extra touch at times.

BILLYHIBS
14-01-2023, 08:51 PM
Rocky played him well

Fletcher looked all of his 35 years and is starting to creak but still very good in the air and has nous

Picked up a nothing booking in a stupid area of the pitch when he foolishly pulled Porto back when he was going nowhere

Looked a tired offence

As others have said United would have should have won if they just kept playing the same way as the first half

Looked relieved to be hooked after a long 83 minutes as he stiffly walked off to an appreciative round of applause from the home fans

Cup winning legend

Edit

Watching back on Sportscene the old man was involved in both United goals so fair do’s

easty
14-01-2023, 08:53 PM

Fletcher must’ve loved it today. I’m not sure Rocky won a header against him the whole game.

Planted his feet and held off Rocky with absolute ease from start to finish.

Scotty Leither
14-01-2023, 08:55 PM

The time on/time off by the referee as used in rugby is long overdue to be introduced, IMO.

That way the time wasting *******s that populate Scottish football can lie down and writhe about all they want, it wouldn't matter.

It might initially make games last about 3 hours, but it would stamp out the cheating if players knew that feigning injury has zero impact on shortening the actual game time.

HIBS NUTS
14-01-2023, 09:05 PM
Cost us one goal, nearly cost us another.
Distribution is shocking.
Saves % worse than macey.
Communication is nil.

At the moment, what does he bring?

I must go to different games to you.
Marshall’s distribution is generally great.
He’s miles better than macey .
However hibs we’re awful today, on that much we can agree.

GreenCastle
14-01-2023, 09:07 PM
The time on/time off by the referee as used in rugby is long overdue to be introduced, IMO.

That way the time wasting *******s that populate Scottish football can lie down and writhe about all they want, it wouldn't matter.

It might initially make games last about 3 hours, but it would stamp out the cheating if players knew that feigning injury has zero impact on shortening the actual game time.

Football has got worse with these rule changes last few years / VAR stoppages and refs making decisions with no explanation.

Goal line technology was a positive but I’m hopeful one day they finally explain decisions like rugby and show replays at games of key incidents. I was going to say respect the ref more but this is hard with some of the performances we see.

coldingham hibs
14-01-2023, 09:16 PM
Fletcher must’ve loved it today. I’m not sure Rocky won a header against him the whole game.

I must have watched a different game, Rocky won just about everything against him which I was surprised about. Rocky actually had a very good game, Fletcher did nothing of note against him.

Tyler Durden
14-01-2023, 09:22 PM
I must have watched a different game, Rocky won just about everything against him which I was surprised about. Rocky actually had a very good game, Fletcher did nothing of note against him.

Watch the 2nd goal back

B.H.F.C
14-01-2023, 09:27 PM

I’m another who watched a different game to you. Dundee Utd showed no interest in getting up the park after 55-60 minutes but, before that, Rocky struggled against Fletcher. I think Rocky struggles with timing when he goes for a header, as shown in the build up to their second.

Onceinawhile
14-01-2023, 09:33 PM
I must go to different games to you.
Marshall’s distribution is generally great.
He’s miles better than macey .
However hibs we’re awful today, on that much we can agree.

His save % is worse than macey's. That's not an opinion. It's a fact.

I think it's a real stretch to call His distribution great.

BILLYHIBS
14-01-2023, 09:34 PM
I’m another who watched a different game to you. Dundee Utd showed no interest in getting up the park after 55-60 minutes but, before that, Rocky struggled against Fletcher. I think Rocky struggles with timing when he goes for a header, as shown in the build up to their second.

Nine times out of ten he will header the back of the opponent’s head

Credit where credit due massive turnaround in his form in the past year but his coordination is still all over the place maybe if he opens his eyes

Stood beside him in Hospitality and the guy is a colossus a physical presence which is what we need

A young Steven Fletcher at the height of his powers would have destroyed him today

tonyrougier123
14-01-2023, 09:36 PM
Agreed 3 mins was a joke.

Also the Easter Road pitch is really poor - felt players were having to take an extra touch at times.

Agree about the pitch,been an ongoing problem for a few seasons now in winter,comparable to other pitches ours is a mess.

IberianHibernian
14-01-2023, 10:02 PM
Nine times out of ten he will header the back of the opponent’s head

Credit where credit due massive turnaround in his form in the past year but his coordination is still all over the place maybe if he opens his eyes

Stood beside him in Hospitality and the guy is a colossus a physical presence which is what we need

A young Steven Fletcher at the height of his powers would have destroyed him todayA young Steven Fletcher would have destroyed most defences in our league then . Nesbit`s goals since comeback have been fantastic but what would we have said if we`d lost goals he scored today ? Great finishes but after being given space by defenders .

NAE NOOKIE
14-01-2023, 10:13 PM
That was a bloody hard shift for most of the game. We practically gifted Utd their 2 goals with extremely poor defending and as another poster said, at times looked like a load of individuals without any sort of structure to work with. But I also would contend that we did deserve a draw out of that game because Utd just stopped trying to score with half an hour to go and resorted to all sorts of time wasting, their anti football got what it deserved.

Marshall ..... At times he didn't get the ball away as quickly as usual because he simply didn't have anybody to aim at. Rocky's near own goal was entirely Marshall's fault for not claiming a ball that was entirely his.

Campbell .... This is a guy who for all his faults gives everything and it simply isn't fair starting him in a position he clearly isn't suited to, I'll go against the grain here and say he was far from our worst performer today.

Fish .... Did far better at centre half than he did at right back, though that wouldn't be difficult, overall did ok as it happens.

Porteous .... He isn't a midfield player and today it showed, far more comfortable once he went back to his usual position.

Rocky ... I thought he had a pretty good game and I didn't see the bullying by Fletcher others seemed to, he did everything he could to get us up the park as well.

Stevenson .... Not Lewis's best game for this club, I don't suppose he will need the likes of me to point that out.

Newell ... I really don't know, he was on the ball a lot but didn't make much happen.

Magennis .... An absolute stormer of a shot that would have been our goal of the season had it gone in, that aside he was pretty anonymous, if he really is fit enough to play he should be having far more of an affect on games.

McGeady ... Far less effective in the middle than he was out left against Motherwell, we need to get him further up the park where he can get himself one on one.

Youan .... Someone needs to tell him you only need to beat your man once to cross a ball in, there's no need to turn him 3 bloody times, once again shirked more than one 50/50 challenge, decision making as suspect as usual.

Nisbet .... Who would have thought after a year out injured he would come back like this, took both his goals brilliantly and worked hard as well. Never mind Porteous I'm bloody scared somebody is going to make us an offer we cant refuse before January is out, imagine what he could do with decent service on this form.

Subs.

McKirdy .... Did far more constructive stuff than I've seen from him and unlucky with a cracking effort off the bar, even though it would have been disallowed for offside had it gone in.

JDH .... Played a couple of decent forward passes.

Melkersen ... No time to make an impression.

The Manager. Watches a guy struggle at right back a week ago and so shoves him in there again ... bloody hell !!!

The Ref. Some strange decisions, not least the time added on at the end. This is a guy who warned their keeper for time wasting before the second half was half way through, saw at least 4 of their players go down 'allegedly' needing treatment and then booked a Utd player for time wasting at a throw in, there was also at least 5 substitutions made in the 2nd half. How given all that could he only play 3 minutes of added time at the end, what sort of an idiot is this guy?

loanheadhibby
14-01-2023, 10:18 PM
First match after several months out injured . Don`t remember one pass back from him today . He was the only midfielder in fact any player who didn`t give possession away constantly . Hope he stays . With a good manager , he could become an excellent player and far from convinced we`ll sign anyone who`ll be better for any length of time .
Are you talking about JDH?
It's the old story a guy becomes a better player when he's out injured.
Like most of our squad not good enough for Hibs.

Glory Lurker
14-01-2023, 10:21 PM

I can't remember that being connected to the goal but was definitely confused at the time why he didn't pick it up.

GreenCastle
14-01-2023, 10:22 PM
Melkersen getting less than 10 mins every week isn’t going to really develop the guy.

greenlex
14-01-2023, 10:47 PM

We were crap today. Absolutely pathetic. The manager threw the players under the bus with his team selection. And I’m sorry but in my opinion the players didn’t give their all. Something is wrong behind the scenes and it shows.

Apart from Nisbet every other player deserves criticism today. I’m normally in the happy clapper camp but today was extremely poor

The point was very welcome if undeserved
All the stats were in Hibs favour. Every one. To say we didn’t merit a point is just stupid. We did more right than Dundee Utd. I’d go as far as to say they were the ones fortunate to get the point. We aren’t great and folk have a righ to be negative and the feeling is just that but let’s not just make stuff up. We really did deserve at least a point today and hard facts back that up over all our doom and gloom mindset. To say players didn’t have hunger when we absolutely dominated them second half is incorrect.

Glory Lurker
14-01-2023, 10:52 PM
All the stats were in Hibs favour. Every one. To say we didn’t merit a point is just stupid. We did more right than Dundee Utd. I’d go as far as to say they were the ones fortunate to get the point. We aren’t great and folk have a righ to be negative and the feeling is just that but let’s not just make stuff up. We really did deserve at least a point today and hard facts back that up over all our doom and gloom mindset. To say players didn’t have hunger when we absolutely battered them second half is incorrect.

I completely agree. The match was very even, first half too. Obviously being even against United isn't a good thing though.

greenlex
14-01-2023, 10:55 PM
I completely agree. The match was very even, first half too. Obviously being even against United isn't a good thing though.
Absolutely and tactics and formation was poor by a poor management team. Starting Campbell as right back when it didn’t work last week while two right backs sat and watched confirmed Johnson us just winging it.

Kaiser_Sauzee
14-01-2023, 10:56 PM
I thought Rocky was excellent today. Really turning into a player.

Youan was frustrating. Good on the ball but no final product whatsoever.

Stevenson plays too many long balls to nobody. You cannot give possession away like this throughout a game and seriously expect to win matches.

Shrekko
14-01-2023, 11:39 PM

United got exactly what they deserved for their negativity. Imagine trying to sit in against this Hibs team! Especially when they were so far the better team for 55 mins.

Not in any way robbed.

WeeRussell
15-01-2023, 12:01 AM
United got exactly what they deserved for their negativity. Imagine trying to sit in against this Hibs team! Especially when they were so far the better team for 55 mins.

Not in any way robbed.

Correct. As poor as we looked, particularly in the first half, a point each was about fair with the way the game developed in the second.

I think United fans would accept that too.

hibbydog
15-01-2023, 06:15 AM
Agree Stevenson was very poor. He wasn’t helped by being left 2 v 1 in several occasions including their second goal.

Too many players hung out to dry by the managers decisions. Stevenson, Porteous and Campbell today.

Keep it simple FFS. Play your best players in their normal positions and work harder than the opposition.

green day
15-01-2023, 06:52 AM
Keep it simple FFS. Play your best players in their normal positions and work harder than the opposition.

Its what a club like Livi do.

How our manager cant see this is baffling.

hibbydog
15-01-2023, 06:54 AM
Its what a club like Livi do.

How our manager cant see this is baffling.

Overthinking it. The trouble with Johnson is that all his brains are in his heid !!!

Trinity Hibee
15-01-2023, 06:59 AM
Overthinking it. The trouble with Johnson is that all his brains are in his heid !!!

😂

Svengali
15-01-2023, 07:14 AM

Agree Saint Hibee, I thought Rocky had a decent match. One point in first half he showed excellent skill on the touchline. Nisbet finishes excellent too.

Those two aside, the rest were average to poor.

WestStandWillie
15-01-2023, 07:27 AM
Nisbet and possibly Marshall aside, i’ve found myself not caring a single iota about this squad of players and wouldn’t care if they were moved on.

LJ talks about moving 10 on, could we move another 10 on after that?

Trinity Hibee
15-01-2023, 07:28 AM
Nisbet and possibly Marshall aside, i’ve found myself not caring a single iota about this squad of players and wouldn’t care if they were moved on.

100% agree. Total clearout required. Obviously keep Boyle

Brightside
15-01-2023, 07:46 AM
If would have been great to have DM today. Looks like JDH will be pushed into that role. I hope he’s ready for the criticism

Brightside
15-01-2023, 07:47 AM

Marshall hasn’t been great imo. Good with the ball at his feet but he doesn’t command his box and he doesn’t save that many.

WestStandWillie
15-01-2023, 07:47 AM
100% agree. Total clearout required. Obviously keep Boyle

Aye, keep Boyle too (had forgot about him)

greenginger
15-01-2023, 08:41 AM
A bit of straw clutching I know, but did nobody else think it was a clear foul throw that lead up to their first goal.

Watching on Sportscene last night the United players foot is about 18 inches off the ground when he’s making the throw-in. Ignored by ref and linesmen per usual, and I don’t suppose var would call it even if they saw it.

Maybe I’m out of date and the throw-in rules have changed. :dunno:

BILLYHIBS
15-01-2023, 09:25 AM
A bit of straw clutching I know, but did nobody else think it was a clear foul throw that lead up to their first goal.

Watching on Sportscene last night the United players foot is about 18 inches off the ground when he’s making the throw-in. Ignored by ref and linesmen per usual, and I don’t suppose var would call it even if they saw it.

Maybe I’m out of date and the throw-in rules have changed. :dunno:

What about Celtic’s foul throw in 0-4 ?

Retake throw in ????

I demand a replay

BILLYHIBS
15-01-2023, 09:48 AM
Marshall hasn’t been great imo. Good with the ball at his feet but he doesn’t command his box and he doesn’t save that many.

I like Marshall but noticeably slower in releasing the ball and distribution compared to early season

Launched one forward second half that brought cries of derision into nowhere but turned into cheers as Youan appeared from nowhere to get onto the end of it in good position

LewysGot2
15-01-2023, 10:12 AM

Except totally creating the 2 goals they scored. The first one, his very good pass and intelligence were vital.

B.H.F.C
15-01-2023, 10:15 AM

Not in any way robbed.

Agree. As pish as we are they weren’t interested in doing anything for the majority of the second half.

Alvin
15-01-2023, 11:30 AM

Agreed.

I mean, there was a lot to be hacked off about yesterday but only 3 minutes added time was the final straw for this grumpy old codger. On top of all the time wasting and the injuries with physios on and off, there were 6 sets of substitutions. And what really drives me mad is the amount of wasted time the ref took from the game by taking an eternity to note down his bookings before allowing play to restart. Why on earth can’t the ref tell the 4th official on the mike that he’s booked “United no. 7” and we just get on with the game. All in all, 3 minutes added time was a travesty.

And while we’re talking about that ref, why does he always look like he’s borrowed his big brother’s jersey? :wink:

Since452
15-01-2023, 12:19 PM

Just be thankful he wasn't up against Hanlon.

basehibby
15-01-2023, 12:45 PM

Absolutely - even before the WC, 3mins added on would not have been nearly enough - should have been 5 mins at least.

RIP
15-01-2023, 06:35 PM
Are you talking about JDH?
It's the old story a guy becomes a better player when he's out injured.
Like most of our squad not good enough for Hibs.

Lol, like we're gonna sign half a team of players better than JDH this window. 🤣

Some posters really need to wake up and smell the coffee. Jake is an average Hibs player and we are a mid-table club who see-saw between third and eighth every decade.

Better managed, or without our better players being injured, we would be in and around fourth this season, which would be higher than we've averaged in my 67 years of life.

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2023, 06:38 PM

Stuck to his line.
Doesn't communicate

Its one hell of a stretch to say Marshall cost us the first goal. Porto was FAR worse for it than Marshall. Middleton just strolls away from him. Newell and Magennis made a **** of a throw in and Fish was soft as ****.

BILLYHIBS
16-01-2023, 07:22 AM
I was very impressed with United in the first hour high energy and high press all over the park

They had our number and we were on the ropes

A mystery that they went into full sheep jamboid mode time wasting and feigning injury anti football

The goalie should definitely have picked up a yellow

Poor from a weak Referee despite repeated warnings and pointing at his watch

They got what they deserved

Bring on the jambos

wookie70
16-01-2023, 09:17 AM
Agreed.

And what really drives me mad is the amount of wasted time the ref took from the game by taking an eternity to note down his bookings before allowing play to restart. Why on earth can’t the ref tell the 4th official on the mike that he’s booked “United no. 7” and we just get on with the game. All in all, 3 minutes added time was a travesty.

The 4th official should have booked the ref for time wasting. Watching the semi final yesterday and there was 7 minutes injury time and nowhere near the time wasting that we saw on Saturday. Scottish referees are a complete joke and seem to be completely unaware of all the gamesmanship that goes on. While we are at it how is it only Hibs that have to take throw ins from a particular spot but other teams can do what they want. Something needs done about players faking head injuries. To me if you go down with a head injury then the game has top be stopped. Given it is a head injury bad enough to make you lie down a full assessment for concussion should take place off the pitch and for me there should be no sub allowed unless you are not coming back on. Football as a product seems to invent loopholes for cheating every year and the game gets worse and worse as a product

Eyrie
16-01-2023, 07:29 PM
The 4th official should have booked the ref for time wasting. Watching the semi final yesterday and there was 7 minutes injury time and nowhere near the time wasting that we saw on Saturday. Scottish referees are a complete joke and seem to be completely unaware of all the gamesmanship that goes on. While we are at it how is it only Hibs that have to take throw ins from a particular spot but other teams can do what they want. Something needs done about players faking head injuries. To me if you go down with a head injury then the game has top be stopped. Given it is a head injury bad enough to make you lie down a full assessment for concussion should take place off the pitch and for me there should be no sub allowed unless you are not coming back on. Football as a product seems to invent loopholes for cheating every year and the game gets worse and worse as a product

I think it was the same player (Sibbald?) that went down three times. At least once when there was no head contact.

marinello59
16-01-2023, 07:46 PM
I think it was the same player (Sibbald?) that went down three times. At least once when there was no head contact.

Sibbald faked injury in the first half to get play stopped then pulled exactly the same trick in the second half. It’s cheating but always goes unpunished.

JimBHibees
16-01-2023, 08:24 PM

He's certainly up there with the most detestable player in Scotland. I mean that hairstyle ffs :greengrin

Trinity Hibee
16-01-2023, 08:26 PM
Sibbald faked injury in the first half to get play stopped then pulled exactly the same trick in the second half. It’s cheating but always goes unpunished.

He did it a few times but its another tactic which is spoiling the game on a wellh basis. Feign a headknock the game gets stopped. Infact one time he went down on edge of the box, we had the ball out wide and the ref restarted play by giving their keeper the ball. Should have to sit off for 5 mins if you go down with a headknock.

Lost count of the number of times refs dont address time wasting from keepers as well. See it every week

O'Rourke3
16-01-2023, 10:17 PM
Sibbald faked injury in the first half to get play stopped then pulled exactly the same trick in the second half. It’s cheating but always goes unpunished.Any head knock ( like Sibbald's) should mean the player is off the pitch for a full concussion test. Minimum 5 minutes. Soon stop the cheating barstewards. Fed up seeing dying swans stopping games.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk