PDA

View Full Version : Middle of the Park

Bobby's Cinema
14-01-2023, 05:07 PM
Are our centre midfield not allowed to receive a pass? Lee?

So frustrating watching this team, passing along the back and up the sides. Our central midfield sitting so deep, when they do pick up the ball, play it wide and then apparently their work is done. Don't move or show for the return pass.

We get something in the end though so credit to them for keeping going.

Heisenberg
14-01-2023, 05:09 PM
It’s not an issue apparently. Joe is doing just fine.

LunasBoots
14-01-2023, 05:13 PM
Same issue for years, we all see it, the manager and club think it's fine.

Smartie
14-01-2023, 05:14 PM
I thought we improved massively when JDH went on and didn’t do much more than work hard and do the basics well.

The midfield is a huge problem.

Callum_62
14-01-2023, 05:14 PM
I thought we improved massively when JDH went on and didn’t do much more than work hard and do the basics well.

The midfield is a huge problem.Suspect he will be a starter on Sunday

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

hibee_girl
14-01-2023, 05:15 PM
Suspect he will be a starter on Sunday

:agree:

He'll take Newell's place

Hiber-nation
14-01-2023, 05:16 PM

So true. Main problem for me was not having a RB. I feel for Campbell, hung out to dry today.

So new back 4 and centre midfield needed. Great.

easty
14-01-2023, 05:17 PM
It’s a shambles just now.

We’re a goal down and lacking any creativity in the middle of the park, we can only bring on McKirdy, JDH and Melkerson. 3 players who create absolutely ****ing nothing.

Helensburghhibs
14-01-2023, 05:17 PM
Campbell was poor, as was mcgeady. But they were still the 2 who put the most workmate in
Says it all

hibee_girl
14-01-2023, 05:18 PM

We’re a goal down and lacking any creativity in the middle of the park, we can only bring on McKirdy, JDH and Melkerson. 3 players who create absolutely ****ing nothing.

To be fair McKirdy did nearly score today :greengrin

Potty78
14-01-2023, 05:18 PM
Said it loads of times, Lee came tae watch hibs last few games of last season (his words) yet he's not solved the problem. Next week without Newell (my opinion) will be worse🤷*♂️

Helensburghhibs
14-01-2023, 05:21 PM
To be fair McKirdy did nearly score today :greengrin

Nearly except the ball didn't go in and even if it did it was offside,,,
He was bright but nearly scoring is a stretch

Bobby's Cinema
14-01-2023, 11:05 PM

It's even more fundamental than just lacking creativity. Second half today we did not get on the ball once in the middle. And we kicked off the second half a goal down with what appeared to be Newell and KM both sitting protecting.

Rigidly playing wide. Centre half lifting their heads and the only option is a square pass. Full backs in possession lifting their heads and the only option is playing down the line. I didn't count a single passage second half where a centre half played it into centre mid, and they played it on to the feet of the central striker.

It can only be under clear instruction that this is the case. And Dundee United for an hour were everything we were not, strolling it passing it around. Players can lack quality but I just don't see the direction.

lyonhibs
14-01-2023, 11:25 PM
JDH actually added something today, the basic ability to maybe make a vaguely threatening forward pass. Newell's distribution over short and medium range especially was abysmal. Mid table mediocrity is the best we can hope for with that central midfield

The Harp Awakes
16-01-2023, 04:50 PM

I agree JDH made a difference when he came on. Whilst none of our midfielders are brilliant, he's one I'd keep. I'd put JDH in the Youan bracket - lots to improve on, but technically good players with the potential to improve.

Donegal Hibby
16-01-2023, 08:44 PM
Midfield is where the biggest problem is in our team imo even though LJ is getting shot down for playing Porto there I actually think it makes a lot of sense as none of our other midfielder's seem to be able drive forward with the ball ( maybe apart from Magennis) .

JimBHibees
16-01-2023, 08:46 PM
I agree JDH made a difference when he came on. Whilst none of our midfielders are brilliant, he's one I'd keep. I'd put JDH in the Youan bracket - lots to improve on, but technically good players with the potential to improve.

So would I

raeburnhibs
16-01-2023, 08:55 PM
JDH actually added something today, the basic ability to maybe make a vaguely threatening forward pass. Newell's distribution over short and medium range especially was abysmal. Mid table mediocrity is the best we can hope for with that central midfield

apart from his assist for the equalising goal though right? but don't let facts get in the way

WeeRussell
16-01-2023, 11:11 PM
Suspect he will be a starter on Sunday

I hope so. Suspect we might be pleasantly surprised at what he offers coming in directly for Newell. Likely be hungry to show what he can do when given the chance as well.

AlbertK86
17-01-2023, 05:32 AM
apart from his assist for the equalising goal though right? but don't let facts get in the way

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basehibby
17-01-2023, 11:37 AM
Nearly except the ball didn't go in and even if it did it was offside,,,
He was bright but nearly scoring is a stretch

He hit the fing crossbar ffs - great effort

hibsbollah
17-01-2023, 11:46 AM

We’ve already established that because the assist went up in the air not along the ground in a straight trajectory it isn’t a proper assist, also known as The Joe Newell Rule.

NC1875
17-01-2023, 01:03 PM

His 3rd in 26 games this season. Great contribution 🥱

Helensburghhibs
18-01-2023, 07:20 AM
He hit the fing crossbar ffs - great effort

It was a great effort,,, but he never nearly scored as it was offside before his shot 🙄

Dmas
18-01-2023, 08:23 AM
The midfield is a massive issue can’t believe it hasn’t been sorted to be honest, I worry as well that the players rumoured to be leaving are the players the manager is still using from the bench as well, it doesn’t seem to me like JDH has much of a future here but he comes on, melkerson already away and still was used as a sub on Saturday the lack of options off the bench with all these tales of a huge and bloated squad is pretty scary

MWHIBBIES
18-01-2023, 08:51 AM
His 3rd in 26 games this season. Great contribution 🥱

You expecting our deepest midfielder to be in double figures for assists by January like? This isn't Fifa.

lyonhibs
18-01-2023, 03:25 PM

Did you note where I specified "short to medium range"?

Stuart93
18-01-2023, 03:33 PM
I’d go JDH in the mcgeouch role
Campbell in the mcginn role
Magennis in the Allan role

Described to me from a mate as “the 2017 midfield from Wish”

Hibiza
18-01-2023, 03:50 PM
Our midfield is just not up to it , the likes of the ever present Newell and players like JDH are examples of complete mediocrity at best.

HarpOnHibee
18-01-2023, 04:19 PM
We do this really irritating thing from KO where we just lump the ball up the field for a throw in. We've been doing it for years and I have no idea why. Hold onto the ball, knock it around, take control of the game early on ffs.

JammyDoidger
18-01-2023, 04:41 PM
Stevenson into midfield for the derby, we should have went with that at Tynecastle too. Porteous back into defence. Cabraja to come in at left back. Use your heid Johnson.

Real Emerald
18-01-2023, 04:42 PM
We do this really irritating thing from KO where we just lump the ball up the field for a throw in. We've been doing it for years and I have no idea why. Hold onto the ball, knock it around, take control of the game early on ffs.

It’s a widely used tactic to get the ball up the park and to be able to press teams in their half looking for errors. If you pass back you could be on the end of their press and can make errors very early in games. I’m not a fan but that’s part of the theory.

P.S. Alex Millers team done it in the 80’s.

greenlex
18-01-2023, 04:44 PM
Stevenson into midfield for the derby, we should have went with that at Tynecastle too. Porteous back into defence. Cabraja to come in at left back. Use your heid Johnson.
I see a problem right there.

MWHIBBIES
18-01-2023, 04:46 PM

It's on purpose and probably the right thing to do. All players in your half is not good for attacking side, you are easily pressed back. See Aberdeen semi final.

Kicking it forward means you can get up the pitch and force opposition back.

Bobby's Cinema
18-01-2023, 05:01 PM
I seriously hope not. Lewy has already been asked to contribute far more than he should have this season, that would be a massive ask.
We should be able to field a starting XI with all players in their best position.

Main concern for Sunday remains the midfield. They must get more involved in the game and have to get up and support. A deep lying midfield duo infront of a back 4 with Campbell at RB with acres of space up to Nisbet will only invite them on to us and if we lose the first goal frustration will boil over in the stands.

From my point of view i'd like to see us with
- someone (Magennis) playing more advanced
- LJ to acknowledge that fair enough the tactic is to play up the sides and get balls across, but we cannot bypass the centre of midfield entirely and must play through on occasion to change it up
- And the centre of midfield must provide more of an option for the centre halfs when in possession (Rocky/ Fish not exactly the most confidence with the ball at their feet and continually had no options made available for them) AND for either side of midfield when laying the ball of they cannot admire it and must move into space. I thought these were basics.

LunasBoots
18-01-2023, 05:03 PM
I seriously hope not. Lewy has already been asked to contribute far more than he should have this season, that would be a massive ask.
We should be able to field a starting XI with all players in their best position.

Main concern for Sunday remains the midfield. They must get more involved in the game and have to get up and support. A deep lying Newell Magennis duo infront of a back 4 with Campbell at RB with acres of space up to Nisbet will only invite them on to us and if we lose the first goal frustration will boil over in the stands.

From my point of view i'd like to see us with
- someone (Magennis) playing more advanced
- LJ to acknowledge that fair enough the tactic is to play up the sides and get balls across, but we cannot bypass the centre of midfield entirely and must play through on occasion to change it up
- And the centre of midfield must provide more of an option for the centre halfs when in possession (Rocky/ Fish not exactly the most confidence with the ball at their feet and continually had no options made available for them) AND for either side of midfield when laying the ball of they cannot admire it and must move into space. I thought these were basics.

Newells suspended.

Bobby's Cinema
18-01-2023, 05:08 PM
Newells suspended.
:aok: did not know that.

HarpOnHibee
18-01-2023, 06:36 PM
It’s a widely used tactic to get the ball up the park and to be able to press teams in their half looking for errors. If you pass back you could be on the end of their press and can make errors very early in games. I’m not a fan but that’s part of the theory.

P.S. Alex Millers team done it in the 80’s.

It's on purpose and probably the right thing to do. All players in your half is not good for attacking side, you are easily pressed back. See Aberdeen semi final.

Kicking it forward means you can get up the pitch and force opposition back.

I'm sure that's the intention of it. But I would argue against it really working in practice. For the most part, the ball goes out for a throw in, handing possession straight to the opposition. Doing it in the vain hope of some school boy error is amateur level stuff in my opinion. We really should be looking to hold onto possession early on and dictate the rhythm of the game, particularly at home.