10-01-2023, 04:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5NSrEmU61E

Feel free to merge if already posted

chrisski33
10-01-2023, 04:11 PM
shame it wasnt to announce his dismissal

Callum_62
10-01-2023, 04:11 PM
shame it wasnt to announce his dismissalFfs.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Real Emerald
10-01-2023, 04:13 PM
It’s probably a step in the right direction but I’m not sure announcing this right in the middle of an important transfer window is good timing.

JohnM1875
10-01-2023, 04:15 PM
It’s probably a step in the right direction but I’m not sure announcing this right in the middle of an important transfer window is good timing.

Plenty folk on here have been asking for clarity on it to be fair.

hibby rae
10-01-2023, 04:15 PM

Aye, shame it wasn't pre-WC, unless someone is already touted e.g. John Park, I doubt anyone will be in this month. So no massive improvements in policy until the summer at the earliest.

wookie70
10-01-2023, 04:25 PM
It is an acknowledgement that change is required and mistakes made. No way to fix things unless we recognise the problem.

Real Emerald
10-01-2023, 04:32 PM
Plenty folk on here have been asking for clarity on it to be fair.

It’s great news they’ve finally acknowledged their mistakes and are now making moves to fix it. It’s just a pity they couldn’t have acknowledged it earlier when everyone else could see it and had someone in to act in this window. We really don’t want the same people making the same mistake. It is what it is though so we can only look forward from now and hope things improve but we must get players in now, even if just short term loans especially with Porto leaving.

WhileTheChief..
10-01-2023, 04:33 PM
Scottish experience of working in big clubs. We're going after Donald Park then.

Hibs90
10-01-2023, 04:35 PM
Well at least they are now acknowledging it but the manager will be going nowhere regardless of results it seems

Callum_62
Scottish experience of working in big clubs. We're going after Donald Park then.John more likely

But actually both might be candidates

Walter
Whats Ian Gordon's brother doing the now ?

WhileTheChief..
10-01-2023, 04:36 PM
John more likely

But actually both might be candidates

Yeah i think i maybe meant John.

Which is the one that left us to go to Celtic? That's the one i meant!!

Golden Bear
10-01-2023, 04:37 PM

Stop it.

Allant1981
10-01-2023, 04:38 PM

Which is the one that left us to go to Celtic? That's the one i meant!!

Yip he was the one that went to celtic

Stubbsy90+2
10-01-2023, 04:38 PM
That’s John Park described perfectly.

Fair play to Hibs for such a detailed update.

HoboHarry
10-01-2023, 04:41 PM
Give it a rest for gawds sake.

Hibs90
10-01-2023, 04:42 PM
Does anyone actually trust the board to hire the right DoF considering previous managerial hires?

HoboHarry
10-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Does anyone actually trust the board to hire the right DoF considering previous managerial hires?
Yes.

JohnM1875
10-01-2023, 04:46 PM
Yes.

Bizarrely, so do I on this one.

Stuart93
10-01-2023, 04:48 PM

Are we allowed to hold back our answer until they’re appointed…

CapitalGreen
10-01-2023, 04:48 PM

The only part of the job description John Park has experience of is recruitment.

“When appointed, the new Director of Football will be responsible for all areas of football support at the Hibernian Training Centre, including the Academy and development, analysis, football administration, medical, player care, recruitment, and strength and conditioning and will review all of football operations.“

MelbourneHibees
10-01-2023, 04:52 PM
Bizarrely, so do I on this one.

Even if it isn't Park?

Alex Trager
10-01-2023, 04:52 PM
Good interview and good decision.

Massively frustrating this wasn’t recognised when Mathie was sacked, but these things happen.

Delighted they have recognised that both football experience and specifically Scottish experience.

SMAXXA
10-01-2023, 04:54 PM
Park and Collins been spoken to seemingly

JohnM1875
10-01-2023, 04:55 PM
Even if it isn't Park?

Aye, whoever it is I think we'll make the right appointment this time.

Like I say I do find it bizarre given the recent recruitment issues. Probably just me being a mug hah.

Allant1981
10-01-2023, 04:55 PM
The only part of the job description John Park has experience of is recruitment.

“When appointed, the new Director of Football will be responsible for all areas of football support at the Hibernian Training Centre, including the Academy and development, analysis, football administration, medical, player care, recruitment, and strength and conditioning and will review all of football operations.“

He done analysis work for motherwell apparently, was obviously head of youth development with us as well and worked in IT so has a varied skill set

JohnM1875
10-01-2023, 04:56 PM
Park and Collins been spoken to seemingly

Does Collins have any previous experience in such a role? Surely won't be him?

SaulGoodman
10-01-2023, 04:56 PM

Does John Park? I thought he was just a scout

Stubbsy90+2
10-01-2023, 04:57 PM
He done analysis work for motherwell apparently, was obviously head of youth development with us as well and worked in IT so has a varied skill set

And he has all the experience in Scotland referred to numerous times.

Heisenberg
10-01-2023, 04:59 PM
Got to hope this means Ian Gordon is being moved out of his role. I note it just says him and the recruitment team will be “reviewed”.

Golden Bear
Are we allowed to hold back our answer until they’re appointed…

Whatever happens, the learned posters of Hibs Net will judge that the Club made the wrong appointment. 😄

JohnM1875
Does John Park? I thought he was just a scout

Aye asked the same as well either on this thread or the other one. Park has senior experience but all in recruitment or development.

Bridge hibs
If Park is considered

When he joined celtic

John Park was head-hunted and recruited as Football Development Manager by Celtic on 23rd January, 2007. He had previously been Head of Youth Development at Hibernian and was credited with bringing through many youth players into Hibs’ first team. His principle task is believed to be the targetting of future signings to the first team but he will also be involved in recruitment to the Academy and as such he works closely with all the scouts and Chris McCart, Head of the Academy.

Stuart93
10-01-2023, 05:04 PM
Whatever happens, the learned posters of Hibs Net will judge that the Club made the wrong appointment. 😄

I mean, if it goes as successfully as last time we introduced this structure and ends in us winning the SC again, I’ll probably struggle to find something to complain about

hibby rae
Aye asked the same as well either on this thread or the other one. Park has senior experience but all in recruitment or development.

Also has coaching experience

AlbertK86

Yep he was DOF at Livi a number of years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betty Boop
10-01-2023, 05:05 PM
John Park is at Rangers.
https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/john-park-joins-rangers-ex-24406892

Trinity Hibee
10-01-2023, 05:06 PM
John Park is at Rangers.
https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/john-park-joins-rangers-ex-24406892

Yeah rumour is Beale wants his own people in

HH81
10-01-2023, 05:06 PM
Good news, good to see changes made and hopefully we can move forward.

Callum_62
10-01-2023, 05:08 PM

Which is the one that left us to go to Celtic? That's the one i meant!!John yeah

CapitalGreen
10-01-2023, 05:21 PM

Just reading up about his role at Celtic and it was certainly broader than just recruitment too.

hibby rae
10-01-2023, 05:22 PM
Yeah rumour is Beale wants his own people in

And it appears he's just a standard scout there? So this would be a step up again

CapitalGreen
10-01-2023, 05:22 PM
John Park is at Rangers.

As a part time scout.

hibby rae
10-01-2023, 05:28 PM
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/john-park/profil/trainer/4072

Also worked at Tel Aviv and Vancouver as 'Advisor of Management' according to transfermarkt

Torto7
10-01-2023, 05:28 PM
Nice interview from Ben. Good communication from the club as usual. Ben of course is accused of all sorts on here by certain types without any evidence to back up their claims. Here he is giving a clear and timely update.
The Brentford model isn't the worst idea and can still play a part but it must be merged with a strong first team. I'm not a LJ believer I'm afraid but he'll get my full support if he remains.
As far as the DOF goes I'd be delighted to see JC back at the club and would equally be happy with Park back who had a great record when he was here before.
The gloom can still lift. None of our targets are impossible to reach this season. The squads getting healthier and with some of the excess dross being moved hopefully we can get a midfielder and defender in.

Unseen work
10-01-2023, 05:29 PM
How many of rangers recent signings have improved the team or start?👀

Smartie
10-01-2023, 05:29 PM
Good decision, well communicated.

Sounds a bit like we’re looking for someone who did roughly what George Craig did only with a more extensive football background.

This is the kind of thing I want to hear from Ron - an acknowledgment via action that we’ve made mistakes rather than empty words and more of the same.

CapitalGreen
10-01-2023, 05:32 PM

Ross Wilson is Head of Recruitment at Rangers. Park has been doing opposition scouting on a part time basis.

04Sauzee
10-01-2023, 05:34 PM

Not sure when they were signed or when Park joined Rangers or even if he had time to Scout players or if he even scouts players? but
Colak looks decent
Lawrence has been unlucky with injuries
Soutar injured most of the season which is no surprise

Not sure who else they have signed tbh

matty_f
10-01-2023, 06:00 PM
I hope Hibs treat this appointment as at least as important as the manager's role, and don't hold back on costs. Getting the right person here could be the defining decision of the Gordon era.

Hibees1973
10-01-2023, 06:00 PM
Ben Kensall won't eat for a while. That was a huge bit of humble pie that he ate there.

An acceptance that the last few transfer windows have been a disaster and that they are going to focus on getting players out of the club first. Going by what Ben has said, appointing this DOF is at an early stage.

It is a positive that a DOF is coming in. However, it's been that much of a debacle, waste of time and money that i really hope part of this review means the removal of senior people at the club. I'm not going to say who they are but the review should not just focus on players. The development squad strategy and so many aimless punts has been naive and misguided.

Ron seems to be sticking by Ben no matter what. From what I've heard this has been in the balance the last couple of months. As our owner this will have been Ron's call.

Unseen work
10-01-2023, 06:01 PM
Not sure when they were signed or when Park joined Rangers or even if he had time to Scout players or if he even scouts players? but
Colak looks decent
Lawrence has been unlucky with injuries
Soutar injured most of the season which is no surprise

Not sure who else they have signed tbh

According to transfer market;

Yilmaz - 4 million
Ben Davies - 4.7 million
Rabbi Matondo - 3 million
Antonio Colak - 2.5 million
John Souttar - Free
Tom Lawrence - Free
Malik Tillman - loan

Although my initial post was said sarcastically and I’ve no idea if he had any involvement in the signings, I think it’s important to remember that a new DoF (whoever it may be) doesn’t mean automatic success and that we’ll sign brilliant players, something that some seem to think is a certainty.

All clubs have hit and misses when it comes to signings.

Hopefully whoever comes in does the job, excited to see how it works out

ronaldo7
10-01-2023, 06:03 PM
At last, a decision I can get behind. Let's hope we get this appointment right.

bringbackbenny
10-01-2023, 06:05 PM
Bring Back Bojang

Smartie
10-01-2023, 06:10 PM
Ben Kensall won't eat for a while. That was a huge bit on humble pie that he ate there.

An acceptance that the last few transfer windows have been a disaster and that they are going to focus on getting players out of the club first. Going by what Ben has said, appointing this DOF is at an early stage.

It is a positive that a DOF is coming in. However, it's been that much of a debacle, waste of time and money that i really hope part of this review means the removal of senior people at the club. I'm not going to say who they are but the review should not just focus on players. The development squad strategy and so many aimless punts has been naive and misguided.

Ron seems to be sticking by Ben no matter what. From what I've heard this has been in the balance the last couple of months. As our owner this will have been Ron's call.

One of the rumours I’d heard was that Ron micro manages Ben and doesn’t give him enough space to get on with his job.

Hibs do deserve credit for the way they’ve grown our income, about as much as they deserve criticism for the mess the football department has become.

In spite of everything we’ve still signed the odd good player and our strongest XI looks to be competitive.

I have a hunch that this has probably been something that Ben will have wanted and that he may have finally convinced Ron that this is the way to go.

Either way I agree with Matty’s point that this might prove to be a defining moment for a few people’s time at Hibs - for Ron, for Ben for Ian Gordon, maybe even for Lee Johnson.

Stokesy's on fire
10-01-2023, 06:24 PM
I really hope it is John Park we are looking at

Nicho87
10-01-2023, 06:34 PM
John Park or John Collins I’d be happy with

Well done Ben, took a lot of deserved flack but that’s a big step in the right direction.

Tyler Durden
10-01-2023, 06:36 PM
Hopefully John Collins is nowhere near it. Needs to be someone who has experience of the majority of the key components at a similar sized club in recent years.

The focus on Scottish experience certainly narrows the pool though. Not sure that’s wise personally but no doubt will play well to majority of supporters

CapitalGreen
10-01-2023, 06:37 PM
John Park or John Collins I’d be happy with

Well done Ben, took a lot of deserved flack but that’s a big step in the right direction.

John Collins guiding recruitment? No thanks

Donegal Hibby
10-01-2023, 06:40 PM
He definitely fits in with what they say they are looking for , experience of Scottish football,. Experience in recruitment, good football knowledge , contacts , worked for big clubs

Donegal Hibby
10-01-2023, 06:41 PM
He definitely fits in with what they say they are looking for , experience of Scottish football,. Experience in recruitment, good football knowledge , contacts , worked for big clubs

Callum_62
10-01-2023, 06:50 PM
He definitely fits in with what they say they are looking for , experience of Scottish football,. Experience in recruitment, good football knowledge , contacts , worked for big clubsNeil Lennon

Col2
10-01-2023, 06:52 PM
Positive news at last. This is a big step in the right direction.

When I listened to the interview all I could think was “this is John Park he is talking about” as the emphasis on Scottish football knowledge was mentioned three times and if they didn’t have someone confident they would get, they would be openly restricting themselves on candidates.

Savage at Hearts has little or zero Scottish football knowledge but has done very well since coming in.

Stuart93
10-01-2023, 06:53 PM

When I listened to the interview all I could think was “this is John Park he is talking about” as the emphasis on Scottish football knowledge was mentioned three times and if they didn’t have someone confident they would get, they would be openly restricting themselves on candidates.

Savage at Hearts has little or zero Scottish football knowledge but has done very well since coming in.

But has leaned towards signing players with a lot of experience in Scottish football which I genuinely think tends to work more often than not.

worcesterhibby
10-01-2023, 06:54 PM
Knowledge of Scottish football, doesn’t necessarily mean he will be Scottish.

greenginger
10-01-2023, 06:57 PM

Here’s a Director of Football the might be available

https://leaguemanagers.com/managers/craig-levein/

:greengrin

Tyler Durden
10-01-2023, 07:04 PM

I hope that is the reason too

Otherwise it makes little sense to me

Trinity Hibee
10-01-2023, 07:06 PM
But has leaned towards signing players with a lot of experience in Scottish football which I genuinely think tends to work more often than not.

Agreed, don’t think it’s that special a formula to build a team to compete for 3rd. Hearts have shown that the last year or so. Get players who work hard and can do the basics well. Supplement them with a little more quality through the spine of the team.

theonlywayisup
10-01-2023, 07:10 PM
Knowledge of Scottish football, doesn’t necessarily mean he will be Scottish.

Terry Butcher

:stirrer:

McGruber
10-01-2023, 07:15 PM
Hopefully John Collins is nowhere near it. Needs to be someone who has experience of the majority of the key components at a similar sized club in recent years.

The focus on Scottish experience certainly narrows the pool though. Not sure that’s wise personally but no doubt will play well to majority of supporters

Experience of Scottish football would be good but shouldn't be a major factor - just need to look over the road and the difference Savage has made

Jones28
10-01-2023, 07:19 PM
Remember when Collins was here we were in peak Petrie penny-pinch period, lots of bug infrastructure projects and cash was directed away from the pitch.

He actually didn’t sign the amount of dross that people seem to remember, some decent players.

Although he did sign Alan O’Brien.

Tyler Durden
10-01-2023, 07:20 PM
Remember when Collins was here we were in peak Petrie penny-pinch period, lots of bug infrastructure projects and cash was directed away from the pitch.

He actually didn’t sign the amount of dross that people seem to remember, some decent players.

Did he sign Alan O’Brien?

He did sign the amount of dross that people remember!

Putting that to one side, being the DOF is not just about identifying signings. I don’t see how Collins is qualified given he’s not worked in football for about 10 years

Dmas
10-01-2023, 07:20 PM
John Park sounds like a good fit, I love JC and he obviously has a great knowledge of the game but his recruitment as manager was abysmal I know there’s more areas the DoF will work in than just recruitment but what we’re desperately needing is someone to really take lead on that part from the get go another batch of theiry gathusei and makalambys is not what we’re after

PaulSmith
10-01-2023, 07:25 PM
Ben Kensall won't eat for a while. That was a huge bit of humble pie that he ate there.

You are so far wrong with that assertion. BK has wanted a DoF or similar in role from Day One.

Hibees1973
10-01-2023, 07:25 PM
Experience of Scottish football would be good but shouldn't be a major factor - just need to look over the road and the difference Savage has made

I wouldn't overstate the job Savage has done.

I know many Yams who have criticised numerous signings made by Savage. It shouldn't be forgotten that when Potter and that Geeeerman got punted they were at a very lob ebb.

They were in the championship and have taken advantage of ours and Aberdeen's decline. From where they were a couple of years back they could only improve.

I know a guy who have said the Turk they signed (cost around £400k) should be nowhere near the 1st team and various others, who I've forgotten the names of, have been a waste of money.

Hibees1973
10-01-2023, 07:29 PM
You are so far wrong with that assertion. BK has wanted a DoF or similar in role from Day One.

Well why did he take the role at Hibs when he knew he wasn't going to get one until now, over 2 years later.

Seems a bit of a weak stance by him to put up with this for such a long time.

hibby rae
10-01-2023, 07:34 PM
The MD at Ayr seems to be doing a good job 😉

PaulSmith
10-01-2023, 07:39 PM
Well why did he take the role at Hibs when he knew he wasn't going to get one until now, over 2 years later.

The easy option was to walk away, I’d say that it was a strong decision to stay and try to make the best out of a bad hand that he was (unexpectedly) dealt.

CapitalGreen
10-01-2023, 07:43 PM

It’s not been over 2 years, there was 1 year between Mathie leaving and the board agreeing to employ a new DOF.

Unseen work
10-01-2023, 07:44 PM
Any ideas other than John Park?

Alan Stubbs?
James Fowler?
Alan Burrows?

CapitalGreen
10-01-2023, 07:46 PM

Alan Stubbs?
James Fowler?
Alan Burrows?

A manager, an assistant and a CEO?

Hibees1973
10-01-2023, 07:47 PM
The easy option was to walk away, I’d say that it was a strong decision to stay and try to make the best out of a bad hand that he was (unexpectedly) dealt.

Fair enough, that's your way to look at it.

Hibs supporters have had to 'make the best out of' several unexpected incidents over the last couple of years under the Gordon's & Kensall.

04Sauzee
10-01-2023, 07:48 PM

Alan Stubbs?
James Fowler?
Alan Burrows?

Fowler had a gig at Killie I'm not sure how successful he was?
Is Burrows the CEO at Motherwell or DOF? I know he's a huge Motherwell fan.

I can't think of many people who have a knowledge of Scottish football but also have had some experience in a similar role?

Trinity Hibee
10-01-2023, 07:49 PM

Alan Stubbs?
James Fowler?
Alan Burrows?

Derek adams?

Real Emerald
10-01-2023, 07:49 PM

Maybe the owners were so determined to go down the route of signing untried promising youngsters hoping they’d come good that no descending voice could be heard. I think he’s been railroaded into a policy that until it was proved to fail , it was hard for him to argue against. BTW, that’s just conjecture on my part and no way sticking up for BK, just a theory,

gbhibby
10-01-2023, 07:51 PM
Michael Stewart (cough cough)
Would like Alan Stubbs as DoF

LustForLeith
10-01-2023, 07:54 PM

Just a head up. Savage is Scottish, played in Scotland and was a scout at Hamilton.

I think he’ll have some sort of knowledge of the Scottish game

leith lynx
10-01-2023, 07:56 PM

Alan Stubbs?
James Fowler?
Alan Burrows?
Billy Reid (ex Hamilton)

LunasBoots
10-01-2023, 07:56 PM
Maybe the owners were so determined to go down the route of signing untried promising youngsters hoping they’d come good that no descending voice could be heard. I think he’s been railroaded into a policy that until it was proved to fail , it was hard for him to argue against. BTW, that’s just conjecture on my part and no way sticking up for BK, just a theory,

Makes sense

CapitalGreen
10-01-2023, 08:00 PM
Billy Reid (ex Hamilton)

He’s assistant manager at Chelsea.

berwickhibee
10-01-2023, 08:00 PM
Billy Reid (ex Hamilton)

Is he not at Chelsea now???

bingo70
10-01-2023, 08:03 PM
Nick Hammond?

That’s the third time ive mentioned his name across three different threads, I make no apologies for repeating myself.

Unseen work
10-01-2023, 08:13 PM
A manager, an assistant and a CEO?

Fowler was DoF at killie before and I’ve heard loads of folk mention Burrows before for the role.

Stubbs just sounds like someone who would be good at the rule. Being the glue, getting on with folk, loads of football knowledge and knows the club etc. Old school mixed with modern approach.

You could also argue John park is just a scout.

If you look at most people who are DoF they’ve probably came from similar back grounds to those that I mentioned.

But just genuinely have no idea so putting names out!

Unseen work
10-01-2023, 08:14 PM
Nick Hammond?

That’s the third time ive mentioned his name across three different threads, I make no apologies for repeating myself.

Just googled him, very interesting suggestion and fits the bill .

04Sauzee
10-01-2023, 08:17 PM

Certainly worked at big clubs and at Celtic in Scotland, would need to go digging to see how successful he was at these clubs. Interesting though.

bingo70
10-01-2023, 08:17 PM

Sounds like he never did a very good job at Celtic but from what I can tell, did an excellent job at Newcastle in a short term consultancy role. Suspect he would be out of our reach now.

Hibee Daft
10-01-2023, 08:24 PM
John Collins is the first guy that comes to mind.

Hopefully whoever it is will help recruitment

bingo70
10-01-2023, 08:28 PM
Frank McParland?

Not massive amount of experience in Scottish football but was at Rangers for a while and is Scottish so you would assume there would be a level of knowledge.

Unseen work
10-01-2023, 08:30 PM
Sounds like he never did a very good job at Celtic but from what I can tell, did an excellent job at Newcastle in a short term consultancy role. Suspect he would be out of our reach now.

Never know!

Even Ben kensells CV looks good and prior to joining us some probably would have said is outwith our reach

Trinity Hibee
10-01-2023, 08:31 PM
Paul Lambert?

hibby rae
10-01-2023, 08:33 PM
I think when they talk about knowledge of Scottish football they only really need to know two things.

The first is to not underestimate the standard of it as we have seen many from down south do in the past, and present. The second is to know that games are generally very competitive, you won't get much time on the ball, and it's a physical game.

So really as long as the DoF knows they need players who are up to the standard, and can handle it's other features, it won't matter where they are from too much.

bingo70
10-01-2023, 08:34 PM
Paul Lambert?

Good shout, will Kensell have been at Norwich around the same time as him?

Neil Lennon a possibility?

Trinity Hibee
10-01-2023, 08:37 PM
Good shout, will Kensell have been at Norwich around the same time as him?

Neil Lennon a possibility?

Doesn’t look like they were at Norwich at same time.

Not sure Lennon suits a DoF role

Donegal Hibby
10-01-2023, 08:39 PM
Neil Lennon

I would think Lennon would want another managerial job .

bingo70
10-01-2023, 08:41 PM
Doesn’t look like they were at Norwich at same time.

Not sure Lennon suits a DoF role

You’re probably right but I’ve always felt Lennon had something to offer a club but gets too emotional with the day to day stuff. Taking a step back from the emotion of it but staying involved in the game would probably do him the world of good.

WhileTheChief..
Doubt it will be an ex-player.

Wonder how this will play out with LJ. We still don't know if he identifies players he wants or if others are suggesting players for him to pick from.

Someone needs to have the final say. If it's the new guy, then fair enough, at least everyone knows where we stand. But it would be good to know.

stalbanshibby
Leann Dempster

Hibees1973
10-01-2023, 08:43 PM
Paul Lambert?

A lot of the names mentioned as DOF here are ex-managers. May be difficult for guys such as this not to step on the toes of Johnson.

You would expect Johnson to be involved in the DOF appointment. Which makes me think are we not doing this a**e over t*t.

Normally the DOF puts the structure in place, identifies the style of play and players to recruit, then selects the manager to implement it. We are kind of doing this back to front with Johnson in place already or will our new DOF want to appoint a new manager as well.
Ah well. It might go all swimmingly with a DOF slotted seamlessly in place and we start winning trophies and playing regularly in Europe. :cb

Carheenlea
10-01-2023, 08:45 PM
My preference was for a structural change rather than managerial following the bad run of results, so very pleased with this announcement.

The club have acknowledged that things were not working behind the scenes and it looks like there is now a determination to rectify that.

Sounds like they know who they want and it’s just a case of being patient and making sure the preferred candidate is put in place. Hopefully with some time to have some influence this window but when it’s more outgoings than incomings that are needed right now, the current regime can busy themselves with trying to move on players LJ doesn’t see as fitting his plans.

Rumble de Thump
10-01-2023, 08:49 PM
Cathro

RIP
10-01-2023, 09:31 PM
Would Gordon Strachan be interested?

Been assisting Dundee and part of the team that helped them get promoted only for them to go back down again.

Always had a soft spot for the Hibs and his Scottish football experience is top drawer.

Northernhibee
10-01-2023, 09:32 PM

Been assisting Dundee and part of the team that helped them get promoted only for them to go back down again.

Always had a soft spot for the Hibs and his Scottish football experience is top drawer.

Dundee appointed Mark McGhee.

No thanks.

K Kay
10-01-2023, 09:33 PM
Paul Lambert?

Has to be one of the worst managers in British football, hopefully he’s nowhere near our club.

Carheenlea
10-01-2023, 09:34 PM

Just something about Strachan I’ve never been able to warm to in recent years. Seemed to turn into a bit of a smart Alec and general tool when he went to Celtic.

Iain G
10-01-2023, 09:40 PM
Jan Hordon?

cameronw-hfc
10-01-2023, 09:45 PM

Hires his pals and family. No thanks.

Donegal Hibby
10-01-2023, 10:17 PM
Here’s a Director of Football the might be available

https://leaguemanagers.com/managers/craig-levein/

:greengrin
Now that's going to give me nightmares 😳. What about Kenny McDowell ?

Clarence
11-01-2023, 02:16 AM
We need someone that is from fitba folk and that ken whits gaun oan. You know there is only one candidate.

Just_Jimmy
11-01-2023, 02:47 AM
John Collins guiding recruitment? No thanksWhilst I agree and certainly understand the sentiment, its worth noting that Collins wanted Steve Hammell and Steven naismith and ended up with dross.

Whilst these were unrealistic, I wouldn't say Collins chose the players he was working with. I'd say his issue was clearly man management. He lost the dressing room.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Dmas
11-01-2023, 05:45 AM
Whilst I agree and certainly understand the sentiment, its worth noting that Collins wanted Steve Hammell and Steven naismith and ended up with dross.

Whilst these were unrealistic, I wouldn't say Collins chose the players he was working with. I'd say his issue was clearly man management. He lost the dressing room.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

He lost the dressing room and recruited terribly, it would have been a difficult task replacing most of the players leaving under JC’s watch anyway but the players he brought in where largely very poor

Since452
11-01-2023, 05:51 AM
Probably be someone we've never hearyof like the guy Hearts appointed.

DetroitHibs
11-01-2023, 06:07 AM
Martin O'Neill

MikeyS
11-01-2023, 06:24 AM
Martin O'Neill

Would be a very interesting candidate I think.

Would also mirror our last attempt at a DoF type role when we brought Billy McNeill in during the Duffy disaster!

Trinity Hibee
11-01-2023, 06:38 AM
another name: Alex McLeish?

MikeyS
11-01-2023, 06:58 AM
Am not sure it is going to be a name we are familiar with and I'm quite happy with that but I don't think that will go down well with the majority of the fan base judging by the names thrown around on here and social media. Seems most have their hearts set on former players/managers getting it.

Look around the big clubs in England and other than Edu at Arsenal the DoF is usually a relatively unknown guy that's worked in clubs and has a Uni degree.

Having said all that though, I think Darren Fletcher could be worth checking out.

Not In The Know
11-01-2023, 07:08 AM
Am not sure it is going to be a name we are familiar with and I'm quite happy with that but I don't think that will go down well with the majority of the fan base judging by the names thrown around on here and social media. Seems most have their hearts set on former players/managers getting it.

Look around the big clubs in England and other than Edu at Arsenal the DoF is usually a relatively unknown guy that's worked in clubs and has a Uni degree.

Having said all that though, I think Darren Fletcher could be worth checking out.

Yeah I think the role is weighted more 60% director knowledge / 40% football knowledge.

The Modfather
11-01-2023, 07:12 AM
#AnnounceJimDuffy

MikeyS
11-01-2023, 07:15 AM
#AnnounceJimDuffy

He has the experience! Hearts DoF for a spell under Romanov 😃

bigwheel
11-01-2023, 07:32 AM

Isn’t he DOF at Man Utd ?? Or some sort of equivalent role

Stubbsy90+2
11-01-2023, 07:45 AM
Don’t want John Collins anywhere near it.

matty_f
11-01-2023, 07:58 AM
Don’t want John Collins anywhere near it.

Why not?

That was my view initially but the more I think of it, the more I come round to the idea.

- he has great knowledge of Scottish football, has worked at the biggest club in Scotland and has a solid connection with us, so understanding the club.
- has wider experience of European football, international football and English football and contacts throughout Europe as a result.
- has a football philosophy aligned to the club's
- sets high standards

The obvious con is his transfer activity at Hibs but that was fifteen years ago and he's not going to be the guy that's going the ground work on recruitment targets, imho he'd be making sure that the recruitment team are identifying targets that are suited to the game here, which I think he could do.

bingo70
11-01-2023, 08:18 AM
Why not?

That was my view initially but the more I think of it, the more I come round to the idea.

- he has great knowledge of Scottish football, has worked at the biggest club in Scotland and has a solid connection with us, so understanding the club.
- has wider experience of European football, international football and English football and contacts throughout Europe as a result.
- sets high standards

The obvious con is his transfer activity at Hibs but that was fifteen years ago and he's not going to be the guy that's going the ground work on recruitment targets, imho he'd be making sure that the recruitment team are identifying targets that are suited to the game here, which I think he could do.

I’m not sure how relevant his contacts would be any more? It’s such a fast moving industry and a lot has changed in the way clubs recruit players since he was a manager. Somebody else touched on it earlier but it’s basically the nerds and business people who run transfers now rather than former players who become coaches.

I’m not dead against the idea of JC but I think it’s unlikely to be him. If he never had a Hibs connection his name wouldn’t be mentioned and whilst in some ways the connection would be good, I’m not sure it’ll be enough to impress Kensell or the Gordon’s.

hibsbollah
11-01-2023, 08:24 AM
I hate the thread title BTW.
Thought I’d missed something.
DOF Confirmed?
No he isn’t.

MikeyS
11-01-2023, 08:26 AM
I’m not sure how relevant his contacts would be any more? It’s such a fast moving industry and a lot has changed in the way clubs recruit players since he was a manager. Somebody else touched on it earlier but it’s basically the nerds and business people who run transfers now rather than former players who become coaches.

I’m not dead against the idea of JC but I think it’s unlikely to be him. If he never had a Hibs connection his name wouldn’t be mentioned and whilst in some ways the connection would be good, I’m not sure it’ll be enough to impress Kensell or the Gordon’s.

I'm in agreement with you mate except the part about impressing rhe Gordon's. I can totally see them fawning over Collins.

MikeyS
11-01-2023, 08:29 AM
Isn’t he DOF at Man Utd ?? Or some sort of equivalent role

Technical Director apparently - https://www.si.com/soccer/manchesterunited/.amp/interviews/darren-fletcher-gives-clarity-role-manchester-united

His description in that article doesn't give too much away bit sounds to me like a peripheral figure in a big machine. Might fancy being the main man here.

CapitalGreen
11-01-2023, 08:33 AM
Why not?

- sets high standards

We need someone to come in and overhaul our approach to recruitment. What are Collins credentials/experience in building a modern player identification and recruitment department? I’d rather someone who I’d never heard of but knows the role inside out over a prestigious name with little to no experience of being a DoF/leading recruitment.

Hibbyradge
11-01-2023, 08:34 AM
I mean, if it goes as successfully as last time we introduced this structure and ends in us winning the SC again, I’ll probably struggle to find something to complain about

You'll manage.

Since452
11-01-2023, 08:36 AM
Why not?

- sets high standards

His signings when at Hibs were absolutely honking and he set us on a long path of mediocrity. His ego is also massive. I'm not sure what kind of relationship he would have with the manager. I think it would quickly become the John Collins show. I'm not even sure he'd want the job anyway.

Smartie
11-01-2023, 08:53 AM
Why not?

- sets high standards

The biggest con for me would be that he decided to bring in Tommy Craig to help him when he was the manager.

Collins had something about him and he really needed a right hand man who would have compensated for his own rough edges. I don't think he got that with Craig and I think a lot of his transfer issues were probably also down to Craig (as well as the board for not backing him more to bring in his preferred targets).

This job will mainly be about choosing people and I don't know that John Collins has ever really demonstrated that to be a strength of his.

Having said that, I've always thought Jon Collins has had something about him and it's a shame he hasn't really done more since his playing career. I've always felt that there's an untapped potential of some sort in there albeit alongside a good few flaws too.

I'm comfortable with the idea that this might be someone who isn't that high profile and that it might be down to cv and interview to decide on the best candidate. There are unsung heroes carrying out huge jobs at the biggest of clubs and I wouldn't mind if this ended up being similar.

.Sean.
11-01-2023, 09:21 AM
Would there be space for John Park as DoF and also having Collins with a role?

The Modfather
11-01-2023, 09:22 AM

Always though Collins was a natural fit for something more akin to the role Steve Kean is doing.

Nakedmanoncrack
11-01-2023, 09:52 AM
Whilst a welcome development, it's a pity it's taken things getting as bad as they are before those in charge have been willing to acknowledge what has been blatantly obvious for a long time. How much of our money has been wasted on the madness of the Gordon/Kendall era to get to this point? Let's hope they get this appointment right, and allow the DOF to do his job of righting the mess he will inherit.

GreenCastle
11-01-2023, 09:52 AM
Glad to see us acting so try improve something which hasn’t been working for a while.

The key is obviously the right person as get the wrong candidate and doesn’t matter if we have a DOF or not we will still struggle. Personally with stay away from people who have been out the game for a while - think you need someone up to date with processes and technology.

Few things..

There is a bit of a trend recently of Ben reacting to bad press or fan pressure. Few stories with players recently to try protect them and get fans back on side.

The interview would have been scripted to get the information out in a way he wanted and fans want to hear and I would imagine he wrote the questions too.

This DOF chat the timing is odd. Why wasn’t this sorted during the break? Any co-incidence it’s to also take the heat off the manager and recruitment - quite probable.

matty_f
11-01-2023, 10:00 AM

He's continued to operate in football since leaving Hibs and stopping managing. I'd think he's got plenty current contacts, to be honest.

bingo70
11-01-2023, 10:02 AM
He's continued to operate in football since leaving Hibs and stopping managing. I'd think he's got plenty current contacts, to be honest.

Has he? What has he been doing other than media work?

matty_f
11-01-2023, 10:04 AM

I don't know specifically, but I bumped into him at the airport lounge not that long ago and he was working on a presentation for UEFA on his laptop so I don't think he's been sat with his thumb up his backside.

hibby rae
11-01-2023, 10:06 AM

Fitness coach 😉💪💪

bingo70
11-01-2023, 10:07 AM
I don't know specifically, but I bumped into him at the airport lounge not that long ago and he was working on a presentation for UEFA on his laptop so I don't think he's been sat with his thumb up his backside.

That’s interesting then, cheers

CapitalGreen
11-01-2023, 10:14 AM

Is any of it recruitment related?

jeffers
11-01-2023, 10:14 AM

I’m maybe imagining this (I am getting old after all) but is Collins not involved with players in some capacity. Seem to remember seeing him when a player was signing for a club. Not sure I could be much more vague here :greengrin

Or I could have done a quick search before posting my first paragraph. He’s on LinkedIn as a Football Consultant.

Ozyhibby
11-01-2023, 10:30 AM
I’d be worried about Collins as he is not much of a people person and the job will need someone who can manage relationships. Same reason Michael Stewart shouldn’t be considered. Both too much about themselves.

pollution
11-01-2023, 10:37 AM
I’m maybe imagining this (I am getting old after all) but is Collins not involved with players in some capacity. Seem to remember seeing him when a player was signing for a club. Not sure I could be much more vague here :greengrin

Or I could have done a quick search before posting my first paragraph. He’s on LinkedIn as a Football Consultant.

He would not be welcomed back after the way he left us 16 years ago. Although you never know...but I doubt it.

I'm Spartacus
11-01-2023, 10:42 AM
At last, a footballing decision I can get behind, and I say that as I hope this role stops wee laddies playing Football Manager.

Garymcl
11-01-2023, 10:47 AM
Will this be our first dof

jeffers
11-01-2023, 10:51 AM
He would not be welcomed back after the way he left us 16 years ago. Although you never know...but I doubt it.

Not saying I want him, but if he does a good job the past would be forgotten imo. Football fans are the epitome of fickle.

pollution
11-01-2023, 10:54 AM
Not saying I want him, but if he does a good job the past would be forgotten imo. Football fans are the epitome of fickle.

That is very true !

The Modfather
11-01-2023, 11:20 AM

He left us with a trophy in the cabinet and a big hand the eventual fees we got for the likes of Brown & Thomson etc as well as playing a big part in us building East Mains.

Yes he left a poor squad for the next man. He’s not the first manager to do that, it’s a long Hibs list.

I also find it strange that the poor people management criticism has stuck with Collins, although I’m sure there was some truth in it, yet just a few years later Petrie had to publicly address the toxic player culture at Hibs. There was probably wrong on all sides but Petrie’s admission about our culture paints Collins in a better light, in hindsight, in terms of the revolt IMO.

I’d not be against Collins but would much prefer someone with more recruitment focused experience.

Do we think the pathway from the U19s to the first team, which seems non existent, will fall under the DOF remit? In partnership with the Job Steve Kean is doing. Just feels like we need the last bit to be put in place. The DOF to hire managers/give them instructions to use our youth academy at every sensible opportunity.

CockneyRebel
11-01-2023, 11:37 AM
I hate the thread title BTW.
Thought I’d missed something.
DOF Confirmed?
No he isn’t.

Confirmed that a DOF is to be recruited. :pray:

davhibby
11-01-2023, 11:41 AM
Why not?

- sets high standards

The obvious con is that he’s done this job before at Livingston and wasn’t very good. If we were to bring in a manager that had failed at a club like Livingston in the Championship and then sat in the house for 10 years there would be riots.

John Collins shouldn’t be anywhere near this.

The dalmeny
11-01-2023, 11:46 AM

He is an agent, has at least 1 hibs boy on his books

Hibs4185
11-01-2023, 11:55 AM
Why not?

- sets high standards

I was seeing a girl who’s dad worked at Hibs. She was telling me that Collins wouldn’t even allow the receptionist to eat sandwiches because of the bread 🤣

He would definitely set standards within the club, whether people could live with those standards is another matter but if you want to punch above your weight then that is what is needed.

Stonewall
11-01-2023, 11:59 AM
I think that as things stand at the club this is all a bit arse over tit.

It would be preferable to have the dof in place and involved in the recruitment of the manager rather than bringing him in over the head of the existing manager imo. Take from that what you will, I guess it could mean it’s a big risk or the prelude to a change of manager.

Leeann had her strong points and weaknesses but at least the structure was clear; I can’t see how this works other than as part of a wider restructure.

Trinity Hibee
11-01-2023, 12:02 PM

It would be preferable to have the dof in place and involved in the recruitment of the manager rather than bringing him in over the head of the existing manager imo. Take from that what you will, I guess it could mean it’s a big risk or the prelude to a change of manager.

Leeann had her strong points and weaknesses but at least the structure was clear; I can’t see how this works other than as part of a wider restructure.

Think you could be right, come the summer I think we can expect big changes

Smartie
11-01-2023, 12:02 PM

I wouldn’t disagree, although you can only start right now and from the position we’re in right now.

This move is a step in the right direction towards solving the arse over tit-ness.

We’ve probably stalled on making what is an eminently sensible move because of that.

CapitalGreen
11-01-2023, 12:11 PM

The alternative could involve a change of manager too. Either sack the current manager and appoint a DoF to recruit a new one or appoint a DoF who decides he doesn’t want the current manager so he recruits a new one.

Hearts and Newcastle are doing ok after bringing in a DoF while a manager was in place.

Stonewall
11-01-2023, 12:13 PM
I wouldn’t disagree, although you can only start right now and from the position we’re in right now.

This move is a step in the right direction towards solving the arse over tit-ness.

We’ve probably stalled on making what is an eminently sensible move because of that.

That makes sense. Not suggesting that relegation was a good thing but it was an advantage for LD to start with a blank sheet of paper last time and I think a great deal of autonomy. Either because Petrie’s credibility was in tatters or because he trusted LD more than the previous appointees.

DIXIHIBS
11-01-2023, 12:16 PM

If you wait till the manager is gone before recruiting a dof then you will end up looking for both at the same time. Bringing him in now allows him a proper look at Johnson and the current set ip he can then make decisions based on facts rather than looking in from the outside.

DIXIHIBS
11-01-2023, 12:17 PM

Arse over tit-ness...👍😀

leftpeg
11-01-2023, 12:20 PM
Will this be our first dofBilly McNeil was brought in as a director of football when Jim Duffy was manager

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
11-01-2023, 12:31 PM
Kensall said that the DOF will support the manager not oversee him.Any idea that he will be recruiting managers is wide of the mark I think.

GreenNWhiteArmy
11-01-2023, 12:35 PM
Intrigued to see where this goes.

Looking at the original statement from Ben, I wonder if we're targeting individuals that have been involved at either of the two cheeks?

"I need someone with knowledge in the Scottish game. I want them to have worked with and for big clubs in senior positions, and I want that football expertise"

Martin O'Neil?
Alex McLeish (gulp)
Paul Lambert?
Barry Ferguson?

CapitalGreen
11-01-2023, 12:44 PM
Kensall said that the DOF will support the manager not oversee him.Any idea that he will be recruiting managers is wide of the mark I think.

The DoF would certainly be involved in the recruitment of any future managers however deciding whether the current manager is sacked will remain a board decision.

Brightside
11-01-2023, 12:51 PM
I’ll be astonished if it’s not John Park.

WhileTheChief..
11-01-2023, 01:05 PM

Agreed, but it’s just because it’s easy to rattle off ex players or managers names!

We’ve no idea who has experience of running clubs, or recruitment depts at clubs or whatever else. It’s an admin role. It doesn’t need a ‘name’ in there.

We’ll get a Neil Doncaster type I’d imagine rather than a John Collins or any other ridiculous ex-players names that have been banded about.

Greenworld
11-01-2023, 01:08 PM
Would Gordon Strachan be a viable candidate

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Greenio
11-01-2023, 01:12 PM
That makes sense. Not suggesting that relegation was a good thing but it was an advantage for LD to start with a blank sheet of paper last time and I think a great deal of autonomy. Either because Petrie’s credibility was in tatters or because he trusted LD more than the previous appointees.

Or maybe it was down to her being good at her job and taking the reins?

Colr
11-01-2023, 01:14 PM

I think he has turned down bigger gigs than the Hibees!

hhibs
11-01-2023, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Garymcl;7226838]Will this be our first dof[/QUO

Billy McNeil

Since452
11-01-2023, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=Garymcl;7226838]Will this be our first dof[/QUO

Billy McNeil

Did we not have a similar set up when Dempster was here. George Craig? Director of football in all but name.

Iain G
11-01-2023, 02:26 PM
Would Gordon Strachan be a viable candidate

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I would hope not!!

I'm Spartacus
11-01-2023, 02:39 PM
Mind when Jim Duffy was appointed next door! And folk are complaining about John Collins.

Strachan
Le God
Collins
Stubbs would be too much of a shadow

Someone who understands the club and can sell us and Edinburgh to some gems.

I'm Spartacus
11-01-2023, 02:41 PM
The thread title is a little mis-leading, lets see if we are still waiting 3 months down the line. We need someone in asap who can have everything ready for a good next transfer window.

HoboHarry
11-01-2023, 02:47 PM
Le God would make me swoon. Maybe they got into his ear when he was over :)

bigwheel
11-01-2023, 02:52 PM
Le God would make me swoon. Maybe they got into his ear when he was over :)

I love Sauzee..but as far as I know he’s not had a gig in football for over 20 years ..only media work . He has not track record to be the answer here .

CapitalGreen
11-01-2023, 03:02 PM
Mental how many people think the way to solve a lack of experience running the football side of the club is appointing someone with no experience running the football side of a club.

AlbertK86
11-01-2023, 03:41 PM
He left us with a trophy in the cabinet and a big hand the eventual fees we got for the likes of Brown & Thomson etc as well as playing a big part in us building East Mains.

Yes he left a poor squad for the next man. He’s not the first manager to do that, it’s a long Hibs list.

I also find it strange that the poor people management criticism has stuck with Collins, although I’m sure there was some truth in it, yet just a few years later Petrie had to publicly address the toxic player culture at Hibs. There was probably wrong on all sides but Petrie’s admission about our culture paints Collins in a better light, in hindsight, in terms of the revolt IMO.

I’d not be against Collins but would much prefer someone with more recruitment focused experience.

Do we think the pathway from the U19s to the first team, which seems non existent, will fall under the DOF remit? In partnership with the Job Steve Kean is doing. Just feels like we need the last bit to be put in place. The DOF to hire managers/give them instructions to use our youth academy at every sensible opportunity.

Agree re Collins and what he did for us. If he had been backed properly by Rod I believe he would’ve done well.

Mikey Stewart was at the heart of that player revolt. Thought he was the self appointed spokesman for the young guns and thought he knew better than Collins.

Stewart has gone on to show he is a manipulative gobsh173 when he wrongly interprets the rules to try and influence refs, media and the public and to suit his own agenda.

Not surprised when they had a public spat after the derby.

I’d be happy with Collins or Park or even both

zitelli62
11-01-2023, 04:12 PM
Agree re Collins and what he did for us. If he had been backed properly by Rod I believe he would’ve done well.

Mikey Stewart was at the heart of that player revolt. Thought he was the self appointed spokesman for the young guns and thought he knew better than Collins.

Stewart has gone on to show he is a manipulative gobsh173 when he wrongly interprets the rules to try and influence refs, media and the public and to suit his own agenda.

Now both That would be a dream team.

Onion
11-01-2023, 04:16 PM
The thread title is a little mis-leading, lets see if we are still waiting 3 months down the line. We need someone in asap who can have everything ready for a good next transfer window.

Exactly. Kensall will have been feeling the heat from disastrous performance on the pitch and run up to ST season. This statement of intent, while welcome, is just that. Will start celebrating once we see tangible evidence of improvement in our recruitment and on-field performances. Long, long way to go.

MikeyS
11-01-2023, 04:31 PM

Change Mikey Stewart for Scott Brown and you are almost right! Rod did back Collins also, the following year all thr trouble makers where gone and JC was still in charge just this time he had recruited a load of sh*te players.

hibsbollah
11-01-2023, 04:38 PM
If you look at a lot of DoFs they’ve earned their corn being scouts, then chief scouts, made a few successful player finds who’ve made the club money and got them noticed , then moved to a big club, got the DOF gig and made bigger name signings who’ve been successful and got them more noticed. But scouts and dofs aren’t usually household names even if you follow wyscout and all that stuff.

So personally I hope none of us have heard of the guy, that means he’s probably well qualified for the job.

Baldy Foghorn
11-01-2023, 04:44 PM
I love Sauzee..but as far as I know he’s not had a gig in football for over 20 years ..only media work . He has not track record to be the answer here .

He also wasn't well recently. I doubt being a DoF would help with any health issues

Bayern Bru
11-01-2023, 04:48 PM
He also wasn't well recently. I doubt being a DoF would help with any health issues

Certainly not being DoF at Hibs...

AlbertK86
11-01-2023, 05:01 PM
Change Mikey Stewart for Scott Brown and you are almost right! Rod did back Collins also, the following year all thr trouble makers where gone and JC was still in charge just this time he had recruited a load of sh*te players.

Info I got via a member of staff was it was Mikey Stewart. [emoji2375]

RIP
11-01-2023, 05:29 PM
I was at East Mains for the grand opening. The training centre and academy had been the vision sold to Sir Tom and Rod by Tony Mowbray.

The trouble is that it soaked up a huge wedge of money. In his speech, Tom waxed lyrical about it serving the community in East Lothian

John Collins had been excited by the potential of the club and he had put a list of targets before the board. But the budget just wasn't available due to the cost of the East Mains project.

JC didn't leave Hibs the day after EM opened because of a few complaints over his then futuristic training methods. Its noticeable that pros like Rob Jones, Chris Hogg and Lewis all bought into Collins' philosophy with techniques that are now adopted by most SPL clubs today.

He left because he believed that the money should have been spent on the first team. And given the millions spent on EM this past 15 years with next to no return in terms of first-team players, maybe he knew what he was talking about?

Bridge hibs
11-01-2023, 05:39 PM
I was at East Mains for the grand opening. The training centre and academy had been the vision sold to Sir Tom and Rod by Tony Mowbray.

The trouble is that it soaked up a huge wedge of money. In his speech, Tom waxed lyrical about it serving the community in East Lothian

John Collins had been excited by the potential of the club and he had put a list of targets before the board. But the budget just wasn't available due to the cost of the East Mains project.

JC didn't leave Hibs the day after EM opened because of a few complaints over his then futuristic training methods. Its noticeable that pros like Rob Jones, Chris Hogg and Lewis all bought into Collins' philosophy with techniques that are now adopted by most SPL clubs today.

He left because he believed that the money should have been spent on the first team. And given the millions spent on EM this past 15 years with next to no return in terms of first-team players, maybe he knew what he was talking about?

He never complained at the time though and seemed quite pleased with the new facilities according to this

Collins hails new training centre
Hibs manager John Collins (left) and chairman Rod Petrie
Collins unveils the new complex with club chairman Rod Petrie
Hibernian manager John Collins has welcomed the official opening of the Edinburgh team's new £4.9m training complex in East Mains.
"The facility is better than anything I have worked with, in England or in France," Collins told the club website.

"It will be of great help in producing talented footballers for the club.

"It should also be a major selling point in bringing professional players to the club, along with our stadium and the city itself."

hibby rae
11-01-2023, 05:39 PM

It could be argued having East Mains has helped entice some of our best players in that period to sign for the club though

CapitalGreen
11-01-2023, 05:44 PM

Collins had more money to spend than Mowbray did in his first summer window and brought in significantly worse players. Six figure sums for Alan O’Brien and Makalambay FFS. He might have had less to spend than he wanted but the idea he was working with no money at all is nonsense.

“Collins' philosophy with techniques that are now adopted by most SPL clubs today” - most clubs have training facilities today too but if what you say is correct Collins would still have us training on dog **** covered public parks.

HTC is a training centre first and foremost, it’s primary function is as a place for players to train, the academy and all else is a secondary function.

Jones28
11-01-2023, 05:50 PM
He never complained at the time though and seemed quite pleased with the new facilities according to this

Collins hails new training centre
Hibs manager John Collins (left) and chairman Rod Petrie
Collins unveils the new complex with club chairman Rod Petrie
Hibernian manager John Collins has welcomed the official opening of the Edinburgh team's new £4.9m training complex in East Mains.
"The facility is better than anything I have worked with, in England or in France," Collins told the club website.

"It will be of great help in producing talented footballers for the club.

"It should also be a major selling point in bringing professional players to the club, along with our stadium and the city itself."

That’s all true. Still doesn’t mean what RIP is saying is not true.

What’s he supposed to say? “Collins hails training centre as waste of money”?

Stonewall
11-01-2023, 05:58 PM
Or maybe it was down to her being good at her job and taking the reins?

I though that was implied, but reading back it probably wasn't.

BSEJVT
11-01-2023, 06:00 PM

What’s he supposed to say? “Collins hails training centre as waste of money”?

Entirely possible that whilst lauding HTC he knew that his hands had been tied by its costs

The two are not mutually exclusive .

My opinion was and is that Collins being the consummate professional knew that he was doomed to fail at Hibs through lack of cash and left before his reputation was totally trashed.

Hibs4185
11-01-2023, 06:10 PM

The pyramids that Collins had built that never got used after he left!

Bridge hibs
11-01-2023, 06:22 PM

What’s he supposed to say? “Collins hails training centre as waste of money”?He should just have said its a total waste of money and I want my team training on dug **** covered pitches at the JKC and give me the millions for players Rod you tight fisted ****

greenlex
11-01-2023, 07:07 PM

I think the return on youth has been ok. There’s players in the first team and others sold for decent money. Add in the facilities helping to bring in others that we might not have attracted and subsequently successfully moved on then it’s certainly been a worthwhile investment. Maybe he couldn’t see the bigger picture.

tamig
11-01-2023, 07:35 PM

Pathetic :rolleyes:

CapitalGreen
11-01-2023, 07:41 PM
I think the return on youth has been ok. There’s players in the first team and others sold for decent money. Add in the facilities helping to bring in others that we might not have attracted and subsequently successfully moved on then it’s certainly been a worthwhile investment. Maybe he couldn’t see the bigger picture.

Close to 2000 first team Hibs appearances by players who have spent time in the academy at HTC.

McD
11-01-2023, 09:00 PM
Entirely possible that whilst lauding HTC he knew that his hands had been tied by its costs

My opinion was and is that Collins being the consummate professional knew that he was doomed to fail at Hibs through lack of cash and left before his reputation was totally trashed.

whilst I have some time for Collins and actually think he’d do really well working at the upper end of an academy (where his methods and teaching about preparation and lifestyle will be much better received), I think you’re being a little generous to him here. He went to Charleroi, and failed. The Celtic squad that he was asst manager for weren’t anything great, and he’s not been involved with any other senior coaching (afaik).

I think he’s a guy who has great ideas about preparation, dedication, mindset, and how to train and live the life of an excellent pro footballer. He’s not got a good track record of buying players, and I don’t think tactically he’s great either (or at the very least, at his time at Hibs). He’s the one that had makalaby only allowed to roll the ball out, even when a break was on or when the opposition has worked us out.

I’d be delighted if Hibs could get him in to work with the youth players, I think he’s be fantastic with them

Donegal Hibby
11-01-2023, 09:15 PM
Tam McManus probably right here.

https://twitter.com/PLZSoccer/status/1613232357900705794

Fuzzywuzzy
12-01-2023, 08:16 AM

Which he probably read a thread on here

Dmas
12-01-2023, 08:32 AM
How much of the DoF role will be with the academy do we think? I think Kean seems to be doing a great job with Gareth Evans etc was wondering how much of this DoF role would dilute from his job also is Eddie May still employed in and around the academy?

I'm Spartacus
12-01-2023, 09:08 AM

Why doesn't Tam throw his hat in the ring, he seems to think he knows how we should be run.

Helensburghhibs
12-01-2023, 09:29 AM
Tam came through hibs when John Park was chief scout so knows him well. That aside I can't disagree with him, John's background is scouting but was heavily involved in firstly signing young players (goc,riordon,brown etc) and lately setting up our Pro youth. I even had him as a coach for a stint. He also has a pretty ruthless streak, if he has the desire for it he is definitely a candidate

Nicho87
12-01-2023, 10:06 AM
Alan burrows resigned from Motherwell just now

Interesting timing?….

HendoDelivered
12-01-2023, 10:06 AM
Allan Burrows to step down from Motherwell.

GreenGray
12-01-2023, 10:08 AM
Is he someone we would consider? He was a CEO at Motherwell not sure how involved he was in recruitment.

CapitalGreen
12-01-2023, 10:10 AM
We need someone with scouting experience not a CEO.

I'm Spartacus
12-01-2023, 10:11 AM
Alan burrows resigned from Motherwell just now

Interesting timing?….

Interesting timing indeed. Makes BK's video a bit random timing if the appointment was imminent.

Our last Motherwell appointment worked out pretty well.

GreenNWhiteArmy
12-01-2023, 10:15 AM
Burrows to work alongside Kensell in some capacity would be good. Burrows work in serving the wider community of Motherwell was fantastic and something we're in need of

04Sauzee
12-01-2023, 10:16 AM
Burrows would be a bizarre appointment, if Ben Kensell was moving on I could get it if he was being appointed as CEO . Would he really go from CEO to working as a DOF under Ben? Did he ever have a DOF at Motherwell? How did the recruitment/academy at Motherwell function?

Smartie
12-01-2023, 10:19 AM
Did George Craig not originally hold some sort of fan’s post at Falkirk?

I don’t think he’d had a lifelong career in football before joining Hibs.

Burrows is impressive but I always thought he was a Motherwell man and one who wouldn’t easily move to another Scottish club.

CapitalGreen
12-01-2023, 10:30 AM
Alan Burrows is jumping ship now to avoid having a relegation on his CV is my guess. I’m not believing his new year, fresh start reason for leaving, most people in his position would leave at the end of the season to allow a smoother handover.

Brightside
12-01-2023, 10:34 AM
Burrows to work alongside Kensell in some capacity would be good. Burrows work in serving the wider community of Motherwell was fantastic and something we're in need of

We have no reason for another CEO or deputy CEO.

Heisenberg
12-01-2023, 10:49 AM

I’ve no idea why folk are touting him to come to Hibs. Loads on Twitter suggesting it but there’s no job for him at the club. Strange.

hibsforeurope
12-01-2023, 10:50 AM

Could there perhaps be a position for him following the review of the failed transfer windows mentioned in the video earlier in the week. Only 2 people left to carry the can for this.

Blaster
12-01-2023, 10:53 AM

Maybe not yet but don’t think Ben will be here long. He’ll be hoping for bigger club at some stage

MelbourneHibees
12-01-2023, 10:56 AM
People suggesting him for Hibs. Presumably not for this DOF role which is absolutely nothing like the role he held at Motherwell.

Think about it. That's like Hearts putting Romanov in charge of player recruitment...

Jones28
12-01-2023, 11:18 AM

I agree with this, he was given minimal budget and felt he was hamstrung by the budgets.

Jones28
12-01-2023, 11:19 AM

In what capacity?

Surely Burrows would only come to Hibs to take up BK's position.

silverhibee
12-01-2023, 11:28 AM
Tam came through hibs when John Park was chief scout so knows him well. That aside I can't disagree with him, John's background is scouting but was heavily involved in firstly signing young players (goc,riordon,brown etc) and lately setting up our Pro youth. I even had him as a coach for a stint. He also has a pretty ruthless streak, if he has the desire for it he is definitely a candidate

You not thinking of Donald Park.?

CapitalGreen
12-01-2023, 11:28 AM
I agree with this, he was given minimal budget and felt he was hamstrung by the budgets.

Why would you give more money to someone who spent £300k spent on Makalambay and O’Brien. He has the right approach to how football should be played but he’s an abysmal judge of talent.

Hibernian Verse
12-01-2023, 11:38 AM

Working with the community in 32k population Motherwell would be entirely different from the Capital city.

Our community foundation does good work already and we've had Friday Night Football for a tenner/fiver trialled by the club themselves. Sadly, we are never going to go back to being the "community club" we once were which I think you're referring to when you say we're in need of it.

Jones28
12-01-2023, 11:48 AM
Why would you give more money to someone who spent £300k spent on Makalambay and O’Brien. He has the right approach to how football should be played but he’s an abysmal judge of talent.

Are you not acknowledging he was at a limit with his budget and could only piss with the tadger he had?

He signed Obrien from Newcastle and Makalamby got a hard time due to his predecessors. Folk were desperate for him to make errors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yves_Ma-Kalambay Some interesting points on his wikipedia about his time at Hibs.

I'm not going to defend Obrien, had the heart of a mouse, and was about as effective as one would be. Fast though.

CapitalGreen
12-01-2023, 11:55 AM
Are you not acknowledging he was at a limit with his budget and could only piss with the tadger he had?

He signed Obrien from Newcastle and Makalamby got a hard time due to his predecessors. Folk were desperate for him to make errors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yves_Ma-Kalambay Some interesting points on his wikipedia about his time at Hibs.

I'm not going to defend Obrien, had the heart of a mouse, and was about as effective as one would be. Fast though.

Mowbray had a smaller budget and spent it all more effectively. Struggle to take anyone seriously (including Collins) who tries to argue that those players he brought in were the best he could get with money.

Jones28
12-01-2023, 12:03 PM
Mowbray had a smaller budget and spent it all more effectively. Struggle to take anyone seriously (including Collins) who tries to argue that those players he brought in were the best he could get with money.

Mowbray also had the golden generation at his disposal.

Park had also just left Hibs for Celtic at that point I think, so double whammy.

Don't get me wrong, I want Park for the job but I think Collins would be a good appointment as well.

hibsforeurope
12-01-2023, 12:07 PM

Park had also just left Hibs for Celtic at that point I think, so double whammy.

Don't get me wrong, I want Park for the job but I think Collins would be a good appointment as well.

Collins would be a good fit for the DOF role, he's a big name and has been involved in some big clubs in Scotland and abroad.

The recruitment department is also under review, who's to say JP isn't coming in to head that department.

Smartie
12-01-2023, 12:09 PM

I've always thought Collins would be good for something, just not sure it's this job.

I'm Spartacus
12-01-2023, 12:37 PM
I've always thought Collins would be good for something, just not sure it's this job.

He is, arse licking really rich folk down at Craigielaw.

Baader
12-01-2023, 12:39 PM
Like John Collins a lot but would not want him in as DoF. Recalling his signings as manager is the reason why.

darwenhibby
12-01-2023, 12:43 PM
Couple of names I thought about
He might be 72 but Lexo would be good in that role
Another if he was up for it Neil Warnock??
Heard him say on the radio that he fancied taking us or hearts on a journey to challenge the old firm

BoyledEgg
12-01-2023, 02:59 PM
Heard him say on the radio that he fancied taking us or hearts on a journey to challenge the old firm

Warnock is a great shout.

bingo70
12-01-2023, 03:02 PM
Warnock is a great shout.

Doesn’t have any experience of Scottish football though and BK said that was one of the key things they were looking for.

04Sauzee
12-01-2023, 03:08 PM
Doesn’t have any experience of Scottish football though and BK said that was one of the key things they were looking for.

Believe it or not he's a bit of an Ayr Utd fan and takes in a number of games 😀
But I'm with you on this one.

H18 SFR
12-01-2023, 03:13 PM
Believe it or not he's a bit of an Ayr Utd fan and takes in a number of games 😀
But I'm with you on this one.

Morton, but you are right he is often at games up here.

04Sauzee
12-01-2023, 03:18 PM
Morton, but you are right he is often at games up here.

I knew it was Ayr or Morton so took a guess at Ayr 50/50 and got it wrong 😂😂

WhileTheChief..
12-01-2023, 03:45 PM
Do we think the DoF will be responsible for who we sign??

I hope not. I want our manager to do that, not anyone else.

bingo70
12-01-2023, 03:51 PM

That’s a fairly outdated view on how transfers work now I think. What happens if the manager gets sacked shortly after he brings in his players?

The manager should always be responsible for the final sign off of a player but it should be a recruitment department doing the scouting, research and due dilligence.

hibsbollah
12-01-2023, 03:57 PM

That’s the whole point of the DOF model. There’s literally no point of having one if the manager decides on the players in an Alex Ferguson stylée.

Bridge hibs
12-01-2023, 04:03 PM
Heard him say on the radio that he fancied taking us or hearts on a journey to challenge the old firmDoes he have good experience of the Scottish game ?

WhileTheChief..
12-01-2023, 04:08 PM
^^I don't think that's right.

George Craig for example, took responsibility for everything football related. Youths, injuries, manager recruitment, data analysis etc. Did we not also have scouts reporting into him?

If we're bringing in someone to do the job you're suggesting, that just sounds like a chief scout. No point in that.

Maybe I've missed something, but if we're now going down the road of our mangers not being responsible for who we sign, we're never going to fix the mess we're in.

It's what we've been moaning about for 2 years.

LJs not happy with our squad so that says to me that he wants an input in to who we sign.

If he's still just picking from a list that the new guy has produced instead of a list from Ian Gordon, what's the damn point?!

Jpdhfc
12-01-2023, 05:55 PM
Allan burrows just left motherwell do you think he might be in the mix.