PDA

View Full Version : Do football fans give managers enough backing and time in football??

Donegal Hibby
09-01-2023, 12:38 AM
Read this article on Shaun Maloney and even though I was one that wanted him gone ,did he have enough time? Ross done well though first bad spell and he's gone too , always felt he should have at least got to lead us out in the cup final and felt it made no sense to sack him before it ! Shaun Maloney has been remarkably dignified since his sacking from us and has spoken about Hibs in a good way which is a credit to him in how he's handled things imo . Alex Ferguson and Howard Kendall both were under pressure before turning things around ( two outstanding managers) which makes me wonder do we as fans give enough backing and time to managers ? .
https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/shaun-maloney-interview-celtic-belgium-martinez-rodgers/

SlickShoes
09-01-2023, 05:07 AM
I don't think they get enough time, but this is what modern football has become. I don't think we can go back now to managers being at clubs for years and years, if they do well someone bigger will be along to take them and if they do poorly they will be out the door before the fans completely turn on the club. The middle ground is mediocrity and no one wants that either.

Changing the culture at any workplace is extremely difficult and takes a long time, doing it at a football club is an unenviable task, the fans want instant changes but unless you are extremely lucky that's not going to happen.

Crunchie
09-01-2023, 05:09 AM
The simple and logical answer to that would be a definitive NO.

Back in the day before the internet, and before forums such as this, you analysed the game in the pub afterwards and at work on the Monday morning, you had a brief chat with supporters/friends the following week, if you went to away games that is, and that was it by the time the next game rocked up at ER a fortnight later.

Now you have so many online experts who think they know better than the manager that after one bad run of results they want him gone. You also have the ones who didn't want him in the first place and just chip away on a daily basis repeating the same stuff over and over. Even after yesterday's win we had the usual suspects telling us our midfield was no good and certain players need emptied asap, they just can't help themselves.
Check out every match day thread you'll see the same drum being banged by the same posters feeling the need to be heard.

Trinity Hibee
09-01-2023, 06:17 AM

Back in the day before the internet, and before forums such as this, you analysed the game in the pub afterwards and at work on the Monday morning, you had a brief chat with supporters/friends the following week, if you went to away games that is, and that was it by the time the next game rocked up at ER a fortnight later.

Now you have so many online experts who think they know better than the manager that after one bad run of results they want him gone. You also have the ones who didn't want him in the first place and just chip away on a daily basis repeating the same stuff over and over. Even after yesterday's win we had the usual suspects telling us our midfield was no good and certain players need emptied asap, they just can't help themselves.
Check out every match day thread you'll see the same drum being banged by the same posters feeling the need to be heard.

Are they wrong though? Maybe keep repeating themselves but some of it is perfectly valid

At the time I think the decision to sack Maloney was correct

Northernhibee
09-01-2023, 06:20 AM
As messed up as the club feels just now, Maloney was hopeless. Uninspiring character, awful tactics, awful negative defensive football, simply terrible.

In general we don’t give managers enough time, but in Maloney’s case it was a bit merciful IMO.

Jones28
09-01-2023, 06:40 AM
As messed up as the club feels just now, Maloney was hopeless. Uninspiring character, awful tactics, awful negative defensive football, simply terrible.

In general we don’t give managers enough time, but in Maloney’s case it was a bit merciful IMO.

Agree with this, I saw nothing from Maloneys time to suggest he deserved more when we were struggling. Johnson at least has shown something, and he has a lot more experience than Maloney.

bigwheel
09-01-2023, 06:43 AM
Agree with this, I saw nothing from Maloneys time to suggest he deserved more when we were struggling. Johnson at least has shown something, and he has a lot more experience than Maloney.

And to underline this , I’ve never heard any player say that they felt Maloney should have been given more time ..in public or in private …

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2023, 09:37 AM
Managers/teams are not allowed a bad season anymore, even for managers who have proved to us they can get good results and league placings.

The frothers cant help themselves, get rid, throw away, its the way it is these days. No manager lasts if they dont get us europe as a minimum now, even semi's and cup finals are not enough.

sauzeelegod
09-01-2023, 09:54 AM
I would have liked to see how we played this season if Maloney had been kept on and had been allowed to bring in his own players.

Some of the players he had to use were terrible..
Drey Wright etc.

Donegal Hibby
09-01-2023, 10:11 AM

What about in the case of jack Ross then ? . A manager that had us 3rd and got us into Europe, should he have been backed more by the club and fans ?

Northernhibee
09-01-2023, 10:15 AM
What about in the case of jack Ross then ? . A manager that had us 3rd and got us into Europe, should he have been backed more by the club and fans ?
Yes. Unquestionably.

Same with Mathie.

Trinity Hibee
09-01-2023, 10:16 AM

In hindsight I’d say yes but let’s not forget we were on a poor run under Ross and looked rudderless. Regularly getting men sent off in games. It wasn’t looking great at the time.

matty_f
09-01-2023, 10:17 AM
We covered this on longbangers recently, the average lifespan of a manager's career at Hibs is 18 months (from Duffy to now).

Very, very rarely have we changed the manager and had a sustained improvement. At best we stagnate, usually. Often we regress.

I think there’s a strong case to be made for persevering with a manager for longer than we do.

Trinity Hibee
09-01-2023, 10:19 AM
We covered this on longbangers recently, the average lifespan of a manager's career at Hibs is 18 months (from Duffy to now).

Very, very rarely have we changed the manager and had a sustained improvement. At best we stagnate, usually. Often we regress.

I think there’s a strong case to be made for persevering with a manager for longer than we do.

Thing is if they do well they get picked up by bigger clubs. Damned if you, damned if you don’t.

Crazy world of football management

matty_f
09-01-2023, 10:32 AM
Thing is if they do well they get picked up by bigger clubs. Damned if you, damned if you don’t.

This is true, however I think the next guy is more likely to succeed if a manager is head-hunted away.

LustForLeith
09-01-2023, 10:33 AM

Agree completely

I get why fans are unhappy with Hibs. But by the sounds of it some want a new manager, new board and new players

So we’re looking to get rid of everyone at Hibs and bring in another team, lock stock, altogether

Barring relegation, which I don’t think will happen, we should stick with LJ this season and into next

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2023, 10:34 AM

If our manager is poached by another club, he must have been doing something well. Then whoever comes in should have an easier job with a team that's probably doing well.

Donegal Hibby
09-01-2023, 10:36 AM
In hindsight I’d say yes but let’s not forget we were on a poor run under Ross and looked rudderless. Regularly getting men sent off in games. It wasn’t looking great at the time.
Yes , we were in a bad run and looked rudderless with men getting sent off in games though the only way a manager can change a clubs fortune's is by being backed financially in the transfer window which Ross didn't really get having done so well the year before. For me the timing of Ross's sacking was bizarre to say the least with the cup final coming up and was no way beneficial to Hibs at the time , I seem to remember David Gray saying he had phoned Ross for advice before the final as well

Trinity Hibee
09-01-2023, 10:38 AM
If our manager is poached by another club, he must have been doing something well. Then whoever comes in should have an easier job with a team that's probably doing well.

Agreed and you could point to the Mowbray/Collins and Stubbs/Lennon periods to show that. Does cause disruption though and a new manager will want his own players in etc (less if they team are doing well).

Think it points to the need for a DOF though as in the modern game no one hangs about for long.

SMAXXA
09-01-2023, 10:39 AM
As a general point No

Trinity Hibee
09-01-2023, 10:39 AM
Yes , we were in a bad run and looked rudderless with men getting sent off in games though the only way a manager can change a clubs fortune's is by being backed financially in the transfer window which Ross didn't really get having done so well the year before. For me the timing of Ross's sacking was bizarre to say the least with the cup final coming up and was no way beneficial to Hibs at the time , I seem to remember David Gray saying he had phoned Ross for advice before the final as well

All good points and I’m not disagreeing with much of it

Since452
09-01-2023, 10:40 AM
No. They want instant success. The intense scrutiny and pressure via social media gets owners nervous and trigger happy. There should be a rule where managers have to get a minimum amount of time i.e three seasons. They cant leave for another club during that time either. I think it would create a bit of security and let clubs build something and improve the overall quality.

WhileTheChief..
09-01-2023, 11:36 AM

Complete and utter garbage from start to finish, unless you're talking about yourself?

WhileTheChief..
09-01-2023, 11:45 AM
Can't talk for fans of other clubs but Hibs fans have been and continue to be sound.

We always give our managers tremendous backing to begin with. It's only when things are clearly not working that any form of pressure is put on them. Even then, it's generally mild stuff.

We rarely hear songs of "sacked in the morning' or 'you don't know what you're doing' for example.

When we've had decent managers, the support has been out of this world.

If you're only meaning about giving a manager backing on here or other social media, again, we're sound. A few posters get upset whenever anything remotely negative gets posted but that's about it.

It was the board that decided to bin Ross and Maloney. Absolutely nothing to do with the fans and there definitely were not loud calls for either to be sacked. There should have been for Maloney mind.

LJ has had amazing support considering the results this season. He'll get even more support if we go on a winning a run but will find himself under pressure if we lose the next 2 or 3.

That's exactly how it should be and I reckon is the same for most clubs in the world.

To stick by the wrong man simply for the sake of it makes no sense at all to me.

WhileTheChief..
09-01-2023, 11:49 AM
No. They want instant success. The intense scrutiny and pressure via social media gets owners nervous and trigger happy. There should be a rule where managers have to get a minimum amount of time i.e three seasons. They cant leave for another club during that time either. I think it would create a bit of security and let clubs build something and improve the overall quality.

:faf:

Nobody is looking for instant success, or certainly not any Hibs fans. I could be wrong I suppose, do you know any? I don't think there's any on here that's for sure.

We'd have been stuck with Butcher, Calderwood or Maloney.

I get that you've gone all in with you're backing of LJ and have been since day 1, but this is taking mental ideas to new heights.

The Modfather
09-01-2023, 11:51 AM
Managers/teams are not allowed a bad season anymore, even for managers who have proved to us they can get good results and league placings.

The frothers cant help themselves, get rid, throw away, its the way it is these days. No manager lasts if they dont get us europe as a minimum now, even semi's and cup finals are not enough.

Do you still have your “frothers” badge you earned with John Collins? Despite being one of the few managers to deliver a trophy, winning it in style no less 😀

HibeeHibernian4
09-01-2023, 11:54 AM

Not a bad season but even a bad month can be enough now!

Donegal Hibby
09-01-2023, 11:57 AM
This is true, however I think the next guy is more likely to succeed if a manager is head-hunted away.
I agree ,if a manager is head-hunted away it usually means that the team is doing well and have good players rather than one coming into a club that's getting beat regularly and has poor quality players which makes the new guys job much harder and takes more time to fix though as fans we probably don't really show a guy in this position at extra support or patience normally I say .

Fergus52
09-01-2023, 12:01 PM
Look at Arteta's Arsenal for what can happen when you stick with an underperforming manager and give him time to build a team in his own style, and several transfer windows to move on underperforming and uncommitted players and bring in his own.

From 8th place to title contenders in 18 months is great going, but the vast majority of Arsenal fans wanted him sacked for his first two years at the club.

jeffers
09-01-2023, 12:01 PM
I always make the same point when this topic gets raised. The managers we get rid of rarely if ever go onto to do a better job elsewhere.

I wonder if we’d appointed Johnson when we appointed Maloney if we’d have sacked him as early with the same set of results he’s delivered so far and if Maloney came in after he’d be given more leeway.

DH1875
09-01-2023, 12:09 PM
It depends on the manager and the circumstances at the time. You can't keep a poor manager because you sacked the two previous (and better) managers early.

matty_f
09-01-2023, 12:09 PM
I always make the same point when this topic gets raised. The managers we get rid of rarely if ever go onto to do a better job elsewhere.

I wonder if we’d appointed Johnson when we appointed Maloney if we’d have sacked him as early with the same set of results he’s delivered so far and if Maloney came in after he’d be given more leeway.

How long do they get in their new jobs? It’s just a pattern repeating. The lucky managers are the ones that take over teams who’ve lost their manager unwillingly, most other managers are on a hiding to nothing when they take over a failing team, unless they’re well backed by the owners, and even then it’s no guarantee that they’ll do well.

Crunchie
09-01-2023, 12:49 PM
Complete and utter garbage from start to finish, unless you're talking about yourself?
That was a worthwhile contribution, well done you.

Crunchie
09-01-2023, 12:51 PM

:top marks The decision to sack Ross was a disgrace, and those fans calling for his head even more so.

Since452
09-01-2023, 12:52 PM
:top marks The decision to sack Ross was a disgrace, and those fans calling for his head even more so.

Ludicrous decision that we are still paying for.

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2023, 12:56 PM
Do you still have your “frothers” badge you earned with John Collins? Despite being one of the few managers to deliver a trophy, winning it in style no less 😀
Of course. :greengrin

Stubbsy90+2
09-01-2023, 12:57 PM

:faf:

What absolute nonsense. Fans are something even more than a disgrace for wanting rid of a manager who had us on an absolute horror run. The same fans who have backed the club to the absolute hilt for years now.

Nae bother.

neil7908
09-01-2023, 12:58 PM
I think a fair question is response is, how many managers that we have sacked have gone on to bigger and better things?

That is surely the test. At one point it obviously looked like Ross might prove us wrong, but we know how that turned out.

Heck is doing very well, with Sheffield United sitting 2nd in league but I'm struggling for other examples of manager's we've dismissed who have proved us wrong in subsequent jobs.

neil7908
09-01-2023, 01:00 PM

Yeah, he really proved us wrong at Dundee United 😂😂😂.

jeffers
09-01-2023, 01:08 PM
How long do they get in their new jobs? It’s just a pattern repeating. The lucky managers are the ones that take over teams who’ve lost their manager unwillingly, most other managers are on a hiding to nothing when they take over a failing team, unless they’re well backed by the owners, and even then it’s no guarantee that they’ll do well.

All depends on whether we are seeing signs of progress imo. Admittedly I’m going back years but look at the early signs under Mowbray. It’s always going to be harder to take over mid-season, but in Johnson’s case he watched us before, knew what was wrong (apparently) and signed a slew of players while having pre season to get his message across. Bar results like yesterday we’ve got worse under him.

Look at the Huns, Beale has come in, turned things round with the same set of players GVB was struggling to get a tune out of. I don’t believe there’s any luck in that.

Donegal Hibby
09-01-2023, 01:17 PM
Can't talk for fans of other clubs but Hibs fans have been and continue to be sound.

We always give our managers tremendous backing to begin with. It's only when things are clearly not working that any form of pressure is put on them. Even then, it's generally mild stuff.

We rarely hear songs of "sacked in the morning' or 'you don't know what you're doing' for example.

When we've had decent managers, the support has been out of this world.

If you're only meaning about giving a manager backing on here or other social media, again, we're sound. A few posters get upset whenever anything remotely negative gets posted but that's about it.

It was the board that decided to bin Ross and Maloney. Absolutely nothing to do with the fans and there definitely were not loud calls for either to be sacked. There should have been for Maloney mind.

LJ has had amazing support considering the results this season. He'll get even more support if we go on a winning a run but will find himself under pressure if we lose the next 2 or 3.

That's exactly how it should be and I reckon is the same for most clubs in the world.

To stick by the wrong man simply for the sake of it makes no sense at all to me.
We do give our managers tremendous backing but in general it's short and sweet when we hit a bad patch . Jack Ross had us 3rd yet the following year after a bad run he is given the boot , why ? Attendance's dropping at ER and calls for him to be sacked from the fans imo had a massive bearing on it also getting rid of him before the cup final was a really poor decision. Think the chairman said mistake's were made on this matter and us fans I feel had somewhat aided in this decision imo . Maloney should never have been appointed imo though getting rid after 4 months didn't cover the club in any glory , I always felt Maloney's team were incapable of scoring though as he said Boyle was sold and Nisbet got injured which wasn't a ideal situation for any Hibs manager.Lee Johnson has came into our club and let's be honest about it when it's been absolutely struggling under two previous manager's with players that haven't been good enough , he's also got players on good wages and lengthy contracts that I'm sure he would like to move on ( easier said than done) , he's stated he needs time and 3 or 4 transfer windows yet 6 months in the job and theres calls for him to be sacked and threads on who we want next . Your right it makes no sense to stick with the wrong man simply for the sake of it though makes even less sense not to give one a proper chance imo . Some managers have taken over at us in exactly the right time while for others it's been one of the worst . Mowbray and Neil Lennon are two that took over in exactly the right time , the two that took over at one of the worst times imo would be Alan Stubbs and Lee Johnson both the last two needed and need more time than the first two imo

Danderhall Hibs
09-01-2023, 02:21 PM
We don’t give players time either. Some are written off after a 10 minute sub appearance. Just impatient in general or desperate to be first to say something and then claim “I’ve said it since the start”

WhileTheChief..
09-01-2023, 02:42 PM
We do give our managers tremendous backing but in general it's short and sweet when we hit a bad patch . Jack Ross had us 3rd yet the following year after a bad run he is given the boot , why ? Attendance's dropping at ER and calls for him to be sacked from the fans imo had a massive bearing on it also getting rid of him before the cup final was a really poor decision. Think the chairman said mistake's were made on this matter and us fans I feel had somewhat aided in this decision imo . Maloney should never have been appointed imo though getting rid after 4 months didn't cover the club in any glory , I always felt Maloney's team were incapable of scoring though as he said Boyle was sold and Nisbet got injured which wasn't a ideal situation for any Hibs manager.Lee Johnson has came into our club and let's be honest about it when it's been absolutely struggling under two previous manager's with players that haven't been good enough , he's also got players on good wages and lengthy contracts that I'm sure he would like to move on ( easier said than done) , he's stated he needs time and 3 or 4 transfer windows yet 6 months in the job and theres calls for him to be sacked and threads on who we want next . Your right it makes no sense to stick with the wrong man simply for the sake of it though makes even less sense not to give one a proper chance imo . Some managers have taken over at us in exactly the right time while for others it's been one of the worst . Mowbray and Neil Lennon are two that took over in exactly the right time , the two that took over at one of the worst times imo would be Alan Stubbs and Lee Johnson both the last two needed and need more time than the first two imo

A handful of fans at Livvi doesn't equate to the Hibs support in my eyes.

There were quiet noises of discontent around Ross and a few louder ones, but his sacking was 100% on RG. He admitted he got it wrong himself.

The board were under zero pressure from the fans to bin Ross.

I'm all for giving managers more time if they have us winning matches. Not so much when they can't. If LJ had us winning 8 out of 10 he'b be being treated like a footballing God by everyone at ER.

The crowds showing up at ER, despite the gash we've been watching, shows that we are a tremendous support. We're selling out hospitality most weeks too.

Fed up reading otherwise from posters on here. We all want what's best for the club.

Some of us strongly think that means a new manager. Why can't you just accept that we have a different view, and leave it at that?!

WhileTheChief..
09-01-2023, 02:44 PM
That was a worthwhile contribution, well done you.

It would've taken too long to go through your post line by line, so, you know, I was being succinct :greengrin

Donegal Hibby
09-01-2023, 05:34 PM
A handful of fans at Livvi doesn't equate to the Hibs support in my eyes.

There were quiet noises of discontent around Ross and a few louder ones, but his sacking was 100% on RG. He admitted he got it wrong himself.

The board were under zero pressure from the fans to bin Ross.

I'm all for giving managers more time if they have us winning matches. Not so much when they can't. If LJ had us winning 8 out of 10 he'b be being treated like a footballing God by everyone at ER.

The crowds showing up at ER, despite the gash we've been watching, shows that we are a tremendous support. We're selling out hospitality most weeks too.

Fed up reading otherwise from posters on here. We all want what's best for the club.

Some of us strongly think that means a new manager. Why can't you just accept that we have a different view, and leave it at that?!
The handful of fans you refer to that don't equate to the Hibs support in your eyes might have been small at Livingston but in general terms it was over 2,000 that we were down from attending ER from the year before also our minimum gate that year was around 5,600 compared to our minimum the year before of nearly 14, 000 that along with the discontentment in the stands I certainly think it would have had the Hibs board under pressure to act imo which they did at a very bad time before a cup final.Most of us would have thought Ross was a good manager in the year he finished 3rd with a 48% win rate and yet he became a bad one in under a year ? Hard to figure that one out ! Maybe if he had more backing he might have turned it around , who knows . I'm all for managers winning as well though I accept a new manager coming into a club that's been absolutely struggling badly the year before needs time and a few transfer windows to improve the team not 6 or 7 months just! I know you want Lennon back and you mentioned the good times he had though he came to us at a perfect time with a good solid team already built by another manager and in a league which we were expected to win .He then went on to have a excellent season though he kinda went along the lines of Ross then ( without the nasty incident though). If Lennon or any other manager was in Johnsons situation right now I'd be saying exactly the same thing (gave him a chance). Crowds are showing up at ER and some of what they have been watching is gash though there's been times when it's been good and entertaining as well . Think there was a lot done in the hospitality side if things which would have been a help too . Of course we all want the best for Hibs and if some of you feel strongly that we need a new manager that's fine I respect your opinion and do accept people have different views on it but I don't have to agree with them though do I ? As to leaving it at that I was just debating a different point of view that's all 😉

HibeeHibernian4
09-01-2023, 06:17 PM

But the different view some of you have will likely keep Hibs on a bad path. Look at the recent shambles of hiring\firing managers since Hecky. Wheres it got us? Just keep putting a new manager in is a terrible strategy and it won't get us anywhere. So when this vocal minority keep pushing it for it to happen expect some push back from the rest of us because we are fed up of the club being run like this.

Donegal Hibby
09-01-2023, 06:44 PM
Yeah, he really proved us wrong at Dundee United 😂😂😂.
This of course is absolutely spot on with a 14.2% win rate there , the flip side to this though is he had 38.24 % at Alloa , 52.5% St mirren, 50.67% Sunderland and 48.96% at us which isn't to bad really.

DH1875
09-01-2023, 07:28 PM
But the different view some of you have will likely keep Hibs on a bad path. Look at the recent shambles of hiring\firing managers since Hecky. Wheres it got us? Just keep putting a new manager in is a terrible strategy and it won't get us anywhere. So when this vocal minority keep pushing it for it to happen expect some push back from the rest of us because we are fed up of the club being run like this.

So do we stick with a crap manager because we sacked the previous managers then?

Donegal Hibby
11-01-2023, 12:16 PM
So do we stick with a crap manager because we sacked the previous managers then?
Is he a crap manager though?or one that's came into a team that's been badly struggling for over a year now and seen two previous managers lose there jobs over it , definitely think he needs longer than 6 or 7 months to try and sort out a team that's been in free tall for some time now!

superfurryhibby
11-01-2023, 04:31 PM
Is he a crap manager though?or one that's came into a team that's been badly struggling for over a year now and seen two previous managers lose there jobs over it , definitely think he needs longer than 6 or 7 months to try and sort out a team that's been in free tall for some time now!

Probably about right with that assessment. There's also the question of how much scope Johnson has to bring in players and how much he just manages what is provided?

For all that I grew very peed off with Ross' football style, I can't help thinking that if had been properly backed that second season then the club would be better off now.

Either way, we have an experienced manager who should have many contacts throughout English leagues. He needs backed now, this window and allowed to build a side.

Percy Vere
11-01-2023, 05:22 PM
Can’t believe you’re even putting this question forward in here.
Most times there’s a multitude in this forum writing off appointed managers before they even set foot in ER.
Managers do not get enough time but that won’t stop the wallopers baying for blood after every poor result.

Donegal Hibby
11-01-2023, 06:25 PM
Probably about right with that assessment. There's also the question of how much scope Johnson has to bring in players and how much he just manages what is provided?

For all that I grew very peed off with Ross' football style, I can't help thinking that if had been properly backed that second season then the club would be better off now.

Either way, we have an experienced manager who should have many contacts throughout English leagues. He needs backed now, this window and allowed to build a side.
Johnson's had a bad start at Hibs and results haven't been good enough though does that make him a crap manager after a relatively short time at us ? .His other managerial jobs would actually dismiss the crap manager comments having left 4 clubs in a better position than they were in before he joined . Maybe it just takes longer and is a harder job to sort out a football team that's been in decline for away over a year. I think Johnson's probably trusted recruitment to much and has spoke about this as our CEO has saying mistakes have been made which hopefully will be put right . If Ross had more backing it's a big possibility we would be better of than we are now but he wasn't and your right his football peed me off as well which is why names like Martindale and McInnes for the Hibs job fill me with fear now . He is a experienced manager who's been praised by someone of Pep Guardiola credentials as well and has improved 4 teams in recent years ( hopefully a 5th) . Jurgen klopp , Alex Ferguson and Mikel Arteta have all had bad starts at there first , last or current clubs though I certainly don't think they are crap manager's though all had bad starts though!

Carheenlea
11-01-2023, 06:50 PM
The handful of fans you refer to that don't equate to the Hibs support in your eyes might have been small at Livingston but in general terms it was over 2,000 that we were down from attending ER from the year before also our minimum gate that year was around 5,600 compared to our minimum the year before of nearly 14, 000 that along with the discontentment in the stands I certainly think it would have had the Hibs board under pressure to act imo which they did at a very bad time before a cup final.Most of us would have thought Ross was a good manager in the year he finished 3rd with a 48% win rate and yet he became a bad one in under a year ? Hard to figure that one out ! Maybe if he had more backing he might have turned it around , who knows . I'm all for managers winning as well though I accept a new manager coming into a club that's been absolutely struggling badly the year before needs time and a few transfer windows to improve the team not 6 or 7 months just! I know you want Lennon back and you mentioned the good times he had though he came to us at a perfect time with a good solid team already built by another manager and in a league which we were expected to win .He then went on to have a excellent season though he kinda went along the lines of Ross then ( without the nasty incident though). If Lennon or any other manager was in Johnsons situation right now I'd be saying exactly the same thing (gave him a chance). Crowds are showing up at ER and some of what they have been watching is gash though there's been times when it's been good and entertaining as well . Think there was a lot done in the hospitality side if things which would have been a help too . Of course we all want the best for Hibs and if some of you feel strongly that we need a new manager that's fine I respect your opinion and do accept people have different views on it but I don't have to agree with them though do I ? As to leaving it at that I was just debating a different point of view that's all ��

I think the “handful of fans” at the Livingston game is referring more to the small, but vocal group who chanted a few Jack Ross GTF’s and sacked in the mornings, rather than the general travelling support as a whole.

Nobody was happy that night, but I genuinely believe RG and BK got spooked by the chants and accelerated the dismissal a lot quicker than had there been no vocal chants that night and the situation reassessed once the dust had settled.

It was hard to defend a manager carrying on after such a dismal run, but few managers are allowed the luxury now of riding out poor runs and getting the opportunity to rectify things themselves rather than a new appointment being made.

Maybe Lee Johnson will be our first in a while to get that chance?

GreenGray
11-01-2023, 07:58 PM
I wish we’d given Maloney slightly longer, even till the end of the season maybe to see what he could do with that team.

Still think Maloneys biggest mistake was bringing in Caldwell, should have got someone more experienced and less ****.

As others have mentioned our approach with managers has rarely been successful and other clubs have proven given managers the time can work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carheenlea
11-01-2023, 08:07 PM
I wish we’d given Maloney slightly longer, even till the end of the season maybe to see what he could do with that team.

Still think Maloneys biggest mistake was bringing in Caldwell, should have got someone more experienced and less ****.

As others have mentioned our approach with managers has rarely been successful and other clubs have proven given managers the time can work.

Any time I glanced towards the dugout area more often than not Caldwell would be sat slumped in his seat or slouched against the side of the dugout not really doing an awful lot.

Never looked like he was much inspiration or had any dynamism and it always looked like Maloney needed a different type of character to forge a better management team.

Might have been a different character on the training pitch, but Caldwell never filled me with a lot of confidence as a solid assistant.

HoboHarry
11-01-2023, 08:09 PM
Man City losing 2-0. Yon Pep gadgie is useless, fire the khant......

dp00
11-01-2023, 09:16 PM
Just need to look at arteta ? Where did he have arsenal a few seasons ago.. the stuck by him and are reaping the rewards

Players know it’s play his way or don’t play

GreenGray
11-01-2023, 09:30 PM
Just need to look at arteta ? Where did he have arsenal a few seasons ago.. the stuck by him and are reaping the rewards

Pep and Klopp both started fairly poorly too.

Eyrie
11-01-2023, 09:44 PM

Maloney's two best games were the ones before he had the winter break to work with the players. After we came back we looked worse than we had under Ross so I'm not sure how giving Maloney even longer would have improved matters.

RIP
11-01-2023, 10:16 PM
Can’t believe you’re even putting this question forward in here.
Most times there’s a multitude in this forum writing off appointed managers before they even set foot in ER.
Managers do not get enough time but that won’t stop the wallopers baying for blood after every poor result.

I've had a bit of time on my hands since I retired so started a wee list of my favourite and non-favourite posters. Not judging them on their value to the human race, as there's many I've never met so know nothing about.

Based solely on whether they could demonstrate a balanced argument, share a valuable insight and avoid spreading nauseating negatively which is becoming deeply unpopular with the vast majority of longstanding members of this board.

It turned out that rather than there being hundreds or even dozens of trolls, I could only register about ten or so who seem psychologically unable to see good in anything Hibs. And they either start and/or post prolifically on the most negative threads.

When the silent majority of 'persevering' supporters get on their case they then close ranks and reposition themselves as 'defenders of free speech'

Wallopers is a more appropriate collective noun, in my elderly opinion. Or as my big faither used to say when he heard them at matches in the sixties - a bunch of jessies!

GreenGray
11-01-2023, 10:39 PM
Maloney's two best games were the ones before he had the winter break to work with the players. After we came back we looked worse than we had under Ross so I'm not sure how giving Maloney even longer would have improved matters.

I’d agree with that assessment (first half of Motherwell away in the cup) just think he should have at least got a summer window, particularly after that disastrous January one and losing Boyle.

Donegal Hibby
11-01-2023, 11:18 PM
I think the “handful of fans” at the Livingston game is referring more to the small, but vocal group who chanted a few Jack Ross GTF’s and sacked in the mornings, rather than the general travelling support as a whole.

Nobody was happy that night, but I genuinely believe RG and BK got spooked by the chants and accelerated the dismissal a lot quicker than had there been no vocal chants that night and the situation reassessed once the dust had settled.

It was hard to defend a manager carrying on after such a dismal run, but few managers are allowed the luxury now of riding out poor runs and getting the opportunity to rectify things themselves rather than a new appointment being made.

Maybe Lee Johnson will be our first in a while to get that chance?
Yeah I understand that about the small vocal support chanting about Ross getting sacked which no matter how small imo puts a certain pressure on a football board to act in favour of what the fans want . The over 2,000 fans that stopped going ( which they are entirely right to do ) on the previous year would add up to £60,000 or more and if they hadn't done anything they would know if it got worse they would be next to feel the wrath . So I do feel the fans had applied pressure on the Hibs board somewhat .

It's always hard to defend a manager on a bad run and your right few managers get the luxury of time on a bad run to rectify things at a football club now though in certain cases I do see the logic in it . Like our club for instance who have been toiling for a year or more now , any manager would need time to sort it out but more importantly he needs transfer windows to do this . And theres two major problems here players on good wages and lengthy contracts,who wont be easy to move on and a recruitment team that we know hasn't helped matters . Johnson is a experienced manager who has done well in previous jobs and I think will know now who needs to go and what players he will need to improve us , getting another manager in now starts the process from scratch again and is more a step backwards imo.

HerbDailly
12-01-2023, 12:37 AM
No, we don't, but it's difficult. The nature of football means 2 things are put above everything else - the last game and the next game.
There are people who can't deal with a poor 20 minutes never mind a bad run. It's how we're conditioned these days, and it manifests in a lack of patience. We want things better, now!

MWHIBBIES
12-01-2023, 06:02 AM

Thing is, Edu and Arteta were making a proper **** of it, sign guys like Willian and Luiz. They massively changed their approach and went after younger, hungrier but still excellent players. How many people laughed at the Ben White signing. Absolutely no one is laughing about him now.

If Hibs are going to stick with a manager long term, they need top quality people around him to support him. We're desperately lacking that now.