PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Motherwell 08 01 23)

Jonnyboy
08-01-2023, 04:23 PM
In what was a massive game for a number of reasons, Hibs came out on top to earn a welcome three points thanks largely to a fabulous Kevin Nisbet hat trick. I say largely because there were other important performances from his team mates that helped him boost his goals tally and two things resonated with me in that regard. Porto might be leaving but this was a fabulous and wholly committed performance from him and Aiden McGeady was outstanding in dispelling any thoughts about his ability, fitness and example setting.

Lee Johnson made three changes from the eleven that started against Hearts. Having served his suspension, Ryan Porteous took a place in the centre of defence in place of Paul Hanlon whilst Magennis and McGeady came in for McKirdy and Fish.

After Lee Johnson’s comments following the Hearts defeat, it was imperative that his players set out to right his perceived wrongs and in that regard, they looked up to it from the first minute. With Porteous and Magennis both subjected to pretty industrial challenges inside the first five minutes, it was clear the hosts were committed to stopping Hibs setting the pace but Elie Youan was the first to have a strike on goal with his shot drifting wide after he’d been set up by McGeady. The latter was looking really lively and a cross from the left was diverted goalwards by the head of Magennis but straight at the keeper. A defensive muddle allowed Blair Spittal to get a shot away but thankfully the Motherwell man sclaffed the effort wide of the post.

Just a minute or so later, McGeady’s trickery allowed him space to deliver a ball into Nisbet who controlled the ball with his right foot before striking a left footed effort past the helpless Kelly as the 1200 odd Hibs fans behind the goal roared their delight. The hosts were put on the back foot for a while with both a Porteous header and a McGeady strike missing the target but, slowly, Motherwell began to play with more confidence as they favoured attacking down their left where Cadden was struggling a bit and Youan was providing limited assistance to the full back. A Slattery shot was well saved by Marshall at the expense of a corner and Hibs didn’t deal well when the ball was delivered into the box. Eventually the ball arrived with Van Veen on their left and his cross resulted in Lamie striking the crossbar with a header. Soon after that near miss, Cadden had to go off injured and was replaced by Henderson which meant Josh Campbell had to slot in at right back.

Motherwell were having the better of it now and Marshall did really well to save a netbound shot after the ball came through the legs of a host of players before a Spittal header flew wide of the target. Sean Goss, who had fouled his way through the game, was lucky to escape a booking after deliberately kicking the ball straight at Henderson as the Hibs man lay on the ground after being fouled by McGinn. Soon after that, McGinn found himself in space near the edge of the Hibs box and had time to fire in a decent effort but that was well blocked by Porteous, ensuring Hibs would go in to the break leading 1-0.

The hosts started the second half in a positive manner and were providing substitute McKinstry with plenty of the ball as he faced Josh Campbell who didn’t look 100% comfortable in an unfamiliar right back slot. Five minutes into the half though, Nisbet took in a Youan pass and worked his way across the eighteen yard line, but he was off balance in getting a shot away and his effort cleared the bar by a distance. The Hibs man only had to wait another couple of minutes before his next shot hit the net. McKinstry fouled Magennis and Porteous took a quick free kick with the flight of the ball finding Penney off balance as Youan raced in behind him to deliver a fine low pass into the middle where Nisbet tapped home from close range.

The two goal cushion lasted just seven minutes as a long ball out from the back wasn’t cut out by Campbell and McKinstry was allowed to take a touch before striking a low shot into the net, through the legs of the advancing Marshall. Motherwell got a boost from that and enjoyed some good possession without really putting the Hibs defence under a lot of pressure. For their part, Hibs went looking for a third goal and a fine cross from Stevenson found Nisbet stretching just a bit too much to get his header on target.

I’ll be honest here, I was concerned that Hibs were just allowing Motherwell to have the bulk of possession and efforts from McKinstry, Slattery and Solholm (twice) could have proved very costly but blocks and a couple of saves kept the visitors ahead. In an effort to change the flow of the game, Lee Johnson replaced Magennis and Youan with Cabraja and Hanlon which resulted in Stevenson switching to right back with Cabraja taking the left spot and Hanlon slotting in alongside Rocky at centre back with Porteous moving into midfield, where he was joined by Campbell who looked a lot more comfortable playing further forward.

A mere sixty seconds after the changes, Hibs scored again although none of the substitutes had a hand it. Yet another foul by Goss on Nisbet allowed a quick free kick to reach Campbell on the right. Josh looked up and saw Nisbet lose his defender to run front post and sweep Campbell’s cross high into the net to make it 3-1. This put the visitors on the front foot for a spell and a couple of corners were earned as a result of this though neither came to much. The introduction of two more substitutes by Motherwell didn’t really have the impact Stevie Hammill will have hoped for and it took a hefty challenge on Nisbet to foil the striker from breaking through on goal. Solholm was the offender, and he was rightly booked for the challenge. From around thirty yards, Porteous struck the resulting free kick and though he struck the ball well and with pace, it didn’t trouble Kelly in the home goal.

Another double substitution saw Kenneh and Melkersen replace Nisbet and McGeady, both of whom looked pretty tired but that was hardly surprising as both had put in excellent shifts. In the last minute of the ninety, Newell was booked for a foul on Solholm and then in the first minute of the four added on, Motherwell nabbed a second goal as a forward pass down their right caught Cabraja under the flight of the ball allowing them to get a cross in that Hibs failed to clear allowing substitute Tierney to swivel and hit a shot inside Marshall’s left hand post.

I was back to fretting a bit now and with the seconds ticking down, Motherwell broke away down their right. Porto was racing back and clipped the heels of the ‘Well man in front of him but that went unseen by the ref. Porto continued his run back and a crucial foot was stretched out to stop a cross reaching an unmarked opponent who would have had a tap in. Thankfully, my fretting stopped soon after as the ref blew the final whistle.

Pretty much everyone knew we had to win this game and we did. Hopefully this will be the start of an uplift in our season and to follow it up by beating Dundee United next time out, would put a whole different complexion on where we are.

The players

Marshall – Had a couple of excellent saves and was blameless for the goals conceded.

Cadden – Had been struggling a bit in trying to mark two men before having to go off injured after half an hour.

Rocky – A decent performance from him over the piece.

Porteous – Looked more than comfortable at left centre back and had a positive influence on the outcome after moving into midfield.

Stevenson – Looked comfortable and assured in both full back positions and I felt McKinstry was much less of a threat once Lewis moved to the right.

Magennis – Always busy and always happy to take a pass regardless of how tightly marked.

Newell – Worked very hard and put in a few decent passes and tackles.

Campbell – Wasn’t really great at right back but managed an assist after he was moved forward. He reminds me of Ian Murray, in that his versatility means nobody really knows his most effective position.

Youan – Some bright spots and his pace clearly worried the Motherwell defenders. Got an assist and hopefully will learn from McGeady who looked up before crossing for the first goal. Elie needs to mimic that in future.

Nisbet – Kev looks back to his very best. Three well taken goals and his general play and workrate were both excellent. For obvious reasons, my man of the match.

McGeady – I think we saw today that Aiden still has much to offer. He was a menace to the ‘Well defence whenever he had possession, and it was fantastic watching him sprinting back to help out defending in the latter stages of the game.

Henderson – I really feel for the laddie as he is clearly struggling to find any kind of positive form. Perhaps a loan for the rest of the season would benefit him?

Cabraja – Proved to me at least, that Johnson is right to play Lewis ahead of him.

Hanlon – A couple of good clearances but if I’m going to be really picky, I’d like to have seen him try harder to prevent Van Veen setting up their second goal.

Melkersen – Nothing much to say as his time on the park was for only a few minutes.

Kenneh – Same as Melkersen really.

Lee Johnson – Must surely be a happy and possibly relieved man.

Referee – David Munro did ok I thought.

Far side Assistant ref – Like me, he could do with losing a fair few pounds!

1van Sprou7e
08-01-2023, 04:28 PM
was the fat ref not tory ****bag douglas ross?

JohnM1875
08-01-2023, 04:28 PM

Correct

Col L
08-01-2023, 04:30 PM
Cheers John! Nice to read a winning report.

Thought Porteous was tremendous today, a hand in two of the goals and at least two vital blocks/interventions that influenced things at the other end.

Anyone scoring a hat-trick is a worthy MoM, but Porto a close second for me. Just sad that he’s going to be offski soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
08-01-2023, 04:39 PM

Correct

The ref was David Munro. Douglas Ross was his fat assistant :greengrin

greenpaper55
08-01-2023, 04:41 PM

Would you rather it was a fat SNP ref ?

Jones28
08-01-2023, 04:56 PM
I liked Melkersons contribution, played sensibly and when he had the ball in their box instead of trying to forge an opportunity at goal he turned and moved the ball away towards the corner flag where Campbell held on to it for a good chunk of time and win a throw.

superfurryhibby
08-01-2023, 05:03 PM
Great summary JB, pretty much what I made of the game.

It wasn’t wonderful at times but the players battled hard and got the benefit of having that bit more quality than Motherwell.

I’m delighted for Kevin Nisbet, after serious injury, he’s come back strongly and I think he’s going to provide the goals that will take us up the table.

McGeady looked sharp and wasn’t short on confidence, he too can feel well pleased with his contribution todaY.

Well done Hibs, we really need that win, thank you.

B.H.F.C
08-01-2023, 05:11 PM
Nisbet and McGeady both looked very sharp today. McGeady, as long as he stays fit, is going to give us some much needed quality and composure. Hardly gives the ball away and anybody questioning whether he actually wants to be here only needs to look at the way he applied himself today.

Magennis still struggling to get going a bit for me.

Brilliant support again. Over 1200 in the circumstances is a great effort.

Allant1981
08-01-2023, 05:40 PM
Nisbet and McGeady both looked very sharp today. McGeady, as long as he stays fit, is going to give us some much needed quality and composure. Hardly gives the ball away and anybody questioning whether he actually wants to be here only needs to look at the way he applied himself today.

Magennis still struggling to get going a bit for me.

Brilliant support again. Over 1200 in the circumstances is a great effort.

I didn't think magennis looked fit today

DinkyTwo
08-01-2023, 06:25 PM
Great summary.

Stevenson, Porto, McGeady, Nisbet were the key players for us today in each area of the park.

Josh Campbell, MWell's first goal aside, I felt was pretty solid and slid in timeously to stop his man from getting in behind a few times. Seems like I'm maybe in the minority with that one.

Despite a well needed victory and being comfortable for probably 2/3s of the game, I still have some criticisms from that performance.

We need to get more out of Magennis. Positionally for me, he has to be played as our attack minded central midfielder, leaving JC and Newell to challenge for the ball and mop up possession.

Youan, whilst contributed in setting up the second goal, really needs to make better decisions when he's in a promising position. He clearly has pace to beat his man, but doesn't use it enough and often takes too long to decide what he's going to do with the ball and the chance is either gone or he pings in a cross after the opposition has had a lot of time to prepare for it. If we think we can get better, then I'm probably at the stage of being happy to call an end to his loan now, but only if we can find an able replacement.

Henderson had a terrible game and would be one I'd be looking to loan out, at least.

Cabraja. Not sure what has happened ro the guy after a promising start. Could be confidence. Could be his recent bereavement. Stevenson is our man for LB until the end of the season unless we can find someone new.

Melkerson when he came on played intelligently, kept possession and helped us see out an anxious few minutes. Impressed with his contribution.

Kennah, won a couple of challenges and didn't put a foot wrong.

I think that with a similar setup, we could win another 3 points against Dundee Utd, but we need to give them less time on the ball than we allowed MWell at times.

It'll be a tough game but win that and things are starting to look a bit more positive.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

wookie70
08-01-2023, 06:47 PM
I liked Melkersons contribution, played sensibly and when he had the ball in their box instead of trying to forge an opportunity at goal he turned and moved the ball away towards the corner flag where Campbell held on to it for a good chunk of time and win a throw.

I have been very critical of our game management over a number of years. To see two young players, particularly Melkerson who has not been given much a chance, do the right thing rather than try to play for themselves showed that the team spirit at ER is still pretty good. It is beyond me how little opportunity Melkerson has had as his attitude is fantastic and he definitely has some quality.

On the game as a whole I didn't think Campbell was too bad at right back as they attacked that side relentlessly due to Youan simply not defending. As for their first goal I think Campbell tries to play him offside but Rocky makes a lung busting run to play him back on. Josh should have still dealt with it though but overall he had a good game. Porteous was superb for a player essentially working his ticket. That will do us and him no harm when it comes for him to move. I thought McGeady looked very good in spells but we could have got him more involved further up the field. Youan could easily become a very good player if he could learn to cross the ball the way he did for the two Magennis assists more consistently. Good assist today but very wasteful as he was at Tiny. Plenty promise there though. Rocky is performing very well week after week and he may be heading for POTY at this point. Newall again fired some lovely early balls wide to give McGeady and Youan maximum opportunity to attack the full backs and Lewis as ever was 7/10 albeit he played pretty conservatively today not romping on as much as usual.

All in all there were two important things today. The 3 points were vital and that got ticked of the list and next was the reaction to last week's disaster and also LJs comments. I thought we moved more today albeit I was sat on the couch rather than the stand. Our defensive play is still pretty shambolic but for the most part I think players put their bodies on the line and gave everything. That to me says something about the manager, the players are still with him. The performance over all was not much better than many games we have lost but the pressure was huge and we overcame that and got the three points. A good day to be a Hibs fan and we haven't been able to say that enough the last couple of seasons

PH91
08-01-2023, 06:48 PM
Great summary.

Stevenson, Porto, McGeady, Nisbet were the key players for us today in each area of the park.

Josh Campbell, MWell's first goal aside, I felt was pretty solid and slid in timeously to stop his man from getting in behind a few times. Seems like I'm maybe in the minority with that one.

Despite a well needed victory and being comfortable for probably 2/3s of the game, I still have some criticisms from that performance.

We need to get more out of Magennis. Positionally for me, he has to be played as our attack minded central midfielder, leaving JC and Newell to challenge for the ball and mop up possession.

Youan, whilst contributed in setting up the second goal, really needs to make better decisions when he's in a promising position. He clearly has pace to beat his man, but doesn't use it enough and often takes too long to decide what he's going to do with the ball and the chance is either gone or he pings in a cross after the opposition has had a lot of time to prepare for it. If we think we can get better, then I'm probably at the stage of being happy to call an end to his loan now, but only if we can find an able replacement.

Henderson had a terrible game and would be one I'd be looking to loan out, at least.

Cabraja. Not sure what has happened ro the guy after a promising start. Could be confidence. Could be his recent bereavement. Stevenson is our man for LB until the end of the season unless we can find someone new.

Melkerson when he came on played intelligently, kept possession and helped us see out an anxious few minutes. Impressed with his contribution.

I think that with a similar setup, we could win another 3 points against Dundee Utd, but we need to give them less time on the ball than we allowed MWell at times.

It'll be a tough game but win that and things are starting to look a bit more positive.

Great post.

I'd like to see melkersen get a run in the team wide right ahead of youan, i think he has a bit about him. In an ideal world we would bring in a loan to end of season to cover boyle being out, though.

In midfield i hope we bring in a bit of quality to play beside newell and allow magennis to play a more forward role. He has shown he will get goals. Campbell is a decent squad player and will get plenty of game time but i'd like to see an experienced and vocal player in there.

I also hope we keep porto and let him go for nowt in the summer rather than a nominal fee now. We won't be able to bring in anywhere near his level and that could be a huge factor in the last part of the season.

hibsbollah
08-01-2023, 07:00 PM

Spot on, I noticed that too and for a young player that showed a lot of poise. Well played him.

Ringothedog
08-01-2023, 07:11 PM
Would you rather it was a fat SNP ref ?

Does it matter? he is correct in what he stated . And why does it have to be SNP, he might support Labour, they are the second biggest party in Scotland after all.

loanheadhibby
08-01-2023, 07:19 PM

Come on for goodness sake.
Is our ambition so low that you're trying to big up Melkersons contribution.
How long was he on the park?
It's the Hibs we're talking about here not Albion Rovers.

Kato
08-01-2023, 07:30 PM
It's the Hibs we're talking about here not Albion Rovers.Why don't you start a thread about "your ambition" for Hibs and list the players you'd sign to achieve them?

Slating the players we have as they don't match up to your ambition, which you have never expressed, is really poor. Especially as you're way of expressing it means you come over as a torn faced know it all. Maybe your not but your posts are obnoxious to fellow posters, Hibs players and Hibs.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Since452
08-01-2023, 07:33 PM
Nisbet on this form has been a huge miss. He can't be far off being our top scorer this season having just returned from a year out.

GreenCastle
08-01-2023, 07:40 PM
Did Magennis hurt his calf? Hopefully nothing serious and he's available next week.

Bridge hibs
08-01-2023, 07:56 PM
Did Magennis hurt his calf? Hopefully nothing serious and he's available next week.I thought he held his left knee at first then he moved into the box & was bending down but he was obscured by other players so couldnt see properly

loanheadhibby
08-01-2023, 08:00 PM
Why don't you start a thread about "your ambition" for Hibs and list the players you'd sign to achieve them?

Slating the players we have as they don't match up to your ambition, which you have never expressed, is really poor. Especially as you're way of expressing it means you come over as a torn faced know it all. Maybe your not but your posts are obnoxious to fellow posters, Hibs players and Hibs.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I would like to see us challenging Hearts and Aberdeen most seasons for 3rd place.
I feel with our resources we should always be top 5.
New signings is a difficult one as I don't know our financial situation.
I find it mind boggling on here that so many fans seem to be reasonably satisfied with how things are going.
For someone to post that they was happy with Melkersens contribution is frankly ridiculous but that's only my opinion.
I'm a fanatical Hibbie like most on here and am taken aback that you feel I'm obnoxious and a know it all.
I'm only giving my honest opinion at a time when we are really struggling.

number9dream
08-01-2023, 08:06 PM
Youan did well tracking back on a few occasions and is a real threat with his pace.
He doesn't look too comfortable on his right foot though and would maybe prefer being on the left and attacking opponents on the outside.
McGeady has played most of his career on the left and was excellent in that opening 20-25 minute period. If he can stay fit and wants to stay left, then I guess Youan will get more practice on the opposite flank.
Great to see Nisbet banging them in...

greenlex
08-01-2023, 08:09 PM
Don’t disagree with a lot of that JC. I would mention I thought Lewis could have maybe done better at the second but acknowledge he was a bit isolated.
I hope McIntyre gets some game time if Lewis has to fill in on the right.

B.H.F.C
08-01-2023, 08:39 PM
Don’t disagree with a lot of that JC. I would mention I thought Lewis could have maybe done better at the second but acknowledge he was a bit isolated.
I hope McIntyre gets some game time if Lewis has to fill in on the right.

Second was a really poor goal which just showed our softness defensively IMO.

Cabraja giving the ball away and just jogging back. Hanlon not being tight enough to Van Veen. Then Stevenson letting the boy get the shot away too easily.

We really need to do something about the defence in this window for me.

Hibeewilly
08-01-2023, 09:12 PM
Great summary.

I'm not Josh Campbells biggest fan but I thought he had a really good game today apart from their first goal......so agree with you on that one Dinky

Tarrahib
08-01-2023, 09:49 PM
Youan did well tracking back on a few occasions and is a real threat with his pace.
He doesn't look too comfortable on his right foot though and would maybe prefer being on the left and attacking opponents on the outside.
McGeady has played most of his career on the left and was excellent in that opening 20-25 minute period. If he can stay fit and wants to stay left, then I guess Youan will get more practice on the opposite flank.
Great to see Nisbet banging them in...
The few times I’ve watched Youan play I’ve always thought he preferred his right foot.He always seemed to run down the left wing and cut In onto his right foot.

JimBHibees
09-01-2023, 06:16 AM
The few times I’ve watched Youan play I’ve always thought he preferred his right foot.He always seemed to run down the left wing and cut In onto his right foot.

Think it is just the different angle from being a right footed wide player from the left. With McGeady more suited there you would assume Ellie would be on the right just needs to practice crossing from that side.

Mainstandman
09-01-2023, 08:24 AM
Henderson has to go out on loan or perm. He's just not good enough, he's had plenty of starts in a full year and showed he's not good enough. he did have a kick out at the motherwell player after the ball was hit against him, lucky he didn't connect otherwise he could have been off. Cabraja looks like he needs to have a break from football. Time to use some of our youngers players before they get hacked off and leave.

Jones28
09-01-2023, 08:41 AM
It's the Hibs we're talking about here not Albion Rovers.

Oh for god sake.

Will you just try, try once, to see positives in something?

Someone points out a positive and you thrash yourself stupid to try and counter it? Its pathetic, and boring to read.

Sometimes if you've nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

It was an important point in the game and he played with maturity, so loanheadhibby decides to attempt to rubbish it.

Well done you.

NAE NOOKIE
09-01-2023, 12:09 PM
Nice to see us win a must win game for once, but in true Hibs fashion we made it far more of a nail biter than we should have.

Marshall ..... One very good save and little chance with their goals.

Cadden .... Did fine until he had to go off, but nothing will convince me that this guy is a defender.

Rocky .... Was excellent throughout for me and put in some timely blocks.

Porteous .... Massive influence on the game, nobody can question his commitment that's for sure.

Stevenson ... Solid game, it's no surprise most of Motherwell's threat was confined to our right.

Newell .... Absolutely outstanding in the first half, not so much in the second, but if he does have one good game in 3 this was one of them.

Campbell ... Brought plenty of energy to the midfield and was doing ok at RB until Motherwell brought on that young lad who looks a player.

Magennis .... Did a few decent things, but I really think there's more to come from him, he still looks a wee bit less than 100%

McGeady .... Very good in the first half hour and showed a surprising burst of pace at times, definitely going to be the asset we hoped if he keeps this up.

Youan .... Quite a frustrating player, gets himself into good positions but far too often his final ball is poor, if he would pick his head up he could be a real danger man ... shades of early Ivan Sproul except Ivan wasn't scared of a 50/50 challenge ... I watched Youan shirk one about half way through the second half and its far from the first time this season.

Nisbet .... What can you say, the guy is paid to score goals and he's earning every penny, his movement and finishing for the 1st and 3rd were top class.

SUBS;

Henderson .... Didn't improve us one bit.

Hanlon ... Did fine when he was on.

Cabraja .... No idea what's gone wrong with him unless the loss of his father is still affecting him. Cost us a goal by absolutely needlessly giving the ball away with a shocking touch and then nearly cost us a late equaliser by getting caught under the ball allowing Motherwell to get into the final 3rd behind him.

Melkersen .... Did fine with his few touches.

Kenneh .... Not on long enough to make an impression.

Lee Johnson .... Looks depressed, lets hope that win cheers him up a bit and we make a few signings to make him even happier.

The Ref. Did OK but should have booked the Motherwell player who blasted the ball off Henderson.

Our away support. Considering that game came off the back of a terrible run of form, a doing from Hearts, and was live on the telly it was very decent, hats off to them.