PDA

View Full Version : Any older fans remember this early 70’s game?

Carheenlea
06-01-2023, 07:53 AM
A post on the Facebook Group Football Stadia and Grounds highlights an early 70’s Hibs away game to Fir Park which seemed to cause some confusion over what night it was. Was anyone there?

“Great discussion on low/no away support, so here’s a different take: fans turning up for a game that wasn’t scheduled? Long story…..

One Monday in the early 70s, many people were surprised to see the Daily Record listing a league match between Motherwell and Hibs for that evening. Monday wasn’t a common day for games back then - calls to Fir Park went unanswered (probably nobody there) then someone had the idea of asking the Lanarkshire Constabulary. Said individual asked the near-retirement desk Sergeant who almost had a heart attack when presented with a copy of that days paper (it was a fixture that could be somewhat lively back in the day). He went away with the paper and returned, stating that they had been told Tuesday and had planned accordingly. A few of us wandered up on the evening just to see if anything happened - two rather bewildered carloads of Hibs supporters did actually make the trip! News didn’t travel like it does now back then…..

Archie70
06-01-2023, 08:06 AM
I don’t remember that but talking about the lack of news I do remember turning up at a game just after kick off. A dire nil nil draw…or so I thought… bought the papers next day and we had won one nil scoring almost straight from the kick off. No flash score in those days and never thought to ask anyone as it was so early. Made for a good Sunday!

Forza Fred
06-01-2023, 08:43 AM
Nope

My era, but can’t say I remember that

Golden Bear
06-01-2023, 08:46 AM
I've no recollection of that ghost game either.

BILLYHIBS
06-01-2023, 09:28 AM
Do not recall this game at all

Looking through the records the only game I can find close to this is a 1-1 draw on a Tuesday night away at Fir Park on 10th April 1973 Division One Old

Alex Edwards made his return after a 56 Day ban Bobby Smith Jim McArthur and Tony Higgins ( scorer) were outstanding for HIBS with Pat Stanton excelling in the middle of defence

John Goldthorp equalised for Motherwell

Att 4405

Forza Fred
06-01-2023, 10:08 AM

Looking through the records the only game I can find close to this is a 1-1 draw on a Tuesday night away at Fir Park on 10th April 1973 Division One Old

Alex Edwards made his return after a 56 Day ban Bobby Smith Jim McArthur and Tony Higgins ( scorer) were outstanding for HIBS with Pat Stanton excelling in the middle of defence

Att 4405

Can we mind any Tuesday night games tbh.

Wednesday was the usual midweek day

BILLYHIBS
06-01-2023, 12:30 PM

Att 4405

Looks as though this was the game postponed because of the League Cup Final on 9/12/1972 as we lost 1-0 to Motherwell at home the following Saturday :confused: